Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 137 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 137 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


K. T., and with his wife is a member of Yorba Linda Chapter. O. E. S. A charter
member of the California Avocado Association, Mr. Knight is one of its most enthusi-
astic members, and never misses a meeting of the organization. A liberal in politics,
he is intcresttd in all the progressive movements of the locality. Fond of outdoor
life, he tinds much recreation in exploring the high Sierras.

A. K. CRAVATH. — A public-spirited official who has labored long and accnm-
plislied much at his own private expense for the benefit of the mass of his fellow-
citizens, is A. K. Cravath. the wide-awake and popular deputy sheriff of Orange County,
who was born in Chesterville. Knox County. Ohio, eight miles from Mount Vernon,
on April 23. 1852. His father, Samuel P. Cravath born in Genesee County, N. Y., was
a cabinet maker, with his own shop and trade; and he had married, in Pennsylvania,
Miss Katherine Freeman, born in Crawford County, Pa. They moved to Will County,
111., in 1855. and there Mr. Cravath rented a farm for three years; after which they
removed to Worth County. Iowa, where l.'.ey purchased a quarter-section farm lying
along the Minnesota state line, which they devoted to corn and stock.

The lad, .\. K., was educated at the district school at North Wood and linished
his studies in the Baptist Seminary at Osage. Iowa. Then he returned to the home
farm and continued to assist the folks at home until June, 1872. In that year he came
to California with his sister, Mrs. C. C. Watson and her husband, a Civil War veteran
who had lost an arm, and settled in San Diego County, where Mr. Watson purchased
a ranch of 320 acres in Powey Valley, which he devoted to dry farming and stock
raising. Mr. Cravath continued to live and work in San Diego County until he acquired
P80 acres in one .tract in Powey Valley, and 870 acres in another tract in Bernardo,
half way between Powey and Escondido. The home place, however, he sold in 1886,
and then he became assistant manager in the Escondido Land & Town Company,
which was operated by San Diego capital, and with that company he remained for
eight years.

When he sold out his interest in 1894, he removed to Santa .\n?., and he has lived
in the latter town ever since, serving as deputy sheriff for eight years under Lacy and
for four years under Jackson, at the present time being associated with the district
attorney's office as special invest'gator. Nearly all the time he has been connected with
the police and constable departments. In national politics a Progressive Republican,
Mr. Cravath has endeavored most conscientiously to discharge his duties as a citizen
in favor of the highest civic standards, independent of all partisan considerations.

Mr. Cravath may be said to be the father, in many respects, of Escondido. where
he built the first home and the first business block — at the corner of Grand Avenue
and Lime Street — then known as the Escondido Bank block and now familiar as the
home of the Escondido National Bank, which he organized in the boom year. 1887; a
prime mover in incorporating the city of Escondido he was a member and chairman
of its first board of trustees. He built, in fact, many of the best homes in Escondido.
and spent the best years of his life, and the best part of his private capital, in develop-
ing, first the water system of Escondido. and then the water supply in the neighboring
valley, thereby bringing to a high state these much-needed pubic utilities. He brought
the water down from the San Luis Rey River, from what is known as Palomar in the
Smith Mountains, accomplishing a great engineering feat, by means of tunnels, ditches
and flumes, in leading the water across intervening ridges. One tunnel of 640 feet
through solid rock, at San Luis Rey River, connected with a flume and then a ditch,
carried the flow for sixteen rniles through what are known as horseshoe bends, to
Valley Center and after that through another tunnel 470 feet long, emptying the water
into a reservoir in Little Bear Valley, from which the supply was sent to various parts
of the valley. This work was completed in the fall of 1893. and has ever since proven
ine of the most useful public utilities in Southern Californ'a. The cost of the ditch
line w-as first estimated by the consulting engineer. John D. Schuyler, to be sure to
approximate a round quarter of a million dollars; but it only cost $93,000. a matter of
congratulation to all concerned. He w^as twenty years ahead of his time and had a
hard time getting the people interested and to see the vast benefit of ownng the water
rights. Mr. Cravath was sheriff of San Diego County, rilling the unexpired term of



1230 HISTORY OF ORAXGE COUNTY

John L. Folk, filling the office made vacant through his removal, by the Superior
Court. He completed the term but was not a candidate for reelection. This e.xacting
work made him familiar with criminal cases, and he has long enjoyed the reputation of
being among the best-posted men on Southern California criminal affairs.

