Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 162 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 162 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


recalled in the community in which they lived and labored, as among the builders of
the state they adopted as their own.

The youngest child, Fred, enjoyed such advantages as the public school ofifered,
supplemented by three years in Upper Iowa University at Fayette, and four years in
the Northwestern College at Naperville, 111., from which he was graduated in 1895, with
the degree of A.B. Three years of additional study at the Pacific Theological Seminary
at Oakland gave him his Bachelor of Divinity parchment in 1899. after which he spent
seven years in the ministry of the Congregational Church, being pastor at East Oakland
and afterwards at Spokane, Wash. He then went to Southeastern Alaska, where he
was pastor of the Congregational Church at Douglas Island for one year and was
then appointed United States Commissioner at Fairbanks, filling the office almost four
years, when he resigned to enter the banking circles of Newport, Wash., where he
organized the Security State Bank, of which he was president for three years.

Selling out his Washington interests, he came south to California and Orange
County, and in 1911, bought a ranch at Anaheim, associated with Charles H. Eygabrood.
There he became one of the organizers of the Anaheim National Bank, of which he
was cashier and later president for five years. During this time, being interested in
civics, he served as president of the Associated Chambers of Commerce of Orange
County for one term. In March, 1917, he sold his interest in the bank, and then gave
his attention to his ranch and taking a prominent part in the different war drives,
serving as chairman of the local chapter of the American Red Cross.

In April, 1918. Mr. Krause purchased a large interest in the First National Bank
of Fullerton, of which he is the president, giving it all of his time and contributing
materially to the wonderful growth of the institution. He is also president of the
Fullerton Savings Bank, an affiliated institution. He is still interested in horticulture,
having five different groves in Orange County, most of them in the Richfield district.

On July 17, 1894, Mr. Krause was married at Dubuque, Iowa, to Miss Adelaide
V. Beck, a native of Iowa, who was a student at Northwestern College when they
first met, and has been the truest kind of a helpmate ever since. Two children were
born to them: Howard A. Krause is cashier of the First National Bank of Fullerton;
and Lucile is a student at the University of California at Berkeley. The family are
members of the Congregational Church, and Mr. Krause belongs to the Fullerton
Club and the Hacienda Country Club at La Habra. He is also a member of the Odd
Fellows and is a thirty-second degree Mason as well as a Shriner, When Mr. Krause
was a student at Upper Iowa University, he belonged to the National Guard, and as
a Republican he has sought to raise the standards of civic life, having rounded out a
career that will prove a model and an incentive for the emulation of young men.

WILLIAM E. SCHNITGER.— A painstaking, scientific grower of effective execu-
tive force and a worker in mechanical lines, so that he can help not only himself but
others in difficult, everyday problems, is William E. Schnitger, the owner of twenty
acres of the finest land near Garden Grove, devoted to oranges and walnuts and presi-
dent of the Garden Grove Walnut Growers Association. He was born near Water-
town, in Jefferson County, Wis., on September 5, 1874, the son of Adolph Schnitger,
who had married Caroline Hager. He attended the common schools of his neighbor-
hood and grew up on his father's farm, where he worked hard and faithfully, and early
developed his talents with all kinds of tools. When about twenty years old he accom-
panied his parents, and a brother and six sisters, to California, traveling hither on the
last excursion train out of Chicago over the Santa Fe, in November. 1893. Adolph
Schnitger had been in California the year previous and had bought forty acres now
situated across the road east of William Schnitger's property, known as the Langen-
berger Place; and there all went to work with a will. Within a week, however, a
younger sister, Ella, was suddenly taken sick and died; and since then his father has
passed to the Great Beyond. Mrs. Schnitger is still living, the center of a circle of
devoted friends, at Anaheim. There were nine children in the family: Mary, the wife
of Rev. J. Schneider, of Oakland; Edwin, of \\'atertown, W'is., who contemplates re-
moving to California; William E., the subject of our review; Lydia, the wife of Martin
Fisher, a gardener at Anaheim; Arthur Albert, who married Miss Helen Schneider, of
Garden Grove; Pauline, the wife of H. C. Meiser. the orange grower and nurseryman
at Fullerton; Ella, who died when she was eleven years old; Esther, a seamstress,



1444 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

residing with her mother at Anaheim; and Hattie, who resides at Salem, Ore., and is
the wife of Henry G. Carl, a contracting carpenter and builder.

