Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 14 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 14 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


lowest responsible bidders.

In building the state highway, the engineering department required the county
to build the bridges over all the streams. To meet this expense and build bridges
on the county high'ways, bonds were voted to the amount of $100,000, as men-
tioned in the chapter on Public Buildings and Sites. The bridges built with this
fund are span bridges, constructed of reinforced cement concrete, and are artistic
and substantial.

Since the foregoing figures were furnished, the supervisors let a contract to
Steele Finley to pave three and three-quarter miles of road at Sulphur Slide in
Santa Ana Canj'on for $36,211.93. The width is to be sixteen feet with eighteen
feet on the turns.

Early in August the supervisors accepted the proposal of the United States
Forest Service to go fifty-fifty in the construction of a gootl mountain road up
the Trabuco Canyon from the schoolhouse to the Forks. The board appropriated
$3,500 for this purpose on the promise of a federal appropriation of a like
amount. The road will not be paved, but will be a good substantial road for
automobile travel. The work will be done by the United States Bureau of Roads.

On September 11, 1919, County Surveyor J. L. AlcBride announced that the
State Highway Commission had let a contract to a Los Angeles firm for the
improvement of the Irvine-Galivan road for the sum of $86,000. The improve-
ment consists in adding two and a half feet shoulders to each side of the paving,
increasing its width from fifteen to twenty feet between Irvine and Galivan. The
contract also requires the surfacing of the highway south from Irvine for a dis-
tance of five miles with a layer of asphaltum one and one-half inches thick.



.106 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

Orange County's vote July 1, 1919, on the $40,000,000 state highway bonds
was : Yes, 3,529 ; No, 344. The part of the improvement affecting Orange County
is the piece from Oxnard to Capistrano, which would enter the county at Seal
Beach and follow the coast most of the way, thereby adding nearly twenty-five
miles to the county's paved highways, exclusive of the paved streets in the cities
through which the road will pass.

Besides the number of miles of paved country roads described above, each
incorporated city has more or less paved streets which have been reported as
follows :

City Miles

Anaheim 8.00

Brea 3.00

Fullerton, estimated 20.00

Huntington Beach 16.85

Newport Beach 1.50



City

Brought forward. . .
Orange


Miles

...49.35

5 00


Santa Ana

Seal Beach


...30.00
. 2 00




1.00






Total


. . .87.35



Carried forward 49.,

The total number of miles of paved roads in the county, including those under
construction and provided for and those in the cities, is as follows:

Reported by County Surveyor 201.82

Under Construction 28.75

Paved Streets in Cities 87.35



Total Paved Roads 317.92

]\Iany miles of the unpaved roads in the cities and county have been brought
to a proper grade, wet down and rolled, and then treated with a thin coating of
heavy oil, evenly distributed while hot, and covered with a sprinkling of sand or
crushed rock — preferably the latter. The asphalt in the oil cements the top gravel
or soil of the roadbed together, thereby forming a hard, smooth surface almost
equal to paving. Such roads are practically free from mud in the rainy season and
from dust in the dry season.

Hence, in view of the foregoing facts and figures. Orange County may fairly
be awarded the palm for good roads.

CHAPTER XVIII

THE COUNTY'S TRAFFIC FACILITIES

The traffic facilities of Orange County are unsurpassed, due partly to its
own need of such facilities and partly to its lying in the path of traffic to other
sections of the state. These facilities consist of branches of two transcontinental
railroads, an electric interurban railway, littoral contact with the Pacific Ocean
and thousands of motor vehicles to carry on the traffic over the hundreds of miles
of good roads.

The first railroad to enter the territory now comprising Orange County was
.the Southern Pacific. The spirit of enterprise and achievement, that inspired the
building of the Central Pacific Railroad, still burned in the breasts of the heroic
band who accomplished that feat, or of their successors, when the increasing
immigration to the southern part of the state in the early seventies attracted their
attention. They immediately formed another company, naming it the Southern
Pacific Railroad Company, bought the Los .\ngeles and Wilmington Railroad,
which had been built by local enterprise, and commenced building out of Los
Angeles in three directions: North toward San Francisco, east through San
Gorgonio Pass and south toward San Diego. The latter ranch reached Anaheim
January 1, 1875, where it stopped over two years. The management, however,
becoming jealous of the ocean traffic developing through Newport Bay, ex-



nrST(3RV OK ORAXGU C( JLXTV 107

tended the railroad across the river to East Santa Ana. where the terminus of
that branch remains to this day.

