Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 163 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 163 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


district for years, and has served for a season on the jury. He is what might be
termed an exceedingly useful citizen, both doing things and setting an inspiring, con-
tagious example to others.

O. T. JOHNSON. — .\mong the highly-respected citizens now residing, retired, at
Santa Ana are Mr. and Mrs. O. T. Johnson, who were long prosperous farmers in
Iowa, and reside at their comfortable bungalow at Washington and French streets in
Santa .\na. They have been privileged to rear a family, all of whom have married well
and are in turn occupying positions of responsibility and esteem in the world.

Mr. Johnson was born in Holmes County, Ohio, on February 6 of the historic
year. 1848. and eight years later was taken by his parents to Cedar County, Iowa.
There he grew up and became the owner of a well improved farm of one hundred sixty
acres. There, too, on New Year's Day. 1873. he was married to Miss Mary Elijah, a
native of Delaware County, N. Y., who came West and became a resident of the Hawk-
eye State. They joined the Methodist Church, and have been consistent Methodists



1452 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

ever since. In 1908, Mr. and Mrs. Johnson bade good-bye to their Middle West home
and came out to sunnier California, locating in Santa Ana, where they have since made
their home. And every day in the happy years intervening, they have been busy adding
to their cherished memories of devoted friends or pleasant places or occasions.

Four children have blessed their uninterruptedly happy home life. William E.
Johnson is employed by the Pomona Valley Telephone and Telegraph Union, and is
the father of eight children; he married Miss Jessamine Coe, of Clarence, Iowa, who
passed to the Great Beyond in April, 1917; Myrtie is the wife of W. W. Wasser, the
secretary of the Santa Ana Elks; Clare was for fourteen years mechanical foreman for
the Santa Ana Register, he lives in Santa Ana, but is ranching near Anaheim; and
Mildred is the wife of Fred D. Stever, the well-known realty man of Santa Ana, just
returned from an eight months' service in France. Her first husband was Walter
Galbraith, a native son of Santa Ana's first generation; but he died in 1917, leaving
one child, De Mont Galbraith.

NORTON W. HATFIELD. — A worthy representative of a fine old pioneer family
naturally proud of its record of useful and successful activity in two states is Norton
W. Hatfield, who was born near Maquoketa, Jackson County, Iowa, on August 21,
1884, the son of George Henry Hatfield who was then a prosperous farmer in the
Hawkeye State. He distributed milk and dairy products in the county, and also had
charge of one of the rural delivery routes of the U. S. mail service. In 1885 he removed
to California and purchased forty acres on the Garden Grove Road, at that time cactus
and sagebrush; but with the assistance of his good wife, who was Helena A. Fuller
before her marriage, and his son Norton, for a while a pupil of the Orangethorpe
school, he cleared the cactus and sagebrush and planted the land to grapes. The grapes
died, however, and then the vines were grubbed out and apricots, peaches and walnuts
were set out instead. These in turn were pulled out, and some of the forty acres have
since been sold. Now his sister, Mrs. Parrett, owns eleven acres, five acres belongs
to the mother of the subject of our sketch, and ten acres to him.

Norton Hatfield's acreage is devoted to Valencia oranges, and is under the service
of the Anaheim Union Water Company, although he also receives water from the
Browning pumping ■ plant, which commands a well of fifty inches; and the grove is
properly rated as one of the most attractive, as it is one of the most fruitful and
profitable, in' Orange County. The ranching is carried on according to the latest guid-
ance of scientific research, and only the most up-to-date methods and machinery are
employed. He markets his fruit through the Mutual Orange Distributors Association
in Fullerton in which he is a director.

On December 28, 1908, Mr. Hatfield was married to Miss Hattie Kaminske, a
native of Burlington, Iowa, and the daughter of Charles K. Kaminske, who had married
Miss Louise Bruns. He was a talented musician, but he gave up his profession for farm
work; he died in Iowa and his widow with her daughter, Hattie, came to California in
the fall of 1907. Two children came to brighten the Hatfield fireside, and they are
Ruth and George. Mr. Hatfield is a member of Anaheim Lodge No. 1345, B. P. O.
Elks, and Mrs. Hatfield belongs to the Presbyterian Church of the same place.

