Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 153 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 153 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


birth. He was fortunate in receiving a good education in the public schools of Penn-
sylvania, graduating from the high school at Titusville.

Following in his father's footsteps, Mr. Mitchell went into the oil business, work-
ing in the Eastern fields until 1910, when he decided to seek his fortune in California.
For some time previous to his coming West he had been in the employ of the Standard
Oil Company, and he still continues with them, having now a record of fifteen years
of faithful service with them. Wide-awake and progressive in his ideas, Mr. Mitchell
is a firm believer in the future of Orange County, and is especially interested in the
dvelopment of Brea. When this place was incorporated, he was elected a trustee, and
in 1918 he was reelected, and is now serving a four-year term.

Mr. Mitchell's marriage occurred on March 9, 1910, when he was united with Miss
Estella Ashton; they have one daughter, Kathryn L. The family attend the Congre-
gational Church. Mr. Mitchell is a member of the Elks of Whittier, and in politics is
a believer in the principles of the Democratic party.

BURLEIGH L. GOODRICH.— .\mong the industries represented in the pros-
perous and progressive city of Fullerton plumbing is prominently identified with the
city's steady advancement toward metropolitan proportions. Burleigh L. Goodrich,
Fullerton's well-known plumbing contractor, was born at Bangor, Van Buren County.
Mich., November 25, 1883. His parents, Leander and Alpha (Herrington) Goodrich,
also natives of Michigan, were farmers, and in 1890 removed to California, where they
engaged in ranching at Artesia, Los Angeles County. They now reside at Los Angeles.

In a family of four brothers, Burleigh L. was the eldest, and was but seven years
of age when his parents came to California. He received a public school education and
assisted his father on the ranch until he attained the age of fifteen, when he learned
the plumbing trade under M. T. Cunniff at Riverside, Cal. He was engaged as a
journeyman plutnber in Riverside until 1911, when he entered business under the firm
name of Armbrust and Goodrich, plumbing contractors at Anaheim. He continued the
Anaheim business for seven and a half years and then sold his interest to his partner,
and in January, 1919, removed to Fullerton. where he started in the same business.
He has rapidly assumed the lead as an expert in his line of business. During the
busy season he employs six men, all competent workmen and guaranteeing satisfac-
tion in every particular. Among specimens of his work may be cited: The Municipal
Building in the City Park, the City Jail, the Roberts Apartments in Anaheim, the resi-
dences of E. K. Benchley, P. E. Huddleson and Frank Benchley. While in Anaheim
he did the plumbing work on the Valencia Hotel, Central Building, several buildings
for the Bastanchury ranch and many other fine residence in both cities. He also carries
a full line of plumbing supplies at his location, 115 West Commonwealth Avenue.

At Riverside in 1908, Mr. Goodrich was united in marriage with Miss Nellie Glim,
a native of Sweden, who was reared in Illinois from the age of two years and came to
Riverside in 1903, and their union has been blessed by the birth of two sons. Burton
and Robert. Mr. Goodrich was a volunteer in the Riverside Fire Department for
thirteen years. He became a member of the N'olunteer Fire Department in .Anaheim,



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 137S

serving as assistant chief for one year and then chief of the department for a year, when
he resigned on moving to FuUerton. In Riverside also he was a member of Company
M,- Seventh Regiment California National Guard, being called to San Francisco at the
time of the big tire in 1906.

While not associated with any political party he casts his ballot for the man whom
he considers best qualified for official duties. Fraternally he is a member of the
Knights of Pythias and the Anaheim Lodge, No. 1345, B. P. O. Elks, as well as Fuller-
ton Lodge of Odd Fellows, and with his wife is a member of the Yeomen. He is a
member of the Board of Trade and is a public-spirited citizen, thoroughly interested
in the welfare and development of Orange County.

WILLIAM A. DOLAN. — It has been fortunate for .\naheim that such men of
character and experience, good judgment and foresight as William A. Dolan, president
of the Anaheim National Bank, have been at the head of its financial aflairs, for thereby
has not only banking been stabilized, but commerce and all that is associated with it
have taken on a healthier tone. A native of Nebraska, where he was born at Exeter,
in Fillmore County, on November 5, 1878, Mr. Dolan has made his influence felt in
many circles, and always for positive good, since he first permanently identified himself
with California.

His father was James W. Dolan, a native of Ireland and a banker of Nebraska,
who came to Los Angeles in 1904. His wife was Miss Ida M. Hager before her mar-
riage, and was a native of Illinois. They are both living, honored of ten children,
among whom William is the second child.

