Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 183 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 183 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


recently erected a cozy and comfortable new home at Anaheim. In his fraternal affilia-
tions he is a member of the Sons of Herman, and has passed all the chairs. A worthy
citizen and a capable business man, Mr. Lautenbach is self-made in the broadest mean-
ing of the term, and has demonstrated what an ambitious and energetic young man
can accomplish in a country where opportunities are ripe for those who have the dispo-
sition to take hold of tlie situation and make the most of it.

HENRY WALTERS.— The junior member of the enterprising and progressive
firm of Livenspire & Walters, brick contractors of Santa Ana, Henry Walters was
born in Louisville, Ky., July 19, 1877. He was reared and educated in the metropolis
of the Blue Grass State, and there he also learned the trade of a brickmason. As a
virile and vigorous young man he was intensely interested in the great American
game and became a professional ball player, filling the position of an outfielder. He
played with the Rock Island, 111., Jacksonville, Fla., Decatur, III., St. Joseph, Mo., and
Newark, N. J., teams.

As a brickmason, Mr. Walters became a great factor in the construction of large
buildings throughout the country, working on and superintending some of the finest
blocks in the country, from among which especial mention is made of the largest
church and bank building in Maysville. Ky. ; the J. M. Atherton and the Stark Block,
both fifteen-story buildings, in Louisville, Ky. In Cairo, 111., he was foreman of the
construction of the passenger depot for the Louisville & Nashville Railway Com-
pany; also for the freight depot and sheds 500 feet long, for the same company. In
Terre Haute, Ind., Mr. Walters was foreman of construction on the five-story building
for the Young Women's Christian Association.

On April 1, 1911, Henry Walters arrived in California. In time he again took
up his trade of a brickmason. and was employed by the well-known contractor. Arthur
Sanborn, as foreman in the construction of the Congregational Church in Pomona, also
a large schoolhouse at Redondo. In 1913 Mr. Walters formed a partnership with Mr.
Livenspire, and they have erected the following buildings in Santa Ana: the Post
Office, Spurgeon Block. West End Theater. Phillips Block and the Santa Ana Ware-
house, the John Hetebrink residence at Fullerton, and the residence of John Tuffree
at Placentia, Rutherford Building, a big warehouse at the Delhi Sugar Refinery, and
all the brick garages in Santa Ana. At the San Bernardino Orange Show Mr. Walters
built two displays for the Pacific Sewer Pipe Company, for which he was awarded two
prizes. On the pier at Venice he erected a large display for the Los Angeles Brick
Company, for which the first prize was awarded. Mr. Walters also erected the display
room for the Corona Chamber of Commerce and built a brick block at Newport.

At Louisville. Ky., September 30, 1907, Mr. Walters was united in marriage with
Miss Ada C. Carnahan, a native of Hodginsville, Nelson County, Ky., born on a farm
adjoining the historic Abraham Lincoln farm. However, her schooling was obtained
at Elizabethtown in the same county. Fraternally, Mr. Walters is a member of
Pomona Lodge No. 246, I. O. O. F., and with his wife is a member of Torosa Rebekah
Lodge at Santa Ana, of which Mrs. Walters is a past noble grand. She is also a mem-
ber of Hermosa Chapter O. E. S., and the Woman's Relief Corps, as well as ex-presi-
dent of the Daughters of Veterans. Mr. Walters is emphatically with the western
spirit of progress, and especially enthusiastic over the great opportunities Orange
County ofifers to intelligent and industrious men.

RAYMOND L. GODWIN. — Numbered among the successful and enterprising
contractors of Santa Ana is Raymond L. Godwin, the well and favorably known plas-
tering contractor. He is a native of the Hawkeye State, born at Stuart, Guthrie
County, Iowa, November 3, 1882. ^^'hen fourteen years of age he moved with his
parents to Alamogordo. Otero County, N. M., where for si.x years he rode the range
for different cattle men.

In 1901 Mr. Godwin came to California and in 1903 he learned the trade of a
plasterer, working for W. O. Rowley of Orange, remaining with him for six years.
While living at Orange, Mr. Godwin helped in the construction of the Union high
school, and it was he who struck the first pick in the ground for the excavation. He
did the plastering on many buildings at Orange, including the German school and
Center Street school buildings; also many fine residences. In 1910 he located at
Corona, where he became foreman for Mr. Rowley, who had the contract for the
Corona high school. Afterwards Mr. Godwin entered business for himself at Corona,
doing cement, brick and plastering contract work, and while there built the Lord
Block, also the Glass building and a number of fine residences.



