Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 42 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 42 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


hood friend and schoolmate of the jubilarian, preached the sermon, which so eloquently
portrayed Father Eummelen's career during the past twenty-five years. The Rt.
Rev. Thomas J. Conaty, Bishop of Monterey and Los Angeles, followed with another
sermon, and then the litany of the saints was chanted by the clergy, the music being
under the direction of Father Fahey. Before the congregation left the Church, a
committee of men of St. Joseph's Society, consisting of J. M. Maag, J. \V. Hageman
and Henry Cochems, stepped to the railing and presented the Monsignor with a well-
filled purse as a slight token of appreciation from the parish. A banquet followed,
with toasts by L. M. Doyle, Mayor Ey, Father Fahey, Father Burelbach, Father Theo-
philus, Father Dubbel, Dr. Jos. Sarsfield Glass, then pastor of St. Vincent's. Los An-
geles, and now Bishop of Salt Lake, Father Neusius, Bishop Conaty, Judge Thomas of
the superior court. Father Campbell, and the guest of honor, Monsignor Eummelen
himself. The receipt of many telegrams added to the pleasure of the event.

LE'WIS AINSWORTH.— A prominent business man of Orange, whose healthy
influence was felt far beyond the confines of both county and state, was the late
Lewis .Ainsworth. who passed away on March 22, 1914, in the eighty-fifth year of his
age. He was born at Woodbury, Vt., in 1829, and came to Jones County, Iowa, with
his parents when he was sixteen years of age. They made the trip by way of the
rivers and lakes to Illinois, and then continued to Iowa with the aid of teams. In
the Hawkeye State they entered Government land; and with from four to six yoke
(I oxen hitched to a plow broke the prairie and improved their farm. Under this
lowan environment the lad Lewis grew up.

In the stirring year of 1849 Lewis Ainsworth crossed the great plains, with other
Argonauts, in an ox-team train, and having arrived safely in California, mined for a
couple of years. Then, in 1852, he returned East by way of Panama, and on April
24, 1852, was married to Miss Persis Bartholomew, a native of La Moyle, Vt. She
came with her parents to Illinois when she was seven years of age, and located at
Buffalo Grove, now Paola, and two years later the family moved to the neighborhood
of Monticello, Jones County, Iowa. She was the daughter of Daniel Bartholomew,
who died in Iowa, and Augusta (Simmons) Bartholomew, who passed away in Napa
Valley, Cal. Mrs. Ainsworth received a good education in the schools of Vermont,
Illinois and Iowa, and so was a real helpmate to her husband.

The same day of their marriage, Lewis Ainsworth and his bride started across
the plains with a horse team and wagon, on a trip which had been recommended for
her health; and although she left home an invalid, she could walk and was quite well
before the end of the journey. They remained at Jacksonville, Ore., for two years,
and then, in 1856, returned to Iowa by way of Panama. They took the steamer John
L. Stevens from San Francisco to the Isthmus, and the George Law from the Isthmus
to New York; this ship sank on her next trip, with a loss of 365 persons.

Mr. .-\insworth remained on his Iowa farm of 640 acres until 1859. when he again
came to California and brought his wife and two children, traveling via Panama. He
spent ten years at Weaverville, in Trinity County, where he was engaged in mining
and in the wood and timber business, and in 1869 returned to Iowa by the newly-
established railway lines. Once more he took up agriculture on his Iowa farm, but in
1877 he sold the farm, and moved to Glasco. in Cloud County, Kans., and there bought
several sections of land for the growing of corn and raising of cattle and hogs, which
he shipped to the Kansas City markets. In 1888 he removed to Salem, Ore., where he
remained until 1889, when they returned to Kansas; and there, with his sons, he started



344 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

the Ainsworth Bank and ran it until 1900, while he continued to reside there and to
prosecute other business interests.

Mr. Ainsworth had been coming in winter time to Southern California, and in
'900 he moved to Orange, and bought a town home and a block of ground. Soon after
that, with the aid of his children, he started the Ainsworth Lumber Company, and
with the first planing mill there, they made a quick and lasting success. He built the
Ainsworth building, was also a stockholder in the First National Bank of Orange, and
in the Orange Savings Bank, and was both a builder up and an upbuilder of the city
and county. Although never a church member, he was a true Christian, and for over
forty years had been an Odd Fellow.

