Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 134 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 134 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and Uncle Alfred, they both reached the advanced age of eighty years, and were loved
and esteemed by every one who knew them.

Always a leader in progressive and constructive movements, Mr. Krick was one of
the organizers and a stockholder of the .\naheim Sugar Company. He was also a
charter member of the Anaheim Orange Growers Association, since changed to the
Anaheim Cooperative Orange Association, and has served as president of the .\naheim
Center of the Orange County Farm Bureau. Fraternally Mr. Krick is prominent in
Masonic circles, being a Master Mason, a Knight Templar and a Shriner. He was
initiated into Masonry at Wardsville, Canada, and has served three consecutive terms
as master of Anaheim Lodge, No. 207, F. & A. M., and for three years was inspector of
this Masonic district.

In early days Mr. Krick was secretary of the .\naheim Chamber of Commerce,
and he has never ceased to give of his best efforts toward advancing the interests of
his community, always standing for a high standard of the moral betterment of its
citizens. Both members of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Anaheim, Mr. and Mrs.
Krick have always taken an active part in its good works, giving generously both of
their time and means to its support.

JOHN LESLIE HAVER.— What the Fullerton Meat and Grocery store is doing
for the comfort, health and prosperity of the citizens of that city, those only who have
traded there for some time are able in full to comprehend. Its proprietor is John
Leslie Haver, who came from Kansas, where he was born at Highland on December
18. 1883, and brought with him to his task some of the invaluable Middle West spirit,
the inheritance of knowledge and traits from a father who was a successful business
man, and a go-ahead force of his own. His father was J. H. Haver, who came from
Pennsylvania to Kansas, and he married Miss Elizabeth \'ernon, whose native place
was also Pennsylvania.

The second in the order of birth, John Leslie received his education at the
grammar and high schools of his home town, and in October, 1906. came to California.
For three years he lived at Riverside and worked for Messrs. Newberry and Parker, and
then he was in Santa Ana for a year. In 1910 he came to Fullerton, and at the same
time, in partnership with A. C. Gerrard. Mr. Haver started the Fullerton Meat and
Grocery Store. In 1916 they started the groceteria at 243 North Spadra. known as the
Fullerton Groceteria, but in .^pril, 1917. he bought out his associate in both stores,
and since then he has been conducting the entire business himself. In the two places
he employs ten people, and even then is kept mighty busy catering to the wants of his
many and increasing patrons. He is one of the livest members of the Board of Tradei

In Santa Ana. on October 10, 1907, Mr. Haver was married to Miss Mary E.
Babbitt, a native of Hiawatha, Brown County, Kans., and the daughter of Worth
Babbitt, who with his wife now live in Santa Ana. Mr. and Mrs. Haver have two
children — Forrest Elden and Dorothy Jean, and attend the Christian Science Church. A
Republican in national politics. Mr. Haver has never sought nor accepted public office,
although extremely public spirited. He belongs to the Knights of Pythias, and is fond
of fishing and outdoor life.

HAROLD ARLINGTON WATSON.— The long-honored name of Jonathan
Watson, one of the most distinguished of Orange County's pioneers, is worthily borne
by his youngest child, Harold Arlington Watson, who may himself boast of an
enviable record for service in the great World War. As a rancher he is a successful
citrus fruit and walnut grower, operating the home ranch in connection with his
brothers. He was born in 1899. and was a junior in the Orange Union high school when,
on the declaration of war on Germany by Congress, he enlisted on April 7, 1917, as one
of the first to volunteer from Orange and Orange County — sharing with Percy .\twood
and Earl Granger of Orange the honor of being one of the lirst three. He joined
Company L of the One Hundred and Sixtieth California Infantry as a private, and
later became corporal, and after sixteen months' training at Camp Kearny, sailed
from Hoboken, N. J., on the "Nestor," for France. He landed first at Liverpool, and
then reembarked for Havre, on August 26, 1918. He trained at various places in
France preparatory to going to the front, and at the time of the armistice, narrowly
escaped death from the "flu." He landed at New York on March 24. 1919, and was
honorably discharged at Camp Kearny, in California, on April 16, 1919.

