Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 59 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 59 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


in the justice's court, having been appointed in 1903 to fill the balance of Judge Free-
man's term after his death. He was re-elected and served a second term, which expired
in January, 1911.

In 1909 Mr. Smithwick purchased a half-acre home place on North Broadway,
and then, while still holding his Santa Ana property, he lived near Harper on a five-
acre ranch devoted to the raising of apples. When he sold out, he came back to
Santa Ana.

Eight children have blessed the union of Mr, and Mrs. Smithwick, and si.x are
living: Sidney married Miss Elizabeth Sidell, of Santa Ana; Effie is Mrs. Benjamin
Jerome, and lives on the San Joaquin ranch; Mattie is Mrs. William Brodhag, of Los
Angeles; Charles married Miss Ruby Spencer, and lives at Randsburg, Cal.; Bertha
is Mrs. Olaf Warling, of Santa Ana; Laura lives at home. Eddie passed away at the
age of six, in Kern County, and May, who had become Mrs. Kribbs, was a victim of the
influenza while living in Los Angeles in 1919.

In national political affairs a straight Republican, Mr. Smithwick has always been
too good an American citizen to allow partisanship to obscure the issues of a local
campaign, or to interfere with his duty in supporting the best men and the best
measures for the community's good.

GEORGE CLINTON MORRO'W.— To come into a new country and successfully
grow with it, is a record of which any one might be proud, and George Clinton Morrow
can claim such, being one of the real pioneers, having first come to California in 1863.
He was born in Richland County, Ohio, May 31, 1835, the son of William and Maria
(Potter) Morrow. William Morrow was born in the north of Ireland in the year of
American Independence, and came to America when a young man, settling in Ohio,
where he died in 1855. His marriage had united him with Maria T. Potter, a native
of Xew York State, who came to California to reside some time after the death of
her husband and passed away at San Antonio, San Bernardino County in 1871. On
attaining his majority, George Morrow determined to seek his fortune in the West, so
left his Ohio home, going first to Cass County, Iowa, where he remained for six years.
Continuing hi^ westward journey across the plains with horses and wagons, he arrived
at Cache Creek, Yolo County, Cal., in 1863, where a year passed. In 1864 he came on
to Los Angeles, then but a small settlement bearing no indication of its present
metropolitan proportions, and he could have purchased then the present site of the Los
Angeles County Court House for $1.25 per acre. He and his brother drove a freight
team from Los Angeles to San Pedro. The next year he set out with a ten-mule
freight team for Helena, Mont., and when they reached Salt Lake City his employer
grew short of funds and sold his outfit to a party of Mormons with whom Mr. Morrow
continued to Helena. From there he and his twin brother, Thos. Benton, took the
stage. The driver had bronchos and could not manage them, so George C. and his
brother being good horsemen, drove them through to Ft. Benton on the Missouri River,
taking a steamer from there to Council Bluffs, Iowa.

For the next four years Mr. Morrow remained in Iowa, coming back to Los
Angeles over the new line of the U. P. and C. P., which had recently been completed,
being accompanied by his wife. They resided at Downey and he drove the stage for
Wright and Seeley between Anaheim and Los Angeles. After a year and a half, he and
his wife again returned to Iowa, where he owned a farm with his brother, and farmed
from 1872 till 1879. After these varied migrations, when he returned to California in
1879, it was with the intention of making it his permanent home and he has never
regretted his decision, for he had traveled extensively over all the western part of the
country, and in none of his travels had he found anything that could compare with it.
His faith in its possibilities is shown by the fact that he purchased a tract of seventeen
acres, five miles northeast of Orange for twenty-five dollars per acre. It was virgin
soil, completely covered with cactus, and he at once set to work to develop it, first
planting grapes and when they died, he planted it to oranges, peaches and apricots and
also raised barley and beans. The splendid income he enjoyed from it in after years,
substantiated his firm belief in its productivity. They have refused $4,000 an acre for
the tract.

