Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 70 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 70 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


596 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

himself and family. However, he was not permitted to enjoy the fruits of his labors
for he was called to the Great Beyond, May 1, 1895, mourned by his family and friends.
He was buried in Calvary Cemetery, Los Angeles. He left a widow and four children
as follows: Antoinette; Joseph, who served in the U. S. Navy in the World War and
now ably assists his mother in the care of their large ranch; Magdalena and Marian.
They all reside with their mother and having been reared in an atmosphere of culture
and refinement the daughters ably assist her in gracefully presiding over the home.
Mrs. Sansinena afterwards became Mrs. Ysidoro Eseverri and all make their residence
at the old home.

Mr. Sansinena was a modest and unassuming man but of strict integrity and
honesty of purpose which greatly endeared him to all with whom he came in contact.
He was industrious and energetic and was never afraid of work nor to venture
in this new country, where in his prime he entered the wilderness and claimed the
virgin soil as his heritage. Thus it is to pioneers of his type that Orange County today
owes much of its present development and greatness, for without their spirit of energy
and optimism the present generation would not now be enjoying the well improved
country with its paved roads and other public conveniences and essentials to give them
the present day comforts and pleasures. Liberal and kind-hearted to a fault, Mr. San-
sinena's e.xample is well worthy of emulation.

JOSEPH WILLIAM JOHNSON.— Among the best-known ranchers and business
men of both Yorba Linda and Placentia may well be listed J. W. Johnson, a leader in
legitimate "boosting" for the locality, who lives on the Richfield Road near the Yorba
Linda Boulevard. He was born in County Durham, England, near the famous cathedral
and the old, historic town of that name, on June 22. 1863. the son of Manuel Johnson, a
farmer and a landowner, whose chief crops were hay and grain. He had married Miss
Annie Walker, a daughter of an old and well-established family that had sent, in her
brothers, several representatives to Parliament.

From a boy, our subject had yearned for travel; and when only fourteen he
crossed the ocean to New York City, and then came on to the coal regions, where he
found employment. Since then he has crossed and recrossed the Atlantic seven times.
Having enjoyed the benefits of a good common school education in England, the lad
readily made his way in America, being apt at learning; and having become a mining
expert, he was busy for a while in New Mexico, serving even as deputy sheriff at
Albuquerque. In 1891, however, he decide to abandon mining, and coming on to Cali-
fornia, he stopped for a while at Los .Angeles, and then came on to Santa Ana, which
was then but a small village.

After serving as game warden at the Bolsa Gun Club, he leased land on the Irvine
Ranch, and has been pursuing agriculture there or elsewhere ever since. In 1899 he
removed to Placentia and purchased five acres on the flats east of Richfield; and this
land he improved and developed, making of it a very profitable grove of oranges.
Meanwhile, he contracted for the making and grading of roads and the care of the
water reservoirs for Yorba Linda, and altogether he spent fifteen years in the service
of the Santa Fe Railroad, grading and making crossings, and also graded the streets
for the town of Placentia when it was laid out. Of late years he has had full charge
as superintendent of some ninety acres in Yorba Linda, and has set out much of this
to lemons, using nursery stock developed on his own ranch. Having recently sold his
five-acre ranch, he intends to locate on more open land and to improve a still larger
area. This has not weakened Mr. Johnson's interest in Placentia and Yorba Linda in
any respect, for he still has the utmost confidence in a brilliant future for both; and as
both an American citizen of the one hundred per cent type, and a stanch Republican, he
supported vigorously all the varied work of the recent war. and also all movements
for the building up of the community. Mr. Johnson has one, daughter, Mrs. Laura
Speck, of Santa Barbara, and she is the mother of a daughter, Ethel Speck.

JOSEPH KEE. — For twenty years Joseph Kee of Buena Park has been identi-
fied with the general farming interests of Orange County, having located on his present
ranch in 1900. At that time the land was in its primitive state and he, as well as
many other ranchers, was obliged to put up with many inconveniences, and suffered
the setbacks common in those days among the early settlers in a new territory. By
hard work and sound business management Mr. Kee has overcome his earlier obstacles
and today is counted as one of the successful and substantial ranchers in his section
of the county.

