Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 165 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 165 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


of four children — Catherine, or Kate, and Victor, who reside in Orange; Florence, now
Mrs. Lawrence of Dixon, 111., and Charles, who lives at Ontario. Miss Hubbard came
in 1879 to Kansas, where her father had a farm; and in 1908 she located at Orange and
bought the corner where she has lived, highly honored by all who know her, ever since.
She has reared and adopted three daughters: Hester, who is now the wife of Alfred
Rogers, of Glasco, Kans.; Nina, the wife of F. B. Dale of Orange; and Gladys, or
Mrs. Joseph McDonald, who lives near Santa Ana. Mrs. Dale was married the first
time in Kansas to Levi Frankforther, who was the editor of the Glasco Sun until his
death; and they had one child, Nina Catharine. After Mr. Frankforther's demise, she
came to Orange, to join her adopted mother, who had moved there.

Mr. Dale is a member of Orange Lodge No. 225, I. O. O. F., where he is a past
grand, and of Santa Ana Encampment, and with Mrs. Dale belongs to the Rebekahs,
in which organization she is a past noble grand. She is also a member of the Yeomen
and the Royal Neighbors, and she belongs to the Christian Church. Mr. Dale is a
Republican, but nonpartisan in local issues.

CHARLES W. HIGGLE.— A progressive carpenter and builder, whose ideals
and methods have been such that he could hardly have escaped success if he would,
is C. W. Riggle, a native of Coshocton, O., where he was born in 1873. His father
was Edward Riggle. a thoroughly patriotic American, who served in the One Hundred
and Twenty-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment during the Civil War, and was
wounded at Cold Harbor. After the great conflict, he took up agriculture, and for a
while farmed at Macon City, Mo.; and now resides near Springfield. Mrs. Riggle was
Mary Lyons before her marriage, and she died in Missouri in 1919. She was the mother
of five boys, and among them C. W. Riggle was the eldest.

He was brought up in Missouri, and attended the public schools of Macon County.
Later, he learned the carpenter's trade, and when twenty years of age, came out
to Kansas City, and was made foreman for an important construction company, which
was constantly erecting extensive business blocks, and his opportunities for experience
of a varied kind were exceptional.

Having been well equipped, therefore, for original work, Mr. Riggle came to
California in 1913 and located at Orange, where he began on his own account as a
contractor and builder; and three years ago he formed a partnership with Frank Dale,
under the firm name of Riggle & Dale. They not only make their own designs, but
furnish working plans for others. Both the style and the quality of their work being
such as to appeal to the intelligent patron looking for the best, they have been more
and more sought, especially for building enterprises involving risk and responsibility.

At Kansas City, Mr. Riggle was married to Miss Dovie Barnett, a native of that
municipality, and they have been blessed with two children. Harvey, who is a grad-
uate of the Orange high school, is attending the Y. M. C. A. school of Los Angeles,
and is taking a mechanical course; and Mary is still in the high school. Both Mr. and
Mrs. Riggle are members of the Baptist Church at Orange, of which Mr. Riggle is a
trustee. Mr. Riggle is a Mason, having been initiated in Mountain Dale Lodge No.
554, A. F. & A. M.. at Seymour, Missouri.

JOHN F. RICHARDS.— An interesting Californian of the genuinely American
type is John F. Richards, who was born near Manhattan, Kans., in 1872, the son of
A. and Adeline Richards, the former a native of Kentucky, who in 1857 became an
early settler of Pottawatomie County. Kans.. and there improved a farm which was
originally a raw prairie. He engaged in stock raising and was so successful that he
came to own 5,000 acres of land. He is now living retired at Orange, his good wife
and companion having died in Kansas. They had nine children, and John was the third
youngest of them all.

After completing the courses of the public schools, he took a course at the State
Agricultural College at Manhattan, after which he entered Pond's Business College at



1466 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

Topeka, from which he was graduated in 1890, attaining the highest honors. He then
engaged in mercantile business at Blaine, Kans.

At Fostoria, in 1893, he was married to Miss Annie Price, a native of Missouri,
and at once took up stock raising. He established headquarters at Olsburg, Potta-
watomie County, and for seventeen years was extensively engaged in buying and feeding
cattle, running from 500 to 1,000 head a season. He raised hundreds of acres of corn,
and bought thousands of bushels of corn, to feed the cattle he bought as feeders, and
he had his feeding yards not only as Olsburg, but also at Fostoria and Blaine, becoming
the owner of some 2,000 acres of land in that county. He shipped to Kansas City,
Chicago and New York, and some of his cattle sent to New York were reshipped for
the foreign trjRle.