In 1869, at Indianola, Warren County, Iowa, George C. Morrow was married to
Sarah Jane Hutchins, who was born in Noble County, Ohio, her parents, Hezekiah
and Sarah (Wheeler) Hutchins, being natives of Maine. After an eventful life of
more than fifty years together they are both still living, Mr. Morrow now being in his
eighty-fifth year, while Mrs. Morrow is seventy-six. Eight children were born to
Mr. and Mrs. Morrow: Thomas Benton married Miss Mabel Bostwick. who died in
July, 1910; George Clinton, Jr., is now a resident of Huntington Beach; Maggie May,




^(^y}H...c^vtA}-uj'—




e^^^JK4 ^^y^u^^^-^xj-



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 509

Mrs. William Pjoden, died here in 1913; Lovena Madge married C. B. Christenson and
they live at Orange; Nellie B., who married Harry Fenton, died in Nebraska at the
age of twenty-one; Anna T., Mrs. Frank Wheeler of Orange; Sylvester W., mentioned
elsewhere in this work; Charles William married Miss Mable Stutheit. Rich in
reminiscences, of the early days, Mr. Morrow has frequently written for publication
concerning his many and varied experiences while freighting and stage driving, and
there are indeed few of the county's residents who have- been privileged to take such
an active part in the various stages of its transformation.

GEORGE B. SHATTUCK.— The lines in the life of George B. Shattuck were
cast in pleasant places when his lot in life brought him to the beautiful and fertile
section of Orange County in which Tustin is located. He is among its foremost citi-
zens, and occupies the important position of secretary and general manager of the
Golden West Citrus .\ssociation. Born at Hillsdale, Mich., July 26, 1868, he is the only
son of L. B. and Julia B. (Reed) Shattuck. His father was a captain of Company F,
Thirty-fifth New York Regiment, Volunteer Infantry, in the Civil War. His parents
came to California in 1906 and both are now deceased.

George B. Shattuck was educated in the public and high schools of the city of
Chicago, 111., and afterward entered the University of Michigan, from which he gradu-
ated, receiving the degree of LL.B. in 1890, and the degree of LL.M. in 1891. From
1890 to 1906 he practiced the legal profession in Chicago, and in the latter year came
to California, where he purchased the Tustin Packing Company, which he successfully
operated until the fall of 1917. He was instrumental in organizing the Golden West
Citrus Association, and assumed the position of secretary and general manager of the
association, his present position. Under his competent management the company has
been successful, and occupies modern, up-to-date buildings built in March, 1918. He
also has charge of the 1,400-acre Marcy ranch, about 400 acres of which is devoted to
the culture of citrus fruit. Always interested in the upbuilding of Santa Ana, he was
one of the promoters and is a trustee of the new Santa ."Kna Tourist Hotel; is president
of the Santa Ana industrial fund, which is to be used to induce manufactories and
industries to locate here.

Mr. Shattuck's marriage, on June 2, 1898, united him with Miss Jennie Otis, of
Chicago, whom he had the misfortune to lose when death's portals closed her earthly
career in 1900. He was at one time president of the Santa Ana Chamber of Commerce
and a member of its board of directors, and was one of the founders of the Orange
County Country Club, of which he is secretary and director. In politics he sustains
the principles advocated in the Republican platform, and fraternally is a member of
the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. He is a member of the military order
of the Loyal Legion of the L'nited States, and is also a member of the Sigma Chi.

MISS NINFA SERRANO.— The name of Serrano is one well known in Southern
California, where the family was identified with its early history and among its largest
land owners. The youngest of the family. Miss Ninfa Serrano is the daughter of
Joaquin and Encarnacion (Olivas) Serrano, the father having been born at Los An-
geles and the mother at San Diego. Grandfather Jose Serrano owned the original
Rancho Catiada de los ,A.lisos, afterwards Rancho del El Toro, a great tract of 11,000
acres which was situated on Aliso Creek. For many years the family lived on this
extensive estate, maintaining the old Spanish mode of life and dispensing the liberal
hospitality of those days of abundance, but the old rancho has in past years been sub-
divided and sold and is now the property of others.

Joaquin Serrano, a capable, industrious rancher, bought the land comprising the
present Serrano ranch, a tract of 393 acres lying about seven miles east of El Toro
and here his children cooperate in the cultivation of this estate, which has grown to
be a valuable property. Joaquin and Encarnacion Serrano were the parents of the
following children: Frank J. married Juana Olivares; Joaquin F.; Cornelius; Leandro;
Jose; Alphonso married .Aqueda Pacheco; Ninfa, the subject of this sketch; and Juan
Pablo. The ranch is devoted to stock raising and to general farming, a variety of
farm products being raised. Reared in Southern California from her birth. Miss Ser-
rano has been familiar with agricultural life from her earliest childhood and takes an
active interest in the management of the family estate. Recently the Serranos have
given an oil lease on their land and a test well is now being put down near the Orange
County Park, her brother Joaquin Serrano being engaged in the drilling. The present
prospects are very encouraging and should the well be the equal of a number of others
in the district it will be a continual source of wealth to the whole family.

