Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 41 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 41 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


sixteen years, then bought it. He had purchased his present place of forty acres in
1881, and gave it to his three older children, but in 1914 and 1915 bought it back. He
is also the owner of the original Edwards homestead of forty acres, which he purchased
in 1916. He also has owned and improved three other ranches in the Westminster
and Wintersburg precincts, and had 1,280 acres of land in Arizona, near Casa Grande,
also property at Seal Beach. In 1914 he erected his attractive bungalow on -the Santa
Ana^Huntington Beach Boulevard, which he has named "The Tortoise Shell."

In 1878, William J. Edwards was married to Miss Ella Johnson of Garden
Grove, born in Solano County, the daughter of Irvin and Elizabeth Johnson, who
came there from Missouri. She passed away in 1891, leaving five children: Ernest
William, a rancher near Bishop, Inyo County, is married and has five children; Eliza-
beth Lillian is the wife of Glenn L. Baker, a rancher in Tulare County, and she is the
mother of six children; Harry James resides in Hemet, and has two children; Frances
Henrietta is the wife of J. W. StuflElebeem, a rancher at Visalia, and they have one
child; Bessie Ellen is the wife of George Harris of Lemon Cove, and she has one
child by her first marriage with James Harvey. Mr. Edwards' second marriage,
which occurred in 1892, united him with Miss Nettie Kelley, born in Nebraska, the
.daughter of John and Mary J. Kelley, both now deceased. Six children have been
born to them: Eugene J. is a rancher near Wintersburg and has one child; Cecil
Violet is the wife of Benjamin Craig of Phoenix, Ariz., and has two children; Sylvia
Juanita is the wife of Alljert G. Kettler, a rancher of Buena Park; Ben Samson, Rufus
Henry and Nettie Adelaide are at home.

Of late years, Mr. Edwards has been interested in the citrus and walnut industry
and he now has twenty acres devoted to orchard, his Valencia grove now being four
years old. Although always a very busy man, with many business interests, he has
never allowed himself to become so absorbed in business cares as to forget that a
reasonable amount of recreation is a necessity in everyone's life. A number of years
ago he had a wagon fitted up especially for camping trips, with sleeping and cooking
facilities ingeniously arranged. With his family he has taken many camping trips in
this wagon, one trip several years ago being through the Yosemite Valley. Mr. Ed-



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 2,2,7

wards has had the wagon mounted on a Ford chassis so that it is now more of service
than ever, especially for long trips, and during the early part of the year 1920 he
drove it on a long camping trip 'in the mountains. Mr. Edwards is a member of
the Westminster Drainage District and of the Lima Bean Growers' Association of
Smeltzer. An independent, both in religious and political matters, he has lived a
consistent, upright life, following his own creed of justice and honesty in all his
dealings with his fellowmen. He helped to make the division of Orange from Los
Angeles County, and has lived here all those years.

HIRAM CLAY KELLOGG.— Perhaps no one does more to help in the develop-
ment of a new country and particularly to benefit future generations than the efficient
civil engineer, and for this reason the name of H. Clay Kellogg of Santa Ana, is
indelibly associated with Orange County. His works will live as monuments after
he has passed hence. From the earliest days of the county up to the present time, and
not alone in this section is his work known, but throughout the state and beyond its
confines he has long been recognized as one of the most able m?n in his profession.
The favorite saying of the famous educator, Horace Mann, "VYe should be ashamed to
die until we have done something to help the world," is one of the favorite ma.xims
of H. Clay Kellogg. A native son of California, he was born near St. Helena, Napa
County, on Admission Day, September 9, 1855, the eldest son and child of Benjamin
Franklin and Mary Orilla (Lillie) Kellogg, both descendants of old New England
families who were among the pioneer settlers of Illinois. .\ sketch of the family is
given on another page of this history.

Even in his early years Mr. Kellogg manifested a decided inclination towards
the profession of civil engineer, and he was fortunate in being privileged to obtain the
necessary education and training to perfect himself in his chosen calling. In 1879 he
was graduated from Wilson College (now extinct) at Wilmington. Cal. During the
time he attended this institution, through the friendship of Captain Smith, the engineer
in charge of this section of the Coast Survey, Mr. Kellogg was fortunate in being
employed to work out the triangulations of the survey of the Wilmington and San
Pedro harbors and was furnished the necessary instruments for that purpose. After
completing his course in the college he did not engage in his profession for about
four years as he had taken contracts to set out vineyards at Anaheim, Placentia and
Pasadena, this being the period when the grape industry was at its height in Southern
California.

