Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 39 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 39 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and a familiar figure, not only in local aflfairs, but political councils of the state, at
one time holding the office of vice-president of the State League of Republican Clubs.
A leader in fraternal circles, Mr. Shaw has twice been master of the Santa Ana
Lodge of Masons, a charter member of the Elks, the first council commander of the
Woodmen of the World and a member of the Maccabees.

PATRICIO YRIARTE.— For many years one of the largest sheep raisers in
Orange County. Patricio Yriarte. spent the later years of his life on his large ranch in
the vicinity of Brea. Born in Spain, in the Pyrenees region, on March 17, 1861, he
received his education in the schools of his home neighborhood, remaining in his
native land until young manhood, when he decided to seek his fortune in America.
Reaching New Orleans April 2, 1885, Mr. Yriarte came across country to Los Angeles
later the same year.

Settling in what is now Orarrge County he became a sheep raiser and for a number
of years he ran large bands, grazing them on the land that is now Yorba, Y^orba Linda
and the San Joaquin ranch. As the country began to be more thickly settled and the
grazing area reduced, Mr. Y'riarte decided to give up this business in 1897. He then
leased land in the neighborhood of the present home and farmed it to hay and grain.
In 1905 he purchased his ranch of 160 acres southeast of Brea; here he conducted exten-
sive ranching operations, raising corn, grain, hay and domestic stock. Besides his own
holdings he also rented large acreages, at one time have 1.200 acres under cultivation.
He took up his permanent residence on liis Brea ranch in 1905 and here he resided
for the remainder of his life.

On May 6, 1883, Mr. Y'riarte was married to Miss Pascuala Arrese, who like
himself was a native of Spain, born May 19. 1861, and reared in the same locality, and
receiving her education there before her migration to America. Mr. and Mrs. Yriarte
were the parents of five children: Felix, who is with the Union Oil Company at
Brea, married Celestina Lorea, who was also born in Spain and who came to America
and made her home on the Yriarte ranch until her marriage; they are the parents of
four children — Mary. Jose. Pauline and Margaret; Agustin is the manager of the
Yriarte estate and makes his home on tlic ranch; his wife is Lorenza Lorea, who made
the trip alone from her native Sp.Tin, arriving here December 18. 1909, and making her
home on the Y'riarte ranch until her marriage to Agustin on October 4, 1916; three
children have come to bless their home: Julian, who is with the Standard Oil Company
at Whittier, married Miss Inez Dolly, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Dolly of Whit-
tier; Y'sabel resides on the home ranch with her brother Agustin; Mary makes her home
with her brother Felix at Brea. .\gusfin and Julian Yriarte are members of the B. P.
O. Elks, the former at Anaheim and the latter at Whittier and of the Knights of
Pythias at Brea.

In 1904 Mr. and Mrs. Patricio Y'riarte. with four of their children, made an ex-
tended trip abroad, visiting their old home in the Pyrenees of Spain and spending ten
months on the trip. On returning home they took up their residence on their ranch
and here Mrs. Y'riarte passed away on March 17, 1915, on her husband's fifty-fourth
birthday, the death of Mr. Y'riarte occurring but a few weeks later, on April 19, 1915.
In 1910 Mr. Y'riarte erected the Y'riarte Building in Anaheim, on Center Street, next
to the \'alencia Hotel. On November 24, 1905. Mr. Y'riarte became an American citizen,
having received his final papers that year. During his many years of residence in
Orange County he was loyal to all movements that had for their aim the betterment of
conditions in general and the advancement of moral and social conditions.

.•\fter the death of Mr. Yriarte the 160-acre ranch was apportioned etiually among
the children, but it is still known as tlie Yriarte ranch, being left in one body of land.
Sixty acres of the ranch, owned by the sons, is now devoted to citrus fruit, having been
set out by Julian and .Ygustin Yriarte. The whole acreage is kept up to a high state
of productivity and is one of the valuable properties of the Brea district.



318 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

WALTER M. PARKER. — Prominent among those whose memory will long be
kept green, both by those who knew him personally, and could themselves appreciate
his rare worth, and also by those who are always ready to honor the pioneer and path
breaker to whom posterity is necessarily indebted for many blessings, was the late
Walter M. Parker, a native of Stockton, N. ¥., where he was born on May 7, 1844.
His father, Leonard Parker, also now deceased, was a native of Hamburg, Erie County,
N. Y., where he first saw the light on March 1, 1818. He married Catherine Kennedy,
who was born in Montgomery County, N. Y., on October 22, 1820. Leonard Parker
passed away on April 3, 1902, and his wife died twelve years before, on the fifteenth of
October. They were married at Stockton, N. Y., on September 16, 1838, and came
with their family to Anaheim in 1871, Mr. Parker taking up the work of a vineyardist.
Still later he cultivated oranges, owning a sixty-acre ranch; whereas they had raised
cattle and sheep in earlier days. They had ten children.