Joseph Kee was born in McHenry County, 111., on March 10, 1850, a son of
James and Rachel (Morton) Kee. His father was a native of the Emerald Isle,
while his mother was born in either New York or Illinois of Irish parents. The family
of Mr. and Mrs. James Kee consisted of twelve children, six of whom are living.




Ijig.b'jSM. WdhniKs i,3ro.Kt'



^^S^j/,'^.



'£^ Qj /(O^M'&i-U-



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 599

In April, 1877, Joseph Kec moved to McPherson County, Kans., where he re-
mained until 1887, when he migrated to Los Angeles County, Cal. He lived near
San Gabriel for thirteen years, then settled on his present ranch of twenty acres,
situated on Almond Street, Buena Park.

In March, 1878, Joseph Kee was united in marriage with Miss Jennie B. Mitchell,
who was reared on the adjoining farm in Illinois where Mr. Kee was born, and of
this happy union four children were born: Clarence, Elenora, wife of Robert Brown
of Santa Ana; Ormiston, and Charlotte, wife of Willis Cornwell of Stanislaus County.
Mrs. Kee is a native of Illinois and is of Scotch ancestry.

In addition to his general farming operations, Mr. Kee devotes considerable
time to raising poultry, his flock of fowls numbering about 250. In politics he has
supported the Republican candidates since he has voted, and he is highly esteemed in his
community for his integrity of character and good citizenship. He was reared in
the Episcopal Church.

MRS. DOLORES ESEVERRL— A woman who has nobly done her part to build
up and improve the northern part'of Orange County and who has displayed wonderful
native business acumen and optimism in her effort of transforming the raw land into
beautiful orchards loaded with golden fruit, such a woman is Mrs. Dolores Eseverri,
who is a native of far away Spain, born at Pamplona, Navarra, a country noted for the
modesty and high moral character of its people and where the honor of the home is
very sacred and guarded with the most zealous care.

Her parents were Juan and Antonia Ordoqui, also natives of Pamplona, where her
father was a carpenter of known ability. When the news of the discovery of gold in
California reached Navarra he immediately joined the rush to the new Eldorado and
was one of the Argonauts, coming via the Isthmus of Panama to San Francisco in 1849.
After several years he returned to his home in Spain; however, he was so well im-
pressed with the opportunities in the land of sunshine and flowers on the Pacific Coast
and the call of the West became so strong that he finally concluded to make it his
home. So responding to the allurement, he brought his wife and two children, Manuel
and Dolores, settling in Los Angeles County in 1872, where he became a well-to-do
sheep raiser, and during his lifetime became the owner of large herds as well as a
ranch now the present site of Palms, near Los Angeles. Later he purchased a residence
in Los Angeles where he made his home until his death in 1909, his widow surviving
him until 1911. The son Manuel is now a business man in Los Angeles.

Thus in this beautiful environment of sunny Southern California Dolores Ordoqui
grew to womanhood receiving a liberal education in the Sisters Convent in Los Angeles.
She was first married in her early womanhood, the ceremony being performed at the
old Plaza Church at Los Angeles, when she was united with Jose Sansinena, who was
a native of Aldudes, France, and had come to Los Angeles County in 1872 and had
become a successful stockman. After their marriage they gradually enlarged their
operations until their flocks became very large and they acquired by purchase 5,000
acres of the Stearns rancho, which at the time was all grazing land and being well
watered by springs was well adapted to sheep raising, in which they specialized. Mr.
Sansinena was most successful in his business, increasing his herds year by year until
their flocks numbered about 15.000 head. He passed away in 1895 leaving his widow
and four children. Antoinette. Joseph, Magdelena and Marian.

