Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 63 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 63 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

horticulture, purchasing a ten-acre ranch at Olive, which she later traded for a ranch
at Hemet, which is devoted to apricots and walnuts. This she still owns and super-
intends most capably, as her many years of experience have given her a thorough
knowledge of the varied branches of horticulture.

Mrs. Cooper is the mother of six children: William, who was born in Illinois,
died in Iowa at the age of six years; James is a farmer near Des Moines, low-a; Ralph
is also engaged in farming at Springville, Iowa; Lettie is Mrs. Williams of Orange;
Bertha, Mrs. Ferguson, resides with her mother; and Maude, now deceased, was the
wife of Warren Fletcher. Mrs. Cooper still makes her home at 641 East Palm Avenue,
Orange, and takes an active interest in all that concerns the welfare of the community.
A firm believer in the future greatness of Orange County, she has. herself, done her
full share toward its horticultural development. She has reared and educated her
family, giving them every advantage possible, and has lived a useful and self-sacrificing
life, and her influence has ever been on the side of good. A member of the Mennonite
Church at Orange, Mrs. Cooper is active in its work; politically she is a stanch Repub-
lican and a firm believer in the principles of that party.

CHARLES H. EYGABROAD.— Emphatically in accord with the true western
spirit, especially in the development of Orange County along broad and enduring lines,
and one whose confidence in its future grows with his own ever-increasing success,
Charles H. Eygabroad had prior to his coming here held a distinguished place in the
financial and public life of South Dakota, where he had a prominent part in helping
to shape the destinies of that commonwealth in the early days of its statehood.

Iowa was Mr. Eygabroad's native state and there he was born at Fredricksburg,
Chickasaw County, on October 25, 1863, the son of John J. and Catherine (Worth;
Eygabroad, natives of Utica. N. Y., and Germany, respectively. The Eygabroad family
were of old Knickerbocker stock who came from Holland and settled in New Nether-
lands, now New York, in about 1765. Great-grandfather Eygabroad, who was born in
Holland, was but a child when he accompanied his parents to the New World, and
at the breaking out of the Revolutionary War, although he was only thirteen years
old. he enlisted as a drummer boy, and after three years he carried a musket, serving
tliroughout the whole seven years of the war, and was at memorable Valley Forge with
General Washington. Grandfather Charles Eygabroad was a blacksmith at Utica, N. Y.,
and here John J. Eygabroad, the father of our subject, was .born. He came to Free-
port. 111., where he followed his trade, and in 1849, with three companions he crossed
the plains with ox teams to California, mining there for three years, when the gold
excitement was at its height. Returning by way of the Isthmus of Panama in 1852, he
walked across to the Atlantic side, finally reaching his old home at Freeport, where
he was married. Here he engaged in farming until he removed to Chickasaw County,
Iowa, where he bought Government land for $1.25 an acre. This he improved and
he became one of the prosperous, successful farmers of that district, where he and his
wife resided until they passed away.

The fifth in order of birth of a family of eleven children, Charles H. Eygabroad
received his fundamental education in the rural schools of his native state and this was
supplemented by the broader education acquired in the best and most practical of
schools — the school of experience. He remained in the paternal home until he reached
his majority, then sought his fortune in Dakota Territory in 1884, where with a capital
of $1.50 he homesteaded land in Brown County, near the present town of Hecla, S. D.
With the undaunted spirit of the pioneer he taught school in the winter, farmed in the
summer months, and turned his hand to blacksmithing and anything else he could find
to do. He was justice of the peace, performed marriage ceremonies and practiced
law; and when, during this time, South Dakota was admitted to the Union. Mr.
Eygabroad was elected a member of the state legislature in 1894. He was a member
of the educational committee of the House, acting as its chairman, was chairman of
the Federal relations committee and a member of other important committees.

.•\fter the expiration of his services in the legislature Mr. Eygabroad was elected
auditor of Brown County for two terms of two years each, afterwards occupying the
office of county commissioner for three years. During all of this time he was active
in the realty business, buying and selling farm lands in South Dakota. For three years
he was president of the First State Bank of Hecla, S. D., disposing of his interest in
that institution when he came to California December 26. 1908, on account of his
health. Locating at Anaheim, he bought an orange grove at the corner of Center and
Walnut Streets, to which he gave his care, and in this salubrious climate and the
enjoyment of his work he regained his health. Since then he has dealt extensively
in orange groves and is now the owner of eight groves in the vicinity of Anaheim.


