Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 30 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 30 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Richard T. Harris, the first sheriff and tax collector, and the third treasurer of Orange
County. He was born in Richmond, Va., on February 15, 1859, the son of John
and Grace Harris, now deceased, who were both natives of Cornwall, England, where
they were also married. They located, on first coming to America, in Richmond, \'a.,
but, attracted by the exciting news of the discovery of gold in California, came out to
California in 1860 and located in Grass Valley, Nevada County. For a while Mr.
Harris followed mining there, and then he came to Healdsburg, Sonoma County,
and from there to Santa Clara County. In the Centennial year of 1876, Mr. Harris
settled in the Garden Grove district, which was then in Los Angeles County, and
there followed farming.

On reaching young manhood. Richard T. Harris entered the mercantile field,
conducting a general merchandise store at Westminster. When Orange County
was formed, he was one of those distinguished by his foresight and his helpful par-
ticipation in the hard work of the project, and naturally he was elected — by a majority
of 1.700— the first sheriff and tax collector. Later he was elected county treasurer.
In each of these offices he served a term and became one of the best-known men
in the county. He was also interested in ranching and devoted considerable of his
time to growing walnuts, oranges and celery. Politically he was a stanch Republican.

On July 3, 1888, at Westminster, Mr. Harris was married to Miss Maria S.
Larter, a native of Ontario. Canada, the family home being only six miles from
Niagara Falls. She was the daughter of Robert and Mary J. (Hansler) Larter, born
in Norwich, England, and Canada, respectively. Mrs. Harris accompanied her par-
ents to Westminster in 1876, her father being one of the pioneer farmers there, and
this was his home until his death. His widow survives, making her home at West-
minster. Mr. and Mrs. Harris were the parents of one daughter, Geraldine May,
who passed away at the age of nine years. Mrs. Harris is a cultured and refined
woman, well-read and well-traveled, and this, coupled with a retentive memory,
makes her a very interesting conversationalist. She is also endowed with much
liusiness acumen, which stands her in good stead in the management of the large
affairs left her by her husband, a stewardship of which she is giving a good account.

Mr. Harris was a director in the Santa Ana Cooperative Sugar Company, and
took a live interest in the establishment of this plant which has done so much to build
up the county. He also served for a time as assistant postmaster at Westminster,
and also started the telephone company there. During the early history of the oil
industry in Southern California, he was one of the prime movers in the organization
of the Fidelity Oil Company, and operated in the Whittier field. His ventures were
successful and he retired from that line with a considerable fortune. On his demise,
on November 28, 1911. the local newspaper said of him: "A man of business aflfairs.
he was progressive, and had been active in the promotion of several enterprises that
have benefited this city and county. That he was highly esteemed and enjoyed the
confidence of the public is evidenced by the fact that he held county office at two
different times."

DANIEL KRAEMER. — Among the famous pathfinders bringing civilization and
progress to this promising corner of the Golden State, and the first white settler to
pitch a tent in the Placentia district in Orange County, and the first white family to
settle outside of the willow fence inclosing the .Anaheim settlement, Daniel Kraemcr,
who passed to his eternal reward in 1882. deserves the lasting recognition of a reveren-
tial posterity. Born at St. John, one of the most picturesquely-situated mountain re-
sorts in the Swabian .-Mps, Bavaria, not far from the renowned castle of Lichtenstein,
on November 17, 1816, he came to America at the age of twenty-six. and located near
Belleville, in St. Clair County, 111., where he took up farming. He also married there,
and in that prosperous section of the Middle West his nine children were born.

Two tedious trips were made between his Illinois home and Southern California
before he made this section his permanent home: for he first came West in 1865.
bought his land, and returned to Illinois. The following year he came here again,
but once more found it necessary to return East. On his third trip, in 1867, he brought
his family with him. To make the journey at that time meant to take the railway from
St. Louis to New York, thence by boat to the Isthmus of Panama, after that by steamer
to San Francisco, and next by boat to San Pedro, from which port the tourists took
wagons overland to the ranch.



