Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 177 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 177 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


as the gas generated by other methods; hence it is highly important that such work of
fumigating should be given to a thoroughly reliable concern like the one of which
we are writing.

The killing efficiency of the liquid hydrocyanic acid as compared with pot and
machine generation, or other methods of fumigation was determined, first by com-
parative tests in a funiatorium; second, by comparative tests under form trees; third,
by comparative tests in the field; and fourth, by examination of commercial work in
the field, and it is no wonder that this new means of citrus fumigation has come into
such favor that the Orange County Fumigation Company has all that it can do. The
place, with this new method, where the greatest concentration of gas occurs under
the tent from the liquid is practically the reverse of that from the pot, or portable
generator; with the former method, the most effective killing is at the bottom of the
tree, while with the latter the most effective killing is at the top.

The Orange County Fumigating Company is a growing enterprise, having been
duly incorporated for a very necessary work. Its officers are: president, L. W. Evans;
vice-president, J. A. Maag; secretary and manager, J. A. King; treasurer, E. W. Bol-
inger. Directors: L. W'. Evans, El Modena; J. A. Maag, Orange; L. A. Bortz, Olive;
J. F. Allen, Orange; A. G. Finley, Santa Ana; and Ed. H. Dierker, Orange.

Mr. Peterkin is a member of the Odd Fellows at Orange, and also of the Modern
Woodmen and the Elks at Santa Ana. He was married at Santa Barbara to Miss
Rebecca Jordan, a native of Missouri; and their fortunate union has been rendered the
happier by the birth of one child, Thelma.

WILLIAM F. DIERS. — Santa Ana owes much of her commercial prosperity to
such far-sighted, optimistic men of grit and experience as William F. Diers, for the
past six years mana.ger of the Wm. F. Lutz Company, Inc. He is a native son, and
was born in Kern County, on November 11, 1884, and his father was Henry Diers,
a farmer still living, who was born in Germany, and now resides in Santa Ana. He
married Miss Mattie Baker, by whom he had four children, and she passed away some
thirty years ago.

William was the third child in the interesting family, and. enjoyed the educational
advantages of both the grammar and the high schools. He came with his folks to
Santa Ana in 1890, and grew up not only to prepare himself for an earnest tussle with
the world, but to enjoy sport as well, particularly horseback riding. He belongs to
the Orange County Comitry Club.

In 1900 he entered the service of the Wm. F. Lutz Company, Inc., and step by
step rose to his present position of responsibility and trust. In 1913 he was made
manager of the firm, and much of its recent success must be credited to his experience
and fidelity. A stanch member of the Santa Ana Chamber of Commerce, Mr. Diers is
also an active worker in the Merchants and Manufacturers Association. Mr. Diers is
a Republican in national political affairs and has served for three years in the National
Guard of California. He belongs to Santa Ana Lodge No. 794, B. P. O. Elks, and
was honored there as exalted ruler in 1919. In the World War period, he was most
active on all the drives for war work purposes, and in many respects has set an inspir-
ing example of plain, loyal and worth-while citizenship. On February 28, 1920, he
married Mrs. F. E. Gustlin of Santa Ana.

ROBERT G. TUTHILL.— Could a history of the recent development, along sani-
tary and strictly edifying lines, of undertaking in California be written, and proper
credit given those individuals who have not only "done things," but have pointed the
way to others wishing also to do and willing to follow, then one of the leading firms
of Santa Ana — Messrs. Smith and Tuthill — would necessarily be mentioned in the front
rank, and another star be added to the long list for which 'the town has striven and
fought these many years. Both Robert G. Tuthill and his partner, George S. Smith,
have endeavored, ever since creating their present establishment, to advance the status
of undertaking whenever and wherever possible; and how far they have succeeded in
their ideals those most familiar with their actual accomplishments can tell.

Born in Oskaloosa, Iowa, in May, 1878, Robert was the son of George Tuthill, a
business man born in New York, who had married Miss Mary Skillen. The parents
moved from Iowa to Kansas when the child was three months old. and then they went




(^X/t^>^^ _ c/ ^A'e^^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1577

on to Portland, Ore., where they are both living. Thej^ had three children, and Robert
was the second in the order of birth.

He attended the grammar and high schools of Kansas, and also a business college,
and as a young man followed the undertaking business, first, in 1899, at San Francisco
and after two years again in Kansas. Three years later, he was back in Los Angeles;
and there he continued in undertaking for seven years.

