Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 49 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 49 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


true skill, genial and sympathetic manner, never seeking notoriety by questionable
methods. He was closely identified with the city of Santa Ana and was very public
spirited. He was one of the organizers and served as a director of the Farmers and
Merchants Bank of Santa Ana and at the time of organization was urged to take the
presidency, but declined on account of the large practice he could not neglect. He was
interested in the development of the water and gas companies and the first street car
line in Santa Ana. He also added to the material development of the city by pur-
chasing a 300-foot frontage on North Main Street, in the 800 block, the property
extending through to Sycamore Street, and here he erected his home. He also built
and owned business blocks on Fourth, near Main, and the Medlock Block at the corner
of Fifth and Main Streets,

At Ozark, Ark., in 1869. Dr. Medlock was united in marriage with Miss Martha
McFerrin Adams, a native of Arkansas, and to them were born two children, one of
whom grew up — a daughter Yelda. who married C. A. Gustlin of Santa Ana. Mrs.
Medlock's father, Abner Adams, born in Kentucky, was a merchant in Arkansas, but
died many years ago. Her mother, Mary S. (Berry) Adams, a native of Tennessee,
came to California in 1876 and spent her last years with Dr. and Mrs. Medlock at
Santa Ana. Mrs. Medlock is very active in civic affairs and is a charter member of
the Ebell Club, which was organized at her home, and is also a charter member and
past matron of the Eastern Star. She was one of the organizers of the First Presby-
terian Church of Santa Ana, and has always been active in Church and missionary work.
Reared in an environment of culture and refinement, she is a woman of rare attain-
ments and pleasing personality, radiating pleasure on her many friends who enjoj'
her for hospitality and kindness.

Dr. Medlock was no ordinary man or physician. He was a man of deeds more
than words. He was a man of action, alert, resourceful, always ready; a man of judicial
mind, he saw both sides on all questions. Hundreds of mothers could testify to his
skill as an obstetrician. It was in the maternity chamber at the hour of midnight that
Dr. Medlock was the dominant figure, "a shadow of a great rock in a weary land."
He always met promptly and successfully every emergency and did it quietly and with-
out ostentation. A "doctor of the old school," he rode a horse and carried saddle




-^^l^.^^,



■^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 413

bags to the remote homes in an Arkansas wilderness, and it was there that he became
self-reliant and resourceful before coming to California. No night was too dark or
storm too severe for him to answer the call of suffering.

Fortunate in being well born, Dr. Medlock had in his makeup the Scotch ancestry
of oak. He inherited from his forbears a contempt for the hypocrite or deceitful
quack; he was the soul of honor and always signed his letters, "Sincerely yours." He
himself was sincere, genuine, honest, unafifected, candid, cordial and true. Dr. Medlock
was an honored member of the American Medical Association and of the state and
county societies, and fraternally was a prominent Mason of the Knights Templar
degree, as well as a Shriner.

JUAN GLESS.— A native of far-away Spain, Juan Gless is one of El Toro's
pioneer settlers, having come there thirty-five years ago, when all of this section of
Orange County was given over to sheep raising, thousands of them grazing over the
land that has in later years been transformed into highly cultivated • ranches and
orchards. Navarro, Spain, was Mr.- Gless' birthplace, and there he first saw the light
on April 25, 1861, his parents being Bernard and Juana Gless, farmer folk near Aldudes.
who spent their lives in that section, both having passed away some years ago at
the old home.

There were six children in the Gless family; Pedro and Gracian reside in France;
Pierre resides with our subject; Mrs. Juana Bidart of El Toro; Mrs. Ysabel Yauregue
of Ventura, and Juan of this review. The home place of the Gless family was on
the line between France and Spain, and here Juan was reared, learning when but a
lad to take care of sheep and cattle, that being the principal industry of the region.
Having heard good reports from some of their countrymen who had migrated to
California, telling of the success awaiting young men of brain and muscle who were
willing to work, Mr. Gless left the old home for the New World, reaching California
in October, 1885. Finding employment with S. Chavorie and LeFur at Newport, he
continued with them for three years, when he purchased a band of sheep and started
out on his own account, ranging them on the plains and in the mountains, and incresa-
ing his herds until he had 6,000 head. He made his headquarters at El Toro, but in
the old days he ranged his sheep as far north as Los Angeles up to what is now
Seventh Street, that locality then bearing no indication that in the years to come it
would be the business center of the metropolis of the Pacific Coast.

