Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 190 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 190 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


one who resides in California, growing up in the city of St. Louis and having the
advantages of her excellent schools. Her marriage occurred in 1889, when she was
united with Chas. E. North, who was born near St. Louis, where his parents were
farmers. After his marriage they engaged in farming near St. Louis until March, 1908.
when the family migrated to California, locating at Anaheim. They purchased ten
acres of raw land on North Street, two and a half miles east of Anaheim. This he
leveled and improved, establishing a nursery business; he continued this for six years
and also set his place to Valencia and Navel oranges. Later he bought five acres
adjoining and ten acres a mile west, which he also improved to oranges, now full-
l)earing groves.

However, he was not permitted to enjoy the fruits of his labors for he passed
away January 1, 1918, and since then his widow has sold ten acres and continues to
care for the place in the most approved manner. In the care of the fifteen-acre ranch,
she is assisted by her children and they use the latest machinery, including a Case
tractor. Believing in cooperation, she is an enthusiastic member of the Anaheim Mutual
Orange Distributors Association.

The union of Mr. and Mrs. North was blessed with five children: Lawrence C,
who is ably assisting his mother with the care of the orange groves; Nellie, a graduate
of Anaheim high school and Woodbury's Business College at Los Angeles, resides in
that city; Ursula is a graduate of Anaheim Union high school; Irvine is attending
Loyola Cnllge in Los Angeles; while Irene is attending the local school. With her
children, Mrs. North is a member of St. Boniface Church in Anaheim.

Having long had a desire to make a visit to her old home in Missouri, Mrs. North
satisfied her longing in 1920, twelve years after she had located in California and made
a trip back to St. Louis, visiting her home and friends and relatives in that section,
spending a period of four months amid the old familiar scenes, returning to California
well satisfied with her trip but more pleased than ever with the state of her adoption—
the land of sunshine and flowers.



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUXTY 1663

JOHN W. HARGRAVE.— In the history of this or any other country no section
has developed more rapidly or more wonderfully in recent years than Southern Cali-
fornia, and the men of affairs in the various smaller towns have been largely instru-
mental in forwarding this growth. Prominent among the business men of Vorba Linda
is John W. Hargrave, cashier of the First National Bank of Yorba Linda. Mr. Har-
grave was born near Cadiz. Harrison County, Ohio, August 19, 1865, and attended the
public schools of his native county until thirteen years of age. His father, Robert
Fleming Hargrave, was born in Virginia and came out to Ohio, where he married
Ruannah Thomas, and they were farmers in Harrison County until his death in 1878.
Mrs. Hargrave was born near Cadiz, Ohio, the daughter of Peter Thomas, born in
1782 in Virginia, who was a pioneer of Harrison County, Ohio, where he hewed a
farm from the heavy timber.

In the spring of 1879, with his mother, John W. Hargrave removed to West
Branch, Cedar County, Iowa, and completed his education in the public schools at that
place, afterward locating at Brookings, Dakota Territory, where he was clerk in a
drug store for two years, then in a general store for three years. In May. 1892, he
began his banking career in Ipswich, S. D., as assistant cashier in the Bank of Ipswich.
He was founder of the Farmers and Merchants Bank of Hankinson, N. D., and became
cashier of that institution September 1, 1899, continuing in that capacity until November,
1912. when he resigned to locate in California. On December 1, 1912, he became cashier
of the State Bank of San Pedro, holding the position until January, 1915. when he
resigned and engaged in the real estate business until he organized and promoted the
First National Bank of Yorba Linda, which opened its doors for- business October 1,
1916. This bank, which has been a large factor in the growth of Yorba Linda, and has
built up a fine business, owns the fine modern building which it alone occupies. Its
officers and directors are: Dr. Lester Keller of Yorba Linda, president; Chas. H.
Hamburg, of Whittier, vice-president; and J. W. Hargrave, cashier.

Mr. Hargrave has been twice married. His first wife was Miss Nettie Mower
of Brookings, S. D., who was accidentally killed in a runaway at Clear Lake. She bore
him two children: George M., who is a teacher of manual training at Covina high
school; and Edgar ].. a student at Occidental College. For his second wife, he married
his brother's widow, Mrs. Delia (Miles) Hargrave, born in Oskaloosa, Iowa. She had
two children by her first marriage: Arthur C., a graduate of the University of North
Dakota, is superintendent of the industrial department of Chaffee high school; and a
daughter, Mrs. Merl Sheets of Lemon, S. D. Fraternally, Mr. Hargrave was made a
Mason in October, 1919, in Yorba Linda Lodge No. 469. :^ & A. M., of which he is
treasurer. He is also a member of the Modern Woodman of America and of the
Ancient Order of United Workmen. He is a member of the Yorba Linda Chamber of
Commerce and of the Yorba Linda Farm Center, and during the recent World War
was chairman of all Liberty Loan drives held in Yorba Linda.