1624 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

Coming to Santa Aria in 1914, Mr. Godwin entered the employ of George W.
Young, a plastering contractor. His extensive experience in building and ability to
manage men soon won for him the position of foreman, and it was under his careful
supervision that the plastering contracts on the following buildings in Santa Ana were
satisfactorily finished: Meyer Apartment Hotel, W. H. Spurgeon Block, United Presby-
terian Church, F. E. Farnsworth residence and the Mills and Winbigler Funeral Home;
he also worked on the new buildings of the Orange union high school.

On the most memorable day of modern history. Armistice Day, November 11,

1918, Mr. Godwin decided to enter the contract plastering business again. The wisdom
of his decision has been clearly proved by the splendid success he has achieved in his
business enterprise. Among the buildings and residences he has plastered mention is
made of the following: The Sheriff Office building. Wickersheim Garage, eight resi-
dences for Justin Bencher, thirteen residences for R..C. McMillan, and in Orange he
has plastered eleven residences for Dale and Riggle.

His splendid workmanship and the high character of his business integrity have
won for him a leading place among the contractors of Orange County and to facilitate
the completion of his contracts he constantly employs from two to five men. Mr.
Godwin is a "booster" for Orange County and believes in aiding all worthy movements
that have as their aim the upbuilding of the county's best interests.

At Villa Park, October 4, 190S, Mr. Godwin was united in marriage with Margaret
Hinton of Villa Park, and they are the parents of a son, William. Fraternally Mr.
Godwin is a member of Orange Lodge. No. 225, I. O. O. F., as well as Santa Ana
Lodge, No. 794, B. P. O. Elks.

GEORGE W. WARDWELL.— An efficient, faithful and very popular member
of the public service is George W. Wardwell, the superintendent of rodent control and
the horticultural inspector of Orange County, who was born at Fond du Lac, Wis.,
on June 17, 1874. He attended the excellent public schools of that locality, and early
took up the study of natural history and taxidermy. He had talent for this line of
work, and soon became such an expert taxidermist that he was frequently called upon
to mount animals and birds for private collections.

Having come to California in 1896 at the age of twenty-two, Mr. Wardwell be-
came both an interior and exterior decorator, and followed this trade in Los Angeles,
San Francisco and other coast cities; and in 1904 he located at Long Beach, and con-
tinued his work there. In 1902 he moved his residence to Wintersburg, although he
still followed his trade in Long Beach.

In 1904, however, when Huntington Beach was started, he decided to pitch his
tent there and grow up with the town. He thus became the first decorator to under-
take painting contracts, and for years worked on all the residences and business
structures of Huntington Beach. After a while he bought the Huntington Beach
Nursery, which he conducted until he sold out to its present owner.

In 1913, Mr. Wardwell was appointed by the board of county supervisors to his
present office, in which he is doing a splendid work, clearing the county of ground
squirrels and gophers. During the past three years, however, he has rid the county
of eighty per cent of the ground squirrels. To accomplish this, poisoned grain was
given to the farmer, who scattered it freely on the ground. In the winter and spring
of the year carbon-bisulphide is used. This is poured on the waste balls, which are
placed in the holes of the rodents, next set fire to, so that a poisonous gas is generated,
which spreads throughout the little tunnels and caves and does its deadly work.

Mr. Wardwell married Miss Ada Hoflf, a native of Kansas; and their home life
is blessed with five children. They are Hazel, Helen, George W., Jr., Elizabeth and
William.

DR. GEORGE MARKHAM TRALLE.— Distinguished among the members of
the Orange County Medical Society, of which he had the honor to be president in

1919, and eminent among those who have contributed to make Santa Ana one of the
most desirable and safest places for comfortable living in the state, George Markham
Tralle enjoys an enviable reputation as a specialist in the treatment of diseases of the
eye, ear, nose and throat. He was born in Benton County, Mo., July 18, 1871, the
son of Henry Tralle, a contractor and builder, now deceased, who married Miss
Elizabeth Cooke, a native of Missouri. The father served in the Civil War as a
member of an Illinois regiment, and for years he received the honor due him as one
who helped to preserve the country. Mrs. Tralle is still living, residing in Kansas City,
Mo., and is the mother of eight children, four sons and four daughters.

