Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 43 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 43 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


in stock. When he sold out, it was to celebrate the regaining of his health.

In 1898 he made a short visit to California, stopping at Riverside and Colton, but
did not stay, however, until 1904, when he came to Los Angeles from New Mexico.
He had always been fond of marine painting, hence he soon set up his studio at Cata-
lina, where he remained for four years, off and on, returning frequentl}' to the inain-
land, and sketching to his heart's content. Since the spring of 1906, however, Mr.
Griffith has been established at Laguna Beach, finding, as others have, that this
locality has charms and advantages nowhere else hereabouts to be enjoyed. On
account of his long residence here. Mr. Griffith is recognized as the pioneer artist of
Laguna Beach; but he also makes annual trips to the mountains and desert for the
purpose of sketching.

Mr. Griffith's brother, A. H. Griffith — at whose home the mother made her home
until her death — is a noted art critic of Detroit, so that our subject seems to have
come to his own talents very naturally. As a self-taught artist, he has an individual
interpretation which is much appreciated by the admirers of his work. He is a regular
contributor to the art exhibits at Los Angeles and San Francisco, and is a member
of the California Art Association, and a charter member of the Laguna Beach Art
Association. He also belongs to the Laguna Beach Chamber of Commerce, and in
national political affairs is a Republican.

SIMEON TUCKER. — One of the substantial citizens of the community whose
increasing interests in Mexican lands has by no means diminished his enthusiasm for
Orange County and its future prospects, is Simeon Tucker, who was born in Stockton,
To Daviess County. 111., on June 1. 1847. His father was F. L. Tucker, a native of
Green Mountain. N. Y., who settled in Illinois about 1835, and was a pioneer merchant
at Stockton, when he had the post office on his farm, and he had to haul things to and
from Galena. In 1859 or 1860 the elder Tucker set out across the plains for California;
and arriving in Tuolumne County, he tried his fortune at mining. And there he died,
in March, 1884, esteemed by those who knew him in his rugged Americanism. He
had married Miss Marcia Hunt, a native of the Nutmeg State, but she died in Illinois.
She was the mother of six children, among whom Simeon, the youngest, is now the
only one living.

Brought up at Stockton, Simeon attended the Illinois district school, and for some
years assisted his father on the farm and in the store. In January. 1874. having come
out to California, he worked on a fruit ranch at Shaw's Flat, at thirty dollars a month,
after which he peddled fruit. In 1875 he came to Westminster, then in Los Angeles.
now in Orange County, and buying a ranch he engaged in general farming, raising
hogs and hominy.

When he sold out, at the end of five years, Mr. Tucker came to Anaheim, and in
1881 bought a place in the same district, but one mile below. He put in a vineyard, and



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 353

two years later it died. Then he set out St. Michael and Mediterranean sweet oranges,
and otherwise considerably improved the place. Later he traded it for a ranch in the
Newhall Mountains in Los Angeles County. He went into the hotel business at San
Francisquito Canyon, and the large stone building he then acquired is still standing.

In the meantime, having thirty-four acres in East Anaheim, he bought forty acres
more, all raw land, with cactus and other brushwood covering the surface. He
cleared the land, leveled it, drove out the rabbits and gophers, and in many ways
agreeably improved it; and then he raised orange trees from seed, and budded them
to superior Valencias. He sunk wells, installed an engine and had a tine pumping plant.
He devoted forty acres to oranges, and he was the first to set out oranges in this
district. In 1914 he also set out twenty-five acres of lemons. He raised much alfalfa,
and now he not only has an electrical pumping plant for himself, but he supplies water
to seventy-five acres belonging to other ranchers.

In addition to his valuable California holdings, Mr. Tucker owns two sections of
land in Sonera, Mexico, and he has a stock ranch of 18,000 acres at Hermosillo in
the same state.

In 1881 Mr. Tucker was married at Anaheim to Mrs. Lizette (Parker) Beckington,
a native of Marengo, McHenry County, 111., and the daughter of Leonard Parker. She
came to California in 1871 and settled with a brother at Anaheim, and later her parents
bought land in the East Anaheim district, near Madame Modjeska's home. In 1908
Mr. Tucker built a new, handsome residence. One son. Earl Robert, who was born on
the first ranch they had, has blessed this fortunate union; he married Miss Laura
Lensing, a native of Missouri, and assists his father. Mrs. Tucker has a daughter by
her former marriage, Mrs. Lottie Bush.