Walter Parker went to the public schools, and when he was old enough, became
a veterinary surgeon. After coming to Orange County, he set up a regular practice,
and in that scientifically interesting and humane field continued for many years,
accomplishing no end of good in the relief of the dumb animal, and getting to be
very well known beyond the confines even of the county. He also owned a fruit
ranch of forty acres, made raisins, and built the first raisin drier in Orange County.
He was best known, however, as a veterinary surgeon. Later he located at Iowa
Park, Tex., where he engaged in the rasing of cattle: and there he died on Mav
14. 1908.

He had been in the Civil War as a member of the Seventeenth Illinois Cavalry,
and at Richland, now Orange, then in Los Angeles County, on June 28, 1873, he
was married to Miss Barbara Kraemer, a native of- St. Claire County, 111., and the
daughter of Daniel Kraemer. She has always been the center of a circle of devoted,
admiring friends, and is as popular today with her stories of experience with the
Indians, who were friendly, in the early days of Anaheim. One daughter. Miss
Elenora A. Parker, is a teacher in the Anaheim public schools.

ELIJAH P. JUSTICE.— A pioneer not alone of Orange County, but of the state
of California, Elijah P. Justice, one of the county's most honored old settlers, is
now living retired with his excellent wife, who has proved such a capable and courage-
ous helpmate, on the Justice ranch near Westminster. Despite the fact that he has
reached his eighty-second birthday, Mr. Justice possesses a truly remrakable memory
and can recall names, dates and incidents, and describe with graphic detail the perilous
happenings of his journej' across the plains. A native of the Hoosier State, Mr.
Justice was born in Pulaski County, Ind., November 10, 1838, and there he spent
the days of his early boyhood. In 1853, when a lad of fifteen, he went to Texas with
his father, remaining there for four years, then starting across the plains with ox
teams for California. At that time there were many warring bands of Indians scat-
tered over the plains, and time and again they were set upon by these marauders.
They lost practically all of their cattle and barely escaped with their lives. In addi-
tion they encountered innumerable other hardships, and it was with a great sense ot
thankfulness that they finally reached the settlement at San Bernardino. Later Mr.
Justice became a freighter, and for these rough and hardy plainsmen even the Redskins
had respect, for the freighters feared nothing and took no chances in being surprised
by the Indians. Mr. Justice recalls vividly how at a certain place in Arizona a
number of freighters encountered a band of hostile Redskins, and the battle that
followed was a victory for the freighters, who counted seventy-two braves killed liy
their bullets.

A native daughter of California, Mrs. Justice, too, has passed through many
of the strenuous experiences that were typical of the pioneer days of the state. She
was before her marriage to Mr. Justice Miss Martha Adeline Cotman, and she was
born November 24, 1853, in San Diego County, near the San Luis Rey Mission. Her
parents were John and Mary (Bohna) Cotman, natives, respectively, of Louisiana
and Arkansas. Mr. Cotman came to the state in 1852, later meeting an accidental
death. Mrs. Justice was the eldest of the Cotman children, and her mother's second
marriage, which did not prove a happy one, made her childhood full of hardship,
and she had very few opportunities for education or other advantages. She made
the acquaintance of Mr. Justice at Azusa and was married to him on September 26,
1869, when she was not yet sixteen years old. Throughout all the years of their early
struggles, when there were many hardships and days of toil, she has ever been ready
to aid and encourage, and much of the prosperity that they have attained is due
to her wise habits of thrift and conservation. Generous and hospitable, she has
rounded out more than a half century of wedded life, and is much beloved by a large
circle of children and grandchildren. Ten children have been born to Mr. and



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 319

Mrs Justice: Clara is the wife of P. L. Glines of Covina, and is the mother of four
children; Martha is the wife of George Yost, a raisin grower near Fresno, and has
three boys; Laura is the wife of Roy Richards, an employee of the Salt Lake Rail-
road; they have two children and reside at Long Beach; Oliver P. married Miss
Lulu Fisher and is a freighter and farmer at Merced; they lost their only child
through an accident; Leona died at the age of eighteen months; Wiley Wells is
employed on the Irvine ranch; Jesse A. was killed in an automobile accident Janu-
ary 1, 1918; Roy C. is employed on the Emery ranch as an engineer and machinist;
Rhoda V. is the wife of George Taylor, a machinist; they have four children, and
reside at Huntington Beach; the youngest is Benjamin Franklin. Mr. and Mrs.
Justice have one great-grandchild.

