Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 184 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 184 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


also manufactured to order, did repair work and painting.

The children now living of Mr. and Mrs. Hans P. Probst are: George, Merentius,
Jacob P., Blenda, wife of Victor A. Peterson of South Pasadena, and Thorwald A.,
the well-known landscape artist of the Pacific Coast, who is at present writing and
traveling in California in the interest of reclaiming the old California Missions. The
father located in South Pasadena in 1910. where he conducted with his sons a large
auto painting, decorating and repair establishment. The family home in Warrensburg.
Mo., was a work of art. all the furniture and woodwork being designed and built by



1630 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

themselves, and the walls and ceilings decorated in the same manner. The home con-
tained many valuable works of art designed and collected by the family, many of which
were brought with them to their South Pasadena home.

Jacob P. Probst first came to California as a tourist in 1904, when he traveled all
over the state, and in 1907 he returned to take up his permanent residence here, first
locating in Alhambra, where, in partnership with his brother, he followed painting and
decorating, and erected a home in that city. He later removed to South Pasadena,
where he erected a home, and when his father arrived, in 1910, engaged in business
with him in auto painting.

On June 4, 1917, Mr. Probst located in Anaheim, where he now follows auto
painting and decorating, occupying modern and commodious quarters at 113-115 West
Adele Street. He does the finest class of work, including monograms and crests, and
his years of experience in the painting line make him a valuable man for his line of
work. He takes an active part in the affairs of Anaheim, was a member of the adver-
tising committee of the old Anaheim Board of Trade, and ready at all times to give
of his knowledge and effort toward the further advancement of his home city and
county. Fraternally he is a member of Anaheim Lodge, No. 207, F. & A. M.

The marriage of Mr. Probst united him with Delia A. Peterson, a native of Iowa,
the ceremony occurring at Santa Barbara, in 1908, and three children have been born
to them: Blenda, Lucille, and Jacob A., deceased. Mrs. Probst is one of a family of
twelve children, all but two of whom are now living. With her husband she joins in
the social life of the community and works toward its upbuilding.

JOHN JOHNSTON.— The efficient chief engineer of the Anaheim Brewery, John
Johnston has been a resident of the United States for nearly twenty-five years. He is
a native of Scotland, having been born at Glasgow on Christmas Day, 1869, and is a
son of John and Catherine Johnston, both natives of the land of the heather. The
Johnston family consisted of nine children, five of whom are living, two being residents
of California. John Johnston, Sr., died in Canada, Mrs. Johnston still making her
home there.

John Johnston was reared and educated in the Dominion of Canada. In 1896 he
came to the United States, and after stopping for some time in New York, he migrated
to California in 1905, locating in Los Angeles, where he remained for three years. In
1911 Mr. Johnston moved to Anaheim and accepted his responsible position with the
Anaheim Brewery, having under his supervision five engines, and has continued with
the company nine years. He is an expert machinist, with thirty years of experience,
and is regarded as one of the most efficient engineers in this section of the state.

In 1901 Mr. Johnston was united in marriage with Miss Ellen Trelfer of Canada
and four children were born to them; Francis, Lillian, James and John. During the
World War James served in a California regiment of infantry stationed at Camp Kear-
ney. Mr. Johnston and his children are all musical and their playing is greatly enjoyed
and appreciated by their many friends in the community, where they have gained high
repute as musicians.

The second marriage of Mr. Johnston united him with Miss Margaret Fitzpatrick
of Belfast, Ireland. Fraternally, Mr. Johnston is a member of the Anaheim Lodge No.
1346, Elks, and Anaheim Aerie of Eagles.

JOHN S. RUNYAN.— A highly esteemed resident of Santa Ana who attained the
enviable distinction of being one of the most public-spirited citizens of the town in
which he had previously lived — Medicine Lodge, Kans. — is John S. Runyan, who was
born in Turbotville. Northumberland County, Pa., on October 11. 1853. His father
was George Barton Runyan, a farmer anJ an early settler in the Keystone State, who
had married Miss Elizabeth Schuyler, also a member of an early family there. The
lad was sent to the high school at Turbotville, and then to the State Normal school at
Bloomsburg; and afterwards for five years he taught school in Montour County, Pa.
In 1878 he moved to Lawrence, Douglas County, Kans., and there for a couple of years
taught school.

