Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 54 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 54 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


business man of that place, but the family later removed to St. Louis, and there her
girlhood was spent. Mr. Pelot built up a substantial business there, dealing in coal,
lime and cement, having large yards in that city. He passed away there in 1907, at
the age of fifty-one years; the mother is still living and makes her home with the
Bloms on their beautiful ranch.

Entirely through his own eflforts Mr. Blom has, by his untiring industry, reached
a high degree of success, and he is now enjoying the fruits of his labor. He is devoted
to the country of his adoption and is a firm believer in the permanent prosperity of
this section of the country.

JOHN BRUNWORTH.— A liberal-minded, kind-hearted gentleman, who has im-
proved acreage and who never fails to entertain with his interesting and instructive
stories of early-settler days, is John Brunworth, of East Center Street. Anaheim. He
was born at Edwardsville, Madison County, 111., on New Year's Day, 1861, the son of
Henry Brunworth, who came to St. Louis when that city was a small French town. He
soon removed to Madison County and rented land, farming until he got a start; and
finally he bought a tract on the rich prairies, and improved it, and added to that by
other purchases, so that now, still living at the age of ninety-six, past, he owns 180
acres of very choice farm land. He had married Miss Sophia Buettemeier, who died
at the old home. They had ten children, six of whom are at present living; and
among those John was the second in the order of birth.

He was brought up in Illinois, where he attended the public schools, and he early
went to work at grain growing and stock raising. He also ran a steam thresher for
seven years, and did general farming until 1887, when he came to Los Angeles, Cal.
The town was then a small place, with not a foot of paving, and he went to work
for a liveryman as floor manager. After that, for four years, he was a truck driver
for Hellman, Haas and Company, and it was not until 1893 that he located at Anaheim.

He bought ten acres on Sycamore Street, planted to walnuts and figs; but he
soon dug the figs out, and, instead, set out oranges. In 1910, he bought another ten
acres which he improved, again setting out walnuts and oranges; so that he had twenty
acres, which he managed with success until 1917, when he disposed of his holdings.
He still owns residence property in Anaheim.

In Los Angeles Mr. Brunworth was married to Miss Ernestine Frederick, a native
of Germany who died at Anaheim, the mother of two children. Albert was in the
Sixth U. S. Marines, Second Division, and served overseas, on the Argonne front,
without getting a scratch; Eleanor Brunworth became Mrs. Dyer of Hollywood. Mr.
Brunworth married a second time, at Anaheim, choosing for his bride Miss Pauline
Kroeger, a native of Anaheim and the daughter of Henry Kroeger, one of the pioneers
of the town. A Democrat in national politics, Mr. Brunworth is a nonpartisan "booster"
in every local movement giving promise of contributing toward the building up and
the elevating of the community and county in which he lives, works and prospers. He
attends the Lutheran Church of Anaheim.




O-t^^.-^^ ^^s^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 459

COLUM C. CHAPMAN. — Prominent among the level-headed, far-seeing men of
invaluable experience and unimpeachable integrity, to whom not only Orange County
but Southern California will ever be agreeably indebted for public-spirited interest and
years of unselfish service in both the development of the state's resources and the
upbuilding as well as the building up of the communities with which he has had to do,
must be mentioned Colum C. Chapman, of the well-known Eastern family which has
come to play such an enviable role, in one way or other, in the Golden State. He was
born at Macomb. McDonough County, 111., on .August 23, 1858, the son of Sidney S. and
Rebecca Jane (Clark) Chapman, who removed with him, when he was ten years of age,
to the village of Vermont, Fulton County. 111. In 1872 Mr. Chapman and his family
moved again, this time to Chicago; and in that fast-e.xpanding city Colum grew up
and remained until the middle nineties.

During his residence in Chicago, Colum Chapman was connected with various
enterprises, and they were all of such a character as to reflect with credit his inclina-
tions and his ability. For some years, for example, he was head of the lithographing
department in the publishing house of Chapman Bros., and as such had much to do
with the extension of education in the Middle West, the proper preservation for
future, accessible reference of historical data and memorials, and with the formation of
popular taste in art. At Chicago, also, on November 9. 1887, Mr. Chapman was married
to Miss Anna J. Clough, of Chicago, a gifted lady with the capacity for making friend-
ships. Her father was a native of England, doubtless related to Arthur Hugh Clough,
the poet of that country so popular with our New England bards, and her mother
came of good old Puritan stock in Providence, R. I.