On March 25, 1901. Mrs. Sansinena was married a second time when Ysidoro
Eseverri became her husband. He was likewise born in Navarra, Spain, the son of
Pablo and Josefa Eseverri, the father being a prominent merchant in that locality. He
received his education in his native land and when still a youth he came alone to
California, where he engaged in sheep raising. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs.
Eseverri continued ranching, gradually selling off their sheep and engaging in farming
and horticulture. Mr. and Mrs. Eseverri are the parents of one daughter, Josephine.
They have disposed of a considerable portion of the Sansinena ranch, which at one
time was one of the largest in this part of the county. The whole acreage formerly lay
in Los Angeles County, but when Orange County was organized its northern boundary
line passed directly through the Sansinena ranch. The family have planted large
orchards to Valencia and Navel oranges, lemons, walnuts and avocados now in bearing,
while the balance of the ranch is devoted to raising hay. The place is under an excellent
system of irrigation for, besides service from the La Habra Water Company, they have
installed their own pumping plant, thus giving ample water for irrigating their orchard
and crops. In 1917 a large and beautiful new residence of colonial style of architec-
ture was erected, where Mrs. Eseverri resides with her husband and children, who
are devoted to her and shower on her their afTection and loving care, and in their liberal
and unostentatious way they are all pleased to welcome their many friends and take
great delight in dispensing the old-time Californian hospitality.



600 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

WILLIAM H. BURNHAM.— An experienced business man of the East who has
distinguished himself as a good financier and has therefore been able, as a resident of
California, to exert an important and helpful influence in controlling and directing
movements in the development of the Golden State, is William H. Burnham, who was
born at Ellington, Conn., in 1851. Both his father, John Burnham, and his grandfather,
of the same name, were natives of Brattleboro, Vt., the family having been founded in
Hartford, Conn., in 1636, by Thomas Burnham who came from England. John Burn-
ham, the father of our subject, settled in Ellington and later was associated with
Daniel Halladay, the windmill manufacturer at Coventry; and in 1856 he came to
Chicago as sales agent for the Halladay Company. Under his able initiative, their
western business rapidly increased, and they established a factory at Batavia, Kane
County, 111., on which account Daniel Halladay came out to Chicago, and had the
concern incorporated. The enterprise was known as the U. S. Wind Engine and Pump
Company, and Messrs. Halladay and Burnham were the principal owners. The Daniel
Halladay referred to afterwards located in Santa Ana, where he was prominently con-
nected with that city's growth and development. In time, John Burnham became
president of the company, and he held that office for many years; and when he retired,
to spend his last days at Orange, where he eventually died, he was succeeded as presi-
dent by his son, our subject. Mrs. Burnham was Miss Delia A. Damon before her
marriage, and she was a native of Lunenburg, W^orcester County, Mass., and the
daughter of the I^ev. David Damon, a prominent Unitarian minister of English descent,
who for many years preached at West Cambridge, now Arlington. She also died at
Orange, the mother of two children, of whom William H. alone grew to maturity.

He attended the public schools of Batavia. 111., and later studied at Lombard
University, reluctantly abandoning his courses in the sophomore year when, on account
of failing health, he had to hie away to Florida. On his return, in the spring of 1872.
he entered the employ of the United States Wind Engine Company, beginning at the
bottom in the paint shop and advancing as draftsman, shipping clerk, and traveling
salesman. In the latter capacity he visited almost every section of the United States.
Canada and even Mexico: and having served the company with signal ability as general
sales agent, he became superintendent and finally president, a position of honor and
responsibility he filled for several years.

Undoubtedly Mr. Burnham inherited much ability for executive management, for
especially during his presidency the business of the company was greatly increased,
and they came to enjoy a large and ever-expanding trade with both the United States
and foreign countries, a volume of work and prosperity of direct personal interest for
father and son held a controlling interest in the concern. Finally, the close application
and strain again told too much upon him, and, desiring to conserve his health, he con-
cluded to give up the management. The Burnhams, therefore, in 1892 sold their
controlling interest, but retained a tenth of the stock and the business of making
windmills, pump fixtures, tanks, railroad water stations, steel towers for tanks, water
cranes and standpipes goes on under the old firm name. They made the steel towers
used by the Edison Company of Southern California, and they turned out three differing
patterns of mills — the United States, the Gem and the Halladay Standard.

In the spring of 1893, Messrs. John and William H. Burnham came west to
California; and taking a fancy to Orange, they purchased property there and that
summer built a residence. In October, they moved to the Golden State "for good."
and at once began to improve the place, grubbing out the old trees and setting out
oranges and lemons. About seventeen other families also came here from Batavia,
111., and accordingly they named the street Batavia. as a result of which the property
of the Burnhams was situated on the corner of Batavia and La Veta.

