Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 189 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 189 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Jerome brothers; Estelle is Mrs. Don Rudd of Santa Monica.

When Benjamin W. Jerome was in his second year his parents moved to Olive.
Orange County, and later to Tustin, and here he has ever since made his home, attend-
ing the public schools and growing up in close touch with every phase of ranch life.
On reaching young manhood he and his brother, William C, started farming on thi-
Whiting ranch, raising wheat and barley for a number of years. They worked hard
and made a splendid success of their undertaking, which enabled them to branch out
more extensively from year to year. The problems involving the nature, condition
and needs of the soil, and properly supplying that which is lacking in order to realize
the highest state of productiveness, are matters to which they give close attention,
and by the scientific application of the most approved methods of culture they have
demonstrated what can be accomplished by intelligent and systematic work.



1658 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

In additidii to the 320-acre ranch north of Irvine on which Mr. Jerome makes
his home, the brothers operate 800 acres of the Whiting ranch and the tract of 200
acres south of Irvine whicli their sister, M. Louise, holds under lease. They also are
the owners of 200 acres, all under cultivation, 160 acres lying in the Imperial Valley
and forty acres near Tustin. Formerly they devoted the greater part of their holdings
to hay and grain, but of late years they have specialized in lima beans, and in this
they are most successful, producing up to twenty sacks an acre on some of their land.
Mr. Jerome's marriage, which occurred at Santa Ana on October 8, 1902, united
him with Miss Effie Smithwick. who was born at Kernville, Kern County. She is the
daughter of Edward Smithwick. a native of Texas, who crossed the plains in the early
days. He engaged in stock raising in Tulare County, later going to Kern County,
where he met and married Rebecca Reid, also a native of Texas, who had been brought
across the i)lains by lier parents when but a babe. The Smithwicks came to Santa
.\na about forty years ago and Mr. Smithwick engaged in the livery business there
and also occupied the office of justice of the peace; he still makes his home there.
Mrs. Jerome was graduated from the Santa Ana high school and for four years was
herself a teacher. Mr. and Mrs. Jerome are the parents of one son, Benjamin E.

Mr. Jerome is prominent in the California Lima Bean Growers Association and
in fraternal circles is a member of the Elks. Odd Fellows and Modern Woodmen,
being affiliated with the Santa Ana lodges of these organizations. In his political
sympathies he is a firm believer in the principles of the Republican party. Active,
progressive and successful, the Jerome lirothers are among the most energetic workers
in Orange County, ami they bring to bear upon all their dealings those principles of
honesty and integrity that are ever the real basis of success.

ARTHUR C. PICKERING.— .\n optimistically inclined, self-made rancher, who
is not ashamed to acknowledge that he commenced ranching in 1910 with an encum-
brance of $4000 on his si.x acres, is .\rthur C. Pickering, who may also modestly boast
that today he owes no one a dollar, and now controls eleven well-developed acres, all
set out successfully to citrus fruit. This remarkable prosperity, reached as a matter
of fact in 1918. Mr. Pickering attril)utes largely to his capable, loyal wife, who has
shared with him his uiihill climbs and now enters in with him to enjoy the fruits of
long, hard lalior. clear foresight and bold, if wisely conser\ ativc, investment.

Mr. Pickering \\a^ liorn in Wellington. Sumner County. Kans., on Feljruarj' 15.
1884, the son of Loring A. and Elnora (Cummins) Pickering, both natives of Indiana,
who pioneered to Kansas in the early seventies and there broke up the virgin soil.
They had to face the most adverse and discouraging conditions, and to undergo many
real hardships; but they accomplished something for the new state, and when Arthur
was five years old thej' moved back to Indiana. There the lad attended tire district
schools of Henry County, and he also worked for his father on the home farm.

When he was twenty-one Mr. Pickering proved up on some homestead land in
Oklahoma, in which he had become interested. His parents had long wished to move
westward, but they did not venture to do so until tluir home had been destroyed by
fire,' in 1906. when they went to Galveston, Tex., then came to Whittier. Cal.. where
they now live. Arthur C. joined his parents in Texas, working on the docks and for
the General Shipping Board, and he continued to work in the Lone Star State for
three months. In 1907 Arthur followed to the fast-growing Quaker town, and there,
working for his father, he became an enterprising rancher.