230 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

When he first came here, in 1865, Mr. Kraemer purchased a portion of the
original Mexican grant known as the San Juan Cajon de Santa Ana Rancho, his par-
ticular part being designated the Peor Es Nada Rancho, named from a Mexican
village then near by, and meaning in Spanish, "Worse than nothing." Its English
name, however, was "The Cajon Ranch." This strip of land comprised 3,900 acres, and
its original boundaries were what is now Placentia Avenue on the west, the J. K.
Tuffree Ranch on the north, the Richfield territory on the east, and the Santa Ana
River on the south. Cattle and horses at first roamed freely there, but later the sheep
herds crowded them out, so that really the latter made way for the farmer and the
horticulturist.

This great ranch remained intact until the death of its owner in 1882, and since
that time most of its acreage has been sold, so that the once princely domain consti-
tutes a large portion of the present Placentia district. On his first trip here, Mr.
Kraemer found a ditch, the Ontiveros, which ran eastward from the house he bought
through what is now the district of Richfield, and then through Yorba, the intake being
close to the old Trinidad Yorba house; and returning from the East in 1867, he dis-
covered that the flow from this ditch, his only irrigation supply, was being seriously
interfered with. He then built a ditch of his own to the Santa Ana River, which
intersected the Ontiveros ditch, one and a half miles east of his home, and this
was the first individual canal to be built in this section. He was also one of the
projectors of the Cajon Canal, built in 1875, which carries water through all of the
Placentia district, through Fullerton and Orangethorpe. and much of Anaheim.

Mr. Kraemer showed his appreciation of popular education in helping to organize
the Cajon School district, in 1874, the first district in this section, and donated an
acre of ground for school purposes. Five years later, this district was renamed the
Placentia. He brought both the first mowing and the first sewing machine here, and
before he laid aside his earthly labors, on February 6, 1882, he had splendidly im-
proved between 400 and 500 acres of his vast estate.

When Daniel Kraemer married, he took for his wife Miss Magdalena E. Schrag,
a native of Battenberg, Germany, and of Swiss parentage; a most valuable helpmate,
who died on January 3, 1889. One of their daughters, Elizabeth, died on November
18, 1875. The other children are: Henry Kraemer of Placentia; Mrs. Barbara Parker
of Anaheim; D. J. Kraemer of Brownsville, Texas; Samuel Kraemer, also of Pla-
centia; Mrs. Emma M. Grimshaw of Anaheim; she has a daughter, M. Alice Grim-
shaw, a teacher in the Anaheim public schools; Edward M. Kraemer of Olive; Mrs.
Mary K. Miller of Anaheim, and Benjamin, living on the original Kraemer home place
at Placentia. A son of Mrs. Miller, Edward L. Miller, is a graduate from Occidental
College, and when the World War called for his services, he enlisted. He served
twenty-two months with the now historic One Hundred Seventeenth Engineer Corps,
was in six important drives, and six times went "over the top."

MRS. MARY ORILLA KELLOGG.— It seems eminently fitting that the names
of the early pioneers of California should be perpetuated in such a manner that their
labors, in the days of trials and hardships, may remain an inspiration and encourage-
ment to the toilers of today. Great honor is due the names of those courageous men
and women who braved the perils of the overland trail in their untiring efi^orts to
blaze a path and establish a civilization for the generations to come. In California
and Orange County, the names of Benjamin Franklin and Mary Orilla Kellogg stand
out prominently.

By those who knew him during his active life, Mr. Kellogg is recalled as a
man who contributed not a little to the permanent growth of the localities in which
he elected to reside. No one knew better than he the terrors of the overland
trail or more dearly won his right to be numbered among the most courageous of
the western pioneers. He was born in Morgan County, 111.. April 31, 1822, and was
the youngest of six children. A descendant of a prominent New England family,
his father, Elisha, was born in Massachusetts, and settled in Genesee County. N. Y..
where he was judge and sheriff. Upon removing to Morgan County. 111., he built
the first house in the county and did farming and stock raising on a large scale. Later
he moved to Jo Daviess County, and there he died in 1844. He married Elizabeth
Derrick, who was born in Connecticut, and died in Jo Daviess County, 111.

