Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 138 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 138 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


the Pacific Coast. Although of refined temperament and gentle demeanor, Mrs. Carrillo
is a successful rancher and has very well managed her several properties, thanks in
part to the assistance of her children. She owns a fine home ranch of 207 acres, and
a grain ranch of 141 acres at Corona, in Riverside County, but makes her home on the
ranch at Esperanza.

She was born at Yorba. then Los Angeles County, November 20, 1853, and as a
child, attended the public school at Peralta, and then, to finish her education, she went
to the Academy of Sisters of Charity in Los Angeles. On January 19. 1884. she was
married to Joseph R. Carrillo, born in Los Angeles. Seven children blessed the union.



1238 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

Two were lost in infancy, and one has passed away of late. The other four are:
Esperanza, who graduated from both the Corona high school and the State University
at Berkeley, is now a teacher in the HoUyw-ood High School; Edelfrida, also a graduate
of the Corona high school, is the w-ife of Homer Pate, a farmer at Corona; Eutimio, the
next, manages his mother's home ranch of 207 acres; and Elena is the wife of Norman
Reeves, the oil man living at Esperanza. Eutimio served in the great World War,
and joined the provost guard at Camp Kearny; and after serving with honor in the
infantry, he was discharged with the coveted credentials on January 9, 1919, at Camp
Kearny. He belongs to the Knights of Columbus.

Audel, the fourth oldest, was assisting in operating his mother's ranches when
a mournful tragedy disturbed the otherwise placid waters of the Carrillo family life — ■
a traged}' whose one consolation was the evidence of the old heroic Yorba spirit that
had animated the family for generations. On May 26, 1919, Audel Carrillo, visiting the
Corona ranch, suddenly came upon two Mexican bandits who had broken into the ranch
house and they shot him in cold blood — iirst, two inches below the heart and secondly
in the back. With wonderful nerve and fortitude, the wounded young man, although
bleeding profusely, drove his automobile to Corona at a speed of forty-live miles an
hour, in quest of medical aid; and after personally reporting his case to the police, he
went to the Riverside Hospital. There he was operated upon and made a brave fight
for life; and although he lived from ten o'clock that morning until eight o'clock the
following evening, he died on May 27, in his twenty-seventh year. He was powerfully ■
built and had been not only an indefatigable worker, but had played fullback on the
Corona high school football team. He was, therefore, a general favorite — loved by
everyone who knew him; and when he was buried at the Yorba Cemetery, his remains
were followed to their last resting place by a large concourse of friends.

E. MARTIN CHRISTENSEN.— An upright, energetic and thoroughly capable
young man who has already had a broad and valuable experience in life, is E. M.
Christensen, known to his friends as "Martin," a native son, having been born in Los
Angeles on November 20, 1884. His father was S. Christensen, a native of Denmark,
who had married Johanna Christine Johnson, of Sweden. They were made man and
wife in California, and came to Orange County in 1890. He had been foreman for
the Griffith Lumber Company in Los Angeles, where he also built up a transfer busi-
ness in the early eighties; and was employed by that firm to come to Santa Ana,
lay out their yard here, and start their business. He is now an orange grower and
has a ranch of forty-seven acres in the Garden Grove precinct, and there he and his
good wife are among the most respected residents. Eight children — five boys and three
girls — were born of this union; one boy died in 1886, and a daughter married Samuel
Gibson and died on January 13, 1920.

S. Christensen having moved with his family direct to his ranch at Garden Grove
in 1890, Martin Christensen's schooling was obtained in the Garden Grove district. He
worked on the home farm until he was sixteen, and then he went north to -Alaska,
to seek his fortune. At Seward he worked with a construction gang for eleven months,
when he was kicked by a horse and so severely injured that he was laid up in the
hospital and lost his hearing in the left ear for fourteen years. Of late he has been
slowly recovering the use of the injured organ, thanks to scientific skill and the patient
ministrations of a devoted doctor.

From Alaska Mr. Christensen came back to the States and followed construction
work in Oregon and San Francisco as a cement finisher. He reached San Francisco
just after the earthquake, and the following year settled in Garden Grove, where he
established himself as a cement contractor and manufacturer of cement pipes for irri-
gation. He had no difficulty in demonstrating his ability in his chosen field, and soon
built up an extensive business in pipe-making and the installing of irrigation systems.

