Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 171 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 171 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


broad to permit of any narrow partisanship, particularly when matters of purely local
moment are at stake.

The marriage of Mr. Tubbs to Miss Stella Brock occurred at Santa Ana on April
12, 1904, and was one of the pleasant social events of the season. Her parents, D. E.
and Clara Brock, were for years well-known residents of Santa Ana. Mr. and Mrs.
Tubbs are the parents of a daughter, Gwendolyn. Mr. Tubbs is a life and charter
member of the Elks, and also belongs to the Orange County Country Club, and he is
fond of outdoor life — hunting, fishing and golf.

MRS. C. ELLA WEAVER.— .A. resident of California since 1902, Mrs. C. Ella
^\'eaver, proprietor of the Santa Ana Rug Factory, was born near Carney, Hamilton
County, Ind., a daughter of Samuel and Rachel (Newby) Wilson, born in North
Carolina and Indiana, respectively. Her father was a saddler and later a contractor
and builder and also followed farming. Later on the family moved to Wilsall, Mont.,
and there the father died. His widow came to Santa Ana in 1898 and she died here in
September. 1918, aged eighty-two years.

Ella Wilson was the oldest of their five children and is the only one of the family
residing in Santa .Ana. Her parents moved to Iowa when she was eight years of age
and she completed the normal course in Albion Seminary, after which she engaged in
teaching. For sixteen years she taught in dififerent counties, including Marshall. Story,
Grundy, Shawnee and Hardin counties, Iowa, finally becoming principal of the Walnut
Hill school in the suburbs of Des Moines. .After this she removed to Topeka, Kans.,
and taught for two years; she also attended the Friends University at \\'ichita, Kans.



1522 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

Miss Wilson was married at Newkirk, Okla., in 1900, wliere she became the wife
of Samuel K. Weaver who was born near New Enterprise, Pa., and who was a traveling
salesman in Kansas until 1902, when they located in Santa Ana whither her mother had
come four years before and Mrs. Weaver joined her mother who was making rugs and
was desirous of making carpets. The rugs were originally made by Miss Esther Hill
and Lou Burner on West First Street across the street from their present location,
when her mother took the embryo business over and they continued the undertaking,
In the spring of 1909, her brother, M. C. Wilson, joined them and they started the new
place; he was a carpenter and made the looms and other machinery and they then
named it the Santa Ana Rug Factory. Since 1918 Mrs. Weaver has been the sole
proprietor.

Mrs. Weaver still preserves the first loom made and used in Santa Ana. Her
mother had the first fly shuttle loom on the Pacific Coast. She now has power looms,
cutters, frayers and twisters, run by electric power, manufacturing carpets of all sizes
up to eleven and a half feet in width and is the largest rug factory in the county.
Her displays at the various Orange County fairs, as well as the Glendale Bazaar, has
taken its share of prizes. She was bereaved of her husband July 20, 1919. Mrs. Weaver
is a member of the Friends Church in El Modena, as were her parents, and is a strong
advocate of the principles of Prohibition.

JOHN M. ORTEGA. — A prosperous young rancher whose family is intimately
associated with the early history of Orange County, is John M. Ortega, of East Com-
monwealth Avenue, FuUerton, in which town he was born on April 2, 1895, the son
of James J. and Lucy (Wagner) Ortega. His father was born and reared in San
Gabriel, and was one of the Ortegas so favorably known in California history; while
the Wagners came West so early that two of the brothers made two trips across the
plains, traveling with ox teams, and fighting their way through the Indian country at
every step. The Wagners engaged in stock raising and ranged their sheep over the
acres of land now active as oil fields and could have purchased it for fifty cents an
acre, but like hundreds of others could not see its value then; however, later on they
purchased some land in the same vicinity and set out orange and walnut orchards, and
then divided it among the children.

John M. Ortega went to school in Placentia and graduated from the high school
at FuUerton, and he also attended the Fullerton Junior College. During these youthful
days, he lived on his father's ranch; but on April 8, 1916, he took the momentous step
of establishing his own household and was married to Miss Margaret Chapman, a
daughter of Fred Chapman of Fullerton. The gifted lady was born in Chicago, 111.,
but came to California when a child; and here she attended the same educational
institutions as had imparted instruction to her husband.

