Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 150 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 150 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


several months he pursued graduate work in the University of Southern California.
On July 1 of the same year, he entered upon his present position.

While in western New York, Mr. Jones was married to Miss Mabel Cheney, a
native of Bradford, Pa., although at the time of her marriage, a resident of Delevan.
N. Y. She is a graduate of Ithaca, N. Y.. high school, one of the best of New York's
secondary institutions, and has thus been able to enter intensively into the work of
her husband.

JAMES E. BROWN. — Among the well-known residents of the Bolso voting
precinct. Orange County, is James E. Brown, a representative of that very important
class of American farmers who have won success through industry, frugality and self-
denial. Beginning life handicapped by many disadvantages he has made a success and
his sterling traits of character have won recognition among his associates in the
twenty-four years of his residence in Orange County.

Mr. Brown is a native of Virginia, born near Middletown, Warren County,
February 22, 1869. His father, James E., for whom he was named, served as a soldier
in the Confederate army, and died when his son James was but a year old. The
widowed mother moved with her three children to Lincoln County, Mo., where she
married William Swiger, a farmer. James grew up on the home farm in Lincoln
County, and his educational advantages were limited to the short time in winter when
it was too cold to work. At the age of seventeen he began to work out on the neigh-
boring farms by the month, and afterwards went to Pike County, 111., where he was
married, August 2, 1891, to Miss Mary C. Helm, a native of that county, whose father,
William Helm, was a native of England, and whose mother, Elizabeth (Reeder) Helm,
was born in Scott County, 111. Her father was a carpenter, who followed farming after
his marriage, and she is the second child in a family of three daughters and one son.
Her mother died when she was six, and when sixteen death claimed her father.

Mr. Brown rented land for four years in Pike County, 111., and farmed until he
came to California in 1896 and purchased the home place of ten acres. Mr. and Mrs.
Brown have three living children: Eliabeth J. graduated from the Santa Ana high school
in 1917; she is a stenographer and a very capable employe of the First National Bank
at Garden Grove; Virgil E. is a graduate of the Santa Ana high school, class of 1914,
and also graduated from the agricultural department of the University of California at
Davis in 1917; Harriet M. graduated from the Santa Ana high school with the class of
1917, and is now a senior in the University of Southern California. She also graduated
from the Junior College at Santa Ana in 1919; Virgil enlisted in the Twenty-first Com-
pany of the National Guard of the Coast Artillery, July 23, 1917, trained at Fort Mc-
Arthur, was transferred to the Fifty-fifth Ammunition Train, Company C, and sailed
from New York. September 8, 1918. landing at Brest, France, September 21 of that
year. He was at Clufi^es, France, when the armistice was signed, and remained in
France until February, 1919. being honorably discharged at Camp Kearny, San Diego.
March 17, 1919. Virgil and his father jointly own thirty-four acres adjoining the forty
acres owned by Mr. Brown, which they purchased January. 1920. The father takes ten
acres of this property and the son retains the other twenty-four. They leveled the
property and planted ten acres of it to Valencia oranges in 1920, and expect to plant the
remainder of it to Valencias. Mr. Brown grows beans, peppers and sugar beets.



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1351

Although Mr. Brown through unfortunate circumstances was denied the advan-
tages of a good education in his boyhood days, he is a stanch champion for good
public schools, and is now serving his fourth three-year term as clerk of the Garden
Grove grammar school, one of the best schools of its kind in Southern California.
While carefully conserving the public funds he is liberal and generous, and the school
children of this favored district reap the advantages thus aflforded. He is an honest,
upright, straightforward, common sense man, frank and honorable in every deal, and
his life will ever remain an encouragement to all who are compelled to start life under
the handicap of limited means and lack of opportunity. He has been ably assisted in
his battle through life by his true and loyal wife, a woman of splendid good sense and
strong character, and a dutiful and loving wife and mother. Mr. Brown's daughters
are members of the Garden Grove Methodist Church, and in his fraternal affiliations
Mr. Brown is a member of the Modern \\'oodmen of America.

