Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 185 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 185 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


The marriage of R. W. Edens united him with Miss Mollie Matthews, a native of
Pennsylvania. She is a member of the Presbyterian Church in Fullerton and a lady of
many accomplishments who shares with her husband the esteem of a wide circle of
friends. Fraternally Mr. Edens is a member of Fullerton Lodge No. 394, F. & A. M.;
Anaheim Lodge No. 1345, B. P. O. Elks, and of the Fullerton Board of Trade.

Mr. Edens is a man of the strictest integrity, liberal and progressive in his ideas
and methods; a live wire and a booster who takes an interest in every movement that
has for its aim the promotion of the best interests of the community, and especially
of Fullerton, where he makes his home and is popularly conceded to be a leader in all
that seeks to elevate the best in citizenship.

LILLIAN PREST FERGUSON.— A painter regarded by many critics as fore-
most in the delicate art of portraiture, is Mrs. Lillian Prest Ferguson, whose charming
personality canot fail to hasten the fulfillment of her dream for Laguna Beach as a
center of the best art. She was born in Ontario, Canada, the only daughter of Thomas
Prest, a banker and real estate broker at Windsor, who had married Miss Sarah Smith,
a daughter of Samuel Smith, the first mayor of Guelph, Ontario. When Lillian was
ten years of age she went with her parents out to the great Northwest, and lived in
a sod house; and she has many tales to tell of the hardships endured there. There were
no schools in that territory at that time, and her mother sent her to Winnipeg, where
she was educated in a convent under the instruction of Sister Mary Xavier.

She had a natural talent for portrait sketching, and was early given some instruc-
tion; and when only sixteen years of age she finished her first real work. It was a
portrait of the mother of Archbishop Tache, a prelate she has always admired, and to
whom she has felt peculiarly indebted for her early success; and some months later
she put the last touches to a portrait of the Archbishop's father. She remained in



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1637

Winnipeg some months, studying and painting, and then she went to Toronto, where
she studied with W. L. Forster. She returned to Winnipeg and was made an instructor
in the Winnipeg Art School, where she remained until her marriage with Peter Fer-
guson, an attorney of Ontario, with whom she toured England, Scotland and France.
Then she became a student at the Academie Julien of Portraiture in Paris, and there
made rapid progress under the renowned Professor La Fevre. On another trip to
Europe she studied in Holland, with her instructor, Alexander Robinson, and from
there she made various sketching trips to the most picturesque parts of the Continent,
exhibiting her work the next season at the gallery in Paris.

Coming west to California in 191S, Mrs. Ferguson settled for a while at Carmel-
by-the-Sea, fortunate in the pleasant association with William M. Chase, who gave
instruction in portraiture. Since 1912 she had made sketching trips to Laguna P)each;
for, having once become familiar with the unrivalled attractions here, she needed no
incentive to urge her to return. During 1918 Mrs. Ferguson planned and erected her
home place one and a quarter miles south of the Laguna Beach Hotel, and she has
started a school of pottery at Laguna Beach, in which she herself gives expert instruc-
tion during the winter months. At other times she is generally to be found at her
truly remarkable studio at the beach.

Mrs. Ferguson's art is to be seen at the galleries at Exposition Park,* in Los
Angeles, and also in San Francisco. She is an active member in the Independent
Society of Artists of New York City, the California Art Club and the Laguna Beach
Art Association, of which she is a charter member. She also belongs to the Hollywood
Woman's Club, and to the MacDowell Society.

GEORGE ROHRS. — .A hard-working, progressive and successful native son ot
whom California may well be proud, is George Rohrs, whose life reflects his high
ideals, and does credit alike to his esteemed parents and to himself. His father was
Fred Rohrs, the well-known rancher and realty owner, who was born in Germany, in
the historic year of 1848, and came out to America when he was still in his teens. His
mother was Anna Gobrugge before her marriage, also a native of that country, and
she came to the land of greater freedom, hoping to better her condition — a wish that
was amply satisfied. They were true pioneers of the great state of Ohio, where they
were married, and later did their part in helping to develop the still greater common-
wealth of California.

George was born in Orange County on December 10, 1884, and attended the
Central school at Santa Ana. Then he worked on his father's ranches. In time, too.
he purchased twenty acres to the west of his father's ranch, where he set out orange
and walnut trees. He also sunk a good well, and so has reserve water for irrigation,
as has his father on the home ranch. He uses a tractor and horses, and works ht.«
ranch at the same time that he operates his father's. He is a member of the Santa
Ana Valley Irrigation Company.