In 1880 he made a new departure in going to Barber County, Kans., and engaging
in the cattle business. Four years later he was in the general merchandise trade in
Medicine Lodge in that state; and there he remained until August 1889. On the twelfth
of that month he entered the First National Bank of Medicine Lodge and for five years
was the bank's assistant cashier; and in 1894 he became the cashier. After that he rose
to be vice-president of the bank; and he was also associated with other banks in Kansas.

On November 26. 1885, Mr. Runyan was married in Warrensburg, Johnson County,
Mo., to Miss Nannie R. Holmes, a native of that town and of a fine old Virginian
family that migrated to Missouri. Her father was Benjamin A. Holmes, and her
mother, in her maidenhood, was Miss Sallie A. Douglas. Miss Holmes took a complete



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1631

course at the Warrensburg State Normal, where she was graduated, receiving a life
certificate as a teacher; and afterwards she taught in Johnson County, and later in the
high school at Liberty, Mo., until her marriage.

In 1911, Mr. Runyan came to California for his health, and settled at Santa Ana;
and the next year he built his home at 416 South Birch Street. In 1919 he purchased
an interest in an orange grove near Placentia, and in July of the same year he bought
an interest in a lemon grove at Yorba Linda. He also purchased stock in the First
National Bank of Santa Ana.

While in Medicine Lodge Mr. Runyan was city treasurer for twelve years, and
he also served on the city council of Medicine Lodge a number of terms, never allowing
his preference for Republican political doctrine to interfere with his administration of
local office. He tried to begin life aright in his profession of religion, and in Santa
Ana found it natural and easy to help the congregation of the First Baptist Church
in 1913 begin the erection of their handsome edifice. He is chairman of the board of
trustees, was on the building committee, and is also a member of the committee of
finance of said church.

For sixteen years in Medicine Lodge Mr. Runyan was l>oth a member of and
treasurer of the board of education. Having no children of their own, they set out to
rear and educate a niece, Miss Una Holmes, who was a native of Missouri and lived
with Mr. and Mrs. Runyan in Kansas, and on August 7, 1907, was married to C. C.
Lewis, the private secretary of the late Senator Chester I. Long of Kansas, with whom,
during the season of 1907, they enjoyed the inspiriting life of the capital, Washington.
In the spring of 1909 Mr. and Mrs. Lewis went to Phoenix, Ariz., and later they came
to Monrovia, where Mrs. Lewis died, on February 13, 1916. Then Mr. Lewis returned
to Phoenix, Ariz., and is now with the State Water Commission. Two children were
born to Mr. and Mrs. Lewis. The elder is a girl, Helen by name, and the younger is
called John Runyan.

ROBERT WILSON. — A full and worthy life has been the portion of Robert
Wilson; from stirring events in his boyhood and early life he passed to the more
peaceful pursuits of the business world, and his sterling traits of character have made
for success in both. A native of Canada, Mr. Wilson was born near Guelph, Ontario.
August IS, 1852, the son of James and Elizabeth (Ramsey) Wilson, born in Scotland
and on the Isle of Man, respectively, but married at Eden Mills, Ontario. The father
was an engineer in sawmilling, and later in the manufacture of oatmeal. He made
the oat mill on exhibit at the International Exposition at London in 1862 that wa.';
awarded a medal. His death occurred in Ontario.

Robert Wilson was the second eldest in a family of four boys and one girl, and
he is the only one now living. He was reared at Eden Mills, Ontario, where he ob-
tained his education in the country schools. In 1866, when a boy of fourteen, he
enlisted as a bugler in a Canadian company of volunteers, and was in the famous
Fenian Raid and in the battle of Ridgeway, June 6, 1866. For fourteen years he served
under Queen Victoria in the Canadian Militia, was bugler of No. Two Company, Firs*
Ontario Riflemen, went with them to Ft. Garry, now Winnipeg, in 1871, and was in
the Reil Rebellion of that year. Afterwards he was in Infantry Company No. One.
Twenty-eighth Battalion, and later on was in an engineering corps in the second Reil
Rebellion in 1884-85, and was at the Battle of Batoche. As early as 1866, between his
different enlistments, Mr. Wilson learned the trade of baker and candy maker, and in
1873 located in Buffalo, N. Y., entering the employ of Sibley & Holmwood, wholesale
candy manufacturers. Eighteen months later he returned to Stratford, Ontario, and
again served in the militia; later he settled in St. Paul. Minn., where for twenty-one
years he carried on a bakery of his own with success. While there he was local corre-
spondent for Eastern magazines devoted to the bakery trade.

