Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 161 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 161 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


■previously married, at Cleveland, Miss Millie Mount, and he was the head of a family of
two children when he first saw the City of the Angels. Later, he came to Santa Ana,
as agent for the Santa Fe; and until three years ago, he made his home there, although
fifteen years ago he quit railroading and embarked in lumbering instead, to the great
benefit and satisfaction of Balboa, Newport Beach and Harper precinct, all of which
places, thanks in part to the Newport Beach Lumber Company, are building up rapidly
and at the greatest economic advantage. Three of Mr. and Mrs. Crosier's children are
still living, and they are Mildred I., Florence B. and Fred J. Crosier, and with their
parents they live at Balboa. They attend the First Baptist Church at Santa Ana, mem-
bership in which Mr. Crosier has had for years, and where he is and has long been
a deacon.

The Newport Beach Lumber Company has had an interesting history with a
significance greater than that of mere commercial interest. Originally, the yard was
started by the Griffith Lumber Company and the Pendleton Lumber Company, who
owned it jointly; and in 1915 Mr. Crosier bought out the half-interest of the Griffith
concern, and two years later the other half-interest of the Pendleton Company. It'is
the only yard at Newport Beach, and in its supplying of lumber, roofing, cement, stucco,
and builders supplies generally it renders an invaluable service to residents and mer-
chants for miles around.

VERNON C. MYERS.— One of the most popular city officials of Fullerton.
Vernon C. Myers, the fearless and courageous city marshal, is a native of Saint Joseph,
Mich., where he was born March 20. 1885. In 1900 he came to California and during
his boyhood days was engaged as a bell-boy in various hotels in California, principally
in the cities of Stockton, Sacramento and Fresno. In 1901 he became possessed of a
desire to see more of the world, to engage in a more adventurous life, and to fulfill his
earnest longing for a complete change of environment took a trip to Dawson, Alaska,
where he remained for one year and then returned to California. In 1902 he became a
professional jockey and was engaged in horse racing at Emeryville, Cal., and at Port-
land, Ore. Among the well-known sportsmen who employed him were Billy Murray
and Walter Jennings. In the course of time he became too heavy for a jockey and so
gave up the sport and sought other employment, accepting a position with the Los
Angeles Gas Company for a time, after which he was appointed to a place on the
police force of Los Angeles, becoming a motorcycle officer, patrolling the highways in
search of speeders. He spent five years in the service of the police department, two of
which he was located in the Sawtelle district.




-2:^^^^:^:/^l^2^*f-x^.^.^^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1437

In the spring" of 1917, Mr. Myers resigned to accept his present responsible post as
city marshal of Fullerton, where he has been eminently successful in the discharge of
his duties and has by his undaunted spirit and intrepid action freed Fullerton of
criminals, to a large extent, and reduced the city's record of crimes to a minimum. Mr.
Myers conducts the affairs of his office along the latest methods established in police
departments of large cities. He has introduced into the Fullerton department the
finger print system of identification, as well as the photographing of criminals. Few
towns the size of Fullerton can boast of having such an up-to-date system. Among
notorious holdup men Marshal Myers succeeded in capturing were Joe Marino and
Ralph Carvornal. Mr. Myers is the owner of a pair of English bloodhounds, from the
celebrated Rockwood Kennels at Lexington, Ky. He is training these dogs to become
experts in tracking criminals and believes that ninety per cent of Orange County
criminals could have been apprehended, if bloodhounds had been used. Mr. Myers has
already made a name for himself in the discharge of his official duties.

In 1911, Mr. Myers was united in marriage with Miss Alma J. Finch of Minne-
apolis. Minn., and they are the parents of three children: James, Delta and Luella.
Fraternally Mr. Myers is a member of Anaheim Lodge No. 1345, B. P. O. Elks and
of Fullerton Lodge of the Odd Fellows.

SAMUEL W. WHIPPO.— The efficient and successful foreman of the Fullerton
Mutual Orange Distributors Association, S. W. Whippo, was born at Parkers Landing.
Pa., January 21. 1889, a son of G. W. and Mary D. Whippo. The father was a rig
building contractor principally in Butler and Armstrong counties and was among the
pioneers of that section of the Pennsylvania oil fields. After finishing his school days,
Samuel assisted his father in the construction of oil rigs. Like many another ambitious
young man seeking greater opportunities for his abilities, Mr. Whippo migrated to
the Golden State, arriving in Orange County in June, 1908, where he immediately
secured employment with the Birch Oil Company, on the Birch lease in Brea Canyon,
later for the West Coast Oil Company at Olinda.