Like their forbears of the past generations, the family are members of the Roman
Catholic Church, and are communicants of the Mission Church at Capistrano. Politically
they adhere to the principles of the Democratic party.



510 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

SAMUEL M. DUNGAN.— A successful rancher who was once a professional
baseball player, adding no end of luster to the laurels in athletics already won by the
Golden State, is Samuel M. Dungan, who was born, a native son, on the "Island" near
Eureka, in Humboldt County, on July 29, 1866, the son of Robert M. and Joanna
(Jenkins) Dungan, the former who first came across the Isthmus of Panama in 1857.
He was by trade a builder of boats and ferries, and himself built the first ferry boat,
and established the first ferry on Eel River. He also helped to build the Piedmont
Ferry now run by the Southern Pacific between San Francisco and Oakland while living
in the latter city. He and his wife moved to Los Angeles County in 1877, settling in
what was known as Gospel Swamp, now in Orange County, and soon after he estab-
lished himself as a contractor and builder in Santa Ana. at the same time carrying on
his ranch work. Both parents died in Santa Ana. the father in April. 191S. and the
mother in February, 1920.

Samuel Dungan was educated at the grammar school at Newport, now Greenville,
walking two and a half miles to school. From 1886 to 1888 he attended the State
Normal School at Ypsilanti, Mich., and in the latter year he returned to California.
Two years later, he began to play professional baseball, from 1890 to 1891 being
right fielder under T. P. Robinson at Oakland, where he had the best batting average
of any individual in the league, and was given a gold medal therefor. During 1891
he was with the Milwaukee club in the Western League under Manager Chas. Cushman.
From 1892 to 1893, and during half of 1894, Mr. Dungan was with Captain Anson's
"White Sox" of Chicago, and from 1894 to 1900. he pTayed at Detroit, Mich., in the
Western League, and in 1900 with Kansas City, the first year of the American League,
which he led in batting.

In 1901. the first year when the American League expanded under Ban Johnson,
he was with the players of Washington, D. C, and during 1902 and half of 1903, with
. the Milwaukee Western League. From the middle of 1903 to the end of 1905. he
played at Memphis. Tenn., with the Southern League, and in those seasons he held
every position save that of pitcher and catcher, in the infield. In 1905, he quit playing
baseball altogether.

In 1893 Mr. Dungan had purchased twenty acres of open land at Talbert, which
he leased out for potatoes and celery and later beets and beans; and when he came
back to Orange County he built a home on Fourth Street, later bought a lot and built
a home at Laguna Beach, where he lived for twelve years while he was doing car-
pentering. During this time, in 1912, he bought ten acres at Lemon Heights, most of
which is in the Red Hill Water district, the remainder being under the service of the
Santa Ana Valley Irrigation Company. In 1917, Mr. Dungan built his home at 221
South Broadway. Santa Ana, and retired.

On November 14, 1900, Mr. Dungan was married to Miss Laura B. Lippy, a
native of Mansfield. Ohio, the ceremony taking place in Chicago. Her parents were
Harry and Mary (Long) Lippy, and her father was a cigar maker in Gallon, Ohio.
There she commenced her studies, which were finished in Santa Ana, Cal., for her
family came out to the Coast in 1887. After their deaths, which occurred here in 1889
and 1891, respectively, the daughter returned East and stayed with a grandmother at
Gallon, in Crawford County, Ohio, and having studied stenography, typewriting and
bookkeeping, she entered the service of a large jewelry firm in Chicago. Two children,
who belong to the Baptist Church in Santa Ana, have blessed this fortunate union, and
t"heir names are Myron Robert and Dorothy Eleanor both attending the public schools.
Mr. Dungan is a Knights Templar Mason, belonging to the bodies of Santa Ana.