In November, 1897, Mr. Schnitger was married to Geneva E. Sherwood, born in
Illinois. Not having children of their own they have adopted two boys, Ralph Merl,
and Donald Lincoln Schnitger. Following his marriage, for three years he rented, then
purchased his father's place of fifty acres, one and one-quarter miles northeast of Garden
Grove, and there he lived until selling out, when he purchased his present place about
1904. Having come to possess exceptional common sense and good judgment, partly
as the result of his self-development, Mr. Schnitger made no mistake in choosing the land
lying on the north side of the road running east to Orange, only five miles away, and
within twenty-five minutes' walk of Garden Grove. Here he has planted Valencia
oranges and walnuts, and has brought his place up to a very high state of cultivation.
Using scientific and up-to-date methods, and being systematic, he naturally reaps the
desired-for results. He has built a very good country residence, and there he and his
good wife dispense a generous hospitality. Both his weedless ranch, his symmetrical
yards and his clean and well kept buildings speak of the orderly habits of the owner,
and his belief in what makes for advancement and progress.

The qualities that made him so successful in matters of business, doubtless had
much to do with his selection as one of the directors of the Garden Grove Walnut
Growers Association, of which he was first a vice-president and then president. To
the latter office he was elevated in 1919; and, concerning the deserved honor of re-
election, the Garden Grove News of January 30, 1920, has this to say:

"The Garden Grove Walnut Association held the annual election of directors
at the packing house Saturday afternoon. All the old directors were reelected,
the roster for the ensuing year being as follows: William Schnitger, F. E. Farns-
worth, N. I. Rice, George Cook and F. B. Cleveland. The directors reelected
officers as follows: William Schnitger, president; F. E. Farnsworth, vice-presi-
dent; C. K. Lee, secretary and manager; George Cook, representative to the Cali-
fornia Walnut Growers Association.

"The Association is fortunate in having exceptionally efficient officers, and
the business is being handled in a capable and thoroughly satisfactory manner."

VICENTE G. YORBA. — Among the most progressive and, therefore, the most
influential, of all the descendants bearing the time-honored name of Yorba, should
be mentioned Vicente G. Yorba, the road overseer, rancher and storekeeper at Peralta,
the picturesque country village with its type of the Spanish settlement, on the Santa
Ana Canyon Boulevard Road, about five miles northeast of Olive, in one of the most
beautiful scenic portions of Orange County. He comes of the proud old Catalonian
family who once owned the extensive Yorba Rancho.

He was born at Peralta, and is a son of the late Vicente Yorba, and a grandson
of Bernardo Yorba, whose family originated in Catalonia, Spain; he first saw the
light on December 13, 1874. He attended the Peralta district school, and was married
in San Diego to Miss Theresa Marron, a native of that city, and they have had
four children: Sophia, Rowena, Leonzio and Horace, all of whom, with himself, attend
the Catholic Church. Mr. Yorba's mother was Anita Peralta, a daughter of Rafael
Peralta, one of the owners of the Rancho Santa Ana de Santiago, an historical cir-
cumstance the more interesting because of the Yorba associations. The Yorba family
owned the great Spanish Grant known as the Rancho Yorba, comprising 167,000
acres, and extending from the Santa Ana Mountains to the Pacific Ocean. V. G.
Yorba's mother was Vicente Yorba's first wife, and when our subject was about
fifteen years old, she died, leaving two children — Philippa, now the wife of Juan
Farias, a rancher at Santa Monica, and Vicente G. The father married again, choosing
Erolinda Cota of Santa Monica as his wife, by whom he had six children — two boys
and four girls. She is still living, and is active as a rancher on the Santa Ana Canyon
Road, northeast of Olive. Vicente Yorba, the father, died in 1903, aged sixty-five.

When the father remarried, V. G. Yorba pushed out into the world for himself,
and so early embarked upon that career which has made him so self-reliant. He first
purchased the ranch he now owns, a very valuable place, beautifully located upon
the highway, and there he has built a fine bungalow country house, in which he and
his excellent family enjoy all the advantages of up-to-date American life. There are
thirty-one acres in the ranch, devoted to Valencia oranges and walnuts. He also
bought a ranch at Yorba which he set out to Valencia oranges, now bearing, which
he still owns. He is also the owner of a general merchandise store at Peralta, as
well as a ranch at Pomona. He is, besides, the popular road overseer, and is serving
under Supervisor N. T. Edwards. He is a trustee of the Peralta school district, and
for many years has been clerk of the school board. In national politics he is a
Republican.




