Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 73 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 73 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Villa Park. He is a member of the Villa Park Orchard Association, and the Central
Lemon Association.

On January 20, 1887, Mr. Boring was married, at Orange, to Miss Belle D. Hall, a
native of Richland County. 111. Two children have blessed this union; one is living
Ronald A. Boring, who is attending the Orange Union high school. Mr. Boring was
school trustee of Orange for many years, and also clerk of the board. He was, besides,
city trustee for four years, and chairman of the finance committee; he was a member of
the board when the sewers were being built, and when the paving of streets was first
undertaken. A true-blue Republican, Mr. Boring was more than once a delegate to
conventions in the days before the primaries.

Mr. Boring was made a Mason in Orange Grove Lodge No. 293, F. & A. M., and
was exalted to the royal arch degree in Orange Grove Chapter No. 99, R. A. M., and
he was knighted in Santa Ana Commandery No. 36, Knights Templar. He is a member
of Al Malaikah Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S., in Los Angeles, and he is a member of
the Odd Fellows Lodge in Orange and with his wife he is a member of Scepter Chap-
ter No. 163, Order Eastern Star, and Mrs. Boring is also a member of the Woman's
Club of Orange. They are charter members of the Christian Church, in which Mr.
Boring was a trustee for many years. In addition to being active in all the business
associations in Orange, Mr. Boring has long participated in civic endeavors and in
every good movement for the welfare of the community.

DANIEL F. ROYER, M. D. — An eminent physician more than distinguished for
both his scientific and technical ability and his uprightness of character, is Dr. Daniel
F. Royer, now one of the leading and most popular citizens of Orange. He was born
at Waynesboro in the Cumberland \"alley. Pa., and after sound schooling, was graduated
from Carlisle College in Pennsylvania, after which he entered the State Normal School
and completed the full course. Then he matriculated in the Jefferson Medical College
of Philadelphia, one of the foremost schools of medicine in the world, and having grad-
uated from this institution with high honors, he entered with a fine scientific foundation
upon a year of practical work in a large city hospital. This experience, so many-sided
in its nature, proved invaluable to him, and when he was ready to attempt private prac-
tice, he did so as a skillful surgeon and a highly-trained professional man.

Dr. Royer located for a while in Alpena, S. D., and soon attained an exceptionally
prominent position in the field of medicine, while filling with honor and credit important
public offices. He was for some time U. S. pension agent there, and for many years
represented the Government in a similar capacity here. He was U. S. Indian agent at
Pine Ridge during the stirring days when Sitting Bull had the populace of that entire
section so alarmed, and during the fatal conflict w'ith the two Indian chiefs. Dr. Royer
fulfilled every duty in just such a manner as those personally acquainted with him
might expect. He was also city treasurer of Alpena for six years, and served on the
board of education for nine years. He was a member of the Dakota legislature during
the two terms previous to the division of the Dakotas, and was a leader on the floor,
and was speaker pro tem for several weeks during the absence of the speaker. As a
registered pharmacist, he was one of the state board of pharmacy examiners and a
member of various medical associations.

Dr. Royer came to Southern California on Christmas Day, 1896, and intended to
establish himself in Los Angeles. In looking over some property he owned west of
Orange, however, he carefully inspected the entire locality and decided to cast his lot
here. The prospects for growth and development were very apparent, and he decided
to make Orange his future home. He has been identified with the advancement of the
city from the outset, and has participated in many of the movements which led the
community to establish municipal undertakings of great necessity and importance. He
was a member of the board of trustees of Orange for six years, and was mayor for one
of the terms. There, as at other times and places, he exerted his best efforts for the
good of the community, and in spite of his extensive medical practice, he devoted
considerable time to the duties of his public offices.