Mrs. Ainsworth, now eighty-four years of age, has survived her husband, and
is widely esteemed by all who know her. She is a member of the Christian Church
and the Gordon Granger Post, W. R. C, and she continues to reside at the old home
on East Chapman Avenue, where her 'devoted children lighten her labors and shield
her from care. Mr. Ainsworth had made thirteen and a half round trips between
California and Iowa, and Mrs. Ainsworth made eight and a half trips. For many
years she has had the commendable hobby of clipping items of particular interest
from the newspapers and pasting them into scrap books, and in this way she made
two large books of the Spanish-American War. She has also made fourteen of the
World War, besides nine volumes of soldier-boy letters; she began her scrap-book
making in 1877, making one every year, excepting years of war, and has made over
sixty books in all, and it is probable has never had a rival in California. The three
children of Mr. and Mrs. Ainsworth are: Frank L-, Mitt O. and Mrs. Ina Butler, all
residing in Orange.

GEORGE J. MOSBAUGH.— .Among the most interesting personalities of Orange
County must be mentioned that of George J. Mosbaugh, for some time secretary of
the Santa Ana Valley Irrigation Company, and later president of the Commercial
Bank of Santa Ana. He was born in a log house on a farm near Cicero, Hamilton
County, Ind., on May 17, 1840, and was reared on his father's farm. His father was
Conrad Mosbaugh, born in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, where he grew up and
learned the weaver's trade. He was also married there, on September 1, 1836, to
.Anna Maria Brehm, and together, the following year, they started for America. They
were accompanied by Grandfather Joseph Mosbaugh, or Mosbach, and his entire
family. In 1837 they bought land and settled in Hamilton County, Indiana, where
they made a clearing and built a log house, with its mud and stick chimney, from
the native hardwood timber, aflfording them a rude but hospitable home. Joseph Mos-
bach was born at Offstein. Hesse-Darmstadt, in 1775, and was a farmer by occupa-
tion. He married Justina Rasph, who was born in 1781, and they had seven children,
and all came to America in 1837. The name was originally written Mosbach, but about
1848 an uncle named Franz began to write it Mosbaugh, on account of the various
mispronunciations given the name by English-speaking people. Thereafter, the rest
of the kin followed his example. Excepting said uncle, Franz, who was a shoe-
maker, all the Mosbaughs followed farming.

George Mosbaugh attended the district schools in the pioneer days of Indiana,
became a teacher, later a soldier in the Civil W'ar, and after the close of the war
resumed his studies at Boyd's Business College at Louisville, Ky., and later studied
at the State University of Indiana. After graduating there, he became the proprietor
of a commercial college at Terre Haute, Ind., known as the Terre Haute Business
College, and still later became proprietor of the Bloomington, 111., Business College.
But, before entering upon his career as professor in business colleges, his first experi-
ence was as a teacher in the district schools in Hamilton County, Ind. He was
thus engaged in 1862 when he enlisted in the Fifty-first Indiana Volunteer Regiment
under Colonel Streight, but did not enter the service for the reason that the recruiting
failed to raise the necessary quota of men, and the recruiting officer and himself
enlisted as privates in another Indiana regiment. Mr. Mosbaugh then went back to
his public school and finished his term of teaching, and after that became a student
at Bryant's Business College in Indianapolis, Ind. He was engaged in a mercantile
establishment in Indianapolis when in May, 1864, he enlisted in Company D, One
Hundred and Thirty-third Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and he assisted in guarding
the bridge across the Tennessee River, on the Nashville & Chattanooga Railway, and
in doing picket duty at Bridgeport, Ala. He was honorably discharged by reason of
the expiration of the term of his enlistment on September 5, 1864. After that he took '
up business college work and conducted the schools already mentioned.

While he was managing the business college at Bloomington, Mr. Mosbaugh
went to Indianapolis, and on November 25, 1868, was married to Miss Melissa J. Har-
fey, a native of Indiana. She died at Santa .Ana on October 9, 1896, leaving three



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 349

children. Edwin H., who was for many years chief of the Redlands Fire Depart-
ment, is now assistant chief of the department at Riverside; Maude M. is the wife
of Dr. J. F. Galloway, the dentist, at San Pedro; and Marie is bookkeeper for a Sau
Diego automobile and tire company.