Mr. Christensen's cement pipe plant is located on the ten acres which he bought
in the Garden Grove precinct in November, 1919, and where he has a full complement
of machinery and tools, with a mixer run by a two-horse power electric motor. He
makes eight-inch, ten-inch and twelve-inch pipe, and in this section alone has laid about
100 miles of piping.

Besides this property, Mr. Christensen owns ten acres in the Katella voting pre-
cinct, where he resides, and two houses and lots in Garden Grove. He belongs to the
Orange Growers Association at Garden Grove, to the Walnut Growers Association at
Anaheim, and to the Central Lemon Growers Association at Villa Park, being inter-
ested in the culture of all three of these fruits.

On April 7, 1915, Mr. Christensen was married to Miss Rachel Knapp, a sister of
J. A. Knapp, the well-known "Chili King." He and his good wife belong to the Bap-
tist Church, and under the leadership of the Republican party, he votes for the prin-
ciples and the men representing them most appealing to his conscience.




(:^/^i^^i>i^./,^,^.^^C^^'f^'-^i^^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1241

MRS. FELIPA Y. DOMINGUEZ.— A very interesting and distinguished repre-
sentative of one of the noblest of Southern California families is Mrs. Felipa Dominguez,
the well-to-do widow of the late Pablo Dominguez, and a successful rancher at Esper-
anza, six miles east of Placentia in the Santa Ana Canyon. She always has a story to
tell that is well worth the hearing; and those who are thus favored never forget the
charm of her sympathetic and genial personality, as a delightful souvenir of "the good
old days'' of California hospitality.

The parents of Mrs. Dominguez were Prudencio Yorba and his good wife, who
was Dolores Ontiveros before her marriage, and they had twelve children: Felipa,
our subject, was the eldest, and attended the Sisters School at Los Angeles; Adelina,
the next in the order of birth, is now Mrs. Carrillo and owns a ranch of 207 acres in
the Yorba precinct, in which district David, unmarried, also lives; Angelina is the wife
of Samuel Kraemer and resides in Placentia; Prudencio S. is also a rancher of the
Yorba precinct; Zoraida is the widow of Coleman Travis, long a neighboring Yorba
rancher, and Ernest is also a Yorba farmer; Dolores and her husband, Joseph Ruiz,
reside in Santa Maria; Esperanza lived to see her fifteenth year, and the other children
passed away at a very early age. Esperanza, the freight station on the Santa Fe, which
has proven of such convenience in the dispatching of fresh fruit and other farm
products, was named after the lamented daughter. Mrs. Dominguez was born at
Yorba, August 24, 1852, and is now, therefore, one of the oldest settlers in what is now
Orange County.

Mrs. Dominguez was unusually fortunate in her ancestry and may be pardoned
for especial pride in her family associations with the historic past. Her great-grand-
father was .-\ntonio Yorba. a native of Catalonia, Spain, who came to the Pacific Coast
as a soldier under the Spanish commander Fages. He landed at Monterey, and stopped
for a while at the famous Monterey Mission. Being full of adventure, however, he
explored nearly all of Southern California lying south of Yerba Buena, and fell in love
particularly with that portion of the country which was drained by the Santa .^na
River and the Santiago Creek. He obtained a grant to this land, which included all
the lands from San Bernardino drained by the Santa Ana River and the Santiago
Creek, to the Pacific Ocean; and under his hand this vast area became a very celebrated
rancho. Legally, it was known as "El Canon de San Antonio de Santa Ana de los
Yorba;" and after the death of Antonio Yorba, the title passed to his son, Bernardo
Yorba. The latter improved the property in many respects, and built thereon a mag-
nificent adobe of 90 rooms, which was the scene of many elaborate social functions. It
had a dance hall with a polished floor, where fandango after fandango furnished enjoy-
ment to the wide-awake young people. The third wife of Bernardo Yorba was a very
ambitious and progressive woman, and she induced Bernardo to establish various kinds
of shops and mills, where leather was tanned, and shoes, harness, saddles, lariats, tools,
woolen, etc., mere manufactured. Utensils of iron and copper, axes, picks, shovels,
locks and keys were among the things made, and many of these products are still
known to exist. The ruins only of the spacious old adobe still stand; it was of two
stories, the walls were twenty-six inches thick, and they were finished with white
jdaster. Rancho Yorba became one of the richest, as it was also one of the most cele-
brated Spanish grants in Southern California. Bernardo Yorba lived to be fifty-eight
years of age. Prudencio Yorba died July 3. 1885, and his wife, on November 24, 1894.

