Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 151 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 151 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


^•ear he removed to northwestern Kansas where he remained three and a half years.



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1357

He was associated with his brother George in this venture, and they purchased 320
acres of land, which they afterward traded for 480 acres. From 1906 to 1912 they
ran from eighty to one hundred head uf cattle and about the same number of swine
on their property.

In 1913 Mr. Meyer went to Wichita Falls. Te.xas, where he worked at the carpen-
ter's trade for one year. He then tried his fortune in central Kansas, continuing the
same occupation, and afterwards went to northwestern Kansas and engaged in the real
estate business for one and a half years. Then California's charms appealed to him and
he decided to cast his lot in that state. He came to the Pacific Coast in 1915, and in
November of that year established domestic ties by his marriage with Mrs. Emma
Struck, born in Pennsylvania, daughter of Herman Heim of Orange and widow of the
late Max Struck, who was well and favorably known to the community. As a child
Mrs. Struck came to Kansas with her parents, and later the family removed to Orange,
Cal. She is the sister of Albert and Carl O. Heim, whose sketches appear elsewhere
in this work. At the age of twenty-two she married Max Struck, whose death occurred
in 1908 as the result of an accident. Mr. Struck owned the ten acres that Mr. Meyer
now operates and which continues to be their home. Mrs. Meyer is noted for her
housewifely qualities and fortunate indeed is the passing stranger or the friend who
is invited to share the hospitality of the genial host and hostess in their model and
excellent home. Mr. Meyer enjoys to an exceptional degree the esteem and confidence
of his associates, and he and his wife are members of the Lutheran Church at Orange,
and have many warm friends.

JOSEPH BRICKE. — The spirit that prompted our forefathers to leave their native
land to carve out their fortunes in a new world has its counterpart in this generation
in many who, animated by a desire to avail themselves of broader opportunities, have
left the older civilization to seek the newer fields of untried possibilities. That this
spirit, coupled with industry and perseverance, will almost invariably succeed is mani-
fested in the life of Joseph Bricke, the citrus grower of Orange, who is the owner of
two prosperous ranches.

Born in Bavaria, Germany, June 10, 1872, Joseph Bricke is the son of Joseph and
Mary (Knoth) Bricke, the father being engaged in the undertaking business and having
agricultural interests as well. Joseph remained at home until he was twenty-one years
of age, when he left the old home for America, landing at Philadelphia on August 27.
1893. He soon located in the vicinity of- Buffalo, N. Y., remaining there for thirteen
years, engaged in farming.

In 1905, Mr. Bricke decided to seek his fortune in the milder climate of California
and that this decision was a wise one is evidenced by the splendid success he has made
as a rancher. For a time after arriving in Orange County Mr. Bricke worked out on
the farms of others, gaining experience in the agricultural modes of this part of the
country and accumulating capital to embark in the ranching business for himself. He
is now the owner of two ten-acre citrus ranches, which he has planted and developed
himself, and which he has brought up to a high state of productivity, so that both
ranches now bring him a handsome income. His home ranch is situated two and a
half miles northeast of Orange and here he has resided since 1908. His other place
is located on Seventeenth Street. Santa .\na, and his time is busily occupied in looking
after these properties.

Mr. Bricke was married January 5, 1911. to Miss Ethel House, who was born in
Arizona, and they are the parents of one son, Donald Earl, born July 31, 1914. Mrs.
Bricke is descended from two generations of California pioneers, both her father and
grandfather having been among the early settlers of the state. Her parents are Edmond
Shirley and Alice Henrietta (Grimes) House, who are both still living, the father at the
age of eighty-one years, and since October, 1919, they have resided with their son.
Edmond H. House, on a part of the Irvine ranch at the head of Peters Canyon, in
Silverado precinct.

Edmond Shirley House was born in Stoddard County. .Mo., in 1840, his parents
being Henry and Kitty House. He was the youngest of a family of four girls and three
boys and when a lad of ten he accompanied his parents to Texas, where he received
his early education in the district schools there. He remained there until he was nine-
teen years old, when he made the overland journey to California, arriving at El Monte
in the fall of 1859. The next spring he went to Salinas and went to stock raising
there, very little grain farming being carried on at that time. The next twenty years
he spent in stock raising, in which he made good success, meanwhile acquiring the
Spanish language, which he found a decided asset in his transactions with the native
settlers. In 1880 Mr. House removed to San Benito County, where he took up two
government claims, raising stock on this land. .-Kfter two years he went to San Luis
Obispo County and bought forty acres which he devoted tn dry farming. This did



1358 HISTORY OF ORAXGE COUNTY

not prove entirely successful, however, so he came to Orange County in 1884. bought
forty acres of peat land near Westminster and continued his agricultural operations.
He was always a very successful farmer, and notwithstanding the low prices of farm
products in those days he was able to amass considerable means.

