Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 187 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 187 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


through twenty-eight states, returning to Des Moines in 1898. He took up contract-
ing and building in masonry, succeeded very well, but in 1901 returned to Seattle,
and there, as a contractor and builder he remained active until 1904. Then he came
south to Los Angeles again, and there he has since resided, reaping the fruits of his
own enterprises, started far back in 1898. A general contractor, he is the senior
member of the firm of Stradley & Newton, brick, concrete and cement contractors,
with an office at 500 Stimson Building in that city. In 1919, he himself erected
twenty-eight store buildings in different sections of Los Angeles, and he also put
up buildings in Wasco, Kern County, and at Newhall, Cal. Besides, he erected a
large number of private residences in Los Angeles.

Mr. Stradley's entrance into Orange County dates from 1911, when he came to
Placentia to construct the two-story brick block for the Placentia National Bank.
He then bought lots and started to build up the promising town, and ever since,
he has built additional structures, always holding on to what he has once acquired,
'i'hese include the Marjie and the Stradley brick blocks of two stories, on Santa Fe
.\venue, and no less than forty-four apartments in the town. Those who recall that
Mr. Stradley erected the Wilcox Cafe at Seal Beach, will not be surprised at the
thorough manner in which he has taken hold of Placentia real estate and the problem
of the new town's development. He is a director of the Los Angeles Builders
Kxchange, and is also an officer in the Mason Contractors' Association of Los Angeles.

Mrs. Stradley, who enjoys the devotion of a large circle of appreciative friends,
v.-as Miss Marguerite M. Kuntz before her marriage, and is a native of Iowa. Mr.
Stradley is a member of Golden State Lodge, No. 358, F. & A. M.. Signet Chapter,
No. 57, R. A. M., Perfection Consistory, No. 3. S. R., Al Malaikah Temple, A. A. O.
N. M. S. and Jinniston Grotto, M. O. V. P. E. R., all of Los Angeles. He is also
a member of the Odd Fellows, the Modern Woodmen, Knights of the Maccabees, and
the Sunset Country Club.

HENRY G. MEISER.— .\ very successful rancher owning several tracts of
desirable land, and a citizen fortunate not only in the esteem but the hearty good will
of his fellowmen, who are familiar with his leadership in various movements making
for the broad and permanent development of Fullerton and vicinity, is Henry G.
Meiser, who was born near Lincoln, Nebr., on November 21, 1880, the son of Henry
and Elizabeth Meiser, farmer folks of Nebraska. These worthy pioneers came to
California in 1881 and settled at Anaheim; and there Mr. Meiser worked in the lumber
mill for three years. In 1884, the elder Meiser purchased twenty acres of land, which
he set out to grapes, oranges and walnuts; and these twenty acres are known today
as the old Meiser home place.

Henry G. Meiser attended the schools in Fullerton, and when only fifteen started
out for himself in the world. For five years he worked in the Orange County Nursery,
and then in 1904, he purchased a ranch of twelve acres, on South Spadra Street, which
he himself set out to Valencia oranges. There, too, in 1916, he built for himself
a home. The land is under both the Anaheim Union Water Company and the El
Camino Water Company, financed by a company of neighboring farmers and com-
manding a well of 100 inches. Mr. Meiser took a live interest in this co-operative
project, and until recently was secretary of the company.

Mr. Meiser was also president of the Federal Farm Loan Board of Orangethorpe,
and soon after the precinct branch was formed, it was taken into the Orange County



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1649

Gi-ganization, in which Mr. Meiser then became a director. How much good this
l-ederal loan movement has accomplished here, both to the individual rancher need-
ing the aid of capital, and to the community needing the rancher, only those familiar
with the general working of the Federal Loan may realize, but Mr. Meiser and his
;,ssociates are to be congratulated on the fruits of their strenuous labors.

In 1913, Mr. Meiser purchased ten acres of land half a mile west of Fullerton,
a ranch formerly devoted to the culture of walnuts. He grubbed out the latter,
l;owever, and set out Valencia orange trees; and now he has a display of citrus fruit
worth a journey to see. In the fall of 1918. he also bought ten acres on East
Orangethorpe Avenue, near Placentia, and this land with its four-year-old trees bear-
ing \'alencias is also under the Anaheim Union Water Company. He belongs to the
riaccntia Orange Growers Association, and markets his products thereby.

