Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 142 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 142 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


he studied at Christian College in Oskaloosa, Iowa. Then he taught school in Des
Moines County for five years, after which he married Miss Minnie A. Lyons, a native of
Winfield. Iowa, and the daughter of Hugh and Elizabeth Lyons. As an old settler, her
father was an extensive farmer, prominent in Iowa politics, and a member of the assem-
bly in the Iowa legislature.

Following their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Carden removed to Henry County and
engaged in the hardware and implement business; and there they continued until 1904.
when they came to California and Santa Ana, and for a year Mr. Carden was in the
general merchandise business. Then he began his career as a realtor, and such has been
his success in this field, that he has continued in it ever since. He is now the senior
member of Carden. Liebig & Seamans. who have their offices at 307 North Main
Street. They handle both city and country property, and make a specialty of ranches.
Mr. Carden himself is interested directly in horticulture, having owned and improved
several ranches, and so is able personally to judge of many points at issue in the selling
and buying of farm property. He is an ex-director of the Chamber of Commerce, and
a stockholder and a director in the Orange County Trust and Savings Bank. A
Republican in matters of national politics, he has not allowed partisanship to influence
him in his willing service as a member, for a term, on the board of education.

Three children blessed the union of Mr. and Mrs. Carden: Jessie has become Mrs.
Jabe Hill of Santa .Ana, her husband being a member of Hill & Carden. the clothiers;
Lester T. is the other member of that firm; and Helen is at home. Mr. Carden was made
a Mason in Santa .Ana Lodge No. 241, F. & A. M., and he also belongs to the Santa -Ana
Lodge of Odd Fellows. The family are members of the First Presbyterian Church,
where Mr. Carden has been a trustee for the past twelve years.





^^X^^^c2:i^->^<^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1279

FRANK W. MILLEN.— The right man. in the right place, at the right hour would
seem to be Frank W. Millen, of the well-known tirm of Millen and Lampman. dealers
in sand and gravel, who are doing as much as any one in Orange County to solve the
vexing problems attending the dearth of houses and the urgent demand for buildings
and building materials. He is a man of wide experience, excellent judgment and con-
scientious attention to business; and is very popular with all who have occasion to
have dealings with him.

Mr. Millen was born in Henderson County, III., on May 8. 1872. the son of John
and Sarah (Gordon) Millen. His father was born in Indiana and married in Illinois;
and in that latter state both his mother and he himself were born, on the same old
family farm. He grew up in the vicinity of his birth, and not far from his birthplace
served his apprenticeship to the carpenter's trade.

In 1906 Mr. Millen came out to California and settled in Santa Ana; he worked
at his trade for about one year, then took up the contracting business on his own
responsibility and built many residences during the nine years he followed the business.
Santa Ana has been his home ever since, with the exception of two and a half years
when he and his partner were cement contractors at San Pedro. In 1917, Messrs.
Millen and Lampman removed from the harbor, and recently they have further ex-
panded by leasing a tract of five acres on the Long Beach road, one quarter of a mile
west of the County Hospital. There they have installed a hoist and screen drawn by
an eight-horse power gas engine; and this is perhaps the largest deposit of pea gravel
and clean sand to be found in Orange County. A careful analysis has shown it to be
free from dirt — an advantage that only the builder appreciates. The carefully-wrought
screens sort out four grades, all the way from plastering sand to pea gravel for foun-
dations, curbs, gutters and sidewalks. Their product is delivered to the contractors in
Orange County and adjacent territory by truck. Their capacity now averages fifty yards
daily and they are rapidly increasing their plant.

Both Mr. Lampman and Mr. Millen are experienced, energetic and highly progres-
sive operators; and in view of the growing markets touching their field, it is safe to
predict for them a constantly increasing trade. Already they are one of the elements
of strength, and most promising, in the Santa Ana commercial world.

HENRY W. WITMAN.— .\ ranchman who has had an extensive, varied experi-
ence, and has so well succeeded that he has become an excellent beet grower, a public-
spirited citizen and a good neighbor, is Henry W. Witman, at present operating 150
acres on the Irvine ranch. He was born at Catlettsburg, Ky., July 13, 1860, situated
on the Ohio and Big Sandy Rivers, and was reared in the oil fields of West Virginia.
Has father was Charles Witman, a pioneer West Virginia oil operator, who at one time
had 100 pumping wells. He was married in Kentucky to Miss Ann McMillan, a native
of Aberdeen. Ohio, and the daughter of Wm. McMillan, a Scotch-Irish millwright. The
Witmans during several generations were identified with Pennsylvania, and Henry
Witman, a brother of Charles, was also a pioneer in the oil enterprise and made a
specialty of the manufacture and vending of tools and machinery for sinking oil wells,
his headquarters being at Parkersburg, W. Va. Mr. and Mrs. Charles Witman came
to California in 1885, and they both died at Los Angeles, having each reached the ripe
old age of eighty-one.