From the time when he was once well established here. Mr. Burnham has taken a
prominent part in local affairs. He became interested in the old Commercial Bank in
Santa .Ana. and was a director, and later he was also interested in the Bank of Orange,
when it was principally owned by the Commercial Bank of Santa Ana. and was a
" director there as early as 1898. When the Bank of Orange was taken over by Orange
people, he continued to be a director, and later he was made president. He continued
in that enviable office when it was made the National Bank of Orange; and after many
years of service as a president and a director, he resigned first from one office and
then from the other, but he is still intrested in the bank as a stockholder. He was
also one of the organizers of the Orange Savings Bank, in which he is still interested.
Mr. Burnham was also one of the organizers of and a director in the Santiago Orange
Growers Association, withdrawing after many years when he sold his ranch in 1916
and moved to Los Angeles, where he and his family now reside at 401 South Kingsley
Drive. He was one of the organizers and director of the H. R. Boynton Company,
afterwards changed to the Pacific Pipe and Supply • Company, and succeeded Mr.



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 603

Boynton as president, a position he tilled for some time, until he resigned to accept
the vice-presidency, as it' required less of his time. For the past ten years he has been
a director of the Title Insurance and Trust Company of Los Angeles.

At Geneva. 111., on December 9, 1880, Mr. Burnham was married to Miss Katharine
P. French, a native of St. Charles, Kane County, 111., and the daughter of Rolla and
Mary C. (Cook) French, born, respectively, in Vermont and Erie County, N. Y.; they
were joined in matrimony at St. Charles, after which Mr. French became a stock
broker in Chicago. When he died, he was an officer of the Miner Bank of St. Charles.
Mrs. Burnham's maternal grandfather. Franklin Cook, emigrated with his family, includ-
ing herself and her mother, to Denver in 1861, crossing the great plains with ox-teams,
and in 1862 he died at Guy House, Colo. Mrs. F'rench with her daughter, Katharine,
returned to Illinois in 1868 and located in Chicago on account of the educational
advantages ofTered there for her daughter, making the trip from Denver to Cheyenne
by the Overland stage, and then by rail to the city on the lakes; and in Chicago, Mrs.
Burnham enjoyed the best educational advantages in the West. The fortunate union
of Mr. and Mrs. Burnham has been blessed by three children, all of whom have
reflected the highest credit upon the family name. Ralph F., the eldest, and William H.,
Jr., the youngest, are both graduates of the Throop Polytechnic Institute at Pasadena,
and together they have developed a citrus ranch of 140 acres three miles east of River-
side, which they haye named La Colina. Mary, the only daughter, a graduate of the
Marlborough School in Los Angeles, married Henry Fay Grant, who died at Franklin,
Pa., and now she assists her mother to preside over the Burnham home.

Mr. Burnham was. one of the original trustees of the Orange Union high school,
having been prominent in the energetic work required to bring it into existence; and
he was also one of the original members of the Orange County Highway Commission
and did yeoman service with Charles C. Chapman and M. M. Crookshank. In national
political affairs Mr. Burnham is a Republican; but he is too broad-minded to permit
narrow partisanship to interfere with his hearty support of every good candidate and
every excellent measure likely to help upbuild the community in which he lives and
prospers.

JOSEPH G. QUICK.— A successful real estate broker, who has done much to
bring about sound and stable conditions in California realty, is Joseph G. Quick, a
native of Canton, Fulton County, III., where he was born on April 1, 1856. His father
was Andrew Jackson Quick, a farmer and wheelwright, who married Elizabeth Gardi-
ner. .\ndrew J. Quick was born in Penn Yan, N. Y., in 1831, of an old family of that
state. He came to Illinois in about 1852, where he ran a carriage and wagon factory
and also engaged in farming. Joseph G. Quick's maternal grandfather, Joseph H.
Gardiner, came from Penn Yan, N. Y.. to Fulton County. 111., about 1836, when his
daughter Elizabeth was a little girl. The parents both passed away in Illinois. They
had nine children, among whom Joseph was the eldest.