The year 1906 marks the arrival of Mr. Wilson in Anaheim. He purchased the
Powell Bakery, on West Center Street, which he carried on with success until June
28. 1915, selling out to B. Jensen, and since that date he has lived retired, with the
record of having been in the bakery business for more than forty-eight years, which
speaks for itself as to the steadfast qualities of the man.

Mr. Wilson was twice married, his first wife being Mary Jane Mcintosh, a native
of Ontario. -Her father was for many years in the employ of the Grand Trunk Rail-
way, coming to Montreal from Scotland, and was the first boilermaker employed by
that company, continuing until his death at Port Huron, Mich. Mrs. Mary Jane Wilson
died July 7, 1915, leaving three children: Robert, a printer of Los Angeles; Mrs. Agnes
L. Every of Tacoma, Wash., whose husband is claim agent for the Northern Pacific
Railway; and Clarence, a graduate of Stanford University and a civil engineer by_ pro-
fession, of San Francisco; he was a member of the Interstate Commerce Commission
that recently completed a physical valuation of the different railroads, and he is now



1632 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

with the Pacific Gas and Electric Company in San Francisco. He enlisted in the Third
U. S. Engineers in the World War and was stationed at Camp Humphries, Va.

For his second wife Mr. Wilson married Mrs. Jennie A. Keeling, also a native of
Canada, and they are among the esteemed citizens of Orange County. He was made
a Mason in Ancient Landmark Lodge, St. Paul, Minn., and is now a member of Anaheim
Lodge, F. & A. M. He has also been a member of the Odd Fellows for forty-hve years
and is a charter member of Anaheim Lodge No. 1345, B. P. O. Elks, and of the Modern
Woodmen. For years he was a member of the Anaheim Chamber of Commerce.

ANTON C. CARLE. — A thoroughly experienced and successful farmer, whose
intelligence and industry have spelled for him and others a well-merited prosperity,
while his uprightness of character and general dependability have won for him the
confidence of all who know him, is Anton C. Carle, the lessee for eighteen years of a
ranch not far from El Toro, where he lives and labors with his devoted and gifted
wife, in a home made the more attractive through a promising, ambitious daughter,
preparing for a business vocation. He was born in Alsace-Lorraine, France, on May
10, 1878, and like all the inhabitants of that region enjoying better advantages, learned
both French and German. At Dinsheim, too, the famous vineyard place not so far
from Strassburg, he was married, on July 21, 1900, to Mary Catherine Kuntz, a native
of that place, where she was born on December 3, 1880, the daughter of Martin Kuntz,
of Alsace-Lorraine. He was an expert machinist, but died in 1907, and his wife, whose
maiden name was Madeline Myer, was born in the same place. Seven girls were born
to Mr. and Mrs. Kuntz, and they attended the schools of the Catholic Sisters.

Mr. and Mrs. Carle were married when she was nineteen years old, and on
August 6, 1900, they bade goodbye to parents, and other relatives and friends, and
began their honeymoon trip with a voyage across the Atlantic. They sailed from
Hamburg and landed in New York, from which city they took the train across the
continent, and alighted at Los Angeles on August 26. In Dundee, Los Angeles, and
also at Loma Linda and Glendora, Mr. and Mrs. Carle worked out together — he as
gardener and she as housekeeper, and when they had made a good start for them-
selves, they came out to El Toro.

Here he worked for Dwight Whiting, at first as a gardener, and among other
things he then accomplished he set out 487 acres of eucalyptus, now almost a forest,
half a mile to the northeast of El Toro. He had almost eighty men working under
him, and this gave him a chance to add Spanish to his fund of languages, so that he now
speaks French, German, English and Spanish. He first came to El Toro in 1904, and
when, five years later, Mr." Whiting died, he took a lease on 320 acres and began to
refit. He now raises hay, barley and oat-hay, mixed and pure, and the balance in
beans and wheat — eighty-five acres of the former and twenty acres of the latter, and
in their comfortable home about two miles from El Toro they reflect with both
happy and sober thoughts on the past.

Mr. Carle's father was also named Anton, and he was born at Gresweile, in
Alsace, as was his wife, whose maiden name was Clementine Doersaff. She died two
years before our subject came to America. She had twelve children, ten girls and
two boys, and among these Anton was the eighth child in the order of birth. He
learned gardening in Alsace, but he worked, while there, mostly as a weaver of cloth.
He wove woolen, cotton and silk goods, and he still has some of the fabrics that he
wove himself.