In the fall of 1919, Mr. Ortega purchased six acres of walnuts and six acres of
Valencia oranges on East Commonwealth Avenue, under the service of the Anaheim
Union Water Company, having before that owned a ranch of eleven acres in North
Whittier Heights which he set out to Valencia oranges. At the end of two and a half
years he sold the property which he had secured as an investment.

One child has resulted from the happy union of Mr. and Mrs. Ortega — Charles
Bille. They are members of the Christian Church of FuUerton, and Mr. Ortega exer-
cises his rights as a free citizen at the polls without party dictation and strictly in
favor of the right man for the best place.

ARGUS ADAMS. — A successful California rancher who made no less than four
trips to the Pacific Coast before he was persuaded that he had really found the Golden
State, and yet a representative man of aflairs in Orange County today who has never
regretted that he pitched his tent here, is Argus Adams, a director in both the Fuller-
ton Mutual Orange Growers Association and the Loma Vista Cemetery, and a resident
on South Acacia Avenue, Fullerton. He was born at Allendale, Worth County, Mo..
on December 27, 1867, the son of James Adams, who is still living, at the age of
ninety-four, in Anaheim, one of the oldest men in Orange County, having been born in
Missouri. He married Miss Ruth W. Cowan, who passed away a couple of years ago,
also at an advanced age.

Argus went to the Allendale schools, and afterwards attended the normal school
at Stanberry, in Gentry County, at the same time growing up on his father's farm
where he learned to make himself useful. When twenty-two years of age, he started
out to do for himself, and for a while he rented a farm in Missouri. Then he pur-
chased 230 acres, which he devoted to general farming.

At Grant City, Mo., on January 27, 1892, he was married to Miss Dale Scott,
who was born near that town, the daughter of George P. Scott, a farmer who had
married Miss Jane Ross. She attended the graded schools near Grant City and grew



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1525

up to be very familiar with Missourian and Middle West life. Six years after his inar-
riage, Mr. Adams came out to California for the first time; but after a stay here of
fifteen months, he returned to Worth County. In 1905, he was back in the Southland
and for a year and a half lived at Anaheim; but once more he journeyed back to
Worth County.

On January 1, 1912, Mr. and Mrs. Adams came to California to stay, and at
Fullerton they purchased twenty-three acres on Acacia Street, where thty set out
Valencia orange trees now eight years old. The land is under the Anaheim Union
Water Company, and Mr. Adams markets through the Fullerton Mutual Orange Grow-
ers Association, in which he is also a director. Four children have added joy and
comfort to the lives of this worthy couple. Earl W. married Miss Frances McCloskey;
they have two children, Evelyn and Wayne, and they live in Terrabella, Tulare County;
Wayne H. resides on South Acacia Avenue, southeast of Fullerton; Blanche is Mrs.
Ernest Purbeck of Oakland; and Loman H. is at home. Mr. Adams is a Mason, being
a member of the lodge, chapter and council and in politics believes in independent
action by each voter, irrespective of party lines.

Wayne H. Adams was born near Allendale, Mo., on November 23, 1897, and
attended the local district schools. When he came to California in 1912, he continued
his schooling at Fullerton and was duly graduated from the high school in that town.
Meanwhile he helped his father with ranch work, and when he was able, he purchased
from him five acres. This was in 1918, and since then he has been busy there develop-
ing the land and cultivating Valencia oranges. He has the service of the Anaheim
Union Water Company, and his four-year-old trees are therefore well irrigated. On
June 20, 1918, Mr. Adams was married to Miss Juanita Owens, a native of Waxahatchie,
Ellis County, Texas, and the daughter of L. A. Owens. One child, Donald Adams, has
blessed this union, and gives promise of carrying onward an already honored name.

NORMAN LE MARQUAND. — Representative of the younger business men of
Orange County is Norman Le Marquand, the wide-awake manager of the Fullerton
Lumber Company, to whose wholesome expansion is traced the experienced guiding
hand of our subject. He was born in Mount Forest, Ontario, Canada, October 18, 1882.
the son of John and Maria Margaret (Pilcher) Le Marquand. John Le Marquand was
born on the Island of Jersey and he was later a fruit merchant in Canada; after
settling in California he engaged in the restaurant business in Los Angeles. Mrs. Le
Marquand was born in Mount Forest and was the daughter of Joseph Pilcher.