After spending five years in the oil fields, on January 1, 1914, he entered the
employ of the Fullerton Mutual Orange Distributors Association and worked in all
the departments of the packing house until he gained a thorough knowledge of the
business. At the expiration of four years, his service had been so efficient and loyal
to the company that his abilities were recognized and on January 1, 1917, he was
appointed to the responsible position of foreman of the plant. His close attention to
details and natural executive ability gained for him this position as an overseer of a
large number of employes, in whose welfare he takes the greatest interest and dis-
charges his duties with justice and impartiality to all.

In Anaheim, Mr. Whippo was married to Miss Bertha Rickenberg, a native of
Illinois. This union has been blessed with two children: Irene Alberta and Donald
Leon. Mr. Whippo is a member of the First Methodist Church of Fullerton.

ALEX. HENDERSON.— With all the sturdy characteristics of his Scottish an-
cestors, Alex. Henderson has made his way in life with no further aid than his own
determination to succeed, and the perseverance and steady application which make for
success in any walk of life. Born in the Parish of Leslie in Aberdeenshire, Scotland.
• March 31, 1866, when five years of age his parents, Peter and Margaret Henderson,
brought him to Ontario, Canada, locating in Winterburn, and there he was reared on
the farm and educated in the public schools. When nineteen years of age he was
apprenticed to the blacksmith's trade under Fleming Brothers at Ravenna, Gray County,
Ontario, where he received able instructions for a period of three years. After this
he followed the trade in Pt. Dover, then in Kitchener and next in Breslau. He had a
brother, Peter Henderson, who was employed by one of the pioneer oil companies in
the Puente field in California and through correspondence he became much interested
in the Pacific Coast country and concluded to cast in his lot in the land of sunshine
and flowers. Thus seeking new fields for his labors, in January, 1892, Mr. Henderson
arrived in Fullerton, Orange County, Cal., and here opened up a blacksmith shop on
Spadra Street. He was advised by the people round about that a shop would not pay
in that location, but he thought otherwise and his foresight proved his business sagacity,
for success attended his labors and for twenty-six years he was in business in Fuller-
ton. In 1912 he had invested in eighteen acres of raw land on East Orangethorpe
Avenue, which he planted to Valencia oranges; here he built his home, a fine two-story
structure, and can spend the rest of his days enjoying the beautiful surroundings made
possible by earlier years of energy and thrift. He also owns a five-acre walnut grove
on South Highland Avenue, and other town property in Fullerton. At the time he
retired from business, in 1914. he was one of the oldest blacksmiths in the county and
though he was still hale and hearty he quit to devote his time to his orange and
walnut orchards.



1438 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

In Ontario occurred Mr. Henderson's marriage to Miss Jessie Watt, a native of
Ontario, and one child has blessed this union, James, attending school in Fullerton.
She is also of Scotch descent, the daughter of Lawrence and Jessie (Smith) Watt, born
in Aberdenshire, Scotland, who settled in Canada. By his former marriage Mr. Hen-
derson had two daughters: Agnes Jessie, who died at 18; and Edith, Mrs. Anderson, of
Los Angeles. The family are members of the Presbyterian Church in Fullerton.

Mr. Henderson was made a Mason in Anaheim Lodge, F. & A. M., and was a
charter member of Fullerton Lodge No. 339, F. & A. M.. and he is also a member of the
Foresters. A warm friend and colleague of the late Chas. L. Ruddock, he served for
some time under him as deputy city marshal of Fullerton and was pronounced a very
able officer. He has from his first residence in Orange County been public-spirited to
a high degree, always interested in whatever meant the forwarding of the welfare of
his home community, and ready to back his interest with substantial help and the time
necessary for furthering such projects. Coming to this section of California at the
beginning of its upward climb, he has watched its development from small beginnings
just as his own aflairs have prospered, with a just pride in both his own unaided
achievements and the growth and advancement of his town and county.

THOMAS EADINGTON.— Another one of the many Englishmen who have con-
tributed so much, in one way or another, to the development of the best interests of
California, is Thomas Eadington, the efficient and afifable buyer and shipper of citrus
fruit located at Placentia. He was born at Lancaster, England, September 26, 1886, and
grew up on the banks of the Lune, not far from its entrance into the sea, near the hill
upon whose summit is the castle fortress, erected by John of Gaunt. His birthplace
is doubly interesting as the city which aflfords the title of Duke to the Prince of Wales.
Mr. Eadington's father was George Eadington, a business man and contractor of Lan-
caster, who married Mary E. PAnson. Both parents are now dead.