Having attended the grammar schools of his locality, Mr. Dolan was graduated
from the high school at Indianola, Red Willow County, Nebr.. with the class of '96,
and later, for a year attended the State LTniversity at Lincoln. Then, in 1897, in Indian-
ola, Nebr., he entered his father's bank, and for three years he was bookkeeper and
assistant cashier there, and then for sixteen years was cashier.

In March, 1917, Mr. Dolan came to .\naheim and bought out the interest of F. C.
Krause in the Anaheim National Bank: he is ex-president of the Orange County
Bankers Association; is a member of the Board of Trade; is a Republican, with broad
views as to party influence in local affairs, and has served as mayor of the city of
Indianola, Nebr. During the Spanish-.\merican War, he served under Colonel William
Jennings Bryan as a member of the Third Regiment, Nebraska Volunteer Infantry.

On Independence Day, 1900, Mr. Dolan was married at Indianola, Nebr., to Miss
Louise W. Beardslee, the daughter of I. M. and Laura (Post) Beardslee, natives of
Illinois; and they have had three children — Geraldine, Isabel and William James. He
belongs to the Knights of Columbus, the Elks, the Mother Colony Club, the Newport
Yacht Club, and the Hacienda Country Club.

RILEY B. WARNE.— A public-spirited man and a worthy representative of one
of the well-known pioneer families, Riley B. Warne, who came to La Habra with his
parents in 1894, among the first settlers in the valley, is naturally a warm advocate of
the preservation, in county history form, of the historical data of the community. His
father was Thomas P. Warne, who married Miss Barbara Flory, a native of Ohio and
a kind and generous mother. Mr. Warne was a native of New York State, and as a
farmer, he turned the first furrows in 320 acres of Douglas County soil in the great
state of Kansas. There our subject was reared, attending the district school, the sixth
in a family of nine sons, while Mr. Warne served as trustee of the high school board
of Douglas County. After Riley had remained at home on his father's farm until he was
twenty-one his father passed away, in 1908, at the end of a year's illness, and soon after
Riley bought ten acres on Central Avenue improved it and sold in 1912. As an illus-
tration of the advance in land values since the time when Thomas Warne first acquired
his tract of 100 acres, it may be stated that Riley Warne sold, in 1914, a strip sixty
feet wide, running through his ranch, for the price paid for the entire tract.

On June 7, 1917, Mr. Warne was married to Miss Pansy B. Remington, a daughter
of H. M. Remington, the pioneer photographer of Fullerton, a lady well and favorably
known throughout the country for her interest in and work for the Christian Endeavor
movement and also secretary and treasurer of the Red Cross of the La Habra branch
of the Fullerton Chapter. In 1912 Mr. Warne bought one and a half acres on the
State Highway, and later purchased five acres on Cypress Avenue, part set to oranges,
and some lemons, and where they are planning to erect their home.

Mr. Warne is a member of the La Habra Citrus .\ssociation, and a member and
stockholder in the La Habra Water Company, and he also owns bank stock. He is a
Republican in matters of national political import and a nonpartisan supporter of the
best men and the best measures for the locality. He endeavors to live according to the
Golden Rule, and he has supported vigorously the work of the Red Cross.



1376 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

ANTON KLUEWER. — Prominent in lousiness circles in Anaheim, and meeting
with the success attendant upon years of experience in his line, Anton Kluewer is well
known throughout Southern California. A native of Hamburg, Germany, his birth
occurred March 10, 1873, and he received his education in the public schools of that
country. On finishing his schooling, he was apprenticed to the trade of window trimmer,
paying for. his instruction at a private school, and was obliged to serve four years there
before following his trade elsewhere. He then served two years in the German army
and spent the next year working at his trade in Germany.

In 1900 the young man sought greater opportunities, and came across the sea to
the City of Mexico, and secured a position as window trimmer with the large depart-
ment store of J. Albert Company, remaining with that concern five years. At the end
of that time he came to Los Angeles, and became cashier and steward of the Turner
Hall cafe on South Main Street. After six years with them he was steward and cashier
of the Louvre Cafe on South Spring Street for two years.

