Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 37 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 37 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


his oranges through the Placentia Orange Growers Association. This year he also
picked some four and a half tons of the finest Japanese persimmons in the county
from young trees just coming into bearing. He exhibited them at the University of
California P'ruit Exhibition and received the second prize.

On March 23. 1904. Mr. des Granges was married to Miss Genevra Estabrooks,
the daughter of George Melvin and Eliza B. (Paige) Estabrooks, born in New Bruns-
wick and Maine, respectively. The father was an expert millwright in the construction
of water-power mills, and he removed to Stillwater, Minn., where he followed his trade;
both he and his wife passed away there. Of their three children, Mrs. des Granges



296 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

■vvas the youngest; after her graduation from the Stillwater high school she engaged in
teaching in the public schools, as well as teaching music. In 1900 she came to FuUerton,
where she has since made her home. A cultured and refined woman, she presides grace-
fully over her husband's home, where they entertain their many friends and dispense
a true, old-time California hospitality. One child has blessed this union, Josephine,
who attends the Fullerton high school. By a former marriage. Mr. des Granges has a
son, Harry E., who has a battery and ignition works at Los Gatos.

Mr. des Granges has seen many changes since coming to this region in 1873. In
fact the most optimistic resident of those days could not have conceived the wonderful
transformation that has taken place, with the increase in land values from fifteen and
twenty dollars an acre to $5,000 to $6,000. It is to men like Mr. des Granges, who
were not afraid to venture and work, that Orange County owes much of its present
development and greatness, so in this section he is indeed a pioneer of pioneers.

CHARLES O. RUST. — A "captain of industry" who contributed something
definite and important to the development of the commercial interests of Southern
California, is the late Charles O. Rust, who was vice-president of the Wickersheim Im-
plement Company of Fullerton, who resided on his ranch at 619 North Palm Street,
Anaheim. He was born at Crescent City, then in Mendocino, now in Del Norte County,
Cal., on November 26, 1858, the son of Carl F. Rust, who had married Miss Sophia
Horn, like himself a native of Germany. His father came to California in pioneer days
and located in that part of Mendocino County, where he busied himself transporting on
the backs of burros those supplies so much needed by miners, and which had to be
brought from Crescent City. Later he was in the general merchandise business in
that town, and only in 1861 succeeded in getting south to locate in Anaheim. He was
one of the original colonists and purchased forty acres of land on North Palm Street,
where he had a vineyard set out and as soon as they began bearing he located on his
ranch in 1861, and began the making of wine from his vineyard, but he was not allowed
to long enjoy the fruits of his labors for in 1868 he passed to his eternal reward. He
was a tanner by trade, and had the repute of having established the first tannery in
Los Angeles, now Orange County, setting it up on his home ranch. He bought the
hides from the Spanish, had ten vats sunk into the ground, and from the neighboring
mountains brought the oak bark for tanning. Two children were born to this worthy
couple — one being Chas. O.. our subject, and the other a daughter, now Mrs. A. S.
Browning, of Los Angeles, who was born on the old ranch at Anaheim.

Educated in the schools at Anaheim, the first teacher Charles had was Professor
Kuelp, although afterward he went to a school in Anaheim taught by the late J. M.
Guinn, the historian. He finished his studies in Los Angeles and San Francisco, and
in 1878 returned to the ranch at Anaheim. During his forty years' residence there he
made much of the best wine and brandy for which Orange County was noted. After
the grape disease killed the vines he set the ranch out to oranges and walnuts. The
greater part of the twenty acres is now in full-bearing Valencia oranges and walnuts,
all of which trees were planted by him. The mammoth sycamore trees on the place,
however, were set out by his father, and are today a beautiful memorial of the old
pioneer. Mr. Rust owned other valuable real estate in the county, including a fine
orange grove of twenty acres one mile west of Fullerton and he also owned valuable
property in Los Angeles. He helped to organize the Anaheim Citrus Fruit Associa-
tion, and served on its board of directors. He was also a director in the Orange
Growers Exchange of Orange County and as stated above was vice-president of the
Wickersheim Implement Company.