Shortly after the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad came into the county
and went on through to San Diego, the Southern Pacific Railroad thought it would
pick up its terminus at Santa Ana and transfer it to San Diego, so as to continue
the competition in that county that it had been waging with the new road in this
county, but even the most determined people cannot always have their own way.
That company could not get its terminus out of Santa Ana because the property
owners between the county seat and Tustin refused to allow the road to cross
their property. In sheer desperation it started another branch road south of
Anaheim, thence east to Villa Park and south to M'cPherson, thence southeast
through the Hewes ranch past Tustin to a point on the San Joaquin ranch where
that terminus would be safe from sequestration. This Tustin branch of the
Southern Pacific has become a feeder of the main line in the fruit shipping season.

A\'hen the Los Alamitos sugar factory was built near the western boundary
of the county in 1896. the Southern Pacific Company built a road from Anaheim
across to that place to handle the traffic of the factory. About the year 1902,
when the McFadden r)rothers were curtailing their activities, they sold the Santa
Ana and Newport Railroad to ex-Senator \V. A. Clark, who immediately turned it
over to the Southern Pacific Company. Shortly after this purchase the company
built a line from Newport to Smeltzer, eleven miles, to handle the celery, sugar
beets and other products of that section.

These various liranches make a total of nearly sixty miles of railroad, dis-
tributed throughout the county so as to be accessible to the majority of the people,
and owned and operated by the Southern Pacific Railroad Company.

The following account of the building of the Santa Fe lines in Orange County
was furnished by the chief engineer of the Atchison. To]3eka & Santa Fe Railroad
Company :

"From the northeastern boundary line of the county in Santa Ana Canyon
'.lear Gypsum to near the north boundary of the city of Santa Ana, via Olive, and
from the city of Orange, via Anaheim and Fullerton, to the northwestern line of
the county near Northam, was constructed in the years 1887 and 1888 by the
Riverside, Santa Ana & Los Angeles Railway Company.

"From near the north boundary of the city of Santa Ana. via Rancho San
■ Joaquin and San Juan Capistrano, to the southernmost corner of the county at San
Mateo Point near San Alateo station, was constructed by the San Bernardino &
San Diego Railway Company in 1887 and 1888.

"The branch line from Richfield to Olinda oil fielils was constructed by the
Southern California Railwa}- Company in 1889. and

"The main line between Richfield and Fullerton was constructed by the Ful-
lerton & Richfield Railway Company in 1910.

"The mileage of the above is 71.79 miles. The mileage of side tracks in the
county is Z7 miles."

As soon as the Santa Fe was ready to do business it found the Southern
Pacific determined to beat it to the business and, if possible, maintain its monopoly
of the field. This resulted in several months of fierce rate-cutting, so that a
first class ticket could be bought to Missouri River points for a dollar and freights
from the Middle States were almost nothing. Finally rates were restored at less
than the old monopolistic prices and the service was greatly improved bv the
competition.

When Henry E. Huntington decided to put his ideals of good railroad build-
ing into practice and make use of electricity as the motive power, he saw no more
inviting field than Southern California for the investment of his millions. He
announced that his company would ask no right of way nor bonus of any kind,
but it would buy and pay for whatever it needed. He soon found that he didn't
have sufficient money to buy a right of way at the landowner's price and have



108 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

any left wifh which to build and equip a railroad thereon afterward, so he changed
his poHcy and required the communities desiring the road to furnish the right of
way.

During the year 1905 the people of Santa Ana and vicinity acquired tlie
right of way for the Pacific Electric railway in a straight line from ^^■atts to
Santa Ana for about $22,000. The following year the road was built and its
arrival was celebrated in Santa Ana by a "Parade of Products" in December,
1906. Without regard to the chronological order, the following additional lines
have been built in the county within the past fifteen years: A line from Los An-
geles via W'hittier enters Orange County near the northwest corner, passes through
La Habra, Brea and Yorba Linda and heads for the Santa Ana Canyon, but stops
for the present at a little station east of Richfield called Stern. It is the intention
to extend this line up the canyon to connect with the Corona and Riverside line
and thereby make a through line from the interior to Los Angeles. The company
has already acquired portions of the right of way through the canyon. A third
line branches off from the Los Angeles and Long Beach line at Signal Hill, enters
Orange County at Seal Beach and, skirting the beach cities and towns, terminates
at Balboa near the entrance to Newport Harbor. A fourth line connects the first
line at Santa Ana with the third line at Huntington Beach, passing the Southern
California Sugar Factory on its way to the coast. A fifth line leaves the first
line at the intersection of- Fourth and JMain streets in Santa Ana, goes north on
Main Street out of the city and then swings east to Lemon Street in Orange,
terminating for the present at its depot in the latter city.

