Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 172 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 172 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Mrs. Jesse C. Michaeli of this vicinity; Almonis also a graduate of the Fullerton high
school, while Alice I. is still a student there. The other children, Herbert, James and
Donald, are pupils at the grammar schools. Mr. Goodwin was made a Mason in
Fullerton Lodge No. 339, F. & A. M., and was e.xalted in Fullerton Chapter, R. A. M.;
he is also a member of Santa Ana Council, R. & S. M. and the Fullerton lodge of
Odd Fellows, being a past grand in the latter. With his wife he is a member of both
the Eastern Star and the Rebekahs. Mrs. Goodwin is a member of the Methodist
Church in Fullerton while Mr. Goodwin is a firm believer in protection and naturally
a decided Republican.

LORON W. EVANS. — The prominent citizen and prosperous rancher, Loron W.
Evans, whose property lies about one mile north of El Modena, is not only a good
horticulturist, but a most excellent manager. His thrift and progressive ideas make him
a leader among El Modena's citizens, and in the seventeen years of his residence in
this locality he has prospered and is now enjoying the fruit of his arduous labor of
past years. His home ranch comprises sixteen and one-half acres, and this in con-
junction with the ranch of his sister, M. Lulu Evans, makes thirty-five acres under his
care. With the exception of two acres Mr. Evans set out the entire thirty-five acres
to citrus fruit, starting his groves from the seed and afterward budding them to
Valencia oranges and lemons, of which latter he has five acres.

Mr. Evans is a native of Iowa, having been born near Ackley, August 8. 1870.
His father Owen, was born in Reading. Pa., and his mother, who in maidenhood was
Emily L. Andrews, was a native of Southern Ohio. His parents were married in Iowa
and the father followed the occupation of a house painter, decorator and carriage
painter. The paternal grandfather, Owen Evans, who was a native of Wales, was
an iron worker and foundryman. and built one of the first blast furnaces ever erected
in Pennsylvania. He was married in his native country to Annie Peregreen. Mr.
Evans is the second child in order of birth in a family of five children, namely, M.
Lulu, Loron W., Jessie M.. Frank Uriah, and Myrtle, the latter three being deceased.

Loron W. was four years of age when his parents removed to Firth, Lancaster
County, Nebr., in 1874, and the family shared incidentally in the vicissitudes that came
to that section of country through the grasshopper scourge in those years. The elder
Evans followed his trade of house and carriage painter at Firth, and when. Loron
was a lad of fourteen the family moved to Dawes County, Nebr., 170 -miles from the
railroad, and homesteaded a piece of land. Loron helped turn the virgin sod of Ne-
braska and attended the district schools, later becoming a student in the State Normal
at Peru, Nebr. He passed the teachers' examination and taught school in Dawes
County, Nebr., and in 1903 accompanied his father, mother and sister to California.



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1533

settling in El Modena precinct, on the east side of Alameda Street. The father pur-
chased twenty-one and a half acres of land and later added to this by the purchase of
another twenty acres. The father died at El Modena in 1908, aged sixty-three; the
mother was sixty-seven at her demise in 1914. In 1901-2 Loron W. made a trip
to Oregon and engaged in the vocation of carpentering at Corvallis, remaining there
a little over a year. He returned to Orange County when his father purchased the
present home place, February 19, 1904. His marriage in 1907, united him with Miss
Rosa B. Robinson, daughter of Fletcher Robinson of North Carolina, in which state
Mrs. Evans was also born. She came to California about the same time that her hus-
band came to the state. Two children have been born to them — Norol Owen and
Richard Fletcher by name.

For many years Mr. Evans has been associated with the John T. Carpenter Water
Company, which furnishes water for irrigation. He was first a stockholder in the
company, then became a director and in 1908 was elected its president, in which capacity
he has served continuously ever since. The company served about 1,100 acres of
citrus land and obtained the water from Santiago River wells. Mr. Evans is a trustee
from El Modena precinct on the Orange Union high school board, and has served on
the election board and as juryman in the district court at Santa Ana. He is a stock-
holder in the National Bank of Orange, is a member of the Central Lemon Growers
Association at Villa Park, is director and vice-president in the McPherson Heights
Orange Growers Association and also a director and president of the Orange County
Fumigation Company from its organization. Politically he is a Republican in national
issues, but in local matters is governed by principle and votes for the man he thinks
best qualified for the public office. Mr. and Mrs. Evans are members of the First
Methodist Church at Orange.

