Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 166 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 166 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


The parents were both born and inarried in Russia-Poland, and came to California
with their five children in 1890. They settled first at Placentia, then went to Orange
53



1474 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

for a couple of years, and next lived for five years at Villa Park; from which place
Mr. Lemke came to the Santa Ana Canyon and bought his twenty-six acres of barley
stubble land, which he set out and improved.

The lad Herman attended the German Lutheran School at Orange and the gram-
mar school at Placentia, at the same time that he worked on his father's ranch. He
also served for three years in Company E of the Anaheim Home Militia. He was
married in 1906 to Miss Emma Kolberg, a native of Orange and a daughter of the
late Wm. Kolberg, the rancher; her mother, Joanna (Beske) Golberg died in 1912. Since
marrying, Mr. and Mrs. Lemke have built a house on their ranch three miles northeast
of Olive on the Santa Ana Canyon Boulevard, and they have continued active as mem-
bers of the Lutheran Church at Olive. In national politics a Republican, Mr. Lemke
lends his most cordial support to every good local movement and in doing so, excludes
partisanship altogether.

Progressive to a high degree in every way, Mr. Lemke uses a Cleveland tractor,
and a Buick roadster. He informs himself as to the latest scientific methods, and so
operates according to the most approved and up-to-date ways. Naturally, he has not
only succeeded in his own affairs, but he has pointed the way to others.

ROBERT LEMKE.— The identification of the Lemke family with the development
of the agricultural interests of Orange County dates back to 1890, when Christ and
Julia (Mielke) Lemke, immigrated from Russia- Poland to the United States and
settled near Olive, Cal., where Mr. Lemke purchased twenty-five acres of land. He
followed ranching in this section until 1909, when he passed away. His widow still
resides at Olive. Mr. and Mrs. Lemke were the parents of nine children: Herman,
Augusta, Millie, Ernest, Robert, Lena and Gustaf, twins, Henry and Tillie.

Robert Lemke, the subject of this review, was born, in 'Russia-Poland, February
8, 1888, and when in his second year he was brought by his parents to America. He
was reared in the neighborhood of Olive and attended the splendid public schools of
Orange, from which he subsequently graduated. From boyhood he had always followed
farming and he now owns and operates a splendid ranch of ten acres on South Magnolia
Avenue, near Anaheim, which he devotes to Valencia oranges. His trees range from
three to nine years of age, the place formerly being known as the Kennedy ranch.

In 1917, Mr. Lemke was happily united in marriage with Miss Emma Paulus, a
native of San Luis Obispo County, the daughter of David and Marie Paulus, born in
Port Washington and Milwaukee, Wis., respectively, who located in San Luis Obispo
County in 1888 and in 1908, moved to Orange County and there spent the remainder
of their days. One son, Elmer H., has been born to them. Mr. and Mrs. Lemke are
members of the Lutheran Church at Olive, and politically, Mr. Lemke is a supporter of
the Republican party. He is recognized as one of the successful ranchers of his com-
munity, where he is held in high esteem for his integrity of character.

MANLEY C. CHASE.— A resident of Cypress, well known throughout Orange
County, not alone because of his business dealings, which were extensive, but also
because of his sterling worth as a citizen, is Manley C. Chase. A native of Maine,
he was born at Bingham, Somerset County on May 16, 1852, the son of Calvin S. and
Martha J. (Andrews) Chase, both old residents of Maine, where the father died in
1855, when Manley C. was a lad of three years. Three children were born to Mr. and
Mrs. Chase, two of whom, Manley C. and his sister, Mrs. Mary Hollister, are residents
of Orange County. Mrs. Martha Chase married for her second husband, B. J. Hanna-
ford, and soon after they went to Pawnee County, Nebr., where they lived and where
Mrs. Hannaford died in 1868. She had six children by this marriage.

In 1861, M. C. Chase located in Waupun, Wis., then seven years later he went with
the family to Kansas. He later spent some time in Mexico, 1891 to 1894, when he was
a director in the Kansas Investment Company, under whose improvements the American
Colony was fostered. The work of the company was to develop water for the colonists.
In those days conditions were fairly well settled compared to the present, and American
capital was finding its way there in the development of a number of projects. While
living in Kansas, Mr. Chase served as a deputy sheriff of Osborn County, also as a
constable. He has always been intensely interested in school matters and served as a
trustee for many years.