In Los Angeles. November 14, 1904, occurred the marriage of Mr. Gless, when
he was united with Miss Antoinette Carle, who was born in Alsace-Lorraine, France,
the daughter of Antoine and Clementine (Derzoft) Carle, Alsatian farmers. The
mother passed away in 1899, and the following year Antoinette came to Los Angeles
with her father and his family. In the Carle family were four children; A. C, a
rancher in El Toro; Julia, now Mrs. Falkenberg, of Los Angeles; Estelle, wife of
Geo. N. Vusich, resides in Los Angeles, and Antoinette, the youngest, made her home
in Los Angeles until her marriage to Mr. Gless. Her father afterward resided at
El Toro, making his home with Mr. and Mrs. Gless until his death in 1915. After
their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Gless continued to reside at El Toro until they bought
their present place in 1907. It is a splendid ranch of 135 acres, thirty acres being a
bearing orchard of apricots. They also engage in general farming and stock raising,
in whch they are very successful. Mrs. Gless has been an able helpmate to her
husband, encouraging him in his ambition and assisting him in every way possible,
and he attributes much of his success to her assistance and advice.

Two children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Gless: John P. and Madeline
Estelle. The family are members of the Roman Catholic Church at El Toro. and Mr.
Gless shows his belief in cooperation by membership in the California Prune and Apri-
cot Growers .'\ssociation.

FREDRICK STANCKEY.— Thirty-four years ago Fredrick Stanckey became
identified with the .\nahcim section of Orange County, and for thirty years has
owned his well-kept and productive ranch on the County Highway, located half a
mile west of Anaheim. This honored pioneer is justly proud to be recognized as
a self-made man, for he has, in the face of seeming insurmountable difficulties, won
commendal)Ie success. When one realizes that Mr. Stanckey arrived in Anaheim with
but two dollars in cash — a stranger in a new country, unfamiliar with the language
and surroundings, with a family to support — and today is the owner of a profitable
orange grove, and has in the meantime supported and educated his family and accumu-
lated a generous bank account, they can truthfully say he has more than made good,
and his record may well be envied and admired by the succeeding generation.

Fredrick Stanckey was born in Poland in 1845, a son of Michael and .Anna
Stanckey, natives of Germany who moved to Poland in early life. Their family con-



414 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

sisted of seven children, three of whom emigrated to the United States, Fredrick being
the only member of the family now living. From Poland the family migrated to
Russia, and in that country Fredrick was united in marriage with Miss Gustena Lauf-
man, a native of Poland, born in 1843. Mr, and Mrs. Stanckey lived in Russia for
eighteen years, where they reared a large family of children. Two children passed
away in Russia and one in Orange County. The eight living are: Augusta, Mrs.
George Simms; Adolph, Amelia, Mrs. George Lenz; Robert, John, Frederick, Bertha,
Mrs. Ed Sterling, and Julius, the latter being born in Anaheim. The sons are ranchers
and are doing well. Mr. and Mrs. Stanckey are members of the Baptist Church at
Anaheim, and are highly esteemed in the community for their high ideals of citizenship
and unquestioned integrity of character.

WILLIAM SCHUMACHER.— The name of William Schumacher, supervisor of
Orange County, stands for progress, efficiency, and the highest ideals in business
methods in the conduct of the county's affairs. This probity of character and sterling
worth as a citizen of Orange County, are duly recognized by the public and strongly
attested by his long and faithful service as a supervisor, being elected in 1912.

Mr. Schumacher is not only a native son of the Golden State, but of Los An-
geles County, where he was born in 1881, the son of Joseph and Mary Schumacher.
Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Schumacher were the parents of three children, William being
the eldest child in order of birth. Joseph Schumacher passed away in 1887.

In 1903 William Schumacher purchased his present ranch of 100 acres, located
south of Buena Park on Almond Street. Forty acres of his ranch are devoted to citrus
fruit, the remainder to general farming. When he purchased the place it was a dairy
farm, but he soon began extensive improvements; set out orange trees, which are
now in their sixth year, prolific bearers; constructed modern buildings, and in every
way made of his ranch an up-to-date place. Mr. Schumacher is emphatically a man
of energy and action, giving substantial encouragement to every plan for the promo-
tion of the county's welfare, especially for the section he has the honor to represent.