Dr. Royer has met with pronounced success in Orange in the practice of his pro-
fession, and his strong personality, intensive application to everything he undertakes,
and careful, conscientious regard for all things pertaining to the responsibilities of his
calling, have called forth a responsive note in the public mind, and he is held in the
highest esteem both by his fellow citizens and his fellow practitioners — a circumstance
amply demonstrated in innumerable ways. Dr. Royer is a member of the County




^^C^TTSc^y.^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 629

Medical Association, the State Medical Society, the American Medical Association, the
Southern California Medical Association, and the Pacific Coast Railway Surgeons'
Association, and is the local surgeon for the Santa Fe, the Southern Pacific and the
Pacific Electric railroads.

During the World War, Dr. Royer was a member of the local exemption board
for District No. 1, of Orange County, which examined nearly 6,000 men, and gave freely
of his time and services. He is a Knights Templar Mason and Shriner, as well as
an Elk and an Odd Fellow, and enjoys in the circle of each of these well-known
fraternities an enviable and deserved popularity.

THEODORE E. SCHMIDT.— A singularly appropriate analogy between the past
and present is suggested by the fact that Theodore E. Schmidt spent his well-earned
retirement in .Anaheim, for in the very early days of the city's immaturity he was a
prophet of wise foresight, and even suggested the name of the city. As his name im-
plies Mr. Schmidt was of German ancestry, and in liis native town of Bielefeldt he was
educated in the pul)lic schools, and at a comparatively early age embarked in the dry
goods business. This business experience was supplemented by extensive travel in
different parts of Europe, principally in France and Spain, after which he enlisted in
the German army as a private in the Fifteenth Infantry of Fusileers and for meritorious
service was advanced to the rank of lieutenant. After an honorable discharge he came
to .\merica in 1848, and in the latter part of the same year he started out to cross
Texas and Me.xico, and at Mazatlan boarded a French sailing vessel which eventually
anchored at San Francisco, the entire journey having consumed about seven months.
-\s a means of livelihood he went to work in a brickyard, and afterwards became the
proprietor of a bakery establishment which he conducted for two years. Later he
engaged in the dry goods business. Meantime he became one of the chief promoters
of the Los Angeles Vineyard Company, of which he was the first president and leading
director. The company bought the tract of land upon which Anaheim is built, and
as before stated, the name of the embryo town was the suggestion of Mr. Schmidt.
In 1860 he located here and engaged in horticulture upon forty acres of land, and con-
tinued with fair success until 1871. A desire to visit the land of his birth was the
natural outgrowth of his success, and he therefore spent about a year in W'estphalia,
and upon returning to New York was accompanied by his brother. In New York City
he started a wholesale wine business, his chief object being the marketing of the Ana-
heim wines, but his stock also included other Ijrands. From a comparatively modest
lieginning at the foot of Broadway, on Bowling Green, he was obliged with the increase
of trade to remove to more commodious quarters on Warren Street, where, under the
firm name of James M. Bell & Company, he managed a thoroughly successful venture
for many years.

In 1893 Mr. Schmidt disposed of his New York wine interests and removed to
\ incl.uid. N. J., where he purchased fifty-two acres of land and engaged in horticulture.
This jiroperty he retained and owned until his death, but in 1899 he returned to .Anaheim,
Cal.. and here he lived retired until his demise in 1911. He was married in San Fran-
cisco in 1859 to Clementine Zimmerman born in New Orleans, La., who came to Cali-
fornia with her parents in pioneer days; she died while on a visit to San Francisco
on Octolier 8. 1913. They had five children, two boys and three girls, and two are
living: Mrs. Clementine Turck of .\naheim and Mrs. J. H. BuUard of Los .\ngeles.
It is an interesting fact that the south twenty acres of his original purchase is built up
for business houses and residences, while the north twenty acres has Ijeen kept intact
l)y the family until now the city has voted bonds to take it over for a city park, and a
most lieautiful location it is.