E. C. MILES. — Cooperation having come to be recognized, more and more, as
one of the most indispensable requisites of success in modern industry, it is not sur-
prising to find in Fullerton, which has already set the high water mark in various
fields of endeavor, an organization of such merit as the Fullerton Mutual Orange
Association, whose efficient secretary and manager is E. C. Miles. Not less than thirtj'-
five people are employed to carry on a work directed for the past seven years by him.
Mr. Miles was born in Keokuk County, Iowa, on January 13. 1867, the son of Daniel
Miles, a farmer well known in low'a for the common sense and thorough methods he
employed in tilling the soil and harvesting. He was a native of Ohio, and married
Miss Deliah Fear, who was born in Iowa. When the Civil War threatened to divide
these United States, Mr. Miles enlisted for the cause of the Union, and for three years
served with the Thirty-third Iowa Regiment. Both parents are now dead.

The oldest -of eleven children, E. C. Miles was educated at a rural school and
later attended a business college at Trinidad, Colo., which gave him a valuable drill in
the methods of commerce and industry. He had -remained at home with his father
until he was twenty-one years of age, and then located at Trinidad. Colo., where he
was in tlie wholesale grocery business for seven years. In Denver, the dry goods
business attracted him for three years, and then, at the beginning of this century, he
caiTie to California.

Settling for a while at Monrovia, Mr. Miles went into the packing business: and
later he was engaged in contracting and building for ten years. In 1911 he removed
to Fullerton, and bought an orange grove; and soon after he assumed his present
position with the Fullerton Mutual Orange Association. \'ery naturally, Mr. Miles
is a member and greatly interested in the Fullerton Board of Trade. Mr. Miles is
also interested in developing a ranch in Tulare County, devoted to vineyard, as well
as a lumber, hardware and building material business at Venice Hill, Tulare County.

The marriage of Mr. Miles and Miss Alice Richardson occurred at Trinidad, Colo.,
on June 14, 1892, and this union has been blessed with the birth of two children:
C. Neal is a rancher in Tulare County; and Bessie is the wife of Foster E. Chambers of
Orange. Mrs. Miles was born in Illinois. Neal Miles has proven, as a soldier who
went to the denfense of his country, a son such as any parent might be proud of. He
enlisted in the United States Coast Artillery, and was made a sergeant of the first
class. A Republican always desirous of doing his full civic duty, Mr. Miles is a Mason,
a Modern Woodman, a member of the Woodmen of the World and a Yeoman. He is a
director of the Farmers and Merchants Bank of Fullerton, and is a member and
financial supporter of the First Baptist Church of that place. Fond of hunting and
fishing, he rejoices with thousands of others that California affords such sport in both
of these fields.

J. M. WOODWORTH.— Orange County will never forget the important and
necessary part played by the far-sighted, experienced and conservative bankers in her
agricultural, commercial, philanthropic and even social development through which she
has come to take a front place of honor and influence in the Californian conclave and
prominent among the agencies which have made for the greatest progress in the South-
land must be mentioned the First National Bank of Garden Grove, now one of the
healthiest ten-year-olds in the state. Its success is undoubtedly due. in part, to the
conviction of the wide-awake people in the community it tries to serve that it possesses
every banking facility and meets every local requirement: while, on the other hand, its
increased working capital, together with recent physical changes in the bank's interior,
adding to the convenience and general satisfaction of the patrons, has widened its
territory, added rapidly by new acquisitions to the number of its depositors, and enabled
it to do business on a broader and more lilieral, if at the same time thoroughlv con-
servative basis. Much of these innovations and improvements and this additional



1352 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

growth is due to the personal attention to every detail, and the hard, conscientious
work by J. M. Woodworth, the Iowa banker who settled here in 1918 and purchased a
controlling interest, through which he was made president and came to assume the
active management.

For twenty-five years or more Mr. Woodworth was interested in three or four
banks in Iowa, and came from the well-known town of Grinnell thoroughly familiar
with the conditions of investment he was to deal with here. He associated with him
as officers Vice-President C. B. Scott, Jr., and Cashier F. A. Monroe, and made up a
board of directors composed of himself, Mr. Scott, H. C. Head and W. S. Fawcett. The
latter, now a large rancher in the Imperial Valley, was a boyhood friend of Mr. Wood-
worth, and, as a frequent caller at Garden Grove, keeps in intimate touch with the
progress of local affairs and the management of the bank, although he also discharges
the responsibility of a director of the First National Bank of El Centro as well as
the Southern Trust Company of San Diego. It is no wonder that the First National
Bank enjoys the entire confidence of the people of this section, for it has become a
member of the great Federal Reserve System, and as such is sure to provide the best
of banking conditions through good times and bad.