For about twenty-five years Mr. Chase has been interested in drilling water wells
in California and Nevada. For a few years he was in partnership with Dr. Gobar,
though he personally superintended the work in hand. He has sunk many wells that
have meant so much to the settlers in both states where water is "king." Since settling
in California he has been an eyewitness to the wonderful changes that have been enacted
in Southern California and has profited by the increase in land values.

Unfortunately, however, in the year 1918 Mr. Chase met with an accident which
incapacitated him for active service in the field of work to which he had given so many



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1477

years of his time and endeavor, but he at once turned his attention to the poultry
business at Cypress, where he has lived since 1912. He has a thriving flock of a thousand
fowls, equally divided between Rhode Island Reds and White Leghorns. He has suffi-
cient land to raise all the green feed necessary for his flock, and buys grain by the
carload for feeding. He formerly owned a forty-acre ranch north of his present resi-
dence, but this he sold in 1918.

In 1879 Mr. Chase was united in marriage with Miss Sarah L. Reed, a native
of the state of Missouri, the daughter of Levi and Mary Reed, and three daughters
have blessed their home: Nellie, Mrs. S. J. Scally, living in Orange County; Stella,
wife of J. A. Hollingsworth of this county; and Luella, wife of M. W. Sawdey, and they
live in Anaheim. Mr. Chase is a man who stands high in the estimation of his fellow
citizens, rising, as he has. by his own efforts, coupled with honesty and integrity.

JOHN W. STUCKENBRUCK.— A well-known and highly respected citizen of
Orange County who, as a pioneer at Newport Beach, has the utmost faith in this
resort for the future and is therefore influential frequently in inducing others to share
his optimism and to pitch their tents in this most favored spot, is John W. Stucken- .
bruck, who was born in Mansfield Ohio, on December 31, 1852, and was taken to Iowa
when he was two years of age by his parents, Frederick and Jane (Sperry) Stucken-
bruck. For the second time his mother became a widow, and she is now living, in
good health and active, at Lodi in her ninetieth year.

Mr. Stuckenbruck grew up in Tipton, Cedar County, Iowa, remaining home until
seventeen years of age and then worked two years on farms and after that for seven
years clerked for one man, J. L. Sherman, the storekeeper at Tipton in that state.
There, too, he was married to Miss Alice D. Wirick, a native of Iowa who died at
Tustin twenty-seven years ago, esteemed and beloved by many as an excellent woman,
a devoted mother of two children. Eva E. became Mrs. A. J. Hadley, the rancher at
Tustin, and the mother of three children — Emma, Johnny and Woodrow W.; while
Allie May is the wife of B. C. Killifer, the section foreman for the Salt Lake Railroad
Company, an old and trusted employe at Pasadena. They have one child, Allie May.

When Mr. Stuckenbruck came to Newport Beach in 1887, it was only a sand-
spit; and the ne.xt year he worked for James McFadden, then a butcher, and drove the
meat wagon and attended to customers in the meat market. Now he owns the building
where the Newport Restaurant is located, and also the house at the rear, and he will
soon put in a substantial store building with a brick front. In making such an invest-
ment as this, he is giving proof of the faith long in him that Newport Beach has
natural attractions, and enjoys a superior location bound to make it one of the great
summer and winter resorts along the Coast, as it is now the favorite with those familiar
with its advantages. He was elected and served as the first city marshal of Newport
Beach, and he is now the oldest settler living here, having been here many years before
the town was started.

HENRY G. HEINEMANN.— Not everybody has been able to bring along to
California such a neat sum as that of Henry G. Heinemann, $35,000 available, when he
migrated hither from Nebraska, nor has everyone shown equal courage and common
sense in investing what he had at Olive, among the most rapidly developing communi-
ties of promising Orange County. Now he owns an excellent orange ranch of nine-
teen acres under a high state of cultivation, and lives in a beautiful new, up-to-date
bungalow, erected in 1920 at a cost of some $5,000. He was born in the ancient town
of Oldenburg, the capital of the grandduchy of that name, not so very far from the
seaport of Bremen, on October 26, 1860, the son of Henry G. Heinemann, a well-to-do
farmer who had married Miss Elise Looschen. They lived and died where they had
established their comfortable home. They had ten children, among whom Henry was
the fourth child and the second son.

