Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 148 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 148 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


also owns seven and a half acres on Santiago Creek, at El Modena, his ranches being
devoted to growing oranges, lemons and walnuts. In Santa Ana, on December 1, 1915,
occurred the marriage of Mr. Buchheim, when he was united with Miss Annie Barg-
sten, born in Hanover, Germany, the daughter of Claus and Margreta (Jers) Bargsten,
who were farmer folk in Hanover. Mrs. Buchheim came to Orange, Cal., with her
uncle, Jacob Bargsten, in 1912, as he was returning from a visit home. Jacob Bargsten
was one of the pioneer settlers of Orange. Mr. and Mrs. Buchheim have been blessed
with two children; the younger, Robert Frank, is living. They attend the Lutheran
Church and take part in all of its benevolences.




^L^/@.^z^_



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1331

Having a desire to see his parents' pioneer home in Minnesota. Mr. Buchheim
has made two trips back -to that state and also extended his travel to the Atlantic
Coast, visiting New York City and other Atlantic ports. Although he was charmed
with the country in the East, yet in hi; estimation it does not equal California, and
Orange County in particular.

Mr. Buchheim is a good example of the efficient builders of the California of
today, who not only bring to bear the experience and wisdom of yesterday in the
inheritance of pioneer brawn and brain, but who are fortified with something of value
originating in a foreign land, and adapted to the institutions of our own country.

CHARLES J. SEGERSTROM.— A rancher whose carefully planned years of hard
work has netted him and his equally able wife and industrious family handsome returns,
is Charles J. Segerstrom, one of the most successful farmers in the Greenville district.
He was born at Sodernianland Lan, near Stockholm, Sweden, on June 29, 1856, the
son of Gustav Adolph Segerstrom. who came from a long line of military heroes, and
Anna Charlotta Anderson, whose family were seafaring merchants. The good parents
had seven children, all of whoirr are deceased except two daughters, who are now-
living in Chicago, and Charles. Gustav Adolph Segerstrom died in Sweden in 1876 and
his wife died in St. Paul, Minn., in 1884.

Charles passed his early life in Sweden, where he enjoyed the usual advantages of
the excellent elementary schools. After graduating from school he took a course in
agriculture under the best Government experts, and at an early age began farming for
himself, and since then has made his own way in the world.

On May 30, 1878. he was united in marriage to Bertha Christine Anderson, who
since has proven such a valuable helpmate in Mr. Segerstrom's ventures in the new
world. In 1882 he and his wife and three children sailed from Gothenburg, crossing the
North Sea to Hull, England, from there to Glasgow, where they went aboard the
Fornecia, the largest boat then used in crossing the Atlantic. After fourteen days of
stormy voyage they landed at Castle Garden on May 20, 1882, and soon after left for
Chicago. Arrived in the metropolis by the lakes. Mr. Segerstrom secured employment
with Libby, McNeil and Libby. the packers, and lost no time in entering on the great
work of adapting himself to his America environment.

After a year spent in Chicago, they moved to Prentice. Wis., where they spent
two years in the heart of the great pine forests as pioneers. The family next moved to
St. Paul. Minn., and here Charles was naturalized. He was engaged in the railroad
business for thirteen years and as a result he received the best of recommendations
from the railroad company.

In 1898 lured by the reports of still greater opportunities in the West the family
moved to California. They located at Orange, first leasing a twenty-acre orange ranch
from Mr. Riley. While there they took a pleasure trip to Newport Beach and passing
through Old Newport were so pleased with the locality they decided to locate there.
The first purchase was a forty-acre tract belonging to Ben Fallert, where they engaged
in dairying and alfalfa raising. The holdings have been increased extensively, one of
the purchases being the Brooks ranch, in 1912, where a modern residence has been
erected and is now the family home.

For the past five years Mr. Segerstrom and his sons have engaged in dairying
and the growing of lima beans and have enjoyed good and profitable results, the ranch
now being equipped with all modern buildings and machinery. Mr. and Mrs. Seger-
strom have been blessed with eleven children, all living except Clara who died in 1912.
The girls are: Christine. .\nne, Ida and Esther. The boys are: Charles Jr., Eric
William, Anton, Fred and Harold.