Norman received his education in the public schools of Ontario and early in life
became associated with the lumber trade in his native province. Soon after the family
located in California he became an employe of the Southern California Lumber Com-
pany in Los Angeles, remaining with that concern from 1899 until 1905; when he
removed to Fullerton in December, 1906. it was to become assistant manager of the
Brown and Dauser Lumber Company with whom he remained for three years, then
returned to Los Angeles. In 1910 he again came to Fullerton and ever since he has
been connected with the Fullerton Lumber Company here and has very materially
engineered its growth in this section of the county. By his close -attention to business
affairs he has gained a wide circle of friends and also built up a substantial business
for his company.

Mr. Le Marquand served two years as secretary of the Fullerton Board of Trade,
and he is one of the board's delegates to the Associated Chambers of Commerce of
Orange County — and no better could be found, considering his public-spiritedness. He
is a charter member of the Knights of Pythias and of the Fullerton Club, of which he
was one of the organizers and its first secretary. Politically he is a Progressive. In
many ways he has contributed to the welfare of the community with which he has been
closely identified for nearly fifteen years, during which time he has witnessed the won-
derful development of the whole of Southern California.

CLARENCE R. VANDERBURG.— A far-sighted, progressive young rancher who
worthily represent ones of the sturdy pioneers to whom the United States owes so
much for the expansion of a great empire, is Clarence R. Vanderburg, who was born
at Gushing, Nebr.. on September 6. 1893. His parents are Lester G. and Jennie
(Hiserodt) \'anderburg. prosperous farmers in Nebraska before they came out to
California in 1894 and purchased fifteen acres in Orangethorpe, five acres of which
were set out to walnuts and some orange trees, while the balance was vacant land. In
1908, however, Mr. Vanderburg sold his ranch and moved to Montebello; and there
he bought ten acres devoted to oranges, some deciduous fruit trees and truck gardening.
In 1914, Mr. Vanderburg again sold his holdings, and came to Fullerton, having bought,
the year previous, ten acres in the Orangethorpe district.

On account of these successive movings of the family. Clarence ^'ande^burg
attended the school at Orangethorpe for five years and then the school at Fullerton



1526 HISTORY OF ORAXGE COUNTY

for another three, and afterward went to the Montebello high school, where he was a
student the first year the high school was organized, and he graduated from the
Montebello high school in 1913. On May 11. 1916. he married Miss Hilda Richards,
who was born in the famous cathedral town of Salisbury. England, the daughter of
Herbert R. and Alice M. (Johnson) Richards. Her father was a florist in England
and edited flora! journals; and having removed to Bristol, Mrs. Vanderburg attended
the parochial schools there. In 1906. her folks came out to Toronto, where her father
spent a few months, coming on to Chicago in December, still interested in the floral
trade; and to that city his family followed. Mr. Richards remained in Chicago for
five years, both conducting a florist business and representing the "American Florist":
and during that time Mrs. Richards, esteemed by all who had come to know her. passed
away. In 1910 Mr. Richards came west to California and two years later settled in
Montebello; and there he still lives, active as a florist.

After his marriage, Mr. Vanderburg continued on his father's ranch, caring for the
ten acres, five of which he had purchased, and he also built a home there. The ten
acres are devoted to the culture of Valencia and Navel oranges, and though under
the service of the Anaheim Union Water Company, there were eight neighboring
ranchers who joined together and put down a well, having a fourteen-inch flow, suitable
for irrigating their various properties. Mr. \'anderburg markets his oranges through
the Fullerton Mutual Orange Growers Association, and sends to market some of the
choicest fruit raised hereabouts.

A son, Raymond Lester, has blessed the happy home of Mr. and Mrs. Vanderburg,
who attend the Methodist Church. Mr. Vanderburg for years was a Prohibitionist, but
now that the desired-for goal has been reached, he believes that attention should be
concentrated on the fitness of the candidate for office.

THEODORE A. MEYER. — A progressive, successful rancher who has had the
advantage of wide travel and a varied, extensive experience in other fields, is Theodore
A. Meyer, a native of the city of Hanover. Germany, where he was born on May 24,
1860, the son of John C, and Albertine (.\sh) Meyer. Theodore received a good edu-
cation in the excellent schools of that country, completing his college course at the
gymnasium in Hanover, after which he served in the German army from which he
retired with a commission. His father was an educator who attained prominence and
was well known beyond the confines of Germany for his furthering of commerce; and
perhaps it was because of his early familiarity with distant lands that led our subject,
when he was only eighteen years of age, to leave home and go to South Africa, where
he engaged in plantation work. When the Zulu War broke out, he joined the Colonial
forces and served throughout the campaigns as a first lieutenant. He purchased provi-
sions and cattle from the Boers for the use of the Imperial troops, and so aided in
British victory.