In 1910 L. -V. and .Vrthur Pickering bought seventeen acres of open barley field
in the Yorba Linda tract — six acres of which were sold — and at present the entire
tract is held b}- our subject, who is a memlier and shareholder in the Yorba Linda
Citrus Association, a member of both the Yorba Linda Water Company, a charter
member of the Yorba Linda Chamber of Commerce, and the holder of stock certificate
No. 1 in the Foothills Growers Association, having been instrumental in bringing to
his district the branch house.

On May 9. 1907, Mr. Pickering was married to Miss Cecil K. Fadely. a schoolmate
of his boyhood days, and four children blessed their happy home. The eldest was
Chauncey, and then came the t\vins, Carolyn and Elnore, who are attending the Yorba
Linda grammar school, and Elizabeth. The family reside in Yorba Linda on Park
Place. Such was the promising family of this estimable couple; but Chauncey, who
first saw the light of day on April 15, 1909. at Whittier. and grew up in Yorba Linda.
a favorite with all who knew his sunny disposition, his thoughtful demeanor and his
manly conduct, closed his eyes to the scenes of this world on June 2. 1920. the services
being conducted by Rev. Ray Carter, pastor of the Friends Church, of which the boy
was a member. He had just finished his fifth grade work and had been naturally
delighted with his success; so much so that one cannot doubt that he was eager to
enter upon that higher development awaiting every earnest soul in the unknown world.



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1650

RICHARD W. COLE.— With the dogaed determination of the British race to
carry on, as shown so clearly in the late war, Richard W. Cole has won his way to
success over all obstacles, and with no help save that of his own energy and will power
lias reached an assured position in life, where he can look back and say that his work
was good. Born at Chidlemolt, Devonshire, England, October 16, 1846, when five
years of age he was brought to America by his parents, and the family finally settled
in Ontario, Canada. At the early age of twelve years he was obliged to start to work,
and was employed on farms, making his own way. In 1878 he came out to Coos Bay.
Ore., and engaged in contract lumbering in the Coos Bay district for three years. lie
then came to California, first locating in Sonoma County, and worked on the ranch
of ex-Sherifif Adams. Later he worked in the redwood lumber camps near Guernevillc,
that county. The year 1881 found him in San Diego County, and there he pre-empted
a homestead of 160 acres near Escondido, and eighty acres of government land, proving
up on his holdings and farmed them for twenty years, only to lose all he had made
during the dry year in that district through lack of water for his land.

Coming to Orange County in 1902, nothing daunted by Dame Fortune turning
her back on him, Mr. Cole started in anew and worked on oil wells for the L'nion Oil
Conipany for nine years. During this time he bought six and one-ninth acres of raw
land of the Tufifree ranch, planted this himself to Valencia oranges, and in 1917 sold
the property for $20,000. He then bought his present ranch of ten and one-half acres
of \'alencia oranges, ten-year-old trees now in full bearing, and in 1919 he produced
4013 field boxes from the property. He is a member of ihe Placentia Mutual Orange
.\ssociation, and a man highly esteemed by his neighbors for his sterlifig qualities and
l)usincss ability.

The marriage of Mr. Cole, which occurred in Canada, united him with Margaret
Eraser, a native of Ontario, Canada, and five children have been born to them: Ger-
trude, wUe of A. Addington of Arizona, and the mother of two children; Bertha I..
Mrs. Bessonette of Olinda, the mother of three children; Mabel, wife of Erank Sum-
mers, with the Union Oil Company, and the mother of three children; Albert, an oil
man of the McKittrick district; Myrtle, wife of Ed Cline, oil man, and the mother of
two children. .A. sad blow fell on the family December 11, 1920. when his beloved
wife passed away, mourned by her family and many friends.

HERVEY D. NICHOLS.— A progressive citrus rancher, who has attained suc-
cess both for himself and for others in his executive work as manager and secretary
of the Villa Park Orchards Association, is Hervey D. Nichols. He was born at Enos-
burg, Eranklin County, \'t., December 26, 1887, the son of George H. Nichols, a \'er-
monter, who married Miss Hattie Leach, also a native of that state, and became a
farmer. He owned 360 acres devoted to a dairying enterprise, and had sixty head of
milch cows and forty young stock. Four children were born to this worthy couple,
and of these Hervey is the youngest. An older brother, George L.. is the owner and
manager of the old homestead which has been in the possession of the family since
the historical year of 1812.