In 1889 he moved to Arizona, spending one season there, and it was during this
time that Mrs. Bricke was born. Later he went to Honolulu, and with his family spent
two years in the Hawaiian Islands, and on his return to the United States settled at
Redlands, where he resided until the fall of 1919. when he went to live with his son on
the Irvine ranch.

Mr. House was united in marriage with Miss Alice Henrietta Grimes in 1869 at
Salinas, Cal., her parents being California pioneers. Of their six children, four are
living: Margaret is the wife of Charles Wheaton, a rancher at Redlands; Edmond H.
married Bessie \\'hisler and resides on the Irvine ranch; Ethel is the wife of Joseph
Bricke. of this review; John Earl is a ranch foreman at El Toro. An interesting talker,
Mr. House has indeed lived a useful and successful life, full of varied experiences, and
he and his good wife, after fifty-one years of companionship, are still in the enjoyment
of good health and the devoted friendship of a large circle of friends.

JOHN P. HOEPTNER.— A splendid example of what the larger, freer oppor-
tunities of America may afiford is furnished by the now well-to-do family of John P.
Hoeptner, who rose from the laboring classes of Prussia, came to the United States,
and was able, through hard work and frugality, to establish a home and bring up a
large family in the most intelligent and loyal manner. He was born in Prussia on
May 12. 1865. and when twenty-seven was married to Miss Ida Minach. Three years
after their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Hoeptner came from Germany to California with
their two children, and at once located in Los Angeles County, and there he lost no
time in buying land and establishing a more permanent home. He purchased twenty
acres of the Dominguez Ranch near Long Beach, in that county, and this was the
place where the worthy couple reared their children, and where they still maintain
their home. He has a fine, up-to-date residence, which he himself ordered built.

In 1915. Mr. Hoeptner bought another ranch of forty acres at Talbert, in Orange
County, which he still owns and operates, and which was known as the John McDowell
ranch. He raises beets and beans,, and has had very good crops. He is far-seeing
in his operations, untiring in his attention to the work of the hour, and so carries out
a program almost sure of success.

Eight children have blessed the union of Mr. and Mrs. Hoeptner, bringing out
the best traits of the parents, and evidencing the best of devotion from sons and daugh-
ters. Bertha is in the government service as a trained nurse at the March Field Aviation
Camp at Riverside; Max, a rancher, farms eighty-five acres of rented land at Talbert,
and lives on the forty-acre ranch of his father; Herbert served in the California National
Guard and served on the Mexican Border, receiving a medal for bravery. When
America entered the World War he enlisted, and served until the armistice, when he
was honorably discharged with the rank of lieutenant. He married Miss Clara Ball
of National City, and is now with the Santa Fe Railroad at Santa Barbara. Hazel,
who graduated Irom the McKay Business College at Los Angeles, is a stenographer in
that city; Irene had the same training and is also similarly employed. Frederick is
another graduate from this excellent institution, and is a bookkeeper for the McCor-
mick Lumber Company at San Pedro; Lincoln is at home with his father, and Louise
is in the Compton High School.

A Republican in national politics. Mr. Hoeptner and his family are preeminently
Americans, and not only aided in the Red Cross work to the extent of their ability, but
also bought Liberty Bonds to their full capacity.

JEROME T. LAMB. — One of the most prosperous and successful walnut growers
of Orange County but now living retired at Huntington Beach. Jerome T. Lamb is
related to two distinguished American families, the Grant and Fillmore families. Mr.
Lamb is a native of \\'isconsin, born at Waukesha, December 17, 1854, a son of James
and Mary J. (Fillmore) Lamb, both natives of the state of New York. The father of
Mrs. Lamb. Daniel Fillmore, was a cousin of President Millard Fillmore, while her
mother was Thankful Ann Grant, a cousin of President U. S. Grant.