During this time he was engaged in general merchandising in Olsburg, as well
as at Blaine, and after disposing of these establishments he engaged in the lumber
business in Olsburg until he came away. He also organized the Farmers State Bank
of Olsburg, of which he was vice-president until he resigned to come to California.

Mr. Richards was a justice of the peace for four years in Pottawatomie County
until he resigned, and he also showed his public spiritedness by serving as a school
trustee. In 1910, he sold his interets in Kansas and located in Orange, California,
where he resides on East Chapman street. He owns forty-nine acres in Santa Ana
Canon, devoted mostly to the culture of oranges, the balance being in walnuts; and
this splendid orchard property he himself superintends. His ranch is fortunately situ-
ated in a field of oil development, and although he has had some flattering ofiers for
a lease, the adjoining farms being already leased, he has refused to lease it, preferring
when the time is ripe to handle the proposition himself.

He is interested in the Liberty Petroleum Company at Newport in the HefTern
Oil Company at Richfield and in the Mid-Central Oil Company at the same place, as
well as other oil companies here and in Texas. Two children have blessed the for-
tunate union of Mr. and Mrs. Richards: Frances May is Mrs. Mix of Orange; and
Lyde assists his father. Mr. Richards is a member of Manhattan Lodge No. 1185, of
the B. P. O. E., and is a member of the Knights of Pythias of Orange. He is also a
Republican. Mrs. Richards belongs to the Presbyterian Church.

RODOLFO C. MARQUEZ.— A hard-working and trustworthy citizen, of con-
servative bachelor habits, but fortunate in his genial temperament, is Rodolfo C.
Marquez, who lives on his own beautiful ranch of three and a half acres, planted to
olives. Valencias and walnuts, six miles to the northeast of Olive. He shares it with
a brother, Feliz C. Marquez, and a sister, Aristea, all of them fit representatives of
one of the finest of old-time Spanish families.

His father, Jose R. Marquez, was born at San Jose del Cabo, in Lower California,
came here in 1847, and was married in Los Angeles in 1861, when he was joined to
Trinidad Peralta, who was born here on the Rancho Santiago de Santa Ana — a famous
farm beautifully located in the foothills of the Santa Ana Mountains, on the Santa
Ana Canyon Boulevard, which runs right along the irrigation ditch of the Santa Ana
^'alley Irrigation Company. She was one of the heirs to the above ranch, being a
granddaughter of Juan Pablo Peralta, the owner of the grant.

The original grantee of the Rancho Santiago de Santa Ana was Juan Pablo
Grijalva, who was a lieutenant in the Spanish army who had come to San Diego;
his daughter married Pedro Peralta, also a lieutenant in the Spanish army, and their
child, Juan Pablo Peralta, inherited the above rancho, and in time located on it and
eventually built his residence at what is now Olive, where he died, leaving his vast
estate to his children.

Jose R. Marquez conducted the general store at Peralta. and later one at Yorba,
where he was in partnership with Prudencio Yorba. After dissolving this partnership
he was again in business at Peralta. He died about 1900, aged eighty-four years, having
survived his wife ten years. They had ten children, but only seven grew up, and
three are now living.

A brother of Rodolfo was Romualdo P. Marquez, who was one of the first
justices of the peace of Fullerton Township, what is now Yorba Township being a
part of it, holding the office until he died. He was also a trustee of Peralta district
for eighteen years.

Rodolfo C. Marquez was born at Yorba January 29, 1866; he received a good
education in the public schools, and also made himself useful in the store, thus becom-
mg familiar with the mercantile business, assisting his father after they moved to
Peralta. where he is now among the old settlers. The place is still known as "Peralta,"
and it has a number of residences so favorably located that they overlook the Santa
Ana \'alley. He has built a quaint, good-sized adobe house for a storeroom, which
stands as a landmark. The Peralta School is an up-to-date school near by, and well



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1469

serves the district in which it is placed. Mr. Marquez was trustee there for several
years, as he was also justice of the peace of Yorba judicial township for two terms.
Always a Republican, as was his father before him, he is a member of the Catholic
Church, at San Antonio Mission. With others he succeeded in getting the suburban
telephone built up the Valley to accommodate the farmers. Mr. Marquez has always
stood for progress and has done his share towards any movement for improvement
in his section. During the World War he was appointed by the United States govern-
ment a licensing agent of explosives through the Explosives Bureau of the Department
of Mines.

