Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 158 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 158 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


months, receiving a captain's commission from Washington and was sent to Camp
Fremont, where he was general instructor at the oflicers' training camp.

In April, 1919, Mr. Franklin came to Anaheim and was one of the organizers of
the Orange County Auto Company, becoming secretary and manager of the concern,
J. L. Finley of Pasadena being the president. The company occupied a large and
modern garage and show room at 111-113 North Lemon Street and did a flourishing
business handling several makes of cars. On June 1, 1920, Mr. Franklin severed his
connection with the company and took the agency for the .\uburn Beauty Six and
Gardner Four and is located on West Center Street where he meets his many friends
in his usual genial manner.

The marriage of G. R. Franklin united him with Ethel M. Jeans, a native of San
Francisco, and they have one daughter, Barbara. Fraternally, Mr. Franklin is a
member of Anaheim Lodge No. 1345, having demitted from Kingman (.\riz.) Lodge
No. 468, B. P. O. Elks. Since he has elected to make Anaheim his home he has become
interested in all movements that have for their aim the betterment of the community
and is rapidly building up a reputation among the business men of the county.

HARRY J. NYLEN. — Numbered among the newer residents of Orange County
who are making a success of citrus culture is H. J. Nylen. whose ranch is located on
Orange Avenue, near Anaheim. Although he has lived in Orange County but a short
time, Mr. Nylen is no stranger to California, as he previously resided at Whittier,
where his father's family located in 1900.

H. J. Nylen was born in Corry, Erie County, Pa., on May 30, 1872. the son of
J. T. and Olive Nylen, whose family consisted of five children, three of whom are
living in California. The mother passed away on January 21, 1917; the father still
resides at Whittier. H. J. Nylen followed the barber's trade in Whittier for nine years,
after which he engaged in agriculture and citrus culture and then went to Hemet. bought
twenty acres and set it out to peaches and apricots. Seven years later they sold out and
spent one year in Santa Ana. In 1916 he located on a ranch in West Anaheim, which
he devoted to citrus growing, and where he made many needed improvements by
setting out Valencia oranges. He sold the ranch in January, 1920, and took up his
residence in Anaheim.

On October 10, 1907, Mr. Nylen was united in marriage with Mary Elizabeth
Lark, a native of Illinois, born in McDonough County, and the daughter of Mrs.
Caroline Lark, who came to California in 1900. One son, John, now deceased, was
born to them. Fraternally Mr. Nylen has been an Odd Fellow, and also a member of
the Modern Woodmen lodge at Hemet. He and his wife belong to the Christian Church.

WILLIAM EDWARD DUCKWORTH.— An experienced merchant who has
attended strictly to business, and in doing so has established a flourishing trade in feed,
fuel, seeds and ice, as well as all kinds of poultry supplies, is William Edward Duck-
worth, who was born at Hutchinson. Kans., on November 26, 1885. His father was
John W. Duckworfh, born in Iowa, while his mother was Emma Handy before her
marriage, and a native of Illinois. They now live retired in Anaheim, and of their three
children Wm. E. is second oldest. The oldest is Guy E., a merchant in Honolulu.
The youngest is Mrs. Lola Pendleton of Pasadena.

When William was still a child, the family came to California in 1895, and under
the inspiring environment of the Golden State he was reared and educated. He first
attended the grammar and then the high school of .Anaheim; and after that, for several
years, assisted his father in mercantile business. Then he engaged in blacksmithing and
the sale of implements; and in each of these endeavors he proved his ability to under-
stand the wants of the public, and to please and give convenience to his patrons by
anticipating their desires.



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1413

In 1907 Mr. Duckworth established his present business, in which he has been very
successful, being now the largest individual business of the kind in Anaheim. He
belongs to the Board of Trade and the Merchants Association, and whenever there is
anything to be done under their leadership, William Duckworth is one of the lirst to
volunteer to put his shoulder to the wheel.

When, on August 16, 1904, Mr. Duckworth was married, he took for his bride
Miss Gertrude Crippen of Anaheim; and two children have blessed their fortunate
union, John and Guy Duckworth. The family attend the Presbyterian Church. Mr.
Duckworth is a Republican in national politics, and greatly interested in civic duty and
reforms. He is an Elk. and belongs to the Knights of Pythias and the Woodmen of
the World.