HERBERT D. COON. — Prominent among the contractors, designers and build-
ers who have forged their way to prosperity and success, is Herbert D. Coon, a man
well known in his line of business at Fullerton, Cal. Mr. Coon was born in Santa
Cruz, Cal., December 23, 1887, and comes of an early pioneer family. His father,
Herbert William Coon, born in Ohio, came to California in about 1870, when he
married Julia Stewart. He was a lumberman in Santa Cruz and they now make their
home in Pasadena; of their six children Herbert D. Coon is the youngest. He received
the foundation of his education in the schools of Santa Cruz, completed it in high
school in North Chicago, 111., and served his apprenticeship with the well-known
( )akland contractor, Frank Irvine. For two years he was engaged in the building of
the Terra Cotta plant at Tracy, Cal.. and for the next two years was employed in
construction work for the Stone Canyon Coal Company in Monterey County. In 1910
he located at Pasadena, and engaged in the construction of high-class residences in
the Orange Grove Avenue and Oak Knoll sections, the finest residence sections of
the city. His next venture was in the Yellowstone National Park, where he worked
for the Great Northern Railroad in construction work on hotels, etc., for two years.
He then returned to Pasadena and did construction work on fine houses for many of
the leading real estate firms. He afterward located' at Fullerton and built bungalows
for one year, then doing his bit for the war, worked in the shipyards at San Pedro
for two years.

In April, 1919, he located again at Fullerton, where he intends to make his home,
and where he continues the vocation of contractor and builder. Among some of the
fine residences he has erected may be mentioned the Wm. Knepp, F. P. Woods and
the Willis Maple homes. He has just completed a beautiful apartment house, of his
own design, consisting of four apartments of four rooms each in the Ramona tract.



1664 HISTORY OF ORAXCxE COUNTY

at a cost of $13,000. The exterior of the building is of plaster, carrying out the Fuller-
ton Improvement Designs, which are found in the new public buildings at FuUerton.
His building operations are not alone confined to Orange County, but he is also
building in Long Beach, where he erected the George Treher apartments.

As a designer and for abilitj^ to execute any class of work he undertakes he is
preeminent, and in all his work strives for and attains styles that are commensurate
with the high-class of patronage he caters to. His marriage, in Santa Ana, November
25, 1908, united him with Miss Sylvia Hanes, a native of Darke County, Ohio, a daughter
of Henry and Margaret (Puterbaugh) Hanes. descended of old Quaker stock who
came to Pasadena in 1905.

EARL LAMB. — A promising young man well known and justly popular is Earl
Lamb, the youngest son and child of the late W. D. Lamb and his esteemed wife Eliza-
beth, both pioneers and highly respected old settlers in the west part of Orange County
where they prospered, and where Mrs. Lamb still lives and is one of the largest land-
owners. He was born upon his father's ranch at New Hope, Orange County, on August
2, 1892, and while he attended the Fountain Valley grammar school, was brought up
to share in his father's undertakings as landowner and ditch builder, stock raiser,
dairyman, grain and sugar beet grower, so that he mastered a good deal of knowledge
not usually acquired by boy or youth. Later, he supplemented his common school
studies by a stiflf commercial course in the Orange County Business College at Santa
Ana, from which he naturally profited a deal.

Earl Laml) has control of 144 acres of excellent river-bottom lands near Talbert,
near the Santa Ana River, in what was formerly spoken of as the Gospel Swamp, but
is now known as Fountain Valley; and there for four years, or until about 1915, lie
grew sugar beets. For the past four years or more he has cleaned up a neat sum in
raising lima beans. Beginning with 1920, Mr. Lamb has planned to rent out his acre-
age to three different tenants, who purpose growing beets and beans, while he will con-
tinue to reside on the .place with his family.

