Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 52 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 52 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


1905 his father settled at Orange and there started, with W. W. Ward, what is still
known as Ward's Bakery, although it was then called Cochems & Ward's Bakery. His
father had come to Los Angeles in 1886; and his mother — who is still living with our
subject — followed, bringing her three sons and daughters. Joseph Cochems had
learned his trade in Germany, and so had no difficulty in giving satisfaction to the
public when he opened a bakery in Chicago. On coming to California he opened a
bake-shop first at Los Angeles, and later came to Orange.




< yl^ Cyc^c^v^p^^f-x^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 437

Having learned the art of baking from his father, William Cochems started out
as a journeyman baker, and worked in San Francisco, Santa Barbara and Sacramento,
as well as San Diego; and held positions as baker at the celebrated Hotel del Coronado
and also at the Raymond at Pasadena. Only when he was satisfied tliat he had
mastered the ins and outs of the trade did he set up for himself.

As a starter, he bought out H. L. Smith, in 1901, and took charge of his bakery
at 309 North Main Street, in Santa Ana. Three years later he removed to 210 East
Fourth Street, and here he has been ever since. He has a full, sanitary equipment for
his bakery, and produces nothing but the purest of pure food, from the best of wheat
flour, eggs, sugar, milk and spices. He uses no substitutes — dried eggs or evaporated
milk. Indeed, in 1913 he expended $10,000 in refitting, remodeling and refurnishing his
place, and among other things then installed was his elaborate soda fountain. He also
has one of the best-arranged, cosy and elegant lunch rooms, ice-cream parlors and
confectioneries. He bakes the Butter Top — the best of wheat breads — French, Graham,
whole wheat and rye bread, and also a complete line of cakes. He manufactures his
own ice cream, from pure cream, his watchword being, "Not how cheap, but how
good." He employs five people, and they, as well as himself, are always busy. His
ice cream being of the high quality described, he makes it only for the retail trade.
No wonder, then, that everybody goes to the "Vienna," and that everybody comes
away satisfied.

Having started in Santa Ana in busmess for himself with just one week's wages
as his capital, and worked hard and practiced the Golden Rule, Mr. Cochems finds
himself today the proprietor of one of the best business establishments in Orange
County, and a small stockholder in the First National Bank, as well as in the new
Santa Ana Hotel. He a>so has a life membership in the Elks.

JAMES ANDREW TURNER.— Associated for nearly a third of a century with
the business interests of Santa Ana, a man of widest influence, the sudden demise of
James A. Turner on October 8, 1919, came as a great shock to his family and wide
circle of friends. Born in Audrain County, Mo.. October 27, 1848, Mr. Turner was
the son of Andrew and Mary (Harris) Turner, both natives of Kentucky, and as a
young married couple they settled in Missouri. His early education was received in
the rural schools of the locality, but, when the Civil War broke out, like other boys
of his age he had to go to work on the farm to help fill the place of the men who
were away fighting for their country. At the age of eighteen he was married to
Sarah Riggs, and two sons were born to them, Benjamin E., who died in May, 1919,
in Santa Ana; and Henry Ola, who died in infancy, Mrs. Turner passing away in 1873.

Locating in Sturgeon, Mo., Mr. Turner engaged in the dry goods business with
Maj. John F. Rucker, and later with his nephew, P. Henry Turner, in the hardware
business. In June, 1887, he came to California with his family and in January, 1888,
settled in Santa Ana, being associated in the shoe business with P. H. Turner who
came to California about the same time, continuing in that line until he became
cashier of the First National Bank of Santa y\na, holding that office for nine years.
In December, 1905, he organized the Farmers and Merchants National Bank, acting
as its cashier. The bank prospered greatly under his management and a few years
later absorbed the Commercial Bank of Santa Ana. In February, 1919, the Farmers
and Merchants Bank merged with the First National Bank and after that time Mr.
Turner gave his time to the interests of the Farmers and Merchants Savings Bank,
the savings department of the First National Bank. On the first of October, 1919,
only eight days before his death, he severed active connection with this institution,
for the purpose of devoting himself to his ranch interests, owning seventy-two acres
in oranges and lemons near Olive, and to get relief from the strain of business life.

On February 12, 1874, Mr. Turner's second marriage occurred when he was united
with Miss Alice Rucker, a sister of Maj. John F. Rucker. Of their children, Ellis B.
died at the age of twenty; Nannie H. passed away at the age of seventeen months;
and Elizabeth is the wife of Thomas L. Inch of Los Angeles; she has one child,
Thomas Turner Inch.

