Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 176 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 176 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


she makes her home with her daughters. Mr. and Mrs. Lemke are the parents of three
children: Lydia, Elsie and Adolph William F. In religious matters Mr. Lemke is a
member of the German Lutheran Church at Olive, while his wife belongs to the German
Baptist Church at Anaheim.

William Lemke is a patriotic American citizen, proud to be known as a self-made
man who has gained financial success by his own unaided efforts and by his industry
and the practice of economy.

GEORGE M. HARTLEY.— A well-informed, level-headed young man, who has
a splendid ranch of \'alencia orange trees in a high state of cultivation near one of
the tasteful bungalow homes of the locality, and who, through his business specialty,
is contributing toward the preservation of other ranch properties and, therefore, doing
a commendable public service, is George M. Bartley, the deputy constable and sprayer,
and popular son of a highly-esteemed pioneer. He was born at Lompoc, in Santa
Barbara County, on October 21, 1880, the son of David J. Bartley, a native of New
York State, who came to Salinas, Cal., in 1875, an agriculturist who had farmed in
Nebraska. In that state, too._ he had married Miss Mary Ann Hoyt, a lady always
esteemed by all who knew he'r for her high ideals and capability as a wife, mother,
friend and neighbor. Mr. Bartley died in El Modena in 1909, seventy-two years old;
and Mrs. Bartley passed to her eternal reward after a distressing railway accident.
In 1888 with Grandfather William Bartley and an aunt. Miss Rose Benton. Mrs. Bartley
was driving along Fruit Street, Santa Ana, when their vehicle was struck by a Santa
Fe locomotive, and the occupants were instantly killed. Seldom has there been wider
regret at the demise of anyone than in the case of this estimable lady, whose broad
sympathies enabled her to be of service to many, and whose integrity, like that of her
devoted husband, was marked. They had three children: Will H., the rancher at Buena
Park; Margaret E., now Mrs. Thomas, residing at Fresno; and George Milton, the
subject of this sketch.

He was only one year old when he was brought to El Modena by his parents,
and he is therefore the citizen who has lived there longest continuously. He was
brought up at El Modena on his father's ranch, and attended the local grammar school
while he made himself useful on a forty-acre ranch. His father was a vineyardist. and
in common with others suffered heavy losses when the mysterious blight killed the
grapevines said to have been of the finest quality. George was always handy around
horses, and being* a good teamster, drove a tank wagon for the Union Oil Company in
Los Angeles for five years.

Then he went to Corcoran, in Kern County, and there bought a farm and engaged
in ranching from 1907 until 1909. In that year, he was married at Bakersfield to Miss
Frankie S. Rudolph of Lompoc, the same town, by-the-way. in which Mx. Bartley was
born; and after that he and his bride came back to El Modena, reaching home just
before his father died.

Since 1909, Mr. Bartley has put in his time at El Modena, in 1916 becoming a
licensed sprayer and branching off into the business of spraying trees. He bought a
bean spraying outfit with a two-hundrod gallon tank, and is doing his full share of



1568 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

the work in both the Villa Park and the El Modena districts. He belongs to the
Orange Growers Association at McPherson, and is active in promoting in every way
the interests of all the community, including the further appreciation of land. He is
also a member of the El Modena Farm Center. Mr. Hartley's father paid sixty-five
dollars an acre for his land, and our subject has refused $5,000 an acre.

A Republican in matters of national politics, Mr. Bartley served for three years
as deputy sheriff under Sheriff C. E. Ruddock, and for four years as deputy constable
under Logan Jackson; and he is at present deputy constable under William A. Holt, of
Orange. He is also a member of the election board.

Mr. and Mrs. Bartley have had two children: Dorothy E. is in the grammar
school at El Modena; but Glennagene died when fourteen months old. The family live
in a comfortable bungalow recently built by Mr. Bartley himself at El Modena,
opposite the El Modena grammar school. Mr. Bartley belongs to the Woodmen of
the World.

JOSHUA BARKER. — An intelligent, industrious and ambitious worker, who is
valued by all who know him as an honest, reliable citizen and a good fellow, is Joshua
Barker, the rancher near Irvine Station, whose able and faithful wife is also just the
helpmate needed. He works for Henry J. Harkleroad as foreman on his fine ranch of
160 acres to the southeast of Irvine, and no more competent overseer probably could
be found.