In 1911 Mr. Kluewer located in Anaheim, and started a cafe and grill at 154 \N''est
Center Street, where he now has one of the best appointed grills in the county, which
is noted for a decided novelty in the shape of two private dining rooms patterned after
large wine casks, and seating twelve guests each, an idea Mr. Kluewer got from a Paris
restaurant he visited some twenty years ago. He has splendid cooks and serves only
the best foods, maintaining a first class and well appointed establishment and has met
with deserved success in his business. In addition to his other business interests Mr.
Kluewer has bought and sold real estate in .\naheim, and at one time was the owner of
a ten-acre orange grove at Fullerton.

The marriage of Mr. Kluewer which occurred in September, 1919, united him with
Miss Louise Russmueller, a native of Chicago. Fraternally he is a member of the Red
Men, and is past chief in the lodge at Anaheim. With the best interests of his city
and country at heart. Mr. Kluewer has entered whole-heartedly into all projects for
advancing their welfare, and his broad-minded and generous aid have been of material
help in the general progress of this section of California, He is a member of the Ana-
heim Chamber of Commerce and of the Merchants Association.

WILLIAM A. GULP, — How much Californians have accomplished both to ad-
vance the state of husbandry and also to make this part of the coast areas fruitful and
attractive to the rest of the world, is well illustrated in the life and accomplishment of
William A. Culp, the orchardist of Brea. He is a Pennsylvanian by birth, having been
born in Clarion County of the Keystone State on December 18 of the Centennial Year;
and his parents were J. C. and Louise (Lineman) Culp. His father was an oil man, and
had an interesting association with the development of one of the great industries of
Pennsylvania. They were the parents of four children. Mr. Culp is deceased and Mrs.
Culp resides in Rochester, N. Y.

William A. Culp attended the grammar and high schools at Meadville, and early
got into the oil business, which he followed in the East and after coming West in 1911.
Three years later, he had entered another field, that of growing citrus fruits and still
later became the owner of the Brea Garage, and is now erecting a modern cement block
building for a moving picture theater. He is an active member of the Chamber of
Commerce, and leaves no stone unturned to contribute to the growth of Brea and its
flourishing county.

On August 29. 1900, Mr. Culp was married to Miss Edith Goodwin, who has
proven a valuable helpmate, sharing enthusiastically in his enterprises. His children,
Helen, Lura, Julia, Margaret and Sarah, have always enjoyed a large measure of
popularity. Although a "standpat" Democrat in matters of national politics, Mr. Culp
is broad-minded and free in his support of local issues. He has been honored with the
presidency of the school board, and also of the Chamber of Commerce.

GEORGE RAYMOND JONES,— Another representative business man of Fuller-
ton who has brought to bear, in the discharge of his responsibilities, a valuable expe-
rience and a never-failing energy, so that the community in which he has cast his lot
has come to feel and benefit from his health3' influence, is George Raymond Jones, of
the well-known firm of C. C. and G. R. Jones, agents for the Oakland Motor Car. He
was born at Jacksonville, Texas, on March 4, 1895, the son of J. E. Jones, who was
once president of the First National Bank of Fullerton, but is now retired. His wife
was Texanna Crosby Brooks before her marriage, and she and her w-orthy husband
are still living, blessed by their five children.

The third child, George Raymond, came to California in 1914, having been edu-
cated in the schools of Arkansas, after which he went to the University of Michigan at
Ann Arbor. Returning to Fullerton, Mr. Jones was for a while in the Fullerton National
Bank as assistant cashier. When the opportunity presented itself, Mr. Jones bought




1^
1^




HISTORY OF ORAXGE COUNTY 1379

into the Wickersheim Company and acted as its secretary for two and a half yeais.
at the end of which time he sold out to Mr. W'ickersheini, and organized the company
he is at present associated with. They have the north end of Orange County, as their
territory for the Oakland car, own modern buildings and maintain a show room, and
employ six men. Mr. Jones belongs to the FuUerton Board of Trade and cooperates
loyally in promoting the best interests of the town in which he enjoys his prosperity.
At Fullerton, in July, 1915, Mr. Jones was married to Miss Frances Jane Sturte-
vant, a native of Michigan and the daughter of Frank Sturtevant. One child, Frances
Jane, has been granted the fortunate couple. Mr. Jones finds the standards of the
Republican party most to his liking in matters of political moment, and he enjoj's the
social life of both the Elks and the Fullerton Club.

