Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 64 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 64 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


the State Highway, between FuUerton and La Habra. and was then only a stubble
field. He sunk several wells and developed water, and next installed electric pumping
plants. These have aflforded some 300 inches of water, and by means of his extensive
cement pipe lines, he has an ample supply of water for the irrigating of all his holdings.
He set out Valencia oranges, lemons and walnuts, and now the whole place is an
orchard, presenting an up-to-date, well-kept appearance indicative of the most scientific
procedure highly creditable to Orange County and California.

Mr. Bastanchury is also interested in fine stock and is making a specialty of
breeding pure-bred Berkshire hogs of the finest blood obtainable. His stockyards are
located on the extreme west of his ranch and cover about fifteen acres; the whole is
divided into suitable pens with running water in each pen and cement platforms for
feeding, the whole being thoroughly sanitary. The buildings are large and roomy and
are painted white or covered with whitewash, presenting a splendid appearance. The
heads of his herd, both male and female, were obtained from selected stock from
Gentry in Sedalia, Mo.; Baker of Thornton, Ind.; Lovejoy of Roscoe, 111.; Sid Williams
in Kentucky, and also some from the famous stock farm of Mr. Humphreys near
Stockton, Cal. His exhibit at the State Fair at Sacramento received highest awards, as
did his exhibit at the Livestock Show at Los Angeles and the county fairs at Tulare



546 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

and Riverside; and no wonder, for he spares neither money nor labor to secure and
further develop the best blood for the head of the herd.

At the old Mission town of Los Angeles, Mr. Bastanchury was married to Miss
Elizabeth Depweg, a native of Ohio and a lady of culture and refinement, who is a
splendid helpmate to her husband, encouraging and aiding him in all his ambitions.
They have completed an attractive modern residence, where in true Californian style
they dispense a large-hearted hospitality; a home that is delightfully brightened by their
four children — Domingo. Catherine, Elizabeth and Frederick. He is a member of tlie
La Habra Citrus Association and fraternally is a member of the Santa Ana Lodge of
Elks. He is a stockholder in the Union Bank and Trust Company of Los Angeles,
and also an original stockholder and director in the Citizens Commercial and Savings
Bank of La Habra, where his counsel as well as his optimistic influence is of the
greatest benefit. A man of pleasing personality, as well as of the aggressively progress-
ive action, Mr. Bastanchury never fails to encourage anything which makes for the
upbuilding, as well as the building up, of the county in which he lives and prospers, and
toward the speedy development of which he and his family have contributed so much.

MISS JUSTINE WHITNEY.— Prominent among the officials of Orange County
whose personality as well as their efficient public service have entitled them to the
highest esteem and confidence and rendered them justly popular is the experienced and
accommodating county recorder. Miss Justine Whitney, who has filled that office of
peculiar responsibility for several years past and bids fair to be in requisition for years
to come. She is a daughter of Nathaniel Bradish Whitney, who married Miss Rhuby H.
Houghton, both New Yorkers of English descent, and was born in Lewis County, in
that state, near the home of Franklin B. Hough, one of the greatest American historical
students and scientists, who was the author of the pioneer county history published in
the United States. She attended the local country school and later matriculated at the
Dekin Business College, in Syracuse, from which she was graduated in 1898, well
equipped for the ordinary commercial affairs of life. She was also prepared to instruct
others, and for some years taught school in New York, after which, like other East-
erners who have made a success, she came West and followed newspaper work in
California. She was employed in the office of the Daily Californian at Bakersfield, and
next came to the Daily Evening Blade at Santa Ana.

On March 1, 1903, Miss Whitney was made deputy recorder of Orange County,
and served with untiring fidelity in that office until April, 1914. She was then elected
to be county recorder, and assumed the duties of that office in January, 1915. Four
years later, when the public had ample time to judge of both her ability and her faithful
performance of duty, and also of her acquired, invaluable experience, she was re-elected
and is now serving a second term. Although a Republican in matters of national political
moment. Miss Whitney endeavors to define her attitude toward local issues in a
strictly nonpartisan manner, and to support the best men and the best measures, and
m every way to upbuild, as well as build up, the city and county in which she lives and
IS primarily interested.