On March 1, 1914, Mr. Tuthill came to Santa Ana, and soon afterward formed a
partnership with Mr. Smith, who had been here twenty years. In every respect the
equipment, including the needed automobiles, is modern and strictly up-to-date; and
the progressive, refined and refining spirit animating the two gentlemen and their
associates has won for them a large number of appreciative patrons. It is not sur-
prising that Mr. Tuthill is a wide-awake director of the Santa Ana Chamber of Com-
merce and enthusiastic in its progressive work.

On September 22, 1913, Mr. Tuthill and Miss Ella Dougherty were married at
Portland, Ore.; the bride being a native of Kansas and the daughter of Jas. and Mary
Dougherty. They have three children — Mary, Martha and Roberta. In national
politics Mr. Tuthill is a Republican, he is a Protestant in religious faith, and he belongs
to the Masons, the Knights Templar, the Odd Fellows and the Elks.

ARCHIE VERNON FEWELL.— The distinction of being a native Californian
belongs to Archie Vernon Fewell, of the firm of Wine and Fewell, cement pipe manu-
facturers and irrigation contractors, and he has spent practically all his life in Orange
County, his birthplace. Mr. Fewell was born at Santa Ana on June 4, 1892, the son
of Edward and Rosa Wilkinson Fewell, who were the parents of three children: Archie
Vernon, of this review; Blanche, now the wife of Merrill Stearnes, a cotton grower in
Arizona; and Mildred, the wife of Albert Shinn, also residents of Arizona. The father,
who is a resident of Tustin, was born in Iowa, while the mother was a native of that
state. She passed away in 1905, when Archie was but thirteen years old.

Mr. Fewell started in the cement business in Santa Ana at the early age of fifteen,
working for John M. Wine, now his partner. He remained there until 1914, when he
went to Lankershim where he conducted a general cement business. After one year
there he returned to Santa Ana and formed a partnership with his former employer,
John M. Wine, their place of business being located at 1029 East First Street. They
are the leading firm in this line in Santa Ana and have always on hand a full stock
of valves, gates and cement pipe of all sizes, so that they are able to handle any work
that comes to them. They have e.xecuted many large contracts for Orange County, as
well as for scores of the largest citrus growers and ranchers of Santa Ana and the
neighboring towns. They place an absolute guarantee on every foot of their work
and have built up a reputation for thorough, efficient work and square dealing that
places them in the forefront of reliable business firms of the county. In the laying
of cement pipes, Mr. Fewell has no equal, perhaps, within a wide radius. He does
all this work himself and from January 1 up to the first of June, 1920, he laid more
than 75,000 feet of pipe. Endowed with strength and physique far above the average,
Mr. Fewell has a propensity for hard work and it is often said of him that he does two
men's work every day.

Mr. Fewell's marriage which occurred at Santa Ana, June 15, 1911, united him
with Miss Ollie Pickering, a native daughter of California, born at Santa Paula, \'en-
tura County, but reared in Seattle, Wash. Her parents are George and Laura (Buflf-
ham) Pickering, the father of English birth and the mother a native of Illinois. Mrs.
Pickering is one of Santa Ana's successful business women, being engaged in the real
estate business there. Four children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Fewell: Their
first born were twins, George V. and Laura Belle, the former only living to be sixteen
months old; Dorothie Rose and Bernice. The family home is at 910 ^^'est Fourth
Street, Santa Ana. Mr. and Mrs. Fewell attend the United Presbyterian Church at
Santa Ana and enjoy a wide popularity in its social circles.

FREDERICK P. YANDEAU.— The ranch of twenty acres on Western Avenue,
owned by Frederick P. Yandeau, is one of the show places of the vicinity, with its
well-cared for, up-to-date appearance. The Valencia orange trees, now in their sixth
year of growth, had just been set out when Mr. Yandeau purchased the place. At that
time the irrigation facilities were limited, but the property is now piped and valved to
a complete degree, and its appearance testifies to the care bestowed upon it.