At Fullerton, Mr. Meiser was married to Miss Pauline Schnitger, a native of
Wisconsin who had become a resident of Garden Grove. Both husband and wife
belong to the Methodist Church of Fullerton, and Mr. Meiser is both a Mason and an
Odd Fellow. He also belongs to the ranks of the Republicans; but he is too public
spirited to allow any party preferences to stand in the way of giving his support,
in local movements at least, to the best men and the best measures.

E. EARL CAMPBELL. — One of the leaders among the scientific young ranchers
of Orange County is E. Earl Campbell, who is also making a marked success, not
only as an orange grower, but also in agricultural ranching. Enterprising and well in-
formed in all lines pertaining to soils and crop conditions, Mr. Campbell conducts his
ranch on modern business lines. Belonging to the third generation of Campbells who
have contributed to the development of Orange County, he is the grandson of Robert
Campbell, who came here in 1884, settling on the ranch on South Cambridge Avenue,
a part of which is now owned by Earl Campbell.

Illinois was the birthplace of E. Earl Campbell and he first saw the light of day
on the Campbell homestead, near Peoria, on October 29, 1886. His parents were D. F.
and Julia F. (Shaw) Campbell, a sketch of their lives being given elsewhere in this
volume. There were ten children in the Campbell family, as follows: E. Earl of
this review; Henry S., a rancher near Orange: Roy, a graduate of the University of
California, is now an assistant entomologist in the Department of Agriculture; Elma is
Mrs. Wood of Covina; Ruby resides in Los Angeles, where she is employed; Ensley
is assistant farm advisor of Monterey County and Robert attends the University of
California; Margaret is in the Orange Union high school; Hazel and Julia attend the
grammar school at Orange.

When E. Earl Campbell was but a year old his parents removed to California,
where his father engaged in ranching and citrus culture at Orange. Reaching school
age, he attended the grammar school at Orange and graduated from the Orange high
school, being a member of the second class to graduate from that institu-
tion and of the first class graduated from the fine, new modern building. Later he
entered the California Polytechnic at San Luis Obispo, taking a two years' course, and
was a leader in his class, especially among the debaters of the college; returning to
Orange, in 1908 he began working for his father on the home ranch. In 1909, Mr.
Campbell purchased twenty acres of citrus orchard adjoining the ranch of his father,
and which was a part of the original tract owned by his grandfather, Robert Campbell.
Here he has a fine orange orchard, which he keeps up to the highest state of cultiva-
tion. Some time ago he erected a modern ten-room residence, old Colonial style,
on his ranch and it is considered one of the finest and most beautiful homes in the
locality and on which Mr. Campbell spared no expense.

To insure his orange grove l>eing maintained in the very best condition, free from
disease and capable of producing its maximum yield Mr. Campbell employs an expert
in tree husbandry to give the Wees the benefit of his care. In addition to his horticul-
tural interests. Mr. Campbell is engaged in growing barley and beans. At El Toro, where
with his partner, E. B. Trickey, he is leasing and operating about 1,000 acres of the
Whiting ranch, he has been fortunate in obtaining large yields and successful returns.
Besides himself, two men are kept l)usy on his ranch and for work stock he uses six
head of mules.

In December, 1919, Mr. Campbell was married to Miss Dora Truscott of Sacra-
mento. Two daughters have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Campbell, Mavis L. and
Helen M. Always ready to help in any movement for the advancement of the com-
munity, Mr. Campljell is a firm believer in cooperation, and is a member of the Santiago
Orange Growers Association. In fraternal circles Mr. Camp1)ell is active in the circles
of the Masonic order, being a member of the Orange Grove Lodge, F. & A. M., at
Orange. Despite his busy life and many interests he takes an active interest in politics
and is a decided protectionist and Repulilican.



1650 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

HENRY D. MEYER.— Like many others of his native land, to Henry D.
Meyer, a prosperous citizen and former rancher of Santa Ana, .America beckoned
as the land of opportunity, as his immigration here at the age of fifteen testifies.
Born in Hanover, Germany. August 26, 1866, he was the son of Henry and Mary
(Luering) Meyer. The mother died when Henry was a lad of but eleven years, the
father later in life coming to the United States, passing away in Mason County, 111.,
in 1892, at the age of seventy-two years.

Henry D. Meyer received an excellent education in the schools of his native
land up to the time when he was fifteen j'ears old, when he left his home for the long
journey to America, Taking passage on the SS. Oder, he landed at New York
March 25, 1881, and proceeded to Mason County, III. There he secured work on
a farm, and was there employed at small wages in those days, for about five years,
getting in two months of schooling in the winter time, and poring over his books
whenever the opportunity afforded in order to secure an English education.