JOHN T. JOHNSON. — An interesting rancher of the class always sought for
by every new community, their lives speaking for themselves, and each year of their
activity bearing more and more desirable fruit, is John T. Johnson, who was born
near Uniontown, Bourbon County, Kans., on September 7, 1886, the son of J. D. John-
son, a farmer of that state, who was born in Missouri and came to Kansas when he was
three years old. In time, he married Miss Mina E. Griffith, a lady of accomplishment,
wTio proved a devoted wife and an afifectionate mother. They are still living. J. D.
Johnson raised stock and grain; and so, while he was attending school in Allen and
Neosho counties, John spent the first nineteen years of his life at home, assistflig his
father on the farm. In 1905 he came west to California and struck out for himself.
For two years he worked at the packing house of the Lefifingwell ranch at Whittier,
and after that he put in a year at the Escondido packing house. He next went to Ven-
tura County and for three years worked in a packing house at Fillmore, and while
still there, he started to ranch in his fourth year. He purchased seven acres near
Fillmore, and devoted all of the land to Navel oranges.

When Mr. Johnson sold out in 1914, he came to Orange County and settled in
Anaheim, and at first he purchased five acres on South Los Angeles Street, just outside
of Anaheim. There were three-year-old Valencia orange trees on the farm, and he had
a good chance to experiment in cultivating citrus fruit. In July, 1918, he also purchased
seven acres on Anaheim Road and Placentia Avenue, all set out to Valencias, and in
October, 1919, he sold his five-acre ranch. He put up a house and such barns and
other buildings as were necessary, and on his seven acres he is living today. In



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1453

Xoveniber. 1919, Mr. Johnson purchased a ranch at the corner of Broadway and West
Street, and he thereby added to his holdings nine acres of full-bearing orange trees,
surrounded by a row of walnuts. About three acres are devoted to Navel and sweet
oranges, and some six acres to Valencias. He receives his water from a private irriga-
tion plant, and markets his products through the California Fruit Growers Exchange.
At Santa Ana on December 2, 1909, Mr. Johnson was married to Miss Minnie
E. Hodge, a native of Tennessee, where she was educated in private schools. Her
grandparents were pioneers in northeastern Tennessee, and her father was a Southern
planter, and a man of progressive ideas and wide influence in his district. Mr. Johnson
is a Mason, affiliated with Anaheim Lodge Xo. 207, F. & .-\. M., and there is no more
popular member in that order.

NATHAN C. STOCKWELL.— .'\n up-to-date, thoroughly progressive and suc-
cessful rancher, Nathan C. Stockwcll, the well-known citrus grower north of Anaheim
is a fine representative of the Buckeye State, where he was born, near Willoughby, in
the vicinity of Cleveland, on September 16, 1871. His father was Joseph E. Stockwell,
an extensive manufacturer of brick in Nebraska, who had the first machine for moulding
bricks in Lincoln; and he had married Miss La Villa Henderson. She died on the ranch
at North Anaheim, in October, 1919, mourned by all who had been attracted by her
charming personality as a neighbor and a friend; Joseph E. Stockwell sustained serious
injuries in an auto accident, which impaired his otherwise sturdy constitution, upon
which he had relied for years, although he is still astonishingly active. These good
parents moved to Lincoln jvhen Nathan was ten years old: and near that city he was
educated in a country school. He thus grew up to help his father in the brickyard; and
when the latter left Nebraska and removed to Tacoma, Wash., he accompanied him
and shared his varied and varying fortunes there for four or five years. In 1905, they
came to Southern California and purchased sixty acres north of Anaheim; it was
covered with cactus and sand, and was declared by the old residents to be worthless
or at least undesirable acreage.

With the assistance of his father, however, he cleared the land, sunk a well and
installed a pumping plant; and having set the land out to lemons and oranges, it is
today valuable to a high degree. From time to time, he has sold some of the area;
but father and son still have sixteen acres devoted to raising Valencia oranges, served
by a fine pumping plant tapping seventy-five inches of water, raised by a Krow pump.

Joseph E. Stockwell is a member and director of the Anaheim Cooperative Orange
Growers Association; he marches under the banner of the Republicans, and Nathan
Stockwell is a live member of the Modern Woodmen of America. Both father and son
belong to that highly desirable class of settlers who, when they have once pitched
their tent, never break camp without effecting some improvement in the neighborhood
worth the while.