In March. 1894, Mr. Chapman made his first trip to California, to look over the
lay of the land and decide upon a future site for location, after which he returned to
Chicago; and in December of the following year he came out to Los Angeles, bringing
with him his family. He then removed to Fullerton, and for four years he was on
Charles C. Chapman's ranch, after which he went back to Los .'Angeles for another
three years. He then went to Monrovia, where he had an orange grove of twenty
acres, which he sold at the end of three years. .Again he took up his residence in
Los Angeles, where he remained until he came to Yorba Linda, in November, 1917.

Since taking up his residence and responsibilities here. Mr. Chapman has been
active in various lines such as spell prosperity for others as well as himself, and augur
well for a section of the great commonwealth with unrivalled resources awaiting
appreciation and development. He has improved forty acres by the setting out of
oranges, and leased part of his ranch to the Ridge Oil Company, in which he is a
large stockholder. While in Los .Angeles, he was engaged in the handling of important
real estate and in building high-class residences, and he also superintended certain
interest of his brother, and still looks after those interests.

Two sons bless the fortunate union of Mr. and Mrs. Chapman. Llewellyn Sidney
was born in Chicago on May 22, 1891, and married Miss Ruth Reid, who is a graduate
of the University of Southern California preparatory school and took a course at the
LTniversity of Southern California; they live on the home ranch and are the parents of
one daughter, Marilyn; Colum Clough Chapman was born at Fullerton, on February
11, 1899, graduated from the Hollywood high school, and is now pursuing a course in
agriculture at the Davis branch of the State University. True to the traditions of the
Chapman family, Mr. Chapman is a member and active supporter of the Christian
Church, and being a man who favors training the body as well as the mind and the
soul, he belongs to the Los Angeles .Athletic Club.

MITT O. AINSWORTH.— .A public-spirited citizen of Orange, whose position as
vice-president and director in the Orange Savings Bank, and as a stockholder in the
National Bank of Orange, makes him naturally a leader of wide, helpful influence, is
Mitt O. Ainsworth, a native son who was born near Weaverville, Trinity County, Cal.,
on .April 1, 1860. His father was Lewis Ainsworth, whose sketch is given on another
page in this work. Mitt O. was reared in that locality until he was. eight years old.
when he removed with his parents to Iowa. There, in Monticello, Jones County, he
remained until he was eighteen; he went to the public schools, and in 1878 moved on
to Glasco, Kans., where he engaged in farming. In 1888, he pushed out to the great
Northwest, with his family, and at Salem, Ore., he followed farming. In 1890 he came
back to Glasco; and when a bank was started there, he entered its service, and con-
tinued banking for four years. Then he resumed farming and also took up stock
raising; he cultivated wheat and corn, and fed cattle and hogs.

In 1903 Mr. Ainsworth came out to California, and at Orange embarked in the
lumber trade, having his father and brother as partners; he became a member of the
Ainsworth Lumber and Milling Company, and became its vice-president and a director.



460 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

He took an active part in it until he sold out; they built a planing mill which was
burned to the ground, and then they rebuilt it on modern lines, had a large lumber
yard and enjoyed a fast-growing trade. Since he sold out, in May, 1914, Mr. Ainsworth
has engaged in ranching, growing oranges, lemons and walnuts. He has bought,
improved and sold ranches, and he now owns a ten-acre ranch of oranges and lemons,
and another ranch of ten acres on Tustin Avenue, where seven and a half acres are
given up to oranges and two and a half acres to lemons. Naturally enough, Mr. Ains-
worth is a member of the Villa Park Orchards Association, and the Central Lemon
Growers Association.

During his residence at Glasco, Kans., Mr. Ainsworth was married to Miss Nellie
Sutton, a native of Iowa, the ceremony taking place in 1883. Four children have
blessed the fortunate union. Rose has become Mrs. B. J. Fletcher of Orange; Ina is
Mrs. Carl Schmidt of San Fernando; Jesse is a rancher in Orange; and Nellie is Mrs.
Earl Johnson of Nuevo. Mr. and Mrs. Ainsworth are members of the Christian Church
of Orange; and Mr. Ainsworth is a trustee and also a deacon in the church.