On December 1. 1877, Mr. Cravath was married to Miss Kate Sikes, a native
daughter who first saw the light in Santa Clara, where she was educated at the district
school. Her parents were Zenis and Elizabeth Sikes and her father owned 2.2Q0 acres
of the Bernardo ranch in San Diego County, which he purchased after he had come
from Santa Clara in 1872. Nine children, three sons and six daughters, were born to
Mr. and Mrs. Cravath. Bertha was the wife of Harold Welch and she died in Colo-
rado, leaving a son, Newell, whom Mr. and Mrs. Cravath have raised from a babe;
Howard A. is a druggist at Bakersfield: Clifford C. resides at Laguna Beach, and is '
the manager of the Philadelphia "Nationals" baseball team: Gertrude R. is deputy
county clerk of Kern County: .\rlie M. is assistant secretary of the Chamber of Com-
merce of Santa .Ana; Irene resides with her parents: \'erian is employed in the Unique
Clothing Store at Santa .Ana; Muriel D. is the stenographer of Messrs. Koepsel and
Eden at Santa Ana, and Bert S. is employed by the U. S. Government in .\rizona, devel-
oping water wells for the Navajo and Hopi Indian Reservation.

JOHN HENRY LANG, M. D.— Since 1911 Dr. John Henry Lang has been a
resident of Fullerton and among the town's leading surgical and medical practitioners.
He is a native of Cape Girardeau County, Mo., where he was born July 26, 1882.
His father, W. E., now deceased, and mother. Mary C. (Schultz) Lang, were farmers,
and of their family of nine children John Henry was the seventh child in order of
birth. He received his preliminary education in the public schools of his native state
and at the State Normal school at Cape Girardeau, and in choosing a profession in
life chose that of his grandfather, David Lang, a prominent M. D. in his day and
generation. Dr. J. H. Lang's professional training, which has placed him among the
foremost exponents of the science of surgery and medicine wherever he has prac-
ticed, was acquired at the St. Louis University Medical Department, from which he
was graduated with the class of 1906 with the degree of M. D. In selecting a place
to begin the practice of his profession he chose Centertown, Mo., where he practiced
successfully for five years before locating at Fullerton, Cal., in 1911. His surgical
work is generally performed at the Fullerton Hospital. On two different occasions
he took post-graduate courses at St. Louis and Chicago.

His marriage occurred October 17, 1906, uniting him with Miss Carrie Blanche
Milster, a native of Perry County, Mo., and they are the parents of three children:
Beatrice Lucile, Helen Dale and Howard Milster. Dr. Lang is a member of both
state and county medical societies and vice-president of the latter. He was chief
e.xaminer of the exemption board for northern Orange County during the World
War, and is the present city health officer. He is a director in the Standard Bank of
Orange County, as well as the Home Builders of Fullerton, and is interested in
citriculture, owning a \'alencia orange grove. In his religious associations he is a
Methodist, and in national politics he is a Republican. In local issues he lends his
influence toward electing the man best fitted for the office, regardless of party affilia-
tions, and is a member of the Board of Trade. Fraternally, in his Masonic connec-
tions he is a member of Fullerton Lodge No. 339, F. & A. M.. and Fullerton Chapter
R. A. M.. of which he is past high priest, and is a charter memljer of Fullerton
Commandery No. 55, K. T., and with his wife is a member of the Eastern Star, in which
order they are both past officers. Dr. Lang is also a member of Santa -Ana Council
R. & S. M., and is a past chancellor of the Knights of Pythias of Fullerton, as well
as affiliated with various other fraternal orders. He is also a member of the Fuller-
ton Club. His advice and opinion carry the weight of influence and authority in all
of the societies with which he is connected, and his painstaking professional efforts
and maintenance of high medical ethics render him an invaluable addition to the
medical fraternity of Orange County.

BENJAMIN J. FOSS.— Believing that the solution of the labor problem is not
in the continual reduction of hours, but rather by increasing production by applying
more hours to work. Benjamin J. Foss has put his theories into practice by developing
his fourteen-acre ranch at Yorba Linda while pursuing his duties as a conductor on
the Pacific Electric Railway at the same time, and he attributes his success to the fact
that he gets the same recreation out of his ranch as he would from any outdoor sport.