HARRY WOODINGTON.— A resident of Orange County for forty years, Harry
Woodington is justly entitled to be called one of its pioneers, for aside from his many
years of residence here he has indeed been a pioneer in the agricultural and business
development of the Wintersburg section of the county. A native of Illinois, he was
born at Elizabeth, Jo Daviess County, in that state, April 11, 1875, the son of George
and Alice (Neal) Woodington. The father had been a farmer in that state for many
years, but after a visit to California in 1870, he cherished a desire to return to this
land of sunshine and make it his home. Ten years latqr in 1880, he carried out that
wish, removing with his family to Orange County, in the vicinity of Westminster,
where he resided. His death occurred on the San Joaquin Ranch in 1905. He had
been engaged in farming the greater part of his life and during the fourteen years of
his residence in California he carried on agricultural pursuits quite extensively on the
Bixby ranch and later raised grain on the San Joaquin ranch.

A lad of only five years when the family came West. Harry Woodington received
his education in the schools of Westminster, but when a boy he always manifested a
great interest in farming and even during his school days he worked on ranches in



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 511

the neighborhood of his home when school was not in session. When a young man
he became closely acquainted with D. E. Smeltzer, who introduced and built up the
celery business in this part of the country. Mr. Smeltzer was known as the "Celery
King," and the town of Smeltzer was named for him. Mr. Woodington entered his
employ and was later made foreman of his ranch. After Mr. Smeltzer's death, the
Golden West Celery and Produce Company was incorporated, taking over the holdings
of Mr, Smeltzer. Mr. Woodington continued with them and in 1903 was made super-
intendent, a position his knowledge and experience made him most competent to fill,
and through his untiring efforts the ranch was brought up to the highest state of pro-
ductiveness. The celery business, however, reached the height of its prosperity about
1910-1912, and after that date its returns began to decrease, owing to blight and other
pests; the large returns from lima beans and sugar beets also was a factor that led
to its decreasing acreage. Mr. Woodington remained its superintendent until the com-
pany sold out to the Anaheim Sugar Company in 1919.

Meanwhile, in 1918, Mr. Woodington had purchased his present home place of
forty acres, formerly known as the A. J. Crane place, and this acreage he devotes to
raising lima beans. He also rents sixty acres and planted the entire hundred acres
in lima beans in 1920. Always in the habit of doing things on a big scale, Mr. Wood-
ington has been extensively engaged in the bean threshing business. He operates a
threshing rig drawn by a thirty-six horsepower traction engine with a 36x60 separator.
He has done much threshing in the vicinity of Smeltzer and on the San Joaquin ranch,
putting in forty days on the former and thirty days on the ranch, cleaning up $7,000
by that work. He threshed 2,448 sacks of beans on the San Joaquin ranch as a record
day's run.

Mr. Woodington was united in marriage on July 7, 1898, to Miss Rella Clemens,
a native of Michigan. She was reared in Rapid City, S. D., coming to Winters-
burg when she was eleven years of age. Two children have been born to Mr. and
Mrs. Woodington: Russell and Donald, the elder son, Russell passing away in 1913.
The family attend the Wintersburg Methodist Church, which Mr. Woodington helped
to build and which he generously supports. He is a member of the California Lima
Rean Growers Association and of the Elks Lodge at Santa Ana, and politically adheres
to the principles of the Republican party. A man of great force of character and
executive ability, one of his greatest assets is in his ability to handle men, and in this
regard, especially, he is one of the most successful men in Orange County.

JOHN W. MARTIN. — A worthy example of a man who has risen to a place in
the community through his own unaided efforts and in the face of many early obstacles
is furnished in the career of John W. Martin, now a prosperous rancher of the Talbert
precinct, where he owns 130 acres of choice land, Mr. Martin was born in Freeport,
111.. October 27. 1867. a son of John and Katherine (Claus) Martin, his father being
engaged in the butcher business there. The family moved from Freeport to St.
Louis. Mo,, and there the mother died when John W. was a lad of but nine years,
and from that time on he has made his own way in the world. He saw some rough
and hard times in his boyhood, but being filled with ambition and determination he
managed to secure the elements of an education by working out during the summers
and attending the public schools for a short term in the winters. He returned to the
northern part of Illinois and there worked out on farms near Rock City, in Stephenson
County, and at Pecatonica and Winnebago, in Winnebago County, of that state.