In 1912, Mr. Lamb was married to Miss Etta Bradley, a daughter of George
Bradley, of Huntington Beach, who was formerly a rancher near Talbert. He still
owns a valuable ranch there, but is chiefly engaged in the warehouse of the Lima
Bean Growers x\ssociation at Greenville, in Orange County. Mrs. Lamb is a talented
and charming helpmate, and the parents are proud of three bright and interesting-
children, Rachel, Willie and Alvin. The Lamb household is noted for its hospitality,
maintaining a pleasant California tradition of which any family might well be proud.

RICHARD FRAZER.— The building and contracting business of Santa Ana is
indeed fortunate to have added to its already splendid list of artistic designers
and dependable luiilders the name of Richard Frazer, the large and successful building
operator of Kansas City, who recently located in Santa Ana. For many years he was
actively engaged in building fine residences in the metropolis of Missouri, and while
there built over 300 houses for Roy Russell, now a resident of Santa Ana and a member
•of the well-known realty firm of Shaw and Russell.

Richard Frazer was born on a farm in Ray County. Mo., December 9, 1872. He
received his early education at the rural school of his district and followed farming
until lie was twenty-eight years of age. In 1900 Mr. Frazer located in Kansas City,
Mo., where he learned the carpenter's trade, and in time formed a partnership with
W. M. McCoy, one of the leading contractors of the city. They made a specialty of
constructing fine residences and continued the partnership five years. Mr. Frazer after-
wards engaging in the business alone.

On October 2, 1919. Mr. Frazer moved to Sant^ Ana and was so deeply im-
pressed with the enterprising spirit of the city and its possibilities that he at once
became a stanch booster for Santa .\na and sincerely lielieves that in the rapidity
of its .growth it is the coming city of Southern California, He made a practical demon-
stration of his faith by investing at once in real estate, purchasing the corner of Van
Ness and West Sixth, 125 by 150 feet. He has erected one house, and contemplates
building four more on this property. He also purchased a lot 40 liy 300 feet at 2012
North Broadway, where he will erect a fine residence for himself. Although a resident
of Santa Ana liut six months, he has constructed twenty-five houses. Such a record
augurs well for the future business success of this enterprising designer and builder of
high .grade houses and bungalows.

In Ray County, Mo.. Mr. Frazer was united in marriage with Miss Frances Miller
of Nebraska and they are the parents of two children: Dorothy, now the wife of R.
J. Jones: and Charles, who is a student in the Santa Ana schools. Fraternally Mr.
Frazer is a member of the Red Men and of the Mystic Workers.



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 1665

NEWTON E. WRAY.— A rancher, who is well pleased with his realty investments
and with whom, as a capable and faithful public official, the public is quite as well
satisfied, is Newton E- Wray, a native of California, where he was born at Placcrville.
El Dorado County, on March 6, 1874. Placerville used to be known as Hangtown, on
account of the vengeance meted out to culprits there by citizens who finally took the
law into their own hands. Executions were for a while frequent and swift and it is
even said that one man, commencing his downward path rather early in the morning,
was hanged before breakfast.

George W. and Ethel (Vanderburg) Wray were the parents of our subject and
were natives of Crawfordsvillc, Ind., and Iowa, respectively, and they came across
the unexplored continent with an ox-team train in the gold rush period of 1850 in
separate trains, and it was here they met and were married at Placerville and where
George Wray engaged in mining for some years; he was prominent in the social welfare
of PlacervUle and with other pioneers was a member of the vigilance committee.

Twenty-six years later they moved to Tulare County and there, five miles east
of Tulare, they purchased a ranch of 640 acres. This was devoted for the most part to
stock, although much grain was also grown there. There Newton lived with his parents
and attended school in the district east of Tulare. When eighteen years of age he left
home and worked out for five or six- years and the day before Christmas, 1898, when he
was twenty-four years old. he was married in Tulare to Miss Isabel Nicholson,
daughter of James and Sarah (De Rosia) Nicholson, who had come to California from
Iowa in 1887. Mrs. Wray received her education in the public schools of Tulare. In
1901 Mr. Wray bought sixty acres in Tulare County and there engaged in the raising
of stock and alfalfa. This fine Tulare property he retained until 1913, when he sold it.

In the fall of 1910 he came to Orange County and for a couple of years rented
a home in Santa Ana, when he purchased the property at 611 South Main Street, lived
there for a year and then sold it. In 1913 he purchased his present ranch of twelve
and a half acres on the Broadway extension, and while operating his place was also
in the employ of C. C. Collins Company as a fruit buyer, and thus has become well
acquainted with the fruit growers all over Orange County. Two acres of his ranch
are set out to oranges and the rest is planted to walnuts. He also owns twenty acres
on South McClay Street devoted to general farming and he also has two cottages at
Balboa Beach. He was active in the loan drives during the late war and always works
for the best men and the best measures, irrespective of party ties.