As an experienced apiarist, with some 115 stands of bees, Mr. Marquez derives
a substantial profit from the sale of honey. He has been active in that field for over
forty years, and in the science of bee culture in Orange County owes something today
to his unwearying experiments and efforts to reach the highest standards.

CHARLES F. RAMSEY.— An old-timer in Southern California, long prominent
in politics as a Democratic leader and honored as both an efficient and conscientious
officeholder, is Charles F. Ramsey, the representative of a tine old family in the South,
with interesting progenitors on both the paternal and maternal side. His great uncle
was James Gattys McGregor Ramsey, the well-known author, who was born in Knox
County. Tenn., in 1796, and died at Knoxville in 1884. He was the son of Francis A.
Ramsey, who had emigrated to the West when a young man. and had become secretary
of the state of Franklin, which was subsequently admitted to the Union under the
name of Tennessee. While becoming trained both as an M. D. and a banker, James
Ramsey began to collect materials for a history of Tennessee; and at Charleston, S. C,
in 1853, he published the "Annals of Tennessee to the End of the Eighteenth Century."
He also founded the first historical society in the state. He joined the Confederate
Army on its retreat from Knoxville, and in his absence his house was burned and all
the valuable historical papers, as well as much other property, were destroyed.

The father of our subject, who was a regimental commander in a Tennessee regi-
ment during the Civil War, was also named Frank A. Ramsey. He spent eight years
in California and then went back to Missouri, where he married Mary Kaylor, a native
of Virginia and the representative of a well-known family in that state. She now
resides with Charles F. Ramsey, the center of a circle of admiring friends, and the
mother of seven children, among whom Charles F. is the fourth in the order of birth.

He was brought up at Cameron, Mo., where he attended the grammar schools and
eventually graduated from the Cameron high school, after which he attended Fayette
College. In 1896 he came to Los Angeles, and for a while followed various lines of
business, engaging, in the end, in real estate and brokerage.

In 1919, Mr. Ramsey came to Orange and bought the Colonial Theater, which he
remodeled and enlarged and managed it for a little more than a year. In May, 1920,
he formed a partnership with J. E. Coe, under the firm name of the Coe Realty Com-
pany, and which does a general real estate brokerage business. Their office is located
at 111 South Glassell Street. A live wire for the upbuilding of Orange County, Mr.
Ramsey is a member of the Merchants and Manufacturers' Association.

At Los Angeles Mr. Ramsey was married to Miss Hazel Wright, a native daughter
from Napa, Cal., and their fortunate union has been blessed with two children — Virginia
and Eunice. The family attends the Methodist Episcopal Church, and Mr. Ramsey is
a member of Redlands Lodge No. 583, B. P. O. Elks.

EDWARD HARTMAN.— Among the progressive citizens of Stanton, Orange
County, is Edward Hartman, owner of a highly improved ranch of ten acres located
on Magnolia Avenue, and devoted to the growing of oranges and walnuts. The prop-
erty is improved with good buildings and a pumping plant that supplies sufficient water
for all purposes. The land was purchased by Mr. Hartman in 1909, and was a part of
a large ranch and unimproved in any way, so that when he became the owner he at
once leveled and prepared the land for his oranges and walnuts. The trees are in a
splendid condition and bearing more and more with each succeeding year, and he is
adding needed improvements as his means will permit.

Edward Hartman was born in Schwartzburg-Rudolstadt. Germany, on May IS,
1852, the son of Henry and Sophia (Seidel) Hartman, also natives of that locality,
where their five children were born. The father died in 1870, and in 1872 Mrs. Hart-
man and other members of her family came to America to join her eldest son, our
subject, who had come here in 1868 and settled in Green Bay, Wis. Upon his arrival
in America, Edward was engaged in making building bricks until 1873, the year of
financial depression, when it became impossible to dispose of their product, so he
decided he would begin farming. He bought forty acres of land at Glenmore, Wis.,



1470 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

and blasted out the stumps with dynamite, tor it was a timber slashing. He produced
some wonderful crops from the land, and also engaged to clear land from the stumps
for others under contract, clearing in all over 300 acres. After farming successfully
for many years, in 1906 he decided to come to California, and he landed in Anaheim.
Six years later he located on his present property and is content to remain here.