Having attended the excellent common schools of England, Thomas, at the age
of eighteen, took up stock brokerage in his native city, and continued a broker for
several years. In 1911, he migrated to the United States, and almost immediately came
to California. At Los Angeles he joined a firm of engineers and contractors as secre-
tary and treasurer, but in 1915 he came to Fullerton as the secretary of the Benchley
Fruit Company, in time becoming also treasurer and manager of the concern, which
prospered greatly under his initiative and at the same time was an active member of
the Fullerton Board of Trade. In 1920 he resigned and established himself as a fruit
shipper under the name of Placentia Packing Company, with packing houses in Pla-
centia, where as an independent shipper he makes a specialty of shipping all citrus
fruits, i. e., oranges, lemons and grapefruit. He has remodeled his packing house, so
now it is most modern and up to the minute for grading and packing citrus fruits.

On July 22, 1913, at Greeley, Nebr., Mr. Eadington was married to Miss Mary
W. Cottam, also a native of Lancaster, England, and the daughter of James and Susanna
Cottam; and four children have blessed the union and added to the delightful social
ties of the family. They are Thomas J., Mary W., Margaret E. and Grace M. Eading-
ton. The family attend the Roman Catholic Church; Mr. Eadington belongs to the
Knights of Columbus, and he is also a member of the Elks of Anaheim, as well as of
the Fullerton Club. Fond of fishing and tennis — for, as an Englishman, he must needs
have some sport — Mr. Eadington rejoices in outdoor life; so that it is perfectly natural
that he should be appreciative of all that Orange County, above all other counties,
affords to the nature lover and the health seeker, and always ready to "boost" it when
he can. It is also natural that he should look upon Fullerton, where he makes his
residence, as the choicest home spot in the county.

ELDO R. WEST.— The life of Eldo R. West, the efficient superintendent of the
Yorba Linda Water Company, and a prominent citrus grower of Yorba Linda, began
in Jennings County, Ind., where he was born September 27, 1879. He was reared on a
farm and educated in the country schools, afterwards attending the Indianapolis Normal
School. He taught school in Indiana, and in the spring of 1909 came to California,
locating on a ranch at Whittier, vs-here he resided two years. He is a pioneer of the
Yorba Linda district, and came there before the town of Yorba Linda was in existence.
He purchased a ten-acre ranch, planted it to lemons and sold it in two years' time.
After coming to Yorba Linda he began working for the Yorba Linda Water Com-
pany, and in 1913 was made superintendent. The officers of the company are: J. H.
Barton, president; E. R. Walker, vice-president: J. W. Murray, secretary and treasurer.
Directors: G. W. Wells, G. F. Collins, Arthur Staley, Thomas Hughes and E. J. Her-
bert. The company furnishes water for irrigation and domestic use, and serves nearly
3.000 acres. It started with one well and two booster pumps, and now has four wells
and five booster pumps. The wells are 360 feet deep and water is forced through




/



CL'.



OU,-*-^



7



HISTORY OF ORAXGE COUNTY 1441

pipes under pressure. The main reservoir holds 4,500,000 gallons of water and the
second reservoir holds 1,000,000 gallons. The water is changed every twenty-four hours
and is of excellent quality and in tine condition. The company's main pipes are of
reinforced steel, and they have thirty-five miles of pipe line. A 240-horsepower gas
engine and new booster pump have recently been installed. Water for domestic pur-
poses is placed in the homes and measured by meter with a 100-pound pressure. The
company have also installed fire hydrants. The two reservoir sites are leased to the
General Petroleum Oil Company and the first well is a producer, thus adding a choice
asset to the company.

Mr. West married Miss Grace A. Milhous, of Indiana, and four children have
been born to them: M. Jessamyn, Myron E., Clara Carmon and Merle. Mr. West
built the Yorba Linda garage building, in which he was a half owner until he disposed
of his interest. He owns a five-acre ranch planted to Valencia oranges and grapefruit.
In his religious convictions he is a member of the Friends Church at Yorba Linda, and
fraternally is a Mason, member of Yorba Linda Lodge No. 469, F. & A. M., and of
Fullerton Chapter, R. A. M., and with his wife is a member of the Order of Eastern
Star. He is respected for his integrity and all who know him appreciate him for the
qualities of citizenship he has displayed during his residence at Yorba Linda.