Mr. Tucker has always, both as a genuine American and as a Socialist, been
interested, not merely in building up a community, but in the more difficult, more
important work of upbuilding as well; and when he lived near Newhall he served with
satisfaction to all as a school trustee.

JAMES HARVEY GULICK.— A most interesting illustration of keeping one's
family tree record so that it may become a contribution to history, is afforded by
James Harvey GulicTc, who can trace his ancestry back to good old pre-Revolutionary
stock. Henry Gulick was a captain of the Second Regiment of Hunterdon County,
N. J., in the Revolutionary War. He married Mary Williamson of that county, and
of their several children one, a son, Nicholas Gulick, of New Jersey and New York,
served a part of his time with his father's command. He married Elizabeth Gano, also
of those two states. She was of Huguenot stock, and one of their children was William
Gano Gulick, of Clark County, Ind., and Cincinnati, Ohio. He married Sarah Adams,
and their son was named Martin Nicholas Guli?;k. He married Eleanor Welch in
Clark County, Ind., 1841, and the same year moved to Macoupin County, 111. After
living on his farm at Plainview for more than fifty years he came to Tustin, Orange
County, Cal., and died in 1900.

Their son, James Harvey Gulick, was born at Plainview, 111., June 18. 1844, and
there he attended the district school and lived with his parents on the liome farm.
After the Civil War broke out, he enlisted in Company A, One Hundred Twenty-second
Illinois \'olunteer Infantry, and served in the West, as some called it at that time,
and the last half of his service under that intrepid leader, Andrew Jackson Smith,
commanding the Sixteenth Corps. He was in spirited engagements in Tennessee,
Alabama, and Mississippi; was in action at Parkers' Cross Roads, Tenn., and Tupelo,
Miss., and present at Nashville, Tenn., and Fort Blakelv, Ala. He received his dis-
charge July 15, 1865.

After returning to the Illinois home, Mr. Gulick attended the best business college
in St. Louis, and then taught school in several counties in western Missouri. On
December 6, 1868, he was married in Appleton, Bourbon County, Kans., to Miss Laura
Jane Palmer, the daughter of William and Mary Palmer, of Greenbush, Warren County,
111. A forbear of Mrs. Palmer. Walter Palmer, came from England in 1629, and her
father from New York, and her mother from Ohio. They lived in Chickasaw County,
Iowa, during the Civil War, and in 1865 moved to Bourbon County, Kans. Mr. Gulick
went to Wilson County, Kans., in 1869, and took up 160 acres of government land,
to which he added 240 more, which he devoted to grain and stock.

On removing further west to California in the "boom" year 1887, Mr. Gulick came
directly to what is now Orange County and for a while he and his family lived in the
Greenville district. Then they removed to Villa Park; in 1893 he sold that farm and
moved to the Richfield section, where he purchased 107 acres. Seventy of these he
set out to walnuts and the rest in various crops. After nineteen years there, however,
he disposed of that holding and came to Santa Ana. Here he purchased a home at
1702 Spurgeon Street, where he has resided ever since. Ten children, eleven grand-



354 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

children and four great-grandchildren have called this worthy couple blessed. William
Nicholas married Mrs. Julia Scovil and is living in Tustin; Mary Eleanor died in in-
fancy; Phillip Frederick passed away at the age of nineteen; Fanny Ethel married
William Wagner of Long Beach; Lena May married William L. Hewitt of Santa
Ana; Arthur Quinn married Jessie M. Lough and is living at Fullerton; Winnie Hope
also died in infancy; Laura Helen married William Huntley of Tustin; James Mark
married May Wiley and they reside at Hemet; George Asbury married Maggie Forbes
and they live at Tustin. Mr. Gulick belongs to the Sons of the Revolution at Los
Angeles, and those that are interested in Gulick genealogy are invited to inspect a
fifty-page manuscript on file in the library of that order in Los Angeles.

WILLIAM M. SMART. — Highly esteemed as a member of a distinguished family
of Santa Ana, the late William M. Smart, was interesting as a gentleman long foremost
in movements for the educational and intellectual advancement of the community. He
was born at Xenia, Ohio, September 29, 1848, a son of Rev. James P. and Elizabeth
(McClellan) Smart. Reverend Smart served as a pastor of the United Presbyterian
Church near Xenia for twenty-two years, or until his death. W. M. Smart was given
a good public school education and afterwards attended the Xenia Seminary, after
which he was for years engaged in the coal business at Xenia with his brother John,
until he sold out to him to come to California.