Feeling that better opportunities still awaited him on the Pacific Coast, Mr.
Meyer came to California in 1887, arriving at Los Angeles on August 4, of that year
He soon went down to Wilmington and got his start in the dairy business at San
Pedro and Redondo Beach, continuing in this line until 1892. Iii 1897 he located at
Fairview, where he engaged in dry farming, meantime acquiring considerable land
in the vicinity. Associated with him in his ranching enterprise are his two sons,
Irving B. and Victor C, and his son-in-law, Louis- Butterfield. The ranch is devoted
principally to beans, sugar beets and grain, the crop yield of the former being very
heavy. The raising of cattle and hogs is also an important feature of the ranch.
In 1908 he purchased a fruit ranch of 250 acres at Hemet which is devoted to apri-
cots and peaches.

In 1914 Mr. Meyer removed to Santa .■^na and built the commodious Meyer
Apartments at Third and Spurgeon streets. This is the finest building of its kind
in Santa Ana, being a three-story and basement structure of reinforced concrete,
modern in every particular and serving the purpose both of a commercial hotel and
on apartment house. He makes his home at 1712 North Main Street, Santa Ana.

Mr. Meyer's marriage in 1889 united him with Miss Mary Kohlnieier, the
daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C. C. Kohlmeier of Los Angeles, the ceremony being
solemnized at Redondo Beach. Four children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Meyer:
Irving B., a sketch of whom is given elsewhere in this historical work; Edna L., the
wife of Louis Butterfield: \'ictor C, all associated with our subject, and Florine A.
Fraternally a Mason, Mr. Aleyer is a Knight Templar and Shriner. as well as an
Elk. A man of industry and foresight. Mr. Meyer has always been very energetic,
giving the closest attention to every undertaking in which he is interested. Well-
deserved success has crowned his efforts and he now stands in the front ranks of
Santa Ana's prosperous citizens, who have succeeded by dint of their own well
directed efforts.

OTTO MILLER.— The owner of the Miller Garage at 112-14 West Common-
wealth -\venue, FuUerton, Otto Miller was born at Utica, Winnebago County, Wis.,
March 9, 1870. His grandfather, Christopher Miller, was an early settler in Utica,
where he bought Government land and broke the prairie with o.x teams, converting the
virgin soil into a fertile farm. It was on this farm that our subject's father, John
F. Miller grew to manhood, having come there in his early teens, and he, in turn,
purchased land and improved a farm. His marriage to Julia Hinz followed this step,
which would naturally lead to the establishing of a home. Miss Hinz had also
come to Utica with her parents, who were also pioneers of that district, and resided
there until their death. Our subject is the third eldest of the seven children who
blessed this union and are still living, but he is the only one on the Pacific Coast.
A brother, Paul, who was graduated from the University of Wisconsin, is now
Commissioner of Education for the United States in Porto Rico.

."^s a boy. Otto worked on the home farm and attended the public school. .'Kt
the age of twenty-three he started in the butcher business in Ripon, and later enlarged
his business, adding a line of groceries and building up a large trade. It was there
that he was married to Emma Leitz, and two children were born to them, Erwin E.
and Sarah. While successfully conducting his business, he also operated a farm
which he owned, but after twenty-six years he sold out and decided to locate in
California, Fullerton being the town of his choice. It w^as there he purchased the
large business building at 112-14 West Commonwealth in .\ugust, 1919, and opened
business September 26, his son Erwin E. being associated with him in the garage
business. Being a splendid mechanic, Erwin, after completing his schooling in his
native city, Ripon, where he was born in 1894, took a course in steam and gas
engineering at the L'niversity of Wisconsin at Madison. He learned the garage and



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1651

auto repairing business in Ripon and also worked in the factory of the Four-Wheel-
Drive Auto Truck Company at Clintonville, Wis. After he came to Orange County
ir. August, 1918, he worked' in the garage of Albert Sitton in Fullerton, as well as
other garages in the Valley. When his father purchased the garage property, he
joined him in the business and is devoting his time to the mechanical end of it.
The Miller Garage is well equipped and their show room and offices have been newly
refitted and improved, making it one of the best-appointed garages in Fullerton.
Besides doing all kinds of repair work on automobiles, they buy and sell used cars,
do welding and carry a full line of Miller Tires in which they specialize, and they
have a successful and growing business.