For three years he served with great success as president of the Chamber of
Commerce of Buena Park; is president of the Citrus Orchards .\ssociation, and fra-
ternally is a Mason and member of Buena Park Lodge No. 357, F. & A. M., Fullerton
Chapter, R. A. M., Santa Ana Commandery, Anaheim Lodge No. 1345, B. P. O. Elks.

In June, 1918, William Schumacher was united in marriage with Miss Lulu
Crum. daughter of D. M. and Lydia Crum. Mr. and Mrs. Schumacher have a large
circle of warm personal friends in the county and are most highly esteemed in their
community.

JAMES MERRICK HAZARD.— A grandson of a '49er, and a member of a very
prominent California family who has seen much development in the great Golden
State, is John Merrick Hazard, who first came to Los Angeles in the early seventies.
He was born in Ionia, Mich., on October 5, 1857, the son of Charles Hazard, a native
of that state, who followed carpentering and building. He served in the Civil War,
and was married to Miss Amelia Chrysler, also a native of Michigan. In 1870 he
came out to Los Angeles, and a year later the family joined him. Grandfather Mer-
rick Hazard had 'crossed the plains to California in 1849, and had ventured into
mining; and after three years he returned East for his family, crossed the plains
again, and settled in Los Angeles. He bought various pieces of land in and around
the city, and died here, a member of the Society of California Pioneers. His son,
Henry T. Hazard, came the second trip later, and in 1889 he was elected to the high
office of mayor of Los Angeles. Charles Hazard' owned a ranch on Slauson Avenue,
and died in Los Angeles in 1902. His widow is still living, past eighty-six years of
age, and resides in Orange County. Four children were born to this worthy couple.
Amelia is Mrs. Farris, and lives in the Commonwealth district; James Merrick is the
subject of our review; William Herman is in Santa Barbara, and Nellie M. is Mrs.
Donaldson, of Templeton, California.

James Merrick went to school in Michigan, and in 1871 came to Los .\ngeles,
at one of the most interesting periods in the city's history. According to Mr. Hazard's
recollection, there was no cross street south of First until one came to Ninth, and
that was called Squaw Lane. . He attended school in the Green Meadow district,
and early learned the routine work of a farm, so that he ran the ranch of eighty
acres, and raised grain and stock. He continued at home until he was eighteen years
of age. when he learned the trade of the carpenter. Later he engaged in contract
building, and erected the first house in Ontario for his residence, and also worked
on the building of the hotel for Chaflfee Brothers.

In 1886 Mr. Hazard removed to Templeton, in San Luis- Obispo County, where
he bought a farm and went in for the raising of grain and stock. He was troubled,



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 415

however, with squirrels, which destroyed his crops. After a couple of years he went
to Stanford University and assisted, for nine months, in the building of that new
institution. Then he removed to San Francisco, and worked at the building of coal
bunkers, and when they were completed, and James Kinsman was superintending their
operation, Mr. Hazard remained also and acted as foreman, with a hundred men under
him. In 1899 he served as construction engineer in the Quartermaster's Department,
U. S. A., in the Philippines, returning to San Francisco in 1900.

While residing in San Francisco, however, Mr. Hazard suffered much from
sciatica, and this led him to quit the place and to go to Pittsburg Landing, Cal.
There, with the same James Kinsman, he built a factory for briquettes; and, when
he had recovered his health, he returned to San Francisco. Three months later, the
sciatica again attacked him, and then he came down into the Southland; and as Mrs.
•Hazard liked the change, he decided to remain. He was for a year at Long Beach, and
then in 1906 he bought forty acres of land in Orange County, on North Street and
Anaheim Road, raw and covered with cactus and brush; but he cleared and leveled
it, and set out the entire tract to Valencia oranges, and raised and budded the trees.
He also cleared for himself some twenty acres on Anaheim Road in the Common-
wealth district. Of his former holdings, he has sold all but thirty acres, and on
these, an honored "old settler," he resides in comfort.

At San Jose, Mr. Hazard married Miss Ella V. Mayo, a native of San Jose,
and the daughter of James Mayo, who was superintendent of the New Almaden Quick-
silver Mine. She was a most estimable lady, and her demise on February 5, 1919,
was widely mourned. A son, James Mayo Hazard, is the well-known rancher and
horticulturist, who takes care of the Hazard ranch.

