Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 6 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 6 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


The Anaheim Gazette, the pioneer newspaper, established by G. \\'. Barter,
was first issued October 29, 1870. Barter had bought the plant of the Wilmington
Journal, defunct. The press had been brought around the Horn in 1851 and had
been used in Los .\ngeles by the Star, the pioneer newspaper of Southern Cali-
fornia. In 1871 Barter sold the paper to C. A. Gardner, who in turn sold to
Melrose & Knox, in 1872. Knox retired in 1876. F. W. Athearn was connected
with it in 1876-77. then Melrose became sole owner and sold it to Henry Kuchel.
the present owner, who has continued the publication for more than thirty years.
The Orange County Plain Dealer, established in Fullerton in 1898, moved to
.Knaheim and was owned and edited by J. E. \'aljean a number of years before
his death. The Anaheim Daily Herald was founded by Thomas Crawford in 1913
and is now owned and published by The Anaheim Herald Publishing Company.

In 1860 the Anaheim \\'ater Company became owner of the ditches and water
rights originally belonging to the Anaheim \'ineyard Company. The stock of this
company was an appurtenance of the land and could not be diverted from it. The
water company was incorporated with $20,000 capital stock and in 1879 this was
increased to $90,000. and ditches were extended to cover the Anaheim extension.
The Cajon Water Company's ditch was completed November 18, 1878. at a cost
of $50,000. It tapped the Santa .-\,na River at Bed-Rock Canyon and was fifteen
miles long. In 1879 the Anaheim I'nion Water Company bought a half interest
in this ditch. Anaheim was incorporated as a city February 10, 1870, but the
burden was too great to be carried by the people and in 1872 they petitioned the
legislature to be dis-incorporated. This was granted and it was an unincorporated
town until ]\larch. 1878. when it was incorporated and then in 1888 it was
reincorporated.

In 1880 .\nalieim boasted of the best school building in Los Angeles County,
outside of that city. In 1877 Prof. J. M. Guinn, who had been principal of the




FIRST SANITARIUM Al AXAHKIM




HISTORY OF ORAXGE COUNTY 55

Anaheim school for eight years, the buililing having become inadequate for the
increased population, drafted a bill authorizing the district to issue bonds for
$10,000. He was instrumental in securing its passage by the legislature and it
became a law ]\Iarch 12. 1878. The bonds were sold at par and a building erected.
This was the first instance on record in the state of incorporating and bonding a
school district to secure funds to build a schoolhouse, a method now quite com-
mon in the state, thus giving California the best schoolhouses of any state in
the Union. The. schools of Anaheim embrace grades from the kindergarten to
the junior college and compare favorably with the best in Southern California.
For further particulars about Anaheim's schools see cha])ter on Orange County's
Schools.

In January. \S75. the Southern Pacific Railway built a branch to Anaheim
and for two j-ears this was their terminus. In 1887 the Santa Fe built through
to San Diego and that year a number of vineyards were divided and sold in town
lots. Anaheim has three banks, all well capitalized ; a public library, several school
buildings ; eight miles of paved streets, and fifteen miles of cement sidewalks.
The city owns its own water supply, as well as its own electric lighting plant.
There are two depots of the Southern Pacific and one of the Santa Fe. and it will
soon have an outlet by the Pacific Electric, building a direct line. The country
about is fertile, growing almost anything put into the ground.

The living willow wall that surrounded the original colony disappeared long
ago and but few of the present citizens of the city remember tlie appearance of
the original place, called by the native Californians Campo .\leman — German
camo. Anaheim is now a city of beautiful homes, with a population of 5,526.
Early in the year of 1911 bonds were voted for $90,000, to construct a sewer sys-
tem ; and $8,500, for additions to the electric lighting system. As showing the
progressive sentiment of the people it mav be said that the former received 352
votes for, and 24 against, and the latter 303 for, and 68 against. The city has six
]:>acking houses for oranges and lemons, one beet sugar factory, one marmalade fac-
tory, one cigar factory, a large hotel and several apartment houses, besides the
usual complement of all kinds of business houses. Its area is two and three-quar-
ters square miles: its assessed valuation in 1920 was $3,017,415, and the building
permits issued the same year amounted to $92,000. This shows a healthy growth
when it is remembered that the war lid was on building operations that year.
During the year 1919, .\naheim had a building total of more than $200,000.
Included in the construction program was a thirty-apartment building, a bungalow
court, many individual residences, a large new First Methodist Church and a few
business buildings, but here, as in other towns, construction could not keep up
with the demand, and still greater activity is foreseen in the future.

