Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 44 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 44 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Taylor's Driving Park at Freeport, died in that city; Hobart H. was a very prominent
business man in various lines; he belonged to the Freeport firm of Taylor and Wise,
grain operators, and as one of the founders of the Elgin Watch Company, had a part of
that watch's mechanism, the H. H. Taylor Movement, named for him. He was also
interested in .Quitman, Taylor and Company, of Mansfield, Ohio, manufacturers of
threshing machines, and in the Nichols and Shepherd Company at Battle Creek. Mich.,
which manufactures the "\'ibrator" thresher; he was a banker and a philanthropist, and
a Republican inflential and prominent in northern Illinois: and he died at Chicago, aged
only forty-two years, already rated a millionaire. Charles A. Taylor, another inventor,
was a trunk manufacturer of that city and died there. Louise H. makes her home at
Freeport, and there is Fred G. Taylor, the subject of our sketch.

He was educated in the public schools of Freeport and at the military school at
F'ulton, 111., and for thirty-four years made his home in Freeport, where he was asso-
ciated with his brother, J. B. Taylor, in the management of Taylor's Driving Park. As
:i boy he saw the stirring events leading up to the Civil War, and it is interesting tc
hear him relate the incidents connected with the day of the great Lincoln-Douglas
debate in Freeport in 1856 — how the people came for a hundred miles by teams, in
wagons and on horseback to witness the literary duel that has gone down in history; and
as a boy he had the good fortune to be near the speaker's platform, and to see and hear
the great emancipator at close range. During the war he was too young for service,
but tried four dififerent times to enlist, each time being rejected on account of his age
and small stature.

In Illinois Mr. Taylor married Miss Elizabeth Sharp, a native of Yorkshire,
England, and the daughter of William and Martha (Jackson) Sharp. Her mother died
in Yorkshire and her father brought his three children, two sons and the little daughter,
to Rockford, 111., but also passed on soon afterwards. Mrs. Taylor was reared partly
in the East, where she had the advantage of splendid educational institutions, until her
marriage to Mr. Taylor, a union that has proven very fortunate and happy. Her two
brothers reside in Santa Ana, and one of them, Harwood, served in the Twenty-sixth
Illinois \'olunteer Infantry from 1861 until the close of the Civil War, participating in
numerous severe battles, and took part in all the engagements of his regiment during
the Georgia campaign — from Atlanta to the sea.

Desiring to remove to California, Mr. and Mrs. Taylor came out to the Coast in
1885 and located on a ranch at Orange, where they resided until, at the end of six
months, they located on one near Santa Ana. There they raised deciduous fruits.
Northern Illinois is noted among other things for the skill of its housewives in domestic
service, and Mrs. Taylor had no superior among them all. Her home always abounded
in hospitality, and the excellence of her cooking was often commented upon, and she
received especial praise for her fine preserves and canned fruits. After coming to
California, and wishing to establish her two sons in business, she conceived the idea
of putting up California fruit for sale in the East, and it was her aim to send out only
fruit of the finest quality.

The beginning of the business was quite modest, the plant consisting of the cook-
stove in the family kitchen, and during the first year, 1892, she shipped three hundred
pounds of fruit to Freeport, 111., where it found ready sale. The second year the "plant"'
was increased by the addition of a gasoline stove, and the business was doubled, the
entire shipment also going to Freeport. Soon they began to get calls for the delicious
products from other cities, and the third year they put up and shipped a carload of
fruit. About this time, their son, J. E. Taylor, went East in the interest of the Inisincss.
and the shipments increased year by year, until they reached 100 tons in 1901, and that
increase has been getting greater with each season. Sales are made all over the United
States and Canada, from coast to coast, and the fruit is shipped direct to the residences
of those so ordering. Indeed, before the war, shipments were also made to Europe and
the islands of the Pacific.



362 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

The first cannery was built in 1894, a very small building, and many additions
were made, and also a new building erected, as necessity required; and now there is a
large, fireproof, concrete building for the main plant, with every appointment most
modern and convenient. Visitors to the cannery always find much to attract their
attention and hold their interest, and they are especially impressed with the cleanliness
in every department. The washing and paring and cooking departments are kept just
as clean as are the scalded jars into which the preserves are poured. They used gasoline
stoves until they ha.d thirty-seven four-burner stoves, and then they changed to elec-
tricity, using 120 electric stoves, and now they use gas burners for making pickles and
steam for cooking the fruit.