In May, 1914, Mr. Rohrs was married to Miss Dora Miller, the daughter of Mr.
and Mrs. Charles Miller, of Tustin Avenue, whereupon they went to the East on an
extended honeymoon trip of several months. He had already built a fine residence
upon his ranch, and furnished the same, and it was ready for his home upon their
return. Mr. Rohrs was the owner of real estate and specially of buildings for business
purposes in Santa Ana, so that he may well be looked upon as one of the men of affairs
in the city.

L. E. ALLEN. — A conservative, but enterprising rancher who has had the advan-
tage of seeing the steady growth and sure development of the county from the time
that he was a boy, so that it is perfectly natural for him to work for home interests,
and especially, with his appreciation of education and love of literature, for the public
schools, is L. E. Allen, a native of Port Elgin, Ontario, Canada, where he first saw
the light on April 14, 1883. His father, H. A. Allen, was born in Ontario and a
descendant of a well-established old Puritan family of the New England states. He
became both a farmer and a banker, and married Emma German, a native of the
Empire State, a member of that fine old New England circle among whom was
Senator Obadiah German.

H. A. Allen came out to California on a visit in 1860. but returned to Canada.
Twenty-four years later, he returned, with his family. L. E. Allen was then a babe;
but in the course of his boyhood he progressed through the grammar grades of the
local schools. On April 14. 1886, Mr. and Mrs. Allen and their family moved on to
the eight acres on Main Street, known as the Potts Place, which constituted the
home ranch; and there our subject, as a dutiful son, worked until he was twenty-one
years old. When the father died, in 1916. he left over eighty acres of land to his
widow, Mrs. Emma Allen.



1638 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

L. E. Allen helped Mr. Stevens survey the Fruit Company's ranch and helped
to set out many of the best orchards in this section. His brother, A. H. Allen, is
a partner with him in their ranch enterprises, operating fifty-two acres of land in
the city limits of Santa Ana, with two residences, nearly all set out to walnuts.
They use tractors and horses to operate the ranch. Another brother, Gerald, and
the mother, Mrs. H. A. Allen, now reside at Los Angeles. Mr. Allen belongs to the
Santa Ana Walnut Association and the Santa Ana Valley Irrigation Company, and
in national politics is a Republican; but he endeavors to perform his duty in relation
to local affairs by a groad-gauged nonpartisanship, enabling him to work and vote
for the best men and the best measures.

JOHN W. SAUERS. — Yorba Avenue borders some of the most attractive ranches
in the Tustin District, and of special attraction is the well-developed property owned
and operated by John W. Sauers, a native Nebraskan, who is widely known as one of
the most practical of farmers. There are twenty acres in the tract, and nine are de-
voted to English walnuts, while eleven bear Valencia oranges. Ten of these acres
Mr. Sauers purchased in 1913, and upon the original ranch he built his dwelling house;
the other ten he bought as recently as 1917. All the land was in poor condition when
he first acquired it, but now he is able to point to a high state of cultivation. The
splendid and well-kept appearance of his orchard demonstrates the large amount of
labor and care he gives to the cultivation of his place, leaving the soil and trees in
such fine condition that it is the consensus of opinion it is one of the best orchards
and counted one of the show-places of the district.

Born at Hooper, Dodge County, in the Black Water State, August 1, 1880, he is
the son of John and Jane (Bruner) Sauers, natives of Pennsylvania, who became
pioneers of Nebraska. The father was an extensive farmer and stock raiser, who later
came to Orange County, where he became a successful and prominent horticulturist
at Tustin. He and his beloved wife passed away at Santa Ana, where they had re-
sided during later years. Grandfather John Sauers served in a Pennsylvania regiment
in the Civil War. A brother of J. W. Sauers, C. E. Sauers, and a sister, Margaret,
now Mrs. Suddaby, are also residents of Tustin.

John W. Sauers was brought up and educated in the public schools of Nebraska,
and in time learned the trade of his father, carpentering. After years of application to
this handiwork, he came out to California, in 1906, and fortunately settled in Orange
County, where he has come to enjoy the confidence and esteem of his fellow-men.