IRA W. POLING. — What Southern California has done and, therefore, what she
may do again for the orange growers, is well illustrated in the success attained by Ira
\V. Poling, who came to California a little over a decade ago. He was born near Ke-
wanna, Fulton County. Ind., on March 18, 1852. the son of Arnold and Lydia (Hudkins)
Poling, born in Virginia, who removed to Indiana and became farmers there. Ira W".
grew up on the home farm until he was twenty-three years of age. Then, in 1875. he
removed to Pawnee County, Nebr., where he bought a quarter-section of land near
Pawnee City, which he improved and brought to a high state of cultivation. Selling
out, he went to Jackson County, Kans., near Holton, and there bought eighty acres,
which he farmed for a short time. Once more selling out, he removed to Shawnee
County, in the same state, and there secured a quarter-section of land near Topeka.
which he farmed and afterward traded for a quarter-section near Oklahoma Cit}-,
Okla., where he engaged in agricultural pursuits for fourteen years. In Kansas he was
a member of the Farmers Alliance, and both profited and contributed toward the asso-
ciation with others in the same field.

In the fall of 1906, Mr. Poling came to Pomona, where he purchased an orange
grove on San Bernardino Avenue, consisting of nine and a third acres, which he after-
wards sold. Then he bought an orange ranch of ten and a third acres on East Kingsley
Avenue. He erected a fine residence and other desirable buildings, and otherwise
greatly improved the property; and after he had introduced the most scientific methods
in its management, he took in 1913 about $9,000 worth of fruit from the farm. Since
then he has demonstrated that in good years his ranch will produce 6.000 boxes of
fruit. He also bought a fine grove on East Holt .-Kvenue of eight and a half acres. As
might be expected of so enterprising and representative an orange grower. Mr. Poling
identified himself with the Pomona Fruit Growers E.xchange and also with tlie Palo-
mares Irrigation Company.

In Pawnee County, Nebr., on March 26, 1878, Mr. Poling was married to Miss
Myra E. Ennefer, a native of Eureka, Woodford County, 111., and the daughter of
William and Rebecca (Carpenter) Ennefer, born in England and Ohio, respectively.
They removed from Illinois to Nebraska in 1876. The father died in Jackson County,
Kans., being survived by his widow, who is now eighty-four years old. Mr. and Mrs.
Poling have had five daughters, all popular in their circles. Lulu, the eldest, and Esther,
the youngest, are at home; Xellie is the wife of C. F. Compton of Los Angeles and the
mother of two children: Minnie is the wife of E. C. Beesley of Ontario; and Eva has
become Mrs. O. C. Williams of Pomona and is the mother of three children.

Mr. Poling sold his orchards in Pomona in 1919, and removed to .\naheim, where
he purchased twenty-four acres on East Center Street, which is devoted to raising
Valencia oranges, and he is now a member of the Anaheim Citrus Fruit .Association.
With his family he is a member of the Christian Church in .Anaheim.

TAYLOR R. REID. — The advanced state of electrical science and technology is
daily illustrated in the work of the Reid and Farley Electrical Company, the senior
member of which is Taylor R. Reid, a native of Indianapolis, where he was born on
March IS, 1889. His parents were Joseph T. and Elina (Dale) Reid. To this worthy
couple were granted ten children. Taylor was the seventh in the order of birth, and
he was educated at the public and high schools of Indianapolis.

Having finished his studies, he learned the tinsmith's trade and for a while worked
as a journeyman in that field. In 1907 he first came to California, and after looking
over Southern California, located at Los .Angeles, where he was with the Pacific Elec-
tric for four years. He then located in Dow^ney where he entered the employ of the
Downey Light and Power Company, w^here for four years he had charge of the con-
struction work, after which he returned to Los .Angeles and started in the electrical
business. He continued there until 1916. when he located in Fullerton, where he estab-
lished himself in his present business. In 1917 he enlisted in the electrical department
of the aviation section of the L'. S. .Army, serving overseas until he returned to New



1380 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

York where he was mustered out in Febraury, 1919. and he immediately returned to
Fullerton. During this time, the business was conducted by J. J. Farley. On Mr.
Reid's return, after a year abroad, the two men formed a partnership as Reid and
Farley Electrical Company, and now they keep seven men employed steadily doing
the electrical work committed to their care. They carry a full line of electrical equip-
ment and household appliances, and have done the electrical work, some of it intricate
and difficult, in all the principal buildings in Fullerton and vicinity.

Mr. Reid, who enjoys a wide and pleasing popularity, belongs to the Knights of
Pythias and the Elks, and to the Fullerton Club, and few men, if any, are more welcome
in fraternal circles.