The third child in order of birth. George M., was educated at the public schools
and at William Jewell College at Liberty,' Mo., after which he matriculated at the
University Medical College at Kansas City, from which he was graduated on March 28,



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 162b

1899. Going to Purcell. McClain County, Okla., he put in fifteen years in general
practice and then took post-graduate work in New York City, and canxe to California
and did post-graduate work in San Francisco, after which he came direct to Santa
Ana. In January, 1916, he began his practice here, and has limited his work to diseases
of the eye, ear, nose and throat, and has met with very gratifying success and a
constantly increasing practice. Besides the Orange County Medical Society, he belongs
to the American Medical Association and the California State Medical Society, also the
Southern California Medical Society.

On April 18, 1899, at Kansas City, Mo., Dr. Tralle w^as married to Miss Florence
Hunt, born in Missouri, a daughter of J. M. and Nellie Hunt. She shares with him
the esteem of those who know them and his deep interest in Orange County afifairs.
The doctor is a member of the Blvie Lodge, Chapter, Commandery and Shrine in
Masonry, having passed through the offices of the first three named in Purcell, Okla.
During the World War he was on the e.xamining board for soldiers and a member of
the \'olunteer Medical Service Corps, and in various ways he and Mrs. Tralle actively
participated in war work. In national politics he is a Republican.

CHARLES LEO DAVIS. — One of the pioneers in the garage business in Orange
County who has very naturally brought his establishment to the fore so that now it is
one of the best equipped for its size and pretensions in the entire state, is Charles Leo
Davis, proprietor of the Chandler Garage, representative Republican and popular Elk.
He was born at Arlington, Vt., on August 20, 1882, the son of a farmer, R. V. Davis,
who was highly esteemed in his day, but is now deceased. He had married Miss
Martha Curry, whose home was at Slingerlands, N. Y., and who was the daughter of
John Curry, a florist. Mrs. Davis is now living at Santa Ana, the mother of this only
child.

The grammar and high schools of his neighborhood furnished the lad. with his
first educational advantages, and later he studied at the Polytechnic school at Wor-
cester, Mass., and there he took a course in machine steam engineering, and was grad-
uated in 1904. For seven years thereafter he was with the Spencer Wire Company, of
Worcester, makers of gas engines, and there he had the finest opportunity to perfect
himself in machine work. In 1910 Mr. Davis came to Santa Ana and entered the service
of the Guarantee Garage. Removing to Orange, he took charge of the Buick auto shop,
and after that he came to Santa Ana and engaged to work for the Lutz Company. In
1913 he bought into the garage business at 209 North Main Street with George Kellogg;
and two years later, he bought out his interest.

The Chandler Garage not only represents that famous company's cars in the
district of Orange County, but it carries a full line of automobile accessories and under-
takes to render prompt and the best of service. For the demands of his trade, as only
thus far developed, Mr. Davis employs eighteen men. On January 1, 1920, he moved
his garage to its present location, at Broadway and Sixth Street, where he occupies the
corner, 100x125 feet.

Like most men given to one or more kinds of sport, Mr. Davis is fond of both
fishing and hunting, and good-naturedly responds to the many appeals in the community
for more serious cooperation, thereby proving his qualities as a citizen and a neighbor.
Fraternally besides being a member of Santa .\na Lodge No. 794, B. P. O. Elks, he is.
a member of Santa Ana Lodge No. 241, F. & A. M., and a charter member of the
Rotary Club and of the Orange County .\uto Trades Association.

DENNIS J. DONNELLY.— Prominent among the more recent settlers of Ana-
heim who have become successful orange growers, is Dennis J. Donnelly, a native of
Ireland, born at Tullamore, Kings County, in 1875. His youthful days were spent on
a farm in Ireland, and when twenty years of age he emigrated to the United States
For many years he followed copper mining in the West, two years being located at
Butte, Mont.

In 1898 Mr. Donnelly enlisted in the U. S. Navy, serving during the Spanish-
American War, three years faithfully filling the position of fireman, and during his
enlistment served in the Philippine station. He was aboard the ill-fated U. S. Warship
Charleston when she was lost ofif Luzon November 2, 1899, and subsequently was
transferred to the U. S. Warship Oregon, being aboard her when she was wrecked in
the Straits of Pechili on the way to the relief of siege of Pekin. He received his
honorable discharge from the U. S. Navy in 1901 at Mare Island, Cal.

Mr. Donnelly is justly proud of his bronze medal, inscribed with the name "V. S.
S. Charleston." awarded to him by the "Citizens of the State of California," and he
is a member of the Spanish-.\merican War \'eterans.