After the war. he made a small fortune in the diamond fields of South Africa, and
later he took a trip to the West Coast. He spent two years in Africa, and then sailed
for India. He was some time in Calcutta and later in Ceylon; and he had charge of
government billets in India. After a year in India, he went on to Australia, and there
he settled in Adelaide; and so well was he pleased with that country, that he spent
thirty years there. He made up an expedition to explore the continent, intending to
cross from the south to the north, about midway east and west; but he struck hardships,
all his natives left him, and with another white companion he nearly died of thirst while
crossing the arid regions. On this trip he discovered a gold mine that nine years later
proved to be very productive of the coveted metal. While in Australia, he was an
importer of house-furnishing goods, and he was also captain of the mounted police in
the vicinity of Tanunda and he was postmaster for seven years at Tanunda. He intro-
duced irrigation into southern Australia, but had to overcome the stupid obstinacy of
the natives, who were slow to take up new ideas.

In 1911, Mr. Meyer came to California and settled at Upland, where he purchased
six and a half acres of oranges and for six years made that neighborhood his home.
In 1917, he sold out and came to Orange County. Now he has a twenty-acre ranch
on Anaheim Road, near Sunkist Avenue, with four-year-old trees, which are developing
splendidly in a rich soil. He receives the irrigation water needed from a private pump-
ing plant known as the Eucalyptus Water Company.

Mr. Meyer has been twice married. He was wedded to his first wife, Miss Emily
Edmonds, in Australia, a native of England who had come to Australia when she was a
mere child. And in Australia the estimable lady died in 1906. the mother of five chil-
dren, three of whom are still living: Mary is Mrs. Martin of Pasadena; Emily is Mrs.
Muir of Los Angeles; and there is Theodore J. who served in the great W^orld War
with the regular army as one of the Thirteenth Field Artillery, Fourth Division. He




l\lcuxA,^>Ud«^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1529

went through all the major offensives in France, and returned home to civilian life
in September, 1919.

In February, 1917, in the city of Los Angeles, Mr. Meyer was married to Mrs.
Maud (Farnham) Clay, born in Sanbornton, Belknap County, N, H., a daughter of
Horace and Anna B. (Pike) Farnham, born in Maine and New Hampshire, respectively.
Her maternal great-grandfather Clark served in the Revolutionary War. Horace Farn-
ham was an expert temperer of tools and watch springs. He passed away while on
a trip to Maine while his wife died in New Hampshire. Maud Farnham was reared in
St. Lawrence County, N. Y., where she specialized in bookkeeping and when eighteen
years of age went to New York City where she was a bookkeeper for different com-
mercial enterprises. In that city, too, she was married the first time, being united with
Myron Clay. She came to California in 1907, and became the pioneer settler in the
Golden State tract on the Anaheim Road in Orange County. When she purchased this
twenty acres it was overgrown with cactus and brush, which she had cleared and
improved for farming and she is now the only one left of the original settlers on the
tract. She is a member of the Placentia Presbyterian Church as well as active in its
Missionary Societies and Ladies' Social Circle. Mr. and Mrs. Meyer are both enter-
prising; are believers in protection and Republicans.

EDGAR W. MOORE. — When the early settlers of California realized the advan-
tage and oftimes the necessity of irrigating their crops, they naturally chose the
easiest method of accomplishing this — the open-ditch system; but as the country became
more thickly settled and the water problem grew more acute, the wastefulness of this
primitive means was recognized, and thus the opportunity for a new industry was
created, that of the manufacture of concrete pipe. In this business Edgar W. Moore
has been successfully engaged since coming to FuUerton in 1914. A native of Missouri.
Mr. Moore was born at Knobnoster, in that state, on April 24, 1881. His parents were
William P. and Martha (Skaggs) Moore, and of their seven children, Edgar was the
third in order of birth. He received his education in the public schools of the locality
and in the hard school of experience. At an early age he began working on the farm
and this he continued through the years of his young manhood.

