Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 152 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 152 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


is also a Modern Woodman of America. Dr. Littell is always a good "booster," be-
lieving in Santa Ana and Orange County, first, last and all the time.

CHAS. E. SMILEY.— The beautiful residence and home of Chas. E. Smiley,
located on Collins Avenue near Tustin Street, attracts the attention of all who pass
on the thoroughfare. The property is under a high state of cultivation and five of
the ten acres comprised in the place are planted to \'alencia oranges, the remainder
being planted to lemons. Mr. Smiley was born near Ithaca. Tompkins County, N. Y.,
on May 16, 1862, and grew up on the home farm there. His father, Artemas L., and
mother, Emily (George) Smiley, were members of old New York State families and
were the parents of five children, two girls and three boys, only two of whom survive —
Mr. Smiley and his sister. Mary, the wife of George W. Sutfin, who resides at Dryden,
N. Y., aged seventy-three. The other brothers and sister, who were all married, are
survived by children. The celebrated Dr. N. K. Foster of Oakland, is the surviving
husband of Mr. Smiley's sister. Jennie, who died in 1893. Dr. Foster served two terms
in the California legislature and for ten years was secretary of the state board of
health. He has one child, a son. Dr. H. E. Foster, a young and progressive physician
of Oakland.

Chas. E. Smiley received a good education in the public schools of the Empire
Slate and at the age of twenty left home to join his two brothers, Robert A. and John
G., who were extensive sheep growers at Rawlins, Wyo., where he arrived in 1882. His



1366 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

brothers owned 15,000 head of sheep and Chas. E. worked for them about three years,
afterwards engaging in the cattle business for himself in 1885. His home was in
Rawlins. Wyo.. but he made his headquarters in the foothills of Elk Mountain, near
Fort Steele, Wyo.. and his brand was Y 3. He ran from 400 to 500 head of cattle on
the range for several j'ears and in 1892 disposed of his ranch and engaged in wool
growing. Purchasing a band of sheep he ranged them on the desert and in the moun-
tains increasing his numbers until he had 9.000 head. He afterward drove his sheep
to Bellefourche, S. D., where he disposed of them in the fall of 1905 and in the fall
of 1906 he came to Southern California. To him the change from the plains of Wyo-
ming to the citrus section of Southern California was rather extreme in one particular,
to say the least. In Wyoming he had left plenty of land that could be purchased at
fifty cents an acre and here he found orange and lemon orchards selling from $2,000
to $3,000 an acre and this made him desirous, first, to get an insight, not only in the
care of the orchard, but income derived from same, so he put in the first few months
working on the large Leffingwell ranch and there acquired considerable knowledge of
citrus growing as well as the method of marketing the crops.

In the spring of 1907 he purchased an orange grove at Covina, and selling it in
1911 he purchased his present ten-acre orange orchard on Collins "Avenue, Orange,
which he has brought to a high state of cultivation and bearing. He is a member of the
Villa Park Orchard Association and the Central Lemon Association of Villa Park. In
Wyoming he was prominent in politics and in 1902 he was elected a member of the
state legislature of Wyoming on the Republican ticket serving during the session of
1903; he took an active part in the session and secured the passage of several bills
in the interest of stockmen and other needed legislation.

His marriage occurred at Fort Steele, Wyo., in 1898, and united him with Miss
Mary Nelson, a native of England, who was reared in Ontario from the age of six
years until she attained the age of sixteen, when she came to Wyoming with her sister.
In his fraternal relations he is a life member of Rawlins Lodge No. 609 of the Elks.
Mrs. Smiley is a member of the First Presbyterian Church at Orange, which he also
attends and supports.

CARL E. DURNBAUGH. — A self-made man who has become a prosperous dairy-
man is Carl E. Durnbaugh. who lives at the corner of Yorba and Chapman Streets, in
Orange. He was born near Seward. Nebr., on March 7, 1893, the son of George E. and
Laura Durnbaugh, prosperous farm folks. Mrs. Durnbaugh died in 1896, and then her
husband sold his Nebraska farm and purchased several thousand acres in Osborne Coun-
ty. Kans.. on which he raised stock, wheat, corn, cattle and hogs. He aimed to keep
seven or eight carloads of both cattle and hogs if the season was good, and less if the
year was dry.