As Henry Witman grew up. he also got into the oil game, and at twenty-one in
Volcano, W. \'a.. September 21. 1881, he was married to Miss Emma C. Mudge, a native
of Philadelphia. Pa., but a resident of Parkersburg, W. Va., and a graduate of the Lees-
burg, Va., Seminary. Mr. Witman himself was a graduate of the celebrated Eastman
Business College at Poughkeepsie, N. Y. Mrs. Witman is a daughter of Daniel C. and
Emily (Carr) Mudge, born on Long Island, N. Y., and St. Louis, Mo., respectively.
As a young man Mr. Mudge was located at Council Bluflfs, Iowa, with a firm of Indian
traders. Returning East he was married in Virginia after which he was with Hood,
Bonbright and Company, an importing firm in Philadelphia, Pa. Later he was super-
intendent of coal mines in Pennsylvania and then in West Virginia, After he retired
they resided in Yonkers, N. Y., until their death. On her mother's side Mrs. Witman's
ancestors fought in the Revolutionary War.

After his marriage, Mr. Witman took up the lumber business in the great saw
mills of the Alleghany Mountains, in West Virginia, and for two and a half years
was in the service of a Baltimore Lumber Company. In 1887, however, during the
great "boom" in realty here, he came out to California and settled at Hueneme, in
Ventura County, where he engaged in hardware and plumbing until 1900, when the
Oxnard Sugar Factory started up, and he removed his business to Oxnard where, aside
from his hardware and plumbing business, he was associated with E. A. Chambers in
drilling artesian wells. For twelve years he continued in business and under President



1280 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUXTY

McKinley and President Roosevelt he served as postmaster of Oxnard. He was also
secretary of the board of trustees of the Oxnard Union high school for ten years.

In 1908, with the same partner, E. A. Chambers, now deceased, he leased a ranch
of 700 acres at Tomato Springs on the Irvine ranch. Orange County, and for five
years farmed to lima beans. Then his partner died, and Mr. W'itman then turned over
the lease to his son, H. W. Witman, Jr., who is still farming there. In 1913 he dis-
posed of his interests in Ventura County and moved to Orange County and took his
present lease on the Irvine ranjch.

Mr. Witman has wrought a magical transformation in the 150 acres he is oper-
ating. He devotes 100 acres to sugar beets, and fifty acres to barley hay, and it is
safe to say that there are no more attractive fields anywhere in the Aliso district, the
whole presenting a very different sight from that beheld by him and W. G. Mitchell,
manager of the Irvine Company, with whom he drove through there seven years ago.
Then there was such a morass of wild mustard and sunflowers that they had to stand
up in their wagon to see where they were. He put the first plow in the soil and the
land is now a choice beet and market garden district, recently drained by the Irvine
Company, which supplies all the water needed, from wells pumped by electricity.

Five children have blessed this marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Witman. Roy B., the
eldest, is in the furniture and plumbing business at Oxnard. Mary M. is the wife
of Harry C. Bohlander, a .beet grower on the Irvine ranch. Ellen B., the third born,
became the wife of L. L. Edmunds, chief engineer of the Crockett Sugar Refinery,
residing at Crockett, and died on May 8, 1920, leaving two children: H. W., Jr., already
referred to, is the lima bean grower on the Irvine ranch, and Daniel Phillip, who grad-
uated from the Harvard Military School at Los Angeles, in June, 1920, is farming beets
on the Irvine ranch with his father.

A Republican in national politics, Mr. Witman was for years active in Ventura
County politics as central committeeman and delegate to county conventions. Fra-
ternally he was made a Mason in Volcano Lodge in ^\"est \"irginia, in 1881 and on
coming to California was a charter member of Hueneme Lodge No. 341, F. & A. M.,
which was afterwards removed to Oxnard and named Oxnard Lodge No. 341, and
there he was the second master. He is a member of Oxnard Chapter, R. A. M., and of
Ventura Commandery No. 4, K. T. and Al Malaikah Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S., Los
Angeles. He is also a life member of the Santa Ana Lodge of Elks and a member of
the Eagles of Oxnard. Mrs. Witman is a member of the Episcopal Church as well as
the Ebell Club of Santa Ana and both took an active part in the Red Cross and war
drives in the Irvine district.