In politics Mr. Turner was active in the ranks of the Democratic party. He
was a Mason and an Elk and attended the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. A
man of fine character and high ideals, he was always a leader in the aflfairs of the com-
munity; his interests in its various enterprises were wide, but it perhaps was as a
banker that he was best known. He knew Orange County like a book, he knew
lands, he knew men, and in his knowledge of men caine his greatest realm of useful-
ness as a banker; and there are today in the vicinity of Santa .'Xna many men whose
present financial prosperity is due to the encouragement and advice and backing
they received from him.



438 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

AARON BUCHHEIM. — A remarkably successful rancher whose attainments and
prosperity are all the more striking because he began life under the necessity for con-
stant work, from the time he was a boy of seven years, is Aaron Buchheim, who owns
the site of Serra. formerly called San Juan-by-the-Sea, an ideal mountain town on the
Pacific Ocean, situated where the State Highway strikes the coast between Los
Angeles and San Diego. He was born at Sauk Center, Stearns County, Minn., on April
oO, 1870, the son of Frank S. Buchheim, who had married Caroline Zymon. When
eleven years old, he came with his parents to California, arriving here on October 11,
1881, and in 1904 his father died at Santa Ana, the mother also passing away here on
January 20, 1915.

Aaron Buchheim began life doing farm work, and the hardest kind of farm work,
at that; he helped take care of the straw at the tail end of the old-time grain threshing
machine as early as 1878, and did his part faithfully, little dreaming that one day he
would undertake the most extensive threshing operations of any person in Orange
County. When he came to California and lost his father, he resolved to be a help to
his mother, his family and his friends; he began as a farm hand on a ranch and he has
thus come to sympathize with the laboring man, and to feel a pride in caring for all
who labor for him.

Mr. and Mrs. Frank S. Buchheim were the parents of twelve children: The eldest,
Lydia, now Mrs. Hemenway, resides at El Toro, where she operates one of the O'Xeill
ranches in partnership with her brother Aaron; Aaron was the second in order of birth;
John is a beet grower near Garden Grove; Jacob is a rancher at Downey; Henry Wil-
liam, the fifth in the order of birth, is ranching both in the San Juan Capistrano district
and in Ventura County; Emma is deceased: Josie is Mrs. Van Whisler, the wife of a
rancher at El Toro; Paul assists his brother Aaron and also' is interested in orange
and walnut growing with him in Ventura County; Frank is married and resides at the
old Buchheim place on East Seventeenth Street, Santa Ana; Fred passed away at the
age of thirty, in Santa Ana, leaving a son, Carl, and a widow, the present Mrs. Aaron
Buchheim; Emil, who also works for his brother Aaron, has an honorable discharge
from the army, having served in the light artillery. Sunset Division, and served over-
seas as first gunner on a French "75." Minnie, who married Henry Hoeffner, resides
in Nebraska.

Mr. Buchheim's cozy home is ably presided over by his wife, who was Miss Alice
Hasenyager before her marriage, a lady of many accomplishments, who was reared in
an atmosphere of culture and refinement. Born at Fall City, Richardson County, Nebr.,
her father was John Hasenyager. a native of Tecumseh, Pawnee County, Nebr., whose
parents were among the first settlers of eastern Nebraska and pioneer farmers of that
section. Her mother, Anna Dietrich in maidenhood, was born near Fall City, Nebr.,
and Grandfather Dietrich was a prominent farmer in Richardson County, Nebr., until
1906, when he and his wife located on an orange ranch on Grand Avenue, Santa Ana.
He passed away in April, 1918, and his widow still makes her home there. John
Hasenyager brought his family to Santa Ana in 1909, and he has ever since been
engaged in walnut growing on Grand Avenue.