WAIGHTSTILL A. MOORE.— Occupying an important position with the Stand-
ard Oil Company, Waightstill A. Moore, the company's special agent at Fullerton,
Cal., was born in Caldwell County, North Carolina, October 4, 1872. He acquired his
education in one of the private academies common to the South in those days, and in
1890, when eighteen years old, located at Manhattan, Kans., where he entered the
employ of the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad. He continued in the railway
business fourteen years, working his way through the various branches of road work
up to the position of conductor, then gave up railroading and engaged in the mercantile
business at Manhattan, Kans., following the occupation three years in that city. No-
vember 22, 1910, Mr. Moore came to California, locating at Los Angeles, where he
entered the employ of the Standard Oil Company as warehouseman, rising rapidly to
more important positions with the company. He was their special agent at Santa
Ana for two years, 1911 and 1912, and occupied the same position in Pasadena one
year, going thence to Slauson Junction station in the same capacity. He came to
Fullerton in 1917.

His marriage with Miss Nancy Witten, a native of Trenton, Mo., resulted in the
birth of two winsome children, Nancy E. and Mary Nell. Fraternally Mr. Moore is a
Blue Lodge Mason, a member of the Chapter and the Commandery, and a Shriner.
He is further associated fraternally with the Trenton, Mo., Lodge No. 801, B. P. O.
Elks, and is not only one of FuIIerton's successful, public spirited citizens, keenly
interested in Orange County, but a young man of more than ordinary ability who has
won the well-merited success that attends the earnest eflorts of a self-made man.

PHILIP W. DAMON.— As treasurer and manager of the Yorba Linda Citrus
.Association at Yorba Linda. Cal., Philip W. Damon has ably demonstrated his ability
as an executive and his good business judgment. He was born December 27, 1888, at
Concord, Mass., a city of interest from an historical standpoint and from the associa-
tions connected with it as the home of renowned literary celebrities of past days.
Young Philip's education was acquired in the public schools of his native city and supple-
mented with a course at business college. His first actual business experience was
acquired in Boston, Mass., where he held a position as clerk in the Old Colony Trust
Company and remained three years. He came to California in 1914 and started as an
orange picker in the orange groves at Uplands, San Bernardino County. After two
years at Uplands he removed to San Dimas, Los Angeles County, and followed the
same line of business, doing packing house work with the San Dimas Lemon Associa-
tion. He then became manager of the Fallbrook Citrus Association packing house at
Fallbrook, Cal., and in the fall of 1918 came to Yorba Linda, where he became asso-
ciated with the Yorba Linda Citrus Association. He was with the company six months
when he enlisted in the World War and became a member of the Three Hundred Forty-
eighth Field Artillery, Ninety-first Division. He trained at Camp Lewis, accompanied
his division overseas and trained in France. His regiment was just ready to go into
action when the armistice was signed and was only six miles behind the line during
the fighting. Then he spent three months with the Army of Occupation at Coblenz, Ger-
many, until he returned to New York in April. 1919, and was honorably discharged at
Camp Devens. Mass., the same month. After his discharge from the service he became
mana,ger of the Alta Loma Citrus Association at Alta Loma, holding the position four
months and going thence to Fullerton to become assistant district manager of the
Northern Orange County Fruit Exchange. He returned to Yorba Linda, November 15,



1442 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

1919, and was appointed secretary, treasurer and manager of the Yorba Linda Citrus
Association, the position he now holds. This company shipped 250 cars of fruit in
1919, and are members of the California Fruit Growers Exchange. Its officers are:
L. B. Pike, president; E. Albertson, of Whittier, vice-president; and P. W. Damon,
treasurer and manager. Directors: V. C. Dillingham, B. F. Foss, G. W. Wells, E.
Jones, and W. E. Swain, all of Yorba Linda. Fraternally Mr. Damon was made a
Mason in Corinthian Lodge, A. F. & A. M., Concord, Mass., as well as Concord
Chapter, R. A. M. A young man of ability and energy, his wide experience in the
citrus industry and thorough knowledge of the business make him an able and valuable
man for the position he occupies.

