Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 71 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 71 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


city, and a charming woman most suitable as his life companion and real helpmate^
Eleven children blessed their marriage, nine of whom are still living. They are Paul,
Henry, William, Edwin, Walter, Dora, Alma, Lydia, Clara, and they all reside in
Orange County; there are also twelve grandchildren. Patriotic and devoted to the
institutions of the country in which they have lived, labored and prospered, the Rev.
and Mrs. Kogler ma\- look back upon fields of religious and civic endeavor well tilled,
and upon harvests of which no one need be ashamed. They h;i\ e always been deeply
interested in all that pertains to the permanent welfare of (,)rangc and Orange County,
and have lived long enough to see \-critable miracles wrought in this most favored
section of the Golden State.

ANGUS JAMES CROOKSHANK.— In every community that has shown a grad-
ual growth and development of its varied industrial, agricultural and horticultural
interests, the most active factor in that growth is the financial backing behind everj'
movement which has as its aim the permanent building up and the stabilizing of
commerce. The bank is the institution to look to for capital, and the banker has to
be an extra human being with broad ideas to so safeguard the finances in his care
that a minimum of loss will be a result. In Santa Ana the financial institutions are
of the soundest and those men at the helm have shown their true worth in so looking
after the loans and investments of their banks as to bring the greatest good to the
greatest number of people. The First National Bank was established in 1886 by
Miles M. Crookshank, an experienced banker, whose career as a financier began in



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 607

Iowa, and it was his guiding hand through a long term of years that firmly estab-
lished the institution in the community. He had the co-operation of his sons, C. S.
and A. J., and today, Angus James Crookshank, as president of the bank, has succeeded
to the position long held by his sire.

Angus J. Crookshank was born in Central City, Iowa, on June 1, 1865, the son
of Miles M. and Margaret A. (McLeod) Crookshank, both born in Nova Scotia, of
sturdy Scotch ancestry, .\fter his school days were over A. J. began his active career
in his father's bank at Gladbrook, Iowa, and in that institution he remained until the
family came to California in July, 1886, and settled in Santa Ana. After the First
National Bank was organized he has held a position in the bank, with but a short
time that he was out of it on account of his health, up to the present time. His father
died on January 15, 1916, at which time .\. J. succeeded to that most important posi-
tion. Besides he is a director in the Farmers and Merchants Savings Bank, the depart-
ment organized as a savings bank from the original institution, and with these varied
cares he is recognized as among the leading financiers in Orange County. Other busi-
ness interests claim some of his attention, but it is as a banker that he is best known.
In fact, there have been but few progressive movements put forward in this county
that have not had his assistance and advice. He is loyal to the county of his adoption
and has won friends in every part of Orange County.

Mr. Crookshank was united in marriage at San Jose, Cal., on January 5, 18S18.
with Miss Josephine M. White, a native daughter, born in Nevada Count3-, the daughter
of James M. White, an early settler of the state and for years an official in Nevada
County. This union has been blessed by the birth of the following children: Miles
J., Constance V., Josephine N., and Marion F., all natives of the Golden State. Mr.
Crookshank is an active member of the Congregational Church of Santa Ana, having
been for years an officer in the church. He is a stanch Republican in national affairs,
but in local matters he places the man or measure before party. He has never failed
to do his part as a public-spirited citizen and many are the projects that he has fos-
tered that have helped to make Orange County one of the best-known localities in
California.

FRANK L. KLENTZ. — .\mong the ablest of all the sugar manufacturers of the
United States, F, L. Klentz, superintendent of the Santa Ana Sugar Company's plant
at Dyer, is also one of the best known men in his line. He is also known to his many
friends and admirers as a benevolent man with generous impulses and broad, liberal
ideas. Born at Norfolk, Nebr., February 6, 1875, Frank L. attended the common
schools of his locality and when sixteen years old entered the employ of the Oxnard
Sugar Company at Norfolk, and remained with that concern for eight years, mastering
the technical details of the business. In 1898 he went to Kalamazoo, Mich., and for two
years was with the Kalamazoo Sugar Company, and for the two years following was in
the employ of the sugar companj- located in Rochester, that state. A couple of years
were spent with the Detroit Sugar Company, then for one year he was with the
Menominee River Sugar Company, at Menominee; and still later spent three years
identified with the Chippewa Sugar Company at Chippewa Falls, Wis. At Charlevoix,
Mich., he superintended the erection of a large sugar mil! for the West Michigan
Sugar Company, and operated it for three years. In 1909 Mr. Klentz came to Cali-
fornia and was with the Southern California Sugar Company, at Santa Ana two years.

