Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 191 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 191 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


also lives at home, is a student at the Orange high school. The family are members
of the German Lutheran Church.

Frederick J. C. Harms, the fourth child in the order of birth, volunteered as a
mechanic, in July. 1918, for service in the World War, and was enlisted at the Jefferson
high school building in Los Angeles. He was sent to Camp McArthur at San Pedro,
and there he served his country until he was discharged. He was on a list to go to
France when the influenza epidemic placed him under quarantine; and he was honorably
discharged in April, 1919.

WALLER SINCLAIR HEAD. — .\mong the most progressive young ranchers of
the Anaheim district must be rated "Clair" Head, as he is known to all his acquaint-
ances, the owner of two well-kept and fruitful farms, one of thirty acres, on which
he lives, devoted to walnuts and oranges, and the other of ten acres, which he reserves
for sugar beets. Besides operating these in the most scientific manner, he leases sixty-
five acres and there produces lima beans and chili peppers. He purchased the site of
his home ranch only in 1913. when he set out his orange trees, the walnuts having
been planted some fifteen years previous; so that much of his admirable results have
been evolved in a comparatively short time. Indeed, his success thus far would seem
to distinguish Mr. Head as a man much in advance of his age in agricultural lines.

Mr. Head was born at Garden Grove, July 5, 1883, the son of Dr. Henry W. and
Maria E. Head, a sketch of their lives appearing elsewhere in this history. He attended
Garden Grove grammar school and the Santa Ana high school, and then took up
farming as his vocation, and this he has followed ever since.

In 1910, on June 14, Mr. Head was united in marriage with Miss Gladys Coates,
w^ho was born in Iowa but was reared in California. She attended the Santa Ana high
school and later graduated from the Orange high school. She was a school teacher
before her marriage. Mr.- and Mrs. Head are the parents of one daughter, Percie
Clair, who attends the Katella school. Loyally interested in all the community's
affairs, Mr. Head has served for three years as clerk of the Katella school district.

JULIAN A. PRESCOTT.— Among the worthy and prosperous ranchers of Tus-
tin, Julian A. Prescott is numbered. He is the owner of a ranch of twenty-seven and
one-half acres, planted to oranges, upon which he erected a beautiful and artistic
bungalow in 1912, the year he purchased the property from J. H. Martin. His thrift,
enterprise and progressiveness are indicated in the care bestowed upon his ranch, and
he holds an assured position among the leading residents of his community.

Of New England ancestry, he was born in Lime Springs, Iowa, in 1875. and is
the son of .Augustus D. and Sarah (Butterfield) Prescott. natives of Phillips. Maine;
they moved to Iowa, then to Arkansas City. Kans. Julian had the advantage of a
grammar and high school education in Arkansas City and the additional advantage of
association with his father in business. The father, A. D. Prescott, an active business
man and real estate manipulator, followed this business a number of years with pro-
nounced success, passing away in 1911. Mrs. Sarah Butterfield Prescott traces her
ancestry back to Revolutionary days and was a member of the Daughters of the Amer-
ican Revolution. She spent her last years with her son, Julian A., in California and
died June 29. 1920. Our subject was the only child of this union and was for some



1668 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

years associated with his father in business and naturally acquired a valuable experience.
He is well abreast of the time, has a keen eye for business, is well versed in current
topics and events, and is a man who will make a place for himself in the financial and
agricultural world.

In 1912 he came to Los Angeles, Cal. After spending the winter in looking over
California for a location he selected Orange County and purchased twelve acres to
which he has since added until he now has twenty-seven and a half acres to which he
has given his time and best efforts to bring it to its present high standard. It is beau-
tifully located on the Newport Road and Seventeenth Street, four and a half miles east
of Santa Ana and is devoted principally to the culture of \alencia oranges. Believing
in cooperation he is naturally a member of the Tustin Hill Citrus Association.

STONE WALKER TODD.— How much of the efficiency of Orange County's
superior gas service is due to the experience and strict attention to business represented
in Stone Walker Todd's superintendency, only those who know the man, and have
followed his career and daily work since he took charge, will be able to state. He was
born at Richmond, Ky., on January 13, 1885, the son of Huston B. Todd, a business man
in that vicinity, who has since died, but is recalled as a successful man of aflairs. He
married Miss Mary Rucker, a native of Kentucky, who now resides in Knoxville, Tenn..
and by her he had six children.

"rhe fourth in the order of birth. Stone Walker attended the grammar school and
later engaged in mercantile work, which he followed for six years, adding to his
experience with the world and human nature, and preparing for the next important step,
he moved to the Pacific Coast. He arrived in Santa Ana., Cal., on February 1, 1911,
and entered the service of the gas department of the Southern California Edison Com-
pany. On April 1. 1911, the Southern California Edison Company sold their gas prop-
erties in Orange County to the Southern Counties Gas Company. Mr. Todd remained
in the services of the Southern Counties Gas Company at Santa Ana until Tune. 1911,
when he was transferred to .\naheim to take charge of the work for the gas company
at that place. In October, 1911, he was made district agent of the northern half of
the county for the Southern Counties Gas Company and remained in this position until
October 1, 1915, when the two districts were united and he was made district super-
intendent of Orange County, and was moved to Santa Ana, where he remained until
December 1, 1919. He then resigned to take a position as general superintendent of
the Industrial Fuel Supply Company.