Mr. Watson then doffed the corporal's uniform and went to work on his father's
ranch, which had been turned over to the three boys, Floyd E.. a member of the auto-



1204 HISTORY OF ORAXGE COUNTY

electrical tirm of Thompson S: Watson, Errol Trafford ^^'atson and our subject. The
latter two sons assume active control, aided in various ways by Floyd. They raise
oranges, lemons and walnuts, and nowhere for miles around may fruit of a higher
quality be found. Having mastered the details of ranch work when he was a boy, as
did his brothers before him, Mr. Watson has found no difficulty coping with the many
agricultural problems of the day.

From his father, whose record for endurance and accomplishment is so remark-
able in many ways, Mr. Watson has inherited not only his love for the great outdoors,
but his proficiency as a marksman. He was, therefore, one of the best five rifle shots,
with Springfield rifles, in his regiment of over 3,500 men, and was a prize marksman
at all the ranges. He is a member of Post No. 132, American Legion, at Orange.

Just before leaving for France Mr. Watson was married to Miss Bernice Wilbur,
a native daughter, of Orange, and one child was born to them, Jeanne M. Mrs. Watson,
as a popular belle, was the daughter of Dr. D. F. Royer of that city. A most distress-
ing accident deprived these devoted young parents of their little daughter, Jeanne, only
fourteen months old. The little one, with their parents, was visiting at the home of
the beloved grandfather, when an automobile, backing out, ran the child down. The
baby was rushed to the Anaheim hospital for operation, but died soon after reaching
there. The tragedy brought the deepest sorrow to a host of friends, as well as to the
bereaved parents.

JOHN C. KEEFE.— A clear-headed, able-bodied man of three-score and fifteen
years, whose mental vitality is demonstrated in the valuable, patented inventions to
his credit, and whose physical vigor is equally well shown in his personal management
of a forty-acre farm, is John C. Keefe. a type of .\merican always an asset to any
commonwealth, and especially to a rapidly-e.xpanding empire like that of the state of
California. He was born in Chicopee, Hampden County, Mass., on June 27, 1845. the
grandson of a sturdy Irish emigrant who left the historic and picturesque County of
Cork in 1798, and pushed out for the New World. He had a son, Cornelius Keefe, the
father of our subject, who married Miss Hannah O'Connell and died at Chicopee
when John was five years old. He had been a skilled worker in the plant of .\mes
Bros., long better known as the firm of Oliver Ames & Sons, Oliver .\mes having been
a blacksmith, who early acquired reputation in the making of shovels and picks. The
Civil War in particular gave them an extensive field for supplying both shovels and
swords to the Federal Government.

After the death of her husband, Mrs. Keefe moved from Chicopee to the upper
part of New York City known as Harlem, where they lived with Mrs. Keefe's sister
and John's uncle, and during this period the lad had a chance to ride on the first car
of the new street railway running from New York City proper to Harlem, a distance of
seven miles, and drawn by mules. In 1851, with his grandfather, Timothy O'Connell,
his mother, two aunts and an uncle, John traveled further west, and lived on a timber
claim of 640 acres in Washington County, near Milwaukee, Wis., and as a sturdy boy,
he helped clear and develop that land. In 1853. the Black Hawk Indians returned to
Washington County, and they had a tribe pow-wow. He saw a good deal of the Red-
skins, for their acreage was full of berries and game, and naturally became the hunting
grounds of the savages.

While thus living in a log cabin, he worked during the summer time and went
to school in winter; and being considered a good student, at eighteen he was given a
teacher's certificate and for a couple of years taught school. In 1868, he matriculated
at the University of Wisconsin, where he was graduated in 1872 with the B. S. degree.
The next year he was made principal of the Barton high school.

In 1873, he became the private secretary to William E. Cramer, editor of the
Milwaukee Evening Wisconsin, and a year after that was made a reporter on the paper,
ajid then, in 1875, the financial editor. And in the Centennial Year he became city
editor of this paper. He has a splendid flow of language, is well read and traveled,
and with his retentive memory is an interesting conversationalist. He writes in an easy
and flowing style and his articles, while he was a journalist, were very favorably com-
mented on by critics.

On September 1, 1878. Mr. Keefe was married to Miss Helen Marie O'Neal, a
native of Milwaukee, and the daughter of Edward and Hilda (Johnson) O'Neal. Mr.
O'Neal had been mayor of Milwaukee for six terms, and at the time of their marriage,
was a banker in that city. He sent his daughter to the Convent of the Holy Name in
Milwaukee, and there she was given the education deemed necessary for a lady in
polite society and a practical world.