WILLIAM HENEKS. — Descended through the paternal genealogy from sturdy
residents of Holland, that little country famed for its thrift and frugality, William
Heneks has inherited many of the sterling qualities of his forbears, and these, com-
bined with his own initiative and determination, have brought him a large degree of
success. Mr. Heneks was born in Montgomery County, Pa., in 1844, his parents being
John and Mary (Treichler) Heneks. The father, who combined the occupation of
blacksmith with agricultural pursuits, was also a native of that state. Grandfather
Heneks having settled in eastern Pennsylvania shortly after coming over from Holland.
Eight children were born to Mr. and Mrs. John Heneks: John Parker, Lydia Ann;
Effinger, who lives in Cedar Rapids, Iowa; Joseph; David; Elizabeth, who resides at
Santa Ana with her brother William; Mary, who died in Iowa; and William.

\Jp to the age of twelve years. William Heneks resided on the old home farm in
Pennsylvania, attending the local schools of the community. In 185S the Heneks
family removed to' Cedar County, Iowa, and here he received but little opportunity for
any further education, as he early began to do farm work, helping establish the family
home in the new country, as the locality now occupied by large towns and rich farms
was as yet comparatively sparsely settled and the magnitude of its present prosperity
as yet undiscerned. By dint of industry and good management he became the owner
of a good farm of 120 acres and this he farmed with splendid results for a number of
years, also being associated with his sister, Miss Elizabeth Heneks, in the cultivation
of the eighty-acre farm she had acquired.

An older brother, John Parker Heneks, came to California about 1898, his health
requiring a milder climate; he was a veteran of the Civil War, having participated in
Sherman's famous march to the sea and the many hardships he had undergone had
sadly impaired his health. Although comparatively an invalid and unable to take any
active part in business he was much impressed with the wonderful possibilities apparent
in this beautiful country, and he wrote to his brothers and sisters, urging them to come
to Orange County and enjoy its wonderful climate and take advantage of its oppor-
tunities. At the time of his death, 1900, William Heneks and his brother Efiinger, now



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1283

ninety-three years old, came to Santa Ana and even during their short stay at that
time they were much impressed with this part of the country. In 1903 William and his
sister Elizabeth disposed of their farming interests in Iowa and came to Santa Ana.
For a year and a half they lived on Pine Street, removing from there to 1406 East First
Street, where they purchased a twenty-acre walnut ranch. Mr. Heneks at once set
to work to improve the place in every possible way, putting in cement pipe lines for
irrigation and bringing the whole ranch up to a high state of cultivation, so that it
became one of the best paying properties in the vicinity. In January, 1920, they dis-
posed of this ranch at a handsome figure and he and his sister now reside at their
beautiful home at 702 South Broadway, Santa Ana, one of the south side's most attrac-
tive places, with its well-kept lawn, walks, arbors and flowers, and here they enjoy
the fruits of their useful and industrious lives. They enter heartily into the spirit of
Santa Ana's progress and the community is indeed fortunate to have gained such
worthy and estimable residents.

JUAN GARIBALDI CARILLO.— The name of Carillo is one that is well known
m Southern California, the family having been among the largest landowners in this
section, and prominent in the history of its early days. T. G. Carillo, or Garibaldi, as
he is familiarly known by his friends, the subject of this sketch, is the son of Jose R.
and Vincenta (Sepulveda) Carillo, the latter being the daughter of Francisco Sepulveda,
who was the owner of a large rancho west of Olive. At the time of her marriage to
Jose R. Carillo she was the widow of Thomas Yorba, of the well-known Spanish family
whose name is linked with the early days of Orange County.