In 1907, desiring to seek broader opportunities for advancement, Mr. Moore,
accompanied by his mother, came to California, and locating at San Bernardino, became
overseer of a large tract of land, remaining there for six years. He then came to Fuller-
ton and with his brother engaged in the manufacture of concrete pipe at 202 West Santa
Fe Avenue. In 1919 he bought out his brother's interest, and is making a splendid
success of his business in which he employs about ten men. He finds a market for
practically all of his output in the vicinity; in addition, he also contracts to install the
pipe in orchards, as well as doing a general cement contracting business.

On June 6. 1918, Mr. Moore was married to Margaret Wix Haffly, and a little
daughter, Mary Margaret, has come to bless their home. The family attend the Baptist
Church, and in politics Mr. Moore is a Democrat. He is a member of the Fullerton
Board of Trade. With a deep interest in all that concerns the future of Orange County,
particularly of Fullerton. Mr. Moore can be counted upon to take an active part in
every worthy civic project.

ALEXANDER J. CHRISTLIEB.— A citrus rancher w^ho. through his thorough
and exceedingly valuable knowledge of citrus nursery stock, and his scientific experi-
ments with trees, has done much to advance horticulture in Orange County, is Alex-
ander J; Christlieb, the rancher of West Orangethorpe Avenue, who was born in Long
Lake. Minn., on August 1. 1882. His father was I. A. Christlieb, a farmer known for
his progressive methods, and he had married Miss Mary E. Clasen. In 1897 he came to
Los Angeles to live.

Alexander grew up on his father's farm, while he attended the common schools
of his home district, and in 1900 he fellowed his father to California. The latter pur-
chased forty-nine acres on Brookhurst Road and Orangethorpe Avenue, and at that
time it was vacant mesa land; and Alexander and his brother, B. H., helped to develop
the acreage, which is devoted exclusively to oranges. They have a private pumping
plant with a capacity of ninety inches of water, and so have already solved the irrigation
problem. I. .A. Christlieb passed away in 1917, esteemed and lamented by all who
knew him.

Mr. Christlieb is also interested with his 1)rother in a half-section of land in the
Imperial Valley; it is agricultural land, but at present has no water supply. Ht expects
to prove up on 'it, however, and had it under what is known as the Relief .\ct. On his
Fullerton ranch he is diggin.g large pits, three to four feet deep, and putting in a
heavier soil, and thereby hopes to get orange trees of greater strength and .growth.
Mr. Christlieb is a charter memlicr of the Knights of Pythias of .Anaheim, and the
.\naheim Exchange.



1530 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

JESSE GOODWIN. — A farmer whose prosperity and good taste are attested by
the magnificent home he has recently erected on his ranch at the corner of East
Orangethorpe and Raymond, a modern structure, by the way, notable as one of the
finest country residences in Orange County, is Jesse Goodwin, who was born near
Stockton in San Joaquin County on April 6, 1876, the son of Almon Goodwin, also a
native of San Joaquin County, and a nephew of Major Goodwin, the right hand man of
General Fremont on his perilous expedition into California. Almon Goodwin was a
playmate with Gov. James H. Budd in their boyhood days, and with his brother George
took over the ranch of their father, who came from St. Lawrence County in New
York State. He married Miss Katherine Vilinger, and became a man notable in Orange
County for his association with its rapid development.

Jesse Goodwin was four years old when his parents came to Southern California;
he grew up on the farm and attended the public schools at Tustin and Santa Ana.
From a lad he assisted on the ranch and became an adept at farming. In 1897 he en-
gaged in raising sugar beets near Buena Park, but that year proved a dry season, and
he decided to discontinue the venture. From 1898, for a year and a half he was em-
ployed by the Buena Park Creamery, after which he came to Orangethorpe and began
his career as a citriculturist by improving a nineteen-acre orange grove now in full
bearing. However, he has disposed of all but nine acres fronting on East Orange-
thorpe Avenue devoted to raising Valencia oranges, having brought the grove to a high
standard as a producer both as to quantity and quality of the fruit, ample water for
irrigation being obtained from the Anaheim Union Water Company. The elegant
residence already referred to was completed in December, 1919, where the family
generously dispense the old-time California hospitality.

In November, 1897, Mr. Goodwin was married at Buena Park to Miss Rose
Hickey, born near Montgomery, Ala., and the daughter of Richard and Jane (Weathers)
Hickey. They came to California when Mrs. Goodwin was ten years old, so that she
almost regards herself as a native daughter. Six children have been granted Mr. and
Mrs. Goodwin. Ina graduated from the Fullerton high school and. marrying, became



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 171 of 191)