Mr. Kellogg's first- important contract was the laying out of the town of Elsinore.
in Riverside County, in 1883. The following year he was made chief engineer of the
Anaheim Union Water Company, just organized, and ever since that date he has been
employed as engineer or consulting engineer for the company. He held a like position
with the Anaheim Irrigation system until the district was declared invalid. In 1885 he
was chosen to fill the office of deputy county surveyor of Los Angeles County. In
1888 he surveyed and built the railroad running from the center of San Bernardino,
through Colton to Riverside and operated it for eight months. This is now a part of
the Southern Pacific system. In 1886-87 he laid out South Riverside, now Corona,
remaining as engineer of its water system until 1900. In 1894 he was selected for the
important post of constructing engineer of the dam at Gila Bend, Ariz., where he
remained until the completion of the work.

Upon his return to Orange County, which section of the state has been his home
since the year 1869. he was elected county surveyor, serving until January, 1899, when
he was elected city engineer of Santa .\na. The work before him was the development
of the sewer system of the city, a task that he was most competent to undertake and
which he completed to the satisfaction of everyone. In 1900 he went to Honolulu,
where he was engaged as chief engineer by the Wahiawa Water Company, and built
two immense reservoirs by damming up both forks of the Kaukonahua River, running
each side of the Wahiawa Colony; he also constructed a canal from the mountains to
irrigate the colony and as an adjunct. to the reservoirs, one of these having a capacity
of 2.500,000,000 gallons. The waters of these reservoirs irrigate the lands of the
Wahiawa .Agricultural Company, being carried by a canal seven miles in length. In
1905 he was employed as consulting engineer to make a report on, and revise the plans
of the Naunna dam above Honolulu and this dam has been constructed on his plans.

Upon the organization of the holding company for the Santa Ana Valley Irrigation
Company and the .Anaheim Union Water Company, known as the Santa .Ana River
Development Company, to look after the water supply and protect the water rights,
Mr. Kellogg was employed as engineer, and still holds that important post. His duties
are to measure the water each year from the source to the intake of the canals near
the county line in Orange County and make such necessary investigations for lawsuits



338 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

which occur in the protection of their rights, and in this field he is recognized as an
authority and always called upon for expert testimony. In 1906, when the Newbert Pro-
tection District was organized to control the water of the Santa Ana River from Santa
Ana to the ocean, a distance of ten and one-half miles, he was appointed engineer and
still holds that position. In 1910, after a period of twenty years, he returned to Corona,
arranged for and built the storm drains and sewer system for the city, two previous
attempts having failed.

Mr. Kellogg has constructed many miles of paving and built bridges in various
cities and counties in Southern California, and has built up a clientele second. to none
of any other engineer in the state. With a decided talent for architecture, he designed
the attractive residence at 122 Orange Street, Santa Ana, which has been his home
for a number of years. During the year 1918-19 he constructed a beautiful mausoleum,
100x200, of concrete, marble and bronze, at Oakland, Cal., a credit to Mr. Kellogg as a
builder, and had he not chosen the profession of engineering, he doubtless could have
won fame and success in the architectural field.

Mr. Kellogg has been twice married; his first union was with Miss Victoria Schulz,
a native of Iowa. She passed away in 1891, leaving a daughter, Victoria Sibyl, who was
graduated from the Westlake School for Girls in Los Angeles. She is the wife of
Ralph R. Michelsen, born in Los Angeles, a mechanic who works in steel, but with a
strong penchant for raising poultry. They have two bright children, Ralph Copeland
and Charlotte Augusta, Mr. and Mrs. Michelsen reside in Orange County. In 1895,
at Portland, Ore., Mr. Kellogg was married to Miss Helen V. Kellogg, a native of
Wisconsin, who spent her early life in North Dakota, and is a graduate of the high
and normal schools and of the State University of North Dakota, a talented lady
who presides over the family home and is an invaluable helpmate to her gifted husband.
This union has been blessed with four children — Helen, Hiram Clay, Jr., Leonard
Franklin and Oahu Rose.