Erwin E. Miller's marriage to Miss Ruth Baker took place in Wisconsin and
they came to California via the Lincoln Highway in his automobile. Appreciative
of the great opportunities afiforded men in Orange, who are willing to work, Otto
Miller foresees a steady growth and wonderful future for this section of California.
Though a strong Republican, he is too broad minded to let party politics stand in
the way of any move for the betterment of the locality in which lie makes his home.

C. FOREST TALMAGE. — Among Orange County's youngest ranchers is C.
Forest Talmage, who is making a decided success for himself as a citrus rancher at
his place of ten acres on East Collins Street, east of Tustin Street. Orange. Mr. Tal-
mage's native state was Iowa and he was born there January 23, 1900, at Monroe.
His parents were Charles F. and Nanna (Rinemuth) Talmage, natives, respectively, of
Ohio and Iowa. The father came from Ohio when a young man and settled at Monroe,
and he was well known in that locality as a prosperous farmer and stock raiser, shipping
to the Chicago markets from his extensive farm of 348 acres.

In the fall of 1913, Charles F. Talmage brought his family to California, arriving
at Orange and soon after purchasing a ranch there. In lovva. C. Forest Talmage
attended the schools of Monroe, until his twelfth year, and after the removal of
the family to Orange County, he spent one year in the grammar school and three
years in the high school at Orange. For the next two years he worked for his father
on his ranch and in 1918 purchased from him a tract of ten acres on East Collins
.\venue, in the Villa Park district. Here he has developed a splendid orange grove
through his scientilic luanagement and steady hard work, and it is one of the best
producers in the vicinity.

On November 28, 1917, Mr. Talmage was united in marriage with Miss Marjorie
Haynes. the ceremony being solemnized at Beaver. Utah. She is the daughter of D. -A.
Haynes of Long Beach and was a classmate of her husband at the Orange high school.
They are the parents of a little daughter. Melba Lucile. Mr. and Mrs. Talmage make
their home in their attractive residence which had been built and furnished all ready for
their occupancy before their marriage. They attend the Methodist Church at Orange,
and Mr. Talmage is a member of the Villa Park Orchards Association and of the Santa
Ana Valley Irrigation Company. While young in years, Mr. Talmage has already taken
an assured place in the afl'airs of the community, through his efficiency and depend-
ability and he has the prospect of a most successful future before him^

EMANUEL C. H. FRANZEN.— A prosperous citrus grower, who is naturally
rather proud of what he has accomplished, through hard work and careful study, is
Emanuel C. H. Franzen, who was born in Little Bendigo, Victoria. Australia, in the
vicinity of Ballarat, on July 29. 1866— in the midst of the winter in that antipodes.
His father, Henry Franzen, was a blacksmith and a native of Schleswi.g-Holstein;
and he had married Tina Kryhl of Denmark. This worthy couple moved to Australia
in 1857. and they were getting nicely settled there when Emanuel was born.

On account of the illness of his grandmother, it was deemed best to return to
the vicinity of a good hospital so that the necessary operation might be performed;
hence, the family returned to Germany in 1868 and Kiel, but all in vain, for she
passed aw-ay soon after the surgical effort was made to save her life. The Franzens
then lived near Flensburg for five years, when they migrated to .\merica and to
Illinois. They arrived in Sycamore. Dekalb County, in 1873. and there for a year
Henry F'ranzen followed blacksmithing until 1883. When he sold out, it was to come
fiirther west, to California.

At Orange, he purchased ten acres on Walnut Street, one and a half miles
northeast of Orange, land owned at present by William Grecht; and Emanuel both
v.orked at farming and began to learn the carpenter's trade, having attended gram-
mar and private schools at Sycamore. The lad began to breathe the milder air of
the Golden State when he was sixteen years old. and by 1893 he was able to purchase
seven acres on South Tustin .Avenue, a part of his present place. Later, he pur-
chased eight acres from the Gathmann ranch adjoining his place on the north, the



1652 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

whole making a fine block of fifteen choice acres. He has two acres devoted to
Alediterranean sweets and thirteen acres to Valencia oranges, and the land is under
the water service of the Santa Ana Valley Irrigation Company, in which cooperative
concern Mr. Franzen owns fifteen shares; and all the improvements, including his
splendid residence, garage, barn and pumping plant, have been accomplished through
c:ur subject's own efforts.