In 1913, in connection with F. C. Krause. he organized the Anaheim National Bank, of
which he was president until he disposed of his interest to Mr. Krause. He has since
been active in real estate circles, subdividing and putting on the market the Johnston-
Houck tract, an addition to Anaheim, and later he laid out the Vista del Rio Rancho
tract, and has already disposed of most of it. Besides his realty transactions, Mr.
Eygabroad is president of the Orange County Mutual Telephone Company. In 1918
he became interested in the First National Bank of Anaheim and is a director of that
institution, was an organizer of the Anaheim Citrus Association, having been a director
since its beginning, and is a member of the Northern Orange County Exchange. He
still owns valuable farm lands in South Dakota, preferring to keep some interests
where he was successful in his early years. In 1916 he drove his own car through to
South Dakota, from there to New York, and back to California, taking in Yellowstone
Park and making the whole trip in less than three months. Part of his trip was made
ov'er the old California emigrant trail over which his father had journeyed with ox
teams, fifty-seven years before, some of the scenes being familiar to him from his
father's description of his early trip.

Mr. Eygabroad's marriage which was solemnized March 1, 1887, at Kilbourn, Wis.,
united him with Miss Nettie Stearns, and two children were born to them, a daughter,
Lilly, who is now the wife of Lynn Birdsall and the mother of two children; and Lonnie
who died at six years of age. In his religious convictions Mr. Eygabroad is a Metho-
dist, and ever since he was twenty-one years old he has been active in church work and
has tauglit a Bible class. In his political views he is a Republican, and while living in
South Dakota was elected chairman of the Republican County Central Committee in
1900. He is now a member of the Orange County Republican Central Committee and
is chairman of the finance committee of Anaheim district. Prominent in the ranks
of the Masons, he was made a Mason in Frederick Lodge, S. D., and later was a mem-
ber of the lodge at Hecla, in that state and he is now affiliated with Anaheim Lodge
No. 207, F. & A. M., serving as master of this lodge during the building of the Masonic
Temple. He is a member of the Chapter at Aberdeen, S. D., and in that city was
exalted to the Knights Templar degree, Aberdeen Commandery, but now a charter
member of Fullerton Commandery, K. T. He belongs to Yelduz Temple, No. 38, A. A.
O. N. M. S., at Aberdeen, S. D., and is a member of the Southern California Association
of Past Masters at Los Angeles, and with his wife is a member of the O. E. S. He
also holds membership with the Odd Fellows and Elks at Anaheim.

As one of the progressive business men of Anaheim, Mr. Eygabroad is naturally
prominent in the 'Chamber of Commerce, and he has always been a leader in furthering
the many projects which have been promulgated for the upbuilding and prosperity of
this section, and not alone has he accumulated a comfortable fortune for himself, but
he has contributed generously to the growth and wealth of the community, where he
enjoys the sincere esteem of his fellow-citizens.

JOHN C. MAIER. — A retired merchant whose success was undoubtedly due, in
part, to his wise conservatism, is John C. Maier, now active as a rancher, whose
straightforward Christian life has contributed to make him a representative citizen of
Orange County. He was born in Cass County, Iowa, on August 20, 1858, the son of
Sebastian Maier, a millwright by trade, who had married Miss Sophia Hazelmeyer in
Germany, his native country, and came to the United States in 1850, when he had
been married only a few years. Columbus, Ohio, was their destination, and there Mr.
Maier followed his trade for a couple of years. After a while they removed to West-
point, Iowa, and in the spring of 1853 took up there some 320 acres of raw government
land, and secured title.

John attended the common schools of Westpoint, and when sixteen years of age
commenced a three-year apprenticeship in a tinshop at Atlantic, Iowa. Later he found
steady employment as plumber and tinsmith for six years. On the death of his father
in 1879 he took charge of the home farm and ran it till he disposed of it to come to
California. In 1882 he brought with him to California his already aged mother, to
whom was accorded an additional ten years of life in more balmy Southern California,
and who died in 1893.