^ -^>^^=7'-^^<-^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COL-XTY 1447

HAROLD L. WILKINS, V. S.— Though a native of a far-off Eastern state. Harold
L. Wilkins has spent most of his youth and mature life in Orange County, and has
returned from his military experience with fresh enthusiasm for the practice of his
profession in his home environment. Born in the town of Saint Clair, Mich., August
24, 1890, when he was seven years old the family moved to Oklahoma, and in 1910.
located in Anaheim. Mr. Wilkins obtained his education in the public schools and
linished with a course in the high school at Anaheim, and in Throop College, Pasadena.

Deciding on the profession of veterinary surgeon, he entered the San Francisco
Veterinary College, and after a three-year course, graduated from that institution in
1917. While engaged in the practice of his profession in San Francisco, he answered
the call of his country, and enlisted in the Twenty-fourth Veterinary Unit, Veterinary
Reserve Corps, and was called into service just as the armistice was signed and the
World War brought to an end. He then resumed his practice in San Francisco, and
in June, 1919, returned to Orange County and started his practice in Anaheim and
Fulferton, with offices at 219 Chestnut Street, Anaheim, and at the Eureka Stables. 201
South Spadra Street, FuUerton, as a surgeon and dentist, treating horses, cattle, dogs
and cats, and, being a lover of animals and understanding them, he has met with
splendid success in his work in their behalf.

The marriage of Mr. Wilkins, which occurred in Anaheim, united him with Mary
Ranker, a native of Ohio, and one daughter has blessed their union, Virginia. Mr.
Wilkins is a member of Anaheim Post, American Legion, and with true American
spirit does his share toward promoting the welfare of his home county.

HOWARD A. KRAUSE. — A very aggressive young banker, from whose inspiring
leadership much may be expected for the future progress of Fullerton, is Howard A.
Krause, cashier of the First National Bank of Fullerton and son of Fred C. Krause, the
bank's president, whose interesting career is elsewhere sketched in detail in this volume.
His father, who had been a clergyman of the Congregational Church, and had spent
some time in Alaska as a United States Commissioner, finally took up banking in
Washington, and organized and presided over the Security State Bank at Newport; and
so it came about that Howard was born at Hood River, Ore., on July 9, 1896. His
mother was Miss Adelaide V. Beck before her marriage, a native of Iowa and a fellow
student at one time with Mr. Krause at Northwestern College, the latter having also
hailed from Iowa.

The public schools, including a first-class high school, helped Howard to prepare
for his part in the world, and two years at Pomona College finished his academic
career. Entering the bank with his father, he made progress quite as rapidly in winning
friends for himself and the institution as in mastering the many and intricate details
of financial and commercial and banking procedure. Few, if any, young men in
Fullerton enjoy a more deserved popularity.

On April 10, 1917, Howard Krause was married to Miss Lila G. Foss. the cere-
mony taking place at Anaheim; the bride is a native of Corona, Cal. One child.
Harriett, has gladdened the parents' hearts.

Mr. Krause is a Republican in national political affairs, though admirably non-
partisan as to local issues, and ready at all times to cooperate in work for the advance-
ment of the nation, the state, the county or the town. He belongs to the Masons, and
there enjoys the popularity natural for one of his affability and progressiveness.

WILLIAM H. ROBINSON.— A well-known and, what is infinitely more desirable,
a well-liked citizen, William H. Robinson, the rancher of East Orangethorpe Avenue,
has enjoyed an enviable association with Fullerton so that he is indeed a part of the
history of the town. He was born near Barrie, Ontario, Canada, on November 14, 1879.
the son of Moses Robinson, a native of the North of Ireland who came to Canada
when he was two years old, and who eventually married Miss Matilda Lockard of
Scotland. She died when William was six years of age, and his education in Ontario
was continued without her guiding care. His father now makes his home in Barrie.
When thirteen years of age William began to earn his own livelihood, continuing on
farms until 1896, when he came to New York State. From 1896 to 1900, he spent four
years in the restaurant business in Rochester. In 1900 he went to New York City and
acted as cashier in hotels for three years, and for a summer he was dining room cashier
on the coastwise steamer, Shinnecock. In 1903, he journeyed to Detroit to attend the
wedding of a brother, and from there he reached Chicago, where he spent a year. Then
he went to St. Louis and worked in the St. Nicholas Hotel during the Exposition.

