Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 139 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 139 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


In April, 1918, Mr. Cocking decided to enter into business for himself and since
then he has been conducting his chosen line of work most successfully. He can point
with pride to the following buildings where he has done the plumbing or installed the
heating plants: at the Crawford Marmalade Factory, Anaheim, he installed their steam
heating plant; installed the plumbing in the fine residence of C. V. Davis at Santa
Ana; bungalow court at First and Court streets; the McCormick Apartments; four
houses for J. W. Sackman; an apartment house for Mrs. Lowman on South Birch
Street; and a number of houses built by George Barrows.

On February 2, 1912, Mr. Cocking was united in marriage with Miss Bertha J.
Simpson of Kansas, and they are the parents of one son, George Richard.

WILLIAM J. SAUN3Y. — Flourishing and promising Tustin numbers in its citi-
zenship many progressive men, and one of the most pronounced, both in ability and
accomplishment, is William J. Saunby, who owns twenty-five acres of land, twenty of
which are devoted to oranges and five to walnuts. For eighteen years he has resided
there, and more and more he has contributed to the growth, improvement and develop-
ment of his town.

Mr. Saunby is a native of Ontario, Canada, where he was born on October 5.
1859. There, too, in his native city. London, he was reared and educated. Up to
1901 he spent his work days in the milling and grain business with his father, who owned
two flour mills in London, but in that year he crossed the border into "the States,"
coming direct to Tustin, Cal., and as soon thereafter as he could procure his naturaliza-
tion papers, he did so. Now he is a full-fledged citizen of a country he adopted with
gratitude and hope. The father of Mr. Saunby was Joseph D. Saunby, a native of the
Province of Quebec, and he married Miss Elizabeth Bird Elson of London, a daughter
of John and Mary Elson whose family like the Saunby's is traced back to England.
Two children were born to the worthy couple, the other child being a son named
Stephen, now deceased. William J. was popular and influential in his native country,
where he was elected to the office of reeve, akin to mayor, at London West, a post
he filled for two full years.

At London, December 30, 1886, Mr. Saunby was married to Miss Alice Cosford.
the daughter of the Rev. Thomas Cosford, who was born in Northamptonshire, Eng-
land, of a splendid old North of England family; he studied classics and theology
and became a minister in the Methodist Church of Canada, preaching in different




^Raj-v^^ ,



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1249

cities in Ontario for over fifty years, until his death. In Ontario he was also married,
being united with Nancy Hartman of that native heath. Reverend Cosford was a man
much loved in the communities where he preached for his mild and charitable disposi-
tion as well as for his straightforwardness and fearlessness in speaking the truth.
From the fortunate union of Mr. and Mrs. Saunby have been born five children, four of
whom grew up. Sidney during the recent great war served as a member of the U. S.
forces. He studied electricity and especially ignition at the government quarters in
Los Angeles that he might become proficient as an automobile expert. Previous to the
outbreak of the war he was with the Edison Company and he is now assisting his
father in operating the ranch; Dora is a graduate nurse, now with the Michael Reese
Hospital in Chicago; Alice is a student nurse in the Methodist Episcopal Hospital in
Los Angeles; while Ernest, the youngest, is attending Santa Ana high school.

Mr. Saunby is a believer that cooperation is the only successful method of mar-
keting citrus and walnut crops, so is very naturally a member of the Santiago Orange
Association and the Santa Ana Walnut Growers Association, being a member of the
board of directors in the former. Both he and his estimable wife are devout Metho-
dists holding membership in the Methodist Episcopal Church in Santa Ana where he
is a member of the official board, and liberally inclined, they take an active part in the
benevolences of the church. Strong advocates of temperance, they did all they could to
fight the demon rum and abolish the saloon as well as w-orking for the success of
national prohibition. They have lived noble and useful lives and by their helpfulness
and many charities have endeared themselves to the people of their community who
appreciate them for their worth and integrity. Tustin would gladly welcome citizens
and their families of the Saunby type.

IRVIN LIVENSPIRE. — A contractor very naturally in constant demand because
of his technical knowledge of every kind of brick masonry, is Irvin Livenspire, who
was born in Wyandot County, Ohio, on January 23, 1867. He was the son of a mer-
chant, Charles Livenspire, and so came to get an insight early in life into business
ways of the world. He was also fortunate in the character and devotion of his mother,
who was Catherine Kellogg before her marriage, and owed much to her in his prepa-
ration for the responsibilities of later years. Both parents, well known for their stand-
ing in Ohio communities, are now dead.