BERNARD R. MASTERS.— Among the enterprising and successful young ranch-
ers of the Anaheim district, one who has been a citizen of Orange County from a
young lad, is Bernard R. Masters, lessee of a ten-acre ranch on Dale Street, one-
quarter of a mile north of the County Road.

He is a native of Nebraska, born at College View, March 6. 1892. the son of
John and Bettie Masters, natives of Illinois and Norway, respectively. John Masters
was by trade a wagonmaker and followed this occupation most of his lifetime. In
1898 John Masters migrated to California and, after spending two years in the Golden
State, sent for his family to join him in the land of sunshine and flowers. In 1900 he
purchased the place now operated by his son, Bernard R. Masters. John Masters is still
living and resides at his ranch; his loving and faithful wife passed away to the Great
Beyond in 1916. Their family consisted of eight children, seven of whom are living, and
residents of California.

In 1900, when Mr. Masters purchased his present ranch, the land was used as a
barley field and possessed a flowing well. Since that tiine many improvements have
been made, the land set out to citrus fruit and appropriate buildings erected. The
original well finally failed to supply the much-needed water for the development of the
ranch, but another well, with a seven-inch bore sunk 127 feet, supplies sufficient water,
by a powerful pumping plant, to irrigate the entire place.

Bernard R. Masters received his early education in the splendid public school of
his district and has grown to manhood in this community where he is highly esteemed
for his manly qualities and loyal support of all worthy movements for the development
of the county's best interests.

Disregarding the superstitution of Friday the thirteenth, Bernard R. Masters was
united in marriage on Friday, December 13, 1918, with Miss Catherine, daughter of
Mrs. Mary McDougall. She is a native daughter, born at Lancaster, Los Angeles
County, and they have one daughter, Bettie Mary Masters. The McDougall family
moved to California the same year in which the Masters located in Orange County.
Mr. McDougall was a prominent stockman and passed away in Lancaster. Mr. and
Mrs. Bernard Masters have a large circle of warm friends in their communit\-. In
politics Mr. Masters is a Republican.

EDWARD W. LEHMBERG.— Thrift and frugality are characteristics which
usually liring success to the man who consistently practices them in his business. It
is to these traits of character that can be attributed the rapid strides that Edward D.
Lehmberg has made in the citrus industry since coming to Orange County, when his
financial assets amounted to but two dollars in cash. At the present time he is the
owner of a ten-acre ranch devoted to citrus fruit, located on Brookhurst Road, in the
Anaheim district.

This progressive young rancher was born in Illinois on June 5, 1893. and is the
adopted son of William and Annie Miller. His mother died when he was but an
infant, but his foster parents gave him the same loving care and attention as though he
had been their own child. In subsequent years, after learning that his father was living,
and that Mr. and Mrs. Miller were his foster parents, he took the surname of his
father, Lehmberg.

Edward W. Lehmberg was reared and educated in Illinois by Mr. and Mrs. Miller
and when old enough he chose agriculture for his vocation. In 1911 he left their home
to seek his fortune in the West, locating that year in Orange County, where he has
since resided. At first he was employed on a ranch, but being thrifty and possessed
of a progressive spirit he wisely saved his money and today is the owner of a well
kept and profitable citrus orchard.

On February 24, 1916, Mr. Lehmberg was united in marriage with Miss Lillian
Otte, a native of Iowa, and the daughter of Claus and Catherine Otte, who have lived
in the Olive district of Orange County since 1906. Two children have been born to
Mr. and Mrs. Lehmberg: Lola C. and Roger W. They attend the Lutheran Church
and are highly respected among their ever widening circle of friends.



1414 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

HUGO J. LAMB. — A favorite son of western Orange County who is fast rising
into prominence and influence, is Hugo J. Lamb, who is also a very successful beet
and bean raiser, operating his ranch of 144 acres, but resides in Santa Ana. He was
born at New Hope, in Orange County, on December 9, 1888, the fourth of the five living
children of the late W. D. and Elizabeth (Holt) Lamb. The other four children are:
Mrs. E. J. Levengood, of Pomona; Walter D. Lamb, who resides at 415 West Walnut
Street, in Santa Ana; Mrs. G. L. Harper, the wife of the rancher living on Mrs. Eliza-
beth Lamb's ranch; and Earl A. Lamb, also a rancher. Hugo J. grew up in western
Orange County, and saw the Gospel Swamp, as the country used to be called, in its
native state of jungle, tules, willows and peat bogs. He attended the Talbert grammar
school, which is known by the name of the Fountain Valley grammar school; and
being ambitious of obtaining as good an education as was possible, he also pursued the
courses of the Huntington Beach high school.