Miss Whitney belongs to the Sycamore Lodge of the Rebekahs, where she passed
through the chairs, and in 1896 was appointed district deputy president of District
No. SO, comprising the Rebekah lodges of Orange County, and served for a year. She
is a communicant of the Episcopal Church, but is broad-mindedly interested in religious
and social endeavor generally, and takes pleasure in helping, in a modest way, to make
the world a better place in which to live.

RICHARD T. DAVIES.— A well-known figure in Orange County and popular
with all who know him, R. T. Davies, of Fullerton, has been a factor in the develop-
ment of the city in which he has been a resident for years. A native of South Wales,
he was born at Carmarthen, March 31, 1867, the son of Lewis T. and Mary (Evans)
Davies. who had three children, of which number R. T. was the oldest. Both parents
have long since answered the final roll call.

Richard T. attended the excellent schools of his native shire and later farmed in
that fertile country, so that he knows what hard work means and appreciates the
opportunities offered to men who are willing to work to earn a place for themselves
in this great commonwealth of California. When he was twenty-five years of age he
came to America and for four years he was engaged in farming near Hiawatha, Kans..
learning the ways of this country so that he could better advance in any line of
endeavor he chose to enter. In the fall of 1896 Mr. Davies came to Orange County
and in Orange — then a small village — he found employment in a packing house to
learn the details of the business thoroughly, and gradually he worked his way through




-ri^a^t^ S ^a.^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 549

the various departments during the ensuing seven years. In 1903 lie removed to Fuller-
ton and for several years he packed fruit for a Los Angeles concern, each succeeding
year becoming more closely connected with the citizenry of this section of the county.
In 1912, he decided he would embark in business for himself and accordingly he estab-
lished a packing house at Placentia and in time employed fifty or more people and
used the most modern of machinery and methods. He continued this business until
the fall of 1920. when he sold out the business and equipment and leased the building
— which he owns — to give his time and attention to his growing interests.

Mr. Davies owns orange groves aggregating forty-six acres, and these he is bring-
ing to a high state of production, as they were originally run-down groves when he
purchased them. His thorough knowledge of the orange and lemon industry makes
him an authority on the subject, and all this he has brought to bear in the develop-
ment of his groves.

At Orange, Cal., in 1902, R. T. Davies was united in marriage with Miss Gertrude
Charlotte Kennedy, daughter of William R. and Gertrude Kennedy, both living in
Anaheim. Mr. and Mrs. Davies have been granted four children, John Wesley, Harold.
William and Gertrude, all natives of the Golden State, and being educated in the best
of schools here. Mr. Davies is a stand-pat Republican and has always taken a very
active interest in local and in state politics and has served in the councils of the party
for years, but never can be induced , to accept any office. He is an active member of
the Board of Trade and the Fullerton Club, and participates with vigor in all civic
movements likely to improve, uplift and advance the community. He is a life mem-
ber of the Santa Ana Lodge of Elks, and belongs to the Knights of Pythias and the
Odd Fellows in Fullerton. R. T. Davies is one of the real "boosters" of Orange County
and is a leader in advocating all improvements that build permanently. With several
associates he is interested in oil development of the county, which industry he has
witnessed from its infancy until it has grown to be of such proportions that it
is astonishing the world.

FRANK S. GATES. — A representative business man of Orange County, now re-
tired, whose various operations have always stimulated the commercial life of the
Southland, is Frank S. Gates, a contractor in brick and stonemason work, who was
born in Chicago, III., on November 9, 1862. His father was Francis A. Gates, a native
of Massachusetts, who had married Miss Sarah Fitch, a belle of the Bay State. They
came out to Cheyenne, Wyo., in the late sixties, with their family, and for a couple of
years conducted there a restaurant which was one of the best establishments of its
kind in the town. In 1870 they arrived in the Anaheim district of Los .\ngeles County,
now Orange County, and for seven years Mr. Gates raised grapes on his ranch half a
half a mile to the south of Anaheim. He next bought forty acres of land five miles
southwest of Anaheim, where he lived many years and raised corn. He had one of the
early artesian wells on his property, with a seven-inch pipe and giving three inches of
water, which was used for irrigation purposes. He was a pioneer in experimenting with
tTie date, which he planted from the seed, and was one of the first in America to culti-
vate that fruit. He sent his product to the World's Fair in Chicago, and such was their
quality that they readily took the first prize. Mr. and Mrs. Gates are now both de-
ceased, but three children represent them worthily. The subject of this sketch lives at
Anaheim; a daughter is Mrs. William Huff of Long Beach; and there is another son,
James L., at Anaheim.