Mr. and Mrs. Wray have one son, Clayton Elmer Wray. who is at present in
the U. S. Naval Service, being second-class pharmacist mate in the hospital department
on the Island of Guam. Mr. Wray holds an appointment under Sheriff Jackson as. a
Deputy. He is a member of Santa Ana Lodge No. 241, F. & A. M., and also of Santa
Ana Chapter, R. A. M., and Santa Ana Council, R. S. M., and with his wife is a
member of Hermosa Chapter, Order Eastern Star. He is also a member of Santa
.\na Lodge. I. O. O. F.. of which he is past grand and with Mrs. Wray belongs to the
Santa Ana Rebekahs.

JOHN B. HICKEY.— A prosperous rancher who has followed the citrus industry
for twenty-eight years, having been four years longer in the Golden State, and who
has thereby acquired a valuable experience which he has at all times placed at the
disposal of his fellow-ranchers, thus contributing to the advancement of California
agriculture, is John B. Hickey, the proprietor of the Hickey ranch of seventeen and
a half acres, three miles southeast of Orange and five miles northeast of Santa Ana.
ft was a vineyard when he came into possession of it. and now he has twelve and
a half acres devoted to lemons, and i\\e to oranges, and his trees are from six to
fifteen years old. For twelve years Mr. Hickey has been raising lemons, so that it
is fair to assume that he, if anyone, knows a good deal of the problems and prospects
of lemon culture.

He was born at Millerville, Clay County, Ala., on October 18, 1866. the son of
Richard C. and Jane (Weathers) Hickey, who were married in that state. His father
was a planter, and for four years he gave his best service to the cause of the Con-
federacy. attainin,g the rank of a sergeant. They had eleven children, nine of whom
are now living, six in California: and our subject was the fifth in the order of birth.
With limited schooling obtained during years when he had to assist in the raising
of cotton and corn on a plantation of 400 acres, John Hickey grew to be seventeen years
old, and then he left for Hot Springs, Ark., where he spent the winter. After that, he
went to the Indian Territory for a couple of years, and then he put in a year in Texas.
.\fter a visit to his old home, he migrated to California in 1888, the stirring period of
the boom, and settled at Santa .\na.

In Orange, on February 4. 1895. Mr. Hickey took for his wife Mrs. Nannie
(Harris) Sitton. the daughter of .\ndrew Simpson Harris; she was born in San Ber-



1666 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

nardino. Cal.. and had attended school at El Monte, where her father was a farmer.
When she was eight years old, she took a trip to Texas with her parents and returned
the next year. At Orange she was married to B. Martin Sitton, Jr., who was born in
Illinois; after their marriage they engaged in farming near Downey and later near
Orange until his death. December, 1893. They had three children: Zorah D. Sitton
became the wife of Dr. Joseph F. Teeter of Los Angeles; Albert H. Sitton is a machin-
ist, who married Miss Rose Rogers, handles the Overland and the Willys-Knight auto-
mobiles, and resides at Fullerton; while Rachel Annie died when she was three years
old. Two brothers of Mrs. Hickey are J. Wiley and W. Frank Harris, real estate
dealers with headquarters at Santa Ana.

Andrew Simpson Harris possessed a character, and had an experience by no
means commonplace. He was born on October 22, 1816, in North Carolina, but early
removed with his parents across the mountains into East Tennessee, then the "frontier."
abounding with Indians and game, so that he became an adept with both the ax and
the rifle. While yet in his youth, he removed to Western Missouri, and in Cass County
helped to blaze the way for civilization.