Operating some 2,500 acres besides his own land, Mr. Buchheim employs the latest
machinery and methods in scientific farming, using two gigantic threshing machines
drawn by a mighty seventy-five horsepower Holt caterpillar tractor, which also pro-
vides the motive power. One is a grain thresher and the other a bean thresher and
both were built bj' himself, showing his remarkable genius and adaptability as an
inventor. The bean thresher — without doubt the largest in Southern California — was
constructed on his home place in 1916, from plans of his own and is a model of effi-
ciency. When operating at full capacity it turns out six sacks of lima beans a minute,
requiring three sack sowers, and has attracted widespread attention for its success,
having been commented on so favorably that representatives from large threshing-
machine manufacturers have called to see it at work and get new ideas. It is necessary
for him to have a very large threshing outfit since he handles the beans from the fields
and thus has to haul them to the machine, which requires twenty teams and wagons
and a complement of sixty hands to do the work. His own years of experience and
hard work have made him insistent on giving the workmen the best food obtainable
and 'he says "the best is none too good for them." Consequently the whole crew,
almost to a man, remain with him the entire threshing season, which takes about three
months. This excellency of service requires convenience, so he has designed and con-
structed a dining wagon, 11 by 24 feet, with a large steel range in the kitchen, with
the necessary equipment of cooking utensils and pantry facilities, as well as separate
cooling compartments for meats and vegetables, and the room arranged with adjustable
tables having a seating capacity for thirty-six men. Mrs. Buchheim takes an equal




<:ii:J/a4^i/^\J^i^^£cJ^




^2^^^ /SU'6.<i^^^-^^^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 443

interest in providing for the farm employees and much of her husband's success is
undoubtedly due to her.

For many years Mr. Buchheim was the crop reporter for the Capistrano district
for the Department of Agriculture at Washington, and each month would send in a
report to the department as to the amount of acreage, condition and estimate of crops.
This he did with the strictest regularity until his own business affairs took so much of
his time that he could not do other than resign. He was one of the original stock-
holders, with James Turner and others, in the formation of the Farmers and Merchants
Bank of Orange, which recently was consolidated and is now the First National Bank,
in which he is a stockholder. He was also an original stockholder of the Citizens Bank
until it was consolidated and is now the California National Bank, in which he is one
of the stockholders.

Mr. Buchheim has always been interested in sports and particularly in shooting,
in which he excels, and has attained an enviable record as a marksman. For many
years he was a member of the Santa Ana Rifle Club of the National Rifle Association.
At one of the tournaments, shooting a Springfield rifle he won the sharpshooter's medal
making nine hits out of ten shells, all shot inside of twenty minutes, and it was the
best score made at the tournament.

A leader among farmers and working men, Mr. Buchheim has such clear ideas
regarding industry and economics that it is to be hoped that his voice may some day
be heard in legislative halls. In looking back over his life Mr. Buchheim sees that
while he had hard work when a boy, yet the system, industry and application taught
him by his father established with him habits of accuracy and efficiency which he deems
the secret of his success, for he finds that no business can thrive and be successful
without accuracy and efficiency at the bottom, as its fundamental principle. Mrs.
Buchheim is a member of St. Peter's Lutheran Church at Santa Ana and fraternally
Mr. Buchheim is popular as a member of Santa Ana Lodge No. 236, 1. O. O. F., as well
as the Encampment and Canton of the Odd Fellows, and is a life member of the Santa
Ana Lodge of Elks. The Buchheim home is on the land owned by the family and is
attractively located, surrounded by flower and vegetable gardens. Music, art and liter-
ature find a welcome here, and so does discussion of the latest problems of the day.

W. DEAN JOHNSTON.— The president of the Orange County Farm Bureau
and an influential and progressive landowner is W. Dean Johnston of Santa Ana, who
has for many years occupied a place of prominence in the agricultural development of
the county, where he has resided since he was sixteen years old. Mr. Johnston was
born June 13, 1871, at Tipton, Iowa, the son of John and Laura (Safley) Johnston,
pioneer farmers of Iowa. John Johnston was a native of Campbellsford, Ontario,
Canada, and settled in Iowa in 1865, at the age of seventeen. The mother was a native
daughter of Iowa, belonging to the first generation of Iowa girls, her father, John
Safley, having emigrated from Scotland and settled there in 1836, when Iowa was on
the extreme frontier beyond the limits of civilization. Mr. Safley is still remembered
by the people of Santa Ana, having resided on Ross Street for about four years before
his death. Mr. and Mrs. John Johnston and their family left their home at Tipton,
Iowa, in 1886, coming directly to Santa Ana, and there Mr. Johnston still lives, retired
from active business, his wife having passed away in 1914, at the age of sixty-eight
years. There were four children in the Johnston family: Mrs. G. W. Tighe, wife of
a citrus grower and banker at Fillmore, Cal.; William Dean, of this review; Mrs.
J. E- Snow, wife of a real estate broker of Santa Ana; and John Clifford, an electrician
for the Ventura Refining Company at Fillmore, Cal.