When Mr. Rust married, he chose for his wife. Miss Kate Snedaker, a native of
Iowa, born near Guthrie Center. Her father was Samuel Blair Snedaker, who was born
near Great Bend, Pa., in 1811, descended from old Knickerbocker stock, the ancestors
having immigrated from Holland to New York in 1632, locating in what is now Flat-
bush, Brooklyn. Some of the ancestors on the Snedaker side were in the Colonial and
Revolutionary wars, while Samuel B. Snedaker's mother was a native of England. He
was reared on farms at Clyde and Lyons, N. Y. After his first wife died he removed
to Cincinnati, Ohio, where he became captain of a packet boat running on the Ohio and
Mississippi rivers to New Orleans. In Xew Orleans he was married a second time,
being united with Miss Ann Keary. who was born in the north of Ireland. He pros-
pered and became a man of large affairs; among other property he owned a tobacco
plantation. Selling this and his other interests before the Civil War he moved to Iowa
and became a pioneer farmer at Guthrie Center. Desirous to migrate still further west,
in 1862. he brought his family across the plains in a train of seven wagons. In spite of
the Indian troubles they reached California safely and he was for a time engaged in the
hotel business at San Andreas. Calaveras County. In 1865 his wife died, leaving four
children. He finally located in San Francisco, where he was engaged in the furniture




,J„fCVjnnms SrO-C-Vr



(Iju^. Qa:s^\^^^^




fn? dySGt^'inu^s tSrofry



JloJ^ /J. 1^aaaJ~



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 301

business until lie retired, coining to Anaheim in 1881, where he spent his last days in
tne home of his daughter, Mrs. Rust, passing away in 1897. Mrs. Rust was the young-
est child and received her education in San Francisco. .After graduating from the
Rincon school she was engaged in teaching in Calaveras County for two years, until
1881, when she came to Anaheim with her father and sister and here she met and
married Mr. Rust. Their union was blessed with two children. Percy was educated
at Belmont Military Academy and is married to Ruth J. Hauser; they have two
children, Ruth Jacquelin and Chas. Warren. Elsa is a graduate of Marlborough School,
Los Angeles, and Columbia University, New York, receiving the degree of Bachelor of
Science degree from the latter institution.

The family are members of the Episcopal Church. For twenty years Mr. Rust
was a trustee of the town of Anaheim, and for most of the time served as mayor, or
chairman of the board and during his service marked the beginning of public improve-
ment in .Anaheim, which has resulted in making it the beautiful and modern city it is
today. He also served for many years on the school board: was a director of the
Anaheim Union Water Company; a member of the Board of Trade of Anaheim, and
also of the Mother Colony Club. He was a charter member of .\naheim Lodge No.
1345, B. P. O. Elks. Politically he was a stanch Repuljlican. He passed away in Oak-
land, where he and Mrs. Rust had gone for the cool climate of summer, on October 7.
1920, mourned by his family and friends. In his death Orange County and Anaheim
lost one of its best citizens and upbuilders. Since his death Mrs. Rust resides at the
old home and aided by her children looks after the affairs left by her husband.

JOSEPH P. MOODY.— The ranch and residence of Joseph P. Moody are situated
one mile west and north of Cypress, in Orange County, Cal. Mr. Moody is one of the
well-known and highly respected stock and poultry men in his section, and has been
engaged in the poultry business since 1914. His thirty-one acre ranch is well tilled and
highly productive, and his poultry stock consists of about 700 single-comb White
Leghorns of the best laying strain. His poultry house. 118.\20 feet, has a cement
t^oor and is up to date in every way; he pumps his water and grinds his feed by
electricity. Twenty-three acres of his ranch are in alfalfa and a good family orchard.
He has resided in Orange County and on his present ranch since 1896. and has been an
active and progressive rancher from the first, buying his land when it was in almost a
wholly unimproved state and bringing it up to its present state of productiveness.

Mr. Moody was born in Carthage, Ohio, November 20, 1848, and is the son ol
Henry and Nancy Moody, natives of Kentucky and Ohio, respectively. The father
crossed the plains with others in the memorable year of '49, making the journey over-
land without serious mishap in about five months. In 1850 he returned to his family in
Ohio, and in 1852 made his second trip to California, this time by water via the Isthmus,
and accompanied by his wife and two children. When within one day of landing at
San Francisco his wife died and was buried at sea, June 5, 1852. He again engaged
in the occupation of mining, as he had done upon his previous visit to the state, and
continued the occupation several years. In course of time he married Mrs. Murphy,
by whom he had two children; Stephen H. and Mary, who is now Mrs. Brewster. He
died in 1894.