Mrs. Dominguez is also related, in a very interesting way, to one of the notable
families of the North. She is a niece of .\braham Ontiveros, of Santa Maria, who was
born on the San Juan Cajon rancho, on April 5, 1852, and was educated by Spanish
tutors and in the public schools. He grew up on the Tepesquet ranch, and upon his
father's death, inherited 2,000 acres of valuable land. Being decidedly progressive, he
introduced the most up-to-date methods and machinery in the raising of his grain and
stock; his horses became his pride; and to properly irrigate his land, he built a reservoir
with a capacity of 200,000 gallons, on an elevation 150 feet high, .^fter a residence of
more than fifty years on his home ranch. Mr. Ontiveros abandoned farm life and moved
into the town of Santa Maria. His two marriages united him with the well-known, long
established Spanish families of \idal and Arellanes.

Pablo Dominguez was born at Peralta, Orange County, in 1836, descended from
an old family of California. After his marriage to Felipa Yorba, they engaged in
farming at Peralta until his death in 1895, after which Mrs. Dominguez moved to her
ranch at Esperanza which she inherited from her father, where she reared and educated
her children. Mrs. Dominguez's 414 acres of land, was devoted largely to viticulture.
When it became apparent that the nation would "go dry," the vines were grubbed out
and in 1919 twenty-five acres of Valencia oranges planted in their stead. A Fordson
tractor is used for plowing, and eight horses assist in the cultivating. Mrs. Dominguez
makes use of a Paige automobile, and thus rapidly moves about where her distinguished



1242 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

ancestors journeyed in more leisurely fashion. Two hundred acres are planted to
barley, and sixty acres to lima beans.

Five children blessed the union of Pablo and Felipa Dominguez; Dorinda is the
wife of .\dolph Marzo. he is the proprietor of the tomato cannery at Placentia, and
resides at Peralta; Arnulfo Orlando, manages his mother's ranch, he also owns eighteen
acres of budded walnuts on the south side of the Santa Ana i'iiver. which he himself
planted six years ago; Lydia married Julian Yorba. the Puente rancher; Carlos N. helps
to run the ranch, he joined the United States infantry, and was on the way to New
York, to sail for France, when the train was wrecked at Geneva, 111., and he suffered
a compound fracture of the right leg. as the result of which he was honorably dis-
charged: Pablo Vicente is married to Laura Irene Knowlton and resides in Anaheim, but
he also assists his mother to operate the Dominguez ranch. The family attend the
Catholic Church at Yorba. and enjoy their reunions m the handsome eight-room
residence erected by Mrs. Dominguez in 1908.

JOSEPH NUSBAUMER.— An able and all-around excellent young man is Joseph
Nusbaumer, son of the late Joseph Nusbaumer, tlie well-known pioneer who came to
what is now the Newport precinct, then Los Angeles, now Orange County, as early as
1882. The elder Nusbaumer was born in Alsace, France, April 25, 1847. He served in
the French army in the Franco-Prussian War. Immediately after the close of the war
he came to Reno, Nev., and there he was married to Miss Sarah Britton, a native of
Dayton, Ohio. She came to Nevada with friends, where she met Mr. Nusbaumer, and in
September, 1882, they located in Newport precinct and purchased twenty acres which is
still held by the family. Mr. Nusbaumer brought with him some of the most desirable
qualities of the hard-working European; and these virtues, with those of the accom-
plished and ambitious American wife, were happily transmitted in their one child, the
subject of our interesting sketch, who had the good fortune to be born a native son,
at Santa Ana. Cal., on November 9 of the year when his parents took up their residence
here. The father died on July 24, 1917, but his widow is still living.

On March 16, 1911, Joseph Nusbaumer was married at Santa Ana to Miss Beulah
Lawrence, a charming and devoted lady, who was reared in the pleasant environment
of Sherman, Texas. Together they have striven and worked; and as a natural reward
for intelligent operation, they enjoy a handsome return from all their investments.

Mr. Nusbaumer is a Republican in matters of national political import, but he
does not allow partisanship to interfere with his supporting the best men and the
most reasonable measures. This is particularly the case in local affairs. He and his
broad-minded wife take a keen interest in popular education, and he is a trustee of
the Diamond school district, situated two miles southwest of Santa Ana.