A native son happy in his association with the Golden State, Mr. Barker was born
at Tulare on April 20, 1862, the son of William Barker who was an early settler in
that county. He was a native of Missouri, and was married to Miss Margaret Burris,
who hailed from that same state, and there he became a successful farmer and stock-
raiser. William Barker has passed away; but his esteemed widow is still living at
Tustin. They had ten children, eight of whom are still living; and among them Joshua
is the oldest.

His schooling was very limited, for from boyhood he had to do plenty of hard
work at farming. He began hiring out for low wages when a lad, and continued to
work by the month until he was thirty-five, when he succeeded in renting land in Ven-
tura County. He planted blackeye beans, and enjoyed, as never before, the harvest,
for what he reaped was entirely his own. Later, he came down to the San Joaquin
ranch in Orange County; and since then he has moved back and forth between here
and Ventura County, sought by many both for his services and his experience and
advice, and contributing something definite, in his own hard work for the higher
cultivation of land, toward the development of California agriculture.

At Santa Ana, Mr. Barker was married to Miss Martha Horton, a native of Ven-
tura and they have had six children: Walter, who married Miss Maude Boyd of Santa
Ana, is foreman on a ranch at San Luis Rey; Roy, the husband of Miss Lottie Steward
of Ventura, is farming near Orange County Park, the proud father of two children.
Hazel and Donald; Alice married Charles Van Horn, a truck driver on road work
for Orange County, she has one boy, Glenn, and resides at Santa Ana; Freddie is em-
ployed at ranching at Talbert, and is the husband of Miss Maude Albertson of that
town, by whom he has had two children, Lloyd and Llodine; Elsie is the wife of Victor ,
Vann, a ranch emplo^'e at- El Centro; and Jim is in the U. S. Navy. It will thus be
seen that not only have Mr. and Mrs. Barker done well themselves, but they have
reared a family, each member of which has gone forth into the world and become a
credit to the good Barker name.

JOHN H. STINSON. — The well-known rancher, citrus grower and dairy farmer,
John H. Stinson of Taft Avenue, Orange, Cal., has attained a gratifying degree of
success in the vocation he has chosen. He is a native of Hall County, Nebr., where
he was born at Doniphan, January 3, 1880, and is the son of Edward and Dinah (Harrod)
Stinson. His father was born thirty miles from Dublin, Ireland, came to the Province
of Quebec, Canada, with his parents when a babe, and was reared there. His mother
is a native of London, England, and accompanied her parents to A^merica from her
native city, settling at Rockford, 111., where later her marriage occurred. After their
marriage the parents lived in various places and finally settled in Hall County, Nebr.,
going thither from Illinois. The father traded his team of horses for a relinquishment
and proved up on a 160-acre homestead, where his son John H. was born and reared until
he attained the age of eleven. He worked on his father's farm, held the breaking plow
and turned virgin soil of Nebraska when only nine years old. The family migrated to
Orange County, Cal., and settled at Villa Park, then called Wanda Station, on the
Southern Pacific, where the father had already traded Nebraska land for a forty-acre
ranch on Vista Street, Orange; here he followed farming until his death, April 11,
1911, being survived by his widow.



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1571

John H. is the eleventh child in a family of fourteen children, six of whom are
living. He received his education in the grammar school at Orange, and worked on
his father's forty-acre ranch. At the age of nineteen he assumed the responsibilities
of life and purchased fifteen acres on Vista Street, Orange, for $1,200. He was married
in Orange, July 26, 1905, to Miss Ethel Durler, daughter of Reverend Levi and Alice
(Lyon) Durler, who now live at Orange. Mrs. Stinson was born at Stryker, Ohio, and
was reared in Ohio, Indiana and Michigan, coming to California with her parents in
1904. She is the oldest of four living children. Mr. and Mrs. Stinson are the parents
of a daughter, Jennie Fay by name, and have an adopted son whose name is Ernest.
Mr. Stinson owns a ranch of seventeen acreS on Taft Avenue, which he planted to
Valencia oranges, now in bearing, and is also a joint owner with his brother, E. G.
Stinson, in a seventy-eight-acre dairy ranch on the Santa Ana River on Taft Avenue.
This was a barren waste of brush and trees, which they cleared, leveled the land and
planted to alfalfa. Although they have service for irrigation from the S. A. V. L Com-
pany, they have installed an electric pumping plant of 125 inches. They have a well
selected dairy herd of 129 cows. Their buildings are modern and sanitary and equipped
with milking machines.