In his youth, B. F, Kellogg received but a limited education and was brought up
to farm labor of the severest kind. In 1844 himself and brother Erwin went to the
Rocky Mountains in search- of a silver mine, but, failing in their quest, secured a Gov-
ernment contract and built Fort Laramie. They met with many uncanny and danger-
ous adventures, which, however, did not diminish their enthusiasm for the West. Two
years later found them en route to the Pacific Coast as members of the Donner party,
but few of whom ever reached their destination. The brothers parted from the original



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 235

party at Donner Lake, and proceeded with others upon what proved to be a terrible
and hauntingly gruesome journey. At one time, while searching for the silver mine
near Fort Laramie, they were attacked by Pawnee Indians, stripped of their clothes
and robbed of all they had with them. So reduced were they that they had to eat
walnuts and raw frogs. The brothers were at one time separated from each other,
and during this time, B. F. Kellogg, in lieu of any kind of food, and on the verge
of starvation, scratched the hair from his buffalo coat and ate the hide. In time
he was found by his brother, who had gone in search of help, in an almost dying
condition, and was succored by some friendly Indians whom they chanced to meet.

Arriving in Napa Valley, Mr. Kellogg enlisted in General Fremont's army and
served six months, and was honorably discharged in April, 1847. He was also a
veteran of the Mexican War. He engaged in mining with varying success, then
turned his attention to farming in Napa X'alley, and later in the vicinity of St. Helena.
On September 5, 1864, at White Sulphur Springs, he married Mary Orilla Lillie,
who was born in Fulton County, 111., on July 15, 1832, a daughter of Luther and
Orilla (Morgan) Lillie, natives of Connecticut. Her paternal grandfather, David
Lillie, was also born in Connecticut, and settled first in New York, then in Ohio, and
later in Indiana. In 1831 he located in Fulton County, 111., of which he was a pioneer,
and where he died at the age of eighty-two years. He served as a soldier in the Revo-
lutionary War and the Black Hawk War. Luther Lillie was a farmer in New York,
Ohio and Illinois, and was also a millwright and machinist, and had shops in the dif-
ferent places in which he lived. He settled in Illinois in 1831 at a time when the
Indians were numerous and troublesome. He died in 1837 and his wife passed away
in 1833, the mother of fourteen children. One son, Leonard G., came to California
in 1850 and died in Napa Valley, and two daughters, Mrs. Rosana Evey and Mrs.
Emeline Butler, came West in 1854 and 1855, respectively.

Mrs. Kellogg was reared in Illinois and attended school in a little log school-
house with slab benches, and later in a frame building. When she was twenty months
of age her mother died, and when she was seven her father passed away, and she
went to live with a family named Breed. From the first she was obliged to work
hard between the rising and the setting of the sun, so that school was a luxury and
leisure an unheard-of commodity. In 1853 she undertook to accompany her brother,
Leonard G., his wife and their five children, and her sister, Mrs. Butler, to California.
The experiences while crossing the plains are vividly recalled by Mrs. Kellogg at
this day, and contained much of interest and adventure. The ox-teams were out-
fitted at Farmington, 111., and they crossed the Mississippi at Burlington on May 3,
1853. thence took the Platte route and the Green River route to Humboldt and the
Southern pass route to Sacramento and Napa Valley. In the Napa \'alley the brother
built and operated a grist mill, and here Mrs. Kellogg lived until her marriage in 1854.

On May 21, 1869, Mr. and Mrs. Kellogg brought their family of eight children
to Anaheim, in the vicinity of which Mr. Kellogg bought 640 acres of land from the
Stearns Rancho Company. This land was improved from the rough, built up with
residences and barns, and fitted with wells and fences, and rendered generally habit-
able. While these improvements were being made the family lived in a tent. There
were no houses between their place and Los Angeles, nor were there any towns to
the south of them. Disaster followed in the wake of all this industry, for the grass-
hoppers and wild horses played havoc with the crops for three succeeding years.
In time Mr. Kellogg became prosperous, and a prominent factor in the general growth
of this locality. He gave each of his sons a tract of forty acres of land which they
improved. Politically he was a Republican, and while in Napa County served as
coroner and as school trustee. In Orange County, then Los .Angeles County, he
donated three acres of land for a schoolhouse and was one of the trustees for many
years. The death of Mr. Kellogg, December 16, 1890, witnessed the passing of a
thoroughly good man, and one who knew the value of opportunity and how to use it.

