Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 50 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 50 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Leo Yost, of a pioneer Santa Ana family, and they are the parents of two children;
Myrtle, is now the wife of Ernest Wakeham, a rancher at Stockton, Cal., and they have
four children; Ralph was born in Orange County, and resides at the home place.

Beginning life under disadvantages, owing to the death of both his parents when
he was quite young, Mr. Cole is indeed deserving of the splendid success he has made,
and he is now numbered among Orange County's most substantial citizens. A man of
strict integrity, he has always been enthusiastic in the promotion of every project
advanced whose tendency is to benefit the entire community. Mr. and Mrs. Cole are
members of the Congregational Church at Santa Ana, and in political matters Mr. Cole
is a Republican. Fraternally he is a member of the Santa Ana Lodge of Masons.

THOMAS JESSUP.— Among Southern California's big industries, that of horti-
culture has attracted men of intelligence, many of whom have gained a competency in
this vocation, and the county's rapid growth and consequent increasing prosperity is
largely due to their good judgment and efforts.

Thomas Jessup, an extensive and successful rancher, is the owner of a well-kept
and remunerative forty-eight-acre ranch three-quarters of a mile southeast of Garden
Grove, forty acres of which is in walnuts and the remainder planted to Valencia
oranges. He raises lima beans on his property, interplanting the walnut trees with
the legumes, and also owns a ten-acre Valencia orange grove at Fifth and English,
Santa Ana. Additionally, he rents 600 acres of the James Irvine ranch, on which he
raises lima beans. He has been one of the tenants of the estate since 1900.

Mr. Jessup was born near Fairbury, in Livingston County, 111., December 30, 1859,
and is the son of Richard Jessup, a native of Queens County, Ireland, and Ellen (Dunne)
Jessup, a native of Pennsylvania. His parents were married in Pennsylvania and
removed to Livingston County, 111., to become prosperous farmers. They reared a
family of eight children, four of whom survive, and Thomas is the only one of the
family living in California. He grew up on his father's farm and was educated in
the common schools. His marriage occurred in Livingston County, and united him
with Miss Effie M. Johnson, a native of that county, and the only daughter of W. H.
and Mattie C. (Tyler) Johnson. After his marriage he continued the occupation of
tilling the soil in Illinois until February, 1888. when he removed to Garden Grove, Cal.,
which at that time was a part of Los Angeles County. Grain farming abounded there
at that time, and there was little else. Mr. and Mrs. Jessup are the parents of eight
children: Harry, a rancher on the San Joaquin, married Miss Lillian Beswick, and they
have two children; Bertha is the wife of A. L. Trickey, a rancher on the San Joaquin,
and she is the mother of two children; Vera is single and is a telegraph operator in Los
Angeles; Stella is the wife of Harry Reel, an orange grower at Orange. George died
at the age of three and a half; Gladys graduated from the Anaheim high school and is
now a student in the State Normal; Thomas is in the Anaheim high school; and Effie
is a student in the Santa Ana high school.

In the machinery he uses Mr. Jessup is up to date. He has a forty-five-horse-
power Holt tractor and a full complement of horses, mules and machinery for properly
carrying on his extensive agricultural and horticultural enterprises. He sunk a well
351 feet deep on his ranch, giving him plenty of water for irrigation. Actively energetic



418 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

and progressive, his success is due to close application and excellent management. He
is recognized as one of the broad-minded, public-spirited citizens of the community, and
is justly popular among his many friends and neighbors. He lives contentedly and
happily with his family in his commodious country residence, which is perhaps the
largest residence in Buaro Precinct. Politically he casts his vote with the Republicans.

RICHARD MELROSE.— The bar of Orange County has been distinguished by
the high character of its personnel, as may be illustrated in the life, character and
accomplishment of the well-known attorney, Richard Melrose, who was born at
Glasgow, a member of one of the most honored families of Scotland, pleasantly
associated with Scotch history and tradition. The date of his birth was February 4,
1850, and his parents both died when he was a child. There were seven children in the
family, and he was the youngest child. The first fourteen years of his life were spent
in Scotland, and the first instruction he received was given him by his mother.