In 1884 Mr. Hartman married Miss Eline Sitzeman, a native of Wisconsin. They
have had ten children, seven of whom survive: Matilda, Mrs. August Schumacher;
Frederick, a railway mail clerk in Arizona; Theodore and Edward are ranching to-
gether; Alfred, Emiel and Madeline are still at home. Theodore served as a member
of the Three Hundred and Si.xty-eighth Field Artillery in France and for his excellent
record was made a corporal. Mr. Hartman is a member of the Fullerton Walnut
Growers' Association, and both himself and wife belong to the Zion Lutheran Church
in Anaheim. They are Republicans and have a large circle of friends who appreciate
their worth as citizens.

EDWARD M. DOZIER.— The Garden Grove Citrus Association is fortunate in
having an able secretary and manager in the person of Edward M. Dozier, who not
only possesses unusually good b.usiness judgment, but has also an extensive and thor-
ough knowledge of the citrus industry. He was born in the state of Iowa, near Argonia,
Hardin County, June 19, 1878, and is the son of Thomas E. and Caroline Dozier, natives
of North Carolina, who emigrated from Iowa to California in 1885, when their son
Edward was seven years old. These parents had three sons: Ray is married, has three
sons, and lives in Los Angeles County; Edward M., and Ernest. For some years the
father has been in the real estate business at Orange, where he has made his home
for the past fifteen years.

The Garden Grove Citrus Association was organized November 3, 1915, with Mr.
J. O. Arkley as its president. It has grown steadily since its organization, and the
first year shipped ten and one-half carloads of fruit, the second year thirty-seven car-
loads were shipped; in 1919, 107 carloads, and, in 1920, 175 carloads. The association
employs upward of thirty-five hands, its building covers nearly an acre of ground, and
has 9,750 square feet in its ground floor. The association has everything in its favor
in possessing the trees, the fruit and the right kind of men behind it, to make it an
unprecedented success. Milo B. Allen is now president, and has an able second in the
popular secretary and manager. . Mr. Dozier bought nineteen acres of raw land which
he, himself, set to oranges and walnuts, owned the ranch thirteen years and sold in
January, 1920, at a handsome advance over the purchase price.

Mr. Dozier's marriage, which occurred in 1904. united him with Miss Elva Boden-
hamer, daughter of John and Mary Bodenhamer, and their union has been blessed by
the birth of three sons; Paul Melvin, Leslie Myron and Stanley Robert. Mr. Dozier is
a member of the Chamber of Commerce of Garden Grove.

LOUIS ABAOHERLI. — One of the largest dairymen of Orange County is Louis^
Abacherli of Hansen Station. His dairy consists of 200 head of three-quarters Holstein
stock, and in addition to this he ovifns 100 head of young heifers. In each herd he has
a sprinkling of Jerseys to raise the quality of the milk. His ranch embraces 200 acres
and he produces almost 3,040 pounds of milk per day, which he markets in Los Angeles.
He installed modern milking machines and employs two milkers.

Mr. Abacherli is a native of Switzerland, where he was born in the Canton Ob-
walden. May 28, 1872. He is the son of Joseph and Josephine (Ambiel) Abacherli, who
were the parents of four children, three of whom are living, Adelheid and Theresa
being the daughters. Louis is the only one in the United States. Accompanied by his
wife he came to this country in November, 1912, and when they came to Orange County
they settled at Los Alamitos. In 1915 Mr. Abacherli leased his present ranch of Mrs.
Hansen of Long Beach, and he has built up a successful and prosperous business through
his own efforts, being well qualified for an undertaking of this magnitude. He also
leases considerable land, having in 1920 about 800 acres, 110 acres planted to beets, the
balance being in barley, corn and alfalfa.

Mrs. Abacherli is also a native of Switzerland, and before her marriage, which
occurred on November 25, 1894, she was Rosalia Abacherli, the daughter of Balz and
Mary (Rathlin) Abacherli. Four children have blessed the union of Mr. and Mrs.
Abacherli, and three of them are living: Arnold, Louis and John, all living at home.
Rosalie, the eldest child, died aged twenty-one years, November 20, 1916. They took a
little girl, Helen Ambiel, when five months old. and are rearing her as one of their
own children. She is six years old and is attending school. The family are members
of the Roman Catholic Church of Anaheim.