The eventful period in his eventful career came to him in 1911, when the Santa
Ana Cooperative Sugar Company was organized with Mr. Klentz as superintendent, to
procure for the company one of the most up-to-date sugar mills that could be brought
into being here in Orange County. This was accomplished by Mr. Klentz writing his
own specifications for the mill and letting the contract to the Dyer Company of Cleve-
land, Ohio, to erect the mill as specified. This mill has proven to lie the most eco-
nomical mill in the United States from the point of cost of production. Not only did
he superintend the building of the large plant but he has superintended the manufacture
of the sugar there ever since.

The Santa Ana Sugar Company was started as a cooperative concern by the
Crookshanks. Mr. Irvine and other Santa Ana capitalists, who financed it until it was
purchased by the Holly Company, and it has done much to firmly establish one of the
most important industries in the county. The factory at Dyer is 66x266 feet in di-
mension, is stiuated two miles southeast of Santa .-Xna. and is said to be the most
sanitary, the best equipped and most productive of high grade sugar from the bee*,
made in the most economical way of any of the great factories in California. During
the busy season as many as 425 men are employed and the factory easily handles 1,000
tons daily, or 1,200 tons if pushed to extra exertion; 80 to 100 tons of lime rock is used
daily for refining the sugar, and this is produced by burning the rock in its own kilns
on the premises. In 1920, to enhance the efficiency of the mill, a new Steflfens House,



608 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

costing $300,000 was erected and equipped with the most modern of machinery known
to science for the manufacture of beet sugar. The manager is E. W. Smiley; the mast<'r
mechanic is F. J. Wagner; the field superintendent is William Gearhart and the sup'-r-
intendent is Mr. Klentz.

The Holly Sugar Corporation of Denver is a gigantic concern and besides owning
the Southern California Sugar Company at Delhi, the Holly Sugar Company, at Hunt-
ington Beach; and the Santa Ana Sugar Company at Dyer, owns and controls many
o^her factories in other' Counties in this state as well as other* parts of the United
States. The first mill of this company was started in Colorado. C. A. Johnson is the
western manager, and has his headquarters at Huntington Beach, as has G. J. Daley,
the general superintendent.

As a rough estimate it is safe to say that Orange County will produce $15,000,000
of sugar beets and $22,000,000 of manufactured sugar in 1920, considering the present
inflated prices; this is interesting as compared with the output of the Santa Ana (Co-
operative) Sugar Company's plant in 1912, when 226 independent ranchers grew 9,061
acres of beets, and there was an output of 600 tons daily capacity of the plant.

Frank L. Klentz was married in Chicago to Miss Lucy C. Breunig, of Humphrey,
Nebr., and one son has blessed their union, Lawrence B. He is in the aviation service
of the United States and is stationed at Riverside, Cal. The family home is at 806
South Birch Street, and is the center of a genuine, unostentatious hospitality.

JOHN M. BUSH, JR. — A thoroughly enterprising and successful rancher worthily
representing a very thorough-going pioneer who stood -for great- things in early days,
is John M. Bush, Jr., the youngest of ten children of John M. Bush, who was Ijorn in
Kentucky, April 10, 1829, and who removed with his parents to Clay County, Mo.,
when he was twelve years of age. At the outbreak of the excitement concerning the
discovery of gold in California, young Bush, on the day he was of age, set out across
the wide continent, crossing the plain in an ox-team train, and in his new venture he
succeeded well enough to prefer to remain where he was, rather than to return East.
In 1851 he was married in Northern California to Sarah A. Watson, of Independence,
Mo., where she was born in 1836. In about 1869 he came to what is now Orange County
and bought land in Peralta district with his partner, Jonathan Watson," accumulating a
large tract of land, part of it now known as the Bixby ranch. He sold off most of it but
retained 150 acres which he highly improved and is now divided between his children.
He was for a while a walnut rancher on the Santa Ana Canyon Boulevard, about two
and a half miles northeast of Olive. He died on February 8, 1913. Mrs. Bush, his
faithful companion for so many years, passed away on the home place, March 26, 1920,
in the eighty-fourth year of her age. At her demise, the Santa .-Xna Register pub-
lished the following obituary:

"Mrs. Sarah Ann Bush, pioneer, died at her home at Olive, where she had

lived since 1869. In going, this remarkable woman leaves 105 descendants — ten

children, fifty-five grandchildren, forty great-grandchildren. Her husband, John

M. Bush, died seven years ago. Of their fourteen children, ten are living and

nine were present at the bedside of their mother when death came. One, Taylor

Bush, for many years zanjero for the Santa .A^na Valley Irrigation Company alone

was absent, being in the East on a visit. Everyone of Mrs. Bush's ten children

are married. Each has a family, but none of them has equalled in numbers the

family of their dear mother. One has nine, another eight, two have seven each,

one has six, another five, two have four each, another three, while Taylor has

two. Some of Mrs. Bush's children have grandchildren. Mrs. Bush came across

the plains with her parents when she was a girl of twelve. Her father ran a

hotel and did a freighting business at Dry Creek, near Marysville, during gold

excitement days. It was in 1869 that she and her husband, John M. Bush, moved

to Olive with her brother, Jonathan Watson, the well known pioneer sheepman,

now an orchardist at Olive. The ten children left by Mrs. Bush are: Mrs. P. J.

Ralls, Charles T. and Jonathan Bush, Mrs. L. J. Stone and Mrs. Lillie Holloway,

all of Kern County; Mrs. Elizabeth Borden, of San Bernardino; J. M. and T-

Taylor Bush, and Mrs. Phoebe Burbank, all of Olive; and Mrs. S. C. Howard,

of Long Beach."

John M. Bush, Jr., was born, a native son — of which fact he is naturally proud —

on the home ranch above Olive, on December 18, 1880, and was educated in the public

schools of Olive, in which community he also grew up. In 1903 he was married to

Miss Amelia Lemke, the daughter of the late Chris and Julia Lemke of Olive, originally

of German descent. She first came to America in 1890, and was fortunate in settling

in the beginning in Orange County. They are the parents of three children: \'ictor

M., Terry N. and Mildred. Both as an agriculturist and a horticulturist, Mr. Bush has

attained an enviable position among Orange County farmers, and his thirty acres of



HISTORY OF ORAXGE COUNTY 611

walnuts and Valencia oranges, which he set out himself, might well be the pride of
anyone ambitious of developing a ranch to a high state of productivity. He still cares
for the old home ranch which is devoted to walnuts and has the oldest walnut trees
in the county. He is a memljer and director of Mutual Orange Distributors Association
at Olive, and for several years served as a trustee of Olive school district. Always a
public-spirited citizen, Mr. Bush and his good wife respond in particular to any move-
ment likely to -advance permanently the best interests of the town and the county in
which they live and prosper.

GERALD W. SANDILANDS.— A well-trained American of Scotch parentage
who has joined in helping to develop the resources of the state, and who, as manager
and secretary of a live organization has aided in particular in advancing the citrus
interests of Orange County, is Gerald W. Sandilands, a native of London, where he
was born on April 28. 1874. He is the son of George M. Sandilands, who was in the
government service at Singapore, India, and there served as a member of the local
legislature; he had married Miss Jane F. C. Gordon, by whom he had nine children.
Five of these are living; and among the family, Gerald was the second youngest.

Having been prepared at both public and private schools in England, Mr. Sandi-
lands then attended the famous College of London, after which, at the age of eighteen,
he came out to the United States. He had a brother at Anaheim, and this circum-
stance led to his coming here and to buying a ranch at Placentia. For four years he
raised oranges, and then he embarked in buying oranges at Riverside, and soon came
to operate the largest packing house in that city. His brother handled the Riverside
end of the business, and Mr. Sandilands for three years respresented the enterprise
in New York.