Resuming his former occupation of mining. Mr. Donnelly located at Bisbee. .\riz.,
where he engaged in copper mining for five years, after which he went to the copper



1626 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

mines in Sonora, Mexico. The year 1906 found him the proprietor of a hotel at
vSeattle, Wash. The fall of the same year he moved to San Francisco, where he helped
in the rebuilding of that stricken city after its destruction by fire and earthquake. In
1907 he again returned to copper mining, this time locating at Globe, Ariz.

During the year 1910 Mr. Donnelly visited Anaheim, Cal., and was so favorably
impressed with the country that he decided to make Orange County his permanent
home. He purchased ten acres of raw land three miles southwest of Anaheim, which
he improved by leveling and planting to Valencia oranges. He still retained his resi-
dence in Globe, Ariz., but brought his family to Anaheim for permanent settlement
in 1912, erecting a bungalow at 115 North Helena Street.

Possessing keen business foresight, a progressive spirit and a determined will to
win success in the citrus industry, Mr. Donnelly took up the study of orange culture,
soil conditions and fumigation, and his special efforts have been rewarded by an
abundant crop, the yield for 1919 being 2040 boxes of fruit, which were handled by the
Anaheim Orange & Lemon Association, of which he is a member.

At Bisbee in 1904 Mr. Donnelly was united in marriage with Julia O'Conner, a
native of the Emerald Isle-, born near Killarney, in County Kerry. Of this happy
union two daughters were born: Mary Elizabeth and Rose Annie. Mr. and Mrs.
Donnelly are patriotic American citizens and loyal supporters of their adopted coun-
try's cause in every time of need, their motto being "America First." Religiously, they
are members of the Catholic Church.

WILLIAM N. MILLER. — A well-posted oil man, whose keen observation, atten-
tion to details, unremitting industry and a regard for the experience of others as well
as his own previous successes or failures have enabled him to thoroughly understand
the oil business, is William N. Miller, who was born near x\va, Douglas County, Mo.,
on July 6, 1889. His father, J. T. Miller, also a native of Missouri, is a farmer there;
he married Miss Katie Shadden, a native of Tennessee, and they had six children, of
whom William was the oldest.

He was brought up in Missouri, attended the usual grammar school courses, and
when a youth of seventeen came out to the Far West and settled for a while at Condon,
Ore. He went onto a ranch, and during the winter rode the range and continued in
that line of activity until 1911, when he returned to Missouri to marry Miss Minnie
Pugh, a daughter of Missouri, and a sister of S. L. Pugh. On coming West again the
young couple settled at Taft and there made his entry into the oil industry. He entered
the service of the Union Oil Company, and later was a tool dresser for the Miocene
Oil Company, then was with the Head Drilling Company at Taft for three years.

In 1919 Mr. Miller came to Placentia, as a driller for the Heffern Oil Company;
and when well No. 1 was completed, he set up No. 2. He then worked on the Olive
Petroleum well at Olive and put it down 1,000 feet; and when he resigned, he did so
to accept the superintendency of the Placentia Oil Company, where he remained until
March 1, 1920. In November he became interested in the Orange County Drilling
Company. He is a stockholder in the Heflfern Oil Company, and in the Fullerton
Leasing Company, and is doing all that he can to develop the important oil interests
of Orange County.

Mr. and Mrs. Miller have had four children, three living: Lois. Glen and Ina.
Carl, the oldest, died aged seventeen months. Mr. Miller belongs to Douglas Lodge,
No. 319, I. O. O. F., at Ava, Mo.; and he also belongs to Anaheim Lodge, No. 1345,
B. P. O. Elks, and is a member of Anaheim Lodge of Masons.

SUMNER E. REED.— The excellent service of the Santa Fe Railroad at Fullerton
has always been appreciated by the townspeople, .and never more so than since the
advent here of the present agent, Sumner E. Reed, a native of Wisconsin, where he was
born in Green County on December 21, 1865. His father was Samuel R. Reed, a farmer,
a native of New York state, and his mother, who came from Michigan, was before her
marriage Miss Lucretia H. Post. They, with their two sons, moved to Nebraska in
1877. Now both of the parents have joined the great throng making up the silent
majority of humanity.