In national political affairs, Mr. Hazard lets his Republican colors fly to the
breeze; but he is too much of a pioneer to be willing to permit partisanship to bias
or hinder him in the support of any worthy local measure, and nowhere is there a
better "booster" for state, county and town. The family attend the Episcopal Church

OTTO DARGATZ. — A successful orange-grower, fortunate in his wife as a prac-
tical, industrious helpmate, is Otto Dargatz. who entered upon a tract of sagebrush
and cactus and. by intelligent, hard labor, transformed the wild land in the most
creditable manner into a fine orange grove, situated on Olive Street, in Anaheim, to
which city he came in 1894. He was born in Coeslin, Pomerania, on June 10. 1869,
reared on a farm and sent to the North German schools. His father was Carl Dar-
gatz. who removed with his family to Russia, where they spent eleven years; and there
he passed away.

Called upon to do the usual military service e.xpected of a young man of his age,
Otto returned to Germany, was released from service, and then went back to Russia,
where he helped improve the home place. However, he could not get a deed to the
property, on which account he sold out and returned to Germany with his mother.

A brother, Albert, had come out to California and had done well; and, influenced
by his example and letters. Otto, after a year and a half at home, concluded to follow.
He arrived in -Anaheim in 1894, and eighteen months thereafter his mother and sister
joined him. She later passed away in Canada, while with our subject. .\t first he
went to work on farms in and around Anaheim, and then he bought ten acres in West
Anaheim, which he sold to his brother.

In 1899 he went to Alberta, Canada, and homesteaded 160 acres of land, which
he improved by grubbing out and clearing, and by planting grain. When he had man-
aged this successfully for four years, he sold it and returned to California and Ana-
heim. He bought back the old ten acres, and three months later sold them again.
Then he purchased his present nineteen acres on Olive Street — at that time a stretch
of cactus and brush, calling for much hard work to clear and I'evel; he sunk a well,
and in copartnership with others, put in a pumping plant. He raised his own nursery
stock of orange trees; he budded them as Valencias, and he set out his entire acreage
to that variety of citrus fruit tree. He also bought a place in Wasco, Kern County,
which he improved to alfalfa and then sold, and in December, 1919, he purchased twenty
acres in West.. Anaheim, which he has set out to Valencia oranges.

.At .■\naheim, Mr. Dargatz was married to Miss Emelia Peters, a native of
Poland, who came to California as a young lady. Four of their children are still living.
Leo is ranching in West .Anaheim; Herman, Martha and .Await are at home; .Arthur
died June 17, 1920, at sixteen years of age. The family belong to the German Baptist
Church of .Anaheim, where Mr. Dargatz is a trustee. He is a Republican in national
politics, and a nonpartisan "booster" of anything v/orth while likely to help Anaheim
and Orange County.



416 HISTORY OF ORAXGE COUNTY

HENRY KROEGER.— A resident of Anaheim enjoying the enviable distinction
of being the oldest living settler in the town is Henry Kroeger, who was born in
Bramstadt. Holstein, then a part of Denmark, on November 24. 1830, where he was
reared on a farm. He learned the cooper's trade, responded for military service, and
when the Revolution of 1848 broke out on the twenty-third of March, in both Germany
and Holstein, he fought with the forces of Denmark as lieutenant in the heavy artillery,
during 1848 and 1849, and was an aide-de-camp on the stafT of General Von Wissel.

Breaking away from the associations of home and fatherland in 1854, Mr. Kroeger
came to America and to far-away San Francisco, and there started a cooper-shop. Two
years later, he joined the Vigilantes and helped preserve law and order in the Bay City
by meting out a little law to those who had never really known the desired-for blessing.
In 1858, he bought a share in the Los Angeles Vineyard Society from Colonel John
Froehling, and another share from Mr. Leutkens, six or eight months after the society's
organization, and in 1860 he made his first visit to Anaheim.

In 1862, he settled here with his family, and began, with the rest of them, to raise
vines. He opened a winery and set up a distillery, and contributed his share to the
development of this industry until the middle eighties, when disease struck the grape
vines, and disaster spread over the Southland. Convinced that it was "all up" with the
vineyards, Mr. Kroeger set out Valencia and Navel orange trees, transforming his
twenty acres on East Center Street, and his hundred acres, besides, in Fullerton. North
of Anaheim, he came to have twenty acres in walnuts, and to the southwest of the same
town, another twenty acres of the same nuts. With Messrs. Rimpau and Melrose, he
owned a two-fifths interest in 130 acres in Placentia.