Having come to the United States in 1864, Mr. Melrose for seventeen years
engaged in newspaper work, a part of the time on the Pacific Coast; for he arrived in
California as .early as 1864, and settled in Los Angeles in 1865. He removed to
Anaheim in 1870, studied law privately, and was admitted to the California bar at Los
Angeles in 1887. Mr. Melrose is thus the oldest attorney in Los Angeles County, and
of especial interest as a counsellor who has practiced law alone during most of the
time. Always active as a Republican in national and state politics, Mr. Melrose was
appointed postmaster by President Chester A. Arthur in 1884; was presidential elector
in 1904, on the Roosevelt ticket, and he served in the state legislature in 1909. For
fourteen years he was a trustee of the State Normal School at Los Angeles, and he
was chairman of the board for eight years. During the recent war he was a member
of the exemption board for Orange County.

At Anaheim, in 1874, Mr. Melrose was married to Miss Mary Kuchel, a native of
Indiana, and three children were born to them: Jessie, now Mrs. F. A. Backs, Jr.,
Winifred and Allan. There are two grandchildren, Florence Backs and Richard A.
Melrose, both worthy descendants of a worthy progenitor. Mr. Melrose belongs to
both the Knights of Pythias and the Elks; and he and his devoted wife live in com-
fortable retirement, buoyed up with the memories of useful and pleasant years.

FRANK SHANLEY. — Orange County has never failed to honor those distin-
guished pioneer citizens who helped to lay broad and deep the foundations for the
great commonwealth of California, and among those whom posterity ever will honor
for both his character and life, and their influence upon his own and succeeding gen-
erations, is the late Frank Shanley, whom the green isle of Erin claimed with pride
as the land of his birth. When he was two years of age, his fafnily removed to Edin-
burgh, Scotland, and there in that beautiful and romantic city of the north he was
reared and educated.

He learned the trade of the shoemaker, and specialized in the making and fitting
of "uppers," starting in at his ninth year, giving seven years to the apprenticeship,
and becoming a journeyman at the early age of sixteen. For a while he followed his
trade in England; but convinced that the New World would offer greater advantages,
he crossed the ocean to America, arriving in New York in the month of August.

He located first at Pittsburgh, and there opened a little workshop; and as it was
the period when the high-legged boots were going out of style, and the modern shoes
coming in, he was swamped with orders which, notwithstanding the help given him
by his wife, he could hardly fill. Later, he entered the employ of the McCarten Shoe
Company, and his work proving more than satisfactory, he was taken into the firm.
The name of the establishment was then changed to that of McCarten & Shanley, and
on the death of the former, Mr. Shanley purchased his share in the firm and continued
the business alone.

In 1896 he sold out, came west to California, and located at Anaheim; and in
April of the same year he bought fifteen acres of walnut and fruit orchard on South
Lemon Street, which he greatly improved. He built a fine, two-story home, and
otherwise added to his property. Prior to this, and during the boom in Salt Lake City,
he bought property there and erected a very creditable business block, an ornament
as well as an addition to the city, which is now the property of his wisely-managing
widow.

.'\s a genuine path-breaker in movements of much significance for the future, Mr.
Shanley was one of the founders of the First National Bank of Anaheim, and as its
vice-president, took an active part in its management. He was very proud of the
growth and success of the bank, and actively participated in its aflfairs until the time
of his death. He was elected president of the American Savings Bank of Anaheim



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 421

upon its organization May 11, 1905, serving until January 11, 1916. Soon aftCr his
arrival here he was elected to the office of justice of the peace, and as Judge Shanley he
discharged this serious and delicate responsibility to his fellow citizens for four years.
He was public-spirited to a large degree, and was always ready to put his shoulder
to the wheel and advance in any legitimate way the best interests of Anaheim.

In the good old Quaker town of Darlington, England, on the Skerne, over which
is a picturesque bridge of several arches, and not far Jrom the famous cathedral city
of Durham, on May 17, 1864, Mr. Shanley was married to Miss Marie C. McCabe, a
native of England, but a popular lass of Irish parentage, who now resides in a fine
modern bungalow at 201 South Palm Street, Anaheim, the center of a large circle of
admiring friends. Mr. Shanley was always fond of children, and they liked him, and
his devoted wife shared his pleasure in giving to charity. In his will he bequeathed
a third of his estate to the St. Catherine Orphanage of Anaheim; he had been a good
host, and only after his death, on July 10, 1918, was the old homestead sold. "Cali-
fornia has reason to be thankful for many blessings, and among them for such lives
as that of Mr. Shanley, who worked hard and, having once established himself and
his household on a firm, self-respecting and independent basis, began to do good, when-
ever and wherever he could, and with means he had a perfect right to dispose of as
the generous impulses of his kindly heart and the sound conclusions of his trained
mind dictated.