W^hen James Lamb was a lad of fourteen years, he ran away from home and
became a sailor on a whaling vessel, following the adventurous life of a sailor for
eleven years, afterward returning to Wisconsin where he married and engaged in farm-
ing. During the year 1848. he made the trip around Cape Horn, and up to California,
returning to Wisconsin in 1852. In 1857. with his family, he joined an overland train,
consisting of eighty covered wagons, bound for Oregon. The emigrant train started on
its long and perilous journey the year of the Mountain Meadow massacre and in




/f3




't^^^^S<r-^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1361

crossing the Indian-infested plains they were also attacked and lost all their cows
and oxen. The party reached Utah through Echo Canyon, and Mr. Lamb was obliged
to remain in the canyon for six years, where he was engaged in cutting timber for
saw mills. The original idea of going to Oregon was abandoned and instead Mr.
Lamb and his family took the southern route, and in course of time reached San
Bernardino, Cal., in 1865.

In 1871 the family moved to Los Angeles County and located on the Brea ranch,
farming the land where the oil wells were afterwards found. James Lamb died in
1908 in San Diego County at the advanced age of eighty-one years; his wife returned
to Los Angeles County, where she passed away in 1910 at the age of seventy-one.
They were the parents of nine children, eight of whom reached maturity.

Jerome T. Lamb was the eldest child and was but three years of age when the
family started on their long overland journey across the plains. He grew up in San
Bernardino and Los Angeles counties, following farming in the latter county. In 1912
he located in Orange County, settling in Buaro precinct where he purchased twenty
acres of land, fourteen of which he planted to walnuts and one and a fourth acres to
oranges. He installed a pumping plant and has developed his place into one of the
most productive walnut groves in the district.

On November 13, 1879, Jerome T. Lamb was united in marriage with Miss Clara
E. Short, daughter of John E. and Mary Elizabeth (Hardy) Short, natives of Illinois,
the ceremony being solemnized at Pomona. Mrs. Lamb was left an orphan at the age
of twelve years, after which she made her home with an uncle. Thomas Short, a farmer
at Percy, 111., When nineteen years old she came with a married sister to Los Angeles
and was married to Mr. Lamb the following year. Of this happy union two children
were born: Mary Adella is the wife of Earl W. Jonas, bridge inspector for the Salt
Lake Railway Company, and they have four children — Helen I., Thelma M., Earl W.
and Margaret; Walter T. Lamb, the second child, is a civil engineer at Los Angeles and
was born at Pasadena, August 22. 1883. He is in the engineering department of the
Pacific Electric Railway and lives in Los Angeles. He was married August 27, 1912,
to Miss Agnes Nast of Los Angeles and they are the parents of three children — .\udrey
E., Mildred and Dorothy. Jerome T. Lamb is a member of Palms Lodge No. 422,
Independent Order of Odd Fellows, while with his wife he is a member of Acacia
Rebekah Lodge No. 314. Huntington Beach.

WENDELL P. READ. — Well adapted for the prominent and important position
he holds as principal of the El Modena grammar school, Wendell P. Read, is recog-
nized by all as a competent, successful and popular teacher. Mr. Read was born in a
log cabin on a Kansas homestead at Council Grove, Kans., October 8, 1876, and is the
son of Dwight R. Read, a native of Oswego, New York, and an old time abolitionist
who enlisted in Company H of the One Hundredth New York \'olunteer Infantry,
serving valiantly throughout the entire Civil War. After the close of the war he was
married at Atchison, Kans., to Miss Mary Elizabeth IngersoU, who was born in Indiana
and reared in Iowa, and was a distant relative of the late Colonel IngersoU — about a
fourth cousin. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Read went to Morris County, Kans..
and homesteaded a piece of property, and upon this homestead their three children
were born: Dwight, who is now the editor of the "Milton Gazette," at Milton, Fla.;
Lilly, who is the wife of Harvey Short, a business man of Wyoming^; and Wendell
Phillips. The parents continued to farm until the father's health failed. They then
retired to Fredonia, Kans., where he passed to the Great Beyond, in 1896, aged seventy-
three. The mother came to California in January. 1919. and died at Mr. Read's home
at El Modena, at the age of eighty-four.

Wendell P. grew up on the Kansas farm, attended the district schools of the
locality in winter and spent his summers doing farm work. At seventeen he passed a
teacher's examination and taught school in ^^■ilson County, Kans. He afterward be-
came a student at the Kansas State Normal at Emporia, where he pursued the regular
three years' pedagogical course. He finished the course in 1902, and was listed with
the 1903 class. His first experience in school work after graduating was as the principal
of the Williamsburg grammar school, Fremont County, Colo., in 1902-3.