In 1904, Mr. Robinson came to Los Angeles on a tour to see California, and he
has since made this state his home. At first he opened a cigar business, but it satis-
fied him for only a year. Then he came to Fullerton. and for ten years worked for
Cline Bros., the grocers. He purchased four and a half acres on West Amerige Ave-



1448 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

nue. but in 1919 subdivided a part into lots, continuing Wilshire Avenue through it, and
sold the balance to the Fullerton Home Builders, to be subdivided into lots. On
November 25 of the same year he bought a ranch of twenty acres on East Orange-
thorpe Avenue, near the Santa Fe Railroad, and on December 4 he moved onto the
farm. Six acres are devoted to lemons, five to Valencia oranges, and nine acres to
walnuts; and from a rundown ranch he has made it a first class grove. He owns
nineteen shares in the Anaheim Union Water Company.

At Fullerton on October 31, 1906, Mr. Robinson was married to Miss Ida Morri-
son, a native of Ontario. She lived with her aunt, Mrs. Harry Scott, in Buffalo, N. Y.,
and as Mr. Scott was a prominent citizen and an equally prominent Mason, she en-
joyed various advantages. Two children blessed this fortunate union; the elder is
Edith Matilda, the younger Harry William Robinson; and they both attend the
Fullerton grammar school. The family attend the Christian Church at Fullerton, and
Mr. Robinson is a member of Fullerton Lodge No. 339, F. & A. M., of Fullerton Chap-
ter No. 90, R. A. M.. and Santa Ana Council No. 14, R. & S. M., and politically is a
Republican, with decided preferences as to the fitness of men for office regardless of
party ties. Mrs. Robinson is a member of the Order of Eastern Star and the Ebell Club,
Fullerton. During the ten years in which Mr. Robinson was with Cline Bros., he
served on the Volunteer Fire Department of Fullerton, serving as assistant chief for
three years, and six months he filled the chief's place, and he has the record of having
been the promptest member. He also served as truant officer of the Fullerton grammar
school, and from 1915 to 1919 was the town's deputy marshal.

HARRY V. WILLIAMS.— The favoring conditions in both the industrial and
commercial fields of Fullerton, together with its growing importance as a residential
town and educational center, have attracted to the city financiers of ability and ambi-
tion, and among the gifted and most promising is Harry V. Williams, the popular
assistant cashier of the First National Bank. He was born at Port Hope, in Canada,
on October 12, 1874, but was reared at Brantford. His father was George Williams, a
meat merchant, who married Lucy Jull, a native of Kent, England; they were the
parents of seven children. Both parents are now dead.

Educated in the schools of Brantford, to which town the family had moved when
our subject was six years of age. Harry, the youngest child in the family, later attended
the Collegiate Institute there. After leaving school, he grew up on the home farm, and
there hq assisted until he was twenty-one years of age.

His first move, in breaking away from home, was the long stride to the Pacific;
he first came to California, in 1895, but located permanently here in 1903. He luckily
wended his way to Pomona, where he found employment for five years in the orange
industry. Then, for ten years, he was with E. E. Armour's Drug Store at Pomona.
In September, 1915. attracted by the more favorable prospects in Fullerton, he removed
to the town in which he is now so well known.

For two years Mr. Williams was interested in the drug business as proprietor of
the Corner Drug Store, but selling out, he entered the First National Bank as book-
keeper, and was later advanced to be assistant cashier. Since then, he has become more
and more identified with the growing town. He has been active as a Republican in
national political movements, and as a nonpartisan in local affairs, has participated in
the uplift work of the Christian Church, of which he is a member, and has gotten his
share of deserved popularity among the Masons and the Knights of Pythias. On June
10, 1903. Mr. Williams was married to Miss Fanny Mae Varcoe, a native of Dungannon,
Ontario, and the daughter of Wm. and Sophia Varcoe. now of Pomona. One child has
blessed their union, a daughter, Dorothy Grace.

JAMES H. WHITAKER.— Among the old residents and business men in Orange
County is James H. Whitaker, a native Chicagoan who has long been identified with
Southern California, so that Orange County seems his natural home. He was born
on December 19, 1864, a date memorable in American history, for. or that very day
President Lincoln called for 300.000 more volunteer soldiers. His father was Andrew
Whitaker, a farmer, who came to California in 1887, and located in Anaheim. He had
married Miss Mary Cox, a native of Connecticut, and the family came West in 1887;
both parents are now dead.