On August 3, 1893, Mr. Franzen was married to Miss Mary Gathmann, a sister
of John Gathmann, and a native of Fond du Lac, Wis., and the daughter of John
and Gesche Gathmann, old settlers in that state. She came to Orange with her
parents in 1882, and her father purchased property to the north of and next to Mr.
Franzen's. Her education began in Wisconsin, and was finished at Orange. Mr.
Franzen belongs to the First Presbyterian Church of Orange, and takes an active
part in the many valuable movements there; also participating actively in the war
drives. Six children — five of whom are still living — blessed the happy union of Mr.
and Mrs. Franzen. George H. is living on the old Slater ranch on North Tustin
Avenue. Edward J. is at home with his parents. Emm;a J. also enjoys the life of
her parents' home; she is a graduate and a post-graduate of the local high school,
rnd is employed by the Guarantee Title Abstract Company in Santa Ana. Delia M.
is taking a general course at the junior college in Santa Ana, and Mabel D. is at the
Orange high school. Lois died on May 27, 1918.

Mr. Franzen stands for principle every time in politics, and his family share his
rugged honesty. Two of his sons sacrificed something in the late war for the sake
of the same worth-while ideal. George H. served in the aviation department, having
enlisted in March, 1918. He served at North Island and at March Field, and had
the care, as a mechanic, of the planes. After being honorably discharged, in the
spring of 1919, he returned to civilian life. Edward J. enlisted in the Navy; went to
the training school at Gulfport, Miss., in June, 1918, and served as landsman and
machinist's mate. .\nd he was busy there until he was retired as a reservist on
January 16, 1919.

HUGH J. HEANEY. — An industrious, enterprising and successful native son of
whom California may well be proud is Hugh J. Heaney, head of the Los Angeles Divi-
sion of Railroad Telegraphers. He was born at Los Angeles on July 25, 1893, the son
of John \\'. and Mary (McDonald) Heaney. His father came west with his parents
from St. Louis and was graduated from the Los Angeles high school; and later, as a
mechanical engineer, he has served several firms for years in Los Angeles, and acted as
road engineer for the fire department. He has also been active in various movements
in the City of the Angels for the improvement of the community. Mrs. Heaney came
to Los Angeles from Nova Scotia, in company with. a brother and a sister; and she
was married soon after settling here.

Hugh Heaney finished the usual courses in the grammar school and then studied
for a year at the Los Angeles Poh'technic; but the progress of his studies was inter-
rupted when his folks moved to Elsinore. When seventeen years of age, he became
absorbed with telegraphy, and at Elsinore he served an apprenticeship of eighteen
months under Oscar Ray. the station agent and telegrapher. Then he went on the
road for the Santa Fe Railroad Company, as extra relief agent and telegrapher, and
served in the Los Angeles division, which now extends from Barstow to San Diego.

On June 17, 1917, Mr. Heaney came to Santa x\na, and took up the duties of an
operator in the Santa Fe office. He has also served as telegrapher at various stations
on the road, including Elsinore, Mentone — both of these resorts — Placentia and National
City, and also at Redlands. Inasmuch as the telegraph played an important role
during the war, in the movement of troops, Mr. Heaney, as well as all other operators,
was placed under control of the Government. In 1918, also, he became a member of
the Order of Railroad Telegraphers, Los Angeles Division, of which he has been made
local chairman. He also belongs to Lodge No. 583 of the Elks at Redlands, and to the
Knights of Columbus; and in national politics he is a Republican.

On July 3. 1916, Mr. Heaney was married to Miss Grace Callaghan, a daughter 'of
Mr. and Mrs. B. Callaghan, fruit growers of Redlands, whose ranch at present comprises
some twenty-five acres. Her parents were pioneers in Redlands. and in that city she
was born on September 16, 1898. Two children have blessed this union: Mary Eliza-
beth was born on October 18, 1917; and Grace Loretta on February 11, 1919. Mr.
Heaney has two sisters living. The elder is Mrs. H. C. Taber of Los Angeles, the wife
of a well-known member of the Los Angeles fire department; the younger is the, wife
of J. E. Fenton, an instructor in mechanics in the Southern Pacific Railroad shop. Mrs.
Heaney has two brothers and a sister. Bernard J. is a sophomore at Berkeley; John J.,
a salesman, is proud of his military record; and Mary E. is a student at the Girls'
College at San Francisco.



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1653

MACK HENRY MORRISON.— A man who has had a share in various building
enterprises in and around Santa Ana, and has thereby helped to construct one of the
most beautiful of Southern California cities, is Mack Henry Morrison, who was born a



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 187 of 191)