After her husband's death, Mrs, Kellogg, with the aid of her sons, kept alive the
interests of the home, and she now retains but eighteen acres of the original home-
stead, and this is planted to walnuts and oranges. She has divided the portion of
land left to her equally among her daughters. She is a Republican in politics, and
in earlier years was a member of the W. R. C. and W. C. T. U., and is a member
of the Christian Church. In that calm and splendid way known only to the pioneer
women who have suffered much and endured patiently, she has reared to years of
usefulness nine children, to any one of whom their mother is the embodiment of all
that is true, gracious and approachable in women. H. Clay is a graduate of W'ilson
College and is a surveyor and civil engineer at Santa Ana: Mary E. became the wife
of Byron O. Clark and lives at Paradise. Butte County; Erwin F. is deceased: Louisa



236 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

J. is Mrs. L. A. Evans of Orange County; Leonard G. is in Guatemala; Edward L.
is ranching at Van Xuys; Lillie M. married William Dunlap and is deceased; Clara
E. became Mrs. Carl F. Raab and is deceased, and Carrie A. married Richard N.
Bird of Los Angeles.

A splendid type of pioneer woman. Mrs. Kellogg met the trials and hardships of
the early years with patience and fortitude, and now in her eighty-ninth year, still
retains a remarkable degree of vitality for one of her years, and is still greatly inter-
ested in the development of the county where she has lived for over half a century.
She has living thirty-three grandchildren and twenty-five great-grandchildren to call
her blessed.

DR. WILLIAM FREEMAN.— Among the distinguished representatives of the
medical profession in Orange County whose influence for scientific progress is still _felt
although, as the result of years of unremitting application to his work he has been
retired for nearly six years, is William Freeman, M. D., a native of Medina County,
Ohio, where he was born on January 6, 1841. He attended the public schools of his
home district, but when seventeen removed to DeKalb County, Ind., and continued his
studies in the Auburn Academy. Having been commissioned by the school authorities
to teach, he took charge of a school the ne.xt year; but in 1861, at the second call by
the Federal Government for soldiers he enlisted on September 5. and joined Company
H, Thirtieth Indiana \olunteer Infantry. He campaigned in Kentucky and Tennessee,
as a part of the Army of the Cumberland, and saw stirring action in more than one
important battle or engagement. These included the battle of Shiloh, Stone River, in
which he received a gunshot wound through the right hand, and the battle of Chica-
mauga, where he was permanently disabled by a shot through the body. He was laid
up for a while in a Chattanooga hospital, from which he was transferred to Murfrees-
boro, where he was compelled to stay for several months. At length he was taken home
by his father on a stretcher, and on his recovering to a degree, he was made sergeant
of sanitary police at Totten Field Hospital in Louisville. At the expiration of his term
of enlistment, he was returned to Indianapolis and honorably discharged. To such
men as Dr. Freeman, the Union owes its preservation today.

Before he enlisted, our subject had commenced the study of medicine, and on
once more regaining his civic freedom, he went back to Auburn, Ind., and again took
up the subject under Dr. A. H. Larimore. a noted practitioner. When he was ready for
a course of lectures, he went to the Cincinnati College of Medicine, and after the usual
severe tests, he joined the graduating class of '67. Then he opened an office at Vevay,
Ind., and later practiced at Madison, in the same state. Ambitious to still further
perfect himself, he pursued post-graduate work at Indianapolis, and once more resumed
practice, first at Vevay and then at Madison.

Still suffering from the wounds he had received in the service of his country,
and broken in health from overwork, Dr. Freeman left the Middle West in 1894 and
sought relief in less frigid California. For two years he rested at San Diego, and when
he had practically restored his health, he came to Orange County. He was attracted
to Fullerton in particular, and there for eighteen years he enjoyed a highly remunerative
practice. A man of foresight, anticipating the needs of the community. Dr. Free-
man was one of the early promoters of the Fullerton Hospital, which became also an
excellent training school for nurses. He invested in city property, and so showed his
confidence in the future of Fullerton. and built a cosy residence, at the same time that
he improved seven acres to oranges on Orangethorpe Avenue. Dr. Freeman removed
to near Anaheim and bought eleven and a half acres on Santa Ana Street, where he
set out oranges, there being some walnut trees on the place, and soon demonstrated
his ability to succeed as a rancher. He remained there eighteen months then returned
to Fullerton and bought twenty and a half acres adjoining his original seven; this
he also set to oranges and kept it until 1918 when he sold it. In Fullerton, where he
is a pioneer. Dr. Freeman had been health officer, administering his responsibility so
well that no contagious disease was ever allowed to spread during the four years he
served as first city health officer. He was one of the organizers of the Chamber of
Commerce. In Anaheim he lent his experience and counsel in the direction of im-
proved sanitation and greater assurance for public health. When in Indiana, he served
his fellow-citizens for a couple of terms in the state legislature, and was also one of the
directors of tlie Indiana State Reform School, and these experiences enabled him to
be the more serviceable when he assumed citizenship in California. He was also for
seven years on the Indiana Board of Pension Examiners.