Hervey attended the Brigham Academy at Bakersfield, \'t., and then went to the
University of Vermont, where he pursued an engineer's course. Having finished Iiis
studies, he liecame a representative for the Pugh Brothers Automol)iIe Company of
Providence, and for five years attained the most gratifying success in that field. .-V
trip to Porto Rico led to his remaining there for a couple of years, but in 1913 he
returned to the States.

On October 8. 1913. Mr. Nichols came west with his mother, who has spent four
winters in California, and stopped a while in Los .\ngeles, later engaging in the citrus
industry in Pomona; and in this field he has continued to progress. On August 11.
1915. he returned to Vermont to marry Miss Eunice Story, a native of that state, who
had l)een a classmate with him at Brigham .\cademy. Two children have blessed this
union — Lawrence E.. l)orn August 4. 1918. and Winston P., born February 20, 1920.
Mr. Nichols is a member of the \'illa Park Community Church, where he is president
of the board of church trustees: he is also a school trustee, and in national politics is
a Republican.

The Villa Park Orchards Association, whose six years' existence and the last
two years of successful operation is largely due to the ex])erience and fidelity of Mr.
Nichols, has 150 members and packs and distributes fruit coming from some 1250 acres.
It is a non-prolit-sharing, non-capital stock association, and the growers are interested
to the amount of fifty dollars per acre, which is taken out of the proceeds at the rate
of five cents per packed box. The grower owns that much interest in the establish-
ment, which is not transferable except through the sale of the acreage. Six years ago
Mr. Nichols was house foreman for the association, and he has been a couple of years



1660 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

in his present combined office of manager and secretary. Prior to coming lierc, for
three years he was at La Verne and served as foreman of the Orange and Lemon
Growers Association there, thus adding greatly to his experience.

The Villa Park Orchards Association now employs as many as 100 men and
women during the season, and so busy is it that its offices are never closed. It fur-
nishes transportation to all employees who require it, to and from Orange. It shipped
434 cars of oranges during the season of 1919. Throughout the plant the equipment
is thoroughly modern, and as the fruit raised in this section is among the choicest
to be found in all of California, it is not surprising that the brands — "Alphabetical,"
fancy, and "Bird Rocks," extra choice — are among those most eagerly sought by
Easterners who know a good orange when they taste one. Three trucks are used to
handle the fruit.

Mr. Nichols is a director in the Lotspeich Water Association, and one-quarter of
a mile east of Villa Park he owns twelve acres of rich farm land, eleven acres of
which are set out to \'alencias and one acre to lemons. This property he purchased
from Alfred Leech, a well-known orange grower. It is irrigated through the Lotspeich
Water Association.

At college Mr. Nichols belonged to the Delta Sigma fraternity, and now he is a
Mason, affiliated with Orange Grove Lodge at Orange. A worker in church and social
organizations, Mr. Nichols and his good wife enjoy a wide popularity.

JULIAN R. CRUIZ. — A young man of sterling worth, who is making good as a
valued employee of the Standard Oil Company, one of the organizations best known
in all the United States for taking care of those who have first shown themselves
cat)able of faithful, disinterested service, is Julian R. Cruiz, rancher and teamster. He
was born at Yorba, in the Yorba precinct, on January 28, 1888, the son of P. and Jesus
Ramirez Cruiz, both of whom were natives of Sonora, Mexico. He attended the
grammar school at Yorba, and from childhood was properly brought up under the
supervision of the Catholic Church.

When old enough to do so, he began working out on ranches by the day, and
then by the year, and in 1918 commenced to work for the Standard Oil Company. He
is still with that concern, and is employed on the Kraemer leases. Being single, he is
able to assist his parents, who live on a rented ranch of a couple of acres, and he
furnishes the support of his maternal grandfather. A half-brother of Mr. Cruiz, George
Manzo, works for the Federal Oil Company on the Stern lease; a sister, Mary, is the
wife of Prudencio E. Yorba, the rancher of the Yorba precinct; and a half-sister.
Claudina Asebedo, is the wife of Eugene Navarro, and lives at San Gabriel.

Mr. Cruiz takes a keen interest in all that goes on in the political as well as the
business world, and is ever ready to do what he can to better the conditions of the
locality in which he lives. He is a Republican in matters of national politics, but
believes that when it comes to supporting or rejecting local propositions, it is better
to have a free hand, untrammeled by party requirements. In various ways, therefore,
although young and in modest means, Mr. Cruiz is able to do his full duty as a citizen.