Irvin attended the public schools of Ohio, among the best in the United States,
and when he was old enough to profit from apprenticeship, he learned the brickmason's
trade. He was successful from the beginning in the opportunities to work where he
developed rapidly; and when he came to California in 1902, he was prepared to stand
shoulder to shoulder with the best artisans.

For five years Mr. Livenspire worked in Los Angeles, but in 1907 he removed to
Santa Ana, and since then his reputation for both skill and honesty, as well as rea-
sonable terms, has made him much in demand. Among important commissions, he did
the mason work on the Masonic Temple, the Spurgeon Building, the West-End Thea-
ter, and the Rutherford Building, and of course a great deal of other excellent work
throughout the county. He is in partnership with Henry Walters, and the firm name is
Livenspire and Walters. On an average, they employ twelve men.

Mrs. Livenspire was Miss Ida Blake before her marriage, and she is the mother
of a son, Ralph, who is associated in business with Mr. Livenspire, and a daughter,
Mildred. Mr. Livenspire is a Democrat, but first, last and always an American, and
when it comes to "boosting'" Santa .\na or Orange County, he forgets all about the
narrowness of party lines, and seeks to support only the best, be it in men or measures
designed to help the community to higher, broader and better things.

THOMAS C. H. De LAPP.— An efilcient and popular public official of Huntington
Beach, who has earned the confidence of his fellow-citizens and the honors bestowed
upon him by the Government, is Thomas C. H. De Lapp, the postmaster. He was born
in Jacksonville, Morgan County, 111., on September 5, 1866, the son of John M. De Lapp,
a native of Cape Girardeau. Mo., a descendant of French-Huguenot stock, also a Mexican
War veteran with the rank of sergeant and he helped to gain possession of California
for the United States. He married Mary F. Headen, who was born in Mooresville,
Tenn. For a while the parents rented a farm in Morgan County, 111., and there they
became esteemed as industrious, progressive and altogether estimable folk.

It thus happened that Thomas grew up to farm work, learning thoroughly first
how to do the usual chores, and secondly the methods of agriculture then in vogue in
that part of the country. When, however, he was twenty-three years of age, he removed
to St. Louis, Mo., and there worked at various occupations. He found employment in
planing mills, and for the remainder of five years or so was in the car factories of that
city. He proved competent in every way until he broke his wrist, and then he was



1250 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

forced to seek different emploj'ment. Having become known to the street car author-
ities, he was made a conductor on the Lindell Avenue Railway, and for another live
years had charge of passenger traffic.

While in St. Louis on July 2, 1892, Mr. De Lapp was married to Miss Mary Eliza-
beth Boggs, a relative of the pioneer, Lilburn W. Boggs, a Kentuckian born in 1798,
who removed to Missouri, was elected governor in 1836, and took a prominent part in
the expulsion of the Mormons. In 1846 he migrated to California, and from 1847 to
1849 was alcalde of the Sonoma district, where he became somewhat famous for the
administration of office during a tr\-ing period of the interregnum, and so is deserving
of prominence in the annals of California. Mrs. De Lapp was reared in Missouri, and
later came to the Pacific Coast. Mr. and Mrs. De Lapp have two children: George T.,
who is a student in the high school; and Margaret F. E., who is still attending the
grammar school.

In November, 1899, Mr. De Lapp came out to California, and engaged with the
Los Angeles Traction Company as a conductor; and for a year he resided in the metrop-
olis of the Southland. Next he put in six years with the San Dimas Citrus Association,
thereby acquiring a still better knowledge of the resources of the Golden State. In
1906 he came to Huntington Beach, and here he bought acreage and city property. For
two years he was manager of the Tent City, and ever since he has been a genuine
"booster" for the town. He was one of the first to see the importance of good roads
to the district, and to advocate building the same. For four years, too, Mr. De Lapp
farmed hereabouts and raised sugar beets, and in course of time he helped to get the
Huntington Beach Sugar Factory, that is, to induce the Holly Sugar Corporation to
build their establishment. To make the venture a success, he undertook to grow the
sugar beet on a large scale, and for a while he had forty acres planted to beets.