FRANK ULRICH. — \n expert blacksmith who has become a clever and success-
ful inventor, is Frank Ulrich, in more respects than one a citizen of worth. He was
born in Fayette County, 111., on February 19. 1876, the son of Fred Ulrich, who had
married Martha Walker. After Frank was born, his parents moved with him. then their
only child, to Barton County, Mo., and there the lad grew up in the public schools,
topping oflf his studies with a course at the Polytechnic high school at La Mar. Mo.
In the same town he served a three years' apprenticeship at the trade of a blacksmith,
and there the other four children of the family were born.

In 1896 Mr. Ulrich was married to Miss .'Mice .\inscough. a native of Barton
County, and four years later he came west to California, and settled for a while in
San Bernardino, where he worked in the railway shops of the Santa Fe Railway. Then
he went to Banning and put in two and a half years in a blacksmith shop there. Then
he shifted to Smeltzer, and worked for John McMillan, who then ran the blacksmith
shop at that place, and continued witli him for about six months, until he sold out.



1332 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

After that Mr. Ulrich pitched his tent in Wintersburg and once he had decided to
stay, he bought of James Kane the shop built by the latter. It is a one-story frame
structure, 24x72 feet in size, fitted up with an electric motor and an electric blower, as
well as a trip-hammer, an emery wheel, a drill and a power hacksaw, and also two
forges. In 1909, Mr. Ulrich built his residence, a pretty bungalow.

Mr. Ulrich does a general blacksmithing business, which includes horse-shoeing and
horse-clipping, and makes a specialty of oxy-acetylene welding, and he employs at least
one man the year around. He builds beet plows, cyclones and a so-called Swedish
harrow, and manufactures celery growers' tools. He has invented a tubing drainer, for
pumping oil out of oil wells, which he patented in 1918, and two of his inventions are
on trial in the Midway oil field at Taft, on the Santa Fe and the Hondo Oil Company's
leases. They give entire satisfaction and are well spoken of.

As a progressive, patriotic citizen, Mr. Ulrich has found pleasure in serving on
the board of trustees of the Ocean View School, and he was on both the board and
the building commission when that school was erected. He is a member of the Modern
Woodmen of America, and served as worthy council; Mrs. Ulrich attends the Metho-
dist Episcopal Church.

CHARLES TREULIEB.— The pioneer blacksmith of Cypress, Orange County,
Charles Treulieb is a public-spirited citizen, who has done his share to aid in the up-
building of his section of the county by giving his hearty support to all movements
for the public good and thereby has gained an enviable reputation among his fellows,
who appreciate his good qualities.

A native of Russia, he was born in Courland, Dondangen, February 28, 186S, the
son of Charles and Julia Treulieb, both natives of that country and the parents of four-
teen children, four of whom came to America, and two of these are living in Orange
County — Charles and his sister, Mrs. Margaret Yudis. His brother, Christ, lives in
Alameda, Cal.. and August is a resident of NeV York. Both parents died in their
native land after living useful lives among their neighbors.

Charles attended the public schools of his native town and when he was eighteen
he was apprenticed to a blacksmith for five years to learn that trade. After he had
mastered it he traveled in various parts of the old world and then came to America to
broaden his education and to master English by personal contact with the people, first
stopping for a few months in Rio Janeiro, where he worked for a short time. 'This was
in 189.3, and it was that same year that he landed in New York, going thence to the
West Indies; later he came back to America and stopped in Maine for a time. The
^^'est seemed to hold a fascination for him and he came to Arizona, where for some
years he worked at his trade in Jerome. He became an .A.merican citizen at Prescott
in 1903 and ever since has been among the most loyal of citizens of the country he
adopted as his home. In 1905 he arrived in Los Angeles, but very soon came to Los
Alamitos and was employed as a machinist at the sugar factory until 1905, when he
opened his present blacksmith shop at Cypress, where he has catered to the wants
of the locality ever since. He has seen this part of the county grow from an almost
unproductive section to one of diversified farming and a very rich and productive cen-
ter: in fact, as one of the pioneers here, he has aided every movement that meant ad-
vancing the interest of the people. Besides a well-equipped shop, where he does all
kinds of blacksmithing, he conducts an oil-filling station and sells motor supplies; in both
lines of activity he is meeting with well-deserved success. His obliging manner and
cheery disposition have made him many friends. He is a member of the Woodmen of
the World and politically is a broad-minded man who believes in living and letting live.