Mr. Stinson is a tyjje of citizen of whom Orange County may well be proud and
has been most helpful to the permanent welfare of that section. He is active, intelli-
gent and interesting, with a strong appreciation of humor, which is perhaps a heritage
from his Hibernian ancestry. Mrs. Stinson is a woman of pleasing personality, cul-
tured and refined, with most excellent qualities of heart and mind. She is a member
of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Orange and is active in church work, the Ladies'
Aid Society and the Home Mission Society, and both are popular among their large
circle of acquaintances.

CLYDE R. ALLING. — The interesting career of a hustling young business man
of Santa Ana afifords another illustration of not only the unrivalled opportunities-pre-
sented for advancement and success in California, and especially in Orange County, but
the elastic capability of the typical American in rising to the occasion when Oppor-
tunity opens the door. This wide-awake young man is Clyde R. Ailing, proprietor of
the "Cherry Blossom" bakery, confectionery store and cafe in Santa Ana, which is
pleasantly and conveniently situated at 120 East Fourth Street.

He was born in the city of Chicago on August 28, 1892, and in that city passed
his early life. He attended the grammar schools, and commenced his mercantile oper-
ations against heavy odds by working as a newsboy and selling the Chicago Tribune
and Inter-Ocean on the crowded streets. This strenuous exertion was rendered neces-
sary because of political intrigues which had half-ruined his father, a contractor. The
lad developed something of the system that he displays today, knowing just where
and when to sell, and catching the big idea of giving people what they want, and
when. After a while, however, he saw that selling newspapers could not be the
avocation he must eventually be looking for, and he changed jobs, to run a soda
fountain at Peoria, 111.

In 1912, heeding Horace Greeley's advice, "Go West, and grow up with the
country," Mr. Ailing came to Santa Ana. Cal., and for a year he worked at the soda
fountain in the Dragon store. Two years later, in January, he made sacrifices to buy
L. J. Christopher's confectionery store in Anaheim, now the "Cherry Blossom" and
the success of that popular resort today shows whether or not his judgment was good.

Sighing for more worlds to conquer — as a local scribe once said of him in an
appreciative write-up — Mr. Ailing, on November 25, 1915, returned to Santa Ana and
leased the building formerly occupied by the California National Bank, preparatory
to opening another Cherry Blossom. Then came the flood, and for four months Mr.
Ailing paid rent on a building he could not occupy. Worse than that, no one seemed to
care a fig. whether he came or not; but in March, 1916, hs threw open for business what
he considered to be the finest-equipped confectionery in Santa Ana. He spent $30,000
in fitting up and finishing this most attractive place in Orange County, occupying as it
does the entire building, with the basement; and when the people began to find their
way to the "Cherry Blossom," they also began to comprehend what had been added to
the worth-while attractions of Santa Ana.

The basement is used for chocolate dipping and a stock room, and on the first
floor there is the soda fountain, the restaurant and the ice cream parlor. The second
floor is devoted to the manufacture of candies and other confections, for Mr. Ailing
manufactures almost everything that he sells. There is an ice house in the rear, where
the choicest of ice cream is made, not only for patrons in town, but for such near-by
resorts as Laguna Beach, Newport and Balboa, and also for Orange and other towns.
Boasting the finest dining room in the city, it is not surprising that the cash register
should show an annual patronage of a couple of hundred thousand satisfied customers.



1572 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

A likeable man, an honorable competitor and, most of all, an untiring worker,
Clyde Ailing long ago rose to the point where he was a great factor in the develop-
ment of wholesale and retail trade in Orange County. With only twenty-eight years
behind him, it is also not surprising that he should feel a great future ahead. Of genial
disposition, with always a word of cheer, no matter what the weather happens to be,
he draws customers as a honey-pot draws flies. His handshake is one you feel. His
words are words you remember. And most of all he is busy, for long hours are re-
quired to run "Cherry Blossoms." and he is always on the job. This strenuosity, how-
ever, in business hours does not prevent him from snatching a few moments, now
and then, to enjoy the company of his fellow Masons and Elks.

