Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 47 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 47 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


1866; and then he removed to Arkansas, where he continued farming. In 1868, he
crossed the plains from Arkansas, in a train of mule and ox wagons, coming by way
of El Paso and Tucson; and he farmed at Prescott, Ariz., from 1868 to 1874, when he
came on in wagons to California. He crossed the Colorado River at Ahrenburg, and
arrived at Los Angeles in June, 1874. This was not his first visit to the Golden State,
for he had alreadj' made several freighting and trading trips to California while resid-
ing in Arizona.

Mr. Price was married at Azusa in May, 1871, to Miss Nannie Dougherty, a native
of Mrginia and the daughter of Charles and Rosamond (Hale) Dougherty. She was
only three years old when her parents came from Virginia to Texas, and in the Lone
Star State she grew up, until she came to California with her parents in 1868. She
thus crossed the great plains about the same period as had Mr. Price, although it was
her first trip over the continent. The Comanches and Apaches were hostile, and the
immigrants formed large trains for their protection. After their marriage, Mrs. Price
accompanied her husband back to Prescott, and there he settled up his business pre-
paratory to coming here in 1874. In that year he took up his residence upon an eighty-
acre farm one mile east of what is now the town of Garden Grove, and there erected
the first house in this district, also bored the second artesian well.

Mr. Price owned several ranches which he farmed up to about 1910, and he made
his first investment in Garden Grove real estate in 1907. Since then his action in buying
and erecting business structures and residences speaks louder than words of a supreme
faith in Garden Grove. He owns a farm of forty acres devoted to peppers and potatoes
two miles south of the town, which he rents out; he built the postoffice building, and
the two-story brick building east of it, and he owns the hotel building; and he also
owns the garage building east of the two-story brick. He has completed two six-room
bungalows on Walnut Street, and he intends to continue his investments and ventures
as fast as the growth of the town will justify.

Seven children blessed the union of Mr. and Mrs. Price. Stella, now Mrs. R. B.
\'aile, is a graduate of the University of California and a teacher at Katella, she has a
son, R. B., Jr.; Sterling is an extensive rancher in Bolsa precinct, he married Florence
•Heiland and they have five children — Maurice D., Thelma, Gerald, Wilma and
the baby; Charles, formerly count}' veterinary officer, is a veterinary surgeon at Santa
Ana; he married Eva Bridgeford, and they have two sons, Kenneth and Ray; Gertrude
resides at San Diego with her husband, R. S. Reed, secretary of an abstract company;
Lida is the wife of A. D. Kinne. assistant manager of R. G. Dun and Company, Los
Angeles; Rae became the wife of Dr. I. F. Baldwin of Los Angeles; she died on October
9. 1918, leaving two children, Irving and Eleanor; Dr. Baldwin died in 1919; Mattie
Lou died at the age of four years.

The Golden Rule has been the chief guide for both Mr. and Mrs. Price in their
dealings with others. He is a Democrat in national political matters, and yet always
for the best men and the best measures, and served for about ei.ghteen years as a
school trustee. With his good wife, he answered every call of the Red Cross during
the late war, and associated himself with various war activities. He has served on both
grand and petit juries. Fraternally, he is a Mason. Mrs. Price, as a lady of exceptional
culture, enjoys the esteem of a very wide circle of friends.

Not long ago Mrs. Price contributed a very interesting story to the Garden Grove
News, giving her "Reminiscences of Pioneer Days," in which she says:

"VVe settled in El Monte, where my father bought a lease and the improvements
on ten acres of land, for which he paid $50 and a mule, and gave one-tenth of the crop
each year to the owner, Mr. Temple, who owned several thousand acres of an old Span-
ish grant. About that time. Temple and his father-in-law, Mr. Workman, built the



392 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

Temple Bank in Los Angeles. It was the second bank there at that time. The building-
still stands, and is known today as the Temple Block. Through Temple's generosity
and his confidence in the people, he lost everything he and Mr. Workman had. Mr.
Workman committed suicide, and Temple died in a miserable sheep camp, deserted by
his family, and all alone. All this Spanish grant was taken over by their creditors, and
sold off for homes.