A native of Norway. Beniamin J. Foss was born at West Toten in that northern
country on September 27, 1885. His parents were John and Lina (Evenson) Foss.
the father be-ng a merchant in this Norwegian town. One of a family of thirteen
children. Benjamin spent his boyhood days in the region of his birthplace, attending




^;7^^^^^^-



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1233

the public schools there. Before he had reached the age of lifteen he decided to
emigrate to America, and he arrived here on April 8, 1900, going to Boyd, Minn.,
where an uncle, A. A. Roseth, resided. After working for several years in the lumber
mill of his uncle, he decided to secure a better education, so he went to Montevideo,
Minn., where he attended the public school for two years, and one year in high school,
getting a general business education, which has since been of the greatest value to him.
For a short time he worked as an apprentice in the paint business, but in 1904 he
entered the employ of the Twin City Transit Company at Minneapolis as a conductor,
continuing with this company for five years.

Coming to Cos Angeles, Cal.. in 1909. Mr. Foss the next day after his arrival
obtained employment with the Pacific Electric Company as a conductor, through the
credentials which he had earned in the East. For ten years he gave the company
efficient service on the Los Angeles-La Habra-Yorba Linda line. During that time he
was frequently consulted in making improvements on the time schedule, one of the
most beneficial being the tying up of his car at Yorba Linda at night, thus giving the
people of this locality the advantage of a late car out of Los Angeles and an early car
in the morning.

In 1913 Mr. Foss purchased fourteen acres of open, barren land at Yorba Linda,
and here he set about to develop his tract in his spare moments off duty. He set out
a large part of the acreage to citrus trees and established a well laid out system of
irrigation. In 1915 he erected a fine, comfortable residence on the ranch, and since
that time has made it his home. He has recently sold four acres of his holdings, and
he has leased his ranch for oil development, and as an oil well is now in process of
drilling with good prospects, Mr. Foss may realize a handsome addition to his income
from this source. In 1919 he resigned his position with the Pacific Electric and is
now with the General Petroleum Oil Company.

On June 30, 1915. Mr. Foss was married to Miss Julia Bond, a native daughter
of the Golden West, the ceremony being performed in Orange County Park. Her
parents are B. F. and Laura May (HoUaday) Bond, her father being one of Long
Beach's pioneer realty dealers. Mrs. Foss. who is a woman of many accomplishments,
was educated at the Huntington Park Training School and Long Beach high school.
Mr. and Mrs. Foss are the parents of one son. Norman Olaf. They attend the Friends
Church at Yorba Linda. In 1912 Mr. Foss returned to his native land for a visit, and
four months were spent there and in touring Europe, when he returned to America,
more than ever enthusiastic over the land of his adoption. He received his final
naturalization papers on July 21, 1915, and is one of Orange County's most loyal
citizens, ever ready to give of his time and means to every movement for the public
good. In 1916 Mr. Foss was elected to the directorate of the Yorba Linda Citrus
Association, a post he still occupies. In political matters he is a strong adherent of
the Republican party.

HENRY 'W. DANIELS.— Beginning a meritorious career as an educator at the
early age of sixteen, Henry W. Daniels is now enviably esteemed as a pedagogue of
longer continuous experience that any member of the Fullerton high school faculty.
Michigan was Mr. Daniels' native state, and there he was born at Onstead, on December
18, 1861, the third oldest of five children born to Calvin and Mary (Monagin) Daniels.
The father was a native of Painted Post, Steuben County, N. Y., while the mother
came to New York state from her native land. Ireland, when a child of three years.

After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Daniels came west to Michigan, settling in
Lenawee County, and here Henry W. Daniels spent his early years on his father's
well-kept farm. When sixteen years of age he obtained a teacher's certificate and for
two years taught a district school. He then entered Adrian College, making his way
through his own efforts, and after two years in college he resumed teaching, the ne.xt
ten years being spent in the high schools at Ridgeway. Rome and Clinton. Mich. He
then entered the University of Michigan at Ann .-Xrbor, graduating from there in
1898 with the degree of B. S., C. E., and B. P. The following year the degree of M. S.
was conferred on him by .A.drian College.

Following his graduation from the university, Mr. Daniels became the principal
of the high school at Newago, Mich., remaining there two years, when he became
superintendent of schools at St. Louis. Gratiot County. Mich., resigning there after a
period of five years to come to California. In the fall of 1905 he came to Palo Alto,
where for six months he did graduate work at Stanford University, and after that he
was instructor of chemistry for a semester at Pomona College. At the end of the
school year he came to Fullerton and was made head of physics and chemistry in the
high school there. Four years later he was made head of physics and mathematics.
continuing until 1919. when he was relieved of physics, so that he could devote all his
time as head of mathematics.