Next Mr. Sandilands went to Porto Rico and Jamaica, and handled oranges there
for three years, becoming thoroughly familiar with that market. After that he came
back to California, while his brother went to Montreal, and for five years he managed
the independent shippers. In 1909 he took the management of the Anaheim Citrus
Fruit Association, which he so well organized that he built it up to be the largest
association, in membership and acreage, in California. The original organization be-
came so large that it was necessary to organize another association, which was done
in July. 1918, when the Orange and Lemon Association came into being in order to
properly handle and market the fruit. The membership of the new association is over
150 and the acreage represented is more than 2,400. During the season it takes 20'>
persons to handle the output, which averages each year 1,000 carloads of fruit. Besides
his connection with the marketing of citrus fruits, Mr. Sandilands is actively engaged
in growing oranges, having developed one grove himself. He has thirty-five acres of
oranges in his two groves and is the second largest producer in the association. His
success has been made possible because he is familiar with every branch of the busi-
ness he has followed for the past twenty-eight years, from preparing the soil to selling
the product, a recognized authority on all subjects connected with each department.

On November 2, 1898, Mr. Sandilands was married to Miss Rose B. Robison, and
their fortunate union has been blessed with the birth of one son, Donald W. Mr.
Sandilands is a Mason, but so full of the fraternal spirit that he is capal)le at all times
of demonstrating his public-spiritedness, and his willingness to cooperate with others
for the highest standard of good citizenship.

THOMAS E. DOZIER.— Two highly-esteemed pioneers of Orange County, who
represent distinguished families of North Carolina, among the flower of Southern
chivalry and worth, are Mr. and Mrs. Thomas E. Dozier, who reside in their elegant
and hospitable home at 532 East Chapman Avenue, Orange. Mr. Dozier was born
in Booneville, Yadkin County, on December 9, 1849, and lived in North Carolina during
the Civil War. When he was nineteen, however, he struck out into the world, leaving
the ancestral home for Missouri, where he already had a brother, who was doing well.
The head of the family was Dr. Nathan Bright Dozier, who for thirty-five years prac-
ticed medicine at Booneville; he had been married in Yadkin County, the same state,
to Miss Olive C. Vestal, so that both father and mother were born, married and died
in North Carolina. They had fourteen children, and among them Thomas was the
fifth in the order of birth. Grandfather Dozier, who became a substantial planter,
migrated from Old England, and in doing so brought with him, for his posterity, some
of the best blood inheritable.

Our subject arrived in Missouri in the fall of 1870 and at once hired out to work on
a farm in Piatt County, .\fter a year, he went on to Boone County, Ark., and thence
went up to Hardin County. Iowa, where he was married to Miss Nancy C. Reese, on
February 12, 1873. She had been born in the same county in North Carolina, on July
29. 1851, the daughter of Martin and Sarah Ann (Woodruff) Reese, and had attended



612 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

the same school where Mr. Dozier studied. After their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Dozier
farmed in Hardin County, Iowa, for thirteen years, and thence they moved to Sumner
County, Kans., where they remained for a couple of years. And from Kansas they
came to California during the great boom in 1887.

Settling in Whittier with his wife, Mr. Dozier broke the first ground for the first
five-acre orchard ever planted in Whittier. It was owned by Strowbridge and Wiggins
— Frank Wiggins, who was then, as now, a leading spirit, and is now the secretary of
the Chamber of Commerce of Los Angeles. After a year and a half, the Doziers
moved over to the \'illa Park District, then Los Angeles County and there bought
twelve acres of land; and for a generation, or twenty-one years, they continued to
reside in and work for the development of Villa Park. For the past eleven years they
have lived in the city of Orange. They helped start the McPherson Heights Orange
Growers Association, and worked hard for good roads and prohibition, as well as city
sewers and other needed and not always easily-obtained improvements. They joined
the Friends Church at El Modena, and also the Orange County Farmers Mutual Insur-
ance Company. He was much interested in the formation of the new county of Orange,
and was on the election board when it was voted.

Four children have been granted this worthy couple who have always endeavored,
as in matters of popular education, to advance the interests of childhood generally.
The eldest, Melvin Bright, died in Iowa when he was eighteen months old: Ray Syl-
vester is a walnut grower at Walnut Center, near Puente; Martin Edward is manager
of the Orange packing house at Garden Grove; and Ernest Leland is an orange grower
and resides on South Tustin Street, Orange. Orange County has prospered through
just such pioneers as Mr. and Mrs. Dozier, who may well be regarded as having helped
to lay the cornerstone of the new republic along the Pacific. At present Mr. Dozier
is devoting himself to real estate, with an office at his residence; and his known expe-
rience, good judgment and honesty easily make him a desirable agent for those who
wish to invest securely and for the future.