Mr. Mosbaugh was married a second time, on May 16, 1900, when Mrs. Emma
(Palmer) Thelan, the widow of the late Charles C. Thelan, became his wife. Mr.
Thelan was a pioneer harness maker of Santa Ana, and they had one child, H. Percy
Thelan, of Santa Ana. She was the daughter of Noah and Susan (Evans) Palmer,
and was born in Santa Clara County, Cal. Mr. Palmer was a native of Lowville,
N. Y., while Mrs. Palmer came from Indiana; and they were married at Laurel,
Franklin County, Ind. Mr. Palmer came overland to California in 1849, leaving his
wife in Indiana, and in 1852 he went back after her. For a while he mined gold at
Placerville, and later Ijf took up a government claim four miles out of Santa Clara,
and became one of Santa Clara's early horticulturists. There were three children
in Mr. and Mrs. Palmer's family: Almira, Mrs. R. E. Hewitt, came to Santa Ana
in 1874, and she and her husband are both now deceased; Emma is the wife of Mr.
Mosbaugh, and Lottie E. resides in Santa .Ana. Mr. Palmer was very prominent in
Santa Ana, where he died on January 10. 1916, preceded some years by his devoted
wife, who had passed away on October 28, 1903. They were very highly honored
people at Santa Ana, Santa Clara and everywhere else where they had lived, and Mr.
Mr. Palmer was an excellent farmer, banker and street railroad builder, and was influ-
ential in political circles, being a stanch Republican.

Mr. Mosbaugh was engaged as bookkeeper for Lockhart and Company at Pitts-
burgh, Pa., for nine years, and became a partner in their business in 1873. Two years
later he came out to California and settled at Orange, May. 1875, where he lived the
first eight and a half years. During this time he developed one of the early orange
orchards at Orange. In order to replenish his purse during the waiting time, he
accepted the secretaryship of the Santa Ana Valley Irrigation Company, and at the
time of the establishing of the Commercial Bank at Santa Ana, in 1882. he became
its first bookkeeper, so that he is able to say, with a smile of satisfaction, "I began
as janitor and bookkeeper, and came out as president." Since 1904, Mr. and Mrs.
Mosbaugh have resided at their commodious residence at 636 North Broadway.

Mr. and Mrs. Mosbaugh attend the Presbyterian Church, and Mr. Mosbaugh
is an active member of Sedgwick Post No. 17, G. A. R.. in Santa .Ana, and has been
adjutant and quartermaster for a number of vears. He is also a member of Santa
Ana Lodge No. 241, F. & A. M.

A few years ago Mr. Mosbaugh prepared a family genealogy, of which he
distributed gratuitously one hundred copies among near-of-kin and intimate friends,
and in that work he placed the following preface:

".Aside from our duty and the gratitude we owe to our Creator, to whom do we
owe our existence? Is it not to our ancestors, through whom God in His infinite
wisdom has given us birth and life? It is wrong for us to say that we do not care for
our ancestors. Besides giving us being, they have given us good government, churches,
schools and colleges, and laid the foundation for the many blessings we are now
enjoying. Let us then keep our family record with pride and reverence. This book-
let is intended as a starting point. It is the hope of the writer that each person
who receives one will continue to keep an accurate record of his or her family, and
will pass it on to coming generations. Read the first seventeen verses of the first
chapter of Matthew, and you will readily see that our forefathers in an early day
kept a better fafnily record than we are now keeping. Lastly. I desire hereby to
express my earnest gratitude to all those who assisted me by furnishing names, dates
or information for the completion of this booklet."

Mr. Mosbaugh has always b'een punctilious, prompt, and most conscientious in
all his business affairs, and this in part explains his success in life; he has also been
fond of poetry and other idealistic things, and this reflects his inner character. The
following are among his favorite selections of poems:

"If with pleasure you are viewing any work a man is doing.
If you like him or you love him, tell him now:
Don't withold your approbation 'till the parson makes oration,
.And he lies with snowy lilies o'er his brow.

No matter how you shout about it, he won't really care about it;
He won't know how many tear-drops you have shed.
If you think some praise is due him. now's the time to slip it to him.
For he cannot read his tombstone when he's dead.



350 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

"More than fame, and more than money,
Is the comment, kind and sunny,
And the hearty, warm approval of a friend.

For it gives to life a savor, and it makes you stronger, braver,
And it gives you heart and spirit to the end;

If he craves your praise — bestow it; if you like him, let him knov
Let the words of true encouragement be said.
Do not wait till life is over, and he's underneath the clover,
For he cannot read his tombstone when he's dead."



"I take it as I go along
That life must have its gloom,
That now and then the sound of song «
Must fade from every room;
That every heart must know its woe,
Each door death's sable sign.
Care falls to everyone, and so
I strive to bear with mine.