JOHN WEHRLY, M. D. — A physician who, following exceptional and technical
preparation for his work, and years of illuminating practice, has come to take front
rank among the best representatives of medicine and surgery in Santa Ana, is Dr. John
Wehrly, the fifth oldest practitioner in point of service in the city. A native of Canton
Aaru, Switzerland, John Wehrly was born April 1, 1868, the son of Samuel and Marie
(Simons) Wehrly, both born in the same canton, and living only about five miles from
the original Hapsburg Castle. They had four children, two of whom died in infancy,
and the others were Samuel Wehrly, Jr.; a farmer near Kane, Greene County, 111., and
John Wehrly, of this review. The mother died in Greene County in 1913, aged
seventy-seven years, and the father, now past eighty-five, makes his home with his
son in Santa Ana. He was the owner of a 200-acre farm in Greene County for many
years, selling it at a recent date at a very satisfactory advance in price.

John was but a lad of four years of age when his parents came to America, and
he grew up on the Greene County farm, attending both the grammar and the high
schools of Carrollton, in that county. Having a natural aptitude and a leaning for the
medical profession, he began his studies under Dr. C. A. Armstrong of Carrollton, and
a year later matriculated, in September, 1887, at the Missouri Medical College, and was
graduated therefrom on March 4, 1890, with his degree of M. D. The young physician
began his practice in Jacksonville, 111., and one year later removed to Highland,
Madison County, that state, where he continued for three years as a general practitioner.
In 1894 we find Dr. Wehrly in St. Louis, specializing in diseases of the stomach
and electro-therapeutics and winning a deserved popularity. Desiring a change of
environment, he decided to come to California, and in 1901 — an eventful year in his
eventful career — located in the city of Santa Ana and opened an office in the Henry
Finley Block, continuing there for eight years. As his practice grew he moved into
the Farmers and Merchants Bank Building and remained there until able to move into
his own building at 607 North Main Street. This was built in 1912, expressly for his
growing clientele, and is equipped with all modern conveniences. Soon after locating
in Santa Ana, Dr. Wehrly went east to Chicago and pursued a post-graduate course in
electro-therapeutics and diseases of the stomach, intestines and bladder, and there
learned the latest word of science and was enabled to take the lead in his specialties
after resuming his practice here.

Besides having a large general practice. Dr. Wehrly served as county physician
from 1911 to 1915. At the beginning the hospital was located at the corner of Fifth
and Spurgeon streets, in the city of Santa Ana, but in 1913 Dr. Wehrly encouraged the
board of supervisors to purchase seventy-three acres of land in the West Orange
Precinct for a county farm, and also assisted in planning the new county hospital
building. This investment by the board has been a wise one, for the market value of
the land has increased many times since it was made, and has shown the far-sightedness
of Dr. Wehrly. • The Doctor is a member of the American Medical Association, the
State Medical Society, the Southern California Medical Society, the Orange County
Medical Society and the Pacific Coast Roentgen Ray Society, and was vice-president
of the Santa Ana Hospital.

While a resident of Highland, Madison County, 111., Dr. Wehrly and Miss
Augusta Wehrle were united in marriage on November 17, 1892. She is a native of
Highland and the daughter of Andrew and Katherine (Raber) Wehrle. Mr. Wehrle
was a well-known business man of that city and there the daughter was reared and
educated. Two children blessed their union; John L., graduated from the Santa Ana
high school in 1916 and became a student at the U. C. Dental College in Los Angeles.
During the World War he enlisted in the students' training corps and, after his




^-HeL^S.<ytL^j!^^''Cj^^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 463

honorable discharge at the signing of the armistice, resumed his studies, being a
member of the class of '21; Waldo S., graduated from the Santa Ana high school in
1918 and was in the students' training corps as a student at Throop College at Pasadena.
After his honorable discharge he resumed his college work and is now taking a
medical course in the medical department of the University of California at Berkeley,
Cal. The family attend and belong to the First Methodist Episcopal Church at Santa
Ana, where Dr. Wehrly is a member of the board of stewards.