MRS. SARAH AMANDA WATSON.— The romantically successful career of a
long-honored California pioneer is recalled in the interesting family history of Mrs.
Sarah .Amanda Watson, widow of the late David Watson, an early sheepman and citrus
grower, and for years one of the leading merchants of Olive. He was born in Mis-
souri on November 29, 1846, a son of Henry and Tilda Watson, who were married in
Missouri and came to California with their family in 1849, when David was only three
years old. Of English, historic ancestry, Henry Watson was born in Virginia in 1812.
and in his younger years had settled in Missouri with his wife, whose family name
was Cox. The call of California, however, due to the discovery of gold, so affected
them that they abandoned their comfortable Jackson County home and in company
with thousands of other emigrants, hurried across the great plains. They tarried for
a while where they first landed, in Sacramento, and then went to Dry Creek, near
Marysville, where Mr. Watson had a hotel, at the same time that he engaged exten-
sively in freighting. After a while, he sold out his interests there, and lived suc-
cessively at San Jose, Watsonville, and Visalia, and he was also interested in the sheep
business, in the San Joaquin Valley. For a while, too, he ran a grist mill. In 1869
he came to what is now Olive and became the largest landowner' here, buying a part of
the Rancho Santa Ana de Santiago, the property of the Peraltas.

David Watson also became a large landowner. His first marriage made him the
devoted husband of Mary Ann Field, who died in 1874. leaving him three children:
Louis, who is at home with Mrs. Watson; Nealy. the rancher, who is married and lives
near Olive; and his twin sister. Minnie, now the wife of Chris Loptien, who resides at
Delano. Mr. Watson was married a second time in Santa Ana, in 1875, to Miss Sarah
Amanda Stewart, a native of Chattanooga, Tenn., who was taken by her parents to
Arkansas when she was two years old. and there lived until her fourteenth year. Then
she went to Texas, and there grew to young womanhood, being nineteen years old when
she came to what is now Olive, then called the Bull Well Point. There was then
nothing at Orange, and nothing worth while at Santa Ana. After their marriage, Mr.
and Mrs. Watson settled on their ranch at Olive, and Mrs. Watson brought up her
three stepchildren.

.'\s has been said, in early days, David Watson was a sheepman; and keeping thou-
sands of sheep, he had a full complement of herders, cooks and other employes. When
he disposed of his sheep, he bought a grocery store, which he managed for twenty
years. He also became the owner of a grain farm of 300 acres. When he died, he
owned the twenty-four-acre ranch at Olive, and also 160 acres near Newhall, Los
Angeles County. On this ranch of twenty-four acres, Mr. Watson died on October 17,
1919, after an illness of about four years. He was a member of the Christian Church
at Orange, and was interred in the new cemetery south of town.



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 615

Mrs. Watson, who also owns a ranch of eight acres near Olive, is a daughter of
John and Eliza (Wood) Stewart, both of whom were natives of and married in Georgia.
Her father was a school teacher, and died when she was a baby, followed to the grave
soon after by her mother. They left four children. She was brought up by her grand-
mother, Agnes Wood of Georgia, who passed away when our subject was twelve years
of age. Sarah Stewart then went to live with her oldest sister, who was married and
resided in Texas; and from the Lone Star State, she came with her brother, Robert
Stewart, now the rancher at Stockton, to Southern California, in June, 1869. Mrs.
Watson, like her husband, is also a member of the Christian Church. In many ways.
her lines have since fallen in pleasant places; and today Mrs. Watson enjoys the
esteem and good will of a large number of admiring friends.

MR. AND MRS. SAMUEL ARMOR.— A native of the state of New York, Samuel
.Armor was born near Moriah, Esse.x County, March 20, 1843. He remained with his
father's family until he was eighteen, working on the farm in summer and going to
school in the winter, wherever the family might be. In the fall of 1854 the family
moved to Le Claire, Iowa, where they remained about eighteen months. From there
the .Armors went to Sheffield, 111., to stay another eighteen months. They then went
to Lucas County, Iowa, where they remained until the family gradually broke up during
the early years of the Civil War.

The subject of this sketch left home about the year 1861 and went to Illinois, where
he found farm work south of Galva in the summer, going to school each winter. In
1863 he went with half a dozen young men to St. Louis to join the army; but the other
young men backed out, so all returned home. He then entered the C class of the
Kewanee (111.) high school and continued with that class until the spring of 1865, when



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 71 of 191)