Jose R. Carillo was the owner of a large Spanish grant in San Diego County,
now called Warner's ranch. It was three miles square and comprised 5,760 acres. He
also owned the Rancho San Jose, adjoining Warner's ranch, a tract of over 25,000 acres.
Mr. and Mrs. Carillo were the parents of nine children, six daughters and three sons.
Garibaldi being the youngest in order of birth. He was born on the Carillo ranch in
San Diego County, May 19, 1861. His father died in 1864, having been shot from
ambuscade at Cucanionga Creek. Garibaldi then lived with his mother on Warner's
ranch until 1870, when they moved to Anaheim, where he went to school and also
worked out on farms to help his mother. When sixteen years of age, he with twelve
others drove 900 head of horses belonging to Don Juan Forster to Utah, remaining there
two years, when he returned home. He farmed near Corona, Riverside County, for five
years, and then became foreman for Don Marco Forster at Capistrano, which position
he filled five years: then as foreman for Richard O'Neill an additional five years, when
he resigned to go to Nicaragua, Central .\merica, in 1893: for two years he dealt
in coflfee, rubber and hides, shipping to New York Citj', when he was taken sick and
returned to California in 1895. He then became foreman for James McFadden, a posi-
tion he filled with ability for five years, when he quit and located a homestead of 160
acres near Hot Springs, Riverside County, where he resided and brought it to a high
state of cultivation. He then returned to Santa .\na and spent one year as a foreman
and then quit to engage in partnership in cattle raising with James McFadden on the
place he is now on, known as the Aliso ranch of 1,487 acres — five miles east of El Toro,
and the next year he leased the ranch and since then has engaged in farming and raising
cattle, horses, mules and hogs, in which he has been very successful, being a member of
the California Cattle Growers Association. He is also the owner of a ranch of 160
acres in Riverside County and this he devotes to stock raising, having for the past
fifteen years used the Forest Reserve for a stock range.

In San Luis Rey, March 4, 1900, Juan G. Carillo was united in marriage with Miss
Petra Ortega, who is also a descendant of two distinguished Spanish families. .She is
the daughter of Juan D. and Eduvige (Tico) Ortega, and both parents are still living,
the father being the manager of the James McFadden ranch at Santa Ana. Grand-
father Miguel Emidio Ortega, who owned the Ortega grant in Santa Barbara County,
covering two leagues, married Concepcion Dominguez, who died in 1909 at Ventura at
the age of ninety-seven years, after an eventful life covering a long vista of years, in
which she saw the country grow from the small settlement clustered about the Mission
to a thriving city and prosperous countryside. The old Ortega homestead, where she
passed so many years of her life, has long occupied a place among the interesting land-
marks of Ventura and its reproduction on paper has become familiar to thousands
throughout the United States and foreign lands, as it is used as a trademark by E. C.
Ortega, the wealthy owner and founder of the Pioneer Chile Packing Company of Los
Angeles, a son of Dona Concepcion Dominguez Ortega.

Mrs. Petra Carillo is descended from the Tico family through her mother, whose
brother, J. J. Tico, was one of Ventura's oldest residents, his death occurring there in
1919. His father, Fernando Tico, who married Maria Jesus Ortega, was given the Ojai



1284 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

grant, covering four Spanish leagues, by Governor Juan D. Alvarado, the Ticos being
among the first Spanish families to settle in Ventura County.

Mr. and Mrs. Carillo are the parents of seven children: Carlos and Vincenta at-
tend the Capistrano Union high school and Vincenta took the prize in the Liberty Loan
speakers' contest at Trabuca school in 1919; Juanita, Bennie, Jerome, Randolph and
George. Identified with this locality for half a century, Mr. Carillo stands high in the
esteem of a large circle of friends and with his interesting family takes an active interest
in all that pertains to the welfare of the community. The family are communicants of
the Catholic Church at El Toro and in politics Mr. Carillo is a Republican.

HARVEY F. BENNETT.— The son of one of Orange County's best known
pioneer citizens who contributed much to the advancement of the vital interests of
the county, especially in the early days, Harvey F. Bennett is himself a native son of
the Golden State. The Bennett family traces its ancestry back to the earlist colonial
days, some of that name being among the first groups of those brave souls who risked
the dangers of the deep and the barren conditions of a new land. They were identified
with the early agricultural upbuilding of this country and fought valiantly in its wars
and were always prominent in its public affairs.