ROCH COURREGES. — A pioneer rancher who has become prosperous and influ-
ential, and who. while forging ahead to afifluence. has never failed to encourage any
movement worth the while for the development of Huntington Beach, and has thereby
been privileged to assist in establishing there most of its important industries and
institutions, is Roch Courreges. who owns a fine ranch of sixty acres on the Talbert-
Huntington Beach Road, a mile west of Talbert. He was born at Bruges, in the
Basses-Pyrenees. France, on November 3, 1850. His father was Joseph Courreges. a
well-to-do landowner at Bruges, who conducted a lumber business; he married Justine
Laroze, and they both lived and died in France. Roch first came to the United States
in 1867. coming via Panama and landed in San Francisco on February 12; he started
out into the world equipped with a good French grammar school education, and
acquired English after he settled in America. Indeed, he is fond of admitting that he
learned many a lesson in the language, of his adopted country while talking with his
children, or perusing their school books.

Mr. Courreges' first work in California was milking cows on dairy farms in San
Francisco and in Monterey County, after which, for a while, he went to the placer




<yLci^. /.Aj-t^cLUi^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1335

mines in Tuolumne County. Then he came back to San Francisco and worked in a tripe
factory. At the end of five years, he gave that up and for a year kept a boarding
house. He then became a partner in the tripe factory, but sold his interest in 1877. The
following year he came to Los Angeles County, and since then he has experienced a
great deal and has seen many changes.

The marriage of Mr. Courreges took place at Bolso Chica. in 1880. when he was
united with Mrs. Magdalena Smith, nee Mogart, a native of Lower California and a
member of an old Spanish family. Thirty-seven years later, on November 29, she died,
aged sixty-four years. By her first husband, she had had two children. Josephine Smith
and Walter Smith; while through her second marriage, she was the mother of, besides
three who died young, the following offspring: Joseph, who married Maria Ramariz, and
is a rancher, operating the place owned by Mr. Courreges, and residing there, in part-
nership with his younger brother John; Elizabeth, the wife of Peter Lacabanne, a
resident of Los Angeles; Philippine, the wife of Henry Lacabanne, the rancher of this
place; Justine, who gracefully presides over her father's home; and John, who was in
the field artillery service in France for three months. He was honorably discharged,
and he is now farming at home, as has been stated, in partnership with Joseph.

Mr. Courreges came to Eolsa Chica on December 15, 1878, as a sheep raiser, for
this was then a sheep country. This section at that time >\'as in Los Angeles County,
and there were no railroads, steam or electric. Six years before that, or in 1872, settlers
had made their inroads and had squatted here, or taken the land without authority, but
they were disturbed by the Stearns Ranch Company in 1880. In 1883, the Secretary of
the Interior rendered his decision, but the squatters retained possession until 1890. when
they were ousted for good. In April. 1883. Mr. Courreges established his sheep camp
on the spot where his house now stands; and when he first rented pasture land, he
leased from the Stearns Ranch Company, and when he came to the site of his present
farm in 1882, it was also as a tenant of the said Stearns Company.

At first, Mr. Courreges was a partner in the sheep business with Roch Sarrail, and
they herded sheep at Bolsa Chica. as well as at Bolsa Grande, two places named in
the terminology of the miner, "small pocket" and "large pocket." They kept high
grade merinos, and when they separated in 1882 they had 6.000 head. Mr. Courreges
took charge of the camp at Bolsa Grande, and continued in that line for twenty-one
years, and at one time he had 8.500 head of sheep.

It was in 1896 that Mr. Courreges bought some eighty acres, including his present
ranch, from the Stearns Companj', of which he later sold twenty acres to his son-in-
law, Henry Lacabanne; and in company with his oldest son he went into farming. At
first, he raised potatoes, corn, pumpkins, and alfalfa, and he kept a few cows; and for
many years he raised sugar beets in the rich bottom lands, which make up his farm
for the most part. He encouraged the establishing of the Holly Sugar Corporation,
but two years ago, he planted some lima beans, and in 1919 and 1920 he has had the
entire sixty acres planted to limas. His first house burned down five years ago; and
since then he has built a beautiful bungalow home on the mesa. He has a couple of
good wells and a tank house, furnishing and retaining a good supply of water; and
irrigation is carried on by his own pumping plant.