LLOYD E. SHOOK. — The owner of one of the finest small citrus ranches in
Orange County, Lloyd E. Shook has been one of Yorba Linda's most enthusiastic
citizens since settling here in 1911. A native of Iowa, Mr. Shook was born June 25,
1891, in Buena Vista County, that state, his parents being Hiram M. and Candace
(Spencer) Shook, both of whom are still living at the home place in Iowa, but have
made five trips to California. Lloyd E. Shook was one of a family of five children and
was reared at the parental home in the Hawkeye State, where he received his education
in the public schools. When his school days were over he worked for his father on
their large grain and stock farm, continuing there until his father retired in 1909. For
the ne.xt two years he was associated with others of the family in farming, after which
he came to California. He came to Yorba Linda, where he purchased the citrus ranch
of six and a half acres on Buena Vista Street that has since been his home. It is a
splendid property, bringing in an excellent income, and it shows the painstaking care
bestowed upon it by its owner.

On February 10, 1917, Mr. Shook was married to Miss Thelma Lois Pike, the
daughter of Loren D. Pike of Yorba Linda, and they are now the parents of two
children, Allen and Dorothy. A firm believer in cooperation in all community mat-
ters. Mr. Shook is a member of the Yorba Linda Citrus Association and of the Yorba
I,inda Water Company, and he is ever ready to lend a hand in any undertaking that
will be of benefit to the neighborhood. His land is now under lease to an oil com-
pany. Should this locality produce oil in commercial quantities it will increase the
value of his holdings immeasurably. In politics Mr. Shook is a firm believer in the
principles of the Republican party.



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1661

H. DELEMERE THURBER.— Among- the younger representatives of the legal
profession in Orange County. H. Delemere Thurlier holds a prominent place. He was
l)orn in Bourbon. Crawford County, Mo., March 19, 1893, the son of Delos P. Thurber.
a physician and surgeon who died in St. Louis before the removal of the family to
California. He had married Miss Nancy Chilton, a native of Missouri, whose parents
were William and Liddia Louisa (Allen) Chilton. Dr. Thurber and his wife had eight
children, H. D. being the sixth child.

When he was a lad of five years H. D. Thurber was brought to California, and
here he was reared and educated. He attended the grammar schools in San Diego,
later the Polytechnic at Los Angeles, and he was graduated from Bell's Business
College in the same city. His desire was to become a lawyer and he studsied law at
the University of Southern California and was graduated with the class of '15. Soon
afterwards he came to Orange County, choosing Fullerton as his place of residence,
and here he has built up a good clientele. In politics he is a Republican on all national
issues, but in his enthusiastic devotion to Fullerton and Orange County he knows no
party lines that might prevent him from advocating the best men and the best measures
at all times.

In June, 1914. Mr. Thurber was united in mariage at Fullerton to Miss Lottie P.
Ellis, daughter of Lee C. and Elizabeth Ellis. She was born in Pueblo, Colo., and
was living in Fullerton at the time of her marriage. Two children have come to bless
their home; one son bears the honored name of his father, and the second child is
Robert Leland Thurber. •

During the World War Mr. Thurber showed his patriotism and enlisted in the
aviation section of the S. E. R. C. as a ground officer and served until honorably dis-
charged. He then re-enlisted in the quartermaster corps, but on account of the armis-
tice was not called into service. During the war and when not away in service he
served in the California Military Reserve. He is a member of Fullerton Post, No. 142,
American Legion; is a member of Anaheim Lodge, No. 1345, B. P. O. Elks; has been
an active member of the Fullerton Board of Trade since 1915. and served one year as
a director. Mr. Thurber is a member of the alumni of the University of Southern
California College of Law. Since 1917 he has served as secretary of Loma Vista
Cemetery and Continental Mausoleum. In 1919 he entered into partnership with B. F.
Pinson to engage in the real estate and investment business in Fullerton.

LOREN D. PIKE. — A conservative, successful rancher and one of the most enter-
prising citizens of Yorba Linda, Loren D. Pike is highly esteemed throughout Orange
County by all who know and deal with him in his private capacity or as president of
the Yorba Linda Citrus Association. He was born at Willoughby. Ohio, February 17,
1869, the son of J. D. Pike, a farmer of Willoughby, who had married Miss Mabel
Lorinda Gray, also a native of the Buckeye State, and he is now the second eldest of
the four surviving children. He attended the ordinary common school of his district,
and later pursued two years of the high school course; in the meantime commencing
early on his father's farm, and continuing there, in share work with his father, until
he was twenty-eight years old.