W. Dean Johnston received his first schooling at the country schools of their
neighborhood in Iowa, and attended the Santa Ana high school for one year 'after the
family removed here. Always energetic, he made up his mind to start in to ranching
on his own account, and went to Riverside County, where he followed grain and alfalfa
farming for five years, becoming the owner of 100 acres of land, but leased 500 or 600
acres in addition, devoting it largely to the production of barley. In 1906 he returned
to Orange County and became interested in ranching in the vicinity of Westminster.
He is now the owner of two ranches erf eighty acres each, which are devoted to sugar
beets; besides this, he rents three other ranches, aggregating 242 acres of land, which
includes his father's place of twelve acres immediately north of Santa Ana. Mr.
Johnston has grown up in the industry of farming in Southern California, and so is
thoroughly conversant with its best and most progressive methods. He still continues to
conduct his own farming operations, notwithstanding his many other interests, and is
equally at home with an eight-horse team or a caterpillar tractor.

While ranching in Riverside County, Mr. Johnston was married at Elsinore to
Miss Olive Yates, born in San Diego County, and the daughter of Lafayette and Mary



444 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

(Brown) Yates, born, respectively, in Alabama and Kentucky, their marriage occurring
in Arkansas. The family located at Elsinore in 1886, and Mr. Yates still makes his
home there, being well known, especially in Odd Fellow and Knights of Pythias circles.
Before coming to Elsinore he resided in Cajon Valley, San Diego County.

Mr. and Mrs. Johnston are the parents of three children: Adelle, a senior in the
Santa Ana high school, Fred and John. After residing for a number of years on their
ranch near Westminster, the family moved to Santa Ana in March, 1919, and have
established their residence on North Main Street-
Mr. Johnston was prominent in the establishment and organization of the
Westminster Drainage District, and for four years served as its president. While
living at Westminster he served for a number of years on the board of trustees of the
Westminster school district and was president of that board when more land was
purchased for school purposes and the excellent two-story brick building was erected.
He helped organize the Orange County Farm Bureau and was elected on its first
board of directors, serving several terms, and was elected to the presidency in 1919,
an office for which he is admirably fitted. He is also vice-president and a member of
the board of directors of the Orange County Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company.
Fraternally, Mr. Johnston is very prominent in Masonic circles, being a member of the
Blue Lodge at Huntington Beach, and of the Chapter and Commandery at Santa Ana
and the Shriners of Los Angeles. In politics he favors the principles of the Republican
party, but is essentially broad-minded and liberal in his views, especially in local issues.
WILLIAM WILSON. — A well-posted, experienced rancher who, through his own
worth and exertions, has steadily come to the fore, so that now, the owner of a valuable
ranch at Smeltzer, his word is as good as his bond, is William Wilson, a pioneer and
prosperous lima bean grower. He has been twenty-three years on the James Irvine, or
San Joaquin Ranch, and besides the ranch he owns, he leases and operates 232 acres.
He was born near Tipton, Moniteau County, Mo., on April 1, 1864. and was reared on a
farm in Polk County of the same state.

Mr. Wilson's father was Bartlett Elmore Wilson, a farmer who is still living at
the age of seventy-seven in Douglas County, Mo., where he is popularly known as Uncle
Dudd Wilson. He was born in Tennessee, and was of Scotch-English blood. He
had married, in Missouri, Miss Emaline Morris, of Dutch-Irish origin, who was also a
native of Tennessee, and she died when our subject was only four and a half months
old. whereupon his father married again. He had eight children by his second wife, six
boys and two girls, all of whom are living; and among them is a half-brother of William
Wilson, George B. Wilson, the district attorney of Douglas County, Mo. Another half-
brother is the Hon. J, B. Wilson, a member of the Arkansas legislature, while still an-
other half-brother is Thomas Wilson, living at Holly. Colo. Two half-brothers, Francis,
a wheat rancher, and David, a school teacher — live in Montana.

In 1889 William Wilson went to Caldwell, Kans., and was in the rush for Okla-
homa; but he did not stay there. Instead, he came out to the more promising common-
wealth, California, arriving in the Golden State in the spring of 1890. He had been
married in Missouri, in 1885, to Miss Emma Shepard, a native of Michigan, and he thus
had the good fortune to start with the companionship of a wife who has been a
genuine helpmate. He lived at Ventura for seven years, during three of which he
followed agriculture, while at other times he worked at various other pursuits, and
incidentally learned all about growing lima beans.