ANTONE BORCHARD.— This enterprising, successful rancher was born near
what is now Oxnard, where the well-known sugar beet factory is located, on September
6, 1883. the son of Casper Borchard, a native of Hanover, Germany, who is still living
and resides at Newbury Park, Ventura County. His wife, who was Theresa Maring,
also a native of Hanover, died when Anton was in his fourteenth year. The father
never remarried, but he divided his lands among his children, and now has the satis-
faction of seeing all of his family useful, prosperous and honored citizens. He and
his good wife were hard-working, frugal people, and they became large landowners in
\'entura. Madera and Orange counties.

When Casper Borchard first came to California, the livestock business was the
one great occupation which engaged nearly all of the white settlers in the state, and
he soon began to raise cattle, horses, mules, some sheep and even goats. He was from
the beginning well supported by his five sons and three daughters, the boys caring for
the cattle on the hills of \'entura County from the time they were old enough to ride
a horse. For a while, Casper had a herd of about 900 cattle, and he became the owner
of mor-e than 3,000 acres in \'entura County, and of about as wide a stretch in Madera
County. He came down to Orange County, and with his excellent judgment of soil
and farming lands bought extensively in the Gospel Swamp south and east of what
is now Huntington Beach. He added to his original purchases from time to time,
until he became one of the large landowners in Orange County, while he also retained
his large holdings in \'entura and Madera counties.

These worthy parents reared eight children. Rosa is now the wife of Silas Kelley,
the rancher of Ventura County, and resides at Newbury Park; Mary presides over her
father's house; Leo was an extensive rancher near Huntington Beach, now retired in
Santa Ana; Casper, Jr., is a rancher near Newbury Park; Antone. the fifth in the order
of birth, is the subject of this review; Frank P. is another large landowner residing in
Santa Ana; Charles is a rancher at Fairview, Orange County; and Theresa is the wife
of Ed Borchard, a rancher at Newbury Park.

Antone Borchard began riding the range with his father, making himself generally
useful about his father's extensive grain and stock farm, and so well did he early learn
to handle horses that he was able to drive two, four, six, eight or, finally, even thirty-
two horses on the great Holt combined harvester and thresher used by the Borchards in
reaping the golden grain of \'entura County. He saw the establishing of the great
Oxnard Sugar Factory; and as the Borchard land was well-suited to the growing of
sugar beets, they became interested in that industry and took rank among the leading
beet growers, as they had previously led in the livestock and grain farming industries.

When twenty-two years of age, in partnership with his younger brother, Frank
P. Borchard, he rented his father's grain ranch of 3,000 acres in Ventura County, and
for four years, or until he married, the brothers farmed it successfully together. In
1911 Mr. Borchard was married in that county to Miss Anna Kellner. a young lady of
German birth who has proven a most excellent wife and helpmate. She was born in



1534 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

the ancient town of Duderstadt, Hanover, the daughter of John and Anialia (Adler)
KeUner, farmers who also had a bakery and a restaurant, and who because of their
industry and enterprise, became prosperous. Her father had been a schoolmate with
Casper Borchard; and when the latter returned to California from a visit to Germany
in 1906, Miss Kellner and several other young women and men of Duderstadt accom-
panied him. Her parents both lived and died in Germany, and she still has four sisters
and two brothers living in that country. They duly landed in New York after an un-
eventful voyage across the Atlantic, and on August 24, 1906, reached Oxnard. Since
her advent in the Golden State, Mrs. Borchard has thoroughly adopted i\merican and
Californian ways, and she is in perfect accord with their institutions. Physically and
mentally well-endowed, she is among the busiest of women, caring conscientiously for
her household and her four children — Vincent, Frances, Bernice and Wilma.

For four years Antone farmed with his brother, Frank P., and then for four years
he was in partnership with another brother, Casper, Jr. After his marriage, the
partnership was dissolved; but Antone continued to operate one-half of the Borchard
holdings in Ventura County until 1914, when he came down to Orange County, where
the father, Casper Borchard, already owned much land, and bought the Ed Farnsworth
ranch of 245 acres. This he has well improved by building a beautiful country resi-
dence in bungalow style, with barns, water wells, a tank house and other desirable
accessories. It is commandingly situated on the east side of the county highway,
running from Santa Ana to Greenville, about four miles south of Santa Ana.