Mr. Read's marriage, which occurred at Fredonia, Kans.. June 8, 1902, united him
with Miss Pearl Souders, a native of Ohio. Her parents John and Amelia (Bonham)
Souders, are now living retired at Hollywood. Cal. Mrs. Read also graduated from the
Kansas State Normal. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Read, namely.
Ruth, Paul I. and Lois A. Mr. Read farmed in Kansas until 1911. then went to Florida
and purchased a forty-five-acre plantation. He again enlisted as a teacher and organ-
ized and became the principal of the Parish. Fla., high school. Attacked with the
malady so common to the southern states, malaria, he returned to Kansas and became
superintendent of the city schools at Cunningham. Kans., serving one year. 1913-14. In



1362 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

the spring of 1914 he came to Los Angeles and entered the summer school of the
University of Southern California, completing the course in the summer of 1916 with
the degree of A.M. In 1914 he came to El Modena and took charge of the EI Modena
grammar school, an up-to-date school of eight grades, which gives manual training
to the boys and girls, has a string orchestra, etc. Mr. Read is the owner of a ranch at
El Modena. He bought the eight acres with the comfortable, modern bungalow upon
it, January, 1919, and recently added another two acres to his possession, giving him a
fine ten-acre ranch. He also owns a fifty-seven-acre ranch at San Jacinto. He finds
recreation from the arduous mental labor as a teacher in taking care of the El Modena
ranch, which is devoted to the culture of citrus fruit, working evenings and Saturdays.
Mr. Read enters heartily into community affairs and was elected president of the Farm
Center at El Modena, Januar}% 1920. A firm advocate of national prohibition, he is a
consistent Christian, he and his wife being members of the Friends Church at El
Modena. A man of tine character, a clear thinker, broad-minded and original, his con-
versation is spiced with dry wit and humor and he has a keen desire for the community's
betterment, morally, commercially and educationally.

SAMUEL A. MARSDEN, M.D.— .A. physician of pleasing personality who is
meeting with merited success, is Dr. Samuel A. Marsden, popular with his patients and
fellow-citizens. He was born at Centerville, Iowa, March 17, 1885, where he spent the
first twelve years of his life, after which he came to Oregon with his parents in 1897,
and made his home at Portland. On completing the courses at the Marshfield high
school, he entered Portland Academy, from which in due time he was graduated with
honors: and then he became a clerk in a drug store, and for some years continued
active in the drug business at Portland and at Marshfield, Ore. From a boy, however,
he had had the desire to study medicine and surgery, and finally the way was opened
to his reaching that goal. Having come south to Orange, he entered the premedical
department of the University of Southern Calfornia. and there continued the study of
medicine until his graduation, in 1917, with the degree of M.D. He then put in eighteen
months as interne at the Los Angeles County Hospital.

A month later, Dr. Marsden volunteered his services to the United States Govern-
ment, and was commissioned a first lieutenant in the U. S. Medical Crops. He was
sent to the training camp for medical officers at Fort Riley, Kans., and at the end of
sixty days was transferred to Camp Kearny, where he was stationed until the armistice.
On December 10, 1918, he was honorably discharged, and three days later began his
medical practice in Orange, associating himself as a partner with Dr. Domann, the
firm becoming Domann and Marsden. He was made deputy county physician, and has
since been unusually active in responding to the many demands for his services. He
holds a two-hour free clinic at the Social Science League in Santa Ana each week, on
Tuesdays, and there performs a philanthropic service that is of growing importance.
He is a member of the American Medical Association, the State Medical Society,
Southern California Medical Society, and the Orange County Medical Association and
the Association of Military Surgeons of the United States.

Dr. Marsden was made a Mason at Blanco Lodge No. 48. A. F. & A. M., at Marsh-
field, Ore., and belongs to Arago Chapter Xo. 21. R. A. M., at Marshfield. He is also
atfiliated with the San Diego Consistory of the Scottish Rite Masons, Al Malaikah
Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S., Los Angeles, and he is a member of the Doric Chapter
No. 53, O. E. S., at Marshfield, Ore., where he is a past patron. In college, he belonged
to the Phi Rho Sigma, and is a member of the local chapter of the American Legion.