Dr. Wehrly was chief examiner for Exemption Board No. 1 of Santa Ana, during
the World War, until enlisting in the service in August, 1918, being commissioned
captain of the base hospital at Camp Kearney, and was given charge of the gastro-
intestinal ward until transferred to Fort Snelling. Minn., and while stationed there
base hospital No. 108 was organized. From Fort Snelling he was ordered to France,
and sailed from Hoboken, N. J., October 31, 1918, on the George Washington, one of
the captured German liners. The vessel arrived at Brest on November 9, 1918, and two
days later the armistice was signed. His services were still needed, however, and he
assisted at the base hospital at Meves, near Nevers, France; was promoted to major on
May 2, 1919, and on May 3 was transferred to the Thirty-sixth Division, made up from
Texas and Oklahoma. He left Brest in May and landed at Hoboken June 2, and was
honorably discharged at Camp Dix, N. J., June 8. and arrived home in Santa Ana
June 13, 1919. Dr. Wehrly is a major in the Medical Reserve; a member of the
Association of Military Surgeons of the United States; president of Santa Ana Post
No. 131, American Legion; chairman of the Santa Ana Chapter of the American Red
Cross; and chairman of the Santa Ana Board of Health. In matters fraternal he
belongs to Santa Ana Lodge No. 794. B. P. O. Elks, and is a Knights Templar Mason
and belongs to the Eastern Star Chapter, in which he is past patron. In national
politics always a Republican, Dr. Wehrly never lets partisan affiliation interfere when
it comes to local offices, and supports men and measures he deems best suited for the
greatest good to the greatest number of people, and for the upbuilding of the city and
county of his adoption, where he is held in the highest esteem by all who know him.

CHARLES EDWARD RUDDOCK.— One of the most esteemed and helpful resi-
dents of Fullerton was the late Charles E. Ruddock, and his death, which occurred
on February 2, 1917, in the prime of his manhood, was a distinct loss to the com-
munity, where he had won a high position in the regard of his fellowtownsmen; and
he left behind him a record of quiet, honest and earnest integrity which has placed
his name on the roll of honored citizens of that city. Like hundreds of California's
citizens who have aided in bringing it to its present wonderful development, Mr. Rud-
dock was an Easterner by birth. He first saw the light of day on March 8, 1864, in
Chenango County, N. Y.. his parents being Chester S. and Sarah J. (Chandler) Ruddock,
natives, respectively, of Massachusetts and New York.

When he was but three years of age, Mr. Ruddock's parents decided to try their
fortunes in the Middle West, and they traveled out as far as Wisconsin, settling in
Winnebago County, where the father engaged in agricultural pursuits. Here Charles
was reared, receiving his education in the country schools, and like the other lads of
his day, learned the rudiments of farming by assisting his father on the home place.
He grew to manhood in this state, near Berlin, Green Lake County, and on November
27, 1884. was united in marriage with Miss Lila L. Ruddock, a native of Wisconsin,
the daughter of Asahel Dwight and Julia Amelia (De Forris) Ruddock.

On November 1, 1896, Mr. and Mrs. Ruddock came to Fullerton, Cal.. and entered
at once into the life of the community. Mr. Ruddock puurchased twelve acres on
West Wilshire Street; this was planted to young Navel oranges and walnut trees,
and later he set out late Valencias, and other varieties. He also bought twelve
acres of raw land, three-fourths of a mile west of Fullerton, which was planted to
lemons, and which he later disposed of. He built a substantial home on Common-
wealth Avenue, and here he made his home for fifteen years, then bought a place on
North Birch Street, Santa .\na. and lived there five years, then moving into the home
on West AYilshire, where he died. Always interested in promoting every worthy
project for the good of the community, and a firm believer in cooperation, he was a
member and stockholder in the Placentia Orange Growers Association, the Fullerton
Walnut Growers Association and the Anaheim Water Company.

A stanch Republican. Mr. Ruddock was always prominent in the councils of
his party and in the political life of the county. In 1910 he was honored by being
elected to the office of sheriff of Orange County, serving a four-year term. Prior to
this he was city marshal of Fullerton for eight years. For years he was very active
in fraternal life, being a Scottish Rite Mason, past master of the Fullerton Lodge, a
Knight Templar and Shriner. He was also a member of the Odd Fellows and Elks



464 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

lodges of Santa Ana. In his religious affiliations, Mr. Ruddock was an adherent of
the Presbyterian Church and was a prominent member and trustee of the FuUerton
organization. A natural musician, he was an excellent performer on both the violin
and cornet, and in Winnebago County, Wis., organized and led the band at Koro for
seven years. He organized the Fullerton band and was its president.