Mr. Borchard has never been afraid of hard work, and is never idle, and he has
certainly succeeded in the raising of livestock, grain farming, and the cultivation of
sugar beets, as well as lima beans. His land is exceptionally adapted to the latter,
and produces as many as twenty-two sacks to the acre. In 1918 he helped to organize
and is an officer in the Greenville Bean Growers Warehouse. The company has erected
a fireproof cement warehouse, on the line of the Pacific Electric at Greenville, and they
have installed up-to-date machinery for cleaning and sorting the beans, and are handling
approximately half a million dollars' worth of beans annually.

Although a man who has succeeded beyond the majority of men, so that he is
now a man of wealth and affluence. Antone Borchard still actively farms his own place,
and can be seen any day superintending the place and doing what is necessary to be
done around the ranch, where he is constantly making improvements.

HERBERT ANDREW- FORD, D. D. S.— The distinction of being a native Cali-
fornian, and the son of a California pioneer .belongs to Herbert Andrew Ford, D. D. S.,
of Fullerton. He was born at Fullerton, Cal., June 27, 1895. and is the son of Herbert
Alvin and Carrie (McFadden) Ford. His father, who is deceased, followed the occu-
pation of ranching during his lifetime. The mother is still living, and Herbert A. is the
youngest of her three children.

He received a good public and high school education, which was supplemented
with a professional course in the dental department of the University of Southern
California, from which he graduated in 1918 with the above degree. He saw service in
the Medical Corps of the U. S. Army, stationed at Camp Greenleaf, Ft. Oglethorpe, Ga.,
and upon being discharged he opened his practice in Fullerton. He is a young man
of fine characteristics, standing on the threshold of a promising future, and has become
substantially identified with the dental profession at Fullerton, in which he has built
up a lucrative practice. He is a member of Los Angeles County Dental Association,
Southern California Dental Association and the National Dental Association, and also
of the Delta Sigma Delta Fraternity.

He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Fullerton; politically he is
nonpartisan; and fraternally he affiliates with .\naheim Lodge 1345 of Elks; is a member
of the Fullerton Club and the Hacienda Country Club of La Habra as well as the Board
of Trade, and takes a warm interest in the general welfare of Orange County.

PLEASANT B. LEE.— One of the enterprising ranchers of Orange County, Cal.,
engaged exclusively in growing lima beans and deeply impressed with the great possi-
bilities of the soil and climate is Pleasant B. Lee, a native of Tennessee, where he was
born at Cookville, Putnam County, February 26, 1884. His parents Nathaniel and
Millisa (Myatt) Lee were also natives of Tennessee, and of their family of nine children,
seven are living. Pleasant B. is the eldest and the only one of the family in California.
The other children are: William, Eldridge, .A.lfred, Everett, Clinton and Naomi.

From a lad Pleasant B. cheerfully learned the tasks necessary for making a suc-
cess of farming as carried on in Tennessee and meanwhile obtained a good education
in the grammar school in his neighborhood. He assisted his parents on the home
farm until he came to Orange County, Cal.. in 1906. For three years he was in the
employ of Mr. Zemeau, a retail oil merchant in Santa Ana, then for two years with the
Pioneer Truck Company after which he had a position with the Standard Oil Com-




a.ha^oZ



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1537

pany until he resigned in 1915 to become foreman on the present ranch of W. A. Cook
until 1919, when he took over the lease of 200 acres, which he devotes to raising lima
beans. He is an energetic and progressive young man of the type that makes a suc-
cess in life. He established domestic ties by his marriage in Santa Ana, February 14,
1907, to Miss Margaret L. Matthew, a native of Santa Ana and a daughter of Oscar and
Cora (Ratcliffe) Matthew, born in Forest Hill, Cal., and Bellefontaine, Ohio, respec-
tively, who were married at Downey, Cal., where they were farmers; they now make
their home in Santa Ana. Mrs. Lee is the eldest of their five children and received her
education in the public schools. Mr. and Mrs. Lee are consistent members of the
Christian Church and fraternally Mr. Lee is affiliated with the order of Maccabees.