The fruit is boiled in porcelain graniteware, after it has gone through a systematic
process of washing, paring and rewashing; jams and marmalades of all kinds are
manufactured, and also peach mangoes, Ug, peacn, apricot and pear pickles, brandied
peaches, pears, grapes, fig and English walnut pickles. All fruit is put up in heavy
sugar syrup; and of late years, owing to the heavy increase in their business, they have
been obliged to have fruit shipped in from the north, as the local market is not suflicient
for their needs. They employ about ISO hands. They also have a large ice and cold
storage plant, one of the finest in the state, and manufacture ice for even the wholesale

trade. Up till a couple of years ago the firm was J. E. Taylor and C iMi;\, with J. E.

and Fred H. at the head of the management, when J. E. Taylor sul-, - , i. > t to the
rest of the family, at the same time removing to San Luis Oln-, '. ,. , .md the
owners then incorporated the business under the firm name, "Taylu^^," wiili Ired H.
Taylor as president and manager, and this firm has become celebrated in fruit circles
all over the country.

Indeed, those who are experts in judging fruit assert that the products of the
cannery have no superior in any part of the United States, and that they have reached a
point where improvement is practically impossible. .-Ml these years Mrs. Taylor has
personally superintended the manufacture of the products, giving them her personal
attention, and insisting on the same care and cleanliness as in the old days of the
cookstove, and she has every reason to be proud of the commercial results, as well as
of her husband and the two sons and daug.hter, who stood by her so bravely through
all the various evolutions of the important industry. It is an interesting fact that the
business has grown to its present large proportions without the company ever having
resorted to advertising, and thus it is the quality of the product that makes the constant
growing demand without newspaper iir magazine solicitation.

Mr. and Mrs. Taylor reside on l{ast b'.iurth Street, in a comfortable, well-furnished
bungalow, where they entertain their nian\ friends with an old-time hospitality. They
are strong Republicans. Mr. Taylor having espoused the platforms of that party ever
since its formation in ihe I'lftio at Jackson, Mich. Their three children are John E.
Tavlor, an extensive rancher in San Luis Obispo County; Fred H. Taylor, the president
and manager of Taylors; and a daughter, Eleanor, wife of A. E. Marker, of Downey.

JOHN J. SWARTZBAUGH.— Thrift and frugality, coupled with a judicious man-
agement of one's financial affairs, are characteristics that usually bring success to the
man who practices them in whatever line of business he may be engaged in. To these
characteristics in the life of John J. Swartzbaugh, the extensive and successful walnut
grower of West Orange precinct, are due his substantial prosperity. He is justly
proud to be called a self-made man, because of the splendid success he has made by
his own unaided efiforts.

The descendant of an old Maryland family, Mr. Swartzbaugh was born in Balti-
more, Md., September 25, 1858, the son of John H. and Mary (Green) Swartzbaugh,
both natives of Baltimore. Grandfather John Swartzbaugh was also born in Maryland.
Mr. and Mrs. John H. Swartzbaugh were the parents of five children, John J., the
subject of this sketch, being the second child. When ten years of age he migrated
with his parents to Springfield, Ohio, where the father rented land. For two years
John J. lived with his great uncle, Samuel Swartzbaugh, where he helped with the farm
work; subsequently he was hired by farmers who paid him only four dollars per month
for the arduous work done and the long hours of service. The only financial assistance
he ever received was thirty dollars he inherited from his sister Susan.

At Springfield, Ohio, Mr. Swartzbaugh was united in marriage with Miss Lo'a
Knott, a native of the Buckeye State, and daughter of Charles Knott, a farmer and .1
veteran of the Union Army. After his marriage "Mv. Swartzbaugh removed with his
family to Texas, where he remained for eleven months and then decided to move
farther westward, with the Golden State as his ultmiate goal. He arrived in Sant?
Ana on February 22, 1S88, and soon purchased a squatter's claim in West Orange





koOJ0iM^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 365

precinct. Mr. Swartzbaugh improved his place and has from time to time made
additional purchases imtil today he is the possessor of 110 acres of valuable land,
ninety of which are devoted to walnuts, ranging from three to nineteen years of age.
He has made a specialty of walnut culture for twenty years, the beneficient results of
which are apparent in the high quality of walnuts and bountiful yields of his orchards.
He is regarded as one of the most successful walnut growers in the West Orange
section of the county.