Mr. Sauers has been twice married. His first wife, to whom he was married in
1903, was Miss Maud Osborn before her marriage, and she became the mother of a
daughter, Volga Laurene. His second wife, married in 1914, was Mi?»s Hazel, a daugh-
ter of R. M. Rowley, who was a pioneer of Santa Ana, coming from Massachusetts to
California in the early days. Being a pharmacist, he started a drug store on Fourth
and Main streets, still known as the Rowley Drug Store, of which he was the active
head until he died in 1918. His widow still survives him. Mrs. Sauers was born in
Santa Ana, and was a graduate of the high school. They have one child, a son, John
Vernon Sauers.

Mr. Sauers has never affiliated with any lodge, but he is nevertheless popular for
his personal worth as a man. Among ranchers he holds his own as a horticulturist
and agriculturist who knows what he wants, and who goes about the getting of it in
a scientific way. Mr. and Mrs. Sauers take an active interest in civic affairs, as well as
a deep interest in religion, both being active members of the First Presbyterian
Church of Santa Ana.

ANDREW COCK. — For many years a prominent resident of Orange County
and actively associated with the development of the horticultural wealth of this part
of the state, Andrew Cock is today one of the best informed and most highly respected
horticulturalists in California. He is owner of an exceptionally valuable ranch just
south of Santa Ana, located on South Main Street, and consisting of fifty-five acres,
devoted to general farming and the nursery business. This property is under a high
state of cultivation and is splendidly improved, making one of the most attractive
homes in the vicinity.

Mr. Cock is a native of Waco, Texas, born August 22, 1886, but came to Cali-
fornia with his parents when he was a baby, locating at Tustin, where the father
engaged in ranching. He received his education in the public grammar school at
Tustin and in the Polytechnic high school in Santa Ana. When he was nineteen years
of age he entered the employ of the San Joaquin Fruit Company at Tustin, being
stationed on their 1000-ranch near that place. From his boyhood he had been keenly
interested in horticulture and here he found ample scope for the development of his
natural inclinations. He found the development of this great fruit ranch a task




(^^^^^^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1641

entirely to his liking, and at the age of twenty-two years he was made manager,
which position he held, discharging the heavy responsibility which it entailed with
ability and efficiency, until 1919. In the development of the San Joaquin Fruit Com-
pany's ranch Mr. Cock was especially successful. He made a careful and detailed
study of individual trees and secured the buds only from record trees, that produced
fruit of superior quality and in great abundance, thus developing a superior stock
of trees. He assisted with the planting of the first tree, soon after his employment
by the company, and later as manager, superintended the development of vast groves
of oranges, lemons and walnuts. In September, 1919, he resigned his position to
engage in farming for himself, and purchased his present property at Santa Ana,
where he has since made his home.

The marriage of Mr. Cock occurred in Tustin, and united him with Miss Nellie
Gertrude Matthews, a native of Kiowa, Kans., who came to Tustin, Cal., with her
parents in her teens. Of their union have been born three children, two sons and
a daughter, namely, Leonard, Lewis and Margaret. Both Mr. and Mrs. Cock have
a wide circle of friends in Orange County, and have taken an active part in social and
civic affairs. Mr. Cock is a member of the Santa Ana Branch of the Federal Reserve
Board and a prominent member of the Knights of Pythias, Tustin lodge, of which he is
past chancellor. ,

Mr. Cock is descended from a long line of splendid American ancestry. His
father was Linneaus A. Cock, born near Marshall, Texas. April 6, 1856, and his
grandfather, Lafayette Cock, was a native of Tennessee. Lafayette Cock removed
to Mississippi, where he was married to Bennetta Taylor, a native of Mississippi.
They later removed to Texas and engaged in farming near Marshall, but eventually
returned to Mississippi where Lafayette Cock passed away July 31, 1861, and Mrs.
Cock, September 25. 1865. Linneaus A. Cock was brought to Holmes County, Miss.,
by his parents in 1860 and was reared and educated in that state. He was married
in Madison County, Miss., December 11, 1884, to Miss Viola Ward, a native of that
county and the daughter of the Rev. T. M. and Mattie (Taylor) Ward, the former
a native of Tennessee and the latter of Holmes County, Miss. Rev. T. M. Ward,
was a Princeton graduate and also held a medical degree from Columbia University.
He rode the Methodist circuit for many years, preaching and practicing medicine,
carrying his Bible and his medicines in his saddle bags. The maternal great-grand-
father of our subject, Andrew Cock, was EHas Taylor, who served through the
Mexican War as private aide to General Zack Taylor, of whom he was a nephew.
He was a prominent railroad man, being one of the builders of the Southern Division
of the Illinois Central Railroad, and served as its president for many years.