He enjoyed a common school, but excellent education, and was brought up in the
German Lutheran Church. For a while he worked at farming on the home ranch, and
after that entered the service of a distillery at Delmenhorst, in time coming to know
how to distil himself. .About that time some friends, who had been in America visited
his home town;- they were very enthusiastic about the United States, and such was the
effect of their reports upon him, that when twenty-eight years of age, Mr. Heinemann
decided to cross the ocean himself. This decision was made in face of the fact that he
had always done well at home, and had valuable connections there. He had become
an accountant and scrivener, for example, in a local government office, and had, besides,
a three-year military service and training. He attended an officers' training school,
and rose to the rank of sergeant in the German army. He was, therefore, well up on
military science and tactics. During the late war. he had a brother-in-law and seven-
teen nephews among the Germans, and four nephews were killed and six wounded.



1478 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

Mr. Heinemann sailed from Bremerhaveii on the steamship "Saale" of the North
German Lloyd, and landed at Castle Garden in New York on March 1, 1889. He came
on west to Hooper, Nebr., and for two years worked out as a farm hand, for three
years rented land, and after that bought there 240 acres. In Nebraska, too, in 1891, he
was married to Miss Gesine Rehling, also a native of Oldenburg, who was nine years
old when she came to America accompanied by her parents. They were August and
Margaret (Bulter) Rehling, and her father was a blacksmith. She saw New York for
the first time in 1881, and after her ninth year, grew up in Dodge County. Nebr.

After their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Heinemann farmed in that state, and by very
hard work, prospered so that they became owners of a well improved and very valuable
Nebraska farm of 240 acres. Having borne the burden and heat of such labor under the
vicissitudes of the Nebraska climate for so many years, Mr. Heinemann's health broke
down, as he became a sufferer from asthma and rheumatism. He made his first visit to
California in the spring of 1908. with the intention of establishing a home here, but the
conditions in Orange County were so radically different that he became homesick for
Nebraska, to which state he returned and continued for a year and a half.

In the fall of 1909, however, his thoughts were again directed Cailfornia-ward.
and he speedily sold his excellent farm of 240 acres to a neighbor for $110 per acre,
and in December of that year came out to California with his entire family, and
settled at Olive. He bought twenty-four acres, in reality two places, at Olive, and
immediately began making substantial improvements. In 1919, he sold five acres of
his holdings, and during the same winter made preparations to build a beautiful bunga-
low residence, to cost $5,000. It was completed in 1920.

In October, 1903, Mr. Heinemann returned to Germany and paid a visit to his old
home at Oldenburg. His father was then dead, but his mother was alive at the age of
seventy-five. She lived to be ten years older, and passed away in July, 1914. Mr. and
Mrs. Heinemann have five children: August, the rancher of Orange, married Amanda
Guenther; Ella is the wife of August Matthes, who recently came to reside in Orange
County, moving from Nebraska, where he has a fine farm of 640 acres; Freda married
Walter Lieffers, the rancher, and lives near Orange; William H. is the husband of
Fanny Wurl, and is a farmer in Cheyenne County, Nebr.; he served in the late war.
and was honorably discharged from military service; George A. Heineman is at home.

In national politics a Republican, it is as a thorough American that Mr. Heine-
mann works to elevate civic standards, and to promote public-spiritedness. He loves the
adopted country of his choice, and has endeavored to do as much for it, as it has done
for him; and no citizen could set before him a more laudable or practical ideal.

A. F. STOHLMANN. — An honest, capable, self-made and successful citrus rancher
is A. F. Stohlmann, who is also a clever and experienced carpenter, well known for his
activity in local affairs, particularly in his support of the various loan drives and other
campaign movements in the recent war. He was born at Williamsburg, Iowa, on
January 10, 1883. the son of Frank Stohlman, a native of Germany, who came from
Europe direct to Williamsburg in the far-away spring of 1867. He bought 160 acres
there, and set to work, in accordance with his native industry and sagacity, to bring it
up to a high state of cultivation.

Soon after his arrival here, too, Mr. Stohlmann married in Iowa, Miss Lenora
Kleinmeyer, also a native of Central Germany, but one who came out to the United
States with her parents when she was a mere girl. Together, they formed a model
home; and Mr. Stohlmann became one of the very successful farmers of the Hawkeye
State, and when he had made his valuable contribution as a foreigner to the develop-
ment of the great American West, he passed on to his eternal reward, at the rather ripe
age of sixty-six.