Mr. and Mrs. Swartzbaugh are the parents of nine children. Arvilla married
Welley Wheeler, an electrician for the Standard Oil Company, and they reside at El
Segundo; Florence is the wife of Clarence Brittain, a carpenter residing at El Segundo,
and they have three children; Olyn, a grading contractor at Harbor City, married Mrs.
McClure who had three children by her former marriage; Ina married Paul Morse of
Harbor City and they are the parents of two children; Ruth is the wife of J. H. Hutch-
ings of Santa Cruz; Ada lives at El Segundo; Lola married Howard Gillette of Santa
Ana; Carl and Mary are at home. In politics Mr. Swartzbaugh is a Democrat. He
belongs to the Garden Grove Walnut Association.

JOHN DUNSTAN. — A conservative, trustworthy business man, self-made arid
successful and a good "booster" for Orange County, because of his confidence in the
future of this part of the great state of California, is John Dunstan, the able and
genial vice-president of the First National Bank of Tustin. He was born on December
5, 1866, near Redruth, Cornwall, England, the son of James Dunstan, also a native of that
country, who had married Elizabeth Berryman, a descendant of an old family in that
part of England. James Dunstan came to America in 1867, and being a farmer, did
not tarry in New York City, where he landed, but immediately came on West, first to
Fayette County, Iowa, and then to Pioche, Lincoln County, Nev., making his journey
from the end of the railroad to their destination by stage. Finally in 1875 he landed
at Tustin. John Dunstan is the only child of these worthy parents and came with
them to Orange County and, then a boy of nine, he heard stories of the pioneer days
he has never forgotten.

He attended the common schools of that time and locality and worked at home
for his parents, helping to improve the twenty acres which his father had bought on
East Seventeenth Street, set out in part to grapes, oranges and apricots. He himself
in time bought twenty-five acres of vacant land east of Tustin, which he improved
with walnuts and apricots and in 1903 he also bought ten acres more, which he planted
to oranges and lemons. After a while he sold both of these acreages and bought
instead some twelve acres, also on East Seventeenth Street, which he set out to
Valencia oranges, and it has grown to be a valuable bearing orchard. He began to
market through the Santiago Orange Growers' Association of which he is still a
member. Recognizing his ability the stockholders of the Santa Ana Valley Irrigation
Company elected Mr. Dunstan a director and he later served as president of the board
for two years, during which time he was very active in the improving, enlarging
and building up the system. At the end of the period he resigned, not being able to
devote the time he felt he should because his personal business affairs required all
of his attention. Since its organization, too, he has been vice-president of the First
National Bank of Tustin.

In early days he made a specialty of apricots and was rated as one of the largest
growers of that delicious fruit in Orange County. His hobby now is Valencia oranges,
which from his experience he considers best adapted to this soil and climate, and aside
from his grove of sixteen acres he manages his mother's Valencia orchard of the
same amount of acreage. On April 16, 1902, Mr. Dunstan was married to Miss Myrtle
H. Hall, a daughter of William H. and Susan Frances Hall of Hiawatha. Brown
County, Kans. They came to Orange County in 1891 and the father died in 1914, while
Mrs. Hall continued to make her home in Santa Ana. The union of Mr. and Mrs.
Dunstan has been blessed with three children as follows: Gilbert Hall and Mary
Elizabeth are attending Santa Ana high school, while the youngest, Frances Emily,
is attending Tustin grammar school. In 1914 Mr. Dunstan erected on his ranch a
beautiful residence of nine rooms and furnished the same completely; and nearby on
the adjoining orchard is his mother's comfortable home and thus he is able to look
after her wants and give her every devotion and care.

Greatly interested in civic and educational lines he can always be counted on
to give his time and means to all worthy objects which are for the betterment of
conditions and morals of the community. Both Mr. and Mrs. Dunstan were active
in the various war activities and Liberty Bond drives.