Charles F. Bennett, the father of the subject of this sketch, was born at Kent,
Litchfield County, Conn., April 23, 1842, his parents being William and Sarah (Brun-
sen) Bennett. William Bennett was engaged in various manufacturing enterprises at
Litchfield, but in 1851 he removed with his family to the then sparsely settled regions
of LaSalle County, 111., settling near Deerpark, where he took up a tract of virgin land,
which he brought under cultivation, at the same time devoting some attention to manu-
facturing various articles. Charles F. Bennett received his early education at the old
Connecticut home, where as a small boy he had the great fortune to come under the
personal influence of Wendell Phillips and William Lloyd Garrison, so that he was
from a child inculcated with the principles of abolition, and in later years this was
increased by a personal acquaintance with Abraham Lincoln and John C. Fremont.
Coming with his parents to Illinois, his boyhood was spent on the home farm in
LaSalle County, and even then he was identified with many stirring scenes in aiding
slaves in their flight toward liberty. When the Civil War broke out he was taking a
preparatory course in the Chicago University, and he soon enlisted. In August, 1862,
he was assigned to the Douglas Brigade, participating in thirty-two engagements with .
this organization, among them the battles of Shiloh and Vicksburg. He had charge
of the guard at General Sherman's headquarters during the famous march to the sea
and vividly recalls the consultation between Sherman, Grant and Logan regarding the
decision to take this line of action, which proved to be the turning point of the war.
Mr. Bennett was slightly wounded several times and had many narrow escapes, being
grazed with bullets on a number of occasions. When he received his honorable dis-
charge, with the rank of first lieutenant, at the close of the war, the hardships and
privations had greatly impaired his health, but after two years he was again suffi-
ciently restored in strength to take up active work. For a number of years he engaged
in teaching school in various parts of Illinois, and was also interested in stock raising
near the old Bennett homestead.

In 1872 C. F. Bennett was united in marriage with Miss Helen Beach, who was
also a native of Connecticut, and in 1878 they decided to seek their fortune on the
great plains of the West and so removed to Nebraska, making the long journey from
Illinois in a prairie schooner. Mr. Bennett engaged in cattle raising until the range
became too limited through the settling up of the country. He then settled at Arapahoe,
Nebr., where he conducted a hotel as well as a large merchandise business. Coming
to California in 1885, they settled first at San Diego, a small town at that time, as the
railroad to that point had not yet been built. They remained there but a short time,
coming up the coast to Oceahside, where they purchased a forty-acre hillside farm.
During the boom, they disposed of their holdings at a profit and came to Tustin,
where he purchased ten acres, subsequently developing it and making it one of the
choice properties of that locality; he now has twenty-two acres in Tustin and Santa
Ana; also owns a sixty-acre ranch at El Toro. One of the authorities on irrigation in
the country, Mr. Bennett installed one of the few private irrigation systems at El Toro
taking water from Aliso Creek, also put in a well and pumping plant, and his active
interest in promoting irrigation movements had much to do with the advancement of
land values. He and his wife still reside on their home place at Tustin.

Mr. and Mrs. C. F. Bennett are the parents of three living children — Frederick W.,
Charles A., and Harvey F.. their only daughter. Pearl Edna, having passed away some
years ago. Harvey F. Bennett was born at Tustin on October 31, 1892, and was
reared on the Bennett homestead there. He received a good education in the grammar
school at Tustin and at the Santa Ana high school, but being ambitious and anxious to



^^^^^^^^DHH^H!




^


P ^^ ^^


^


^M


Khh^BI^^


f


.<«^ I^^^^H













HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1287

get a start for himself he began farming while he was in his senior year at high school.
He located at El Toro in 1911, and as a reward for the thrift and industry of his early,
years he is now the owner of a choice ranch of twenty acres half a mile southeast of
El Toro, ten acres of which is in budded walnuts, now twelve years old, the other half
of his acreage being set to three-year-old Valencia oranges. In addition to this Mr.
Bennett manages the sixty-acre ranch belonging to his father, thirty acres of which is
in walnuts, the remaining thirty being planted to apricots, interspersed with walnuts.
The management of both holdings, comprising eighty acres, naturally brings with it
much responsibility and hard work, but Mr. Bennett is making a splendid success,
which is richly deserved.

Mr. Bennett's marriage, which occurred in 1914, united him with Miss Frances
Lillian McDonald, a daughter of T. F. McDonald, the well-known carpenter and builder
of Santa Ana. Two little girls have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Bennett — Helen Marie
and Beverly Ellen. Mrs. Bennett is a social leader in the community and in the
circles of the Episcopal Church at El Toro, where she teaches in the Sunday School
and is prominent in the work of the ladies' aid. While Mr. Bennett is inclined to the
political policies of the Democratic party, he is broad minded and nonpartisan in local



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 142 of 191)