"Misfortune is a part of life;
No one who journeys here
Can dodge the bitterness of strife
Or pass without a tear.
Love paves the way for us to mourn.
Our pleasures treed regret.
One day a sparkling joy is born.
The next — our eyes are wet.

"Each life is tinctured with a pain
Of sorrow and of care.

And now and then come clouds and rain.
Come hours of despair.
And yet the sunshine bursts anew,
And those who weep shall smile.
For joy is always breaking through
In just a little while."

GEORGE W. BUCHANAN.— A man who has really had much to do with
the building up of the town of Orange is George W. Buchanan, since the spring of
1914 superintendent of city strets. He was born in Lafayette township, Medina
County, Ohio, on February 13, 1863, the grandson of Samuel and Nancy (Wilson)
Buchanan, natives, respectively, of Washington County, Pa., and Brooke County, Va.,
and representatives of fine old Southern stock. They had a son, George C. Buchanan,
the father of our subject, who was born in Wellsburg, Va., and became a carpenter
and builder, and also owned a farm in Lafayette township. On October 12, 1854, he
war married to Miss Lydia Carlton, a native of Ohio, where she was born in 183S, the
daughter of John and Catherine (Amon) Carlton. In 1864 he enlisted in the Civil
War and serve'd as a member of Company D. One Hundred Sixty-sixth Regiment,
Ohio National Guard. In the fall of 1910 they came to California and spent over a year
in Orange, the father dying in June, 1914, and the mother in July, 1914. The other
child of their union is now Mrs. Ida F. Moody of Long Beach.

George W. Buchanan, the younger child, was educated in the grammar schools
of his district, and at the Medina high school in Ohio. He then learned the car-
penter trade under Henry Prouty, and followed that and farming until his marriage
on May 24, 1885. This occurred at Lafayette Township, and his bride was Miss
Susan E. Chamberlain, a native of that district, and the daughter of John Chamber-
lain, who was born in Greenfield. N. H., on June 25. 1829. His father was Abraham
Chamberlain, a native of Vermont, where he was born in 1792, who had married
Mary Clark, born in 1791. with whom, and their family, he migrated in an ox-cart
from Greenfield to Westfield Township, Medina County. Ohio. As there were seven
children in the fold, it was quite an undertaking. At Westfield Abraham Chamberlain
■purchased land in the solid timber and hewed out a farm. In 1856 John Chamberlain
was married to Mary Devereaux, who was born in 1830 in Oswego County, N. Y., the
daughter of John and Mehitable (Craw") Devereaux. John Chamberlain and his wife
were very successful farmers, and owned a farm of 280 acres in Lafayette Township,
where they were hig'hly respected.



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 351

Of the three children in the Chamberlain family, Susan E. is the only one living
who completed her education in the Medina high school. She is not only a cultured
woman, but she has been favored with much business acumen, so that she has proven
a valuable helpmate to her husband. They farmed together on the old John Chamber-
lain place, improving the farm and meeting with such success that they had it
almost entirely tilled when they sold it in 1904. The last three years of their life in
Ohio they resided in their comfortable residence at the cou-nty seat, Medina.

In 1904 Mr. and Mrs. Buchanan came to sunnier California, and for ten months
resided at Redlands. During this time they looked around carefully, and finally, after
due deliberation, selected Orange as the best of all places for a home. Mr. Buchanan
purchased lots and built his beautiful residence at 192 North Shafifer Street.

For a time Mr. Buchanan followed building, and was superintendent of the work
of erecting the Carnegie Library at Orange; he was also the inspector in charge of
the building of the first big reservoir for the Orange City Waterworks. In 1909 he
was appointed a trustee of the city of Orange to fill the vacancy caused by the resigna-
tion of R. C. Dalton, and for fifteen months served his fellow-citizens with singular
ability and fidelity. He was chairman of the street committee at the time when the
street improvements began in Orange, and later he provided the necessary data for
the construction of a sewer three miles long, and watched over the building of this
extensive work until it was all completed.

In May, 1914, Mr. Buchanan was appointed superintendent of streets, for which
responsibility he was abundantly equipped, and since then he has had charge of all
street building and improvement. He is also plumbing inspector, and inspector of
electric wiring and sewer connections.

Two children came to add happiness to Mr. and Mrs. Buchanan, and to do honor
to a long-honored family name. Stacy M., assistant teller in the First National Bank
in Los Angeles, served his country in Company E, One Hundred Forty-third Field
.Artillery. Forty-third Division, which went overseas. Mildred became Mrs. Osman
Pi.xley, and resides at Orange. The family attend the First Methodist Episcopal
Church of Orange, where Mr. Buchanan is a member of the board of trustees. In
national politics Mr. Buchanan is a standpat Republican. Fraternally, he is a member
of the K. O. T. M., and Mrs. Buchanan is a member of the L. O. T. M.