366 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

C. D. HEARTWELL. — One of the natives of the Empire State who eventually
reached California to swell the number who have done so much for the development
of the state is C. D. Heartwell, the pioneer real-estate dealer of Huntington Beach,
who was born in Seneca County, N. Y., on August 12, 1847. His father, Oscar F.
Heartwell, known to Huntington Beach residents for years as Grandpa Heartwell, was
born at Oaks Corners, N. Y., in 1818, and he married Jiilia Ann Subrina Webster, also
a native of New York and a relative of Daniel Webster. Oscar Heartwell passed the
last years of his life at the home of his son, C. D. Heartwell, passing away there at the
age of ninety-five years. Grandfather Benjamin Heartwell was born in Vermont and
when a young man walked all the way from there to western New York and bought a
farm where the city of Rochester now stands. Finding that they had chills and fever
in that locality, he threw up his contract and went to Waterloo, N. Y., and bought a
farm. He afterwards went to Oaks Corners and engaged in carpenter work as well as
farming. Oscar Heartwell was also a carpenter, but spent some years in teaching
school, afterward becoming interested in farming.

Of the seven children of Air. and Mrs. Oscar F. Heartwell all: were born in New
York and six of them are living. C. D. Heartwell, the third in order of birth, passed
his early years in the locality in which he was born. He attended( the public schools
and later took a commercial course at a business college at Auburn, N. Y. Hel then
took up railroad work, entering the service as a passenger conductor on the Northern
Central branch of the Pennsylvania Railroad, afterwards being identified with the
railway mail service on the Syracuse, Geneva and Corning Railroad. In 1882, while
engaged in this work, he was severely injured in a collision, so that for a time his life
was despaired of, and for five years he was an invalid. In 1887, Mr. Heartwell went to
Hastings, Neb., and with his brother, J. B. Heartwell, organized the Nebraska Loan
and Trust Company.

In 1904 Mr. Heartwell came to Huntington Beach and started on his work of
development that has done much for the town. At that time the Pacific Electric Rail-
way had not begun its service there. With his brothers, J. B. Heartwell and J. F.
Heartwell, and J. M. Edgar, he organized the Union Investment Company and built
for their office the frame building where the U. S. Restaurant now stands; he was
president of the company and Mr. Edgar was its secretary. Soon thereafter J. B.
Heartwell organized the First National Bank of Huntington Beach and they leased the
Union Investment Company's building on Main Street, the company then building a
smaller office south of Main Street on Ocean .\venue, and here Mr. Heartwell has
been located ever since, being the oldest realty dealer or business man, in point of
continuous business, in Huntington Beach. The lands belonging to the Union Invest-
ment Company have all been disposed of and the affairs of the company wound up, but
Mr. Heartwell still continues a thriving real estate, loan and fire insurance business.

Mr. Heartwell's first marriage, which was solemnized in Buffalo, N. Y., united
him with Miss Emma Schermerhorn, who died a few years later at Geneva, N. Y.,
leaving two children; Julia M., the widow of E. L. Payne, resides with her father
and is secretary to the superintendent of the Huntington Beach High School; Emmeline
S. is the wife of E. A. Neilson of Huntington Beach. Mr. Heartwell's second marriage
took place in Nebraska, where he was married to Miss Georgiana Dennison.

EDWIN BAILEY FOOTE. — With few or no exceptions, the Footes in America
descended from either Nathaniel Foote, of Colchester, England, who came to Water-
town, Mass., about 1630, or Pasco Foote, who settled in Salem, Mass., soon after,
or Richard Foote, of Cornwall, England, and later of Stafford County, Va. That
the first two were nearly related, if not brothers, there can be little doubt. According
to one tradition, the far-away ancestors of these migrating worthies lived near the
base or foot of a mountain in England, at the time when surnames were adopted, and
they called themselves Foote, Fotte or Foot. However that may be, our subject's
family tree throws its branches back to Nathaniel Foote, the settler of Colchester,
Conn., doubtless related to William Henry Foote, the clergyman, who was born at
Colchester in 1794. Other early and distinguished Footes are Arthur William Foote,
the musician, of Salem; Elial Todd Foote, the physician, of Gil, Mass.; Elisha Foote,
the commissioner of patents, of Lee, Mass.; Samuel Augustus Foote, the senator,
born in Cheshire, Conn.; Andrew Hull Foote, his son. the naval officer, who was
born at New Haven, Conn.; Henry Wilder Foote, the clergyman, also born at Salem,
and Henry Stuart Foote, the senator, born in \'irginia. There are no less than
eleven branches of the Foote family in America at the present time, and Edwin Bailey
Foote is the grandson of William Foote, a farmer of Stanford, N. Y., and the son of
Henry B. Foote, himself the second son, in a family of eight children. He had mar-
ried Miss Lucretia Eels, of Walton, N. Y., the daughter of Horace and Eliza Eels,




K^e^^^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 369

steady-going farmer folk, and the ceremony took place on January 30, 1856. They
took up their home at Stanford, and there reared their family.