C. S. BUNDSCHUH.— The city of Huntington Beach and the surrounding coun-
try are fortunate indeed to have such an efficient and considerate funeral director as is
found in the person of C. S. Bundschuh, master of the art of embalming and numbered
among the most able and successful business men of Huntington Beach. He was
.born March 31, 1873. in Olmstead, in Pulaski County, III, a son of August and Catherine
(Lilley) Bundschuh. August Bundschuh passed away in Olmstead, 111.; his widow, now
in her eighty-first year, is well and active and resides in Huntington Beach. Mr.
Bundschuh"s early life was spent on the liome place in Pulaski County, and here he
received his education.

In 1898 Mr. Bundschuh was united in marriage with Miss Mary Hanna. who was
also a resident of Illinois. She passed away five years later, in 1903, leaving two chil-
dren, both of whom are now deceased. His second marriage occurred in 1904, when
he was united with Miss Alice Cockrum, of Arkansas, the ceremony being solemnized at
Cairo. III. This union has been blessed with four children: George, a student at
Huntington Beach high school; Alice Louise, Grace and Norbit. Mr. Bundschuh
first engaged in the undertaking business at Ullin, Pulaski County, 111. After several
years there he sold his business in 1910 and moved to Chicago, locating at 1625 Wells
Street, where he was engaged in the undertaking business until 1912. While living in
Chicago Mr. Bundschuh had the proud distinction of owning and operating the first
auto hearse in that city, and also said to have been the second one in use in the
United States.

In 1912 Mr. Bundscliuh came to California, locating at Huntington Beach, where
he purchased six lots at the corner of Seventh and Main streets, and here, during the
year, he built his residence. The following year his undertaking establishment and
funeral chapel were built. Mr. Bundschuh becoming the pioneer undertaker of Hunt-
ington Beach. His establishment is a model one in every respect, the chapel seating



1454 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

140 persons. In order to perfect himself in his profession he took a course in embalm-
ing at Williams College, Kansas City, Mo., in 1905, and supplemented his training with
a post-graduate course in 1906, at the College of Embalming at St. Louis, Mo. Fra-
ternally, Mr. Bundschuh is a Mason, being past master of Huntington Beach Lodge
No. 380, F. & A. M. He is also a member of the Knights of Pythias and of the
Modern Woodmen of America. In addition to his business at Huntington Beach, he
is a partner in the Coachella Valley Undertaking Company at Thermal, Cal. Ever
since locating at Huntington Beach, Mr. Bundschuh has taken an active interest in
all the affairs of the community and with his family enjoys a justly deserved popularity.

PALITO ARBALLO.— .-V carefree, willing and devotedly conscientious laborer,
whose simple, upright life and an attractive temperament, doubtless inherited from his
worthy parents, have made him justly popular among his associates, is Palito Arballo,
the rancher and assistant road overseer at Yorba Station. He was born at Anaheim,
the son of Francisco Arballo, the farmer of that vicinity, and married Mrs. A. Frances
Ruiz, widow of the late Francisco Ruiz, a native of Anaheim. She was the daughter of
Francisco Lopez, who had married Ruth Urius. By her first union, Mrs. Arballo had
four children: Albertine is now the wife of William Vasquez, and lives across the
street from her parents on the same ranch; Ruby Ruiz is sixteen; Lily thirteen; and
Josephine seven years old. The children attend the Yorba grade school.

Mrs. Arballo owns the ranch of five acres in the Yorba precinct where they make
their home. It is devoted to walnuts, and as the grove is now about twelve years old,
is in fine shape. Mr. Arballo's regular line of work has been teaming and farming, but
of late he has been appointed to the position for which he is so well prepared by
experience and enterprise, that of assistant road overseer under V. G. Yorba. In
national politics he is a Republican, but this party preference never interferes with his
cordial support of whatever seems to be best for the community.

J. VALENTI. — A young man who served in a California regiment in the World
War is J. Valenti, who was born near Palermo, Sicily. May 16, 1892, where he received
a good education in the public schools. .\t the age of twelve j'ears he was apprenticed
tb the shoemakers' trade and on completing the trade at the age of seventeen he started
a shop in his native town. He served three months in the Italian army when he was
taken ill and was duly honorably discharged. In 1913 he came to New York City,
where he worked at his trade. Having always had a desire to see California and to
try his luck in the land of gold and sunshine he came to the Pacific Coast in 1914.
locating in San Bernardino, where he was employed at his trade until Congress declared
war on Germany.