ARTHUR W. LINDLEY.— A highly intelligent, industrious and expanding
rancher, whose enterprise and ambition enable him to cultivate more land than he
really owns, is Arthur W'. LJndley, resident on Brookhurst Street. He was born in
Orange County, Ind.. on December 10, 1881. the son of J. A. and Helen S. (Webb)
Lindley, also of the Hoosier State, who had five children. Arthur was the third in the
order of birth, and he was reared and educated in Indiana, where he grew up to become
especially familiar with the problems of agriculture. He has resided in the Golden
State since 1907. and is the only member of the family in Orange County.

He lived for a while in Los Angeles, and for eight years was in the employ of a
creamery company where his sales averaged $200 per day. Attractive as this activity
was, he saw still greater possibilities before him as a rancher operating for himself;
and as soon as the opportunity presented itself, he acquired about twenty acres of the
best land he could find. He devoted this to truck farm produce, and with such gratify-
ing returns, that he rented tw-enty-five acres in addition, also for the cultivation of
garden-truck.

In 1917 Mr. Lindley w'3S united in marriage to Miss Nellie Long, the accomplished
daughter of Thomas Y. and Melissa A. Long; they have one daughter, Mary Jane. Mr.
Lindley joined the Modern \Voodmen as well as the ^Voodmen of the \VorId.

Work is nothing to Mr. Lindley unless it is planned and carried out with reason-
able intelligence and detailed attention, profiting today from the experience of yester-
day; and that is why. very likely, when Mr. Lindley totals up the outcome of his
thoughtful efforts, he invariably has something to show for them.

JOSEPH WALTER RAIKES.— One of the busiest men in Fullerton is Joseph
Walter Raikes, who has entire charge of the pumping plant of the Anaheim Union
Water Company. He was born in Fall River. Mass, July 3, 1874, the son of Walter
Raikes, a stonemason who had a leading hand in the building of modern Fall River,
He married Miss Ellen Hathaway, and in 1882 they removed west to Boulder, Colo.,
where he followed his trade. Joseph therefore attended school in Boulder, but when
he was thirteen years of age. he started to support himself.

He chose his father's trade, and became both a stonemason and a cement worker,
and such was the quality of his work that he engaged in contracting stone and cement
work. Among others he built the Physicians' Block, the Elks Building, the Washington
School, and many of the finest homes of Boulder.

While in that city, too, on November 15, 1895, Mr. Raikes was married to Miss
Clara A. Atteberry. a native of Missouri, where she was born near Mt. Maria. Her
parents were T. B. and Mary Atteberry, and her father was a farmer in the Iron State.
He came to Colorado for his health, and there followed gold and silver mining. Mrs.
Raikes went to school in Boulder, and grew up to claim two states as her homes.

In 1918 Mr. Raikes came to California and settled in Anaheim; and he did the
cement work for the .\naheim Union AVater Company and also for the Telephone
Company. On September 1. 1919. he was persuaded to take the position as engineer in
charge of the pumping plant, and now he has complete charge of the two wells — Well
No. 2 with a capacity of 500 inches, and Well No. 4 with a flow of 300 inches. As
part of his responsibility, he has the care of a Booster pump of 400 inches capacity
that forces the water of the local reservoir into the distributing reservoir.

On December 1, 1919. the saddest of calamities befell Mr. Raikes, eliciting the
warmest sympathy of all who had so esteemed him and his charming wife. That
estimable lady died after a severe attack of influenza and pneumonia, leaving four chil-
dren. Glen O. Raikes. the eldest, is married and lives in Long Beach; while Dean
Horace. Harold Edwin and Ruth Charlotte live at home. The family attend the Baptist
Church. Since Mrs. Raikes' demise, the father and mother of her lamenting husband
are making their home where she once was the center of an admiring circle. Mr.
Raikes is a Republican, but never allows partisanship to interfere with his energetic
support of the best men and measures for local advancement and uplift.



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1381

SIEGFRIED M. CHRISTIANSEN.— A far-seeing, hard-working rancher who has
reaped in his success a splendid reward for his labors is Siegfried M. Christiansen, of
East Commonwealth Avenue. Fidlerton. who was born in Schleswig. on Fohr Island,
on August 19. 1858. the son of Jens D. and Louise (Bohn) Christiansen. His father
was a farmer, and he worked industriously to afTord a comfortable home for his family,
and to give them the best of advantages within his reach; with the result that the lad
received an excellent public school education.



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 153 of 191)