In January, 1915, Mr. De Lapp was appointed, as a Democrat, postmaster at
Huntington Beach, a position of responsibility, as the office there handles a large
amount of mail. This is due largely to the presence of many tourists or visitors in
the bathing season, a moving class difficult to cater to. He was reappointed to serve
a second term on August 15. 1919. Two assistants aid the postmaster — Miss Abagail
Crum, who is the assistant postmaster, and a clerk, Mrs. Anna Rowland-Taylor. There
is also a village carrier. Mrs. Elizabeth M. Hoge, and a rural carrier, Samuel M. Hosack.

Mr. De Lapp was made a Mason some years ago, and belongs- to Huntington
Beach Lodge No. 383. F. & A. M. Both Mr. and Mrs. De Lapp are members of the
Eastern Star. For nine years Mr. De Lapp was superintendent of the Christian Sunday
school, and he helped with a generous hand to build the Christian Church at Huntington
Beach. Now Mr. and Mrs. De Lapp and their family belong to the Methodist Epis-
copal Church, over the Sunday school of which he has presided for one year as
superintendent.

HENRY A. SKILES. — An industrious, frugal man who credits his success in
business life largely to his having endeavored to lead a devout. Christian life, and his
good health, enabling him at the age of seventy-two, to ride a motorcycle daily, is
Henry A. Skiles, the well-known building contractor of 912 Orange Avenue. He was
born at Mt. Pleasant. Ind., on July 28, 1848, the son of Henry Skiles. a native of Penn-
sylvania. He came of a family of farmers, and was an early settler and builder-up of
Mt. Pleasant, Ind. He had married Jane Andrews, a native of Ireland, who came to
America with her parents. Henry is the fifth son in a family of seven children honoring
this worthy couple.

When he was eight years old. his parents removed, first to Lee and then to
Henry County, Iowa, and the lad attended a log-cabin school in the winter while he
was being initiated into the details of farming, for which he early showed a liking.
His father had a good farm of 160 acres, where he raised grain and stock, so that he
had the best opportunity, under his guidance, to learn, .\fter the Civil War. his folks
removed to Johnson County. Mo., within fifty miles of Kansas City, where they con-
tinued to farm; and at agricultural pursuits, in the service of others, in Iowa and
Kansas and Missouri, he continued until he was twenty-one.

The marriage of Mr. Skiles united him with Miss Sarah Thompson, a daughter
of the Rev. R. G. Thompson of Kingsville, Mo., and there, he took up farming
with eighty acres, raising grain and stock. Mrs. Skiles' mother was Sarah Leland
Brown, a native of \'irginia. while Mr. Thompson originally came from Pennsylvania.
He died at the age of seventy-nine.

In 1874, Mr. Skiles came West with his family to Oakland, and there did general
carpentering, associated for four years with his uncle, Henry Brown. Meeting with
James McFadden, when the latter came to Oakland, he decided to come south; and
in 1878 removed to Santa Ana, shipping his effects by boat to Newport. From the
first, he undertook general building and contracting, and with plenty of good help,



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUXTY 1253

he soon put up a number of the better residences, and for a quarter of a century was
Santa Ana's leading building contractor.

Mr. Skiles has three acres of orchard at his home place, purchased in 1900, and
ten acres of apricots at Hemet. Seven children have assisted in the daily toil, besides
adding to the pleasures of domestic life. Robert, who married Katherine Brown, is
deputy assessor of Orange County, and has two children. Dorothy and Corinne; Leland
married E. C. Baer and is ranching at Hemet; they have two children. Rolston and
Lois; Edna is the wife of A. E. Cox, a rancher living at Huntington Park; their two
children are Carmen and Elwood; Leslie is also a farmer at Hemet, his wife was
Frances .Armstrong, and they have one child, Denton A.; Ira is a plumber at Long
Beach, and is married to Lea Snyder; Earl is the husband of Louise Riley of San Fran-
cisco, and the father of two children, Margaret and June; and he is the private secretary
of the estate of E. T. Earl of Los Angeles; Bruce married Miss Grace Doty, and is
employed by J. Tubbs of the Santa Ana Commercial Company and they have one child,
Helen. Mr. Skiles is a Prohibitionist in national political affairs, and a good "booster"
in everything pertaining to Santa Ana and Orange County. He and his family are
consistent church members.

FRANK SAWYER. — A successful garage manager who thoroughly understands
the many-sided problems of the autoist and the tourist, is Frank Sawyer, the popular
proprietor of the \\est End Garage at Santa Ana. He was born in Pawnee City,
Pawnee County, Nebr., on October 24, 1893, the son of J. B. Sawyer who had married
Elizabeth A. Karnes by whom he came to have six children, three sons and three daugh-
ters. He brought his family to California in December, 1912, and located at Long
Beach; and both parents are still enjoying the salubrious climate of sub-tropical
California.