REO C. ADAMS. — Among the old colonial families of America the name of
Adams stands preeminent for physical and mental strength, virility, versatility and
many other excellent qualities that have aided in large measure to develop our com-
monwealth. .\ worthy exponent of his branch of this most estimable family, is Reo
C. Adams, prominent citrus rancher of Alameda Street, at El Modena, Cal., who was
born of good old New England Adams' stock at Dublin, N. H., December 13, 1879.
His parents, John L. and Abbie J. (Wheeler) Adams, are natives of New Hampshire,
where the father owned a farm. They are now living at Pomona, Cal,, and the father
owns a walnut ranch. Reo C. is the second child in a family of three children: \\'illis
T., a rancher, died in California in 1919: George \. resides at Monrovia, and is in
the employ of the Edison Electric Company.

Reo C. came to California, a lad about ten years of age, w-ith his parents, who first
located at Los Angeles, where they lived two and a half years. They afterwards spent
five years at Duarte, then returned to Los .Angeles for five months before they settled
in Bolsa precinct. Orange County, in 1896. Reo attended the public schools of Duarte,
and before his marriage worked for Raitt's Banner Dairy at Santa .\na for two years.
He then engaged with the Los .Angeles Street Railway as motorman at Los Angeles,



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1365

remaining with the company two years. His marriaije occurred June 25. 1902, and
united him with Miss Etta Clark, daughter of the late William C. Clark of Santa Ana.
Mrs. Adams was born in Nebraska and was fifteen years old when she accompanied
her parents to California. Two daughters have been l)orn to Mr. and Mrs. Adams,
May Etta and Eva Minnie, by name.

Mr. Adams' five-acre ranch is located on Alameda Street. He has lived on and
operated the place for the past thirteen years, purchasing it about five years ago. He
has lived in California for thirty years, and twenty-three years of that time his home
has been in Orange County. His enthusiastic and optimistic nature makes many friends
and his efficiency and energy as a worker have brought excellent results in the success
he has attained financially. Fraternally he affiliates with the Modern Woodmen of
America, and in his political convictions he is a consistent Republican. He and his
wife are members of the First Methodist Church at Santa Ana.

U. G. LITTELL, D. O. — Prominent among the Orange County physicians of note
who have done much to advance not only medical science but the proper appreciation
of the possibilities of osteopathy must be mentioned Dr. U. G. Littell. whose offices at
317-18 W. H. Spufgeon Building, Santa Ana, have become a mecca for many suffering
from various human ills. He was born at Odon, Daviess County, Ind., on June 28,
1864, the son of William N. Littell, a minister in the Church of Christ, who had married
in Indiana Miss Mary E. Johnson, like himself a native of the Hoosier State, and a
charming, good woman, whose life blessed all who came in contact with her.

The subject of our sketch lived at home until he was twenty-one, attending both
the schools of his district and the Normal School at Owensburg; and having been grad-
uated by the latter institution of note, he received a teacher's certificate and taught for
a year, in Indiana. He then removed to Nebraska and there taught school for six
years, after which he continued his teaching for a year in Iowa. If he had made no
other progress than to acquire his first-hand knowledge of human nature thus obtained,
he would have accomplished much.

In 1891 he accomplished the equally great step of migrating to California and
getting acquainted with the great Pacific commonwealth at one of its most important
periods of development, settling in what is now the Winterburg Precinct, Orange
County. Here he farmed, and for a while also worked at the carpenter's trade. In
Orange County, too, on August 25, 1893, Mr. Littell married Miss Mary E. Blaylock, a
sister of W. W. Blaylock of the Ocean View school district, and thus happily set up
his domestic establishment.

Public spirited to an admirable degree, Mr. Littell in 1898 became a candidate
for the office of county auditor; but. after a live campaign in which he made an excellent
run, he was defeated by Captain Hall, who obtained a small majority of the votes.

In 1903 Mr. Littell matriculated at the Pacific College of Osteopathy in South
Pasadena, from which he graduated with honors in June, 1906, in Los Angeles. After
graduation, he settled at Santa Ana where he has since practiced with great success.
Their residence at 635 Parton Street is the center of a generous hospitality. Besides
belonging to the National. State and County Osteopathic associations. Dr. Littell is a
member of the Santa Ana Chamber of Commerce. Both Dr. and Mrs. Littell belong
to the Church of Christ at the corner of Broadway and Walnut streets, and the Doctor



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 151 of 191)