"I can never forget the first time that I saw Los Angeles. It was nothing but a
straggling Spanish pueblo. Saloons were far more in evidence than any other business;
every little grocery store sold wines and liquors. There was not a street car nor steam
railway in the place. In the year 1868 a railroad was built from Los Angeles to Wil-
mington, which created great excitement. ■ The first train that went over it afforded
a free excursion, and what a jubilee everybody had.

"In 1874, we came to Orange, which was called Richland at that time. \\"e only
stopped there long enough to look about us and select a location, and finally purchased
eighty acres one mile east of where we now live. Orange consisted of one mixed
store, a blacksmith shop, one small schoolhouse, and a few straggling houses. Santa
Ana had one general merchandise store, which was Spurgeon's, one blacksmith shop
and one saloon. A little later, we had the privilege of helping to build the first church,
which was the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.

"Mr. Price hauled the lumber for our house from Anaheim Landing, which was
the shipping point for all this country. There was only one settler between here and
Anaheim, it being all sheep pasture. In a short time we could see little shacks going
up here and there, until a school was talked about. The Bolsa school district took in
all the territory from Huntington Beach to two miles north of here, except West-
minster Colony, they having formed a school district of their own. Finally, we formed
our district, and Mr. A. G. Cook named it Garden Grove. Some objected, thought it
was not appropriate, as there was nothing that could be called a tree in the whole
district, but Mr. Cook said: 'We'll make it appropriate by planting trees and making
it beautiful.' " In this interesting manner Mrs. Price tells of the early sales of land, the
first orange groves here, and the gradual discovery of the rich soil and its capabilities.

MRS. JULIETTE SMITH.— A distinguished resident of Santa Ana, who, despite
advanced years, was privileged to take an active part in relief work during the late
war, is Mrs. Juliette Smith of 122 East Eleventh Street. She was born in Little York,
Warren County, 111., the daughter of W. C. Maley, one of the delegates to the National
Republican Convention which nominated Abraham Lincoln for the presidency, and
an enthusiast who stumped the state for and with him, and as a souvenir of that
exciting campaign, handed down to her from her father, she treasures a piece of rail
split by Lincoln at Decatur, 111. She was educated at' the academy in Little York and
received there the best advantages of the period. Her father had come to Illinois in

1830. at the age of twenty-one, riding horseback from Harrisville, W. Va. Her uncle
on the paternal side was Maj.-Gen. T. M. Harris, for whose family Harrisville, W.
Va., is named, and he was a physician before he served in the Civil War. Her grand-
father, Wm. Maley, did not believe in slavery, and came to Illinois with his family in

1831. Juliette Maley's mother was Margaret Giles, a native of Abbyville District,
South Carolina, who came to Illinois with her parents, who were also opposed to
slavery. Her father, uncle, and her father's brother-in-law, in 1869 removed to Cedar
County, Iowa, and purchased 1,200 acres along the Chicago and Northwestern Rail-
road and started the town of Stanwood, Iowa, which was named after the vice-
president of the Northwestern Road. It was prairie land, but it soon came to have
a more inviting appearance, thanks especially to the enterprise of the projectors.

A year later, on April 7, 1870, Miss Maley was married to John Neal Smith,
the ceremony taking place at Stanwood. He was a native of Illinois, where he was
born on January 5. 1835, the son of Hugh Smith, who came from Ireland, and who
married Esther Selfrage, a native of New York of Scotch descent. He moved to
Mount Vernon, Iowa, and there in Linn County in 18S4 took up Governmment land.
After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. John Neal Smith lived on the old homestead for
eighteen months, when they sold the property and went back to Stanwood.

For the next year and a half Mr. Smith ran an agricultural implement store there,
and when he disposed of that, he purchased a farm near Stanwood. embracing 110
acres, which were devoted to general farming, although he specialized in stock, buying
and selling cattle. He also had a general store at Stanwood and handled general
merchandise, grain and provisions. In August, 1881, he sold out and came west to
Santa Ana, Cal. Here for five years he was engaged in the meat business with James
McFadden, and then he sold that pioneer his interest. For a year he engaged in the
grocery trade, but sold that also. When the "boom" came he went into the real
estate business with Judge Humphrey and George Minter, but the "boom" burst. At




L/flyi^CtAAoi^4i/i^^Cty^^y^o^i^ '^r^^^^n^t^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 395

the end of eleven years of residence here he went back to Iowa, having sold all that
he owned in Santa Ana, and he farmed in Lyons County for nine months. The lure
of California, however, brought him back here again in 1892, and he settled on a ranch
of twenty-one acres on Fruit east of Grand Avenue, and there he devoted his time and
energies to the culture of walnuts and oranges until September, 1913, when he died,
mourned by all who knew him. Mrs. Smith now resides at 122 East Eleventh Street,
Santa. Ana, but still owns the ranch, which now comprises twenty-nine acres devoted
to oranges and walnuts.