In fraternal circles Mr. Kellogg is a Mason, having been made a member of
Santa Ana Lodge, No. 241, F. & A. M.; and he belongs to the Chapter; the Council,
where he has been illustrious master; the Commandery, in which he is a past eminent
commander, and is a member of the Al Malaikah Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S., in Los
Angeles. For years he was prominent in the Native Sons of the Golden West, serving
as president of the Invincible Parlor, and also held the office of deputy district grand
president for fourteen years, and is now among the oldest of the Native Sons of Cali-
fornia. He has always been prominent in the affairs of the Technical Society of Civil
Engineers of the Pacific Coast. Notwithstanding the busy life he has led, H. Clay
Kellogg has never neglected his duties as a citizen of the county, but has given of his
time and means to further those projects that have had as their aim the betterment of
social and civic conditions and in all such work he has had the active cooperation of his
wife and they have a wide circle of friends wherever known.

JOHN H. EDWARDS.— Now living retired at Santa Ana, John H. Edwards
occupies a distinct place among the honored pioneer ranchers of Orange County, as
for close to half a century he has been identified with its progress, and through
his aggressiveness and energy liberally contributing to every enterprise, not only of
his own neighborhood, but of the whole country round about.

While the greater part of his life has been passed in California, Mr. Edwards
is a native of Wisconsin, and there he was born near Hazel Green on October 16,
1855. His parents were Samson and Diana (Rogers) Edwards, honored residents of
Orange County for many years, a sketch of their lives being found elsewhere in
this history. During the early boyhood of Mr. Edwards, his parents removed to Jo
Daviess County, 111., and there he remained until early manhood. Then, in 1874, he
came to California with his father, Samson Edwards, and located near Westminster
in Orange County, and there they rented a ranch, which they cultivated together until
John H. was twenty-one years of age. He then entered into a partnership with his
brother, William T. Edwards, and for a number of years they were engaged in ranch-
ing, leasing land which they devoted to corn, barley, potatoes and live stock. They
also maintained a dairy and conducted a meat business, running wagons over a wide
scope of territory, and as they were energetic and progressive, they soon became
leaders in the agricultural development of the Westminster section.

In 1882 Mr. Edwards purchased a ranch of his own near Westminster, and
here he made his home until his removal to Santa Ana. His original purchase was a
tract of forty acres, and this he added to until he owned 270 acres of valuable land.
In connection with his ranching Mr. Edwards conducted a thriving butcher business
for a number of years. In 1907 he rented the land to his two eldest sons, who have
since given the ranch their careful attention, keeping it up to the same high state of
cultivation. Despite his busy life in the early days of development of Orange County,



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 341

Mr. Edwards was always keenly alive to the need for betterment of conditions in
his community, and to any measure that was of present or future value to the county.
As one of the directors of the Smeltzer branch of the Home Telephone Company,
he was instrumental in the establishment of the telephone system connecting his
neighborhood with the larger centers of the country. He was also a director of the
Bolsa Tile Factory, whose products were a much-needed factor in the development
and improvement of large tracts of land in Orange County.

Mr. Edwards' marriage, which was solemnized at Los Angeles, united him with
Miss Julia A. Penhall, a native daughter of California, whose father, Uriah Penhall,
was a pioneer of the Golden State, coming here in the early days and engaging in
mining. Five children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Edwards: Reuben W., Lloyd
E., Daisy M., wife of O. J. Day of Westminster, Mildred N. and Glen W.

MONSIGNOR HENRY EUMMELEN.— If California the Golden, famed to the
wide, wide world, is noted for anything besides its matchless climate and all the advan-
tages to health and human happiness arising from that priceless blessing, it is that
the great commonwealth is an empire of favored homes, a place where one may find
peace and contentment, in an environment of uplift and hope, if one is disposed to be
contented, happy and prosperous anywhere. For this second blessing — an advanced
and assured state of society — iCalifornians are indebted to various agencies long and
strenuously at work; chief among which have been the untiring ministrations of the
scholarly and faithful clergy, working unselfishly year in and year out to make the
world a better place to live in, and California, perhaps, the choicest corner of all.