A. F. Stohlmann, the subject of our sketch, enjoyed the best common school edu-
cation that the country schools of his district, supplemented by the help his parents
gave, could afford, and becoming early interested in carpenter work, he soon learned
the carpenter's trade under the supervision of a brother-in-law. At that time he worked
for a dollar a day and his board, and it is safe to say that he earned every penny of it.

He was not satisfied, however, to stay at home, and when the first opportunity
to come out to the Pacific Coast presented itself, he was wide-awake to avail himself
of the chance. He accompanied a rich uncle, who was a shipper and raiser of stock, and
landed in Los Angeles in the spring of 1904. Tbis uncle was E. F. Kleinmeyer, who
continued to deal heavily in livestock, and he worked for him at carpentering.

In 1906 he purchased the sixteen-acre ranch which he has since greatly improved,
and he also took water stock in the Santa Ana Valley Irrigation Company. Now he
has ten acres of Valencia oranges in full bearing and the balance in walnuts. He uses
a tractor and other up-to-date farm implements and machinery. This ranch work
monopolizes all his time and attention, which is rather a pity, for Mr. Stohlmann is a




^"



s;;



^



^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1481

contractor and builder of no mean order and has again and again demonstrated his
superior ability.

On April 28, 1910, Mr. Stohlniann was married to Miss June Baker, a native
daughter born at Orange on June 17, 1893. Her father was M. A. Baker, a rancher at
Fairview, in Orange County, and at Fairview she was educated. Five children were
granted this worthy couple, and three in God's providence have survived: Frank
Martin is deceased, having passed away on March 31, 1918; Alton Theo; Melvina May;
Lorina June, born on December 23, 1916, died on May 1 of the following year; and
Alvin Laverne. The family are active members of the Lutheran Church at Olive, and
reside in a beautiful home erected in 1910, where they dispense a hospitality thoroughly
Californian. Mr. Stohlniann is a Republican in matters of national political import, but
first, last and all the time an American. As a result, he and his family did their full
duty as American citizens in the recent trying times of the World War.

PAUL JOHN LOTZE. — There is ample opportunity in Fullerton for the exercise
of the energies of those engaged in the plumbing business, and the proprietor of the
Plumbing and Sheet Metal Works, in that city, Paul John Lotze, is well known as a
superior workman in this industry. A native of Germany, he was born November 29,
1884, and is the fourth child in order of birth in William M. and Augusta (Simnig)
Lotze's family of seven children. The father, an engineer by occupation, brought his
family to California from Germany in 1900, his son Paul John having preceded him
to America a year previous.

Paul John acquired his education in the public schools of Germany, and at the
age of fifteen, in 1899, he emigrated to the United States, locating first in Kansas, where
he remained three years working on a farm and during the winter attending school.
He then journeyed west to San Bernardino, Cal., in 1902, where he remained six years,
and in the meantime learned the plumbing and sheet metal trades. In January, 1908,
he located at Fullerton, Cal., and established his business, beginning on a small scale
and has grown and prospered ever since its inception, and in which he keeps three
people employed. Among the excellent work he has done may be mentioned the
plumbing in the Fullerton high school, and in the Evangelical Association Church at
Anaheim, the plumbing in the residences of H. C. Ruggles, George L. Vance, J. R. Car-
hart, C. C. Chapman, and many other of the best residences in the community, as well
as doing work for the city of Fullerton. In 1920, Mr. Lotze erected a very modern
business establishment on a lot that he owned at 124 West Commonwealth Avenue.
Here he has his office and display room, as well as his workshop. The work done by
Mr. Lotze is his best advertisement and he is desirous of satisfying his patrons.

The marriage of Mr. Lotze on June 30, 1910, united him with Miss Amelia
Matilda Holve, a native of Germany, who came to California to make her home in
1907. They are the parents of three children — Clarence, Walter and Lucille. The
family home is located on an acre of ground on South Highland Avenue, Fullerton,
and the land is a fine orange grove in full bearing. Mr. and Mrs. Lotze are members of
the Evangelical Association. In politics Mr. Lotze is an independent voter, supporting
the best men and measures. Fraternally he belongs to the Fraternal Brotherhood. Not
a little of the success achieved by this enterprising business man is the result of the
encouragement and cooperation of his wife, to whom he readily gives much credit.
Honorable in his dealings, industrious in disposition, his influence is ever used un-
sparingly in promoting the welfare of Fullerton, and his many friends esteem him for
his public zeal and his many excellent characteristics.