Mr. and Mrs. Ruddock were the parents of two children. Ray, the only son, is
deceased; the daughter. Pearl L., is the wife of W. E. Oswald of Fullerton, and she is
the mother of two children — Una Claire and Wanda Mae. Mrs. Ruddock has also
always been prominent in fraternal circles, being past worthy matron of the Eastern
Star Chapter at Fullerton, and past noble grand of Sycamore Lodge of Rebekahs
at Santa Ana; during the war she was very active in Red Cross work. When she
came to Fullerton with her husband it had a population of only 750 people, and from
this small hamlet she has witnessed its growth to its present thriving proportions.
While Mr. Ruddock was in the East, she erected a beautiful new bungalow at 211 West
Wilshire Street, Fullerton, and here she makes her home. She has also subdivided
the remainder of the twelve acres on West Wilshire Street which they first purchased.
This is known as the Ramona subdivision and is one of the finest residential sections
of Fullerton, many beautiful residences being erected there.

MAX NEBELUNG.— In a roster of the pioneers of Orange County, no name is
more deserving of prominence than that of Max Nebelung, for not alone was he one
of the earliest settlers in this section, but he was a pioneer in industry as well, for it
was through his unaided efforts that two of Orange County's greatest sources of wealth
received their start — that of walnut growing and the raising of sugar beets, for through
their development millions of dollars are added each year to the wealth of the county.
So marvelous have been the improvements and changes which the past few years have
brought that it is difficult to picture, even in the imagination, the barren, undeveloped
state of this locality when Max Nebelung arrived in 1868, alone and practically penniless.

Born in Germany, at Ellrich in the Province of Saxony, on November 25, 1844,
Mr. Nebelung received a good education in the schools of his native land. On com-
pleting his education he followed the occupation of clerk in retail stores, but when
he had reached the age of twenty-three years, he felt that there were greater oppor-
tunities in store for him in America. Accordingly he left his native shores in 1867,
arriving in New York in July of that year. Going to Utica, N. Y., he secured work
in the woolen mills located near there. In 1868, however, he decided to come to Cali-
fornia; he made his journey by way of the Isthmus of Panama, coming to San Fran-
cisco by steamer. He had as a companion a boyhood friend who had come from Ger-
many with him; not finding employment in San Francisco the two boys, in company
with two others, came south to San Pedro, where they found a small wharf about
twelve feet long, one house and a small lumber yard. They proceeded to Los Angeles,
bought a wagon and mules, and started overland to Arizona, intending to try mining.
Near Searchlight, Nev., they worked for a time in a silver mine, but as the prospect
of wealth seemed so uncertain they disposed of their outfit and proceeded to Fort
Mojave, where a troop of U. S. cavalry were stationed. Here they experienced some of
the thrills of the early day, before they found an opportunity to join a man who was
coming to California and came to San Bernardino and on to Los Angeles, remaining
there a few weeks; then hearing of the colony which had settled at Anaheim, Mr.
Nebelung made his way there, arriving in December, 1868, and liked the looks of the
place. He first found employment in a winery, where he remained a year and a half,
afterwards clerking in a general store and beca;me acquainted with the people and con-
ditions. In those days Anaheim Landing was the port of entry for steamers, and Mr.
Nebelung secured the position of freight clerk for the Anaheim Lighter Company,
working there two years, assisting in loading, unloading and checking freight that
came and went by steamer. He then went back to clerking, taking a position in the
general store of August Langenberger, who was the first storekeeper in Anaheim.
He remained there for eight years, the last five as manager of the store.

Mr. Nebelung then bought twenty acres of land on West Orangethorpe Avenue,
which he planted to vineyard, but later lost all by blight. He then planted ten acres to
walnuts and figs and on the other ten he planted Pampas grass, which in those days
was very popular for decorative purposes. After being cured he packed it and shipped
it in carload lots to England and Germany, Mr. Nebelung receiving $2,000 a year for
the crop. After Pampas grass went out of fashion he planted the acreage to walnuts
and oranges. During this time he followed the real estate and insurance business in
.A.naheim.

In the meantime, Mr. Nebelung had bought nineteen acres of land on East
Sycamore Street, which he planted to budded walnuts and Valencia oranges, selling



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 467

his Orangethorpe Avenue ranch. He personally did all the work of planting on his
new place, rebuilt the old house, made many, improvements, and here he has made his
home for many years. A successful orange grower, he was the first manager of the
first orange growers' association in Anaheim. He was the first man to start the de-



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 54 of 191)