FRED BOOSEY. — No district in Orange County, perhaps, has been more noted
than Tustin for its many busy ranchers, among whom Fred Boosey must be mentioned
as having made- for himself a high place in the esteem of all who know him. He owns
a well-cultivated ranch of ten acres devoted to citrus fruit, although he is also exten-
sively engaged in bean growing. He formerly worked as high as 500 acres in a season,
but at present he is operating 300 acres in conjunction with his orange ranch.

Mr. Boosey was born in Kansas on December 6, 1883, and is the son of Oliver
and Sarah (Sherbet) Boosey, natives of the state of Vermont. The father served in
a Vermont regiment in the Civil War, having enlisted when seventeen years of age.
They migrated to Riley County, Kans., at an early day in the history of that state, and
settled there as homesteaders; and they now reside at Clay Center. Kans. To them
were born fifteen children, and twelve are living, among whom our subject is the elev-
enth in the order of birth. Five of this number are in California, and two in Orange
County — Henry and Fred. Howard, another brother, served in the World War.

Fred Boosey was reared and educated in the public schools of his native state,
and always confined himself, until 1901. to agricultural pursuits. In 1901 he migrated
to California, and since 1904 he has been in Tustin, Orange County, engaged in bean
growing. In 1917 he bought the ten acres on Yorba Street which he devotes to Valencia
oranges. As the icsult of his thorough way of carrying through any work undertaken.
Mr. Boosey has never failed, with a good understanding of the local field, and by the
application of the "last word" in science, to get high results.

In February, 1917, Mr. Boosey was happily united in marriage to Miss Celina
Dalton, the daughter of Adolph and Emma (Hunt) Dalton, born in Montreal, Canada,
but married in Massachusetts. A native of Chicago, 111., she was educated in the public
schools, and St. Anne's Academy. She is delighted with Southern California; is a lover
of nature, and therefore enjoys the flowers and the birds of the Golden State, and could
not be induced to return to the "windy city" by the lakes. Mr. Boosey is a believer in
cooperation and is a member of the Santiago Orange Growers Association at Orange.



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1245

CHARLES F. CROSE.— It is true that when an individual is endowed by nature
with the valuable traits of determination and perseverance their success in life is
usually a foregone conclusion. These characteristics were dominant in the character
of the late Charles F. Crose, who was widely esteemed for his active participation in
interests of a public nature, while he lived the few years granted him to be a citizen
of Orange County.

Intimately associated with the early history of Shenandoah, Iowa, Charles F.
Crose was born in a log cabin at Sidney, Fremont County, Iowa, on March 16, 185&,
the son of W. F. Crose, who was a native of Bourbon County, Ky., where he was born
in 1824, and Eliza J. ( \an Eaton) Crose, his wife, a native of Union County, Ind.,
born in 1825. They were married in 1845 and became early settlers in Iowa where they
developed a farm from the virgin prairie. They lived there at a time when Indians
roamed at will over that frontier state and had many interesting e.xperiences while
developing their farm. The elder Crose died in 1895, after a long and useful career.
His widow survived him urktil January 17. 1904.

Charles F. was educated in the public schools of his native town and was reared
to farm life until he was about fiifteen, when he entered the employ of his elder
brother, R. B. Crose, who was a general merchant at Manti, before Shenandoah had
been started. The young man was ambitious and he left the employ of his brother and
started to study medicine, but after a year he gave it up and entered Bryant and
Stratton's Business College in Chicago, where he pursued a commercial law and a
business course for about nine months and graduated with second honors in a class of
over 150. He moved his stock of merchandise on wagons from Manti to the new town
of Shenandoah and there became one of the pioneer merchants. In March, 1881,
Charles F. bought an interest in the business and thereafter gave his personal atten-
tion to the management of the concern, and made of it an unqualified success.