Frank got all he could out of the excellent public schools of his neighborhood,
and followed this elementary training with a course of technical studies at Highland
Park College at Des Moines. Iowa. Appreciating the ever-expanding field of service
for the motorist, since 1907 he has followed the mechanism of automobiles, and since
coming to California in 1912 he continued in the automobile business and has now well
established himself as one of the indispensables in Santa Ana.

In 1919, Mr. Sawyer bought his present plant and spared neither pains nor ex-
pense in providing for his patrons the most modern machinery and appliances. He is
thus able to execute all kinds of repair work, and his fame for doing that which so
many are unable to tackle having extended even beyond the confines of Orange County,
he has all the commissions which any man would care to undertake with some leisure
and comfort to himself. He employs four men regularly, each like himself an expert
in every kind of auto or motor renovating. Only the best of materials are used, and
satisfaction to the customer is thus easily guaranteed. The West End Garage has
become one of the most popular repair shops in the county.

On December IS, 1914, Mr. Sawyer married Julia Ruth Walker, a native daughter
of Orange County, born near Santa Ana; and they have one child, Margaret Ellen.
Besides taking an active part in the work of the Chamber of Commerce, to which
Mr. Sawyer belongs, and participating with fellow Republicans in civic reforms,
Mr. Sawyer belongs to the Elks, being a member of Santa Ana Lodge No. 794.

HARVEY GARBER.— That great progress has been made in the manufacture of
brick is clearly demonstrated by Harvey Garber, one of the most aggressively pro-
gressive leaders in that field in Southern California, and a prominent business man
of Santa Ana. He was born in Emmet County, Mich., on March 28, 1879, the son of
Jacob M. Garber. a native Ohian. still happily living. The good mother born in Indiana,
now among the silent majority, was Libbie Shrock before her marriage, and gave early
guidance to three children, among whom Harvey was the youngest.

He attended the public schools in northern Indiana, while being raised on a farm,
but had to lay aside his books all too early, so that much of his real schooling came
through contact with the outside, exacting world. At the age of twenty, he had
learned the pressfecder's trade, but a year later took up carpentering and followed that
by preference.

On January 13, 1914. he came to California; and having had five years' experience
as a contractor at South Bend, Ind., he est^lished himself in Orange County in
general contracting, with his residence at Orange. He built the grammar school in
Huntington Beach, the Alfred Huhn Building at Orange, a brick block at Newport
Beach, the Greenville School, the L. B. Resh brick block at .\naheim, and many fine
residences in various towns in the county. In .August, 1919, he bought the brick plant
at Santa Ana, and since then he has devoted all his time to the manufacture of brick
of all grades. He employs twenty-five men, and pays out over $500 weekly for wages.



1254 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

Mr. Garber has ahvaj's taken a live interest, as a Republican, in America national
politics, ever ready to elevate the standard of patriotic citizenship, and has participated
in Chamber of Commerce and other "boosting" and developing work: and during the
war he had been notified of his recommendation for a first lieutenancy in the construc-
tion division of the quartermaster department, but the commission was never forwarded
because of the signing of the armistice. He is a member of the Chamber of Commerce
and the Merchants and Manufacturers Association, and also belongs to the Orange
County Commercial Club.

On June 2. 1909, Mr. Garber was married to Miss Freda B. Kelley; and their
marriage has brought them the inestimable blessing of an attractive daughter, Marian
Elizabeth. Mr. Garber is a Scottish* Rite, thirty-second degree Mason, and also a
Shriner; and Mrs. Garber shares his popularity in fraternal circles. Both are fond of
outdoor life, and glad to be in California, the land of outdoors.

ARCHIE M. ROBINSON.— Since every other important line of industry in the
world centers around the occupation of tilling the soil the rancher may truthfully be
called the Hub of the World. One of the industrious, progressive and self-made
orange growers of Orange County, Cal., is .\rchie M. Robinson, a native of Delhi,
Delaware County, N. Y., where he was born October 21, 1871. His father, Buel W.,
and mother, Jane (Christie) Robinson, also natives of the Empire State, were the
parents of seven children, of whom A. M. Robinson is the onlj' one residing in Cali-
fornia. The father, Buel W., now deceased, served as a volunteer during the Civil
War in Company C, One Hundred Fourty-fourth New York \olunteer Regiment.