In 1900. however. George Durnbaugh sold out and came to Orange County. Cal.,
and settled at the corner of Tustin and Collins avenues, in Orange, where he pur-
chased fifteen acres, set out to oranges and apricots. After ten years, he sold this land
and bought property in the city of Orange. Tiring of this, after three years, he dis-
posed of his Orange holding and removed to Madera, where he bought a grocery busi-
ness. After another three years, Mr. Durnbaugh moved to Inglewood, Los Angeles
County, where he at present lives, hale and hearthy at the age of sixty-five.

Carl Durnbaugh lived at home until he was married, in Orange, to Miss Veva H.
Pierce, a Michigan girl born near Langsburg, the daughter of Frank J. and Myrtle R.
Pierce, old settlers of the state. She came to California with her parents in 1906, but
after a year here moved back to Michigan for a couple of years. The never-failing
spell of California brought her family again to the Golden West, and they made their
home in Orange; and here, on March 7. 191-9, her father died.

Immediately after marrying, Mr. Durnbaugh engaged in teaming, continuing in
that field for a couple of years. In the fall of 1913, he started a dairy on Cambridge
Street, and for three years followed that industry. When he sold out, he bought fifty
acres of alfalfa land in Ferris Valley, Cal., where he raised hogs, cattle, turkeys and
chickens. After a short time, he sold that and purchased a lemon grove of twelve acres
in East Villa Park. He lived there until the latter part of 1917, when he disposed of
the lemon grove and established his dairy at the corner of Yorba Street and Chapman
Avenue. He has twenty-one head of milch cattle, mostly Jerseys, scattered over the
three acres; he has remodeled his house, and built a barn and a milk house. He sells
his dairy product at retail, from house to house; he intends soon to plant Valencia
oranges on his place.

Mr. and Mrs. Durnbaugh are the proud parents of a bouncing boy, Oscar Carl, a
year old. They belong to the First Methodist Church, have worked for the war loans,
and maintain their interest in community welfare, and independence in politics.




CN^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1369

THEODORE E. STOLT. — A patriotic American gentleman who has "made good"
with little or no external assistance is Theodore E. Stolt, of Anahemi, who was born
near New London, Wis., on September 2, 1872, the son of William F. and Bertha Stolt,
both natives of Germany, from which country they emigrated as children to the United
States, after which they met and married here. Five children were granted them,
although only four are still living; and of these, our subject and Edward E. are the only
ones of the family now in California.

While Theodore was a boy, his parents removed to Westpoint, Cuming County,
Nebr., and there he was reared and educated, remaining in that state until he was
twenty-one. He had a varied experience as a manufacturer and a dealer in brick and
paper, and then he took up photography, continuing in that field for six years. After a
while he went back to Wisconsin; but not finding there, after all, just what he wanted as
a life environment, he determined to come west, to the "jumping off" place.

In February, 1910, Mr. Stolt came to California, and in Orange County he secured
a pasture range which he has so improved, through the fruits of his past experience and
hard, unremitting labor, that it is now a feast to the eye, and frequently visited by those
who travel miles to see a model ranch. Ke now owns forty acres, twenty-six of which
are devoted to oranges, while seven acres are given to lemons, his trees being nine years
old, and they are situated conveniently and advantageously on the county highway three
miles west of Anaheim. He did own sixtj" acres, but sold twenty and these acres he
partly improved. Mr. Stolt devotes his best energies and most careful thought to apply-
ing the latest word of science in the operation of this ranch by the most approved
methods and with the most up-to-date appliances; and it is natural that he should be
a member of the Orange and Lemon Growers Association at Anaheim. In politics he
is a Republican.

In 1910, the same year in which he showed his wise discrimination by the purchase
of his land, Mr. Stolt took another step most wisely, and was united in matrimony to
Miss Helen M. Hein, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frederick Hein. a native of Nebraska,
where she was as much of a favorite as she has been in a wide circle since she came to
Anaheim. They have a comfortable, cheery home, and dispense a modest, but satisfying
hospitality; just such' a home as makes, for example, for the wealth, endurance and last-
ing happiness of a commonwealth, .\naheim is pleased that Mr. Stolt chose to pitch his
tent under such favoring conditions; and Mr. Stolt — well, ask him if he ever regretted
coming to Orange County.