Eminent among these leaders of church work who have thus dedicated themselves
and all that they control or direct to the public good, and often to the good of a public
not always exactly in accord with them, may well be mentioned the Very Reverend
Monsignor Henry Eummelen, distinguished years ago as the youngest Monsignor
in the United States or Canada, and now a natural leader among the prelates of Santa
Ana, who was born in the city of Lutterade, province of Limburg, Holland, on De-
cember 8, 1862 — a day doubtless serenely quiet in staid old Netherlands, but a date
memorable for the beginning of General Grant's operations against Vicksburg, which
riveted anew the attention of the Old World on America. His father was John
Mathias Eummelen, who had married Miss Maria Elizabeth Demacker; and being
God-fearing folk, and having noted the early aspiration of their first-born to conse-
crate himself to the service of the Almighty, they afforded him every opportunity to
prepare for the priesthood. For a while he attended the Jesuit College at Sittaert,
Holland, but after four years, when he was just sixteen, he came to this country with
his parents.

At Teutopolis, 111., he resumed his studies, and remained for another four years
at the Franciscan College, and then, for a year, he taught school. When he matricu-
lated again, it was at the seminary at Mount Angel, Marion County, Ore., but since
the Benedictines were not prepared to take secular students, he went to Vancouver,
W'ash., on the application of Bishop Junger, and taught at the college there for two
semesters. He then went to Nevi- Westminster, B. C, where he joined Bishop Durieu
in missionary work among the nine different tribes of Indians.

Impelled by the desire to resume his studies and reach his goal, Mr. Eummelen
went for a while to the Ottawa University; and, as his parents had removed from
Nebraska to California, he came to Bishop Mora, the first Bishop of Monterey and
Los Angeles, who sent him to Santa Barbara to finish his theology under the famous
Very Reverend Father Bergmeyer. When the latter gave up teaching, Mr. Eummelen
came south to Los Angeles and taught languages at St. Vincent's, at the same time
that he pursued his theological studies; and on the removal of his parents to Kansas,
he accompanied them, to look after their affairs. Bishop Fink, of Leavenworth, was
only too glad to welcome him to his diocese, and asked him to become a priest under
his jurisdiction.

Our subject was thus ordained to the priesthood in Leavenworth on February 28,
1890, by Bishop L. M. Fink, and said his first mass in the Sacred Heart Church at
Newbury, Kans., on the second of March following, in the presence of his parents
and other relatives, and his first charge was that of assistant at the Cathedral. Sub-
sequently he had to attend different missions in eastern Kansas, as a result of which
the arduous pioneer work of those early days proved altogether too much for his,
or the average man's, strength. His health broke down, and he was advised by his
physicians to move west again to the Pacific Coast.

Knowing Bishop Durieu of \'ancouver personally, he went to him and there,
as the only secular priest in the diocese, he labored for nine years, and during that
time he made it possible to enlarge the Church of the Holy Rosary, which has since



342 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

become the Pro-Cathedral, and he erected the parochial school and St. Paul's Hos-
pital. Not being able, however, to live any longer in that climate, he came to Southern
California and took up his abode in San Diego, where he spent three years in the
drearisome effort to recuperate his health; and, again feeling stronger, he volunteered
his services to Bishop Conaty of Los Angeles. The Bishop sent him to the Imperial
Valley, and there, during three years of hardships in a pioneer country, he built no
less than four churches. He was then sent to National City, and there erected a
church; and he also caused one to be built at Otay. As far back as 1896, at the
time of the patronal feast of the Church of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary, Bishop
Durieu, on October 3, had Pope Leo XIH, in recognition of Father Eummelen's
worth, ability and eminent services, appoint him a Monsignor, and the year previous
he had been made an Honorary Canon of the Holy House of Loretto; and with all
the years of added experience, accomplishment, prestige and influence, the Monsignor
was given his present charge, in 1913 — the important parish of St. Joseph's Church
at Santa Ana.

On March 2. 1915. occurred the silver jubilee of Monsignor. or plain Father
Eummelen, as he prefers to be called, and never, perhaps, has Orange County so
honored itself in a similar way as in the proper celebration of the event — a celebration
that took on more significance on account of the history of the flourishing parish.
The first Catholic Church of Santa .\na was built and dedicated in 1887, and it was
then called the Church of Our Lady of the Rosary. It was ministered to at first by
priests from Anaheim, but later it had its own pastors — notably the Rev. Fathers
Byrne, Grogan and Remhardt. In 1896 the little Church was completely destroyed
by fire. The congregation rebuilt at once, and the new church was dedicated the
same year. After the burning of the first church, the congregation was again attended
from Anaheim, until July, 1903.