Being anxious to join the colors of the Stars and Stripes he immediately took
out his first papers and on May 29, 1917, he enlisted in the Coast Artillery Band. He
was stationed at Fort McArthur and later transferred to the Quartermaster's depart-
ment as corporal and was stationed at San Pedro until February 24, 1919, when he
received his honorable discharge. Looking for a location he was so well pleased
with conditions in Orange he located here and opened his present place of business
for the repairing and making of shoes, having the latest machinery, all operated by
electric power and thus has acquired a large and paying business in a short time.

In San Bernardino occurred the marriage of Mr. Valenti with Josephine Valord;
who was born in Texas and they have one child, Mary Grace. Mr. Valenti is a very
liberal and enterprising young man and is ready at all times to aid movements for the
upbuilding of his adopted country. In political views. Mr. Valenti is a Republican.

CHARLES L. CRUMRINE.— A native son who has made an enviable record as
the manager of the La Habra Citrus Association, one who is very progressive and
believes in adopting the latest methods that make for business advancement, is Charles
L. Crumrine. He was born in Ventura County, May 30. 1881, a son of Harrison and
Mary (Trotter) Crumrine. natives of Pennsylvania and Illinois, respectively.

Harrison Crumrine is a pioneer of Ventura County, having located there in 1869.
Charles was educated in the grammar and high schools of Ventura, and since entering
the business world has followed the citrus packing industry very closely and by
centralizing his efforts along a single line he has achieved marked success as a manager.
For six years he was manager of the Santa Paula Citrus Association and in 1911 became
manager of the Leffingwell Packing House, on the Leffingwell ranch near La Habra.
It was in 1915 that Mr. Crumrine accepted the position of manager of the La Habra
Citrus Association. This plant is now the largest in Orange County, and its phenom-
enal growth in business, since Mr. Crumrine took charge, emphasizes his fitness for
such an important post. The excellent business judgment and fidelity to details he has
exhibited and his wise, tactful and courteous treatment of the employes is conclusive
proof that the directors of the association made no mistake when they chose Mr.



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1457

Crumrine as their manager. There was but one section to the plant when he took
charge; now there are four. One hundred forty cars each of lemons and oranges was
the maximum shipment in a season, but through his efficient management there were
packed during 1919, 425 cars of lemons and 375 cars of oranges. He predicts that the
next three years will see 800 cars of lemons and 600 of oranges packed and shipped
each year by this association. The management contemplates the building of a new
orange house in 1921, to care for its anticipated increase in business.

The La Habra Citrus Association is composed of 170 growers, who represent
2,000 acres of land devoted to citrus culture, and it maintains a fumigating and picking
department. A Mexican colony has been established by the association for the comfort
and benefit of its pickers; a settlement worker is located in the colony, who looks after
the morale of its members and the general welfare of the colony. The citrus district of
La Habra is one of the most productive in the county, its soil being especially adapted
to the growing of a fine quality of fruit, which commands the highest price in the
Eastern market. The officers and directors of the association are: A. M. Otis, presi-
dent; W. L. York, vice-president; C. L. Crumrine, secretary and manager; and the
following brands are packed La Habra, Shepherd, Reliable Sunkist brands, and Rex and
Bengal, choice brands.

On June 30, 1903, at Santa Paula, Mr. Crumrine was united in marriage with Miss
May Brookhouser, and this union has been blessed with a daughter, Pauline May.
Fraternally Mr. Crumrine is a Mason, a member of Whittier Lodge No. 323, F. & A. M.,
at Whittier, Cal. In addition to the responsibilities of his position, Mr. Crumrine is
the owner of a citrus orchard in the La Habra Heights Addition, which he has himself
developed.

GEORGE DUNTON. — A progressive young man of superior business qualifica-
tions who has been identified with the automobile business since he was eighteen
years of age, George Dunton has made for himself a distinct place in Anaheim's busi-
ness circles. Quick to discriminate and swift to grasp the opportunity for success,
his selection of Orange County as the scene of his operations in the automobile field
has been well rewarded.