The pioneer spirit, however, once more asserted itself, and a move w-as made to
Denton County. Texas, in 1845. At the end of three years, he returned to his home for
a visit, and was married, in 1848, to Miss Lou Ann Majors, daughter of David Majors
and a native of Madison County, Ky., where she was born on September 3, 1829. The
young couple returned to Texas; but Mr. Harris' failing health made it necessary.
in a few years, for him to leave that state. In 1857, therefore, when he had to be
carried on a bed and three small children must also be provided for, the weary, ox-team
journey to California was undertaken in company with friends. Six long months were
consumed in the tiresome and dangerous trip, when they made their first long stop at
San Bernardino; but about one year later, they located at El Monte, residing at that
place until 1867. Believing that he had regained his health, he braved the journey to
Texas again, this time by horse teams, but a second time undermining his constitution,
he sacrificed much to join another emigrant train, and once more trailed across the desert
El Monte was reached in 1868, and six years later, 1874, he removed to the place near
Orange where his remaining years were spent. After enjoying fairly good health for
years, he suddenly sustained a stroke of paralysis, which was followed by typhoid
fever; and on September 28, 1893, when nearly seventy-seven years old, he passed to
his eternal reward. In all the years of his experience as a Christian, Andrew Simpson
Harris never wavered from a straightforward life of trust in his Savior and devotion
to His cause, and he not only helped to organize the first Baptist Church in that part
(5f Texas in w-hich he resided, serving as its clerk, but he also took part in the formation
of tlie Los Angeles Baptist Association. He was also a member of the Orange Baptist
Church since its formation in 1886, and was one of its deacons for a number of years.
Mrs. Harris, while still in her Cass County home, became a member of the Baptist
Church; and thus for more than seventy years she lived an exemplary life. For twenty-
five years, she was a widow, and w-hen acute feebleness overtook her, she spent the
last two years of her life with her son in Orange. Her demise was peaceful and without
illness. Seeing a changed look quietly creeping over her face, her daughter-in-law said:
"Mother, I think the end is near — would you not like to go home, to Heaven now?"
And she answered, "Yes, I would like to go now;" after which, the gentle spirit calmly
departed. Mrs. Harris was survived by her sons, Eli J. Wiley and Frank Harris, and
her daughters, Mrs. Nannie Hickey and Mrs. Mary Beard. She left also twenty-one
grandchildren, twenty-four great-grandchildren, and even one great-great-grandson.
George H. Clem. Jr. Mr. and Mrs. Hickey are active, devoted members of the Baptist
Church at Orange, where Mr. Hickey is chairman of the board of trustees and a deacon
of that organization.

JOHN P. HARMS. — .\ splendid type of the progressive, loyal German-American
is afforded by John P. Harms, who was born in North Hanover, Germany, on October
23, J8SS, the son of John L. and Elsie Harms. His father was a farmer, who also did
shoemaking; and so the lad, who was given the best of grammar school advantages,
worked out on a farm in summer time, after his ninth year. When fifteen years of age,
he crossed the ocean to America and proceeded direct to Missouri; and at Higginsville
began his first nine years of farm laboring in .America. Now, through hard work, he
has become prosperous, a man devoted to his family and proud of the service his sons
rendered in the late war.

Removing to Clifton, Washington County, Kans., he there worked out on a farm
for a year, after which he purchased eighty acres of land, on which he raised corn, hogs
and cattle. Near Clifton, too. at Palmer Church, he married Rosina Botjer, on Novem-
ber 9, 1882, a native of Concordia, Mo., and the daughter of Dietrich and Rebecca



HISTORY OF ORAXGE COUNTY 1667

BotJL-r, well-to-do fanners and laiulovvncrs. When Rosina was fourteen years old, her
parents removed to Clifton," Kans., and there they acquired good farm property. The
young lady attended the parochial school at Concordia, Kans., and after their marriage,
Mr. and Mrs. "Harms farmed their eighty acres for the next fourteen years. During
the same period, Mr. Harms also bought an additional farm of two hundred acres two
miles to the north. In 1894, he sold these Kansas farms and having decided to come
to California made direct for his present home site. For a while, he merely rented
three acres of this farm, and then he purchased nine acres; two years later he added
five more, making fourteen in all. The land was then planted to grapes; but as these
gradually died ofif, orange trees were set out, and now Mr. Harms has eleven acres
of \alencias, one acre of Navels, and two acres of lemons. He built a fine dwelling
and the outbuildings himself, and all the improvements on the place are due to his
own efforts.

Ten children have come to be numbered in the promising family of this worthy
pioneer couple; Arthur D. Harms married Matilda Rodieck, and is at present living
in .\twood, Cal.; John H. married Nettie E. Pogue and engaged in the drug trade at
Orange; Edward John is a truck driver at Oxnard; Frederick J. C. has a position in the
Imperial Valley; Emil A. married Rosa Schnipp and is living on a ranch on Handy
Street, Orange; Clara Anna married Otto Ohlde and lives in Snohomish, Wash; George
W. is bookkeeper on the Irvine ranch; Ernest A., living at home, cares for his father's
farm; Anna M. is bookkeeper in her brother's drug store; and August William, who



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 190 of 191)