In 1887 he arrived in Santa Ana and for a time served as secretary of the Mc-
Fadden Lumber Company, later he was for two years secretary of the Santa Ana Valley
Irrigation Company, and from 1901 until 1914, up to the time of his death, he served as
secretary and manager of the Santiago Fruit Growers Association. Mr. Smart had
been a member of the Santa Ana board of education and of the library board, giving
freely of his services when the present building was erected. In politics he was a
Republican in national affairs, but most nonpartisan when it came to putting his
shoulder to the wheel and working for the best candidates making for local improve-
ments. He was a member of the United Presbyterian Church and lived an exemplary
Christian life.

The marriage of W. M. Smart, on October 31, 1882, at Xenia, Ohio, united him
with Miss Lydia C. the daughter of William and Mary (Collins) Anderson, substantial
farmer folk of the Buckeye State. She was educated in the public schools of Xenia
and in Ohio Central College at Iberia, an institution now of national repute on account
of President-elect Harding having been a student there. To Mr. and Mrs. Smart six
children were born: Mary A., is • recognized as a professional photographer and is
proprietor of the Mary Smart Studio, Santa Ana; Janet, is the wife of Henry L. Thomp-
son of Moline, 111., and the mother of a son, Carson F. ; Fannie M., is a teacher in the
public schools of Bisbee, Ariz.; James P., who married Miss Loraine Scott, is a rancher
in Oregon, and he was formerly in Y. M. C. A. work in Los Angeles for years; he has
two children — Margaret and James P., Jr.; William A., is connected with the Oregon
State Agricultural College at Corvallis; and Carson M., is a surveyor and civil engineer
in the employ of the city of Los Angeles. William A., and Carson M. were in the
United States service during the World War, the former as a second lieutenant of
heavy artillery and in line for promotion when the armistice was declared. Carson M.
reached France, but did not see active service. Mrs. Smart had the honor of serving
on the Santa Ana Board of Education at the time when the Polytechnic was built, and
she also is a member of the United Presbyterian Church. William M. Smart passed
away on October 11, 1914, mourned by a large circle of friends in Orange County.

ADONIRAM JUDSON SANDERS.— The memory of a worthy, self-sacrificing and
attaining pioneer such as the late Adoniram Judson Sanders, known by all his friends
as plain Judson, is not likely soon to be forgotten, especially when his esteemed widow,
herself one of the oldest settlers in these parts is following in his steps. He was born
in Yarmouth, N. S., and came of English and Scotch descent; and there he was reared
and received his education in the local schools. In his youth he showed a natural
aptitude as a mechanic and he, therefore, followed the machinist's trade. Later, he
came out to Minnesota, locating at Le Sueur, where he followed his trade, and it was
there in December, 1865, he was married to Miss Elizabeth McPherson, who was born
in Chaumont, Jefferson County, N. Y., the daughter of Hugh McPherson, born in
New Hampshire, but of Scotch descent. The McPherson family were among the first
settlers in the Granite State, and Grandfather William McPherson served in the Revo-
lutionary War. Hugh McPherson was a captain in the New Hampshire State Militia,
and was also a farmer; and he followed agriculture when he removed to Chaumont Bay,
N. Y. He married Betsy Butterfield, a native of New Hampshire, and the grand-
daughter of Peter Butterfield, who was of English descent and also served in the
Revolution. Mr. and Mrs. Hugh McPherson were Presbyterians, and died at the old




.;^^.*:iC...^,^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 357

home farm at Chaumont, N. Y. They had thirteen chil.l.en, and Mrs. Sanders was the
youngest and is the only one now living. She completed her education at Watertown
Academy, and looks back to those girlhood days, in northern New York, as among the
happiest of her long career.

After his marriage, Mr. Sanders followed his trade in Minnesota, and in 1873, they
came out to California and purchased a ranch two miles east of Orange, where they
resided for thirty-six years. The land was a raw cactus and brush patch when they
first took hold; but they cleared it and brought it under cultivation, although for the
first five years they had very little water. They set out a vineyard of muscat grapes,
and soon enjoyed the credit of making among the finest raisins in the vicinity. Indeed,
a Los Angeles grocer selected some of their raisins as the best obtainable hereabouts
and sent them on to President and Mrs. Cleveland.