Seven children, five boys and two girls, make up the family of this estimable
lady: William M., Margaret E., Martha A.. Hugh G., J. Herbert, Archie H. and
James Merle. Mrs. Smith, therefore, is happy, being surrounded by her children,
who assist her in looking after her properties, thus relieving her of all unnecessary
worry and care.

Mrs. Smith is a liberal and helpful woman, and gives her aid to all enterprises
tliat have for their aim the development of the county in which she has so much
faith. She loyally shared in the burdensome program of the ever-diligent war drives,
particularly in the Red Cross. Mrs. Smith belongs to the United Presbyterian Church
and is a member of the Woman's Relief Corps and the Women's Christian Temper-
ance Union.

SAMSON EDWARDS.— Among the pioneers of Orange County none were bet-
ter known or more active in its upbuilding than Samson Edwards, who for nearly
fifty years was identified with its development. He was a native of Berg Parish,
Cornwall County, England, where he was born on February 26, 1830, into the family
of William and Elizabeth (Pierce) Edwards. As a boy aged si.x he began working
in local mines, but in 1846, when so many of Europe sought an asylum in the New
World, he migrated with his parents to the United States, but the parents died soon
after reaching this country and they were buried in Pennsylvania. There were left a
son, John Samson, and his wife, and some smaller children to battle the world for
existence in the new country. They all endured many privations and lived in cramped
quarters until a start could be made and the younger children reared to such ages
as they could be self-supporting. They had migrated to Pittsburgh, Pa., where
Samson worked for sixty-two and a half cents per day in a steam brick mill and later,
after locating in Wisconsin he worked for a dollar and a quarter a day at some of
the hardest work of his life in the lead mines.

He met and married, at Hazel Green, Grant County, on November 1, 1851, a
native of England, who was destined to share with him the joys and sorrows of a
long and strenuous life, and also to go with him, almost at the same moment, through
the shadowy portal of death. She was Miss Diana Rogers, a daughter of John and
Jane (Curtis) Rogers and she was born in England on March 9, 1833.

Thus having set up his domestic establishment. Mr. Edwards took up farming
across the state line in Jo Daviess County, 111., and after four years moved somewhat
east, where he bought and developed a good farm until 1874. Then, having read much
about California and its advantages to men of thrift and energy, he sold out his hold-
ings and crossed the continent with his family to San Francisco, thence by boat to
Wilmington, where they were met by a nephew, W. H. Edwards, and located at
Westminster. There were five children in the Samson Edwards family when they
came to California: John H., now living in Santa Ana; William J., of Westminster;
Mary Isabella, the wife of F. J. Rogers of Santa Ana; Hester Ann, who married C. E.
Bowlsby and is deceased; and Nelson T„ of Orange. Mr. Edwards formed a partner-
ship with two brothers, John and Thomas Edwards, but at the end of two years
they divided their interests equally. In the meantime they had started dairying with
good cattle, but they had to haul their products to Los Angeles by team. They paid
$18.50 an acre for their land, but to erect the necessary fences and buildings they had
to order 250,000 feet of lumber shipped from the North. They raised some of the
first corn ever planted in the peat lands, which yielded over 100 bushels to the acre.
His experience in those days afforded Samson Edwards the theme for many
a good story. Often he had to drag cattle out of the bog holes with his team and he
rode horseback over all that section of country before there were any roads and
these he helped to build. He became owner of 160 acres of land, which he developed
into a valuable farm with the aid of his sons John H. and William J. He leased
the Smeltzer pasturage for some years, and for several years was engaged in the meat
business, running the wagons all over what is now Orange County, and through some
parts of Los .\ngeles County, for the country abounded with wild Spanish cattle.
hogs and horses. Robert McFadden sold him his first seventy head of wild cattle;
he caught and broke wild horses, paying from $22 to $40 a head. .-MI teaming was
done with mustangs, as a horse weighing 1,100 pounds was a curiosity. The boys