Mr. Yandeau was born in Essex Junction, \'t., on .\pril 11. 1872, the son of
John and Tillie Y'andeau, also natives of the Green Mountain State, whose children
numbered eight, six of whom are living, and two of whom migrated to California.
Frederick P. was reared and educated in his native state and had the benefit of a high
school education. He afterward followed the occupation of a telegrapher for a number



1578 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

of years, and in 1897, when twenty-five years of age, came to California. A year later,
in 1898, he entered the U. S. service as a member of the signal corps, and served in
this capacity until 1900. At the outbreak of the Boxer Rebellion in China, he again
entered active service, serving one year in China. He returned at the close ol that
time to the Philippine Islands, which he left for the scene of war. In 1904 he was
appointed district telegraph officer in the Philippine constabulary, ranking as first
lieutenant. After a period of two years he was appointed postotfice inspector, and
retained the office four years. Ill health caused him to retire from the service and
return to California, where he located in San Diego County to recuperate his failing
health in the balmy climate of the Southland.

His marriage in 1908 united him with Miss Lena M. HoUiday. His interest is
ever to build up and add to the commercial influence and prosperity of the community
in which his lot in life is cast, and among whose citizens he is highly esteemed as a
worthy member. He is active in the membership of the Anaheim Cooperative Orange
Growers Association.

P. H. NORTON. — A conservatively careful, yet progressive ranchman whose agri-
cultural methods are the true keys to his phenomenal success, is P. H. Norton, of 301
Edgewood Road, Santa Ana. He was born on November 20, 1877, in Freeborn County,
Minn., the son of G. E. and May H. (Phillips) Norton, and started life with the district
school training there. His father was a native of Vermont, and his mother was born
in Wisconsin, and as might be expected of such genuinely American folks, they afforded
every advantage possible for the education of the son, who eventually took an agri-
cultural course at the St. Anthony Park branch of the University of Minnesota, during
the time, until he was twenty-six years old, when he remained at home on his father's
farm, lending a hand in the work there.

On December 9, 1904, Mr. Norton was married to Miss Iva E. Wiseman, who
was born near Albert Lea in Freeborn County, Minn., the daughter of A. P. and Ellen
Wiseman, farmers and early settlers of Minnesota. The same years, Mr. Norton pur-
chased eighty acres and leased 160 acres in addition, farming 240 acres in Redwood
County. He followed agriculture there for seven years, making a specialty of breeding
. Percheron horses.

When he sold out. finally, he came to Santa Ana, and in 1911 purchased a tract
of about six and one-half acres on Edgewood Avenue, two acres of which were in
walnuts and three in Valencias. In 1918 he added Ij}' purchase six acres of walnuts,
and as all was under the service of the Santa Ana \'alley Irrigation Company, he
easily had one of the most desirable properties in the county. From 1916 to 1917, Mr.
Norton also owned a four-acre grove of young Valencias on East Palmyra Street.
He is a member of the Santa Ana Valley Walnut Growers Association and also of the
Santiago Orange Growers Association.

Four boys make up the family of Mr. and Mrs. Norton: Arold P. is a student
at the Santa Ana high school: and Francis W.. George Stanley and Miles A. Norton
are in the grammar school. Mr. Norton is a member of tjie First Baptist Church at
Santa Ana, and is also a Mason. Mrs, Norton, who long studied music under the best
masters available, gives much pleasure to her family and friends with her proficiency
on the piano.

ORAL V. DART. — A man who will long and pleasantly be remembered for his
substantial work in both building up and upbuilding Santa Ana and Orange County is
Oral \'. Dart, the carpenter and contract house mover, who was born in Rexford,
Thomas County, Kans., on November 9, 1887, the son of George ^^'. and Tracy J. Dart,
farmers and landowners, being among the first settlers of western Kansas. When
Oral was nine years old, they removed with him to Jewell County, where he was
educated in the Jewell district school.

In 1908 he came to California and worked on the \'alencia ranch near San Juan
Capistrano, for the following two years, when he returned to Kansas for a short time,
in the winter of 1911, owing to the death of his beloved mother. Then he came West
again, this time to Seattle, and there he was employed by Albers Bros, in their flour
mill. Once more he returned to Kansas and farmed.

In 1912 he came to California and for some time limited himself to ordinary
carpentering. Realizing the need, however, of an expert mover of houses, he entered
that field, and found no difficulty in demonstrating that he was the man for the
occasion and the community. Since then he has been busy enough contracting for
that kind of work, in some instances undertaking what others would not care, under
the difficult conditions, to attempt.

At Santa Ana, on June 14, 1917, Mr. Dart was married to Miss Helen Teel, a
daughter of F. H. and Mary Teel,. of that same city. There Mrs. Dart was born.