At the age of twenty, March 3, 1909, Mr. Lamb was married at Santa Ana to
Miss Effie Stockton, born in Arkansas, a daughter of the late J. T. Stockton of Winters-
burg. Their union has been a singularly happy one, and was blessed with the birth of
two children, Lois and Alice. Mr. Lamb belongs to Santa Ana Lodge, No. 794, B. P.
O. Elks, and in politics aims to support only the best men and the best principles. He
is serving as a member of the Orange County grand jury. Foresight and the appli-
cation of the last word in science to the problems of agriculture characterize the manner
in which Mr. Lamb operates. He uses twenty horses for his farm work, and both a
Holt forty-five horsepower tractor and a tractor of the Sampson make. All the other
appliances of his well-kept farm are thoroughly up to date. Although still operating
the farm he resides with his family in his residence at 530 South Sycamore Street,
Santa Ana.

RUDOLPH MEGER. — A progressive, successful rancher whose home-place im-
provements have added materially both to the wealth and the attractiveness of Orange
County, is Rudolph Meger. who owns and operates ten acres devoted to choice oranges,
a quarter of a mile south of Broadway and east of Brookhurst Street, Anaheim. When
he purchased the property, in 1913. it was in a very unimproved condition; but it was
not long before he had set out 300 trees which will soon be in full bearing condition.
He continued his labors and experiments, and he has been able to make many other
desirable improvements on his ranch, converting the land into a most desirable country
estate. Mr. Meger was born in Russia-Poland, on March 10, 1884, and is the son of
Gotlieb and Elvina Meger, natives of the same northern country. No less than eleven
of the fourteen children born to his parents are now in America, and of these, nine
are in California and seven are in Orange County.

As early as 1902 Mr. Meger came to Orange County, and having always followed
agricultural pursuits, he had less difficulty than many in establishing himself amid new
environments. He has also always worked hard, and as a reward he has seen a profit-
able homestead spring into existence for himself and family, if not in a single night,
then by such steady degrees as give heart and satisfaction to the worker. What he
and his worthy family have, they may fairly be said to have made with their own
hands, and so should be credited with the favorable results.

Successful and assured of even more success, smiling at a world that beamed and
smiled at him. Mr. Meger on July 3, 1912, was married to Miss Tina Edinger, the
daughter of Henry and Elizabeth Edinger; and three children have blessed their
fortunate union. They are Ruth, Edward and Henry. Mrs. Meger was also born in
Russia, in 1890, and was a mere babe when she came to the United States, so that she
has grown up under the Stars and Stripes.

WALTER A. LUCE. — A young, enterprising rancher of the type which can never
be restrained from forging ahead and making for itself a most honorable place in the
agricultural world, is Walter A. Luce, who has been a resident of California since 1906.
He is a native of Hazardville, Conn., where he was born on October 30, 1886, and is
the son of Walter and Mary Luce, the former a native of Connecticut, the latter having
first seen the light in Germany. Besides our subject, these worthy folks had another
son, Frank, who is now a painting contractor in Anaheim.

The family migrated to Nebraska when Walter was a small boy, and there he
was educated, enjoying the advantage of both a grammar school and a high school
training. Early in life, he entered the dry goods trade in Omaha, and in time he
specialized in millinery. He served as a clerk in Omaha, then became a millinery
buyer there, in the store where he was employed, then went to Houston, Texas, in the
same capacity; later he went to New York City and from there came to Los Angeles,
Cal., in 1906. as millinery buyer for the Broadway Department Store. He followed this
business until coming to Anaheim in 1917 to take charge of the orange and lemon ranch



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1417

that had been purchased by his mother, three miles west of Anaheim on the boulevard,
in that year, and since that time he has applied himself steadily to the task of making
the place a paying proposition and how well he has succeeded is shown by the returns
from the acreage. He was married in 1914 to Miss Caroline Hartman. Mr. Luce's
father died in 1891 and the widow is making her home in Anaheim.