396 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

lassoed wild hogs which were then very plentiful in the tules. On account of the
dearth of trees thereabouts, Mr. Edwards sent to San Francisco for eucalyptus seed,
planted them in beds and then transplanted them to their more permanent places.
President of the Westminster Farmers' Club, Mr. Edwards, assisted by his good
wife, gave liberally of his time and means for years to advance in every way the
best interests of the ranchers. He was a member of the Methodist Church for thirty
years, and was instrumental in the building and support of the First Methodist
Church in Westminster.

Some years ago, a previous edition of the History of Orange County, in very
appropriately noting the life-work of these esteemed, influential pioneers, said among
other things: "Mr. Edwards and his wife endured the hardships of pioneer life and,
assisted by their children, made rapid strides toward success. They helped their
children to get a start in the world, thus repaying them for the assistance they gave
him in the early struggle in the county. He and his wife have been residents oi
Santa Ana for the past ten years, and it was here, November 1, 1901, that they cele-
brated their fiftieth wedding anniversary and were greeted by hundreds of friends
from all parts of the county. They are enjoying the fruits of their early labors, and
can look back into the past upon lives well spent and to the future for the final call
without fear." In the light of the foregoing, it is sad indeed to relate that on March
26, 1912, both Mr. and Mrs. Edwards were killed at Santa Ana when their automobile
in crossing the tracks was struck by a Pacific Electric car.

D. EYMAN HUFF.— One of the best informed men in all Southern California
regarding the marketing and the growing of citrus fruits is D. Eyman HufT, of Orange
County, manager of the David Hewes Realty Corporation, which controls 675 acres
of land at El Modena. With twenty-two years of constructive service in behalf of
the citrus industry of the state, Mr. Huff looks back upon the development of an
industry that has taken years to perfect, and a part in which he has had a strong
influence in bringing about.

D. Eyman Huff was born at Osawatomie, Kans., September 17, 1880, the son of
Samuel and Olive (Smith) Huff, natives of Indiana and Illinois, respectively.. Besides
D. Eyman there were five children who came to California when the family left
their Kansas home in 1887 and emigrated to the Golden State: Lewis N., William
F. and E. Gertrude all live in Long Beach; Ralph E. still makes his home with his
parents in Orange County: Ivy is deceased. The family first settled near Fallbrook,
but in September of 1890 they located in Orange County, where the parents still live.

In 1890 D. Eyman Huff first located in this county, but divided his time between
Los Angeles and here until 1910, since which time he has been a permanent resident
of this favored section. He was educated in the public schools of Orange County,
then went to Los Angeles to take a course in the Normal School there, but soon
entered the store kept by his brother, as a clerk, in the meantime carrying a morning
paper route in the business district, which took him into the offices of the Southern
California Fruit Exchange, where Joseph L. Merrill was chief accountant. Mr. Merrill
ha'd picked some likely young lads from amongst the newsboys when a vacancy was
to be filled, and his notice was drawn to young Huff, to whom he offered a position
as office boy with a salary of fifteen dollars per month, and he began his duties on
December 13, 1898. Two months later he got his first promotion and a salary of
twenty-five dollars per month, and from this beginning he gradually worked his way
through the various positions in the office until he was assistant sales manager and
the most capable man to hold that position. Then the Covina Fruit Exchange wanted
a manager, and he was recommended for the place and served for two years, the
second year there, representing that exchange on the board of directors of the Central
Exchange. During these eleven years he had gained an intimate knowledge of all
branches of the citrus industry, and was conceded to be one of the best-posted men in
Southern California.