^^'hile the negotiations for the fifth line were pending, ]\Ir. Huntington traded
all his interurban red car lines for all the street yellow car lines in Los Angeles,
which up to that time belonged to the Southern Pacific Railroad Company. This
deal gave the latter company possession of the Pacific Electric Railway Company :
but it was decided to keep the two companies separate. However, it is understood
that the companies will mutually assist each other, and rumors have been rife
about the Southern Pacific's intention to electrify the Tustin and Newport
branches. It is probable that the Tustin branch will be thus changed and be used
as an extension of the fifth line north from Orange to connect with the company's
line into Los Angeles. In fact, the roadbed has already been graded north from
Orange : but work was stopjjed by the late war. The total length of the various
lines of the Pacific Electric Railway Company in the county of Orange is 66.268
miles.

The following figures show the mileage and valuation of these railway sys-
tems, as fixed by the State Board of Equalization:

Assessment of Railroads, 1918

Names of Roads No. of Miles Price per JMile Total Valuation

S. P. R. R. Co 59.682 $28,137.18 $1,679,402.54

Pullman Co 62.42 1,034.61 64,580.36

A., T. & S. F. R. R. Co 71.97 22,432.19 1,614,444.71

P. E. Railway Co 66.268 21,402.77 1,418,318.76

It will be understood from the foregoing description, or it may be seen on
the map, that these railroads are about as widely distributed over the settled por-
tions of the county as possible : hence the greatest number of people are reached
by their service and the only duplication is in the through service between the
large cities.

A county bordering on the great Pacific Ocean for its entire length, as
Orange County does, would naturally have a fresh, invigorating climate ; it would
also have easy access to water transportation, which is the cheapest transportation
in the world. With such a traffic facility in reserve, no exorbitant transportation
charges would long be endured by the people, especially as population increases
and means for business ventures become abundant.



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 109

The last of the county's traffic facilities to he mentioned is tlie thousands of
motor vehicles that are used on the hundreds of miles of good roads. The motive
power for the vast majority of these motor vehicles is gas, generated from gasoline
which is a product of petroleum ; hence these motor vehicles get their fuel at first
hand, from the oil producers of Orange County. The first gasoline engine ever
seen in this county was exhibited to a crowd on one of the vacant lots in Santa
Ana about thirty years ago. The demonstrator predicted then that the gas engine
would largely displace the steam engine, which prediction has come true so far
as small, portable engines are concerned.

To get an idea of the amount of traffic carried on by motor vehicles a person
should ride over some of the principal roads and note the number of vehicles
he meets. Then he should go into the marts of trade and packing houses and see
the number of huge motor trucks, with one or two trailers each, piled high with
the products of the orchards and farms. But perhaps the best evidence of the
large number of motor vehicles in actual use would be a report of the registrations
for Orange County in the State JNIotor Vehicle Department at Sacramento. While
Orange County is in the fourteenth class according to population based on the
1910 census, it ranks ninth in the 1919 motor vehicle registration. The counties
having the highest and the lowest registrations are given along with Orange
County by way of comparison, and also the totals for the state, as follows:
Counties 1914 1915 1916 1917 1918 1919

Alpine 9 11 15 18 17 16

Los Angeles 43,099 55,Z\7 74,709 03,654 107,232 109,435

Orange 3,761 4,913 6,440 8,132 9,430 9,794

Totals for State 123,516 163,795 232,440 306,916 364,800 376,768

The foregoing registrations do not include farm tractors, of which there
were 750 in 1919, as reported by the dealers selling them in the county.

The report of the department for 1O20, containing five sejiarate items about
each county, is given a seiiarate table, as follows :

Motor-
Commercial .\uto cycle
Counties .\ntomobiles Trucks Alotf>rc\clcs Dealers Dealers

Alpine 14 2 .....'