He built for himself a fine residence on East Center Street, where he still dwells,
and he erected the old Commercial Hotel, on the present site of the Valencia Hotel. He
also built Kroeger's Hall, and he put up another building adjoining the hall, and still
another to the west — all in the early, bustling days of Anaheim, when the good burghers,
enjoying life rather according to the Old World standards, were fond of "doing
things" and needed roofs under which to give way to their activities. He owned a good
deal of other valuable property in the county, and in 1888 built the Hotel del Campo, in
association with others. This enterprise was not a financial success; and much of the
loss, unfortunately, fell upon him.

In 1857, at San Francisco, Mr. Kroeger was married to Sophia Husman, a native of
Hanover, Germany, who died on July 30, 1903. They were granted fourteen children,
and just seven of the number are living today. Henrietta is Mrs. Schindler of Anaheim;
William is at Fullerton, and so is his next youngest sister, Sophia, Mrs. Matter. Henry
J. is a horticulturist of Fullerton, Louis is active at Anaheim, and Pauline, who owns the
old home on East Center Street, is the wife of John Brunworth of Anaheim. Amelia,
the youngest of those surviving, is the wife of L. D. Bradley of Riverside. Mr. Kroeger
was the second mayor of Anaheim in 1868. He was prominent in church circles and
helped build up the first churches in town.

When the war broke out between the United States and Spain. Henry Kroeger,
patriotic American and still a doughty soldier in his martial spirit, offered his services
to General Nelson A. Miles, for the coast defense in California. Dewey, however, made
such short work of the Spanish navy in Pacific waters that this generous offer was not
accepted; and the veteran pioneer was permitted to continue in his peaceful daily walks,
amid an environment recalling days of happiness and comfortable prosperity certainly
not eclipsed in many ways by those of more modern times.

D. G. COLE.— A member of the real estate firm of Cole & Hardy of Santa Ana,
D. G. Cole has been identified with the realty business of Orange County since first
coming here in 1897. Mr. Cole was born on September 2, 1854. in Rock Run Township,
Stephenson County, 111., a son of Wilson and Charlotte (Deighton) Cole, the father a
native of New York State, while Mrs. Cole was born in England. W'ilson Cole was
one of the pioneer settlers of Stephenson County, having come there with his family
in the early forties. He was a prominent farmer there until his death, which occurred
in 1866 when D. G. Cole was but twelve years old, the mother having passed away four
years previous. There were eight children in the Cole family, all boys, and seven of
them grew up to maturity.

Naturally, the loss of both parents made Mr. Cole's early life much more difficult,
but the energy and determination to succeed were strong within him, and especially
was he desirous of securing as good an education as possible. He began working out
on farms by the month when but a lad, improving the meager educational opportunities
that his circumstances afforded. When he was seventeen years of age, he went to
Nebraska with his older brother, Adelbert Cole, now a well-known physician of Britt,
Iowa. They took up pre-emptions in Hamilton County in that State, but D. G. lost his



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 417

because of his minority. He then returned to Stephenson County, and attended school
at Freeport, 111. He then attended the college at Dixon, 111., later taking the teacher's
e.xamination and teaching school for one term in Stephenson County, 111.

Returning to Nebraska. Mr. Cole purchased the farm of his brother, Adelbert Cole,
m Hamilton County, and here he became interested in agriculture, continuing there until
1897, when he came to California and located in Orange County. Shortly after coming
here he began dealing in real estate, and since that time he has been actively engaged
in the purchase and sale of both city and ranch property the greater part of the time.

Mr. Cole is perhaps even better known in Orange County as a walnut grower, as
he has for many years been interested financially in this industry and is a member of
the Santa Ana Walnut Growers Association. He is the owner of three fine walnut
ranches, one of forty acres at Garden Grove, a twenty-acre grove at Santa Ana, and
one of twelve acres at Tustin, on Williams Street, where he lives. Through years of
practical experience he has gained a thorough knowledge of walnut production, and
in his community he is considered an authority on the subject, and his holdings show
the care of an experienced grower.

In 1881, Mr. Cole was united in marriage with Miss Johanna McCarthy, the
ceremony being solemnized at Harrison, Winnebago County, 111. Mr. and Mrs. Cole
are the parents of four children. The three eldest were born in Nebraska: George,
married Miss Maude Williams and lives near Garden Grove; Fred L., married Miss



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 49 of 191)