The Luces have brought their acreage up to a high and very creditable state of
production, and no doubt their excellent well and pumping plant, installed according
to the most up-to-date plans, have had much to do with the development. The well is
250 feet deep with a ten-inch bore, affording a capacity of eighty inches of vi'ater; and
the pump is one of the best pieces of machinery for miles around and operated by
electricity. Anaheim has always welcomed such progressive citizens as Mr. Luce and
his near-of-kin, and well may they be proud of them, for they are the sort that, in
building for themselves, also build and upbuild for others.

GEORGE McNeil. — A resident of Buena Park, where he owns and operates a
fruit ranch on Orangethorpe Avenue, George McNeil has been a valued citizen of
Orange County for the past fourteen years. Mr. McNeil comes from good old New
England stock, being born in Deering, Hillsboro County, N. H., June 2, 1863, the son
of William and Elizabeth (McQuesten) McNeil, who were also natives of that state
and both passed away there. To them were born four children, and two of them are
still living — a sister, Anna, who still resides in the East, and George, the subject of this
review. He was reared in his native state and after he had completed his education in
the schools of his locality, he spent several years as a clerk in a mercantile establish-
ment. When he became of age, however, he decided to try his fortune in the great
western country, of which he had heard such glowing tales. Accordingly he made the
long journey across the continent, reaching California in 1894. Locating in Los Angeles,
he spent five years as clerk in a store, but with the exception of that period, all his
time has been spent in agricultural pursuits.

In 1906, Mr. McNeil decided to locate in Orange County, being attracted there
by the wonderful successes being made in fruit growing. He purchased a place of nine
acres on Orangethorpe Avenue, and he has ever since made this his home. His ranch
is at present devoted to oranges, walnuts, and fruits in general. He is working to the
end, however, of devoting all his acreage to the citrus industry. All the improvements
on the place have been made by himself.

Mr. McNeil's marriage occurred in 1900, in Los Angeles, when he was united to
Miss Lillie E. Tubbs, also a native of New Hampshire, and the daughter of Alvin and
Jennie Tubbs. Their home has been blessed with a son and a daughter, Alvin G.
and Ethel C, attending Pomona College. Mr. McNeil is prominent in the Masonic fra-
ternity, where he holds the office of master in Buena Park Lodge No. 357, F. & A. M.
He has also been honored with a seat on the school board, which he has held since
1912. He is a Republican in national politics. He is a worth}' citizen who has won the
entire confidence of a large circle of friends through his genial personality.

FRED PEITZKE. — Among the successful growers of oranges and walnuts in the
Anaheim district is Fred Peitzke, whose home is on Stanton Street, near the County
Highway. Mr. Peitzke is a native of Southern Iowa, where he was born on August
24, 1877, a son of William and Ruah Peitzke. The family of William Peitzke consisted
of twelve children, and when Fred was one year of age his parents removed to Wright
County, Iowa, where he was reared and educated. During his younger days he followed
the cattle business from the age of eight until he was seventeen. Endowed by nature
with an unusually large and virile physique, fearless and courageous of spirit, it is not
strange that such a man should be sought to fill the position of city marshal of Kaw
City, Okla. In the early days in this territory, men were not chosen for this hazardous
position because of political affiliations or social relations, the chief requisite being a
good shot and one who could get his man. While filling this position Mr. Peitzke,
although equipped with the usual allotment of arms and ammunition while on duty,
seldom resorted to their use in capturing his man, but. with his firm grip on the person
of the lawbreaker, the criminal always submitted. Mr. Peitzke always considered his
powerful hands his best weapons at close range.

In 1913 Mr. Peitzke migrated to California and took up his residence near Ana-
heim, Orange Count}-, on Stanton Street on his father's property. He bought five
acres where he now lives and made all the improvements. Here he has successfully
and most profitably cultivated oranges; some of his orange trees are now six years old.

Mr. Peitzke's marriage occurred in 1903. when he was united with Miss Ellen
Fullington. Fraternally he is a member of Ridgely Lodge, I. O. O. F., at Black-
well, Okla., and is also a member of the Orange and Walnut Growers Associations of
Anaheim. Mr. Peitzke's father and family came to California in 1910, and three sons
and a daughter are now residents of Southern California.



1418 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

DR. WILLIAM M. CHAMBERS.— A retired dentist, who successfully practiced
his profession many years in Mexico and Central America, Dr. William M. Chambers
owns and operates a fine ranch of forty-one acres situated one quarter mile west of the
State Highway, on Katella Road, in the Anaheim section of Orange County. His
ranch is devoted to walnuts and oranges and was settled by his father. Dr. William
Chambers, in 1890, who purchased the land in its virgin state from John Hannah.