JOHN GREEN BAKER.— A successful farmer and bean grower who had the
advantage of a wide and valuable experience in other pursuits and elsewhere before
he came to the Irvine ranch, is John Green Baker, who lives one mile and a half
northeast of Irvine. He was born in Madison County, Tenn., on August 9, 1874, amid the
stimulating environment of the Cumberland Mountains, and until he was fifteen lived in
that state. Then, with his folks, he moved to La Veta, Colo., and for a year had the
hard work of a farmer's lad. After that, he went to Texas, then to New Mexico, and
later still to Arizona; and in 1912 he arrived in the Golden State. He thus went to
school in three states — Tennessee, Colorado and Texas. His father was the Rev. W. H.
Baker of the Baptist Church, in whose ministry for years he did faithful, self-sacrificing
service, and he is now living in Arkansas, retired, at the age of eighty. His mother
was Miss Nancy Green before her marriage, and she was born in North Carolina and
died in Texas. She had eight children, of whom John is the seventh in the order of
birth of the family.

John G. Baker started out for himself in Texas as an employe on a Donley County
cattle ranch, then teamed and rode range in New Mexico and mined at Bisbee, Ariz.;
and on coming to California he followed the carpenter trade in Los Angeles until 1915,
when he came to Santa Ana and engaged in ranching. He now operates 160 acres on
the Irvine ranch, which he has planted to lima beans, and he is among those who get
satisfactory results whenever the conditions of climate make it possible to succeed.

When Mr. Baker was married in Los Angeles in 1912, he took for his wife Mrs.
Inez Asbell, nee White, a native of Ohio; and together they have worked hard to
solve the problems peculiar to California agriculture, and they are gradually attaining
more and more of an enviable position. A consistent Democrat, but a broad-minded
American, always desirous of pulling with his neighbors for whatever is best for the
locality irrespective of party considerations, Mr. Baker has been serving as a popular
member of the election board in the San Joaquin voting precinct.

CHARLES E. BEST. — An experienced rancher who has entrusted to his judgment
and fidelity an important interest of the Irvine Ranch is Charles E. Best, in charge
of the hog ranch on the old San Joaquin. He was born in San Benito, on November
12, 1871, the son of Newton Wells Best, a native of Port Williams, N. S., where he was
born on October 12, 1838, and his good wife, also a Nova Scotian, who was An'nie C.
Holmes before her marriage, in Nova Scotia in 1864. There their two eldest children
were born. Newton Wells Best left his family on March 19, 1868, and landed at San
Francisco on April 19 of the same year, having lost five days in New York City
waiting for a steamer. Settling first on the San Benito River, then in Monterey, now in
San Benito County, he took up Government land and farmed for five years, and
then he came south to Santa Maria Valley, in Santa Barbara County, where he stayed
another five years, also farming. His next move was to Santa Ana, then in Los
Angeles County, which he reached in 1878, and there he bought a farm in the New
Hope school district, and helped to build the New Hope schoolhouse, acting as one of
the school trustees.

He farmed at New Hope for seven years, and then he went to what is now
Beaumont in Riverside County, then San Gorgonio. San Bernardino County, where he
operated on a still larger scale in farming for fifteen years. When he quit farming,
he moved to Redlands and lived there for fourteen years, running a grocery, and a feed
and fuel business. He returned to Santa Ana in 1914; and there, three years later, his
devoted wife died, aged seventy-one years.

Nine children were born to this worthy couple: William Henry is of the real
estate firm. Best, DeBoyce and Covington in Brawley, Cal.; Frank S. is retired and
lives in Pasadena; Fred N. is a carpenter and builder at Lamona, in Iowa; Charles
Everett is the subject of our review; Arthur L. died when he was fourteen years old;
Maude is the wife of G. M. Austin, an Imperial Valley rancher; P-earla is now Mrs.
W. A. Hively and resides at Turlock. Stanislaus County; Luella has become Mrs.
H. H. Moore and residee at Colton; Joseph died when he was two years old.



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1573

Charles was sent to the grammar school, and grew up with the usual limited, yet
positive advantages of a boy in the country. On September 20, 1898, he was married
to Miss Jessie Speed of Santa Ana, who was born in Potsdam, N. Y., and came to
Orange County in 1892 with her parents, John and Marthesia (Stanton) Speed. After
their marriage they continued farming at Beaumont for eight years, then moved to
Redlands where he lived six years, thence to San Jacinto where he ranched for five
years. In the fall of 1915 they located in Orange County and began ranching on the
Irvine ranch and in the management of the hog ranch, Mr. Best has made numerous
contributions to practical ranching by modern, improved methods.