After successive pastorates by the Rev. Father Joseph O'Reilly, the Rev. Father
John Reynolds and the Rev. Fathers F. X. Becker and P. Stoeters (under whom the
old debt hanging over the church was paid off), Monsignor Eummelen took charge
in April, 1913. of St. Joseph's congregation, and he not only enlarged the church,
but also the parochial residence. Now, after its enlargement and restoration, the
church's interior presents a fine appearance. The furniture, though not ostentatious,
is very pleasing, and contributes to the devotional spirit characterizing the place,
and among the useful adornments are beautiful "Stations of the Cross" of very large
proportions, painted in oil on canvas, and real works of art. This artistic work was
done in the church building itself by the young Belgian artist, M. Ravenstein, who
received his education in the art schools of Germany and France.

He also built the schoolhouse and established the parochial school. He is now
completing a large addition to the school, which will give an additional seating capacity
for seventy-five pupils. The school and high school are under the supervision of the
Sisters of St. Joseph of Eureka, Cal. Preparing for future growth he has purchased
a block of five acres of land one block north of the present site, on which he plans
to build a new church at a cost of $100,000, then the present church and school build-
ings will be devoted exclusively to the use of the Mexican population of the parish.

During the eight, years Monsignor Eummelen has been in charge, eight girls
from the parish have joined the Sisterhood and two of the young men have become
ecclesiastics, and the Knights of Columbus and kindred church societies are in a very
flourishing condition. The school has been brought to a high standard and is not alone
patronized by members of the congregation but by children from families of other
denominations, who appreciate its high moral standard. It is visited by the county
superintendent of schools, who gives it the highest commendations. He has been
\ery active in the building up of churches and congregations in California, and in this
diocese he has built eight different churches. Monsignor Eummelen also takes an
active part in civic affairs as well as in the growth and development of the county.
Every worthy movement that has for its aim the improvement or upbuilding of the
county receives his hearty cooperation and support. During the late war he took
part in the different drives for Liberty Bonds and other war funds, and was one of
the four-minute speakers. He also organized the Catholic Homeseekers Information
Bureau of the United States, with headquarters in Los .\ngeles. Fraternally, he is a
member of the Knights of Columbus and the Santa Ana Lodge of Elks.

On the occasion of the Jubilee referred to, a poem, by Clarice C. Keefe. entitled
"Pastor Fidelis," was dedicated to the jubilarian, and there were religious ceremonies
at St. Joseph's Church, which began at 10 o'clock in the morning with solemn high
mass. The procession proceeded from the rectory, led by the acolytes with their
lighted candles, while three little girls dressed in white, carried before the jubilarian



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 343

a white velvet cushion, upon which reposed a silver wreatli of the symbolic wheat and
grapes, and the Monsignor entered the church of which he had been the beloved pastor
for two years, attended by the Right Reverend Bishop Conaty and the other clergy.
The wreath was the gift of Father Eummelen's sister. Sister Mary Elizabeth of tlie
Franciscan Convent in Chicago, who with his niece, Sister Mary Stanislaus of Tucson,
were privileged to be present at the Mass. The two small nieces of Father Eumme-
len, Gertrude WiedenhofF and Marie Rudolph, and little Catherine Mallen had the
honor of carrying the wreath. When the three little maidens presented the wreath
they made a pretty poetical address.

Immediately upon entering the sanctuary, the Bishop began the ceremony of
blessing the church, whose present beauty bears witness to the energy and generosity
of its rector. Following the blessing, solemn high mass was sung by Father Eumme-
len, assisted by the Rev. C. M. Raile as deacon, and the Rev. Father Golden as sub-
deacon. Rev. Frank Conaty was master of ceremonies. The Right Reverend Bishop
was attended by the Rev. Father Burelbach and the Rev. Father Hummert as deacons
of honor. Father Theophilus, O. F. M., of St. Joseph's Church, Los Angeles, a boy-



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 41 of 191)