RAY C. LAMBERT.— .\ young man who has well fulfilled the Latin motto, -Seize
the day," and has so improved his opportunities that he has succeeded beyond his most
sanguine expectations, making good as a citrus grower who thoroughly understands
tlie attractive industry and renders it still more attractive liy his scientific methods of
operation, is Ray C. Lambert who leases and cultivates a valuable part of the Irvine
ranch. He is a son of Charles C. Lambert, the pioneer of Tustin still living and
retired, a native of Iowa who came to California as a young man and set himself up
in business as a grading contractor. Among the extensive contracts undertaken by
him was the grading for the Salt Lake and Santa Fe railroads in Los .\ngeles. Later,
he joined the Fourth Street Meat Market in Santa .\na and helped build up its trade.
He married Miss .\melia Hadley. who died in 1904, leaving four children: Everett
Clayton, who patriotically served his country on board the Oregon, passed away in
1904, in Japan, a victim of pleuro-pneumonia — a favorite with his sailor-fellows and with
all the officers, as well; Ray C. Lamliert is the subject of our review, and he is assisted
by his brother. Charles C, Jr.: Gertrude .Amelia lives in Los .Kngelcs.



630 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

Ray attended the public schools at Tustin and put in a couple of years at the
Santa Ana high school. Then he engaged in the nursery business at Tustin until he
came to his present place on the Irvine ranch, in 1913, having secured an optional lease
on 160 acres and immediately began the work of developing water, which he found he
could have in abundance by sinking two wells 300 feet deep. He began with one
well, and now both are pumped by two engines of twenty-five horsepower each, giving
him over 100 inches of water which is more than ample to irrigate his entire holding.

Mr. Lambert made an agreement with Mr. Irvine by which, after a number of
years of successful operation, he becomes the owner of half of the ranch he is now
tenanting, and in the spring of 1914 began to plant Valencia orange trees. This work
he continued through 1915 and 1916, and in the latter year he also set out lemon trees.
He also installed a cement pipe line system, all the pipe being made on the place. The
orchard has been interplanted with lima beans; and as he has been able to carry out
his contract with Mr. Irvine to the letter the orchards having the required elevation,
thus placing them in a thermal belt where it is practically frostless, and with the
deep loam sediment soil he is, especially as a young man, very comfortably situated.

On August 10, 1915, Mr. Lambert was married at Santa Ana to Miss Clara Wells,
a daughter of George \V. and Clara (Stearns) Wells. He was a native of Illinois, and
she a native of New York state, and they were married in Kansas and came to Cali-
fornia in 1901. They settled at Santa Ana and are now living in the Yorba Linda
district. Miss Wells attended the public schools at Santa Ana, and later was a student
in the exclusive school for young ladies, Huntington Hall in Los Angeles. One child
has blessed this union, Barbara Amelia. Mr. and Mrs. Lambert are prominent members
of the First Presbyterian Church at Santa Ana, and Mr. Lambert is valued as a stand-
patter in the Republican ranks. In 1916, Mr. Lambert built a handsome residence, at
a cost of $15,000 dollars, on an elevation, among the foothills at the east of the Irvine
ranch, and from his home, on a clear day, one can obtain an inspiring view of San
Pedro and the blue Pacific twenty-five miles away, as well as an enchanting vista of
the wide-spreading, picturesque Irvine ranch. Having thus succeeded to such an ex-
ceptional degree during these few early years of his activity, Mr. Lambert gives promise
of far greater things in the immediate future; and it is this capital in men and women of
capacity for accomplishment which makes California truly a "Golden State."

DOMINGO ERRAMUSPE.— A native son of the Golden West, whose rise amid
the inspiring and favoring conditions of agricultural life in Southern California has
given him a level business head, is Domingo Erramuspe, one of the bonanza farmers
operating a trim ranch of his own fortunately situated between the Moulton and
the Irvine or San Joaquin ranches, and believed to be valuable oil land. He was born
in Los Angeles on September 3, 1877, the son of John Erramuspe, one of the early
landowners south of Santa Ana, who came from the Basses-Pyrenees country in
France, and brought with him a devoted wife, who was Miss Grace Etcheverria, a
native of Navarra, Spain. After they were married in the old country, they migrated
to South America, where Mr. Erramuspe had two brothers, and for five or six years
they remained south of the Equator, speculating and trying various ventures, before
they came northward to California in 1870. Here, on the old O'Neill Ranch, east of
Capistrano, he ran 20,000 sheep for Louis Lartiga. Two children were born to these
parents, who have been dead now for the last ten years; the elder, Domingo, the
subject of our instructive sketch, and Bernardo, who resides at San Jacinto and is en-
gaged in ranching.