His first work here was in Dundee at viticulture and horticulture, and then for
Mrs. Frank Taylor, at the corner of Central and Adams streets in Los Angeles, and
from there he went to Loma Linda, where he made the beautiful drives from the rocks,
planned the roadways and laid out the flowers. In this unpretentious but pleasant
manner Mr. Carle began his association with the Southland; today he owns the busi-
ness block, including the barber shop and pool hall, opposite the' railroad depot at
El Toro, which he built, and for two years he ran a butcher shop, after which he re-
modeled it and now rents it as has just been stated. He uses eighteen head of horses
and mules in his farming operations. He also owns a number two special Ventura
bean thresher, and during the season is kept busy threshing in the neighborhood. He
is prosperous, and he wishes everyone else to be equally successful. He is an
American through and through, and during the recent war patronized each issue of
the Liberty Bonds, and otherwise supported the war activities. He is a naturalized
American citizen and a Republican.

In 1906 Mrs. Carle returned to Alsace-Lorraine on a visit, and took with her
their daughter, Emma Juanita. now a student in the Orange County Business College.
They had a fine time, and have been talking about it with satisfaction ever since.
They have also thought of their home associations with sorrow, for great changes
have occurred where once all was so attractive.




^ ^ Si^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1635

AMBROSE F. FISHERING.— Perseverance and optimism have ever been the
outstanding characteristics of Ambrose F. Fishering, now a successful rancher near
Anaheim, and these qualities, combined with steady, industrious application to the
task at hand, have enabled him to rise above circumstances that would have daunted
one less courageous. Mr. Fishering's early memories carry him back to the Buckeye
State, where he was born at Xenia., August 16. 1868, the seventh child in the family
of Henry and Mary (Beall) Fishering. The father was born in Germany, but came
to Ohio in the early days, when he was a lad of sixteen, and he was for many years
in the mercantile business in Xenia.

Mr. Fishering's early education was gained in the public schools of his native
city, but his opportunities in that line were limited as he left home at the age of
thirteen to make his own way in the world. He learned the furniture trade when but
a boy and followed this line of work until he was of age, when he went into the retail
grocery business at Dayton, Ohio. He was meeting with good success when the flood
of 1899 wiped out his business completely, destroying all that he had. Too ambitious
and energetic to be routed by even this disaster, he rebuilt and soon was forging ahead
more rapidly than ever, only to suffer a second loss of all his possessions in the great
flood of 1900, that caused such a terrible loss of life and property in this Ohio city.

These experiences determined Mr. Fishering to locate in the West, so. in 1901 he
came to Los Angeles, Cal., and though practically without capital he undertook the
purchase of five acres of land in the Sunrise tract, now Huntington Park, where he
built the first house. He took a position with the Van Vorst, Burman Furniture Com-
pany in Los Angeles, later connecting with Barker Brothers as foreman of their frame
department, a position which he held for fourteen years, driving back and forth with
a horse and buggy to his work. In the meantime Mr. Fishering divided his five-acre
tract into town lots and sold them off, making a handsome profit in the transaction.

In 1908 Mr. Fishering came to Anaheim and soon after purchased ten acres on
Loara Road and Lincoln Boulevard. This was a rough, unattractive piece of land, in
poor condition, and one with less foresight and courage than Mr. Fishering would
have hesitated to buy it, not being able to see its possibilities. He went to work on
it at once, however, developing a sixty-inch water supply, and setting out a citrus grove
from his own nursery stock. He has taken great pride and pleasure in bringing his
ranch, which they have named El-No-Care-O, up to a high state of cultivation, and
works unceasingly to keep it in this condition. Despite the losses he sustained before
coming to California, he has retrieved his fortunes and has accumulated a competence
since his arrival here.

On April 16, 1902, Mr. Fishering was married to Mrs. Sadie J. (Burton) Myers,
formerly of Iowa, but a resident of Los Angeles for a number of years. By her first
marriage she was the mother of a son, Edmond B. Myers, who is an expert mechanic
and served on a submarine in the Atlantic during the war. Mr. and Mrs. Fishering
are the parents of one son, Robert Huntington, so named because he was the first child
born in Huntington Park. He graduated from the Anaheim grammar school and in
July, 1919, enlisted in the U. S. Government radio service and is now at Mare Island
(1920). Mrs. Fishering has ever been a capable helpmate to her husband, cheerfully
aiding him in all his undertakings, and he gives to her due credit for a great degree of
the success they have attained. They have recently erected a fine residence on their
ranch and here they live in comfort. Seeing the necessity for co-operation in all local
affairs, M'r. Fishering is a member of the .\naheim Citrus Association and gives his
loyal support to the affairs of that organization. He marches under the Republican
banner and is a firm adherent of the policies of that party.