Joseph attended the grammar and high school of his district, and later took a
course at the business college in Jacksonville, 111., then for a while he farmed and later
manufactured brick and tile at Cuba, 111. In both of these fields he succeeded, until
his health broke down and he was advised to seek a milder climate. In June, 1887,
he came to California and Santa Ana and in the latter place established himself in
the real estate business and is today the oldest dealer in town. He was successful from
the first, and having acquired local experience and extended widely his circle of friends,
he did a general brokerage business. He made a specialty of handling estates, having
served as state appraiser of Orange County for many years and is well qualified to
advise people who come here and wish to invest in property or otherwise set their
affairs in order. He was one of the organizers and secretary of the Santa Ana and
Fresno Land Company: this company owns nine sections of land about fifteen miles
southwest of Fresno, which is devoted to general farming. Mr. Quick has seen Santa
Ana develop from a small village to a city of its present size, and he has been privileged
to help shape the destiny of the town. He has served as a city trustee, and it was during
his incumbency that the city hall was built. As a man of business affairs Mr. Quick's
worth was recognized in his election to be a director of the California National Bank,
in the organization of which he was a charter member. Influential in the councils
of the Republican party. Mr. Quick has always attended to his local duties in the
most nonpartisan manner.

At Cuba. Fulton County. 111., on March 6. 1879. Mr. Quick was married to Martha
Grigsby. daughter of William and Dorcas (Collins) Grigsby. well-knowh residents of
the Prairie State. William Grigsby served in the Union Army during the Civil War
and was killed at the battle of Missionary Ridge. Mrs. Quick was educated in Fulton
County. 111., and for some years was engaged in educational work, teaching in her



604 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUXTY

home district about six years. Both Mr. and Mrs. Quick are home-folks and take pride
in their beautiful residence at 1608 East Fourth Street. They are members of the
Methodist Episcopal Church of Santa .Ana and have actively participated in its up-
building and benevolences. Mr. Quick was a member of its board of trustees for many
years and is now president of the board, and during the building of the church and
later during its remodeling he was member and treasurer of the building committee.
Both are musical and Mr. Quick was leader of the Methodist choir for twenty years
until about ten years ago when he resigned from the position. Always intensely
interested in raising the standard of education as well as society and its morals, they
have made their influence felt and are much loved and highly esteemed for the part they
have taken in the community's welfare.

REV. JACOB KOGLER.— .\ man of God who has had much to do with the
development of education in Orange County on a broad and lasting basis is the Rev.
Jacob Kogler. now enjoying a well-earned retirement. He came to Orange in the early
eighties, and has been connected with important town and county interests ever since.
He was born near Stuttgart, Wnertemberg. Germany, on January 0, 1847, the son of
Michael Kogler, a worthy carpenter and builder, and Caroline Kogler, his de\otcd wife.
They were conscientious Lutherans, and they both died where they had lived.

The lad received the customary elementary training given to tlie Gerniun youth,
and then entered the high school at Ludvvigsburg, and later on a preparatory institute
at Steenden, Nassau, where he was prepared for the ministry. As early as 1870, he
crossed the ocean to .America and entered the Concordia Seminary at St. Louis, from
which he was graduated in 1874. He was ordained at Minneapolis as a minister of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church, and soon afterward accepted a call as pastor of St. John's
Lutheran Church, whose congregation he served for four years. Then he removed to
Belle Plaine, Minn., where he was pastor until 1881.

In that year he came to Orange, Cal., where he organized St. John's Lutheran
Church, which was started with a membership of six families; also started St. John's
parochial school, for which a lot on the corner of South Olive and .Almond streets was
purchased. To that site an old building was moved, and in 1882 the nucleus of the
congregation was formed. Both that and the school grew, and the building was
enlarged, so that it had an area of 24x48 feet, used for both school and worship
purposes. The Rev. Kogler was pastor from the start, and he also taught the school
until a teacher could be supported; and now the school maintains four teachers. Li 1893
the church edifice at the corner of .Almond and South Olive streets was built, and in 1913
the congregation built the imposing new stone structure at a cost of $50,000, including
the pipe organ.

The Rev. Kogler continued active as pastor until 1917, when he resigned and retired.
He had helped found and was an active member of the California and Nevada Synod,
of which he is an ex-president, and he organized the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
Anaheim, and was pastor there when the church was built. After a while, the church
became strong enough to call and support its own pastor. He also started the Trinity
Lutheran Congregation in Santa Ana.

Rev. Mr. Kogler was married at Minneapolis to Miss Dora Schultz, a native of that



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 70 of 191)