With Mr. O'Neal's aid. Mr. Keefe built the Milwaukee Cracker and Candy Com-
pany, but in 1892. when it had so grown that it was doing a business of a quarter of a
million dollars a year, he sold out his interest, and went in for the making of metal



HISTORY OF ORAXGE COUNTY 1207

furniture for bank vaults and offices. He patented a knife that would cut sheet brass,
at the same time that it bent it into a half-round shape, making a metal used in office
furniture facing; having previously made two other notable inventions: a patent oven,
for quick baking, put out in 1879. and a patent bill-file, now extensively used in offices,
and given to the commercial-stationery world in 1894.

When Mr. Keefe at length disposed of his holdings in this metal-furniture factory,
he spent the following two years in handling realty in Milwaukee, and first came to
California and West Orange in 1900. Then he traded some iron mine property in
Northern Michigan for a ranch of forty acres, now his home place, and there he himself
has since planted five acres of walnut trees, ten acres of Navel oranges, five acres of
Valencia oranges — now rather old trees — five acres of young Valencias, and two acres
of lemons, leaving the balance vacant land. He also built his own home. His inventive
faculty has frequently stood him well in stead, and has doubtless inclined him to
experiment in the production of new fruit, among them a seedless lemon, as well as
developing sugar pears and a new kind of walnut from the buds of the Eureka and
Placentia walnuts.

Three children have blessed this fortunate union and Mr. and Mrs. Keefe.
Edward Neil Keefe has charge of the branch postoffice at the corner of First and
Rowan streets in Los Angeles, and there are Clarice and Alice Keefe, the former named
after Sister Clara Keefe, the renowned war-nurse who, with the aid of an aged man
and old horse and wagon, brought in many wounded soldiers from the battlefield of
Antietam, taking them into a hospital at Baltimore. Mr. Keefe is a member of the
Catholic Church of Santa Ana, and while in Milwaukee was the principal founder of the
Knights of W'isconsin, a Catholic order begun in 1892 and since developed into a large
organization. While not a spiritualist in the accepted term, Mr. Keefe has been in
communication with the spirit world for the past five years.

JOHN PEMBERTON BAUMGARTNER.— California owes much of her mar-
velous and rapid development to her journalists, prominent among whom may be
mentioned John Pemberton Baumgartner. the principal owner, general manager and
editor of the Santa Ana Daily Register, the largest and leading daily newspaper of
Orange County, and the only daily published at the county seat. Before coming to
Santa Ana in 1906. he had achieved exceptional success in the development of newspaper
properties in several of the larger Southern California towns. He published a model
and very successful weekly in Riverside for several years, and then consolidated that
paper with the Riverside Daily Press, of which he became part owner and business
manager. A few years later, when he had greatly enlarged and improved the Press,
he sold his interest and bought the Pasadena Daily Star; and in seven years he
developed the Star into a fine newspaper property, which he then sold. A few months
later he bought a controlling interest in the Long Beach Press, and, although he never
lived in Long Beach, he directed the development of that property, under the manage-
ment of C. L. Day, into one of the finest papers of its class on the Pacific Coast.
Meantime, he had purchased the Santa Ana Daily Register, which he was giving his
personal attention, and to which, a few years later, when he had sold the Long Beach
Press, he devoted his entire time. Since the Register passed into Mr. Baumgartner's
control it has been developed from a paper with a circulation of 800 copies to a semi-
metropolitan publication with a circulation of nearly 7.000. and it is conceded by
newspaper men to be the biggest and best newspaper of its class in the country.

Mr. Baumgartner was born on February 9. 1861. in Columbia. Boone County, Mo.,
and there received his scholastic' training. He was able to attend the public schools
until he was twelve years old, and then for three years he was a farmer boy. During
the next two years, the family having returned to town, he continued his schooling, and
for a short time he was a student at the Missouri State University. It will thus be
seen that he was almost entirely self-educated. In his early youth Mr. Baumgartner
forecast and laid the foundation for his newspaper career by becoming a newsboy; and
with the exception of the three years he spent on the farm, he sold St. Louis and
Kansas City newspapers on the streets of Columbia most of the time between the ages
of eight and seventeen, and part of that time conducted a general newsstand there.
When seventeen, on account of threatened ill health, he went to Texas, driving thither
in a wagon from his home in Columbia, to Sherman, in Grayson County. Returning to
Columbia a few months later, he worked as a reporter on the Boone County Sentinel.
and soon became the manager and lessee of that paper. In 1885 he became a reporter
on the St. Louis Chronicle, and in August of that year he married Lida Sexton, a
native of his home town. Soon after his marriage he returned to Columbia, Mo., to
assume, in a large measure, the editorship and management of the Columbia Herald, in
which position he continued until August, 1887, the suinmer of the great "boom" year,
when he came out to California for the first time.