CHESTER H. KENYON.— A self-made, scientifically-operating farmer, who has
learned by hard study the best of all the various methods for the production of abundant
crops, is Chester H. Kenyon, the well-known rancher of Glen Avenue, Tustin, among
the best supporters of the Santa Ana Valley Irrigation Company and an energetic
member of the Santa Ana Walnut Growers' Association. He was born near Mt. Union.
Henry County, Iowa, on March 8, 1884, the son of \N'm. H. and Flora (Hale) Kenyon,
the father being a native of Wisconsin. Mrs. Kenyon died when our subject was eight
years of age, and then he was taken by an aunt, Mrs. Amelia Crellin, a sister of his
father, by whom he was reared. There were three children in the Kenyon family, and
Chester was the oldest.

Chester attended the common schools in Henry County, Iowa, until he came to
California with his uncle and aunt, Mr. and Mrs. Crellin, in October, 1899, and then he
finished his schooling here. In June, 1899, these foster parents first came to Tustin,
and two days after their arrival they purchased the "Nat Brown" place, now the home
ranch of a brother of Mr. Kenyon. They returned to Iowa, sold out and brought the



1636 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

boys along. While attending school Chester worked this estate for his uncle, while
he went to work also for other ranchers. In about 1908 his father followed him to
Tustin, and for the first time perhaps enjoyed a balmy climate and some well-earned
rest; he also became an orange grower and makes his home in Tustin. Chester Ken-
yon's first holding was a five-acre citrus grove, which he later sold. In 1913 he bought
eleven and a half acres, which he devoted to walnuts; and this is now the home place,
where he has erected a very comfortable residence. He has added eight acres of wal-
nuts adjoining, so now has nineteen and one-half acres. He is also at present raising
beans, of which he has thirty acres on the San Joaquin ranch, so that, altogether, he
manages about seventy acres.

The day after Christmas, 1908, Mr. Kenyon was married to Miss Jessie Scott, the
daughter of Chester H. and Elcina Scott, farmer folks of Kansas, who later removed
to California. One daughter, Marjorie, has blessed this union. Mr. and Mrs. Kenyon
liberally supported Red Cross and War Loan work during the War, and are always
ready to lend a hand, when needed, for social uplift and advancement.

R. W. EDENS. — Orange County has been fortunate to draw within its boundaries
men of energy, resourcefulness and brains, who have devoted their time and talents to
the development of its diversified resources. Among the men who have closely iden-
tified themselves with the oil industry is R. W. Edens, of Fullerton, a large stockholder
and general manager of. the Mid-Central Oil Company, now drilling for oil in proven
territory at Huntington Beach. He also is financially interested in other companies
that are now drilling in that locality. Besides these extensive interests, Mr. Edens is
one of the proprietors of the Orange County Fertilizer Company, and a member of
the firm of Edens and Wagner, dealers in oil lands and leases, and investments, with
offices in the Amerige Block, Fullerton.

A native of Kentucky, R. W. Edens was born in Cumberland County, September
26, 1875, and was educated in the public schools of his native section until he was
sixteen, then he came to California, and in Ventura County, secured employment in
citrus orchards. He assisted in setting out the famous Lemoneira Orchard, the largest
lemon ranch in the world. After he had labored in the orchards of Ventura County a
number of years he left there and located in Fullerton in 1904. This was then a small
country village with scarcely any civic improvements, and here he opened the first
garage, thus showing that he was strictly up-to-date. He then had the agency for the
Maxwell and Chalmers cars, also sold auto trucks. As he succeeded he formed a
partnership with John E. Wagner, of Placentia, and organized the Orange County
Fertilizer Company, which confines its business to Orange and Los Angeles counties.
They specialize in barnyard manure and commercial fertilizer, and to conduct their
business they operate five motor trucks, three of which they own. This company has
played an important part in the development of the citrus fruit industry in the county
since its inception, the volume of business aggregating about $15,000 per month.



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 184 of 191)