Mr. Courreges has ever been a public-spirited citizen, and he has helped in every
way to establish good roads. He worked for the state highway, and voted for county
road bonds. He donated the right-of-way through his land for county roads, giving
a deed therefor, and has paved the county road past his home. He also worked
hard for the cannery at Huntington Beach, but it failed, and he lost $7,000 as the
result. He invested $15,000 in twenty-nine lots at Huntington Beach, and he still owns
the same. He helped to established the Linoleum Company at Huntington Beach, and
also to bring about the "Tent City." He was one of the founders of the First National
Bank of Huntington Beach, and owns fifty shares of its stock; and was a director from
its organization and has been the vice-president of the bank for the past five years.
He also interested himself in the coming here, north of Huntington Beach, of the
peat-fuel company, and in encouraging in every way the operations of the Southern
Pacific, the Santa Fe and the Pacific Electric railways.

HENRY LACABANNE. — A hard-working and progressive farmer, whose attrac-
tive and equally industrious wife shares with him the good will and esteem of a large
circle of friends, is Henry Lacabanne, the son-in-law of Roch Courreges, the pioneer.
He was born in Estialcsq. France, on October 9, 1873, the son of Pierre Lacabanne, a
farmer, who had married Catherine Lagrave. They were owners of valuable land, and
lived and died in their native country. They had six children, all sons, among whom
Henry was the fourth in the order of birth. Two of the boys, besides Henry, came out
to California; Jean is a rancher at Huntington Beach, and Pierre is employed by the
Houser Packing Company at Los Angeles. Three sons are in France; the youngest,



1336 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

Auguste Lacabanne, served throughout the late war, or until he was taken prisoner, in
July, 1918, but is still alive and in France.

Henry attended the excellent French grammar schools, and later worked on his
father's farm. In 1892 he resolved to come to America, and in the latter part of May
landed in New York City. On June 6, he reached the capital of California's Southland,
Los Angeles. For a while he worked at hay-baling, and then he went to Ventura
County, and in October began a five years' engagement as a sheep herder. After that
he bought a band of sheep and with his older brother, Jean, as partner, came to San
Joaquin ranch in Orange County. He prospered, and remained there until his marriage.

This interesting event occurred in 1905, when he married the second daughter and
third child, Philippine Courreges, of the well-known pioneer. Once established as the
head of a family, he bought ten acres at Katella, which he planted as a walnut orchard.
At the proper time for a good deal, he sold this and came to the other locality in
Orange County, where he now resides. In 1910, he bought the twenty acres he manages
as a home farm, purchasing from his father-in-law, and by hard work converted it
from the bare land, and has brought it up to a high state of cultivation, built a modest
but very comfortable home, and has paid for all the improvements, including a large
barn, a good well, and a first class pumping plant.

In 1910, also, Mr. Lacabanne took out his last papers, and now as an American
citizen, and a patriotic Republican, he seeks to do his civic duty in every respect. He
lives on the Talbert Road, a finely-paved county thoroughfare, and in his well-kept
ranch has something to display as the evidence of a life of intelligent industry.

HERMAN F. RUTSCHOW. — Born in Ganschendorf, Pomerania, Germany, on
September 5, 1868, Herman F. Rutschow was reared there until in his fourteenth year.
On April 5, 1882, he emigrated with his parents, Carl and Wilhelmina Rutschow, to the
United States and located at Alma, Bufifalo County, Wis. Here Carl Rutschow engaged
in railroading for a time until he entered the employ of the brewery in Alma, where
he became brewmaster. In 1898 he removed to Seattle, Wash., and was brewmaster
for Heinrich Bros. Brewery until he was retired on a pension; he died in Seattle in
1917, while his wife had preceded him, dying in 1904. Of their seven living children
Herman F. is the second oldest and received a good education in the schools of his old
home town and was confirmed just before he left for Wisconsin, where he continued
his education.

When eighteen, Mr. Rutschow began to learn the brewer's trade and on com-
pleting it in 1892 he migrated to Washington where he was foreman of the bottling
department for the Bay View Brewing Company at Pt. Townsend; thence to Vancouver,
B. C, where he filled the same position in the Red Cross Brewery for one year, then
he returned to Seattle and was employed in the Rainier Brewery owned by Heinrich
Bros, (one of them, Alvin Heinrich, was Mr. Rutschow's brother-in-law). He continued
with them as a brewer for many years and during this time took a course in Wilson's
Business College in Seattle. After many years in the above responsible position he
resigned and engaged in business on his own account in Seattle for five years. He
built a brewery in Aberdeen, which he called Gray's Harbor Brewery and Malting
Company and later sold it to Alvin Heinrich and then purchased another brewery, which
he managed for eighteen months, then sold It at a good profit. Next he took a trip
to Calgary, Canada, where he took up a farm of 320 acres of land, but the promised
government loan failed to materialize so he gave it up six months later and returned to
Seattle and became foreman of the bottling department for the Aberdeen Brewing Com-
pany, a position he filled very ably for a period of seven years when the state of
Washington went dry. He then ran a stage between Montesano and Aberdeen for
eighteen months, then was employed in the shipyards at Aberdeen for six months.
After this he came to San Francisco, Cal., where he was employed three months with
Chas. Bach and Company.