In 1909 he became manager of the Orange County Fruit Exchange with only two
members, the Santiago Association and the David Hewes Ranch Company. It was
shown that only about thirty per cent of the product grown was marketed through
the Exchange, and the new manager at once started to awaken an interest among the
growers, so that by 1915 he had organized, or helped to organize, seven additional
associations through which practically seventy-five per cent of the crop was marketed.
These included Tustin Hills, Tustin Lemon Association, Villa Park Orchards, Central
Lemon. Olive Heights Citrus. McPherson Heights Citrus and Garden Grove Citrus
associations. In July, 1915, David Hewes passed away, a few months after he had
organized the David Hewes Realty Corporation, and the property passed to the heirs.
The directors of the company cast about for the right man to manage the business,
and selected Mr. Huff, knowing he could manage, direct and develop, and he assumed



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 399

his duties and at once began to put in operation his advanced ideas, and has continued
to serve the company with satisfaction to all concerned ever since, all the time making
the ranch more productive and bringing about a steady and strong market, as well as
a demand for a highly standardized grade and pack.

Mr. Huff is also a grower himself, owning one or more groves, and bringing
them to a higher state of productivity before selling them. He has always been a
hard worker, has a keen, analytical mind, ever alert in the interest of the cause he
espouses, a winning personality and the ability to convince others, all of which have
been a great help to his achievement. He sees a great future for the citrus growers
and knows many problems will arise with the development of new groves that will
call for the cooperation of all the growers to solve. He is always willing to give
advice as to latest methods of care for groves, best bud selection, and picking and
packing of the fruit. Mr. Huflf was manager of the Orange County Fruit Exchange,
during which time he was its member on the central board of directors; since 1915 he
has been a director of the Orange County Exchange; is a director and one of the
incorporators of the Exchange Byproducts Company, operating the Corona Lemon
Products plant; was president of the Orange County Associated Chambers of Com-
merce, and believes in forwarding all projects for the upbuilding of Southern Cali-
iornia, and plans greater projects for the development of the great Hewes ranch.

The marriage of D. Eyman Huff with Miss Blanche L. Waite was celebrated
on April 20, 1901. and united him with a popular lady who grew up in California from
a small child. Her parents. Earl and Inez (Robb) Waite, were natives of New York
and Ohio, respectively, who came to California about 1884 with their family of four
children. The parents are now residents of Long Beach. Mrs. Huff was educated in
the schools of Los Angeles and has lived in this vicinity for many years. They have
a son, Chauncey Earl Huff, born 1902, and graduated from the Orange high school.
He is an amateur' wireless operator, and is now taking a course at the Southwestern
University in Los Angeles in commercial and business law. Mrs. Huff has ever been
an inspiration to her accomplished husband, and shares with him the esteem of a host
of friends in Southern California. Mr. Huff is a thirty-second degree Mason and a
Shriner, and in politics is a stanch Republican in national affairs, although he does
not draw the party line when it comes to local issues, supporting the men and meas-
ures he considers best suited for the office and people.

CALVIN E. JACKSON.— Law and order could not fail to be among the first
appeals in favor of residence in Orange County, so long as that office is filled by such
a man as Calvin E. Jackson, who is one of the most popular of California sheriffs, as
he always has been the most respected. A man who holds the respect of all who know
him, even the criminals whom he causes to be arrested, for they know that at his hands
they will be dealt w-ith in justice to the crime committed. His reputation of always
giving a square deal in every instance is widely known.

A native of Alabama, Mr. Jackson was born at La Grange, on May 24, 1868, a
son of James M. and Ellen (Ferguson) Jackson, the latter dying when her son was but
two years of age, so that he has no recollection of his mother or of a mother's love
and tender care. James M. Jackson was a mechanic of exceptional ability, who in
1876, when Calvin E. was a lad of eight, removed from Alabama to Texas and is still
a resident of that state, living in Stephensville at the advanced age of eighty-three years.
Calvin attended the public schools of Alabama and Texas in pursuit of his education,
but the school of "hard knocks" supplied him with the greater part of his experience.
.As he grew to young manhood in Texas he rode the range and in that way learned to
know men and conditions. Being a natural leader he decided to come to California
in hopes that he would be able to find a broader scope for his talents and in that he
has not been disappointed. In 1887 he landed in San Bernardino and worked at the
carpenter's trade for two years, learning the business, after which, in 1889, he came
to what is now Orange County, and here cast his first vote for the new county then
being formed. He worked as a journeyman carpenter for several years in various
sections of the county and then for eighteen years was a contractor and builder, em-
ployin.g several men in his operations. He has to his credit the erection of many of
the old-time residences throughout the county and these homes stand today as evidence



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 47 of 191)