DAVID R. S. SHAFFER.— Hale and hearty at the age of eighty-three, with a
truly remarkable memory for names and dates, and with the lucid and logical mentality
and physical vigor of men many years his junior, David R. S. Shaffer is living retired
on his twenty-acre ranch near Westminster. A Southerner by birth, Mr. Shaffer was
born in Page County, Va.. in the Shenandoah Valley, eighty miles south of Harpers
Ferry, October li, 1837. His parents were Isaac and Mary (Rothgeb) Shaffer, both
natives of the Shenandoah Valley, as was his paternal grandfather, Samuel Shaffer.
Isaac Shaffer passed away during the Civil "War, his widow surviving him until 1881.
There were five children in the Shaffer family, David being the only son; one sister is
still living, Mrs. Mary C. Gander, eighty-four years of age, who lives in Butler
County, Missouri.

David Shaffer was educated in the common schools in the vicinity of his home
and also in a seminary at Luray, Va., and as soon as he was old enough he helped in
the work about the farm. He continued on the home place with his father, assuming
more and more of the responsibility, until he was twenty-three years old. In the
meantime he had taught several terms in the village school near his home, and he
became ambitious for better opportunities than his home surroundings afforded, so in
1860 he set out for what then seemed the Far West, settling in Cooper County, Mo.,
teaching school there and in Moniteau and Morgan counties. When the Civil War
broke out he was working in the mill of his cousin, John Rothgeb, in Cooper County.
Although we was of Southern birth, he was always opposed to slavery, and was an
ardent Whig. He refused to join the "Bushwhackers," as the marauding bands of
Rebel sympathizers were known, and was threatened with hanging. He then returned
to Ohio, locating in Cheshire, in Gallia County, engaging at the carpenter's trade in
summer seasons and teaching during the winter months; but before long he enlisted in
the Ohio National Guard; he had in the meantime belonged to the famous "Squirrel
Hunters." For two years he did guard duty on the Ohio River, and when Lincoln's
last call for troops came, on May 4, 1864, the national guard regiment of which he was
a member enlisted as a whole, being mustered in as the One Hundred Forty-first Ohio
Volunteer Infantry. Mr. Shaffer continued his work of guard duty, being stationed on
the road to Charlestown, W. Va., to guard supply trains. He received his honorable
discharge in September, 1864, being mustered out at Gallipolis, Ohio.

Mr. Shaffer took up the carpenter's trade again after the war was over, locating
at Addison, Ohio, and here later he established himself in the mercantile business in
this town on the banks of the Ohio River. For nineteen years he continued in business
there with uninterrupted success, but in 1884 there was a big flood in the river, in which
he lost much of his stock and also suffered damage to his buildings, the whole amounting
to over $6,000. He then started a broom factory in Addison, but after a short while
he decided to remove to California. He first located in Santa Barbara County, in
September, 1890, where he engaged in ranching until the fall of 1891. when he went
to Los Angeles County and took up a homestead claim in the Antelope Valley, and
for seven years made this his home, following dairying, stock and poultry raising. In
1899 he left his property and came to Orange County, purchasing the twenty-acre
ranch near Westminster where he still makes his home, later disposing of his



422 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

homestead in the Valley. For thirteen years he continued in its active management
and developed it into a very profitable property through general farming, dairying and
poultry raising.

Mr. Shaffer's first marriage occurred in June, 1865, when he was united with
Miss Louisa Roush. She passed away in 1881. leaving three children: Joseph V. is
now in California and has two children in Riverside; Vesta D. is the wife of Ambrose
Chapell of Columbus, Ohio, and has one daughter; David Howard came to California
with his father, and passed away at Santa Barbara in 1910, leaving a widow and one
child. In 1884 Mr. Shaffer was married to Miss Alice Hill, a native of Mason
County, Va.