After reaching San Bernardino at the end of his journey across the plains.
Mr. Justice remained there for about two years, locating in the vicinity of Azusa
in the fall of 1859. The outlook there was far from encouraging, as the plain was
covered with cactus and sage brush, but Mr. Justice obtained title to a tract of land
there and started in to cultivate it, but his water rights were illegally cut off. Being
unable to get the matter adjusted satisfactorily, he deemed it best to dispose of the
Tand, and he removed to El Monte, renting land there which he devoted to stock
raising and general farming for four years. In 1882 he disposed -of everything but
his cattle, which he drove to what is now Orange County, locating in the vicinity
of Westminster, and here he has since made his home. There were very few settlers
here at that early day, the place being almost a wilderness, but with true wisdom
and foresight Mr. Justice perceived that the soil could be made to yield abundantly if
given the proper cultivation. His first purchase was a tract of forty acres, at that
time covered with tules and willows, for which he paid only twenty dollars an acre,
the same land now being valued at more than $500 an acre. At the time he bought
the land it was so wet that he lost many of his cattle, the ground being too soft to
bear the weight of the animals. It took much hard labor to drain this land and bring
it under cultivation, but Mr. Justice's judgment has been amply rewarded in the years
of abundant returns he has received. It is to men and women of the stamp of Mr.
and Mrs. Justice that Orange ■County owes a great debt for the transformation that
has come about through their faith in its possibilities and the willingness to work
to bring about these results.

RALPH A. PATTERSON, FRANK E. PATTERSON.— For the past forty years
partners in the ranching business, and later as house movers, Ralph A. and Frank
E. Patterson have for fifteen years lived on their well-kept ranch of thirty-five acres
one mile east of Bolsa. and four miles west of Santa .^na. Of sturdy Eastern lineage
on both sides, their parents were William A. Patterson, a native of Newark. N. J.,
and Sarah Jane Crowell, whose forbears were among the old families of New Hcmip-
shire. The town of Paterson, N. J., was named for William A. Patterson's grand-
father, who was a silk manufacturer there, there being a slight change in the spelling
of the family name. William A. Patterson came to Ogle County, 111., when a young
mar, and engaged in farming, and there he met and married Miss Sarah Jane Crowell,
whose parents had moved there from New Hampshire. During the Civil War, he
enlisted in the Thirty-ninth Illinois Volunteer Infantry and served with distinction in
the Union .•Xrmy. ,\t the Battle of Gettysburg the great siege gun. "Monitor," exploded,
and a piece of the gun struck him in the left leg and he was crippled for life.

After the war was over, Mr. Patterson and his family moved to Nodaway County,
Mo., and there carried on farming, specializing in the raising of broom corn and
the manufacture of brooms, in which they made a good success. As is well known,
certain localities in Missouri continued even for several years after the war to be
divided in sentiment and allegiance to the Union. The Patterson boys were often
singled out as the subjects for derision and revenge, and the Copperheads would seek
to plague them by calling them "Yanks." which the Patterson boys usually ignored,
but when the term began to be prefaced by opprobrious epithets, they decided that it
was time for a battle royal, and it is related that the Patterson boys never came out
second best in one of these encounters, and, incidentally, the whole locality began
to have a wholesome respect for "Yankee" principles, as inculcated by the massive
fists of the Patterson boys. Three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. William A.
Patterson in Ogle County. III., and two in Nodaway County, Mo.: Charles, a light-
house keeper in Oregon, died July 18, 1919, at the age of sixty-three, leaving four
children; Frank E., born March 21, 1859. is a partner of R. A. Patterson; Ralph .-\us-
tin, of this review, born September 1, 1861. Watts Turner died at Bolsa. where he
was a rancher, leaving a widow and two ste|)cliil(lriii ; William II. M. died at Santa
Ana, leaving a widow and two sons.