Domingo grew up around Santa Ana, and there, in 1911, he was married to Miss
Marie Etcheverria, a native of Navarra, Spain, a woman with just those accomplish-
ments needed for the happy domestic life of a well-equipped ranch, and one who has
entered heartily into all of her husband's ambitious plans. Two children came to
cheer them further, Grace and Dominique. In 1915, Mr. Erramuspe had his comfort-
able home built, a pretty two-story dwelling, with all modern improvements. In
national political affairs preferring the platform of the Republicans, Mr. Erramuspe
is a good mixer, a good booster, and supports well-endorsed local projects without
any political or religious bias whatever.

At present Mr. Erramuspe is cultivating 168 acres absolutely in his own right,
while he also leases and farms 700 acres of the Moulton Ranch, and 500 of the Whit-
ney, and 350 acres of the O'Neill ranches, or nearly 1,700 acres in all. Fourteen
hundred acres of this are under the plow. Drilling for oil will soon begin on his
home place, and there are indications that the flow of the precious liquid will be ample
when once the source has been struck. He uses four eight-mule teams and has a
sixty horsepower Holt Caterpillar tractor for motor power, and farms strictly accord-
ing to the most scientific methods, getting assured, superior results.







^^^^L ^^IF^ ^^^H


^


^^^^i^_^ ^^^^^^^^^^^1


1




HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 633

EARL G. GLENN. — A pioneer resident of Santa Ana who has been privileged
to see much of the town develop, and a popular social favorite who has been closely
identified with fraternal lodge life and the activities of the local fire department, is
Earl G. Glenn, the efficient U. S. mail carrier, who was born in Springville, Iowa, on
May 21, 1870. His father, Frank Glenn, moved to St. Paul, Minn., in 1878, and lived
in that city for six years as the auditor of the St. Paul, Minneapolis and Manitoba
Railroad. He had married Katherine Wynans, and in 1884 they removed to Iowa,
going back to Springville. Three years later, in the great "boom" year, they came out
to California, but it was not until 1888 that Earl Glenn, who wished to complete his
schooling, followed them to the Golden State and the "promised land." His success,
with a foundation of education acquired in the St. Paul high school and the junior
college at Springville. a high standard of character, and a genial, winning person-
ality, has made him feel that the promises California then held forth she has since
quite made good.

In 1888, then, Mr. Glenn came to Santa Ana, and for a year, under Rev. A. T.
McDill he worked as a printer on the Santa .-\ua Herald, putting in the next year on
the same paper with Messrs. Shaw and Wallace. When he left them, he was employed
on the Morning Blade; and when that was made an evening paper, he became fore-
man of the job printing department. In 1895 he quit printing altogether, and then
he became an employe of J. -\. Hankey in the bicycle trade. He was a racing rider,
and in 1897 established the record that still stands as the best local effort in Orange
County today: he rode twelve and a half miles on a dirt course in thirty minutes and
thirty-one seconds.

Mr. Glenn was a charter member of the Santa Ana National Guards in 1890, and
reenlisted in 1899, and spent two years in the Philippines, where he saw spirited action
in eleven engagements. In 1901 he was honorably discharged. On his return he spent
another year with Mr. Hankey in the bicycle business. The next yea-r, however. Uncle
Sam laid hold of Mr. Glenn as the most desirable candidate for mail carrier service in
Santa Ana. and he has been serving the public in that capacity ever since, to the joy
of the public and the satisfaction of his colleagues.