After their marriage Linneaus Cock and his bride went to Waco, Texas, and
engaged in cattle raising until 1887, when they came to California, locating at Tustin,
Orange County, where they engaged in ranching. In 1899 he bought a ranch near
Tustin which he greatly improved, and now has ten acres of Valencia oranges and
five acres of walnuts, in full bearing. He is retired from active business and resides
in Tustin with his wife. Of the children born of this union, seven are still living,
all well and favorably known in Orange County. They are Mrs. Edith Egert, a
teacher in the Los Angeles schools; Andrew-, the subject of this sketch; Alma, a
graduate nurse, now residing in Los Angeles; Thomas, a traveling salesman for the
Sherwin-Williams Company, of Los Angeles; Edgar, a machinist in Tustin; Willis
residing on his father's ranch at Tustin; and Howard, a student in the Polytechnic'
high school in Santa Ana.

S. F. DEAMUD. — A conservative, but progressive man, whose great perseverance
has brought him a measure of prosperity which, in turn, makes him a natural, enthusi-
astic "booster" for Santa Ana and Orange County, is- S. F. Deamud, a native of Wayne,
Wayne County, Mich., where he was born on January 22, 1858, eighteen miles west
of Detroit. His father, Samuel Deamud, was a native of Toronto, Canada, and as a
maker of shoes controlled for his lifetime a large and profitable business. His mother
was Sarah Moore before her marriage, and she was a daughter of John Moore, an
Englishman by birth. When Samuel Deamud and his wife married, they came to
Wayne, Mich., to make their home.

The lad was sent to the ordinary local schools, and being fond of machinery,
learned how to run an engine when he was a mere youth. After a while, he moved
about from town to town in Michigan, and then he went beyond the state's borders into
and through other large cities, acquiring valuable practical experience.

In 1881 he took up a homestead tract at Arapahoe, Furnace County, Nebr., and
staying with the venture, won out and acquired full title, proving up on the 160
acres. Then he sold his Nebraska holdings, and, like a modern knight, motored west
to California in a Maxwell touring car.



1642 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

At 1003 Grand Avenue he purchased two acres, which he improved and developed
in the setting out of walnuts and oranges. He has stock in the Santa Ana Valley
Irrigation Company, and so gets the benefit of their irrigation service. He is also a
member of the Santa Ana Walnut Growers Association. He is something of a poultry
fancier, with a preference for the best strains of Leghorn and Rhode Island Reds, and
for the purpose he has an ideal poultry house.

On June 7, 1897, Mr. Deamud was married to Mrs. Ella (Scheeks) Keeler, a widow
with two children. Mabel is the wife of Clyde Larson, a farmer of Nebraska, and Lulu
is at home. Mrs. Deamud's father, Nelson Scheeks, was killed in the battle of the
Wilderness, in the Civil War; and the mother died shortly after of sorrow. Mr. Deamud
has a brother, William H. Deamud, who has been a resident of Santa Ana for the past
thirteen years. He also has a sister, Mrs. Charles Amann, of Los Angeles.

In national politics a Republican, Mr. Deamud has supported prohibition as a
desirable move for the bettering of societ}-; and he has also liberally encouraged both
War loan drives and the work of the Salvation Army.

CHARLES L. COTANT. — A young, but enterprising and very capable business
man, who is fast rising in the local commercial world, is Charles L. Cotant, a native
of Nevada, where he was born at Elko on September 13, 1893. He is the son of Allen
Leroy and Margaret Cotant, early settlers of Nevada and Montana, his father having
been engaged extensively in the cattle business. He came to Orange County for the
first time with his parents in 1898, when Allen L. Cotant purchased a ranch of seventy-
five acres in various tracts at Tustin. The home place was on First Street and Glen
Avenue, and was formerly known as the W. S. Bartlett place; it had groves of walnuts
and oranges, and there the father still resides.

Charles L. Cotant attended both the Tustin grammar and the Orange County
high schools, and took a course in the School of Commerce and Finance in Los
Angeles in 1910. He also attended the Los Angeles Military Academy. In 1911, he
was employed to make collections for the Cudahy Packing Company, and two years
later he associated himself as assistant cashier with the First National Bank of Tustin,
a position he held for two years. In March, 1915, he took charge of the collection,
escrow and bond departments of the First National Bank of Santa Ana.