320 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

The Patterson family came to California from Nodaway County, Mo., in 1881,
and settled at Westminster. Ralph A. soon began ranching on his own account, locat-
ing at Carlsbad, in San Diego County, where he was extensively engaged in grain
farming for twenty years. He then sold his holdings there, consisting of 480 acres,
'and came back to Bolsa precinct and bought his present place of thirty-five acres,
which he and his brother Frank have farmed ever since. They have put down a
len-inch well, 214 feet deep, and have installed a pumping plant with an eight-
horsepower engine, which furnishes fifty inches of water for irrigation and domestic
purposes, also another four-inch well, pumped by a windmill. A comfortable resi-
dence and barns have been erected, and a house moving shop, this having been a
side line with them for a number of years, doing business in Orange County on the
west side of the river. The farm is largely devoted to garden truck, specializing in
sweet potatoes, melons and carrots. For twenty years he was employed at threshing
in Riverside, Orange, San Bernardino and San Diego counties, and gained a wide
acquaintance thereby.

Ralph A. Patterson was married first in 1888 to Miss Lydia Dumphy, who passed
away in 1890. her infant son, her mother and herself all dying within a few hours of
the grippe. Mr. Patterson's second marriage united him with Miss Mamie Payne of
San Diego; she died in 1901, at the birth of her second child, the infant also living
but a few hours. " Her eldest child. George A., is a student at the Santa Ana high
school. Mr. Patterson's present wife, before her marriage was Miss Hallie M. Fill-
more, and she is the daughter of William and Eliza Fillmore; she is the mother of
five children: Charles T., William E.. Hattie Jane. Hazel, deceased, and Lloyd Fillmore.
Frank Patterson has never married, but makes his home with his brother, with whom
he has been associated in business for forty years. Both brothers are steadfast and
consistent Republicans.

MRS. ZORAIDA B. TRAVIS.— An estimable and exceedingly worthy represent-
ative of one of Orange Coimty's most distinguished families, herself a descendant of
aristocratic Catalonian Spanish ancestors, is Mrs. Zoraida B. Travis, a daughter of
Prudencio Yorba and a granddaughter of Bernardo Yorba. His father was Antonio
Yorba. a soldier under Commander Fages who landed at Monterey, lived for a while at
the Monterey Mission, visited Yerba Buena. and finally came south to the Santiago
Creek, and in time obtained title to the rich grant. "El Canon de San Antonia de Santa
'^na de los Yorbas."

Bernardo Yorba received a grant from the King of Spain embracing about 180.000
acres, extending from nearly the present site of Riverside west to the ocean. As early
as 1835 he located his home on the north side of the Santa Ana River in Santa Ana
Canyon, and there built his commodious residence, famous in those days for its liberal
hospitality. It was a very large adobe building, containing ninety rooms, and many
were the activities carried on beneath its widespread roof. The various members of
the Yorba family were highly intelligent and highly esteemed; the most celebrated for
her many charities and kindness was the great-grandmother. Josefa Yorba. a much-
loved woman, who in McGroarty's Mission Play was selected as one of the leading
characters. In 1887. the period when so much attention was directed to California and
its realty, the Supreme Court of the United States confirmed title to the Yorba lands,
Bernardo Yorba having passed away in 1858, while his devoted wife had passed to the
Great Beyond seven years before.

Prudencio Yorba was a son of Bernardo Yorba by his marriage to Felipa Domin-
guez. He was born at the old adobe homestead. June 11. 1832. where he grew up. and
from a boy learned how to farm and raise stock successfully. His schooling was
obtained at the school at San Pedro. He was married August 4. 1851. to Dolores
Ontiveros. who was born on the Coyote ranch in the La Habra Valley, August 4. 1833.
Her father. Juan P. Ontiveros. was a native son. born in what is now Orange County.
and he married Martina Ozuna, born in San Diego, who also came of a very old and
prominent family. They farmed here for many years until they removed to Santa
Maria, Santa Barbara County, where Mr. Ontiveros purchased the Tepesquet ranch and
there en,gaged in ranching until his death. An extensive and successful sheep raiser,
Prudencio Yorba became the owner of a large ranch in the vicinity of Yorba. where
he resided until his death on July 3. 1885. his widow surviving him until November 24.
1894. having devoted her life to her family.