In 1917 he came to Anaheim as brewer for the Anaheim Brewing Company and
one year later was made brewmaster, a position he filled till September, 1919, when he
resigned to take the agency of the E. & A. Extract manufactured by the North Coast
Products Company of Aberdeen, Wash., and is representing them in the ten counties
of Southern California, having established local agencies in most of the towns, his
headquarters being at 118 North Thalia Street, Anaheim.

Mr. Rutschow was married in Seattle when he was united with Miss Margaret
Antonia Koch, who was born in Zittau, Saxony, Germany, and they have one child,
Frederick, who is now learning the automobile machinist's trade in a city near Zittau,
Germany. Mr. Rutschow is enterprising and progressive and is always willing to do
his share toward aiding enterprises that have for their aim the building up of the
community in which he lives.



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1339

JOSHUA O. PYLE. — Ability and industry, combined with a good practical head
for business, are among the qualities that have brought success in life to J. O. Pyle,
rancher near Snieltzer, and an able machinist as well as an agriculturist.

Mr. Pyle, a young man of striking personality, was born in Washington County,
Pa., December S, 1880. His parents, William Wesley, and Laura (Scott) Pyle, pioneer
farmers of that section of country, were natives of Pennsylvania and Iowa, respectively.
The father died in 1905 and the mother in 1910. Mr. Pyle's uncle, Joshua J. Pyle, is
a well-to-do pioneer rancher of the Westminster precinct of Orange County, and the
youngest and only surviving member of a family of three brothers and three sisters.

Joshua O. Pyle comes of an historic and long-lived family. His paternal great-
great-grandfather on the maternal side, William Lyons, attained the advanced age of
ninety. His great-grandfather, and great-grandmother, who was a cousin of General
Robert E. Lee of Civil War fame, each lived to be eighty-four years old. His grand-
father, William Pyle, who in early life followed the occupation of a carpenter and later
the occupation of tilling the soil in western Pennsylvania, lived to be seventy-seven
years old, and was a member of the Home Guard and captain of the Black Horse
Cavalry Company.

Joshua O. first started in life as a machinist. He was fireman on the Pennsyl-
vania Railroad for two and a half years, and afterwards a locomotive engineer for one
year. In 1906, at the age of twenty-si.x, he went to Alberta, Canada, and engaged in
running a steam plow and threshing outfit. Three years later, in 1909, he came to
California, and worked for a time for the old California sugar factory, finally settling
at Smeltzer. He holds a lease on eighty acres of land owned by the Anaheim Sugar
Company, the forty acres on which he lives, and another forty acres north of Smeltzer.
Twenty-five acres of the land is planted to sugar beets, and he will plant the remainder
largely to lima beans. He planted sixteen acres of land to oranges in the Garden Grove
district, which he disposed of to good advantage.

In 1910 Mr. Pyle was united in marriage with Miss Minnie Keseman. a native
daughter of San Bernardino County, Cal. , Politically Mr. Pyle casts his vote with the
Republican party. Fraternally he is a. member of the Huntington Beach Lodge No. 380,
F. & A. M., of which he is past master; belongs to Santa .Ana Chapter No. 12>, R. A. M.,
Santa .'\na Council No. 14, R. & S. M., and to Santa .Ana Commandery No. 36, Knight
Templars and Al Malaikah Temple, A. .A. O. N. M. S., of Los Angeles, and is held in
high esteem by his brother Masons. He and his wife are members of the Order of
Eastern Star, of which she is past matron and he is past patron. Generous and hos-
pitable, Mr. and Mrs. Pjde are justly popular among their friends and neighbors.

ARTHUR A. SCHNITGER.— A thoroughly practical agriculturist who has been
able to transform rough grain fields into beautiful gardens and orchards, and to create
one of the finest ranches in his neighborhood, is Arthur A. Schnitger, proprietor of



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 148 of 191)