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1579

reared and educated. One boy, a promising lad named Alvin Lowell, born on July 9,
1918, has blessed this fortunate union. Mrs. Dart is a member of the Nazarene Church
of Santa Ana, and Mr. Dart belongs to the Free Methodist Church.

He has just traded his handsome home at 1322 West Fifth Street for a grove of
eleven acres lying between Santa Ana and Orange, and as nine acres are already in
walnuts, the cosy ranch bids fair to be of real value in the near future.

Orange County is fortunate in having such public-spirited men as Mr. Dart, who
for years stuck by the Prohibition party, and now that their goal has been reached,
believes in working for the highest citizenship regardless of party lines.

JEROME V. SCHULZ.— A sincere, peace-loving citizen, fond of his home and
.solicitous for the welfare of children, and interested in the political problems of the
day, is Jerome V. Schuiz, the successful Williams Canyon rancher. His parents were
John C. and Mary Ann Schuiz, and he was born in Waterloo County, Iowa, on May
21, 1873. After having become a prosperous farmer, John C. Schuiz came out to San
Francisco with his wife and the six-year-old lad, Jerome, and for three years engaged
in the hardware business. In 1882, Mr. Schuiz came south to Anaheim and bought five
acres. The land had been set out to grapes, but the new owner planted walnut trees.
The lad helped his father on the ranch, at the same time attending the district schools.

On October 18, 1905, in Santa Ana, Jerome Schuiz was married to Naomi A.
Alsbach, the daughter of Montgomery and Mary E. Alsbach. The lady had first seen
the light at Los Angeles, and when a year old had accompanied her parents to
Downey. On account of her mother's health, they removed to Silverado Canyon,
and there she still lives on their old home-site.

Directly after their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Schuiz moved to their present ranch
in Williams Canyon, which Mr. Schuiz had purchased in 1902, and where they and
their family have lived ever since. There are 160 acres in the ranch, eight of which
he has planted to budded walnuts, twenty-one are under cultivation in- small grain
and corn for domestic use, and two acres are given to prunes and apricots. Sycamore
and eucalyptus trees grow in abundance on the place. This land was originally
the Williams Ranch, and belonged to the man after whom the canyon was named.

When Williams purchased the ranch he bought it for a sixty-pound can of honey;
he had for the most part goats as stock, and mountain lions would come down and
steal them. Now the Schuiz children go over a mountain trail one and a half miles
long, on their way to school, and they used to frequently call to their father to come
and kill the rattlesnakes they found. Of late, they have killed many of the reptiles
themselves. This particular place on the ridge they have named Rattlesnake Peak.

Five children — four girls and a boy — have blessed the happy union of Mr. and
Mrs. Schuiz. Evelyn Dorothy is the oldest; then comes Vernon Everett, and after
that Alice May, Florence Louise and Frances Isabel, all of whom attend the Silverado
grammar school. Mr. and Mrs. Schultz are Democrats, but also were stand-patters for
Hoover. Mrs. Schuiz, who is serving her second term as trustee and clerk of the Sil-
verado School district, is a woman of much native ability and business acumen, who
is of much assistance to her husband, and both are taking an active part in helping
the movements that have for their aim the building up of the county and community.

WILLIAM B. ALEXANDER.— The history of the family of Mr. and Mrs. Wil-
liam B. Alexander is associated in a very interesting manner with the stirring events
in three great commonwealths — California, Tennessee and Colorado — Mrs. Alexander's
father having been among those who repeatedly braved and suffered much to help
found the Pacific State, and Mr. Alexander having held public office when such was
anything but a sinecure. He was born in Lebanon, Tenn., about thirty miles east of
Nashville, on August 6, 1858, the son of John C. and Sarah (Moser) Alexander, also
natives of that state, as their parents were before them; and he was educated at the
district school at Lebanon, Tenn.

When nineteen, in 1877, he left hom? to go to Colorado, and in Durango, La Plata
County, he settled for a while and was employed by the San Juan Smelter and Refining
Company. Supplies were at that time very scarce and dear; so much so that when he
went on tours of investigation in the Rockies, he had to pay as high as sixty-five dollars
a ton for his hay for the horses.

Durango was four miles from the Navajo Indian Reservation, where the Utahs,
the Navajos and the Pueblos lived; and the Indians would steal the whites' horses,
and the whites, in turn, would steal the redskins' cattle. Then uprisings occurred, and
the whites wcfuld be compelled to drive the Indians back into their own territory.
Notwithstanding the privations and the responsibility. Mr. .Alexander remained fore-
man of the smelter company for tw^elve full years.