J. F. KAUFMAN. — An expert mechanic who by personal attention to the work
in his machine shop and the installation of thoroughly up-to-date machinery, has fast
built up a verj' profitable patronage, is J. F. Kaufman, the proprietor of the Eureka
Garage Repair Shop. He was born on a farm near Ithaca, Mich., on May 26. 1892, the
son of Franklin D. and Maria E. Kaufman, and received his schooling in Stanton and
Belding, in that state. His father was a Free Methodist minister, and like his col-
leagues, moved about the country a good deal with his family.

Our subject worked in the Oldsmobile automobile factory for five years, becoming
chief inspector of the outside department, which then had charge of smoothing up the
gears and other mechanism of all the cars before they were placed on the market; and
during the three years that he was associated with the Oldsmobile production, he amply
demonstrated his ability and contributed toward making that car one of the most
dependable on the market. Then he moved back to Belding and in 1913 went into
business for himself. He maintained a garage and repair shop, and when he sold
out at the end of the year, he did so planning to come out to California. He was
advised, however, that conditions here were none too favorable at that time, and so he
moved to Lansing, where he worked in the Reo factory, giving two active years to
their service department.

\t last, in the fall of 1916, Mr. Kaufman came out to California, landing here on
the last day of October, when he started working for the Libby Motor Company; with
which concern he continued until the following January. Then he entered the employ
of Layton Bros., in the same building he himself now occupies. On October IS, 1918,
he bought out Layton and formed a partnership with L. J. Fremeau. The next sum-
mer, on August 1. he purchased the interest of the partner and became sole proprietor.

Now Mr. Kaufman's business, which has kept pace with the growth of the auto
industry of the town and vicinity, embraces the reboring of cylinders and the fitting of
pistons; general machine work, with the latest appliances, and alj kinds of miscellaneous
repairs on all kinds of machines. This requires the services of no less than five expert
mechanics, for among other s|>ecialties, the Kaufman garage maintains a service station
for the Maxwell Motor Car.

Mr. Kaufman's father died in Michigan on February 6. 1905. and six years later'
the mother of our subject, together with a daughter, came to Santa .\na. where they



1370 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

now live. This sister. Miss Stella Kaufman, has been for years engaged in school work,
of late instructing in the Spurgeon school. On May 26, 1910, Mr. Kaufman was married
to Miss Anna Kamans, a native of Grand Rapids. Mich., and the daughter of Anthony
Kamans and his wife, Catherine. She was educated in the fine public schools of Grand
Rapids, while she enjoyed the home life of her parents, comfortable farmer-folk who
had come to Grand Rapids to retire. One child, Richard L., has blessed this union.
The family reside at 814 East Sixth Street, in a dwelling purchased by Mr. Kaufman
as his future home, and attend the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Kaufman is a Mason,
and also an independent Republican, refusing to be trammeled by partisanship if the
candidate or the measure is unfit or unsatisfactory.

FENN B. FIELD AND MRS. LOUISE W. FIELD.— An exceptionally apt young
rancher who has demonstrated again and again a thorough knowledge of the details
of the citrus industry, is Fenn B. Field, who was born at Sioux Falls. S. D.. on July
23. 1885. His father was the late Samuel I., and his mother. Louise W. Field. She
was born at Taylor. Cortland County. N. Y., on July 14, 1843, the daughter of -Augustus
Wire, of Goshen, Conn., who had married Louise Xeal, of Litchfield, the same state.
Thomas Wire, the great-grandfather, fought seven }-ears in the Revolutionary War.
Augustus Wire was a prosperous farmer, both raising the necessaries of life and weav-
ing cloth for clothing, thereby maintaining himself independently. Mrs. Field attended
the district school, and afterward the academy at Cincinnatus. N. Y., and at the age of
twenty-five removed to Winslow, 111., where she lived with her two brothers, Ithamar
and Augustus. Next to the youngest in a family of eight, she is the only survivor.

For three years. Miss Wire lived in Illinois, and then she went back to Taylor,
N. Y.. where on December 1. 1868. she was married to Samuel I. Field. The date of
his birth was January 13, 1831, and he first saw the light in Tompkins County, N. Y.
His father was Augustus, and his mother Marj- Field, and they were both natives
of Massachusetts. Samuel Field was brought up on the home farm, and was educated
at the district school. He was early attracted to Iowa, and for a while he farmed near
Waterloo. He soon moved on to Colorado, where he mined for gold and was a hotel-
keeper at Fall River, Colo., but in 1868 he returned to New York for- his bride. Imme-
diately after that, he went to Green River, Wyo., where Mrs. Field was one of the
only three women there at that time, when the country was in the making. He saw, in
fact, the development of \\'yoming. for in 1869 the Union Pacific Railroad from Green
River to Ogden w-as united at the latter place with the Central Pacific.