It was really early in 1909 that a few men — those men of both vision and faith
who work miracles, expand communities and develop commonwealths — seeing the neces-
sity for a financial institution, especially when Garden Grove was mostly a postoffice
among merely barley patches, but patches and fields of the greatest promise, estab-
lished the Bank of Garden Grove. That fall it was opened for business under a state
charter, and, as the policy of the institution from the beginning was to work for the
best interests of the district, the bank grew rapidly and strongly with the community
and the town. In September, 1918, it was converted into "The First National Bank of
Garden Grove," and since that date its growth has been especially gratifying. Indeed,
at the last call from the Comptroller for a statement of its actual condition, it showed
a working capital of $50,000, and total resources of over one-half million dollars. It
has assisted Garden Grove to rise from a grain field of uncertain quantity to productive
acres bringing cash returns of $1,000 each in a short space of ten years. There were
actually shipped from Garden Grove station over 700 carloads, valued at over two
millions of dollars, miscellaneous products grown in the immediate vicinity of Garden
Grove for the year 1919, and Garden Grove, properly appreciative, has assisted to give
the bank, by its generous, good-willed patronage, all the stability that could be desired.
Thus not only have soil, water and climate lavished blessings to all who would partake,
but the courage, ambition and knowledge of the settlers have been liberally rewarded,
and all have gained immensely who had faith and vision to invest and work out results.

With a general bank equipment the equal of any country bank in the county, and
a management and expert force ready and anxious to serve customers within and from
without the community, the bank has a fireproof vault in which can be stored at small
cost valuable papers and records, and a complete set of maps showing all platted lands
and ownership in the community, which maps are always at the service of the public.

PAUL BENJAMIN ROY.— A dependable citizen of Garden Grove, a locality
chosen by him for residence and work as the most attractive he ever found anywhere
in his wide travels, is Paul Benjamin Roy, who has attained to his present position of
affluence and influence after an interesting development in varied lines of endeavor.
He was born in the city of Montreal, Canada, on July 4, 1866, the son of Benjamin Roy,
a French-Canadian who was also a native of Montreal and became a steamboat man
on the Great Lakes and the St. Lawrence, where he piloted the important steamers of
the mail line, and made railway time between Montreal and Hamilton. He was so
expert that he could pilot the rapids of the Thousand Isles, the Long Sioux Rapids,
the Cascades, the Shoat a Balom Rapids, as well as the rapids beneath the Victoria
Bridge. He was married in Montreal to Miss Annie Sweeney, a native of England
whose father and brother were marine engineers under the British government, and
who grew up in Montreal. Eleven children were born to them, and three are now
living. Sarah is the wife of John Olszewski, a hotel chef who resides in Los Angeles;
Paul Benjamin is the subject of our review; and .A.deline is the wife of William Roy —
no relative of P. B. Roy — and lives at Montreal, where her husband is boss in a cotton
mill. Benjamin Roy, at the age of thirty-seven, was one of twenty-two persons lost
on Lake Ontario in November, 1875, when, at ten o'clock at night, his steamer caught
fire, and crew and passengers were drowned. Mrs. Roy, the mother, lived with her
children, Paul and Sarah, until she died in California at the age of seventy.

When thirteen years old, Paul Benjamin entered the service of the same line by
which his father had been employed, when he was pilot for the Spartan and the Cor-
inthian, working for two years as a mess-room boy. When he left the Richelieu line.
he went on the propeller boat Prussia as head porter, and for several seasons remained



HISTORY OF ORAXGE COUNTY 1353

with this merchant line which carried passengers between Montreal and Chicago. The
second year he was transferred to the St. Catherine and was on that ill-fated vessel
when, at three o'clock in the morning, it was struck amidships and sunk by an Amei-ican
vessel. The passengers and all hands save a fireman escaped, but the vessel went
down within thirty minutes.