When he married, June 11, 1896, he took for his life companion Miss Lucy Brott.
a school teacher and the daughter of Lewis and Amanda (Hoege) Brott, of Mayfield,
Ohio. She received her education in the public schools of her native district. Her
paternal ancestors were Ohio pioneers, while on her mother's side her ancestors helped
to clear the way for civilization in Michigan. Through this domestic relation Mr. Pike
became interested with Mr. Brott in the lumber business, both in the woods and in
the retail business, and they worked together in that field in Ohio for seven years.
They dealt in both wood and coal, and established an enviable reputation for honest,
prompt and reliable service.

In the fall of 1912 Mr. Pike came to California and to Fullerton. and later he
removed to Yorba Linda. He purchased nine acres of citrus grove on the Yorba Linda
Boulevard, and in 1914 moved his family to this district. Si.x children have blessed
this worthy couple, and six worthier children could scarcely be found. Thelma is the
wife of Lloyd E. Shook, and the mother of two children, Allen and Dorothy. Helen
is Mrs. Homer Beniis and has one child, Lucie Jane. Bernice married Hugh Nixon,
and is the mother of a child, Loren. Emmctt Loren, Ruth Josephine and Marjorie E.
are at home. Mr. Pike belongs to the Friends Church, and serves as the clerk of
the tnonthly meeting. He is also a member of the Yorba Linda Chamber of Com-
merce and of the Yorba Linda Water Company, and has served as the president of
the Yorba Linda Citrus .Association three years, and as a director in the same since
1914. He is also a director in the North Orange County District Exchange, represent-
ing five liranch houses. In national politics he is a Republican.



1662 IIHp:ORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

HAROLD R. TAYLOR. — An efficient mechanical engineer tlioroughly under-
standing his business, and attractive to all who know and deal with him on account
of his genial and S3'mpathetic personality, is Harold R. Taylor, who has charge of all
the great pumps for irrigating the celebrated 1000-acre walnut and citrus ranch belong-
ing to the San Joaquin Fruit Company, originally a part of the great Irvine or San
Joaquin ranch. He was born in Terre Haute, Vigo County, Ind., on February 11, 1883,
the son of John M. and America (Johnson) Taylor, both of whom are living on a
farm in Clark County, 111.; from which county Mr. Taylor, the only representative of
the family on the Pacific Coast, came out to California in 1912. He grew up on his
father's farm of 160 acres in Clark County, and attended the public schools at Dennison
an"d Patton, in Illinois. While in Indiana, at the age of twenty-one, he had the terrible
misfortune to lose his right arm, which got caught in a corn-shredding machine he was
running. From a boy he displayed natural ability as a machinist and was early set to
work running machinery on the farm — threshers, corn shredders, engines. In 1912 he
came to California and located at Tustin, where he accepted a position as above stated.

Four hundred acres of lemons and oranges, and 600 acres of walnuts make up
the area to be irrigated for the San Joaquin Fruit Company by the seven giant pumps
run under Mr. Taylor's supervision, from which one may gather his degree of respon-
sibility; for the quality of the fruit company's products rates among the highest sent
to market from any part of California. Mr. Taylor is interested as a partner in the
firm of Taylor and Sears in the growing of lima beans, and assists in the operation
of 400 acres two miles north of Irvine Station, on which both partners reside. Of this,
350 acres are planted to beans, principally limas, the balance being reserved for the
making of barley hay. The firm own and run a bean thresher, and engage in threshing
on the Irvine ranch.

Since coming to California, Mr. Taylor was married to a lady from Clark County,
111., Miss Bertha Sears, a native of that county, who has quite fulfilled her duties as a
most encouraging helpmate. She is the daughter of Lincoln and Mary Sears, born in
Clark County, 111., now residing on the Irvine ranch. Husband and wife belong to
the Advent Christian Church at Tustin, and are interested in all that upbuilds their
neighborhood and county. Mr. Taylor is a member of the Knights of Pythias.

MRS. ROSIE J. NORTH.— A woman who has aided materially in building up
and improving Orange County, is Mrs. Rosie J. North, who was born in St. Louis, Mo.,
a daughter of Anton and Anna (Duba) North, who were early settlers of St. Louis,
where her father was a merchant tailor and both have now passed away.

Mrs. North was the next to the youngest of their seven children, and the only



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 189 of 191)