THOMAS BLACKLOCK WELCH.— For many years well known in the Eastern
markets through his association with the mercantile business, Thomas B. Welch has
spent the past ten years of his life as a citrus rancher. Mr. Welch was born at Bots-
ford, Westmoreland County, New Brunswick, April 21, 1850, his father being the Hon.
E. A. Welch, a prominent attorney, who was also interested in agriculture and lumber-
ing. His mother was Jean (Blacklock) Welch. They were natives of Ecclefechen,
Dumfriesshire, Scotland, and were members of old Presbyterian families who were
prominent in Scotch history. Mr. Welch was the eldest of eight children, only three
of whom now survive. He was educated in the pay schools of his home locality
and assisted on the home farm and in lumbering. When a young man of sixteen
he apprenticed to the dry goods business serving three years, when he joined an im-
porting house in St. John, New Brunswick. In 1877, the city of St. John suffered a
disastrous fire and Mr. Welch had the misfortune of seeing his home and interest in the
business wiped out. The following year he brought his family to the States, and
settled at Boston, Mass. For many years he was foreign buyer of fine fabrics, linens
and laces for a number of exclusive importing firms in Boston, then St. Louis, then
Chicago, where he was with Mandel Bros, for nine years, then New York City with Lord
and Taylor, continuing for thirteen years. He made numerous trips abroad in this
connection and traveled extensively throughout all the large European countries.

In 1910, Mr. Welch retired from active commercial life and came with his family
to California, and on April 21 of that year he purchased a tract of twenty acres at
Yorba Linda which he named the Valley View ranch. He at once began experimenting
in citrus culture and in this he has been very successful and his ranch is now one of the
most attractive places in the district. When he settled at Yorba Linda, ten years ago,
there were only a couple of houses in sight and Mr. Welch has taken a leading part
in the development of this thriving place. He was instrumental in organizing the
Yorba Linda Chamber of Commerce and served as its president for the first two years
of its existence. As president of the Yorba Linda Water Users Association he w-as
one of the most active in their litigation, and finally won out in the courts over the
investment company that was endeavoring to float a bond issue. An enthusiast on the
subject of goods roads, he was an earnest supporter of the bond issue to build the
boulevard in that locality.

In Halifax, Nova Scotia, on November 18, 1875, occurred Mr. Welch's marriage,
when he was united with Miss Julia A. Crook, a native of St. John, N. B., the daughter
of Capt. Isaac and Maria (Canton) Crook, the father being interested in a number of
merchant vessels sailing out of Halifax. Mrs. Welch was reared in Halifax and given
an e-xcellent education in the Misses Crawford's School. She spent many interesting
days on board her father's vessels, while on their cruises. Since coming to California,
Mrs. Welch has taken an active interest in all the community aflfairs at Yorba Linda,
was president of the Woman's Club, and it was through her instrumentality, associated
with Mrs. Carl Seaman, that the custom of holding the beautiful Easter sunrise service
there was established and it was she who had the cross erected on the hill where this
service is held.

Mr. and Mrs. Welch are the parents of five children: Jessie M. is the wife of
Frederick B. Murlock, superintendent of the Memorial Hospital at Richmond, Va.;
Edward A. is owner and manager of the Medford Wholesale Grocery Company at
Medford, Ore.; Emma V. is the wife of Nelson P. Young of Los Angeles; Edith G. is
the wife of Charles R. Selover of Yorba Linda. It was throu.gh Mrs. Selover's initiative
that the Yorba Linda Public Library was started, and she supplied the first books for
the shelves. The youngest son, Harold C, is the manager of a ranch of eighty acres
at La Habra. Mr. Welch is devoted to the land of his adoption and gave freely of
his time and means in all the Red Cross work and loan campaigns during the recent
war. In politics he is a stanch adherent of the Republican party. The family are
members of the Presbyterian Church and their comfortable home is a center oi
hospitality for the community.



1538 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

ARTHUR WALDO PURDY. — From good old "down East" Nova Scotia have
come much of the brawn and brain which at times have proven so efficacious in pro-
moting needed enterprises in the Golden State along the most rational and successful
lines, and Nova Scotians settling in California have taken a prominent part, in particular,
in the development of California agriculture. Arthur Waldo Purdy is a living repre-
sentative, in his aggressive operations as owner of the Fullerton Sanitary Dairy, of just
what the thoroughly-trained farmer froni that favored section of America may do, given
the almost unlimited opportunities of the Pacific Coast.