The churches of .\naheim represent fourteen denominations, as follows :
Catholic, Presbyterian, ^lethodist. Episcopal, Christian Science, Lutheran, Bap-
tist, Evangelical, Alennonite, German Methodist, Mexican Methodist, Seventh
Day Adventist, German Lutheran, and German Baptist.

Following are the city officers as they stood after the election and appoint-
ment in 1920: Board of trustees. William Stark, president: Frank X. Gibbs,
Fred A. Backs, Jr.. Charles H. Mann, Howard E. Gates: clerk. Edward B. Mer-
ritt : marshal and tax collector, X. F. Steadman : treasurer, Charles A. Boege :
recorder, J. S. Howard : manager and street superintendent, O. E. Steward : elec-
trician, V. \y. Hannum : attorney. Homer G. Ames ; rate collector, W. A. Wallace.

The soil about Anaheim is a sandy loam, easily worked, retains the heat and
moisture. This, with its proximity to the ocean and distance from the snow-
capped mountains, places that section in the frostless belt of the county. Then,
lying in front of the mouth of the Santa Ana Canyon, the territory about Ana-
heim gets the greatest benefit from the underflow of the river. .\ people with
such natural resources and with the sturdy manhood to voluntarily close their
.saloons, as they did January 1, 1919, cannot help but prosper.



56 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

Anaheim Municipal Light and Water Works
By V. W. Hannum

The first step, in the builcHng of the present ]\'Iunicipal Light and Water
System, was taken in April, 1879, when the pioneers of the Mother Colony started
tlie municipal water plant, then located on West Cypress Street.

Making a success of this venture, and wishing to keep abreast of modern im-
provements, they started the electric light plant on August 23, 1894, with a con-
nected load of thirteen arc lamps, used for street lighting, and 143 incandescent and
nine arc lamps from which a revenue was derived. By 1907, there were 324 light
and 372 water consumers, which made it necessary to construct an entirely new
plant at 518 South Los Angeles Street. The equipment at that time consisted of
two 125 horsepower boilers, two steam-driven electric generators of eighty kilo-
watt capacity, two twelve-inch wells with a pumping capacity of 600 gallons per
minute. In 1912 another 125-horsepower boiler and a steam-driven electric gen-
erator of 150 kilowatt capacity was added. In 1913, the increasing water demand
made it necessary to drill a new sixteen-inch well, in which a pump of a capacity
of 800 gallons per minute was installed, this installation being duplicated in 1915.

By 1916 the electric load had reached such proportions that the generating
equipment was inadequate, so rather than add more generating equipment, an
agreement was made with the Southern California Edison Company whereby
the city purchases all of its electric energy wholesale, but maintains its o^vn dis-
tributing system.

Li 1918 it became necessary to again increase the water suppl}'. This was
done by replacing one of the small capacity pumps with one of a capacity of 1,200
gallons per minute. In 1920 a new sixteen-inch well was drilled and a 1,200-
gallon pump installed. The city now has three wells, each 335 feet deep, with
a pumping capacity of over 3,000 gallons per minute. A reinforced-concrete
reservoir, with a capacity of 173,000 gallons, at an elevation to give forty pounds
pressure on the mains, insures an adequate supply of good pure water at all times.
A two-stage centrifugal pump, driven by a 125-horsepower motor, is used to
increase the pressure in case of fire; this pump will deliver 1,500 gallons of water
per minute at a pressure of 125 pounds.

Until Alay, 1914, the rate for lighting purposes had been ten cents per kilo-
watt-hour; at that time the plant had become self-sustaining, so the lighting rate
was reduced to seven cents per kilowatt-hour. This cut, while greatly reducing
the revenue for the city, was a great saving to the consumers.

While the past few years have seen prices rise by leaps and bounds on all
materials used in the light and water departments, as well as increases of wages,
and two increases on the wholesale price of electric energy, the city by conservative
methods has been able to keep its water rate at ten cents per hundred cubic feet,
and the electric lighting rate at seven cents per kilowatt-hour, thereby furnishing
light and water at pre-war prices to its many patrons, and still maintaining a
source of revenue, of which the year ending May 1, 1920, is a good example.