At Green River, Mr. Field secured a patent on 160 acres, the land on which now
stands the switch yards of the Union Pacific Railway. Mr. Field was a merchant at
Green River, and also the proprietor of the restaurant serving the passengers from the
East each morning, and from the West each evening. When the first original eating-
house burned down in 1873, Mr. Field rebuilt on a larger scale, and was proprietor of
the new restaurant for three years. He also built the first district school house at
Green River at his own expense. It was from Mr. Field's place that the distinguished
Major John \\'esley Powell started on his explorations for the Smithsonian Institute
down the Green River and Grand Canyon of the Colorado River. In 1918, Mrs. Field
returned to Green River and was honored by being invited to christen the monument
erected in memor}- of Major Pow'ell. Water, and not champagne was used in the
ceremony, and the crystal liquid was brought up 4.500 feet from springs below by
devoted Indians.

After nine years in Green River, during which time Mr. Field was the leading
merchant there, he sold out his business and moved to Kansas where he lived for six
years. He then moved to Sioux Falls, where he spent another six years in that South
Dakota town. In 1890, Mr. Field, longing for the rich lands of California, came out
to McPherson where, at that time, the main industry was the culture of raisins. The
grapevines gradually died from blight, and orange trees took the place of the vines.
Ever since then, Mrs. Field has lived at McPherson.

Nine children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Field, seven of whom are still living:
Samuel W. resides at Kimberly, Minn.; David Dudley lives on a ranch on Seventeenth
Street, in Orange; Louisa has become Mrs. B. F. Merrill, of Nuevo, Riverside County;
Gary M. is a citrus rancher of Olive; Guy I. ranches at McPherson; Foss is on a dairy
and vineyard at Hanford; and Fenn B. is foreman of the Guthrie ranch on Le Veta
.\ venue. Orange. The deceased children are: Huldah. who died at Green River, when
she was a year old. and Mary V. who attained the age of nineteen.

Fenn B. Field caine to McPherson with his parents in 1889, and attended the
Santiago grammar school. He was also a member of the first class to graduate from
the new Orange Union high school in 1906. During 1907 and 1908, he attended Pomona
• College, where he took the general course; but in 1909 he went to Mexico with his
brother Foss, and there leased a mine, spending a year in mining for gold and silver.



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1373

GEORGE McGUIRE.— To develop twenty acres of raw land into a highly de-
veloped orange orchard is an achievement anyone might be proud to claim. This may
be said of George McGuire, the owner of one of the best developed groves, for its size
and age, on the County Highway, being about three miles west of Anaheim.

George McGuire was born in Gallatin, Mo., November 23, 1808, the son of Thomas
and Frances (Lutz) McGuire, natives of Ireland and Missouri, respectively. Five
children were born to them, four residing in California, two of them in Orange County.
Thomas McGuire was brought to the United States by his parents when he was a lad
of nine and he grew up in this country and was one of its most loyal citizens while he
lived. He first came to California in the early '60s, via Cape Horn, to join an older
brother who had already located in this state. Like the greater majority of immi-
grants he mined for a time, but did not tind the fortune he expected and later he joined
a train bound for the East, the party consisting of his older brother, a sister and her
husband and his mother. When crossing through Nebraska, they were attacked by
Indians, who ran off all their stock, leaving them but two scrub teams with which they
made their way eastward, the men having to walk the entire distance. Some time
after his marriage, when George was ten years of age, the family moved to Washington
County, Kans., where the father farmed. The wife and mother died in Missouri in
1878, and Mr. McGuire married again, choosing for his wife a sister of his hrst wife,
and by her a daughter was born, who is now living in California. This wife died soon
after and he was married a third time.

The McGuire family subsequently moved to Western Texas and here the father
and his four sons engaged in stock raising and farming in a partnership arrangement.
The father came to California in 1895, leaving his sons to carry on the ranching opera-
tions in Texas, but he made a trip back there and soon sold out to them and. returning
to California, made his permanent home in Orange County, where he owned twenty
acres of land three miles west of Anaheim. He died in Los .Angeles in 1912, mourned
by a wide circle of devoted friends.