For a while Frank S. Gates worked on the home ranch with his father, and then
he learned the brick and stonemason's trade at Anaheim. His first employment was
with the Santa Fe Railroad Company, when he helped to build the road then being
constructed from San Bernardino to San Diego. He had two teams and looked after
the grading; and while working near Ferris, he had an interesting experience. The
men were camping out in tents when a heavy snowstorm came on, the temperature
dropped to ten degrees below zero, and snow piled up in drifts eighteen inches over the
tops of the tents, frozen so hard he could walk over them. Often, too. the Santa Ana
River was full of water, and fording was difficult and dangerous. The country between
Anaheim and Santa Ana was a thick tangle of willows, many feet high. When he first
came to Anaheim, there were two stores, ten saloons and a few houses.

Mr. Gates followed brick and stonemason contracting for thirty years, and many
of the old landmarks he built are still standing. These include the Rossmore Hotel in
Santa Ana and the Hotel Rochester and the Dobner Block in Orange. He also built
the old Spurgeon Block where the first postoffice was located, and the Lacey Block
on Main Street, Santa Ana. He built and owns the modern brick block on North
Lemon Street, Anaheim, occupied by the Romaine Garage. His son Irving was asso-
ciated with him for eight years and now carries on the business and makes and installs
23



550 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

artificial cement blocks. He specializes in porch and mantel construction in fine cottages
and bungalows, and a very able workman he has proven to be.

When Mr. Gates married, he took for his wife Miss Cornelia R. Ryder, a native
of Boston, who died in Anaheim, on September 8, 1918, leaving behind her a very
enviable record for usefulness to society. She established the Floral Nursery at 119
South Illinois Street, now being carried on by her son, Howard E. Gates — the only
nursery in Anaheim, and known throughout the county for its large variety of flowers.
Four children blessed this fortunate union of Mr. and Mrs. Gates. Howard E., is mar-
ried and has one child, Morgan Gates. Adalaid is the wife of Merle G. Anlauf of Santa
Paula, and has three children; Helen, Glenn and Virginia. Irving, the successor of
his father's business; and Inez, the wife of Roy Ivins, of Santa Ana, and the mother
of one daughter, Blanche. Frank S. Gates served for six years as a trustee of the City
of Anaheim; he is an Odd Fellow, belonging to Anaheim Lodge No. 199, and to the
Encampment, the Canton and the Rebekahs, Lodge No. 268; and he is a member of
Company No. 10236, Modern Woodmen of America. For three years he served in the
National Guard of California, Company E and in Company G four years as quarter-
master sergeant. He was a member of the volunteer fire department in Santa Ana
three years, and lived in that city for six years. Mr. Gates has lived many years in
Orange County, has been successful and is now practically retired from active business.

James L. Gates, already referred to as the brother of our subject, was born on
his father's ranch, near Anaheim, on March S, 1875, attended the Alamitos school, and
the Central school at Anaheim, after which he took a thorough course at the Los
Angeles Business College. In the spring of 1898 he went to Alaska, and for seven
years he remained there in the Dawson district, mining and hunting. When he returned
to Anaheim, he took a course in assaying, and then he went to Clark County, Nev..
where he spent two years. His next removal was to Acton, Cal., where he mined for
two and a half years. About seven years ago Mr. Gates returned to Anaheim, and
since then he has been engaged in selling new and second-hand furniture. He married
Miss Bessie Stewart, of Nevada, and has one son, Stuart. He belongs to the Odd
Fellows and attends the Catholic Church.