Then came the grape disease and killed the vines, after which, they put in a second
vineyard, but this also died after the first crop. They then gave up the vineyard, and
began setting out oranges and walnuts, and in time they had groves bearing splendidly.
After operating the ranch for thirty-six years, they sold out and moved into Orange.

Here they purchased the residence in which Mrs. Sanders now resides, and where,
in November, 1914, he died, aged about seventy-eight years, an exemplary man in all
his habits and a consistent Christian. While living on this ranch at McPherson, they
purchased 1,000 acres of land near Murietta, which they devoted to stock raising and
grain farming; but this ranch was also sold after Mr. Sanders' death.

Two children testify to the ideal marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Sanders: Will Hugh
Sanders is a well-known operator in the L,os Angeles realty world, and Frank .A.
■Sanders is ranching at Paso Robles. Mrs. Sanders has four grandchildren and one
great-grandchild. She is a member of the Presbyterian Church at Orange. For years
she was a member of the Ebell Club; and, as was her patriotic husband, Mrs. Sanders
is a stanch Republican.

JOHN F. PATTERSON.— .\niong the esteemed citizens of Westminster, Orange
County, Cal., is John F. Patterson, the successful pioneer merchant and oldest business
man in continuous business life at Westminster.

A native of Brook County, Va., he was born a few miles north of Wheeling, W. Va.,
April 14, 1851, and when two years old had the misfortune to lose his mother. When
he was nine years of age his father, W. J. Patterson, came to California and located on
the Feather River in Butte County, twenty miles above Marysville, where John F.
grew to maturity. The father engaged in the freighting business and ran an eight-mule
team, hauling freight to the mines in Plumas County, Virginia City, Nev., Black Rock,
Idaho, and other places. The only child by his father's first marriage, John F. was
educated in the schools of Butte County near Biggs. He later attended Heald's Busi-
ness College at San Francisco, where he pursued a general commercial course. While a
mere boy he worked several years for Maj. Marion Biggs, in Butte County, Cal., the
large stockman and owner of an 800-acre ranch. Afterwards he joined his father in
the sheep business and they owned a flock of 2,000 sheep. Then with his father and
three half-brothers he went to Abilene, Texas, to engage in the sheep business. He
was taken ill and returned to California, going to Los Angeles. The father died at
Los Angeles at the age of ninety. John F. engaged with Roth, Blum and Company,
provision dealers of San Francisco, as traveling salesman for the territory of Southern
California, and remained with the firm five years. Afterward he came to Westminster
and opened a grocery store in 1889, buying a new stock of groceries from Hellman,
Haas & Company, of Los Angeles. Since then he has been the proprietor of several
stores, and ran a general merchandise store, dealing in flour, hay, grain, etc. He was
manager of the flour and feed business for awhile, but has mainly functioned as
proprietor. At present he is proprietor of a flour, hay, grain, mill feed and fuel store.

Mr. Patterson's marriage was solemnized at Westminster, and united him with Miss
Virginia Carlyle of Westminster, daughter of H. W. Carlyle, pioneer rancher, who
came to California from Independence, Mo. Mr. Patterson owns the two acres upon
which he built his residence, and has been active in the civic life of Westminster,
donating the right-of-way for the Southern Pacific Railway through Westminster.
Ex-Governor George C. Perkins was a warm personal friend of both Mr. Patterson
and his father, and Mr. Patterson cast his first vote in California for governor for Mr.
Perkins. Politically Mr. Patterson is a Democrat, and fraternally he is a member and
past grand of the I. O. O. F., and recalls attending grand lodge once when Reuben D.
Lloyd was grand master. Manly, honorable and public spirited, matters that concern
the welfare of his home town receive his interested support, and his disinterested eflforts
for the community's betterment have won for him many warm personal friends and the
respect of his fellow-citizens.



358 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

MRS. ADELHEID KONIG-SCHULTE.— To know Mrs. Adelheid Konig-Schulte,
is to fully appreciate her talents and worth. As one of the pioneer women of Orange
County she has been identified with its development for over fifty years, during which
time she made Anaheim her home. A native of Hungary, she came to the United
States during her girlhood, with her father and stepmother and three brothers. After
the death of her mother she was reared in the home of an aunt in Vienna.