He was born in Digby County, N. S., on August 28, 1882, the son of Albert H.
Purdy, a farmer, who married Miss Sophia Potter, by whom he had twelve children.
Arthur was the ninth in the order of birth, and was educated partly in Nova Scotia,
partly in New Hampshire, to which Yankee State he had gone when fourteen years of
age. Later he attended the high school at Wilton, N. H., from which he was grad-
uated with the class of '02, and after that he took a course at a first-class business
college in Boston. Mr. Purdy, therefore, is in part the product of American institu-
tions, as he is today the most intense and loyal of American citizens.

For a while he engaged in the lumber business with a brother, taking up all sides
of it, even to the running of a sawmill, and then, for fourteen years, he was dairying,
for six years caring for the estate of J. E. Devlin at Wilton. On the first of December,
1915, he came to Fullerton, and here he again engaged in dairying. Since that time he
has developed his interests so that he now has three milk wagons and supplies the
highest grade of milk to Placentia, Brea and Fullerton. When he started in the busi-
ness here, he had fifteen cows and employed one assistant; now he keeps seven people
busy caring for his ISO cows. In the beginning, years ago, he handled forty gallons
of milk a day: now the output is 300 gallons. Li the spring of 1920 he consolidated
his business with the Excelsior Creamery Company, Santa Ana, of which company he
is now a stockholder and director. Naturally, he is a member of the Board of Trade.

On June 17, 1906, the wedding of Mr. Purdy and Miss Evelyn G. Chesley, a native
of Milton Mills, N. H., took place at Farmington, N. H., and they are blessed with one
son, Roland C. Purdy.

LE ROY E. LYON. — A well-educated, well-read and altogether interesting gen-
tleman whose enterprise and foresight have frequently been demonstrated in a striking
manner, is Le Roy E. Lyon, who was born in Wilmington, Lake County, 111., on Sep-
tember 20, 1885. His father was Edward S. Lyon, also a native of the Prairie State, and
he was a college graduate and an educator. He removed to Atwood, Rawlins County,
Kans., and there became influential as a professor until his health failed, when he
engaged in the mercantile business. Disappointed, that with the new indoor activity, his
health did not improve, he went in for cattle raising and ranching in western Kansas
and eastern Colorado; and thus occupied, he continued until his death. He had married
Miss Julia Hegar. a native of Wisconsin; and of their three children — LeRoy is the
oldest and the only one of the family in California.

Le Roy was brought up in Kansas and attended the grammar school until his
twelfth year, when he removed with his parents to North Park, Colo., and there attended
the high school at Boulder. Having been graduated from the latter, he matriculated in
the law department of the University of Colorado at Boulder, and continued to study
there until his junior j-ear; but on account of the bad effect upon his health by the con-
finement, he abandoned the law course, and in 1911 came out to California to seek a
permanent location.

During vacations. Mr. Lyon assisted his father and rode the range, and this gave
him an excellent opportunity to practice shooting, so that he became very adept.
^^^len he started in high school, he continued shooting, and in the state matches won
the Colorado state championship. Then as a member of the state team he represented
Colorado in national matches, and for three years his team, and he also personally,
won many honors. In the report of the National Rifle and Revolver Association of
America both his portrait and pictures of the cups he won grace the volumes, and some
of these cups he now has in his home. Mr." Lyon has won over seventy medals for
expert shooting, some of them very difficult to attain.

He holds two seventy-five-yard revolver records — world attainments — having made
ninety-three points out of one hundred, and also the world's fifty-yard record, where
he made forty-nine out of fifty. By being an expert shot he put himself through high
school and college in this manner, nor need he apologize for the means he provided,
especially considering the educational target he was aiming at. In 1912 Mr. Lyon went
back from California to Colorado to participate in the state championship match, and
it was then that he made this wonderful record in shooting, and for the third time.

When, in 1911, he bought his present place of eighteen and one-half acres in the
Commonwealth school district it was undeveloped land, partially covered with cactus.








CO



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1541

This he cleared off and leveled the land; then he bought an interest in a water com-
pany, and with others developed water and installed an electrical pumping plant,
distributing the water by means of cement pipe lines. The plant was incorporated as
the Pilot Water Company, and of this organization Mr. Lyon is secretary and treasurer,



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 172 of 191)