Joseph P. Moody was three and a half years old when his mother died at sea, and
he was reared by Mrs. Catherine Alderman of Grass Valley, Nevada County. Cal., a
most worthy woman. Because of surrounding conditions Joseph's early education was
somewhat neglected, nevertheless he acquired a practical training for business purposes,
and is a self-made man both from a business and educational standpoint. While his
younger life was spent in agricultural pursuits he did little manual labor, always taking
up some pursuit in which he had the oversight and direction of/ others. He engaged
extensively in the sheep-raising industry, having as many as 2,500 sheep in one flock,
and in ranching near Paso Robles, San Luis Obispo County.

His marriage in Elmira, N. Y., in 1872, united his destiny with that of Miss Martha
McClary of that city, and of their union ten children were born, namely: Charles E..
William H.. Lottie J.. Mary E., Arthur J., Joseph E., Grace J., Earl J., Harriet N. and
Clara M. Joseph E. is a minister in the Christian Church, and has been a successful
missionary in India for five years. Mrs. Moody died, aged forty-four in September, 1892,
and Mr. Moody again entered the state of matrimony in August 30, 1893, being united
with Miss Elizabeth Alderman. A daughter, Catherine G. by name, was born of this
union. Mrs. Moody is a native of Grass Valley, Cal. She was born on May 23, 1852,
and is the daughter of Samuel and Catherine Alderman, early California pioneers who
came to the state about the time that Mr. Moody came, and ran a dairy ranch in
Nevada County. Of the nine children in the Alderman paternal home, seven are
living. In their church associations Mr. Moody and his family are members of the
Christian Church.
15



302 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

RICHARD W. JONES.— Closely connected with the commercial, political, horti-
cultural and humanitarian undertakings of Orange County for the past thirty-six years,
Richard W. Jones is one of the "old-timers" who has seen the wonderful transformation
of Southern California from a sparsely settled section to a district that is not equalled
by any in the entire state. A native of Wales, he was born at Carnavonshire, on October
30, 1854, the son of John and Mary Jones, both natives of that country and where the
last days of their lives were spent. Orphaned early in life, his mother dying when he
was but one year old and his father four years later, the lad was reared by his grand-
parents until he was eleven, when he was thrown upon his own resources. He worked
upon farms in his native land until he was seventeen years of age, when he went to
Liverpool, and then, in 1878, decided to try his fortune in America. Arriving here he
went to Columbia County, Wis., and there followed farming for six years, coming to
California and to what is now Orange County in 1884. One year later he became a
foreman on the David Hewes ranch at El Modena and after he had demonstrated his
ability to look after such a large property and bring it to a high state of development,
he was made manager, remaining on the place for twenty years and having a great
deal to do with its early improvement and development as the years passed. He had the
entire confidence of Mr. Hewes, who approved his methods of planting, harvesting and
marketing the products of the great ranch. This ranch was once a sheep range of 800
acres, which Mr. Hewes bought in 1880 for from $20 to $30 per acre, and then set
about to make it one of the beauty spots of the state by spending thousands of dollars
on Hewes Park and in carrying on the most up-to-date methods of ranching. It is
conceded by those who know that Mr. Jones was the genius who perfected the plans
and superintended the work and gave the impetus to its popularity.

While employed by Mr. Hewes, Mr. Jones had bought a ranch of thirty acres in
El Modena precinct and begun its development; this land he added to until he now owns
forty-six acres, thirty of which is fully improved and brings in handsome returns. On
his ranch he erected an attractive house, the green foliage of the foothills forming a
picturesque background for its white exterior, making a beautiful setting for the
residence. The land lies in a sheltered cove, in what is known as the "frostless belt,"
making it one of the best locations for a citrus grove in this section of the county.
Here, with the aid of his son, Marion E., he is carrying on horticultural pursuits that
bring in handsome yearly returns and enables him to enjoy life to its full.