At that time there were more than 3,000 services for light and water, with a
revenue of nearly $70,000, leaving better than $20,000 for the general fund after
all operating expenses had been paid. Besides being a source of revenue to the
city, the Municipal Light and \\'ater Works furnish steady employment to many
of the citizens of Anaheim.



'^HH


I^^H


^f


ijp i M




M


ass r 'a^H
MiiiiMiii M






K|H


'^'^K-MB


^^i Ii^^^Ib^II


^1 H


^Vl^^r'^il^^aH



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 57

CHAPTER V

THE CITY OF BREA

By Mable McGee

Brea is situated at the mouth of the canyon of the same name adjoining the
eastern part of Fullerton on the north. The canyon has long alTorded an easy
passage for a wagon road from the interior valley to the coastal plains and was
named Brea Canyon from the brea, or mineral tar, which oozed out of the ground
in the canyon. The city is the youngest and one of the smallest in the galaxy
of Orange County cities. It was incorporated February 23, 1917, and has an
area of one and three-quarter square miles. The assessed valuation of the city
in 1920 was $718,880, with a tax rate of $1.00. The population given by the
1920 census is 1,037.

\\'hile there are some orchards and farms in the southern part of the citv,
the principal support of the place is derived from the oil industry. The city is
in the heart of a rich oil district, surrounded by about twenty-three leases. In
fact, looking up and down the mesa in front of the hills, hundreds of oil derricks
may be seen in either direction. This oil industry is not only the main support of
the city of Brea, but it is a valuable asset of the whole county, as manifested
by the increase in the assessment roll each year as the territory expands and new
wells are brought in.

The city has one and a half miles of cement sidewalks and three miles of
paved streets. There are four churches, Congregational, Christian, Xazarene and
Seventh Day Adventist. (The schools may be found in the chapter on Orange
County's Schools.) The following organizations have branches in Brea: Oil
Field, Gas \\'en Refineries International \\'orkers of America (this is a labor
organization of oil men and used to be called '"The Oil Field Workers' Union") ;
\\'omen's I'nion Label League (the latter is an auxiliary of the men's organiza-
tion just mentioned) : Knights of Pythias; \\'oodmen ; Maccabees; Royal Neigh-
bors ; and Brea Study Club.

The Brea Boiler Works and Union Tool Company are home industries that
employ a great many men.

The city officers at the present time are as follows : Board of trustees. Jay
C. Sexton, president; Isaac Craig, P. C. Huddleston, R. H. :\Iitchell, Frank j.
Schweitzer; clerk, Mrs. L. -V. Sayles ; treasurer, Leon A. Sayles ; attorney, Albert
Launer ; engineer, Robt. W. Phelps ; marshal, street superintendent and pound
master. D. O. Stegman.

That Brea went over the top in subscribing to the five libert\' loans may be
seen in the lists published elsewhere in the history.

The Union Oil Company has a beautiful building and picturesque grounds in
Brea, showing what can be done with capital and good taste, where the climate
is equable, the soil fertile and the water abundant.



CHAPTER VI

THE CITY OF FULLERTON

Supplemented by H, L. Wilber

Twenty-three miles southeast from Los Angeles lies the thriving little city
of Fullerton with its population of 4,415 .souls. LIntil 1887 this section of the
county was largely given over to pasturage for sheep and cattle. Its richness had
not been discovered except by a few, but now it is considered by the residents of
the vicinity as the "garden spot of Orange County." The city was laid out in
1887 by Amerige Brothers and the Pacific Land and Improvement Company. The
first building was erected the same year, in which year also occurred the advent
of the railroad. The peculiar location of the town has much to induce home



58 HISTORY OF ORANGE C;)L"XTV

making, for it is surrounded b)' a very productive country and its climatic condi-
tions are ideal, far enough away from the snow-capped mountains and near
enough to the sea. to have a very equable temperature.

Soon after the advent of the railroad the little hamlet grew rapidly. At an
early date the planting of oranges and walnuts was begun and the results were
so gratifying that the locality soon attracted general attention as a fruit section.
Planting of various kinds of deciduous fruits followed and soon it was discovered
that soil and climatic conditions were the best to be found in Southern California.
Besides the fruit industry there sprung up a lucrative business in vegetable grow-
ing. With a ready market in Los Angeles a man with a limited amount of money
could get good returns from his farming venture from the very start.