1208 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

His hrst newspaper work in this state was as a reporter on the San Diego Union,
and from there he went to Riverside, in the spring of 1891, and after a few months as
editor of the Riverside Phoenix, he established the Riverside Reflex, a weekly paper
which, within a few months, absorbed the Phoenix. His next progressive step was
the consolidation of the Riverside Reflex with the Riverside Daily Press. Frorn that
time on, as related above, Mr. Baumgartner's progress as a California newspaper man
has been steadily onward and upward.

Mr. Baumgartner has always been active in district, state and national newspaper
organizations. He was for five successive terms president of the Southern California
Editorial Association, and in 1907, at the convention in New Orleans, he was elected
president of the National Editorial Association. The following year he presided over
the convention at Detroit and took the National Convention on an eight days' excursion
through eastern Canada. By reason of having held the office of president of the
National Editorial Association, Mr. Baumgartner became a life member of the organi-
zation, and now holds the ofiice of past president.

He is essentially an all-around newspaper man, being equally at home in any
department of the business. He is a forceful and graceful editorial writer, and as a
business builder he has few equals in country newspaper fields. Every paper with
which he has ever been connected has been not only a business, but a journalistic
success. Although often solicited to enter public life, Mr. Baumgartner has preferred
to be just a newspaper man, and the only public office he has ever held was one involving
much hard work without pay — that of a member of the California State Conservation
Commission.

CHRISTIAN ANDERSON. — A hard-working, self-made man who has become a
very successful rancher, partly perhaps because he believes in treating the other fellow
as he would like to be treated himself, is Christian Anderson, the youngest son of
Andres and Meta Christina (Jepsen) Thygesen, who was born in Schleswig-Holstein,
northern Germany, July 10, 1865, and came to America on March 28, 1888. He went to
the usual, thorough schools, and at fourteen was confirmed, so that he pushed out into
the world to care for himself, at an age when many boys are still enjoying the environ-
ments of a pleasant home. Both of his worthy parents are now dead.

Mr. Anderson had California, fortunately, for his destination, and he was also
lucky to come direct to FuUerton. In the fall of 1892, he purchased twenty acres of
open land to the east of Fullerton, and for a while his chief crop was cabbage; but in
1894 he began to set out citrus trees, and by fall he completed the first five acres, and
he has kept setting out oranges until the twenty acres was set to fruit. Then he pur-
chased, in 1904, the twelve acres adjoining, which is in walnuts. In 1900, he
built for himself on the ranch both a dwelling and the necessary outbuildings, all of
which are creditably substantial.

Mr. Anderson is a charter member of the Anaheim Union Water Company, and
he also owns stock in the Placentia Bank. He markets his oranges through the Pla-
centia Orange Growers Association and his walnuts through the Fullerton-Placentia
Walnut Association. A brother, Nels Anderson, has three wells producing oil on his
land, and is fast becoming interested in oil prospects, and Tige Anderson of Placentia
is another brother. Mr. Anderson is a Republican, and as such endeavors to elevate
the standards of American citizenship, and to increase the spirit of patriotism.

PETER STOFFEL.— The same qualities of perseverance, industry and thrift
that made possible the success of Peter Stofifel as a grain farmer and stock raiser in
Kansas have insured the gratifying prosperity which has attended his eflforts since he
came to California and engaged in citrus culture. Although not a native of the United
States, Mr. Stoffel has no recollection of any home other than this country. He was
born in Luxembourg, Germany, July 9, 1864, and when only two years old, in April,
1866, his parents came to America, locating in Jackson County, Iowa. Here he
received his early education in the public schools. In 1877 the family moved to Kansas,
locating in Sedgwick County, near Wichita, and Peter finished his education at a
business college in W'ichita. His father was a large farmer, owning several farms, and
at first Mr. Stofifel rented land from his father, but later he bought 160 acres and
developed this acreage into one of the best farms in the county, raising grain, cattle
and hogs. Always very active in politics, he was prominent in the local affairs of his
party, being a member of the Republican Central Committee and the Congressional
Committee. For fifteen years he was assessor and trustee of Attica Township, Sedg-
wick County, and for nineteen years clerk of the school board.