On June 20, 1895, at McPherson, R. W. Jones was united in marriage with Miss
Clara J. McPherson, a member of a Scotch family tracing their lineage in America
back to the sixteenth century. Her father, William Gregg McPherson, migrated from
Illinois to California in 1859, crossing the plains. with ox teams, and after his arrival
he engaged in mining near Downieville, meeting with more than ordinary success. He
then returned to Chicago and married his first wife. Miss Harriet Crowell, and four
children were born of that union: Edwin H., William Gregg, Clara J., Mrs. Jones, and
Frederick; Mrs. Jones now being the only survivor.

Returning to California Mr. McPherson lived at San Jose, and there his daughter
was born, and while there he found the most profitable employment he could lind was
teaching school. From San Jose he moved to Westminster in 1871, in order that his
growing family might have the advantages of school and church in the new Presby-
terian colony. In 1873 he bought forty acres at McPherson, named in honor of the
colony of McPherson relatives, of whom there were over fifty at one time, and while
he was developing his property he employed his talents as a teacher and thus endeared
himself to many of the young men and women of the locality who received instruction
from him. During his residence at McPherson he was the magnet that drew many
emigrants from the East to California, and not a few settled here in Orange County.
He was a inan of much public spirit, desirous of doing good in order that good might
be accomplished. He passed to his reward in 1908, deeply mourned by all who had
known him. Mrs. Jones' mother died in 1876.

A native daughter of the Golden State, Mrs. Jones is deeply interested in all move-
njents for its upbuilding, is a woman of unusual attainments, and has been a true help-
mate to her husband in the highest sense. She is one of the foremost women of the
county, has given freely of her time and talents to uplift work and humanitarian move-
ments, and her influence and kindly deeds have been known far beyond the confines of
her home environment. She was a leader in club circles, and in church and charitable
enterprises is known throughout Orange County, and in fact the entire state of
California. She is president of Orange County Sunday School Association, and one of
the officers of the Los Angeles Presbyterial, and has been a delegate to the national
conventions.




'-:/^(::^.^::^^c:?!^^^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 305

Mr. and Mrs. Jones have been active in the many cooperative enterprises that have
had such a direct bearing on the rapid growth of this district, and have ever lent a
helping hand to every project designed to assist and enhance the public welfare. They
became the parents of two children, only one of whom, Marion, E., reached maturity.
He is married to Elva May, and they reside upon the home ranch and assist in its
management. For thirteen years Mr. Jones served as a trustee of the Orange Union
High School; for twelve years he was a director in the John T. Carpenter Water
Company; and he is a director in the Orange County Mutual Insurance Company, the
National Bank of Orange, the McPherson Heights Citrus Association and the Orange
County Fruit Exchange. In political matters he is a Republican and believes in pro-
gressive movements for the salvation of the country, for ours is an age of advancement
along every line of endeavor.

WILLIAM M. McFADDEN.— The name of William M. McFadden is worthy of
enrollment among the very early settlers of Orange County who foresaw its great
possibilities and put their shoulder to the wheel to develop the opportunities by which
they were surrounded. A pioneer of California who came hither by way of Panama,
and for twenty years an educator in its schools, he was one of that sturdy band of men
who pushed westward to aid in the development of our wonderful state and at the
same time to find greater opportunities for themselves than were to be had in the
more populous East; and in enduring the privations to be found in a newer civilization,
and each doing his bit to build up whatever portion of the state they cast their lot with,
these men have builded even better than they knew, and California today stands ready
with all praise for their unselfish strivings.

William M. McFadden was born in Pittsburgh, Pa., on February 19, 1842. and
was a graduate of the West Pittsburgh high school and the Curry Normal Institute,
as well as the Beaver Academy, at Beaver, Pa., and later, the commercial department
of Wellborn College at Louisville. Ky. During much of this time, he paid his own
tuition, with money which he had earned through teaching school, and this circum-
stance alone affords a key to at least one side, and a very important one at that, of
his mental and moral make-up as a prospective pioneer and pathmaker.

In 1863, the young school teacher came to California, and for four and a half
years he taught in the Alameda County district schools. Then, in 1868, he came to
Southern California, and continued teaching in Los .\ngeles County, living for eleven
years at what was then called North Anaheim, now Placentia, while he kept school at
what was known as Upper Santa Ana. During a portion of that time he served as
superintendent of schools of Los Angeles County, where he was also a member of the
Roard of education for two years, the second year serving as president of the board;
and later he was president of the high school board of Fullerton, and superintendent
of construction of the first high school building in the county, erected in Fullerton.