Dr. William M. Chambers, of this review, is a son of William and Martha Cham-
bers, natives of Pennsylvania, who lived near Philadelphia and were descendants of
Quaker families. William Chambers, Sr., was a dentist of high repute and practiced his
profession many years in Bogota, Colombia, South America, where he located in 1852,
and here Dr. Chambers was born in 1866. His father moved to California in 1890,
locating on the ranch now occupied by his son, and here he passed away in 1893; his
widow still survives and is now a resident of Los .Angeles. Dr. Chambers was edu-
cated at the University of Pennsylvania, from which institution he graduated with the
degree of D.D.S., in 1886. Afterwards, for nine years, he practiced his profession in
Guatemala City, Central America, and from 1898 to 1911 he was located at Puebla,
Mexico, where he practiced dentistry and was for ten years the consular agent for the
United States, being the predecessor of William O. Jenkins, whose imprisonment by the
Mexican authorities caused such widespread discussion.

In 1911, Dr. Chambers returned to the United States and settled on the old home-
stead near Anaheim. He made many improvements, set out trees, installed a water
system for irrigation and erected a modern residence, which has added much to the
attractiveness of the place. In addition to raising walnuts and oranges, Dr. Chambers
is deeply interested in breeding pure-blooded Chester-White hogs, his stock being
acknowledged by experts among the best in the state.

Dr. Chambers was married in 1889 to Miss Jennie Berley. a native of Lousiana,
and four children have been born to them, and three of them are now living: Olive,
Fenner and Amanda.

CHARLES S. COX. — Among the citrus fruit growers of California can be found
men from every state in the Union — men of virility and strength of purpose who have
had the courage and energy to seek new fields in which to make their homes and
fortunes. A native of Hendricks County, Ind., Charles S. Cox, who now has an orange
and lemon grove east of Cypress, migrated to California in 1897. His parents, Daniel
and Elizabeth Cox were both natives of Indiana and there their eleven children were
born. The father died in 1890, but Mrs. Cox is still living, aged eighty-eight years.
Charles S., who was born in January, 1857, is the only member of the family in
the State of California.

On coming to California Mr. Cox first located near Morgan Hill in Santa Clara
County, where he purchased a forty-acre ranch devoted exclusively to prunes. He
remained in Santa Clara County until February, 1907, when he removed to Madera
County and one year later moved to Los Angeles County and then, in 1909, located on
his present holdings near Cypress, Orange County. When Mr. Cox bought this ranch
of twenty acres the land was in a barren state, and while the soil was rich and produc-
tive, it required steady, hard and intelligent work on the part of Mr. Cox to bring it
up to its present state of cultivation. He has devoted his holdings to the production of
oranges and lemons, and some of the trees are now bearing abundantly, bringing him
well deserved returns. Mr. Cox has an interest in the Wilcox well, which has a
sixteen-inch bore, and is capable of furnishing irrigation for several ranches. From this
well he expects to draw an extra supply of water, if it should ever be necessary.

In Hendricks County, Ind., August 19, 1879, Mr. Cox was united in marriage with
Miss Flora Ader, also born in Indiana, whose parents were William and Julia Ader.
Four children have, been born to them: Bernard is a structural iron worker and resides
in Portland, Ore.; during the World War he served in the Spruce Division of the
Aviation Corps; Ernest is a shipfitter and marine engineer and is employed on a vessel
in the Pacific trade; Walter is a guarantee marine engineer and during the war was
inspector for the U. S. Shipping Board at Seattle, Wash.; and Herbert is a graduate in
the first class with eight members from the State Polytechnic at San Luis Obispo; he
is an electrician in the employ of the Edison Company and lives with his wife and son,
James Leslie, in Eagle Rock. Mr. and Mrs. Cox are entitled to much praise for the
progress their sons have made in their chosen pursuits, since their home training and
education have fitted them in a high degree for the advancement they are making.
Mr. Cox is a member of the Cooperative Orange Growers Association at Anaheim. For
more than thirty-six years he has consistently voted the Prohibition ticket and has
siipported all uplift movements in the county that have been brought to his notice.




^^^^^^^^ "^ <^^^^^7'V^^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1421

JOHN C. CORDES. — Orange County is fortunate in the number of its real estate



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 158 of 191)