In 1883 Mr. Maier entered the employ of the McFadden Hardware Company, at
first working for only three months; but later becoming financially interested in that
well-established concern, he remained with them for twenty-three years, continuing
to build up an extensive hardware and plumbing trade. He did the plumbing and tin
work in such notable structures as the First National Bank, the Medlock Building,
and the Lacy and Chandler buildings, the Brunswick, now New Santa Ana Hotel, and
many others. For the past twelve years he has been retired from active business life,
although still controlling and guiding important interests. In 1890 he bought ten acres


on Santiago Street, which he afterward sold at a good profit. In 1899 he purchased
his present home site with twenty acres of walnuts and oranges at the northeast corner
of C and Seventeenth streets. He also has other real estate, including thirty acres of
walnuts and oranges one and a half miles northeast of Garden Grove, with a fine well
and pumping plant. He has also owned and improved various other ranches. He
is a stockholder in the Santa Ana Valley Irrigation Co., and in the Santa Ana Walnut
Growers Association. To provide surplus water for irrigation during the summer he
became associated with Mathias Nisson and Henry Rohrs, Jr., and they sunk a well
and installed an electric pumping plant, giving them over fifty inches of water. The
pumping plant on his Garden Grove ranch has a capacity of 100 inches, suflicient for
the ranch as well as supplying some of the neighbors.

In 1887 Mr. Maier was married to Miss Louisa Bartling, a schoolmate, the daughter
of Henry Bartling; she was a native of Iowa. Four children have blessed their union:
Gertrude died at the age of seventeen; Henry J. married Mabel Laux of Garden Grove,
and they live on the Maier ranch; Edwin G., a rancher, resides at home; while Ethel is
m Sonoma County. All of Mr. Maier's children have gone through the Santa Ana
schools, proud of their association with Orange County as native sons and a native
daughter, and Edwin, the second son, enlisted in the service of his country on May 21,
1918. He was sent to the Naval Reserve at San Diego, and was on the Eastern Coast
until 1919. He had extensive trips to the island possessions of the United States, and
made three trips to Nova Scotia, having enlisted as a fireman and been promoted as
an engineer, and he was finally honorably discharged at San Francisco. Mr. Maier
was bereaved of his first wife in 1911, and in 1916 he was married a second time to Miss
Minnie Schuler of Pasadena, the daughter of George Schuler of Galena, 111., where she
was born, the youngest in a family of eleven surviving children.

A Republican in matters of national politics, and a strong advocate of the building
up of home, rather than club life, Mr. Maier contributes something to steady local
finances in the wise investments he has made in California National Bank stock and in
the management of his excellent ranch holdings. In more respects than one, therefore,
Mr. Maier may be spoken of as a pioneer and an exemplary citizen.

LEROY BENNETT. — .\ good man who, after years of unremitting labor, has
succeeded in acquiring a comfortable competency, is Leroy Bennett, whose years are
brightened with the recollection of creditable service in the Civil War. He was born
in Athens County, Ohio, on December 22, 1845, the son of Clinton Bennett, a native of
that section and a farmer; he was in the Civil War as a Union soldier in 1861, but
was crippled and discharged, and in 1864 he enlisted in the One Hundred Fifty-first
Ohio National Guard, and was with his son, our subject, in Washington, until he was
mustered out. He came to Humansville, Polk County, Mo., in 1865, and after farming
mdustriously for years, died there. Mrs. Bennett was Johanna Wells before her
marriage; she was a native of Ohio and died in Missouri, the mother of seven children,
the oldest of whom was Leroy. A younger brother, Samuel J., who enlisted in the
Sixty-third Ohio Regiment in the Civil War, died in Orange.

Leroy Bennett was reared on a farm, attended the local public schools, and left
the plow to enlist for service in the cause against slavery and for the preservation of
the Union, in April, 1864, joining the One Hundred Fifty-first Ohio National Guard,
Company K., and was stationed at Washington, until mustered out at Camp Chase,
Ohio, in August, 1864. The following year he removed to Missouri and helped on the
home farm; and in that state he remained until his marriage, in 1867, to Miss Susan
Minerva Wrentfrow, a native of Missouri and the daughter of James Wrentfrow, who
came from Tennessee to Missouri. She had two brothers, James and A. F. Wrentfrow,
in the Union Army, and both acquitted themselves as men.