<^^^^i1'-^$^:^^i^^'''^<o^<^-^J^^




HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1473

AUGUST LEMKE. — A good ranch manager, prudent alike as to his investment
of money and time, who is not only a lovable father and an ideal husband, but is also
in every respect a public-spirited citizen, is August Lemke, the walnut and citrus fruit
grower, owning a handsome ranch — his home place — of twenty acres on the Santa Ana
Canyon Boulevard, two and a half miles northeast of Olive, in one of the choicest and
most promising sections of Orange County. He was born at Liptno in Russia Poland
on February 13, 1874, and there attended local schools in which he was taught to read
both the Russian and the German languages. He was also confirmed in the German
Lutheran Church there. His parents were Carl and Minnie (Zoidtke) Lemke. both
natives of Russia Poland, in which country they married. He was a farmer and
attracted by the greater opportunities in the United States, came to America and the
Golden State. They had five children, all of whom are still living. Mrs. Lemke passed
away in California in 1900, and her husband is still enjoying life, at the age of seventy-
three, in the home of our subject. When Carl Lemke left Russia in 1886, he sailed for
New York, and then spent a couple of months in Philadelphia. On arriving in Cali-
fornia in 1887, he went to Placentia; and such was his remarkable industry, that in
two years he was able to send money back to Russia, to pay for the passage of his two
sons, William and August.

The young men then sailed from Hamburg and landed in New York City in
January, 1890. They were also not long in reaching Placentia, where they went to
work immediately as farm hands. They were a year and half in the service of the
Santa Fe Asphaltum Company, making asphaltum pipe, and building culverts, and then
August Lemke worked for nine months as a section hand at Olive, at $1.25 a day. For
two and a half years, also, he was zanjero for the Santa Ana Valley Irrigation Com-
pany, but otherwise, he has always been employed at ranch and orchard work.

On November 3, 1896, Mr. Lemke voted for William McKinley, and having per-
formed one good deed, the next day he was married to .-^uguste Lemke, also a native
of Russia Poland, who came to California on January L 1890. Her parents Christian
and Julia Meilke Lemke, were farmer folks in their native country. Christian Lemke
migrated to the land of the Stars and Stripes in the fall of 1888, intending if he liked
it to send for his family. After stopping a few months in Denver, Colo., he came on
to Anaheim where his three brothers, Charles, August and John, were residing, and
here his wife and five children joined him in January, 1890. He engaged in farming,
eventually improving a ranch of twenty-five acres on the Santa Ana Canyon Boulevard,
where he resided until his demise in March, 1909, being survived by his widow, who
resides in Olive. This worthy couple were the parents of eleven children, eight of
whom are living, Auguste being the oldest of all; she came to Orange County when
she was twelve years old, thus having the satisfaction of completing her education in
the Placentia and Orange schools. Seven children blessed this union: George K. C.
Lemke was in the U. S. Navy during the late war, was honorably discharged, and is
now at home. A twin brother, John Benjamin H. Lemke, married Ada Schmadeke, ot
Iowa, and assists his father on the ranch. Alma, the third in the order of birth, is the
wife of Walter Timken, the rancher, in the Olive precinct, and has one child, Law-
rence. Emil A. E. Lemke attends Concordia College in Oakland, and Minnie, Edwin
and Arthur are at home. One child died at birth.

Endeavoring to be thoroughly consistent in religious matters, Mr. Lemke helped
to organize the Lutheran Church at- Olive, and now serves that useful body as one of
its trustees. He has also been elected justice of the peace for Yorba township four
times and is now serving his fourth term in that office — and while a Republican in mat-
ters of national politics, is a good nonpartisan "booster" in and for everything that per-
tains to the development and advancement of Orange County. He helped to start the
First National Bank at Olive, and is one of its stockholders, and is also a member of
Olive Hillside Groves Association at Olive. Besides his fine home ranch, he owns
two other ranches in the same canyon — one of seven acres devoted to Valencia oranges,
and a third ranch of thirteen acres devoted to Valencias and walnuts.

HERMAN LEMKE. — An honest, studious, hard working and self-reliant rancher,
who has become a highly respected citizen, is Herman Lemke, who owns eleven and
a half acres of as fine and well bearing land, planted by himself in 1906, 1908 and 1916,
as can be found anywhere in Orange County. He was born in Russia-Poland on Sep-
tember 22, 1880, one of a family of nine children, eight of whom — four boys and four
girls — are still living, and is the eldest son, and the second eldest child of the widow,
Julia Lemke, who owns an excellent ranch of eleven acres in the Yorba precinct, but
lives in Olive, enjoying life at the ripe age of sixty-three. The father of our subject.
Christian Lemke, died in his fifty-sixth year at the home ranch in the Yorba precinct.



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 165 of 191)