In October, 1897, Mr. Wilson came south to Orange County; but the following
three years proved so dry and disastrous, that he ran behind and got into debt. He
did not despair, however, but persevered and finally prospered. Now he owns eighty
acres at Smeltzer, irrigated from artesian wells, which his son-in-law rents and farms to
lima beans; and he also raises lima beans where James Irvine once thought he could
raise nothing but barley, and in a thousand ways demonstrated that he is not afraid of
hard work, and plenty of it.

On April 10, 1908, Mrs. Wilson died, the highly-esteemed and lamented mother of
four children: Beryl is a farmer at Chatsworth and the husband of Miss Mamie Jef-
frey of Irvine; Maude is the wife of Earl Lentz. the rancher at Smeltzer. and the mother
of two children; William Oscar Wilson married Miss Leonore Benott. of Irvine, a pros-
perous rancher, and they have two children; Leo B. is the husband of Miss Gladys
Geyer, of Santa Monica, by whom he has had one child. Fraternally Mr. Wilson is a
member of all branches of the Odd Fellows.

Mr. Wilson has for years advocated the principles of the Democratic party, but
he has never allowed party politics to influence his action in matters purely local, where
the needs of a small, mixed community must be considered. He is a wide reader, a deep
thinker, and a good conversationalist; and his influence must necessarily work for the
upbuilding of town and county.



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 447

LUMIS A. EVANS. — A pioneer of two cities — Pasadena and Anaheim — who
started in the good, old-fashioned way as a farm hand contributing his mite toward
the development of American agriculture, Lumis A. Evans, the path-breaking dealer in
Anaheim real estate is one of the very interesting citizens of Orange County. He was
born on a farm in St. Joseph County, Mich., at Centerville, the county seat, on Novem-
ber 8, 1854, and attended the country schools of that section and period. When eight-
een years of age, he removed to New York state, to work on a farm, and later he
secured employment on an Erie Canal boat plying between Buffalo and New York,
an adventure affording him one of the most pleasing experiences of his life. After
two years in New York, he returned to his Michigan home for a brief stay.

In the spring of the Centennial year of 1876, he arrived in California and came
on to the Anaheim district, then in Los Angeles County, after a run through the north-
ern part of the state; and for a couple of years he worked out by the month on
neighboring ranches. In 1878 he was married to Miss Louise Jane Kellogg, a native
of Napa, Cal., and a member of a pioneer family; and after marriage, he started to
farm in the West Anaheim section on the Garden Grove Road. He had ten acres of
his own, and in addition he leased land.

At the end of four years, Mr. Evans located at Pasadena, becoming a pioneer in
the truest sense of the word, for when he arrived there in 1881, the place was so small
that farming was the chief occupation. He lived there for seven years, and farmed
600 acres to grain in what is now the heart of the city. He was there, in fact, through
the big "boom," and also dealt extensively in real estate.

Returning to Anaheim in 1892, he raised sugar beets for the Los Alamitos
Sugar Factory; but since 1900 he has followed realty exclusively, dealing extensively
in orange groves. He has made a special study of soils and relative land conditions,
and has become an authority on that subject; and as the oldest dealer in real estate
in Anaheim, in the matter of years of service, he enjoys an esteem and influence such
as anyone might covet.

Mr. Evans is also a member of a syndicate which has large land interests in
Guatemala, Central America, known as the Guatemala Agricola Central Company,
acting as one of its directors, and they hold a large tract of land which is devoted
especially to cocoanuts, pineapples, and also to sugar cane, grain and stock raising.
In addition, he has extensive mining interests in Sonora, Mexico, which is being oper-
ated as the Esperanza Mining Company.

Ten children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Evans. Alice is the wife of H.
M. Barker of Iowa. Francis is a lumberman in Siskiyou County. Leonard .A. is a grad-
uate of the University of Southern California, holding the diploma through the law
school, and is a well-known practicing attorney at Anaheim, with offices in the First
National Bank Building. Russell is chief engineer of the pumping station of the Gen-
eral Petroleum Oil Company at Nenach. Bayard H. is a member of the fire depart-



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 52 of 191)