On August 31, 1915, Mr. Cotant was married to Miss Eileen Tubbs, the daughter
of V. \'. and Lillian Tubbs of Tustin, who came to California in 1890 from Emerson,
Mills County, Iowa, where they were landowners. Miss Tubbs was graduated from
the Santa Ana high school, after which she pursued an art course at Pomona College.
One daughter, Mary Elizabeth, has blessed this marriage. The family attend the First
Presbyterian Church and share in its spiritual, social and sociological life and work.
Mr. Cotant is a Republican in matters of national political moment, but never allows
the hindrance of narrow partisanship to interfere with his support of the best measures
for the community in which he resides.

BARRETT L. HALDERMAN.— An enterprising young rancher, whose scientific
knowledge of horticulture has contributed greatly to his success, is Barrett L. Haider-
man, a native of Phillips County, Kans., where he was born on November 11, 1883.
His father, Charles M. Halderman, was a native of Ohio, but was reared in Iowa and
removed as a pioneer to Kansas, where he homesteaded 160 acres in Phillips County.
He married Miss Eliza Pillsbury, also a native of Ohio, and of Scotch-Irish ancestry,
•and became an extensive landowner in the Northwestern States. Coming to California,
in time he brought his family to Santa Ana, and bought a ranch at Tustin; and since
1903 he has been associated with ranch properties in Orange County.

Barrett Halderman attended both the grammar and high schools at Long Island,
Kans., and for two years studied at the Manhattan Agricultural College. At that time,
however, he felt less interest in horticulture, and developed instead a live interest in
trade. He became a grain buyer and shipper in North Dakota and Minnesota.

On October 1, 1913, Mr. Halderman was married at Lincoln to Miss May Hadell,
the daughter of Alfred and Emtna (Nye) Hadell. Her father was a merchant at Long
Island, Kans., and was well known for both his enterprise and his high sense of honor.
Three fine boys have blessed this marriage — Earl, Alan and Barrett. The family attend
the Roman Catholic Church. Mr. Halderman owns eleven and a half acres on East
Washington Street, and the family controls ninety acres of the best soil in the county.
No wonder, then, that they are all good "boosters."

The three brothers of Mr. Halderman have excellent military records, and all the
Haldermans are noted for their loyalty. Barrett Halderman is a Democrat, but non-
partisan when it comes to helping along worthy projects of a local character. He is a
member of the Santa Ana Valley Irrigation Company, the Santa Ana Walnut Growers
Association, and the Anaheim Orange Growers Association. He also belongs to the
Modern Woodmen of America and to the Knights of Columbus.



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1643

DR. BERNICE BENNETT.— The professional circles of Huntington Heach have
recently been augmented by the addition of the able and efficient osteopathic physician
and surgeon. Dr. Bernice Bennett. She is the daughter of Arthur W. and Mary E.
(Slocuni) Bennett, and was born in Adair County, Iowa. Her early education was re-
ceived in the public school of her district and was supplemented l)y the first-year
course of the high school at Earlhani, Iowa.

In 1908 Miss Bennett came to California, locating at Monrovia, where she con-
tinued her schooling, graduating from the Monrovia high school in 1912. Deciding
to enter upon a professional career. Miss Bennett chose the science of osteopathy,
together with that of surgery. She entered the Pacific College of Ostopathy, until
it merged and became the College of Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons, and was
graduated from the latter institution in January, 1916, with the degree ofD. O., after
which, to equip herself more thoroughly for the responsibilities of her chosen profes-
sion, she took a post-graduate course at her .Mma Mater, and finished the requirements
in .Time of the same year.

Because of her splendid ability and thorough training. Dr. Bennett was selected
as an assistant to Dr. A. E. Pike, of the Osteopathic Sanitarium at Long Beach. She
gained much valuable experience by her association with this famous osteopathic
physician, which greatly aids her in her professional work.

In November, 1919, Dr. Bennett opened an office at Huntington Beach in the
First National Bank Building. Although she has been a resident of Huntington Beach
but a short time. Dr. Bennett has already established a splendid practice, and her fame,
with her thorough knowledge of the science of osteopathy, which is being spread
abroad, greatly augments her clientele. She is a member of the Delta Omega Society,
and professionally is a member of the Orange County Osteopathic .Association and
the California State Osteopathic Association.

JOSEPH A. MERRICK.— An engineer who makes a specialty of steel structural
engineering is Joseph .\. Merrick, prosperous rancher and business man of Santa Ana,



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 185 of 191)