Los Angeles 132,145 10,083 6,231 678 25

Orange 14,240 397 548 85 10

Totals for State 450,155 31,195 17,750 3,199 2V)

The semi-annual statement of apportionment of motor veliicle fees to coun-
ties for the period from January 1, V>20. to Jul}' 31, l')20, was as follows:

State and County
Counties Net Receipts Apportionment

Alpine $ 160.62 $ 84.81

Los Angeles 1. 384,435. .^0 602,217.75

Orange' 1 14,045.48 57.022.74

Totals for State $4,646,529.23 $2,323,264.61

It is noticeable in the foregoing tables that Orange County's automobiles
increased 4,446 in 1920 over those in 1919, making this county fifth from the top
in the graduated list of automobiles in the state. The county will probably mo.ve
up from the fourteenth class to the tenth in population under the new census.

While noticing that the great county of Los .\ngeles owns nearly a third of
the registered motor vehicles of the entire state, and has nearly twelve times as
many as this county, don't overlook the fact that the little county of Orange is
fifth in the ownership of cars ; that is, there are only four counties in the state
with more cars than Orange and fifty-three with less.

The interruption of the mails and other traffic in Orange County for three
days during the last week in August, 1919. by a strike of the employees on the
steam railroads, points to the following conclusions : (1) No matter how good
the county's traffic facilities, they must be utilized and operated in order to be of



110 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

real benefit to the people. (2) Government ownership per sc will not cure labor
troubles, for these steam roads were absolutely controlled b}' the Government, yet
such control did not prevent the strike. (3) Government regulation unll cure
labor troubles, as was seen in the cessation of the strike when the Government
issued its mandate without itself owning the roads. However, such regulation
should be fairly and sc|uarely administered on behalf of employers, employees and
the general public whose patronage pays the bills.

CHAPTER XIX

SUNDRY VOLUNTARY ORGANIZATIONS

Orange County Medical Association
By Dr. John L. Dryer

The Orange County Medical Association was organized June 13, 1889, just
nine days after the election for county division which separated Orange from the
mother county of Los Angeles.

The first meeting of physicians was held on that day at two p. m. in the office
of Judge Humphreys, a small frame building located where the Sunset Club
now stands. Those present were: Dr. W. B. Wall, Dr. T. M. Lacy, Dr. T- A.
Crane, Dr. J. P. Boyd, Dr. C. D. Ball. Dr. S. B. Davis and Dr. John L. Dryer,
all of Santa Ana.

Dr. J. A. Crane called to order and stated the objects of the meeting.

Dr. W". B. \\3.\\ was chosen temporary president, and Dr. J. P. Boyd tem-
porary secretary.

The following agreement was drawn up and signed by all present: "W'c,
the undersigned physicians of Orange County, agree to form ourselves into an
organization to be known as the Orange County Medical Association, and to be
governed by such rules as may be hereafter determined upon."

On motion the secretary was instructed to receive the signatures of Dr. J.
R. Medlock of Santa Ana, and Dr. L. H. Fuller. of Tustin, each of whom had
signified his intention to be present but was unable to do so.

The following resolution was adopted:

"Resolved, That any regular physician of Orange County against whom iki
objection is raised at a subsequent meeting, be allowed to participate in the organ-
ization of this Association."

Under the foregoing resolution Dr. J. H. Bullard of .\naheim and Dr. W.
B. Wood of Orange were received and added to the list of charter members —
eleven in all.

The next meeting was held on June 2'^, following, at which time a Ciinstitu-
tion and By-Laws were adopted, and under the pennanent organization the fol-
lowing officers were elected and installed to serve until the first annual meeting
in 1890:

President. Dr. \V. B. \\"all : Xice-President. Dr. T. ^L Lacv ; Secretary, Dr.
J. -P. Boyd; Treasurer, Dr. W. 1'.. Wood.

The first members elected under the Constitution were Dr. I. D. Mills of
Santa Ana, and Dr. D. W. Hunt of Anaheim, both in September. On November
5th Dr. J. A. Blake of Fnllerton was also elected to membership, but never at-
tended any session of the Association.

The year 1889 closed with fourteen members as named on the roll, and no
others were added until 1894, while during this period the records show a net
loss of three, on account of removal from the county. These were Doctor Blake,
above mentioned. Doctor Fuller and Doctor Davis, the last two being charter
members.



HISTORY OF ORANGE COL'XTY llT

The first annual meeting was a public one held in Spurgeon's Hall and ad-
dressed by Dr. Walter Lindley of Los Angeles, then president of the State Med-
ical Society, and Professor (now Judge) Conrey, also of Los Angeles.

In June, 1891, the Association entertained the Medical Society of Southern,
California, the meeting and banquet being held in what was then Odd Fellows'
Hall, in the First National Bank Building. The sessions were well attended. An
excursion about and through the valley was greatly appreciated by the visiting
d.octors, although there was a marked absence of automobiles. Twice since then
the Association has entertained the Southern Society, once in 1897, again with-
out automobiles, and in 1908, when machines were abundant.