Wliile connected with the mercantile interests of the town he was active in the
affairs of the Republican party and finally was persuaded to become a candidate for
the genera! assembly, being elected in 1903 and serving for two terms, being reelected
to succeed himself. For twelve 3'ears he was a member of the school board, six years
as it secretary; was secretary of the Shenandoah Fair .\ssociation; director of the
Shen^doah National Bank; prominent in the organization and management of the
cannery and the creamery there, and in all other activities for the building up of the
growing city. He also served as one of two trustees for the original donors of the
Western Normal College. He had wisely invested in realty there and owned a farm
and considerable business and residence property in Shenandoah. On account of the
ill health of his wife he decided he would locate in California, in consequence of which
he disposed of his holdings and in 1910 settled in Santa Ana in a beautiful home
which they erected on the corner of Cypress and Pine streets. He had purchased a
walnut grove, on which his daughter and her husband settled, and to this he gave
much of his attention. He became interested in the Santa Ana Walnut Growers
Association, which had suffered many set-backs and he was induced to become its
secretary and manager of the packing house. He threw himself into the reorganiza-
tion of this concern with his accustomed vigor and soon had it on a sound basis. He
was also identified with the Orange County Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company,
and was president of the State Mutual Insurance Association. In this county, while he
lived, he continued to take an active interest in public affairs and was a staunch Repub-
lican, though his father was a Democrat. He was a Knights Templar Mason and a
Shriner, also a past patron of the Eastern Star Chapter; was also a member of the
B. P. O. Elks, and an Odd Fellow, the latter membership being retained at his old
home in Iowa. For years he was a consistent member of the Congregational Church
and a worker in its causes. No worthy cause was ever presented to his notice, either
in his Iowa or his California home that he did not give it his support.

At'Afton, Union County, Iowa, on June 2, 1880, Mr. Crose was united in marriage
with Miss Nina Nixon, who was born in Morgantown, W. Va., daughter of Rev.
George J., a M. E. preacher, and Sarah (Bruen) Nixon, who settled in Iowa when
their daughter was eight years old. She was educated in the public schools and in
Simpson College of Indianola, Iowa, and thus was well qualified to be a worthy help-
mate for her gifted husband; she entered heartily into all his plans and assisted him
with his work and soon became a leader in social circles in Shenandoah. She was a
member, and the president for some years, of the Kappa Delta Club, also a district
secretary for some titne; for ten years she was president of the missionary society of
the Congregational Church, and soon after settling in Santa .\na, Cal.. was elected
to the same position here and has served for seven years, being still in office; she is an
ex-president of the Ebell Club of Santa Ana, which has a membership of over 300, and
is on the executive board; is president of the County Federated Clubs; has held offices



1246 HISTORY OF ORAXGE COUNTY

in the ^Yoman's Club: and is on the executive board of the southern branch of the
Woman's Board of Missions of the Pacific. During the World War she was active in
Red Cross and other allied activities, and still retains her interest in the Red Cross;
and was chairman of the educational department of the County Council of Defense
of Orange County. She is a member of the Eastern Star Chapter of Santa Ana.

Mr. and Mrs. Crose became the parents of a daughter, Mabel C, now the wife
of Fred C. Rowland, a prosperous rancher of McClay Street, and they have two charm-
ing daughters, Nina Jeannette and Barbara Ruth. A man of broad mentality and strict
integrity, who can well be called a self-made man, Charles F. Crose was called by the
grim reaper on January 11, 1917, and there was left to mourn his passing a wide circle
of friends in Orange County as well as in his former Iowa home, all of whom valued
him for his worth as a citizen and friend.

GEORGE J. COCKING. — .-Vn enterprising and progressive native son who is
making a decided success of the plumbing, heating and sh.eet metal business in Santa
Ana, is George J. Cocking. He was born at Colton. Cal., August 28, 1888, a son of
Isaac and Annie (Drown) Cocking, natives of England. Isaac Cocking came to Cali-
fornia in the early eighties, locating at Colton, where he became manager for the
corporation which purchased the large hill of lime rock near Colton, and which the
company demolished for making building lime.

George J. Cocking received his early education in the public schools of Colton
and Redlands. At Riverside he was employed by Copley Brothers, with whom he
learned the trade of a sheet metal worker. Returning to Redlands he worked for
W'orthington, the pluinber, also Kline and Underwood. In 1908 Mr. Cocking moved to
Pasadena, where he was employed by the Pacific Sheet Metal ^^'orks and the Warren
and Foss Company. The year 1912 marked his advent into the business life of Santa
Ana, when he entered the employ of the McFadden Hardware Company and built
up their department for sheet metal work and became manager. During his con-
nection with the McFadden Hardware Company he installed the sheet metal work for
the Santa Ana high school, the Athletic Club and the Yost Theater; also the high
school building at Orange. Mr. Cocking also installed the heating and ventilating
plants in the following buildings: the Methodist and Congregational churches in Santa
Ana; Anaheim Public Library: other business blocks and fine residences at Anaheim.



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 138 of 191)