When in his twentieth year, Mr. Martin came to California, locating at Los
Angeles, and still with the desire to have a better education he got such schooling as
he was able during the winters, finally entering the academic department of the Uni-
versity oi Southern California, but unfortunately was taken with typhoid fever and
was unable to complete the course. He then worked at various pursuits, farming for
a time and then becoming interested in the oil business. The latter did not prove
successful, however, so that he had to begin life practically anew at the age of thirty-
five. He went to San Jacinto in 1898, and went into dairy farming on a rented farm,
remaining there for about four years. In 1902 he came to Orange County, settling in
the Talbert precinct, where he bought thirty acres for a starter, and since then he has
made two subsequent purchases, so that he now has a well-kept and profitable ranch
of 130 acres, Mr. Martin has gone into sugar beet raising quite extensively, and has
also had splendid success in raising celery and chili peppers and has planted a number
of apple trees on his place. In 1916 he suffered a severe financial loss liy the floods
of that year, losing a crop of fifteen acres of celery and an alfalfa field. He has put in
3,000 feet of twelve-inch, and 1,500 of ten-inch cement tile for irrigation and has a
pumping plant with two wells and has a half interest with his brother, George E.
Martin, in another pumping plant with two wells. He has also remodeled his residence
and made many other improvements.



512 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

On September 29, 1897, Mr. Martin was married to Miss Georgia Smith, a daughter
of Jackson and Maggie (Mellon) Smith. Her father was for a number of years in
the furniture business in St. Louis, Mo., but after coming to California engaged in
ranching near Newhall. Mr. and Mrs. Martin are the parents of five children: John
W., Jr., enlisted in the Coast Artillery during the war, but the armistice came before
he saw active service; Catherine Marie is a graduate of the Santa Ana high school, in
the class of 1919; Edward J.; Floyd Raymond; and Margaret Luella. Remembering
his own struggles to obtain an education, Mr. Martin has naturally felt a keen interest
in furthering in every way possible the school facilities for the present and coming
generation, and has given faithful service for a number of terms as trustee of the New
Hope school district, and was clerk for many years. He is also a director of the New-
bert protection district and was one of its organizers. While Mr. Martin inclines
toward the principles of the Democratic party he is liberal minded in local political
matters and believes in putting the best man and the best principles above mere par-
tisanship. The Martin home abounds with hospitality and good cheer, and the whole
family are justly popular in the community.

GEORGE R. REYBURN.— One of the livest of all Orange County wires, both in
times of peace and during the recent World War, is George R. Reyburn, the genial,
accompHshed and accommodating secretary of the chamber of commerce of Garden
Grove, where he has given abundant evidence of his faith in the future of the town by
investing in the best realty to be found there. A native son who never loses an oppor-
tunity to boost the Golden State, he was born at Petaluma on May 19, 1860. His
mother died there when he was only four years of age, and his father two years later.

When he was sixteen, George came to Santa Ana and for a while went to school.
Then he worked at sprinkling the streets, and next went to Texas for ten or more
years. In 1894 he returned to Santa Ana, and for two years was in business there;
and since 1896, he has been a leading resident here. The town has used him well, as
has the county; and in turn George gives every stranger the glad hand, and so encour-
ages every good project.

At Santa Ana in 1895 Mr. Reyburn was married to Miss Katie McGee, a native of
Pennsylvania, who moved to Iowa and thence to California. They are members of
the Methodist Episcopal Church at Garden Grove, and Mr. Reyburn is president of
the board of trustees, having been a member of the church for twenty-five years.

Mr. Reyburn owns three of the best store buildings in Garden Grove, and also
his residence, and besides dealing in realty, an enterprise he abandoned during the
war, he is the veteran fire insurance agent in Garden Grove, and represents the Phoenix
of Hartford. He bought five acres, planted and farmed the land and subsequently
subdivided and sold it in town lots, known as the Reyburn Subdivision of Garden Grove;
but for four years he was engaged in general merchandising at Garden Grove. In
national political affairs a Democrat, he knows no party lines when it comes to putting
his shoulder to the wheel and working for the best interests, now and in the future,
of Garden Grove and Orange County, both of which, he is sure, are growing better
every day.

For some time Mr. Reyburn has been the popular secretary of the chamber of
commerce, boasting seventy-five members; and with an inside view of the real resources
of this section, says that prospects were never better than in this year, 1920. Probably
because of this valuable experience, Mr. Reyburn was called upon to do much important
war work. He had charge of the registration for this district, planned the drives, and
was an all-around, confidential man. He worked hard for the four Liberty Loans, and



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 59 of 191)