HENRY ANDREW SCHREINER.— The late manager of the Globe Grain &
Milling Company, Henry Andrew Schreiner, brought to his present business operations,
the most desirable wealth and power for any ambitious man — a rare combination of ex-
perience, character and ideals, which contributed to the increasing success of all that he
undertook. He was a native of Wisconsin, although almost a native son, and so added
another esteemed name to the long list of those hailing from the Badger State. He
was born at Milwaukee on January 18, 1885, the son of Andrew and Annie (Risch)
Schreiner, natives of Bavaria and Wisconsin, and came to Los Angeles, Cal., in
1889, where they engaged in the grocery business on West Washington street, near
Figueroa. Andrew Schreiner passed away in Los Angeles and his widow still makes
her home in the Southern metropolis. Henry A. was the only child of the union and
attended both public and private schools, and later St. Vincent's College, from which
he was graduated in the commercial course. During these years of study, Mr. Schreiner
laid broad and deep those foundations easily discernible by all who analyze his make-
up. He first entered the employ of the Whittier Milling Company, which was sold
after a year and a half to the Globe enterprise; and when the latter opened their place
at Fullerton in about 1909 he became the Globe's manager. For two years he was
president of the Fullerton Club, and was a charter member of the Board of Trade. On
.\pril 9, 1913, Mr. Schreiner was married in Fullerton to Miss Emma Salveson, of Fuller-
ton, whose parents were Hans and Tonnette (Tollofsen) Salveson natives of Sog-
gendal, Norway, where Mr. Salveson followed mining and farming until 1878, when he
came to St. Joseph, Mo., where he was married; after this they farmed at Maysville,
Mo. In 1888 they came to Fullerton, California from Brown County, Kans., and thus
they are among the oldest settlers here, the town just having started at that time.
Later they purchased twenty acres of raw land on North street in East Anaheim,
which they improved from cactus and brush to a splendid Valencia orange grove.
However, most all of these years they have made their home in Fullerton. This worthy
pioneer couple have ten children: Sophia, Mrs. Simpson of Alhambra; Ida, Mrs.
Shaw of Oakley; Sigwald of Fullerton; Emma, Mrs. Schreiner; Theodore resides in
Brea; Herbert makes his home under the parental roof; Selma, Mrs. Callan of West
Orangethorpe; Melvin served overseas in the U. S. Army, and was in the battles of
.\rgonne and St. Mihiel and since his return, with his brother Herbert, he operates
the Salveson Orange ranch; E. Franklin, who is with the Union Tool Company at




^..^^^g^-^"^.^.



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 553

Brea; Louise, Mrs. Swink, resides at Brawley. Mrs. Schreiner was born at Hortoii,
Brown County, Kans., but reared in Fullerton. where she received her education in
the public and high schools.

Mr. Schreiner was a stockholder in the Globe Grain and Milling Company,
and as manager of the Fullerton mills for the company had an enviable record as a
business man. He improved a small orange grove at 638 West Commonwealth Avenue,
where he built his residence and made his home until his death, February 3, 1920,
a sad loss to his family and friends. Popular and fond of social life, Mr. Schreiner
belonged to Anaheim Lodge No. 1345 of the Elks. He was public-spirited and second
to none in advocating and working for civic improvement. The same high standards
demanded by Mr. Schreiner for business efficiency and attainment he applied without
reservation to the conducting of affairs in official life and the performance of duty, in
political matters, by the ordinary and average citizen.

DANFORTH C. COWLES, M.D.— A member of the medical profession of
Orange County of superior training, whose skill and conscientious attention and care
to every patient has enabled him to rise to well-deserved prominence in his chosen
field, is Dr. Danforth C. Cowles, who stands high in the profession, not only in Cali-
fornia, but in the East, where he was very prominent as a surgeon, having a splendid
record in Minneapolis, Minn., so that he was not long in establishing a successful prac-
tice after locating here. Of Southern lineage. Dr. Cowles was born at Richmond, V^a.,
February 21. 1875. His father was Dr. Ransom F. Cowles, a native of Virginia, who
after obtaining his bachelor's degree at the University of Virginia, went abroad, grad-
uating from the University of Heidelberg as an M.D. He practiced in Richmond, \a.,
until the Civil War started, when he served as a surgeon in the Confederate army. He
was married to Miss Dulcinea Rowe, also a native of the Old Dominion. After the
close of the war he continued to practice in Richmond, and there both he and his wife
passed away. They were the parents of two children of whom Danforth C. was the
younger. The older son. Frank, chose a military career, and was killed during military
activities in Brazil.

Danforth C. Cowles early experienced the cares that are reserved for more
mature years. He received the foundation of his education in the public schools, and
at the age of fourteen, an orphan, was thrown upon his own resources for a livelihood.
He earned a living by driving a mule in the coal mines, and with indomitable pluck
and perseverance worked his way through the Virginia Military College, graduating
with the class of 1892 as a civil engineer. He was engaged in this capacity for a few
years with some of the big mining companies in the \\'est. then entered the University
of Minnesota as a student, graduating from the medical department in 1901, with the
degree of M.D. The mantle of the father descended upon the shoulders of the son, and
he spent two years at Bellevue Hospital, New York, acquiring an invaluable experience,
and then going abroad, where he spent three years doing post-graduate work in Edin-
burgh, Vienna and Paris. Returning to Minneapolis, Minn., he estaljlished a lucrative
practice, remaining there for eighteen years. In 1918 he removed to Fullerton, Cal,,
and his professional skill rapidly became well known, so that he has acquired a large
clientele, his patients having implicit confidence in his ability.