Mrs. Schulte is a lady of culture and has many varied accomplishments; the walls
of her home are decorated with oil paintings of her own handiwork and as a vocalist
of more than local renown she appeared in public before audiences in Los Angeles
many times, also has been on the program for vocal solos at the entertainments given
by the Calumet Club in their hall in that city at one time appearing before an audience
of 600 and singing in three languages, as well as appearing at other prominent gather-
ings on many occasions. Besides these varied accomplishments she is par-excellence in
domestic science, serving one year studying and demonstrating, and excels in both
plain and fancy baking. One cake baked by her and donated to the Catholic fair at
Anaheim sold for thirty-six dollars.

As stated, Mrs. Schulte came to the New World with her father, Henry Eichler.
and his second wife in 1866, first locating at Cairo, 111., where they joined her uncle.
From there Mrs. Schulte came to California, in the following year with her aunt,
locating in San Francisco, where these two ladies embarked in business, dealing in
dry goods and millinery. They carried on a very profitable business until the earth-
quake of 1868, which destroyed their building. From San Francisco she came to Los
Angeles in 1869, and it was here that she met, and that same year was united in mar-
riage with William Konig. He was born in Hanover in 1832 and was there reared and
educated and also learned the art of wine making, serving an apprenticeship of seven
years, after which he was employed at the trade for several years in Hamburg. He
later came from that city by way of Cape Horn to San Francisco and from there to Los
Angeles, where he found employment at his trade.

Immediately after their marriage in 1869 Mr. and Mrs. Konig came to Anaheim
and made a permanent location. Here Mr. Konig purchased twenty acres of land de-
voted to a vineyard, erected a winery and carried on a very profitable and growing
business, having one of the largest wineries in this section, which was then Los Angeles
County. They shipped wine in carload lots to various places in the United States and
even to Europe. Much of their product was kept and sold to be used for medicinal
purposes. Mrs. Konig was a true helpmate and worked with him picking grapes in the
field with the Indians and also assisted him with the manufacture of the wine. They
both labored hard to accumulate a competency and as a result became owners of some
very valuable property. Mrs. Konig erected a bath house in .Anaheim at a cost of
$6,000 which she leased, and where steam electric and mineral baths were given. She
presented the bell that marks the old El Camino Real, which was dedicated with
appropriate ceremonies February 5, 1911, and to commemorate the donor her name is
inscribed on a brass plate in front of the column supporting the bell; by virtue of this
gift she holds a life membership in the El Camino Real Association, which has done
so much to perpetuate historical features and for the betterment of the roadways in
the state. When the public library was secured for Anaheim, this public-spirited woman
donated one of the two lots for its site, and was a liberal contributor towards the
building of every church in that city. She was one of the organizers and a large stock-
holder in the German-.\merican Bank, now the Guaranty Trust and Savings Bank, in
Los Angeles. Both Mr. and Mrs. Konig were reared in the Lutheran Church.

Mr. Konig was an invalid for many years and his wife proved herself an excellent
manager, for she was the means of adding to their holdings of property as well as
improving them, thus adding to their value. They were both very generous and recog-
nized as being among the most liberal citizens of Orange County. Mr. Konig died on
April 1, 1911, at the age of seventy-nine years. On February 22, 1917, Mrs. Konig
became the wife of Anton Schulte and they lived in Anaheim one year, then on account
of the ill health of Mrs. Schulte, they moved to South Pasadena where they have a
fine home on Diamond Avenue and dispense a generous hospitality. Mr. Schulte is an
Iowa pioneer, having lived in that state for forty-eight years and where he achieved
prominence as an official and public-spirited man, always striving to do what he con-
sidered his duty. He came to California in 1914 and ever since then has booked a
permanent residence for himself in Southern California. He is a member of the
Knights of Pythias and of Anaheim Lodge No. 1345, B. P. O. Elks. With Mrs.
Schulte, he eniovs a wide circle of friends.




^^uuIH)



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 361

FRED G. AND ELIZABETH TAYLOR.— A distinguished American couple of
Santa Ana, liighly esteemed by all who know them, and especially admired for their
many sterling qualities, are Fred G. and Elizabeth Taylor, who established the nucleus
of "Taylor's," now so noted throughout Orange County, in Santa Ana many years ago.
Mr. Taylor was born in Chicago, 111., in 1847, the son of John Otis Taylor, a native of
New York, who came west to Chicago and as early as 1852 located in Freeport,
Stephenson County, 111., where he was successful as a pioneer business man. He died
about 1900, survived by his widow, whose maiden name had been- Harriet Eames, and
who also died at Freeport. They were the parents of five children: J. B. Taylor, a
prominent business man and manufacturer in Freeport and founder and owner of



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 43 of 191)