It was at the close of the "boom," in 1888, that this part of California was
the center of attraction and towns sprung up in the desert and, by the develop-
ment of water for irrigation, garden spots were made to blossom out of drear
waste. The Amerige Brothers were among the men who came to Southern
California during this period and, seeing the possibilities of the section that is
now Fullerton and Placentia districts, purchased 500 acres of bare, unimproved
land, from the Miles' estate. They had inside information that the Santa Fe
Railroad would be built in this direction on its way to San Diego and entered into
negotiations with the Pacific Land and Improvement Company to have a change
made in the surveys in order to strike the proposed town site. To insure the
building of the road and location of a depot the brothers gave railroad rights to
the company. The first stake was driven on July 6, 1887, in a field of wild mus-
tard. Soon the land was cleared, streets laid out and graded, business blocks and
several dwellings erected. On account of some obstruction in securing right of
way, the railroad was unable to build to the town until the following year and
thus it was greatly handicapped for lack of transportation facilities. Amerige
Brothers sold an interest in their holdings to Wilshire Brothers, and soon after-
ward all interests were merged into the Fullerton Land and Trust Company, to
facilitate development.

The town was given its name in honor of G. H. Fuller, then president of
the Pacific Land and Improvement Company, which was an organization of the
directors of the Santa Fe. He was a factor in the early beginning of the town,
but soon was deposed from office. The name of the town was then changed to
La Habra. in harmou)' with the name of the valley adjoining. The opposition to
this change was so strong that the town was re-christened Fullerton, although the
first railroad tickets were issued to La Habra. In the fall of 1888 the first train
reached the place ; this did not increase the growth of the town as was expected,
for by that time the great boom of Southern California was over. The hamlet
has had only a conservative growth from the beginning.

The first good building to be erected in Fullerton was the St. George Hotel,
costing $50,000. This was followed by the Wilshire block, costing about $8,000.
It was in this building that the first postoffice was established and the first store
opened. The Chadbourne block, costing $22,000, was the next one of importance,
followed quickly by the Schumacher, Grimshaw and Schindler buildings. The
first church was the Presbyterian, which was erected in 1889.

The streets were all named by the founders of the town. Fullerton remained
a town until 1904, at which time, on January 22, it was incorporated as a city of
the sixth class. In 1920 the assessed valuation of property was $19,558,695. The
town has but small indebtedness and the limits of the city embrace eighteen square
miles. It is one of the best shipping points in Orange County, and is admirably
located for manufacturing industries. It is near the oil fields, which thus guar-
antees a permanent and cheap fuel supply, and has an abundant supply of water.

The warehouse facilities of Fullerton are the best in the county and its pack-
ing houses give employment to a large number of men and women. All the roads
leading to the city are paved. There are two well-capitalized national banks, one
savings bank and one state bank ; the professions are represented by able men in



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 39

law and medicine. There are among its industries of importance the following
besides those already mentioned: Seven orange and two vegetable packing houses,
two grist mills, three lumber yards, three hotels and a number of good boarding
houses. The cit\- maintains a band and two newspapers, the Orange County Dally
Tribune, established in 1889. and the Fullerton News, which was established in
1902. There are si.x churches — the Presbyterian, organized in February, 1888;
the Methodist, December 2, 1888; Baptist, November 12, 18')3 ; Christian, in April,
1903 ; also the Catholic and Christian Science.

The following account of the origin and development of the Fullerton Public
Library was furnished by Aliss Minnie Maxwell, the librarian:

The Fullerton Public Library had its origin in a little reading room that was
established about 1903 by a little group of women led by ]\Irs. Anna T. Dean.
A room over the First National Bank was secured and funds for rent, heat and
light were raised by subscriptions solicited by Mrs. G. W. Sherwood and Miss
Anna McDermont. Magazines, newspapers and books were freely donated by
citizens, and the room soon became a popular place. \'olunteer attendants cared
for the room and lent books to patrons.

In 1903, realizing the advantages to the city of .such an institution, the city
trustees took up the matter of securing funds to build a public library, and applica-
tion was made to Andrew Carnegie. In order to comply with the requirements,
the city purchased a lot on the corner of Wilshire and Pomona avenues, and also
appointed a committee to secure subscriptions amounting to $1,000 for the pur-
chase of books. The committee appointed consisted of ]\Iiss Anna r^IcDermont,
Mrs. G. W. Sherwood, Mrs. Otto des Granges and IMrs. Wni. Schulte. The
money was subscribed and a gift of $10,000 was secured from the Carnegie Cor-
poration. The board of library trustees, acting at the time of the construction of
the library building, was made up of J. C. Braly, president; W. \\'. Kerr, secre-
tar\- ; D. R. Collings, Prof. .\. L. \'incent and Meredith Conway.