Early in life Mr. Shaffer espoused the cause of Prohibition when it was far from
being popular, and canvassed Gallia County, Ohio, in the interests of that party in
1881. He became an orator of note in the Prohibition ranks, and his strong personality,
clear'ideas and native eloquence made him a mighty power against the liquor traftic; he
rejoices to have lived to see the enforcement of the laws for which he labored so
earnestly for so many years. For the last twenty-six years he has worked with the
Socialist party and is proud of its advancement thus far. A true humanitarian, he has
always been a liberal in his ideas, and is a great admirer of the works of the late
Robert W. Ingersoll. He is a member of Sedgwick Post No. 17, G. A. R., at Santa
Ana. Living retired now in his comfortable home, he can look back upon a clean,
consistent, industrious, studious and well-spent life.

PRESCOTT ALLEN. — A successful rancher of the kind that has always re-
flected the highest honor upon Orange County is Prescott Allen, whose experience as
a progressive walnut grower might well point the way to and encourage others in the
same field. He owns a beautiful home ranch of thirty acres at 614 South McClay
Street. Santa Ana, where so late as 1910 he built his fine modern residence.

He was born in Oxford County, Ontario. Canada, near the town of Ingersoll and
eighteen miles from Woodstock, the county seat, on June 18, 1836, the son of- Nathan
Prescott Allen, who came to Canada from New York State soon after the War of
1812. He was born in Mohawk County, New York, and on March 7, 1822, was married
to Miss Armena Mott, a native of Albany County, New York, where she was born
on September 10, 1804. They had ten children, of whom Prescott is the sixth in
order of birth; and of this large family, besides our subject only a sister, Mrs. Sarah
Louisa (Allen) Dawes, is now living. She was born on July 27, 1838, and is now a
widow, residing on French Street, Santa Ana.

Mr. Allen was educated in the common schools of Canada, and helped his father
clear up a farm of 278 acres. He had to grub, to clear away stumps and stones, and
to swing the cradle, axe and scythe; for at that time the great reapers were not in-
vented. In February, 1862, he came to California by way of the Isthmus, and on the
twenty-eighth of that month he landed at San Francisco.

For a while, he went into Nevada at the time of the Comstock excitement, and
there he tried the hard labor of the logging camps, but had to give it up on account of
the mountain fever. He went back to Sacramento and worked at various pursuits, and
in 1863 he ran a ranch and went broke in the attempt to raise tobacco. Then he
started anew and worked at various places.

After three years of life in California, Mr. Allen returned to his home in Canada,
and when he had been there a couple of years, he was married, on November 21, 1867,
to Miss Lydia J. Talbot, who was born on November IS, 1836, and died near Silver
City, N. M., March 30, 1892. Four children blessed the union. Minnie died Novem-
ber 20, 1869, aged five months; May is the wife of J. W. Carter, the cashier of the
First National Bank of Silver City, N. M.; Edith is the widow of Joe E. Sheridan, mine
inspector for the state of New Mexico. He was an editor, a postmaster and a very
prominent citizen there, and his demise, on July 17, 1920. was widely regretted, leav-
ing his wife and daughter Margaret, Mrs. Fay. who was also bereaved of her husband,
and they in turn had a little daughter named Margaret Louise. Mrs. Sheridan and
Mrs. Fay now make their home on Lyon Street, Santa Ana. Margaret, the fourth
child, presides gracefully over her father's house and gladdens the lives of all privi-
leged to know her.

The progenitor of this branch of the Allen family was James x\llen, a relative
of Rev. John Allen, who was a powerful Puritan preacher driven from England and
led to join the Puritans who migrated to the New World. He helped to establish
the Massachusetts Bay Colony, and in 1637 was the first settled minister at Dedham,
Mass. This family has always espoused the cause of education and the ideals of the
higher life, and. according to authentic records, sixty-five persons of the name of Allen
had been graduated from New England colleges before the year 182S, and of this




(A^e.^=^(2Mc.<^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 425

number seventeen were ministers of the Gospel. General Ethan Allen was of the
same family; so was General Israel Putnam, and some of the leading advocates of
temperance have sprung from the Allen stock. Nathan Prescott Allen, the father of
our subject, for example, helped to organize the first temperance society in Canada —
a sturdy millwright and farmer, who let his light shine in the neighborhood in which
he dwelt.