For eight years Mr. Roy followed steamboating. next going on a freight boat
of the Ward line running out of Detroit, and between Duluth and Buffalo, on which
line he remained for two seasons, acting as lookout man or second mate. The next
season he followed Captain Will Compo on the Northwest, a vessel of the Great
Northern Steamship Company and at that time the finest fresh water boat, plying
between Duluth and Buffalo. In the meantime, too, he had ventured into the barber's
business, and for a couple of years ran a barber shop in West Superior, Wis., so that
when he came to California nearly a quarter of a century ago, he was so well equipped
with experience that he soon became the leading tonsorial proprietor of Los Angeles.
He owned the Metropolitan Barber Shop at 219 West Third Street, which had a full
equipment for Turkish and other baths, then the largest and finest barber shop in the
world. During his long and eventful career in steamboating, Mr. Roy met many famous
men and women, .\mong them was the Prince of Wales, later King Edward of Eng-
land, and he shook hands with the Princess of Wales, and chatted with her for several
minutes.

Mr. Roy has owned and improved several ranches, among them one of 200 acres
devoted to apples and alfalfa in Victorville, and from there he went to Perris, River-
side County, and engaged in raising alfalfa, purchasing a ranch of eighty acres. For a
while he lived in San Diego County, where he was proprietor of the Kilkenny Hotel, at
the same time that he developed a lemon grove of twenty acres four miles east of San
Diego. When he sold his alfalfa ranch at Perris in 1919, he removed to Garden Grove,
where he owns a ranch of twenty acres, largely a Valencia orange grove. Eighteen
years ago he bought 100 acres of raw land at Anaheim, but disposed of it later at an
advanced price. He set out walnut trees, and the grove is now known as the Cleveland
ranch. He also built up and replanted the Big Four ranch at North Rialto in San
Bernardino County, and this is still known as the "Roy" ranch.

When Mr. Roy married, in 1888. he took for his bride Miss Amelia Provost, a
native of St. Paul, Minn., who is as enthusiastic concerning Garden Grove as he is
himself. One daughter blessed their union, and she is now Mrs. W. L. Christian of
Los Angeles. Mr. Roy is a naturalized American, and an active Republican. Mr. and
Mrs. Roy have been extensive travelers, having been through Europe, Japan, Australia
and Philippines.

Mr. Roy is a good deal of a sport, and has something to show for it. While a
boatman, he became an expert swimmer and came to boast of the world's championship
medal for long distance swimming. Through this prowess he really first came to
California; for he intended to swim from Catalina to the mainland — a feat he never
undertook, after all. He also drove the first automobile — a steam car which he himself
owned — seen in the streets of Santa Ana, and made early record trips from San Diego
to Los Angeles, and from Los Angeles to Santa Barbara. In the first case, on country
roads he covered the ground in six hours and six minutes; while on the run to Santa
Barbara he motored about four hours. He has put from $50,000 to $60,000 into his
present estate at Garden Grove, and still plans other improvements. He is a member
of numerous fraternal orders and clubs.

AMOS. B. EVERETT.— Numbered among the respected citizens of Buaro pre-
cinct is .Amos B. Everett, a man who despite the hardships and tragedies encountered
in his earlier life has maintained his poise, and now enjoys a tranquil life on a walnut
grove in Buaro precinct. Eight acres of the twenty he owns is planted to twelve-year-
old walnut trees, two acres' to two-year-old budded walnut trees, eight acres to budded
trees, and he has two acres for a faniily garden.

Mr. Everett was born in Trumbull County, Ohio, June 23, 1852, a son of Benjamin
and Catherine (Lowery) Everett, natives of New York. State and Ohio, respectively.
The father was a farmer and went to Illinois when Amos B. was only two years old,
settling at Knoxville, Knox County, where Amos was reared on his father's farm and
assisted him with the farm work while two of his brothers served in the Union army
during the Civil War. He began working on the farm when very young, drove a team
and plowed when nine years old and had to stand on a box in order to harness the
horses. When he was twenty-one years old he began to work for wages, and migrated
from Illinois to Kansas, settling near Hutchinson where he took a tree claim and
proved up on it, and lived in Kansas twenty-five years. From Kansas he went to
Nebraska, where he was married to Emma Pearson, and there in Cherry County was
in the stock Inisiness five years, when a disastrous prairie fire overtook his wife when



1354 HISTORY OF ORAXGE COUXTY

she was out driving, and she lost her life. By a strange coincidence this was the only
time she had ever left her little daughter at home alone. The child, Stella May, is now
the wife of Fay Brown, a farmer of Partridge, Kans., and they are the parents of a
daughter named Edith. The same prairie fire also destroyed about 100 head of cattle be-
longing to Mr. Everett. Alone and discouraged he decided to change his environment
and went to Kansas, from whence he came to California in 1903. Three years before
coming to California Mr. Everett was married a second time, his wife, who was Miss
Flora Davis before her marriage, is a native of Ohio and was reared in Kansas, They
are the parents of six children: Lester and Elmer work at Santa Ana; William, Ada,
Olathe and Grace are at home.