ST. PAUL'S LUTHERAN CHURCH, OLIVE.— Prominent among the agencies
making for permanent uplift in Orange County must be mentioned St. Paul's Lutheran
Church at Olive, now under the able direction of Rev. William A. Theiss, U. A. C. of
the Missouri Synod. A native son, and therefore an American thoroughly familiar with
California conditions. Mr. Theiss was born at Oakland on November 9, 1889, the son
of Professor J. G. and Lena (Bahls) Theiss of that city, and received his early education
at the Parochial School in Oakland, presided over by his father. He then studied at
Concordia College at Milwaukee, preparatory to his final course at Concordia Seminary
at St. Louis.

When he was married, at the home of the bride in Milwaukee on .August 19, 1913,
Mr. Theiss chose for his wife and helpmate Miss Emma Juds, the daughter of August
and Bertha Juds of Milwaukee. In that city she was born on January 24, 1887. and
there she was educated, living at home with her parents until she was married.

The first charge of Rev. Mr. Theiss was at Petaluma, where he" continued until
1916, and then he came to Olive and has since been the indefatigable pastor of the
St. Paul's Lutheran Church. Two living children. Eleanor M. and Waldemar A.,
have blessed the home life of Reverend and Mrs. Theiss; and in the busy world



1482 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

this estimable pair have found congenial work in vigorously supporting the Liberty
Loan and Red Cross drives, during the late World War.

The history of St. Paul's Church is full of interest. In 1907 ten active members
of the St. John's Lutheran Church at Orange, all residing at Olive, asked their release
in order to found a Lutheran Church at Olive; and this request having been granted
by the congregation of St. John's, St. Paul's was founded when the present school
building served as the main church edifice. On November 3, 1912, the corner stone
of the new church was laid, and that year saw the completion of the edifice. From
the small beginning noted, the church has grown until there are now 140 communi-
cants, of whom forty-nine are voting members.

Important among the various activities of the church should be noted the thorough
and patriotic work done by the Parochial School, with forty-eight pupils, under Prin-
cipal A. W. Schmid. The sessions are held in the old church building, and the attend-
ance is on the steady increase.

JOHN LE BARD. — For the past thirteen years John Le Bard has been a resident
of Orange County. He is an experienced rancher of the San Joaquin precinct, where
he operates a 500-acre ranch devoted to the culture of beans. He employs from fifteen
to twenty hands on the ranch, and some years the ranch has yielded as high as twenty
sacks of beans per acre.

He is a native of Milton, LTnion County, Pa., where he was born October 29, 1861,
and was reared and educated in his native state and county. When eighteen he migrated
to Ft. Dodge, Kans., where he rode the range on a large cattle ranch, the "R Bar S,"
becoming adept at roping and riding. Afterwards he was in the employ of government
contractors hauling and delivering goods between Camp Supply, Indian Territory, and
Ft. Elliot before the time of railroads across the continent, and he is full of remini-
scences of many interesting experiences that occurred during the seven years he was
thus engaged.

In 1891 he removed to California and located near Fillmore in Ventura County
and engaged in farming, and in 1906 came to Orange County, where he has since resided.
He is the son of Joseph and Sarah Le Bard. The father, a veteran of the Civil War,
serving in a Pennsylvania regiment, was wounded while in the service of his country.
In his youth the father followed a seafaring life for a number of years. Of the parental
family of eight children five are living, and three of the number are residents of Cali-
fornia: James, R. B. and John, our subject.

On April 3, 1893, Mr. Le Bard was united in marriage with Miss Mary J. Mc-
Donald, born in Truro, Nova Scotia; she was a daughter of Wm. and Lillian (Suther-
land) McDonald. The father died in Nova Scotia and Mary came to California with
her mother when she was nineteen years old. Mrs. McDonald spent her last days with
Mrs. Le Bard, passing away in 1918. Mr. and Mrs. Le Bard's union has been blessed
with ten children, eight of whom are living: Adam served in the Third Supply Train
in the World War and now resides in Santa Ana; Viola, a graduate nurse also lives in
Santa Ana; Aubrey served at Camp Lewis, and is now assisting his father; Thomas
served overseas in the World War and is also assisting on the home farm; Harry, Roy,
Hugh and Grace. Mr. Le Bard is a Republican and fraternally is a member of the



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 166 of 191)