After his marriage, Mr. Bennett engaged in farming in Missouri until 1894, and
on New Year's Day started for California, first stopping at Burbank, in Los Angeles
County, for a year; but in February, 1895, removed with his family to Orange County
and located at Orange. He then bought his present place, a promising tract of an
acre, which he improved by the setting out of oranges and the building of a residence;
but Mrs. Bennett, esteemed and mourned by all who knew her, died on July 31, 1912,
leaving a void in both the home where she had so well presided, and the heart of her
devoted husband. With her he has always attended the Methodist Church and served
on its official board for several years.

Four children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Bennett: Hester A., now Mrs. W. E.
Jones, presides over Mr. Bennett's household; Carrie N. is Mrs. Wm. F. Black of
San Jacinto; Sarah Olive is Mrs. J. Z. Smith of Long Beach; and Harriet Eddith,
Mrs. Amos Kaiser, also lives in San Jacinto.


Mr. Bennett is a Republican in matters of national political import, but knows no
partisanship when work or support is demanded for local uplift or progress, and seeks
to help along the best men and the best measures. He never forgets the ideals of the
nation for which he fought, and renews his patriotic youth in the circles of Gordon
Granger Post, No. 138, G. A. R., of which he is a member.

HARRY B. HANDY. — A railway section foreman for a decade and a half who
has carefully studied present-day devices in the constructing of railroads, is Harry B.
Hand3s popular with all who know him. on account of his modest, unassuming person-
ality. He was born at Nevada. Story County, Iowa, on September 1, 1879, the son of
Owen Handy, who came to that county from Illinois and who had married Miss Mary
A. Parker, who came from Buffalo, N. Y., a sketch of their lives appearing elsewhere
in this volume. They had four children, and Harry was the eldest son.

Harry Handy went to school at Villa Park, in what was then in the Mountain
View school district, and grew up with ranch surroundings. His father was superin-
tendent of some eighty acres of vineyard, owned by I. W. Hellman and Morris L.
Goodman, of the Farmers and Merchants Bank, and in this way our subject has come
to be identified with the later agricultural interests of this locality.

November 17. 1897, witnessed the marriage of Harry Handy and Miss Mary Aline
Horton of Orange and formerly of Iowa, and from this fortunate union have come
two children — Orval B., born in June 19, 1898, and Robert Le Roy. born November 14,
1899. These sons are at present on the United States Revenue cutter Unalga, and on
the Alaska coast; the eldest was in the United States service two years and the youngest
has served one year.

H. B. Handy has been in the employment of the Southern Pacific Railroad for
the past fifteen years as section foreman on the Los Angeles division, Tustin branch;
and for six years he was zanjero and foreman on the ditch of the Santa Ana Valley
Irrigation Company. He belongs to the Central Lemon Growers Association and to the
\'illa Park Orchards Association. The family live on a ranch at Center Drive and Villa
Park Road where the tractor, representing the modern way of doing things, is used
throughout for farm work. Mr. Handy finds part of his social recreation in the circles
of the Odd Fellows at Orange, honored there as one of the past grands. He also w'orks
under the national banner of the Republican party for better citizenship, and has been
active as a supporter of the movements for the local schools and the community church.

HANIGAN C. MOBERLY.— A veteran of the Spanish-American War with an
interesting record for manly service in the Philippines, who has seen great improve-
ments effected in and around Orange, is Hanigan C. Moberly. who was born in
Loogootee, Martin County, Ind., on August 7, 1874, the son of Irvin Moberly, a native
of Kentucky and a member of a well-known Southern family. He settled in Indiana,
and there led a prosperous farmer's life, and there he died. Mrs. Moberly was Sarah
Calvin before her marriage, and she also was a native of Kentucky. There were two
girls and three boys in the family, and of these Hanigan was next to the youngest.

When only five or six years old he was left an orphan, and until he was old
enough to hustle for himself he lived with relatives and did a boy's chores about the
farm. He first came to Hamilton County, Nebr., in 1891, and there, until January, 1892,
he continued working at farm labor. Then he came to California and stopped at
Los Banos, Merced County, where he worked on the canal survey for four months.