In 1880 Mr. Stoflfel's brother made a visit to Anaheim. Cal., and sent such glowing
accounts back to his brother that in July, 1906, he also came to Anaheim, and was so
much pleased with the country that he decided to locate here. He bought the Wallace




^^/^/U^^^-ccn^ ^ /hio(^siJi^,.&-Lx^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUXTY 1211

grocer}- store on East Center Street and enlarged the business, employing six clerks,
and he also purchased his present house and six lots at 520 West Center Street. After
four years he sold out his grocery business. In the meantime he had bought twenty-
nine acres of raw land four miles southwest of Anaheim, and there he has developed
one of the best fruit ranches in the district, five acres being in lemons and the remainder
in Valencia oranges. He paid $15,000 cash for this place, and has since added many
improvements, including a pumping plant. In 1920 the grove produced 4,000 boxes of
oranges. In July, 1919, he bought twenty acres more near by, which he leveled and
which he has set to walnuts. He gives his personal attention to the care of these
places, and the hard work that he has put in shows itself in the line grove he has
developed. He and his brother were the first men to come to Anaheim from Sedgwick,
Kans., and with his enthusiasm over the possibilities of Orange County, Mr. Stoffel has
not been content alone to reap the benefits of climate and soil, but has encouraged a
number of his former neighbors and friends in Sedgwick County to locate here, in
that way showing them the road to prosperity and at the same time helping in the
development of the wonderful resources of the county. All the settlers who have
come through Mr. StofFel's recommendation are well pleased with the locality, and
have bought ranches and prospered.

Mr. StofTel's marriage united him with Mary £. Geiger, a native of Indiana, and
they are the parents of ten children, eight of whom are living: Mrs. Johanna Kramer
of Anaheim; Bernard A., who served his country during the war, being stationed at
Camp Lewis with a machine-gun company; Mrs. .Annie E. \'oIz, deceased; Joseph,
deceased; Edward H.; Cora A.; Otto J., with his father on the ranch; Victor; Clara;
and Herman J. They are also rearing a grandchild, Frank Volz, the son of their
deceased daughter. Progressive and enterprising, Mr. Stoffel occupies an hono.cJ
position in the community for his sterling and substantial qualities as a citizen.

ALFRED SHROSBREE. — An interesting English-.A.merican couple who, as
pioneers at Huntington Beach, have done much to lay broad and deep the foundations
there, are Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Shrosbree, who are enjoying their retirement after
many years of hard work. Mr. Shrosbree was born at London, on February 17. 1844,
and grew up in the delightful environment of Old England, under the inspiration of a
scientifically-inclined parent; for his father. William Shrosbree, was a taxidermist, and
mounted animals gathered from various quarters of the earth. He ran a taxidermist's
store in the world's metropolis, and was visited by globe-trotters. He was born,
married and died in London. He married Miss Maria Webb, also of London, who
passed away in that city. They had nineteen children, among whom Alfred Shrosbree
was the fourth child in the order of birth, as he is the only one of the family now
living, although nine grew to maturity. Several of the brothers were taxidermists.

Alfred attended the common schools and was brought up in the Church of
England. He learned the ivory-carver's trade in all its branches, and was proficient
in carving, turning and flat work. Later he took up the trade of the carpenter and
builder, but suffering severely from bronchitis, at the age of twenty-seven he determined
to seek relief by a change of residence and air — that is, to come to America. He sailed
from Liverpool on August 31, 1881, taking passage on the steamer City of Brussels,
and landed at New York City. At first he came west only as far as Adams County,
Nebr., where his wife's father, Richard Miles. lived and farmed; and there the bronchitis
left him. He has never been back to England since.

In Nebraska, in 1883, Mr. Shrosbree was married to Miss Elizabeth Miles, a
native of Oxfordshire, England, who had come to .America several years before: and
for twenty years he worked as a contractor and builder, with headquarters at Blue Hill,



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 134 of 191)