Five children have gladdened the hospitable, comfortable home of Mr. and Mrs.
Best. Jessie Pearla is a senior in the Santa Ana high school. Everett and Elliott are
twins, and are universal favorites through their playing right and left halfback on the
football team of the Santa Ana high school. And there are Stanton and Ralph Le Roy,
tuU of promise.

E. S. MORALES. — A self-educated ranchman, proud of his descent from one of
the old, distinguished families of Spanish history and tradition, who has come to the
front by sheer force of his own ability and worth, is E. S. Morales, popularly known as
Captain Morales, residing on the Hot Springs road some five miles northeast of San
Juan Capistrano. He is a tenant farmer on a part of the great Santa Margarita rancho,
the oldest grant at San Juan Capistrano. He was born at Los Angeles on October 18,
1856, but was reared at San Juan Capistrano. He had the usual schooling for a boy in
that locality, and early went to work for Richard O'Neill, the father of Jerome O'Neill,
the present owner of the' Santa Margarita ranch, on which farm he has 1jeen steadily
since 1886. He is a vaquero, and one of the fine' old type, and as such can rope and
brand a steer, break a broncho, shoe a horse, skin a beef, or even run a binder and
repair any kind of machinery, such as is used about a farm.

When Captain Morales decided to share his domestic life with another, he married
Miss Morina Garcia, a popular belle of San Juan Capistrano, and also a member of
one of the early Spanish families. She has proved an excellent helpmate, making him
a good home, while he attends to his many responsibilities. All in all. he is a very
unusual man, and it is not surprising that he is honored with the title of captain.
For years, he has been one of the most trusted of the many employes on the great
Santa Margarita ranch, in which principality he is employed at various tasks. He can
drive two, four, eight, sixteen, thirty-two or even sixty-four horses, and he is both a
blacksmith and a machinist of no mean ability. His generous and whole-hearted dis-
position has earned for him the good will of all those associated with, or under him.

During the present season, he is engaged in harvesting a "bumper" crop of the
celebrated "Defiance" wheat on his leasehold of 190 acres; and it will run forty bushels
to the acre, worth five dollars per hundred weight — one of the best crops, very likely,
in Orange County. He has a twenty-inch cylinder Case thresher, and other thoroughly
up-to-date appliances, and is often able to point the way to others in modern agri-
cultural methods.

WILLIAM D. PETERKIN.— .\ busy man of affairs, whose popularity has l)een
founded in part on his expertness in the field in which he is a leader, and partly on his
genial and sympathetic temperament, is William D. Peterkin, the assistant manager
of the Orange County Fumigation Company, whose office is at 349 South Lemon Street,
Orange. He was born in the city of Montreal, Canada, on June 9, 1883, the son of
\Villiam H. Peterkin, the well-known rancher and orchardist of Orange, from whom
he inherited and derived by companionship and personal instruction much of that
ability and knowledge which have enabled him to come forward so rapidly.

Fifteen years ago Mr. Peterkin came from Santa Barbara County to Orange
County and engaged in citrus work. He accepted one position after another and
gradually became familiar with horticultural problems. In time, he was employed by
J. A. King at fumigating, and he has since become assistant to him as general manager
of the Orange County Fumigating Company. It is exceedingly dangerous work, for
science calls for and supplies death-dealing agents, which may also work destruction
to those engaged in the w;ork. No less than ten men died in Orange County, in 1919-
1920, while ridding orchards of damaging scale and other pests.

Some idea of the extent of the Orange County Fumigating Company's business
m.-xy be formed from the fact that they make use of 1,000 tents, and send out fifteen
or more outfits, detailing six men to each outfit, and operating with the Fruit Growers
Exchange of Orange County. They follow the last word of science, profiting from the
experiments with liquid hydrocyanic acid which was first used largely in experimental
tests in 1916. and on an extensive commercial basis the following year for the fumiga-
tion of citrus trees in California. Tliis acid has been known to chemists for many



1574 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

years, but probably because of its instability and its very poisonous nature, it has not
been manufactured on a large scale. It is a colorless liquid, less than three-fourths the
weight of water, and is also very volatile, and boils at less than eighty degrees Fahren-
heit. For these reasons, hydrocyanic acid gas is rapidly given oflf from the surface
of the liquid, and there is danger in breathing in an atmosphere close to an open
container. This danger is increased when the liquid is sprayed or spattered. Gas
from this acid will injure the fruit and foliage if used in excess, in much the same way



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 176 of 191)