In May, 1892, Mr. Moberly removed to Orange, and for four years w-as employed
on a fruit farm. Then he engaged in the confectioner3' business, and later was with
Ben Davis & Company in the bicycle trade. When the Spanish-American War broke
out, however, he could not refrain from offering his services to his country; and on
August 14, 1899, he enlisted. He joined Company D of the Thirty-fifth U. S. Vounteer
Infantry, which was mobilized at Vancouver, Wash., and sent to Manila, P. I., and he
served throughout the Philippine insurrection, or until May 2, 1901, when he was
mustered out at San Francisco. He was in the following engagements: a skirmish at
Arayat, P. I., on Nov. 10-11, 1899, and another at San Miguel de Mayumo on December

11, 1899; a battle at Balubid, P. I., on June 11. 1900; a skirmish at Sibul, P. I., on June

12, 1900, and one at Santa Lucia, P. I., on October 29, 1900. He was commissioned
corporal on March 25, 1901, or shortly before his return to Orange.

Having retained his Interest in the bicycle concern, Mr. Moberly and his partner
started at Orange the first auto repair shop, in 1904, at the same time taking the agency
of the Tourist automobile; and there, on North Glassell Street, near the Plaza, jBen
Davis & Company continued until the spring of 1908, when the firm was dissolved.
This move afforded Mr. Moberly an opportunity for foreign travel, and he made the
most of it. Sailing for Costa Rica, Central America, from there he went to Panama.


Then he crossed the ocean to London, and after an extended trip of eighteen months,
during which he saw and learned more on account of what he had seen and experienced
in his previous travel to and from the Philippines, he returned to America and
California. Coming west he stopped for a while at Indiana, and in due time, glad to
be home again, he arrived in the Golden State.

Taking up work again, Mr. Moberly started in the laundry business with the
Orange branch for the Santa .\na Steam Laundry, and since the fall of 1910 he has
been established at the corner of Lemon and La Veta streets. He began with a horse
and wagon; but it was not long before the business grew to such dimensions that he
required an auto delivery, and he still serves customers obtained in the beginning.
The Orange plant is at the address already mentioned, and there he has his office.
Personal attention, promptness and an earnest effort to give every patron the maximum
of good service for the least cost have wrought the usual wonders popularly termed

Since coming to Orange Mr. Moberly was married to Miss Elizabeth Williams, a
native daughter born at Riverside; and with his good wife he resides at 536 East
Palmyra Street. He also ow-ns an orange grove of seven and one-third acres, half a
mile north of El Modena. In national politics a "black Republican," Mr. Moberly is a
very "white" nonpartisan when it comes to supporting local issues likely to make for
the development of Orange and Orange County, in which great civic work he is
second to none in both good will and practical activity.

D. J. BASTANCHURY.— A progressive young man willing to help through his
time, labors or other means all worthy projects, who has become an influential leader
among the men of Orange County doing worth-while things, is D. J. Bastanchury, who
has demonstrated his resourcefulness by improving one of the finest ranches in the
state, now a famous show place along the State Highway between FuUerton and La
Habra. A native son proud of his birthright, and of whom California may well be
proud, Mr. Bastanchury was born at .'\naheim on August 24. 1881, the eldest of four
children born to Domingo and Maria Bastanchury. natives of France, who were pioneer
settlers in what is now Orange County. Domingo Bastanchury engaged in sheep
raising, and prospered in spite of dry years. He enlarged his flocks, and with deep
foresight purchased land from time to time, in order to provide range for his sheep,
until he became owner of from 8,000 to 10.000 acres in the La Habra Valley, extending
to the built-up portions of FuUerton. He was eventually a very wealthy man. and
before his death was rated a millionaire — the most tangible evidence of his rare busi-
ness acumen. Survived by his widow, his monument is administered by his sons, who
have developed the largest citrus orchard in the world. Mrs. Bastanchury has retained
lier mental gifts to a rare degree, and can relate many interesting incidents, as one of
tlie oldest living settlers in the count}-, of the ever-interesting early days.

D. J. Bastanchury, as the tirst-born in the family, was familiar with stock raising
as a lad, and after completing the work of the local schools, attended St. Vincent's
College in Los Angeles, from the commercial department of which he was graduated
in 1899. He continued with his father for a while, and then he entered the offices of
the Capitol Milling Company in Los .Angeles, and later was also in the employ of the
Globe Mills. After that he purchased the Whittier Milling Company, and engaged in
buying and selling grain for himself. He extended the milling and grain business to
FuUerton, and had the satisfaction of seeing a large trade built up when he sold out, in
1910, to take up the development of his large ranch. This consisted of 400 acres on

Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 63 of 191)