Archie M. Robinson received a common school education and resided in his
native state, following general farming until 1901, when the call of the \\'est caused
him to turn his face toward the shores of the Golden State, and since then he has been
a resident of Orange County. The first year in his new home he worked on a ranch,
cleared $300 and invested it in a twenty-five-acre ranch on Prospect Avenue, which
he improved, owned for two years and sold. He then purchased his present twenty-
six-acre ranch on Fairhaven Avenue, which is devoted exclusively to the culture of
oranges. The property was formerly planted to oranges and apricots, the latter being
reset, so now the whole acreage is producing fine \'alencia oranges. During the earlier
years of Mr. Robinson's residence in Orange County he experienced, in common with
other ranchers, the scarcity of water. Necessitj' caused the combination of their
forces and a company was formed to overcome the difticulty by developing water. In
1913 wells were sunk to the depth of 300 feet, resulting in an aljundant flow of water,
which insured the crops and increased the value of land immeasurably. He has been
a director in the Tustin Hill Citrus Association from its organization in 1909.

In 1910 Mr. Robinson was united in marriage with Miss Elizabeth Pilcher, a
native of St. Louis, Mo., and daughter of William Pilcher. Two daughters have been
born of their union, Elizabeth and Dorothy by name. Mr. and Mrs. Robinson are
members of the Baptist Church of Santa Ana. being a member of the board of trustees,
and fraternally Mr. Robinson affiliates with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows,
his membership being in the Santa Ana Lodge.

JOHN C. HAYDEN.— A Philadelphian of extraordinary business ability, who is
"making good" in Orange County as district superintendent of the Southern Counties
Gas Company, is John C. Hayden, popular, with his famil}-, in the best social circles.
He was born in the City of Brotherly Love on November 21 , 1888, and grew up in that
center of Pennsylvania life. His father, now deceased, was Michael J. Hayden, a very
successful business man who ran a chain of retail stationery stores in Philadelphia.
His mother was Rose G. Deehan before her marriage; and she is also deceased. There
were three boys and a girl in the family, and John was the youngest of them all. A
sister, Mrs. Marie Warke, resides in Los Angeles, and they are the only two in
California. He attended the Gesu Parochial School and St. Joseph's College at Phil-
adelphia, and then entered the stationery business of his father, his mother having died
when he was nine years old. Michael Hayden made a visit to Los Angeles and other
parts of California in 1906, and four years later, accompanied bj- John, he came out
here to reside.

At that time our. subject entered the employ of the Gillespie Book and Stationery
Store. Los Angeles, and he was placeff in charge of the book department, and there
he remained for five years. In September, 1916, he came to Santa Ana as chief clerk
for the Southern Counties Gas Company, and he rose to be commercial agent, holding
that post until he was promoted to be district superintendent on December 1, 1919.

At Santa Ana in 1913, Mr. Hayden was married to Miss Gladys Starkey, of Los
Angeles; and one child, a boy named Herbert Hughes Hayden. has come to bless their
fortunate union. Mr. Hayden is prominent in the Elks Lodge No. 794, at Santa Ana,



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1257

and also in the Rotary Club of that city, whose motto is: "He profits most who
serves best."

The Southern Counties Gas Company is a very important utility corporation,
supplying both domestic and industrial consumers. The general meter shop, for the
whole system of California, is located on East First Street in Santa Ana, where is also
the automobile shop and the general store-rooms employing some sixty-five persons.
Four districts and eight divisions represent the business interests of this corporation.
The eastern district comprises Orange County division, which includes Santa Ana,
Orange, Tustin, Anaheim, El Modena, Fullerton, Garden Grove, Placentia, Buena Park,
along the route from Garden Grove to Huntington Beach; the Whittier division com-
prising Whittier, La Habra, Monterey Park and the adjacent territory; the Monrovia
division includes Monrovia, Arcadia, Sierre Madre, South Santa Anita and El Monte;
while the remaining division of Pomona is made up of Pomona, Claremont, Spadra,
LaVerne, Glendora. Chino, Ontario, Uplands, Azusa, San Dimas and Baldwin Park.
Mr. Hayden has supervision of the Orange County division.

WILLIAM KLAUSING. — An old-timer who. by improving the soil of a liarren
waste, has developed a splendid orchard and in so doing has not onlj' acquired property



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 139 of 191)