SYLVESTER W. MORROW.— .\ native son of Orange County and the son of
one of its most esteemed early settlers, George C. Morrow, Sylvester W. Morrow is
justly proud of his father's pioneer history, for it is due to the courageous spirit of
those who were identified with the early days of this vicinity that the present generation
enjoys much of its prosperity. Sylvester W. Morrow was born on the old family ranch
in Villa Park precinct, June 28, 1882, and has grown up in the environment of his
childhood days. He attended what was then known as the Mountain View school, now
the Villa Park grammar school. Being reared in a locality so largely given over to
citrus and walnut culture it was but natural that he early acquired a practical and
thorough knowledge of these industries and he now occupies the responsible position
of foreman of the 150-acre ranch of Ed Farnsworth, the Santa Ana banker and
financier. This choice property, which is devoted to oranges and walnuts, is now in
full bearing: until the present year it was part of the great Jotham Bixby ranch and is
one of the most valuable acreages in this district, and under the efficient and capable
supervision of Mr. Morrow it will undoubtedly yield even more handsome returns.

On November 20, 1918, Mr. Morrow was united in marriage with Miss Flossie
Essick, who was born and reared in Iowa, and they are the parents of one son, William
W. They make their home on the Farnsworth ranch, six miles northeast of Orange.
In 1909 Mr. Morrow was appointed state fire warden and he has served continuously
ever since and has often been called upon to take an active part in fighting forest fires.
Able, efficient and energetic, Mr. Morrow stands high in the regard of the community
as do all the members of his family. In fraternal circles he is a member of the Odd
Fellows Lodge at Orange.

JULIAN E. THOMAS. — A rancher who is a decided credit to the Fullerton com-
munity, first because of his character, his public-spiritedness and his willingness to par-
ticipate large-heartedly in all worthy local movements, and secondly on account of his
handsome orange grove which attests the owner's knowledge and care, is Julian E.
Thomas, who was born at Hendersonville, N. C, on October 28, 1860, the son of William
R. Thomas who had married Miss Minerva Dawson. Great-grandfather Thomas came
from Wales and settled in New Orleans; and Julian's grandfather was born in Orange-
burg, S. C, while his grandmother came from Newberry, S. C. Julian studied at the
Byers Academy near Hendersonville and at the Hendersonville College, while he stayed
at home and helped his father on his plantation. Then, on September 26, 1885, he was
married near that town to Miss Emma Hollingsworth, who was born and reared in
that vicinity and attended the same schools to which Julian had gone. She was the
daughter of Isaac and Katherine Hollingsworth, and grew up to become an artist in
the designing of dresses and millinery. The couple lived on the old Thomas plantation
until April 5. 1888, and then they came out to the Northwest and settled at Ellensburg,
Wash. There they engaged in cattle raising and general farming on a ranch of eighty
acres, and for sixteen years they pursued agriculture in that state.

In 1905, Mr. Thomas sold his Washington farm and came south to Fullerton; and
while making his home here, he followed carpentering for five years. He helped to
erect the Dean Block, the Shumaker Building and other notable structures, and with
C. H. Smith, the contractor, he engaged in building St. Agnes Church at the corner of
Vermont and West Adams streets, Los Angeles.

In 1907, Mr. Thomas bought a ranch on West Orangethorpe Avenue — seventeen
and a half acres near the Christlieb ranch; and when he had set out some two acres
with oranges, he sold the ranch to Stern and Goodman. In turn, he purchased from
Mr. Goodman six acres of vacant land on West Commonwealth and Nicholas avenues,
which he has set out to Valencia oranges. He built his own home on the ranch, and
there he lives in comfort, applying with his good wife the teachings of Christian
Science faith and practice. Two children have brought added happiness to this worthy
couple: Ralph is in business in Seattle; and Florence is employed at the Farmers and
Merchants Bank of Fullerton. Mr. and Mrs. Thomas take great pride in community
development work, and are always among the first to support good works, good schools
and other needed and possible reforms or progress.



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1443

FRED C. KRAUSE.— An Orange County financier influential in banking and
commercial circles because of his exceptional character, valuable experience and wise
leadership making for expansion and development on rational and permanent lines, is
Fred C. Krause, the president of the First National Bank of Fullerton, who was born
at Sumner, Iowa, on July 15, 1868. His father was Fred Krause, a native of Germany
who left the land of his birth because of the tyranny of military service, and who
pioneered in Iowa as a rancher. The parents are both deceased, but they are pleasantly



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 161 of 191)