Early in 1907 work was begun on the building, which was comjileted and
ready for use by December, 1907. Miss Minnie Maxwell was elected as the first
librarian, and began her work in September, 1907. By the time the new building
was completed about 1,000 volumes were ready to place on the shelves. From the
beginning the books added to the library have been classified and catalogued
according to the most approved methods, making the contents of the library
readily accessible to the users. The collection of books has grown steadily until
now (1919) there are about 7,000 volumes, besides valuable files of magazines,
newspapers, pamphlets, etc.

The library serves not only the people of the city of Fullerton, but gives free
service to the people of the surrounding country and the neighboring towns as
well. The present building is inadequate for the needs of the rapidly growing
city, and a new addition or an entirely new building is necessary in the near future.
The board of trustees of the library is as follows. Dr. F. J. Gobar, president:
M. W. Daniels, secretary ; Mrs. G. \\'. Sherwood. Anna ]\IcDermont, S. J. Lillie.

November 12, 1902, a hospital association was incorporated and this has been
in oi^eration ever since, maintaining a reputation for having a thorough er|U!]-)ment
and efficient service.

The city has one union high school, organized in 1893. and in l'^06-07 a new
building was erected, costing about $30,000. This was totally destroyed by fire
in 1910. A new site was jiurchased and more and better buildings were erected,
as may be seen in the chapter on Orange County's Schools. On August 12, 1908,
Fullerton organized a fire department. It has a paid service and is modernly
equipped. Fullerton has an active Board of Trade, which has done more than
any other agency to advertise the city and its surroundings, and to beautify them
as well. It was organized in 1901 and now has 130 members. It has a Masonic
Lodge, which was organized in October. 1900; the Independent Order of Odd
Fellows was instituted in March. 1901 ; the Independent Order of Foresters in



60 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

September, 1897 ; Fraternal Brotherhood in August, 1899 ; Fraternal Aid in 1893 ;
also Knights of Pythias, Modern Woodmen of America, Woodmen of the World,
Eastern Star, P. E. O. and Rebekahs. It has also a Woman's Club, which is affili-
ated with the state federation. This organization has wielded a strong influence
in the social and civic work in the city. The Ebell Club is also a dominant factor
in the city's life.

Following are the city officers as they stood after the election and appoint-
ments in 1920: Board of trustees, W. F. Coulter, president; L. F. Drake, R.
A. Marsden, R. R. Davis, Robert Strain ; clerk, F. C. Hezmalhalch ; treasurer,
Fred Fuller ; recorder, W' illiam French ; attorney, Albert Launer ; engineer, George
Wells ; street superintendent, A. G. Barnes ; water and sewer superintendent,
Geo. Witty ; marshal, Vernon Myers ; health officer. Dr. J. H. Lang ; park superin-
tendent. T. G. Seupelt: board of health, J. H. Lang, M. D., health officer; E. T.
Hall, M."D.. G. C. Clark, M. D., G. ^\'. Finch, :\Irs. Carrie Ford; community
nurse, 'Sla.y Pierce.

Fullerton nestles in the center of orange and walnut groves and is distant
but ten miles from Santa Ana, the county seat. The city is made up of com-
fortable homes and is surrounded with very fine land suitable for growing almost
anything put into it. The people are generous and hospitable and anxious to pro-
mote the general welfare in any way that will serve the interests of all.

During the year 1919, the city of Fullerton issued 188 building permits, whose
total value was $528,609. I. H. Dysinger, building inspector, says the actual
value of the improvements is greater than the amount indicated by the permits ;
but that is the case generally in all the cities.

Recent building operations include the Fullerton Improvement Company's
building at Spadra and Amerige, erected at a cost of $55,000, and a later one at
Spadra and Wilshire costing $62,000. This latter building houses the temporary
city hall and the Rialto theater, the latter being one of the classiest playhouses in
the state. The ^Masons have bought ground at Spadra and Chapman for a $60,000
temple; the Christian Scientists have built a $26,000 church, and the Ebell Club
plans to erect a $40,000 club house.



CHAPTER VII

THE CITY OF HUNTINGTON BEACH
Supplemented by Charles R. Nutt

In the spring of 1904, the name of a little village known as Pacific City



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 6 of 191)