In Minneapolis. June, 1900, Dr. Cowles was united in marriage with Miss Ragnhild
Sorensen, a native of La Crosse, Wis., whose father was a well-known editor of La
Crosse, and later of Minneapolis. Minn. She passed away in 1914, leaving him one
child, Danforth C, Jr., now a bright, sturdy lad of eight years. In June, 1918, Dr.
Cowles' second marriage occurred, when he was united with Miss Anna Hicks, a
graduate nurse and a very cultured, refined woman, who is a great aid and encourage-
ment to Dr. Cowles in his profession.

Politically Dr. Cowles is a Republican, and in his religious associations is a
member of the Christian Church, in which he is an elder. Fraternally he is a Scottish
Rite Mason and a Shriner, being a member of Zorah Temple, A. .K. O. N. M. S., at
Minneapolis. His Blue Lodge membership is now in Fullerton Lodge No, 339, F. & A.
M. His fraternal relations are further extended by affiliation with the Knights of
Pythias, and of Anaheim Lodge No. 1345, B. P. O. Elks, He is a member of the
.American Medical .Association, the State Medical Society and the Orange County
Medical Association: and also of the Fullerton Club and the Hacienda Country Club.
An enthusiastic booster, Dr. Cowles is active in the circles of the Fullerton Board of
Trade, and he is as well known for his public spirit and tireless activity in the interests
of his adopted city. Fullerton. as he is for his skill as a surgeon and medical prac-
titioner. Dr. Cowles has traveled extensively in many parts of tlie world, and during
his residence in Minneapolis he made trips to Europe each year, and there visited the
hospitals and attended the Old World clinics.



554 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

ELWOOD COATE. — A man of exceptionally high character and agreeable per-
sonality is Elwood Coate, who was born at Pleasant Hill, Miami County, Ohio, on
December 12, 1843. His father was the Rev. Samuel T. Coate. a native of Miami
County, and also a merchant, who in 1853 removed with his family to Marengo, Iowa,
and after five years settled in the neighborhood of Le Grand, Marshall County, where
he was a successful farmer, and where his wife died. In 1882 he removed to Cloud
County, Kans., and there resided until his death, when he closed an enviable record of
forty years service in the Christian Church ministry. Mrs. Coate was Harriet Anthony
before her marriage; she was a native of Ohio, and was educated at Earlham Academy
in Indiana. She was a cultured, refined woman, esteemed for her liberal education,
and as a minister in the Christian Church, to which she, too, had been ordained, she
was a gifted public speaker. She died in Iowa in 1881.

The Coates are of English extraction, and may proudly trace their family tree back
to Marmaduke Coate, who came from Cumberland, England, to South Carolina, and
joined the Society of Friends. He had a son, William, and he in turn had a son also
named Marmaduke — the great-grandfather of the subject of our sketch. He removed
from North Carolina to Pennsylvania, and there with a Mr. Coppock, bought 5,000
acres of land from the Indians, some of which now lies in the rich oil belt of western
Pennsylvania. In 1806 he came to Miami County, Ohio, and bought land at twenty-
five cents per acre near Pleasant Hill; and the old home place he erected is still stand-
ing. Grandfather James Coate was born in Ohio. On his mother's side Mr. Coate is
descended from John Furnas, also a native of Cumberland, England, whose father was
a lord and large landowner. John Furnas has four sons born in England — William,
John, Thomas and Jonathan. John Furnas had married Mary W'ilkinson, the ceremony
occurring in the meeting house of the Friends. They came to North Carolina, arriving
in Charleston on February 18, 1763: and while they were in the harbor, another son,
Joseph, was born, who, when he grew up, married a Miss Teague. The name was
originally Furness, and was changed to Furnas in South Carolina. The father was an
early pioneer in Iowa, when government land went begging at $1.25 per acre, although
later the land was rapidly gobbled up.



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 64 of 191)