1234 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

In 1912 Mr. Daniels bought seven and a half acres of fine land on East Chapman
Street, Fullerton, which he planted to Valencia oranges, and when he bids adieu to
the lecture-room he will know just where to turn to continue usefully busy. Since
1910 Mr. Daniels has served as a member of the board of trustees of the Fullerton
Public Library, and his efficient service in this direction will always associate him
pleasantly with this up-to-date town.

On July 27, 1892, at Ogden Center, Mich., Mr. Daniels was married to Miss
Jennie McComb. born at Coldwater, Mich., the daughter of Thomas and Isabelle
(Patterson) McComb; the father, who was a business man of Ogden Center, Mich.,
was a native of Mt. Morris, N. Y., while Mrs. McComb was born in Belfast, Ireland.
Mrs. Daniels was reared at Ogden Center, later completing her education at Davis
College, Toledo, Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Daniels are the parents of one son, Donald H.
They are active in the membership of the Christian Church at Fullerton. Mr. Daniels
was made a Mason in Tecumseh Lodge at Tecumseh, Mich., of which he is past master,
and is now a member of Fullerton Lodge No. 339, F. & A. M. He is also a member
of Fullerton Chapter, R. A. M., and of the Consistory. He also cooperates in com-
munity affairs by membership in the Placentia Orange Growers Association. With
his wife he participated in all the notable drives of the war and gave his support to all
the various war activities.

CHARLES HERBERT CHAPMAN.— An influential member of the board of
trustees of Santa Ana who, as a very enterprising, far-seeing young man, has been
able to contribute much toward the building up, and also the upbuilding of the city,
is Charles H. Chapman, one of the acknowledged leaders in the lumber business. He
was born near Louisville, in Pottawatomie County, Kans., on January 3, 1875, the son
of Simeon J. Chapman, a native of Missouri, who settled in Pottawatomie County in
October, 1868, after having lost three brothers in the Civil War. He homesteaded
eighty acres there, improved the same, raised grain and stock and, when he was ready,
sold his holding at a handsome profit. He located at Westmoreland, in the same
county, and engaged in both the bakery and confectionery line, and in running a trans-
fer business. When he retired, in 1903, he located at Santa Ana, residing for a while
with our subject. He had married Miss Hattie M. Finney, a native of Ohio; and she
is also, happily, still living in the enjoyment of health. Grandfather Chapman was a
native of Pennsylvania, although Grandmother Chapman was of French parentage.

The fourth eldest in the order of birth, Charles H. Chapman was brought up
on a farm until he was fourteen years old, during which time he attended the district
school; and then he began to hustle for himself. He worked at the baker's trade, the
first year for his "keep," and the following two years on a regular wage, in a bakery
at Onaga, Kans., after which he entered the employ of the Onaga Lumber Company.
He began at the lowest round of the ladder, worked up for nine years, and finally,
when he came to have an interest in the company, had full charge of the concern. He
^might have remained there longer; but at the end of two years, the yard was sold,
and then, instead of regarding the turn of affairs as in any way a set-back, he very
wisely decided to avail himself of the opportunity to come to California.

In 1904 Mr. Chapman located at Santa Ana, and there at 120 Bush Street, at the
corner of Second and Bush, he commenced what has since developed into his present
imposing establishment. His yard was advantageously situated, half a block through
to First Street, and by delivering with trucks, he gave general satisfaction and soon
controlled an enviable trade. He also set up a small planing mill, which was kept
busy filling orders from near and far. He belongs to the Retail Lumber Dealers'
Association of Southern California, the Chamber of Commerce and the Merchants and
Manufacturers Association: and in the latter organization, he was chairman of the
Board for two years.

At Onaga, Kans., Mr. Chapman was married to Miss Myrtle M. Hayes, a native
of Pottawatomie County, a lady of accomplishments and personal charms; and their
fortunate union has been blessed with the birth of three children; Hazel, Elva and
Viola. He was made a Mason in the Onaga Lodge in Kansas, and now he belongs to
Santa Ana Lodge No. 241, at Santa Ana. He is also in the Santa Ana Council No. 14,
R. & S. M.; and he, his wife and daughter are members of Hermosa Chapter, O.
E. S. They attend the First Congregational Church, and Mr. Chapman teaches a
boys' class in the Sunday School.