In January, 1869. Mr. McFadden became interested in horticulture, and purchased
ninety-two acres from the Stearns Rancho Company, which he set out to oranges and
walnuts; later, as the trees began to bear, shipping yearly about twenty-three carloads
of oranges and two carloads of walnuts. He was one of the first to raise oranges and
walnuts here after the development of water, and was rather naturally one of the origi-
nators of the Fullerton Walnut Growers Association, which in turn levied upon him
for its president for years. He was the second man to grow oranges in the Placentia
district, and one of five shippers who organized the Southern California Orange Ex-
change. When he started his orange culture in the Placentia district, Mr. McFadden
secured oranges from Mexico, and the seeds of these were planted in seed beds and
watered from well water; the plants were then budded to Australian Navels and later
to Washington Navels.

Among other important development projects, Mr. McFadden was one of the
original promoters of the Anaheim LInion Water Company, the other man associated
with him being R. H. Gilnian, J. W. Shanklin, Wm. Crowthers, J. B. Pierce, P. Hansen,
and Henry Hetebrink. The building of this ditch was an important event in Mr. Mc-
Fadden's life-work, and has been a decided factor in the further development of the
county, for these pioneer irrigation projects laid the foundation for the present intensive
cultivation everywhere to be seen throughout the county. In this company Mr. Mc-
Fadden served as president, and was also for years a director; and he was one of the
organizers, secretary and director of the Cajon Irrigation Company, later merged into
the .\naheim Union Water Company. He was intensely interested in every project that
had for its aim the development of the county; and as an enthusiastic advocate of
popular education, he built with his own money the first school house at Placentia, in
what was then called the El Cajon district, and served on the school board for years.

Mr. McFadden was a delegate to the Democratic National Convention at Kansas
City when Bryan was nominated, and he was also a member of the notification com-



306 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUiXTY

mittee — a reasonabJe honor, considering that he was one of the prime movers in organ-
izing Orange County, as he became among its most philanthropic citizens.

At Alameda, in 1866, Mr. McFadden was married to Miss Sarah Jane Earl, who
had come to California via Panama when she was eighteen, and had already taught
school for two years. She had eight children, all but one of whom were born in the
Placentia district in Los Angeles County. Those still living are Carrie E., now Mrs.
Herbert A. Ford, Clarence, Thomas, Ralph and Robert. Will E. died in 1912, aged
thirty-nine, leaving a wife and a daughter. The others, a boy and a girl, died in 1875.
This relation of the birth of the children to Placentia district is of more interest when
it is recalled that it was Mrs. McFadden who gave it the name of Placentia, in which
district she came to be a charter member of the Placentia Round Table, the woman's
club. This organization erected the first woman's club house in all Orange County.
She was very active in all forward movements, and participated eagerly in whatever
contributed to the upbuilding of society as well as the building up of the nearby places;
and she lived to witness much of the wonderful development of Southern California.
She died on August 18, 1908, at Fullerton, six years after Mr. McFadden, on July 21 and
in the same town, had passed away, honored in particular by the Masons, whose
ancient fraternity he had joined as a member of the San Francisco lodge, later demitting
to .Anaheim Lodge; he instituted and was the first master of Fullerton Lodge. He
was also a member of the Chapter and Commandery in Santa Ana. Mrs. McFadden
was the first matron of the Eastern Star Chapter at Fullerton.

MRS. MARIE EUGENIA DAGUERRE.— The beautiful family life of France
perhaps find its fullest expression in that picturesque mountain district, known as the
Basses-Pyrenees, and in this wonderful, healthful climate the children are reared with
exceptional care, and especially is the highest standard of morals established, and thus
the honor of the family altar is kept sacred. Here in this corner of Sunny France, not
far from the border of Spain, was the birthplace of Mrs. Marie Eugenia Daguerre, the
owner of a third interest in the great Moulton ranch at El Toro. Born at St. Pierre
de Yrube, near the famous old fortified city of Bayonne, Mrs. Daguerre before her
marriage was Maria Eugenia Duguet, her parents being Baptista and Elizabeth (Uris-



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 37 of 191)