Mr. Everett is recognized by all as a man of strict integrity, and his kindly and
considerate nature has won for him many warm friends during the seventeen years of
his residence in the Garden Grove district. In his political views he is a Republican.

DR. JOHN I. CLARK. — From the time of the founding of our great republic, and
indeed long before in the traditions of the Anglo-Saxon people, the status of the physi-
cian has been an enviable one in the representative community, village, town or city, on
which account the part played in the municipality of Santa Ana by such a progressive
humanitarian and scientist as Dr. John L Clark, the physician and surgeon, is all the
more interesting. He was born at Craig, Xebr., on February 4, 1875, the son of
William A. Clark, a farmer and stockman who married Miss Mary E. Kennedy, and
when the time came that the North and the South faced each other in the awful Civil
War, he served his country faithfully in the Federal Army. They were the parents of
five children — three boys and two girls — among whom our subject was second in the
order of birth. Both parents are now dead. Having attended the grammar schools
at Craig, while he grew up on his father's farm, and been graduated from the high
school there, John Clark matriculated at the Rush Medical College in Chicago, and
graduated from that famous institution with the class of 1897. with degree of M.D.
Then he became an interne at the Presbyterian Hospital in Chicago, where he began
to acquire his first valuable practical experience.

Once equipped to follow his professional work. Dr. Clark practiced for a year
at Craig, Nebr., and then continued his practice for four years at Idaho Springs, Colo.
His fortunate geographical location brought him soon into contact with many from
distant as well as near by points, and so his reputation rapidly developed. On coming
to Santa Ana in May, 1904, Dr, Clark established himself with ease: and it was not long
before he was a director in the Santa Ana Hospital. More and more, he enjoyed the
entire confidence of his fellow-citizens: and for twelve years he was city health officer.
In national politics a Republican, he has never failed to participate without partisanship
in all civic discussions and endeavors for the public good.

At Craig, Nebr., on April 6, 1898, Dr. Clark was married to Miss MoUie D. Clark,
an estimable lady of no relationship, the daughter of Dr. Samuel W. Clark of Iowa;
and since then Mrs. Clark has participated in the deep interest of her husband in the
development of the community in which they have lived, and in his outdoor life with
.golf and fishing. He belongs to the Masonic order being a Knight Templar and
Shriner, his membership in the latter being in Al Malaikah Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S.,
Los Angeles. He is also a member of Santa Ana Lodge of Elks and of the Orange
County Country Club.

As might be expected of one so favorably known as a highly-trained practitioner.
Dr. Clark is a member of the American Medical Association, the State, Southern Cali-
fornia and the County Medical societies; and his activity in these organizations con-
stantly helps to maintain Orange County in pleasant association with the outside
scientific world.

ANDREW MEYER. — The excellent cultivation, tillage and good management
expended in the care of the property operated by Andrew Meyer, lying two miles
northwest of Orange, bespeaks the thrift and good judgment of the owner. Mr. Meyer
has four acres in Valencia oranges and six acres of walnuts, and takes a just pride in
the neat appearance of his acreage. He was born in Clinton County, 111., August 24,
1880, and when five years old, in 1885, accompanied his parents, August and Fredericka
(PfeifTer) Meyer to Neosho County, Kans., where the father becaine the owner of a
160-acre farm. The parents and their seven children are living, and Andrew is the
youngest son and fifth child in order of birth in the parental family. He early became
accustomed to ranch work, plowing when only ten years of age, and grew to young
manhood on the home farm, assisting in the various duties that pertain to life on a
farm. He was educated in the common schools of his home district, and in 1906 went
to Idaho and Washington, returning after eight months to his Kansas home. The next



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 150 of 191)