From its very beginning to the present time good work, in the preparation
of papers, and the presentation of cases for clinical study, has been the rule. The
meetings have been regular and well attended, and even when its membership was-
small the attendance was proportional to that of later times, although long drives
had to be made with horses from distant towns, to attend the monthly sessions,
which have always occurred on the first Tuesday evening of each month.

I'ntil the completion of the Carnegie Library in Santa Ana, the sessions of
the Association were usually held in the office of the doctor who was to read the
paper or lead in the discussion of a selected topic. For the most part these were
in the county seat, though many interesting gatherings were held in surrounding,
towns.

Since the completion of the Library the sessions when in Santa Ana have been
held in the executive committee room of that building, adjoining which, in a
convenient alcove, a growing medical library, consisting of several hundred vol-
umes, has been established.

Though from the first organization until 1894 the membership declined in
numbers, it never fell below the original number — eleven, and from said date the
list steadily increased with the growth of the county and enlargement of its towns.

From, and including the first enrollment in 1889, there have been during
the thirty and one-half years, ending December 31st, 191''. a total of ninety-one
members received, while the present number is forty-four.

A number of physicians have come into the county, affiliated for a time, and
then removed to other fields. Since under the rules of the Association such
removal terminates membership, it is impossible to give e.xact duration of one so
ended.

Death has dealt kindl\- with the .Association during the period mentioned, and
although a large per cent of the original founders were men well advanced in
years, but iiine active members have been so taken. Of these Dr. J. A. Crane, Dr.
W. B. ^^■all, Dr. J. M. Lacy, and Dr. J. R. Medlock were charter members, and
with Dr. Ida B. Parker were ex-presidents. One member was, by a unanimous
vote, expelled from the .Association for unethical conduct. Of the original charter
members there remain on the mil. Dr. C. D. Uall. Dr. I. P. Bovcl and Dr. John
L. Dryer.

Beginning with the new influx of members in 1804, the list of those received
since then is as follows :

1894— J. G. Berneike, L. N. W heeler, C. W. Rairdon.

1895— A. F. Bradshaw, G. J. Rubleman. L. W. Allingham. F. E. Wilson.

1897— J. B. Cook. W. V. Marshbnrn.

1898— G. S. Eddv. D. F. Rover.

1899— Wm. Freeman. H. S. Gordon. F. M. Bruner.

1900— A. Bennie, J. A. Tyler.

IQPl— E. M. Freeman, John W^ehrlv.

1902— R. A. Cushman, G. H. Dobson.

1903— H. A. Johnston, Ida B. Parker. I. G. McCleod, T- W. Jones.

1904— T. I. Clark, I M. Burlew, G. A. Shank.

1905— T. II. Beebe"



112 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

1906— C. C. \iolett, J. S. Gowan, C. L. Rich.

1907— F. J. Gobar, H. E. W. Barnes, \\'. H. Sver.

1908— S. G. Huff.

1909— H. M. Robertson. W. S. Davis, F. L. Chapline, H. H. Forline, \V. H.
\\ickett.

1911— Geo. L. Prentice, J. W. Shaul, R. A. Cushnian (re-elected after ab-
sence from the county), T- H. Lang, Geo. C. Clark, John Janus, Jos. F. Dovle.

1912— A. H. Domann, C. H. Brooks, Geo. C. Bryan, ']. W. Utter.

1913— John W. Truxaw.

1914— Albert Osborne, W. W. Davis, Harry E. Zaiser, F. E. Winter, E. F.
Jones. Dorothy Harbaugh, J. E. McKillop, A. M. Tweedie.

1915— J. C. Osher, C. W. Harvey, J. M. Bartholomew, W. C. DuBois, F.
E. Wilson (re-elected after absence from county), John F. McCauley, \\'. H.
Wickett (re-elected after retirement).

1916— H. P. Hendricks, G. M. Tralle.

1917— ?^lrs. B. Raiche, O. O. Young, E. C. Day, J. Luther ^laroon, C. C.
Crawford, J. A. Jackson.

1918— D. C. "Cowles, M. C. Mvers. J. P. Brastad.

1919_S. A. Marsden, H. D. Newkirk.

There have been twenty-eight presidents. Dr. \\'. B. Wall having served four
years, each of the others a single }'ear — as follows:



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 14 of 191)