By his first marriage. Dr. Freeman became the father of four children — A. W.
Freeman, an oil man of Oklahoma; T. A. Freeman, a produce dealer of Santa Barbara;
W. A. Freeman, manager of the Mission Produce Company, at Santa Maria; and




^<y^A t A^^^-tyC^^^^l^-



HISTORY OF ORAXGE COUNTY



Mrs. Fred Shaw of El Centro. At Whittier, he married his second wife, Miss Belle
McFadden, a native of Illinois, who was reared in Mercer County in that state. Both
Doctor and Mrs. Freeman are members of the Eastern Star, and the Doctor belongs
to Fullerton Lodge. No. 339, F. & A. M. He is also a member of Malvern Hill Post,
G. A. R.. and was chief mustering officer under Colonel Merrill, when he was depart-
ment commander. He is hale and hearty, and looks back with pleasure to the arduous
days in Indiana, when for twenty-five years he attended to his practice while riding
horseback, often on wide circuits. Dr. Freeman belongs to the Christian Church.

LEWIS FENNO MOULTON.— The steady increase in population and the tend-
ency toward intensive cultivation of the land have had much to do with the dividing
up of the great ranches of the early Spanish grants into small tracts. Noteworthy
among the few large tracts that still remain intact is the great Moulton ranch of 22,000
acres which lies southwest or El Tore. Lewis Fenno Moulton, its original proprietor
and owner, still directs its afifairs with the ability and energy that have always char-
acterized his undertakings.

Prominent in the early colonial affairs of New England, the Moulton family has
contributed many representatives who occupied important posts in the stirring political
and military affairs of that day. One of the bravest of these was Gen. Jeremiah Moul-
ton, who served with distinction in the Revolutionary War, and was one of the most
zealous of the colonies' defenders. Sharing in this patriotic spirit were other members
of the family. Samuel Farrar, who participated in the Battle of Concord, and Samuel
Fenno, whose name is associated with the events that led up to the Boston tea party.
In the second war with the Mother Country, Jotham Moulton, the son of Gen. Jere-
miah Moulton, displayed the same spirit as his forbears, taking an active part in the
conflict. Jotham Moulton, a physician by profession, married Lucy Farrar. and for
many years they made their home in Bucksport, Maine, .\mong their children was
J. Tilden Moulton, the father of Lewis F., who was born in Maine in 1808. After
graduating from Bowdoin College and Harvard Law School, and practicing his pro-
fession in Cherryfield, "Maine, for several years, he removed to Chicago, 111., where
for many years he occupied a place of distinction in its legal circles. In addition to
his large practice he served as a master in chancery of the L^nited States Court at
Chicago, and was as well known in its journalistic circles, being one of the first
editors of the Chicago Tribune. His high professional standing brought him into
contact with all the great men of that day and locality, and among the friendships he
prized most was that of Abraham Lincoln, who was one of his classmates in law-
college. During his residence in the East he had i)een united in marriage with Miss
Charlotte Harding Fenno, a native of Massachusetts, but who was reared and edu-
cated in Connecticut.

Mr. and Mrs. J. Tilden Moulton were the parents of two children: Irving F., for
many years vice-president and cashier of the Bank of California, but now retired, resid-
ing at San Francisco, and Lewis Fenno, the subject of this sketch. He was born at
Chicago on January 17, 1854, and spent the first years of his life in the parental home
there, one of his early and cherished memories being of Abraham Lincoln, who fre-
quently came to the Moulton home. Unlike his father, his inclination did not lie in the
way of training for a professional career, and as soon as he had completed the grammar
school course he set about to earn his own living, the father's death when Lewis was
but a young lad also making it expedient for him to learn to make his way in the
world. His first work was packing shingles on Chicago wharfs, and later, after the
death of the father, the family removed to Boston, Mass., and here he was employed
by a storekeeper to run errands, earning a dollar and a half per week. .At the age



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 30 of 191)