The elder of the two children, Sumner attended the rural and then the high school,
after which he remained on the farm, as have so many faithful American young men,
until he was twenty-one years of age. His first venture in the service of strangers was
made when he accepted a post with the Burlington Railroad; later he went to the
Fremont, Elkhorn & Missouri Valley Railroad, and next back to the Burlington. That
was followed by an engagement with the Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha, and
he remained with that company until 1909, when he came to the Santa Fe.

At first he was an operator at Colton, and from there he went to various places
along the line. For six years he was at Inglewood. In each place where he was



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1629

stationed Mr. Reed acquired measurably some valuable experience, had a good" time,
mastered railroading, and made many friends. In March, 1917, he was transferred to
Fullerton, and here has has been, as tully-empowered agent, ever since. Active every
day in endeavoring to promote Fullerton's commerce with the outside world, it is
natural that Mr. Reed should be an energetic worker in the Fullerton Board of Trade.
During April, 1916, while Mr. Reed was at Inglewood, he was married to Mrs.
Myrtle M. (Thayer) Martin, who was born in Michigan. Mr. Reed still enjoys a
lodge evening occasionally, and belongs to the Modern Woodmen of America. In
national politics he is a Republican, but he knows no partisanship when it comes to
boosting for Fullerton, Orange County or even California. Among his recreations are
automobiling and outdoor exercise.

SALVADOR M. PADIAS.— A hard-working farmer, operating scientifically, and
therefore getting all the good results possible from his various expenditures, is Salvador
M. Padias who, through his own honest, untiring efforts, has acquired for himself and
his family a comfortable affluence. He is, in fact, one of the leading beet growers
on the Irvine Ranch, where he operates 268 acres, 156 of which are devoted to sugar
beets and the balance to barley hay.

A native son, he was born at San Juan Capistrano, Cal., on January 29, 1892,
the son of Ramon Padias, now deceased, the representative of one of the proud old
Spanish families. He was an experienced farmer, and left a competence to his
widow, who was Mercedes Mendes before her marriage. She now owns twenty
acres of highly improved land, devoted principally to Valencia oranges, and is located
on South McClay Street, in Santa Ana, where she now resides, aged sixty-two years.

S. M. Padias, the youngest son and the seventh child, attended the grammar
school at Tustin, after which he worked on his father's farm until the latter died in
1912. Then he began to farm for himself, and he also went out and worked for
others with large eight-horse teams. In the beginning, he worked for two different
companies, but both failed financially, and he received only forty-five dollars in cash
and judgments for $2,200 for his work, from which he has since realized nothing.

This most unfortunate experience, however, did not deter him from starting
anew, if in debt, and commencing all over again under such disadvantageous circum-
stances that he had to borrow money from others. In the fall of 1915 he leased
the above mentioned ranch, which he has improved %nd brought to a high state of
cultivation, and it is all under irrigation; his beet crop has averaged as much per
acre as any other on the Irvine ranch, and the position he occupies today shows that
he could not long have been idle. He came to have time enough, though, to partake
in various activities appealing to the patriotic citizen, and to work with the Repub-
licans for better civic standards.

In San Diego, July 23, 1914, Mr. Padias was married to Miss Dorothy Talbott,
the daughter of Chas. I. and Leona (Gibson) Talbott, early settlers of Los Angeles
County, the father being the proprietor of the Central Auto Park in Santa Ana. Mrs.
Padias is a' native daughter, born at Glendora, but reared and educated in the Garden
Grove grammar and high school. Mrs. Padias' maternal grandfather, George Gibson,
served in a Nebraska regiment in the Civil W-ar, and she is naturally an enthusiastic
member of the Daughters of Veterans. This fortunate union has been blessed with
one child, now a bright four-year-old boy, Robert Edward. Fraternally, Mr. Padias
is a Knight of Pythias, and a popular member he is in that constantly growing order.

JACOB P. PROBST.— Prominent in business circles in Anaheim, and well known
in other parts of the state, Jacob P. Probst was born in Odensa, Denmark, September
7, 1883. He is a son of Hans P. and Rossamina (Petersen) Probst, both natives of
Denmark, and in the fall of 1883 Hans P. Probst brought his family to the United
States, locating in Warrensburg, Mo., where he built up one of the largest carriage
manufacturing plants in the state. His four sons were all associated with him in
business, under the firm name of Probst and Sons, and for twenty-seven years they
carried on the establishment in their own two-story factory, one-half block in area.
They were extensive advertisers and the name became famous all over the state for
fair dealing and high quality of goods. They carried all kinds of horse-drawn vehicles,



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 183 of 191)