The eldest son, and one of three still surviving, Edwin Bailey Foote was born
on February 6, 1857, and grew up on his father's' farm of 126 acres. He attended the
district school, and helped to care for the milk and the butter which were marketed
in New York City. When he was twenty-five years of age, he started westward, and
for a year farmed in Michigan, then for a year in Ohio, and finally worked for a year
on a farm at Manhattan, Kans.

An uncle, Horace Eels, had come west to Garden Grove, Cal., on November 18,
1887, and liked what he saw; and the same year Mr. Foote followed to the Golden
State. He took up carpentering, and for five years worked at that trade. In 1890 Mr.
Foote married Sarah Elizabeth Ross, and as Mrs. Foote was a member of the highly-
honored pioneer family of Josiah Ross, the first to settle at Santa Ana, he found
no difficulty in making valuable connections, and in getting all the work he could do.

In 1892 he took up ranching for the first time, although he had helped on a
farm in Orange County three years before. Three years later he became a pioneer
of Laguna Beach. He has acquired city property, and shown his interest in public
affairs by serving as a trustee on the Laguna school board. He also owns various
ranch properties in Garden Grove and El Toro. He is not a politician, but a liberal-
minded, patriotic citizen, proud, to begin with, of his own family of three children —
Hugh, and the twins, Harry and Hazel; the first-born died Nov. 23, 1917. He tries to
live a simple. Christian life, and is never ashamed of the fact that he is a hard worker.

DE WITT CLINTON PIXLEY.— A prominent financier of California, whose
deep interest in the welfare and sound and permanent development of Orange County
would naturally entitle him to the good will of those who undeniably admire his meth-
ods leading to success, is De Witt Clinton Pixley, who came to Orange County in
the early eighties. He was born in Ingraham, Clay County, 111., in 1857, the son of
Osman Pixley, the merchant and banker, who was a native of Edwards County, 111., and
a member of a family traceable to Liverpool, England. They migrated to Boston,
Mass., and in time came to be early settlers of Illinois, in which state they established
themselves when there were block houses near old Fort Vincennes, and Illinois was a
territory. Osman Pixley, as seems to have been the Pixley habit, made a real success of
all he undertook in business at Ingraham, as well as in banking at Flora, 111., where
he was president of the First National Bank of Flora for twenty-seven years. He
continued actively in business until his death, at an advanced age. His good wife
was Frances Wood before her marriage, and she was a native of Illinois, and spent
her last days in Clay County. They had three children who grew up: De Witt Clinton.
the subject of our sketch; Harvey F., now president of the First National Bank in
Flora. 111., and Arthur H., a member of the Chicago Board of Trade.

De Witt Clinton was educated at the public schools of his district and at Eureka
College in Illinois, from which he graduated in 1878, with the Bachelor of Arts degree,
after which he engaged in the mercantile business for a couple of years in Southern
Illinois. But, desiring a niilder climate, he came west to California in 1881 and located
on a ranch at Orange.

In the spring of 1882 he bought the general merchandise store of R. L. Crowder in
Orange, who was one of the pioneer merchants in town. It was where the Campbell
Block now stands, at the corner of the Plaza and Glassell Street, and was in a small
frame building. Three years later, Mr. Pixley purchased a lot on North Glassell Street,
built a brick block, and engaged in general merchandising in what was for that time,
at that place, the largest concern of the kind. Later, he sold the grocery and the dry-
goods departments, and continued in the hardware and implement, and also the furni-
ture business, which in time also grew into large proportions. About 1909 he sold the
furniture business to his son, \^'. C. Pixley, who now runs it as the Pixley Furniture
Company, and the hardware trade to the Kogler Hardware Company.

Mr. Pixley had early become interested in various enterprises of vital importance
to the building up of the town, and was, for example, an original stockholder and a
director in the National Bank of Orange; and he has been president of that bank for
the past seven years. He was also president, and is still a director of the Orange
Savings Bank, which has grown to have nearly $800,000 assets. He was prominent in
the reorganization of the Orange Building and Loan .Association, and was its presi-



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 44 of 191)