Having been elected a trustee of the city of Santa .\na in -\pril, 1919, Mr. Chap-
man is the water and sewer commissioner. He is a charter member of the Santa .-Vna
Rotary Club, No. 641, and has long been chairman of the membership committee. He
belongs to the Sunset Club, and the fact that he is chairman of its finance committee
speaks for the good opinion held of him by his fellows.




(?<//(2g^



^^t^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1237

MURRAY A. PATTON, D.D.S.— A dentist who has done much to elevate and
preserve a high standard of ethics for the profession in Orange County, is Murray A.
Patton of Santa Ana, who was born in Adams County, Nebr., on March 3, 1879. His
father was M. B. Patton, now deceased, and he married Miss Alice Hossler. As parents
having the best interests of their children at heart, they afforded such educational
advantages as were possible to the lad, who grew up on a Nebraska farm.

When he was fifteen, the family came west to California, and at Santa Ana
he continued his schooling, first in the grammar grades and then at the Santa .\na
high school, from which he was graduated in 1900.

Going to Chicago, he took his professional courses at the dental school of
the Northwestern University and graduated with the Class of '03. He might have
found a lucrative field in the East, but he preferred California and so came to Santa
Ana. On May 6, 1906, Dr. Patton was married to Miss Etta McNeil. Their union has
been a fortunate one, and has been blessed in the birth of two children, Thelma Chris-
fine and Murray McNeil.

Dr. Patton, who is fond of hunting, golf and mountain climbing, belongs to the
Lodge, Council, Chapter and Commandery in Masonry and the Elks and in the circle
of each enjoys an enviable popularity. He is deeply interested in his home district,
and ever ready, as a member of the Rotary Club, to "boost" any reasonable movement
for local advancement.

ROY CHARLES PETERSON.— Probably there never was a time when it was
equally a matter of interest as to the character and experience of the men in charge
of the American shoe trade, and that may be one reason why success has rewarded the
efforts of Roy Charles Peterson to serve the public, as proprietor of Peterson's Shoe
Store, to the best of his ability. In Canada, where he was born, at Waterville, in
Quebec, he laid the foundations on which he has subsequently, as a typically enter-
prising American, so handsomely built. His father was Charles O. Peterson, and the
maiden name of his mother was Margaret Porteous.

The family came to Santa Ana in 1907, and there the father engaged in the selling
of shoes, and soon established an enviable reputation for both his judgment in selection
and his ability to outdistance his competitors in prices. After a while he disposed of
his interests, and retired. He died in January, 1920, at Santa Ana, and his good wife
preceded him, passing away April 17, 1912.

Educated at the public schools in Canada. Roy was fortunate in being sent to
the preparatory school for Dartmouth College at St. Johnsbury, Vt. Later, as a com-
mercial representative, he traveled through the Canadian Northwest for several years,
and when he joined his father at Santa Ana in 1907. it was to bring the fruits of wide
wandering and varied experience for the benefit generally of the new business. In
June, 1912, Mr. Peterson opened an establishment on Sycamore Street but as the busi-
ness grew he moved to his new location, 215 West Fourth Street in June, 1920.

Notwithstanding these pressing obligations, Mr. Peterson responded to his coun-
try's call during the great World War, and on October 30, 1918, enlisted in the
Twenty-fifth Regiment, U. S. Heavy Artillery. He was 'keyed up for action and
sacrifice; but the armistice prevented him seeing the service he had hoped to engage in.
He therefore resumed, as an American and a Republican, such work as has been possible
for him to perform in elevating the standard of good citizenship.

Mr. Peterson's wife was named Alice Norton before her marriage, and she
shares with him an agreeable popularity in the circles where they are known. He is
a Royal Arch Mason and a member of the Elks Lodge, where he is the Exalted Ruler
(1920). Fond of fishing and other healthful diversions, Mr. Peterson loses no oppor-
tunity to "boost" Santa Ana and all Orange County, and so is naturally a livewire in
the Santa Ana Chamber of Commerce.

MRS. ADELINA CARRILLO. — .A charming and most interesting representative
of one of California's most celel)rated native families is Mrs. .^delina Carrillo, a sister
of Felipa Dominguez, a daughter of Prudencio Yorba, a granddaughter of Bernardo
Yorba. and a great-granddaughter of Antonio Yorba, who came direct from Spain to



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 137 of 191)