There were four boys in the family, all of whom are living, and James was the
second child. He went to the local public school and the Lake Forest University and
on completing the course he came to California in 1884 with an uncle, James Whitaker,
who laid out Buena Park in Orange County. For some time uncle and nephew worked
together, and then our subject, with Tom Deering, bought out a general merchandise
establishment at Buena Park, at which place he was in business until 1909. He was the
first postmaster at that place, and he remained there for about twenty years.







O^^l^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1451

On removing to Anaheim, Mr. \\'hitaker edited the paper called The Derrick,
after which he was with Mr. Yungbluth in the clothing and furnishing business for
three years. On January 1, 1917. he became secretary of the Anaheim Board of Trade —
a happy appointment, for never did the organization flourish so well as during Mr.
Whitaker's assignment to the wheel. Having become interested in the Orange County
Rock and Gravel Company, Mr. Whitaker resigned as secretary of the Board of Trade
in July, 1920, to devote his time to his personal interests. He is secretary of the
Mother Colony Club, is an influential Republican, is a Knights Templar Mason and an
Elk. In Chicago, he was a loyal member of the National Guard.

At Buena Park on September 1, 1891, Mr. Whitaker was married to Miss Lillian
Whitaker, also born in Chicago, and they are the parents of four children: Madeleine
is Mrs. Ralph Maas; and there are three sons, Loring, Gerald and James. The family
attend the Episcopal Church, of which Mr. Whitaker is a vestryman.

ELMER ORVAL HOOKER. — Prominent among the interesting pioneers of
Orange County who have contributed something worth while toward the development
of the section in which they have lived and toiled, must be mentioned Mr. and Mrs.
Elmer O. Hooker, identified in an enviable way with the introduction of the sugar
beet into Los Alamitos. He was born at Terre Haute, Ind., on January 18, 1873, the
son of William O. and Elizabeth (Ratts) Hooker, natives of Virginia and Indiana,
respectively, and when three years of age was brought by his parents to Phillips
County, Kans. There his father raised wheat, corn, rye and oats; and while he strove
for a common school education, he helped on the home farm. Of their si.x children,
four of whom are living, our subject is the third eldest.

In 1894, Mr. Hooker came out to California, and that same year he took up farm-
ing at Pomona. Three years later, he removed to Los Alamitos, settling there early
enough to build one of the first houses, and to become one of the first sugar beet grow-
ers in that vicinity. He helped on the construction, of the sugar factory, and he also
became one of the foremen for the five following years of the Los Alamitos Sugar Re-
finery and helped to make its reputation for a superior product. He was manager of
the Los Alamitos Beet Growers Association for a number of years, and set the pace in
growing beets by the latest, most up-to-date methods. He operated from 150 to 500
acres planted to sugar beets, but in 1919 he gave up raising sugar beets and located
on a ranch of forty-seven acres he had purchased in Santiago Canyon in 1917. The
ranch was formerly a part of the Madame Modjeska ranch, and has over 3,000 olive
trees planted by the distinguished Polish actress over twenty years ago which he is
grubbing out so that he may plant the land to alfalfa and walnuts. Besides seven head
of horses and eight of cattle, he follows the chicken industry as a side issue. He also
improved and still owns valuable residence and business property at Seal Beach, Los
Alamitos and Huntington Beach.

At Los Alamitos on September 12, 1915, Mr. Hooker was married to Mrs. Adelina
S. Upperman, a southern lady born at Macon, Ga.. the daughter of Harry I. and Laura
A. (Alverson) Joy, natives of Ellsworth, Maine, and Macon, Ga., respectively. Harry
Joy served in a Maine regiment during the Civil War, after which he married a
southern woman and engaged in farming until his death; his widow now lives in Evans-
ville, Ind. Adelina Joy was educated in the schools of Macon, Ga., and there, too, she
married William Upperman and they removed to Saskatchewan, Canada, where he was
employed as railroad engineer on the Canadian Pacific until he was killed in a train
wreck. After his death his widow engaged in railroad Y. M. C. A. work until she came
to California in February, 1915, and in September of the same year changed her name.

Besides ranching so successfully, Mr. Hooker has had both public office experience
and done good civic work. He was in charge of the road improvement work in his



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 162 of 191)