He was born in Chicago, 111., November 27, 1888, the only child of William B.
and May B. (Keeler) Dunton, natives of Belvedere, 111. The father was engaged in
the grain business in Chicago until 1914, when he decided to locate in California, and
he has since been engaged in orange growing at Anaheim. George Dunton was edu-
cated in the public schools of Chicago and at the Athenaeum in that city, and upon
embarking in business Ife was engaged with the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific and
the Southern Pacific for a period of two years. In 1906 he entered the automobile
business in Chicago, continuing there until he came to California in 1911, where he
was at first with the Stromberg Carburetor Company. In 1912 he entered the
employ of the Ford Motor Company at Los Angeles, continuing with them for six
years and becoming their sales manager. Wishing to engage in business for himself,
in 1918 he purchased his present business, the Ford Agency at Anaheim, from G. T.
Ingram, and also added the agency for the Fordson tractor for Orange County,
which he held until the agency for the tractor was divided among the Ford agents
of the county. His territory is Anaheim and vicinity, including Garden Grove and
Los Alamitos. His business has rapidly increased until he now employs twenty-six
people, and finds that his thorough business experience in the East in the automobile
field is of great advantage to him. He occupies a large garage, 60x110, located at
North Los Angeles and Cypress streets, and besides has a warehouse on the Southern
Pacific Railroad. Up until October 1, 1920, at the end of the first two years' sales,
he has delivered 344 tractors, a surprisingly large number, even outnumbering the
sale of Ford automobiles during the same period, showing the wonderful popularity
of the Fordson tractor.

Mr. Dunton's marriage, on June 15, 1914. at White Bear Lake, Minn., united
him with Miss Ruby Matthews of St. Paul, Minn., and two daughters have been
born to them, Elizabeth and Barbara. Mr. Dunton is a member of the Orange County
Automobile Trades Association, and is popular in the circles of the Los Angeles
Athletic Club, the Orange County Country Club and the Hacienda Country Club of
La Habra, in all of which he holds membership. In fraternal circles he is a Knight
Templar Mason and a Shriner, belonging to AI Malaikah Temple at Los Angeles,
and is also a member of the Anaheim Lodge of Elks.

Mr. Dunton finds recreation from the arduous cares of business in golf and
tennis, and his deep interest in Orange County is manifested in the enthusiasm with
which he furthers all measures or organizations that tend toward the development of
the county and for the public weal.



1458 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

CHARLES EBERTH. — A thorough workman who has done much to perfect the
inanufacture of auto tops and to improve the methods of auto painting, is Charles
Eberth, the expert upholsterer of Orange, who is a familiar figure in the social life
of his home town, Santa Ana. He was born in Vienna, Austria, in 1859, educated in the
excellent public schools of that country, also attending the gymnasium, and there
learned the trade of an upholsterer and a cabinetmaker. For five years he served in
the -Austrian army, as a member of the Sixth Hussar Regiment, in which he was ser-
geant, and campaigned at the front in the Turkish-Russian War of 1878-79, taking
part in the battles of Serreava and Burtscka, and was wounded in the thigh in the
latter struggle. He obtained a furlough; and while on the reserve list came to the
United States in 1881, and went to work at his trade in New York.

In 1894, he removed to Chicago and entered the employ of the Pullman Car
Works; and for thirteen years he was one of their most accomplished upholsterers. In
1907, he came out to the Northwest, and for five years followed his trade at Portland.
His natural gifts, his developed technical skill and his superior taste, together with his
known determination never to deliver any work that was not finished in every respect,
all combined to bring him all the patronage that he could take care of.

In 1912, he came South to Los Angeles and was soon engaged by Barker Bros,
as upholsterer. Next he removed to Pasadena and worked for Knowles and Phillips
in the same line. In 1915 he located in Santa Ana, where he bought a residence and
followed his trade, making a specialty of automobile tops and other motor upholstery.
In 1919 he sold out and started the same business at Orange, making tops and uphols-
tering. He also went in for automobile painting at the corner of Olive and North
Glassell streets; and his advent into Orange was followed by an immediate increase in
profitable trade.

Twenty-five years ago, at Seattle, Mr. Eberth was married to Miss Anna Studavil.
a native of Galveston, and a lady with a strong, winning personality. They have had
twelve children, and six are still living. Mr. and Mrs. Eberth belong to the Baptist
Church in Santa Ana. and are active in all good works in time of war as well as in
times of peace.

EDSON JOEL BALL. — An experienced, well-posted realty dealer of Orange.
California, whose prosperity has very naturally made him an enthusiastic booster and
loyal citizen of Orange County, is Edson J. Ball, who was born in Petersburg, Monroe
County, Mich., December 24, 1850. His father was Wesley Ball, a native of Rochester,
N. Y., who came with his father, Joel Ball, a farmer, to Michigan, where the latter
lived and labored, and died at the age of ninety-four. The Ball family are of Puritan



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 163 of 191)