1580 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

After that he went into the cattle business, and often bought and sold as many
as 1,000 head at a time. And he continued buying and selling cattle for about eight
years, when he sold out and came \N'est to San Diego, Cal., where he engaged in
wholesaling and retailing.

When he came to Orange County, he purchased ten acres west of Santa Ana,
which he devoted with success to beets and beans; and he also bought and sold property
in Santa Ana. He owned good lots on Baker and Parton streets; and being satisfied
with the future outlook of the town, in 1917 he bought a home on West Fifth Street,
and also established his vulcanizing works. The patronage accorded by the public from
the start of this enterprise speaks for itself.

In February, 1878, Mr. Alexander was married to Miss Ina L. Pennington, a
native of Wilson County, Kans., and the daughter of J. T. and Sarah Pennington, early
settlers in Wilson County, who came to Durango, Colo., in 1872. One son has blessed
the union — Thomas D., who works in Santa Ana. Mrs. Alexander was educated at the
Durango high school, and later taught in the vicinity of her home until she was
married. Her father made three trips in "prairie schooners" across the plains, coming
to California for the first time in 1849, during the famous gold rush. The family
attend the Methodist Church.

In Tennessee, before going to Colorado, Mr. Alexander was a deputy sheriff for
a couple of years; and in Durango he was on the town board for two years. In national
politics he is a Democrat. Fraternally, he is a member of the Odd Fellows, of the
Woodmen, and of the Elks; and there is no one who enjoys greater popularity, or
carries his honors more modestly.

S. E. TINGLEY. — Among the decidedly progressive men of Orange County, itself
one of the most progressive sections of the great California commonwealth, should
be mentioned S. E. Tingley, a prominent resident of Tustin, who in 1910 established
the Tustin Lumber Company, now playing such an important part in the development
of the district. They do a general lumber and mill business, and handle all kinds of
builders' material, cement, roofing and wall board; and by anticipating the wants,
rather than merely catering to the needs of the community, render the town and
environs a great service. A large force of men are employed on the two acres of the
company, and it is not surprising that their business last year amounted to forty
thousand dollars.

Mr. Tingley is a native of Trenton, Mo., and was born in the notable year of
1876, when the nation was celebrating its first century of existence and prosperity.
His father was Joseph F. Tingley, a native of Ohio, who married Miss Eliza Roberts,
a native of Virginia. Of their five living children, S. E. is next to the youngest and
was two years of age when the family removed to Wamego, Pottawatomie County,
. Kans., remaining there until 1887, when they came to the Pacific Coast, locating at
National City, San Diego County, Cal., and here he completed the public schools.

In 1896 Mr. Tingley was married at National City to Miss Sarah J. Cox, daughter
of William and Isabel Cox, natives of England, and they have one daughter, Margaret
O. Tingley. In 1902 he moved to Santa Ana, and here, in Orange County, he has
been actively engaged in the lumber business ever since. Previous to his establishing
the Tustin Lumber Company, Mr. Tingley was in the employ of the Pendleton Lum-
ber Company at Santa Ana.

As a wide-awake citizen who has not only provided a place for himself, but has
contributed toward the advancement of both the county and the state, Mr. Tingley is
a member of the Chamber of Commerce of Tustin, and never fails to support a move-
ment for the progress of the town. He is also both a member and a trustee of the
Presbyterian Church. In Masonic circles he is especially popular, but he counts his
friends in all circles of society, and in various communities.

WERNER R. DROSS.— To the young men. both of the past and present genera-
tion, California had proved a land of opportunity, and success is within the reach of
all who possess energy, business ability and a determination to succeed. Such has
been the experience of Werner R. Dross, the efficient warehouseman of the San
Joaquin Warehouse Company, a position he has held for the past ten years. This is
the largest lima bean warehouse on the Pacific Coast, and consists of two large
buildings, one 450 by 40 feet and the other 500 by 40 feet. Seventeen cars of beans can
be loaded at one time. There are two bean cleaners in each warehouse and only the
most up-to-date methods and the best machinery are used, none but white labor being
employed to hand pick and clean the beans. The product is put up in 100-pound sacks,
ready for the consumer.

A native of Germany, \\'erner R. Dross was born at Elbing on February 6, 1879.



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 177 of 191)