The general offices of the new company are located in the First National Bank
Building at Anaheim, Cal., and their purpose is to purchase gas in the Montebello.
Brea Canyon, Placentia and Huntington Beach fields from the oil companies and
wholesale the same. The Industrial Fuel Supply Company has erected two large com-
pressor plants, one at the Placentia fields and one at the Montebello fields. In 1916
Mr. Todd purchased four acres of orange land on \\'est Chapman ,\venue, where he
makes his home.

THOMAS S. WESTON.— This is an age of specialists and the man who centralizes
his efforts on some one particular branch of his trade or profession is more sure of
winning a success in his chosen line. That this is true in the building and contracting
business is illustrated in the career of Thomas S. Weston, of Santa Ana. He was born
March 23, 1875, at Saginaw, Mich., and remained there with his parents until he was
ten years of age, when his father moved to northern Idaho. John Weston was a mill
man and contractor, and with others purchased a saw mill which he set up at Coeur
d'Alene, Idaho, in 1887, it being one of the first large mills in the state.

Thomas S. Weston finished his education in the public school at Coeur d'Alene,
after which he followed railroading with the Northern Pacific Railroad Company for
five years; the last year of service with the company he was employed as an engineer.
After leaving the raihvay service, he followed the trade of a carpenter and contractor
with his father and in 1902 located in Boise. Idaho, where he began specializing on
designing and installing store fronts and interior work, continuing along this line ever
since. He has become so proficient in this special branch of carpentry as to be regarded
as an expert. While living in Boise he was appointed building inspector by Mayor
Pence, serving during his term of office.

In 1913, Mr. W'eston moved to Los Angeles, where he became foreman for A. J.
Crawford, a contractor who specialized in store work. While in the employ of Mr.
Crawford he put in the store front and interior for Young's Market on Broadway, the
Coliseum Bar and the Chocolate Shop on Broadway. In 1915 Mr. W^eston located in
Santa Ana, where he engaged in building and contracting. Special examples of his
artistic designing and superior workmanship are seen in the following store fronts at



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUxNTY 1669

Santa Ana: Seidel's Market, Smart Shop, Peterson's Shoe Store, Mrs. Enlow's Millinery
Store and Miles' Shoe Shop. He also built the Lawrence Block at Santa Ana for
A. J. Crawford. At Balboa Mr. Weston installed a refrigerator window for Henry
Seidel. These cold storage windows are another feature of which he has made a
specialty. At Compton he erected a $20,000 business block for W. J. Zeiss and at Bolsa
he designed and built for O. H. Merritt one of the first up-to-date, sanitary dairy
barns in the county. It cost $5,000, has a cement floor and is forty-eight by fifty feet
in size, with a capacity for accommodating forty cows.

In 1903, Mr. Weston was united in marriage with Nettie Alartin, a native of Boise,
Idaho, and they are the parents of two children, a daughter, Esther, and son, Darrell.
P'raternally Mr. Weston is a member of Santa Ana Lodge No. 794, B. P. O. Elks.

JOHN W. UTTER, M.D.— A descendant of pioneers of California on both sides
of the family, Dr. John W. Utter has much to be proud of in his ancestry, and as a
loyal native son of the state he is carrying on to the best of his ability the work
started by those grand old men and women who made possible the present-day era
of prosperity and peace in the far west. Born September 29, 1872, in Willetts, Men-
docino County, he is a son of Isaac Utter, who fought in the Mexican war and came
to California in 1847. For a time he was located in the Anaheim district of Los Angeles
County, in 1877, and he later returned to Mendocino County where he engaged in the
cattle business. His wife, the mother of John W., crossed the continent to this state
on the first steam train, and a grandmother of John W. crossed the plains with ox teams
in pioneer days.

With such a background for his start in life, the young lad could hardly help but
make a success of his own endeavors, and his education was started in the public
schools of Willetts, later graduating from the Ukiah high school, and for eight years
thereafter he taught school in Mendocino County. In 1901 he left his native town
and came south to Los Angeles, where he taught school for four years. At the end
of this period he entered the University of California, at Berkeley, and graduated from
the medical department in 1910. with his degree of M.D.

On leaving the university Dr. Utter came direct to Anaheim, and started the prac-
tice of his profession, since which date he has continued in practice here, a well-known
figure in the life of the community, prominent equally as a physician and as a man
with the best interests of his district at heart, loyal to his state and to the city where
he first started to practice his profession.

The marriage of Dr. Utter, which occurred on May 22, 1900, united him with
Stella Moore, like himself, a native Californian, born in Sacramento, and three children
have blessed their union: Marjorie. John W.. Jr., and Marion. Active in the fraternal
life of the community. Dr. Utter is a member of the Elks, the Knights of Pythias,
and of the Anaheim Lodge of Masons. Professionally, he is a member of the American
Medical Association and the state and county organizations.






Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 191 of 191)