Of the twelve children born to this worthy couple, eight are still living, among
whom Mrs. Zoraida Travis is one of the youngest. She was born on her father's farm
near Yorba and as a girl received an excellent education, attending St. Catherine's
Convent at San Bernardino, where she completed her studies. On October 20. 1898. she
was married to J. Coleman Travis, the ceremony occurring at her old home. Mr. Travis
was a native of .\labama, where he was born on August 8. 1853, at Gainesville, near




^:^->- ci^ y:x ,^



trxct



(ff.



/ /^i^ a^i^~r,^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY " 325

Mol^ile. Impelled to leave the South on account of the disastrous effects of the Civil
War, the Travis family came to California via the Isthmus of Panama, arriving in Los
Angeles on Washington's Birthday, 1869. His parents, Amos and Eliza .»\nn (Cole-
man) Travis, were natives of Georgia and Alabama, respectively, and came of prominent
Southern families. For a time they resided in Los Angeles and engaged in orange
culture on Eighth Street, between San Pedro and Alameda streets. In 1871. however,
the family moved to Santa Ana, and a short distance north of the present site of Orange,
Amos Travis laid out the famous tract of about 800 acres.

For a number of years. J. Coleman Travis was superintendent of the plant of the
Santa Ana Valley Irrigation Company, and in this capacity he played an important part
in the building up of the plant and in the construction of its canals and ditches. Mr.
Travis also became the owner of a ranch of sixty acres on Tustin Street, near Orange,
which they developed and set to oranges, going through the discouraging days when
the fruit was ruined by pests, before the experts were able to control them. While
living there their five children were born, four of whom are living, J. Coleman, Jr.,
Kate, Zoraida and Amos. Later Mr. Travis sold the greater part of this ranch and pur-
chased the Esperanza ranch of 249 acres, a part of the old Prudencio Yorba place.
Mrs. Travis' father having named the ranch Esperanza for a daughter who had passed
away just before he moved onto this ranch from his old home. Then they located
at Santa Monica, where they resided until 1917, coming then to the Esperanza ranch.
Mr. Travis began developing this property, but was not permitted to carry out his
plans, for this estimable man died on June 19, 1919, his body being interred at Fair-
haven Cemetery, Oran,ge. He was a man of pleasing manner and very affable and
was endeared to every one, and particularly to his family, to whom he was a devoted
husband and a loving father. He was fond of outdoor sports and insisted on his family
enjoying many qutings, and also on his children learning to swim and to be proficient
in other athletic sports. He was especially fond of hunting and fishing and was a
member of the Orange County Fox Hunting Club, excelling as a rider and marksman.
Mr. Travis was always very interested in the building up of Orange County. He was
a deputy assessor of this district when it was still Los Angeles County, and he took a
prominent part in the county division and the organization of Orange County in 1889.
It is to men of J. Coleman Travis' type that much of Orange County's present greatness
and development is due, because with other early settlers he gave generously of his
time and means to all objects that had for their aim the improvement of the county
and enhancing the comfort of the people; and thus those early pioneers paved the way
for the opportunities and pleasures of the present-day citizen.

Mrs. Travis continues to reside on the Esperanza ranch, looking after her affairs
and the training and education of her children. She has an abundance to do and her
time is well taken up, for she still owns the 344-acre ranch that she originally inherited
from her father's estate, a part of the old Bernardo Yorba ranch. So it is indeed for-
tunate for herself and her family that she was endowed by nature with good judgment,
enabling her to manage and develop her property and enjoy her inheritance. A cul-
ture'd woman, with a taste and appreciation for the beautiful which finds expression
in her home. Mrs. Travis, in her graceful, charming manner, dispenses an old-time
California hospitality, and her ranch home continues to be a center for social gatherings
and family reunions.

GOTTFRIED KLOTH. — Among the many naturalized German-American citi-
zens at Orange. Gottfried Kloth is worthy of special mention. He is a retired rancher
and cement worker who, in 1920, sold his interests to his son-in-law, Benjamin
F. Dierker. to retire from the more active duties of life. Mr. Kloth was born in
Stettin. Germany, December IS, 1850. a son of Christian Kloth, who owned a farm
of 300 acres in that country, and there married Fraulein Mana Dreyer, and they
were the parents of four children who grew to maturity. Christian Kloth was married
three times, and was the father of twenty-three children.

Gottfried Kloth is the oldest child by the second wife, and has one own brother
and two own sisters. He grew to maturity in his native land, received a good
education, and was confirmed in the German church. His marriage occurred in his
native land in 1873, and united him with Huldah Trettin, also born in Germany. He



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 39 of 191)