FRANK L. AINSWORTH— A successful man of business and finance, whose
positive moral influence is felt in notable movements for the betterment of the city
or county, is Frank L. Ainsworth, former president of the board of trustees, or mayor,
of Orange. He was born in Monticello, Jones County, Iowa, in 1858, the son of Lewis
Ainsworth, who had married Miss Persis Bartholomew. When he was one year old,
Frank L. was brought by his parents to California, by way of the Isthmus of Panama,
and reared at Weaverville until he was eleven years old; but in 1869 the family returned
to Iowa, this time traveling in one of the first transcontinental trains- He thus attended
school in California and Iowa, and was for a while a student at the Monticello High
School. In 1878 the Ainsworth family moved to Cloud County, Kans., and Mr. Ains-
,vorth engaged in farming and stock raising near Glasco. Ten years later they all
moved to Salem, Ore., and there, for two years, Frank was employed as teller in the
Ladd & Bush Bank. In 1890 he resigned and returned to Kansas with the rest of the
family; and with his father, brother and sister he started the Ainsworth Bank of Glasco,
taking the position of cashier. When the bank was incorporated as the Glasco State
Bank he continued as its cashier, until 1900.

In that year, at the dawn of the new century, Mr. Ainsworth followed the lure
of California and located at Orange; and, wishing out-door work, in connection with
his father and brother-in-law, F. W. Butler, he established a lumber business. They
opened up in 1902, constructed the first planing mill, started the first lumber yard
at Orange, and soon did a very flourishing business. The firm name was the .'Mnsworth
& Butler Lumber Company, which later became the Ainsworth Lumber and Milling
Company, and it stood for reliability in every particular. In 1903 M. O. Ainsworth, a
brother, bought out Butler's interests in the business. In 1914 the .-Mnsw-orths sold
out their lumber interests, and since then Frank L. has been engaged in ranching.
He is the owner of an orange and a walnut orchard near Santa .\na, and is a
stockholder in and vice-president and director of the National Bank of Orange: is also
a stockholder in the Orange Savings Bank and in the First National Bank of
Santa Ana-
While in Kansas Mr. Ainsworth was married to Miss Emma Hostetler, a native
of Pennsylvania, whose parents were early settlers of the Garden of the West- They
have three children living. Allie is now Mrs. Gearhart, of Los Angeles; Mae has
become Mrs. Burkett, of Orange, and Marjorie is at home.



352 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

Mr. and Mrs. Ainsworth and family have a fine residence on East Chapman
Avenue. They attend the First Christian Church of Orange, in which for years Mr.
Ainsworth has been prominent as an elder; was superintendent of the Sunday school
for fifteen years, and has been a member of the Southern California Missionary Board.
He joined the Odd Fellows lodge at Glasco. Kans., and is still a member there. Mr.
Ainsworth is a Republican in matters of national politics, and a member of the Re-
publican Central Committee- of Orange County; he was a trustee of the city of Orange
for four years, the last two years being president of the board of trustees. He is
intensely interested in every enterprise for the improvement and growth of Orange
County, and Orange and Orange County may well be congratulated upon such citizens
as Frank L. Ainsworth, public-spirited to the core.

CONWAY GRIFFITH.— A much-loved and admired artist of the present gifted
colony at Laguna Beach is the pioneer, Conway Griffith, who is fond of God's great
outdoors, and while on the range in New Mexico in his early days, got to know the
West as it really is. He was born in Clark County, at Springfield, Ohio, the son of C.
W. Griffith, who was a manufacturer in that city. He had married Miss Catherine
Conway, a native daughter of Virginia, who maintained the tradition of her family
by living to the ripe old age of seventy-four.

As a boy. Conway was devoted to art, and in time he was an instructor for years
in the School of Design at Cincinnati, teaching a special method of painting on china.
He had the first establishment in America where the china ware was baked in a spe-
cially-built kiln. His health was poor, however, so he decided to strike out for the
West. With a chum he spent a number of years in Mexico and Colorado, and became
heavily interested in ranches and cattle. He accomplished something more than to ride
the range, however, for he profited by the opportunity there, and at Denver, to study
landscape painting. He was also in old Mexico for eighteen months, and there invested



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 42 of 191)