George McGuire made a visit to see his father in Orange County in 1905, and so
well impressed was he with the country that he decided to locate here and he returned
to Texas and by 1909. after having lived twenty years in Texas, disposed of his interests
there and located in Orange County on the twenty-acre ranch he now owns and which
he developed from a barley field into one of the finest orange groves in this section of
the county. He grew the nursery stock and set out the trees, leveled the land and made
it possible to irrigate the entire tract. While his orchard was developing he raised
beans and other products between the rows until now he can depend upon a steady
income from his fine trees. What he now owns has been the result of hard work, in-
dustrious efforts and good management. In all his operations he has had the coopera-
tion of his devoted wife, who shares with him the esteem of a wide circle of friends.

In 1896 Mr. McGuire was married to Miss Chassie Bowser, a native of Brown
County. Texas, the daughter of Abraham and Mary (Kemp) Bowser, the ceremony
occurring in Brownwood, Te.xas. Five children have been born to them: George D..
deceased: Mary Frances, Mabel, Thomas and James A. Mr. McGuire has shown his
interest in educational matters by serving as a school trustee in his district, and has
given much satisfaction in the discharge of his duties. He and his wife are members
of the Christian Church of Anaheim. Mr. McGuire being a deacon of the church and
prominent in its activities.

WILLARD C. Dubois, M. D.— Since locating in Santa .A.na. his boyhood home,
in 1914. Dr. Willard C. DuBois has attained a high position as a successful practitioner.
The son of a prominent Orange County family, Willard C. DuBois was born at Grant
City, Mo., August 25. 1882. His parents are \'alentine and Sarah (Alexander) DuBois,
both natives of Indiana. The father spent his early days on a farm in that state,
acquiring a thorough knowledge of farming while yet in his youth, so that he was able
to make his own way in the world when many other lads of his age were still at their
studies. Migrating to Missouri, he farmed there for four years, going later to the
Northwest, where he was employed near Tacoma, Wash., for about four years. Com-
ing down to California, he settled near San Jose, and for five years devoted his time
to farming there, until 1895, when he located at Santa Ana. and here he has since made
his home. During the intervening years Mr. DuBois acquired several tracts located in
the vicinity of Santa .\na, accumulating a competence solely by his good judgment
and tireless energv. Rated among the prosperous citizens of Orange County, he and
his wife are now living retired at their Santa .\na home.

Three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Valentine DuBois: Gertrude is now the
wife of Walter D. Lamb, the well-known rancher of Talbert: Dr. Willard C. Dubois of
this sketch; and Cecil DuBois, now deceased. A resident of Santa Ana since his tenth
year. Dr. DuBois attended the public and high schools of Santa .\na. and then entered



1374 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

Louisville University at Louisville, Ky., where he spent three years. Entering the
University of Denver at Denver, Colo., he completed his medical course there, grad-
uating in 1910. Receiving an appointment as interne at St. Luke's Hospital at Denver,
Dr. DuBois spent a year and a half there, profiting greatly by the valuable experience
gained in that famed institution, which ranks high among the hospitals of the West.
Subsequently he spent some time with a mining company in Arizona.

Locating in Santa Ana in 1914, Dr. DuBois at once entered into the active prac-
tice of medicine and surgery and his genuine talent for materia medica, combined with
his thorough preparation for his life-work under skilled instructors, have given him a
place of high standing in the community. Despite his busy professional life. Dr. Du-
Bois is exceedingly public spirited and ready to give of his time and interest to all
movements for the betterment of the town and county, furthering this by membership
in the Chamber of Commerce. A firm believer in the principles of the Republican party.
Dr. DuBois gives his political influence to that organization. Fraternally he is a mem-
ber of the Santa Ana Lodge of Elks and during the war served on the examining board
and is a member of the Reserve Medical Corps.

ROY HUNTER MITCHELL. — Among the young men who are contributing to
the growth and development of Brea is Roy Hunter Mitchell, who is with the Standard
Oil Company. A native of New York. Mr. Mitchell was born at Rock City, in that
state, on March 28, 1882. His parents were William and Mary (Leyda) Mitchell, and
they are now both living in Pennsylvania. William Mitchell has been in the oil busi-
ness as an oil ganger for many years, working in the different fields of the East. Mr.
and Mrs. Mitchell were the parents of nine children and Roy is the sixth in order of



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 152 of 191)