He died in the summer of 1865, and Prescott and an older brother, Horatio A.
Allen, took over the father's estate and paid off the balance of the heirs. He worked
on the old home farm for two years, or during 1865-66, and then sold out; and a few
days after his marriage he came VV^est to look for more promising fields. He farmed
for a while in Afton, Union County, Iowa, and bought out a store sixty miles west
of Chariton, in that state, at that time the western terminus of the Burlington Rail-
way. He continued as a storekeeper at Afton for twelve years, and still later for
three years he had a store at Shenandoah, in Iowa. He then went to Silver City,
N. M., and for three years engaged in mercantile pursuits, and next he took up ranch-
ing, setting out twenty-five acres of fruit trees and raising some 2,500 goats.

From Silver City, Mr. Allen moved to California, and in 1897 settled on his pres-
ent place. Only eight acres were then planted to walnuts; but he afterwards bought
fifteen additional acres of six-year-old trees, and since then he has set out about twelve
more acres, so that he now has, all in all, about thirty acres of excellent walnuts.

A Republican in matters of national political import, but a citizen who believes
in nonpartisanship in the administration of local affairs, Mr. Allen is a member of the
First Methodist Episcopal Church of Santa Ana and, with his family, always ready for
the upbuilding as well as the building up of town and county.

AUGUSTUS HORATIO ALLEN.— A progressive, exceptionally active and able
young man who is successfully operating two ranches, one of twenty and one of thirty
acres, a part of the estate of the late Horatio A. Allen, doing much of the work himself
with the most up-to-date machinery and according to the most approved methods, is
Augustus Horatio Allen. A native son of California, Mr. Allen was born at Tustin
April 8, 1893, his parents being Horatio Augustus and Emma (German) Allen, both
born in Ontario. Canada, a review of their lives appearing on another page of this
history. The father, who was for many years a prominent banker in Canada, located
at Tustin in 1886, and at once began the development of a tract of eight acres which
he had purchased. As the years went by he met with prosperity and added to his
holdings until they comprised eighty acres, in five ranches, the larger part of the
acreage being devoted to walnuts, the remainder a thriving grove of Valencia oranges.

Reared on the home place, Augustus Horatio Allen received his early education
in the local school, attending the Orange Union high school for two years, later
entering the Los Angeles Military Academy, where he graduated with honors in 1911.
Two years later, on June 6, he was married to Miss Georgia Liggett, the daughter of
Mr. and Mrs. George W. Liggett, now of Fresno. Two children have blessed their
union, Barbara and Jean.

As has been said, Mr. Allen takes hold of the work himself, not content merely
to direct the labor of others, and frequently runs the Cletrac tractor, which is only
one of the many of the up-to-date machines and implements making up an enviable
complement for his farm work. He looks far ahead, and heeds both the last word of
science and the practical experience of the veteran agriculturist whose schooling has
generally been confined to the ranch itself; and so his groves and orchards yield well.

Two brothers of Mr. Allen also bid fair to attain their measure of success, if,
indeed, they have not come to enjoy the same already. Lucius is a rancher at Tustin,
and Gerald N., who, with his mother, lives in Los Angeles, and is a freshman at
Occidental College. In national politics Mr. Allen is a Republican; but he knows no
partisanship in his attitude toward problems of local import, and heartily supports the
home district.

ROBERT D. BACON.— To be recognized as a "self-made" man is the honor
accorded to Robert D. Bacon, a pioneer of Buena Park, Orange County, and one of
the most successful and progressive ranchers of that section.

He is a native of Illinois, born May 13, 1865, in Macoupin County, son of Thomas
and Mary (Hoover) Bacon, the former an Englishman by birth, while the mother was
a native of Indiana. At the age of twelve years. Robert was deprived of the love and
care of his mother, she having passed away in 1877; his father survived until 1898. It
was in his native state that Robert D. Bacon was reared and educated, and where he
remained until 1884, when he moved to southwestern Kansas, where he resided four
years and partly improved a claim.
19



426 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

In 1888 he migrated to the Golden State, locating in Buena Park, Los Angeles
County, where he had a friend with whom he made his stopping place until he could
establish himself. He worked at any honest employment that came his way and helped
to build up Buena Park as it is today. Actuated by that worthy and commendable
desire that should possess every man's life — the owning of a home — Mr. Bacon
purchased two acres of land, which he disposed of later and secured ten acres as the
nucleus of his future ranch. To this ten were added, in due time, and after years of
hard work and successful operation of his ranch he was financially able to purchase
twenty more, giving him a splendid ranch of forty acres. His ranch is improved with



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 50 of 191)