On April 8, 1903, Mr. Glenn was married to Miss Nina Mansur, a daughter of
Carlos F. and Columbia L. Mansur, and a native daughter proud of her association
with California, where she was born at Camptonville, in Yuba County, in December,
1870. Carlos F. Mansur was a pioneer of Santa Ana, coming here first in 1876, and
locating here permanently in 1881. He was born in Barnston, Canada, July 8. 1840,
where he was reared until he was seventeen, when he migrated to Randolph Center,
Wis. He was married there on September 8, 1861, to Columbia L. Gale, born in
Goshen, \'t.. October 16, 1843. The day after his marriage Mr. Mansur enlisted in
the Eighth Wisconsin Regiment, serving until the close of the Civil War. After the
close of the war he returned to Canada, but in 1867 came to California, via the Isthmus
of Panama, locating at Camptonville. where he engaged in the dry goods business
and was postmaster. In 1876 he made his first trip to Santa Ana, coming here to
make his home in 1881. For a time he was manager of an orange packing house.
He was one of the organizers of the Orange County Savings Bank and was its
cashier for many years, until he resigned about 1902 and retired from active life,
making his home in Santa Ana until his death in 1915, Mrs. Mansur having passed
away in 1912. Mr. and Mrs. Mansur were the parents of six children: Ozro is
the secretary of the Santa .\na Valley Irrigation Company; Fred is secretary of
the Orange County Title Company; Nina is the wife of Earl Glenn of this review;
Albert lives in Los .Angeles; Lelia is Mrs. Talbott of Brooklyn. Iowa; Carl makes home
in Los -Angeles. .Active in the formation of Orange County. Mr. Mansur was the
first county treasurer, serving two terms. A stanch Republican, he was prominent
in the ranks of the G. A. R.. and was commander of Sedgwick Post, Santa Ana.
In fraternal circles he was affiliated with the Masons, being a member of the Blue
Lodge and past high priest of the Chapter. He was also a member of the Elks.

Mrs. Glenn was sent to the Santa .Ana public schools, and was graduated with
honors from the high school of this city. She belongs to the Baptist Church. Two
children have blessed the union of Mr. and Mrs. Glenn: Margaret is the older, and
then there is Frederick, and they are both pupils of the .grade schools.

Mr. Glenn has been active as past master in Santa Ana Lodge No. 241. F. &
A. M., and past chancellor in the Knights of Pythias; and he is also a member of
the Elks and the Redmen of Santa .Ana. He has belonged to the Santa .\na Band,
and has the longest continuous service in the Santa Ana Volunteer Fire Department,
having Ijeen identified with that organization for the past twenty-four and a half
years, or through the period when it ceased to be a volunteer department and was
made a city fire department. \\'ith his wife, he belongs to the Eastern Star.



634 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

During the recent war, Mr. and Mrs. Glenn supported vigorously the cam-
paign of the Government in the various drives, and they both participated in practically
all of the war activities. In 1905 Mr. Glenn purchased their home place at 1803
North Broadway, where he has lived with his family for the past fifteen years, and
he also came to own four lots closer in on Broadway. So early did they pitch their
tent on North Broadway that they camped there, so to speak, when there were only
a few other houses that far out.

LEWIS TUTTLE WELLS.— A splendid example of what a man may do who

intelligently, honorably and persistently battles against adversity, is afforded by Lewis
Tuttle Wells, the well-known and influential rancher in the Talbert district of Orange
County. He was born in Lincklaen, Chenango County, N. Y., on October 20. 1852,
the soh of John R. Wefls, a New York State farmer who was a native of Rhode Island.
He had married Cordelia E. Sanders, who w^as born in New York and was a near
relation of Professor Sanders, once so well known as the author of Sanders Union
Series of text-books. Elisha Wells, our subject's grandfather, was born in England
and settled in Rhode Island, and there, too, he was married.

Lewis Wells grew up in New York State, but as his parents were poor, he had a
hard time acquiring an education. Until he was eighteen, he enjoyed but three months
a year of schooling; and during the two years, from his eighteenth to his twentieth
year, when he stayed at home, he went to the De Ruyter Institute, when harvesting was
over, and there made such progress that he was able to pass the required examinations
and secure a second-gfade teachers' certificate. He taught in Chenango County the
next winter, and the next year was able to go to the State Normal at Cortland, N. Y.
He then took an examination successfully for the first-grade teachers' certificate, taught
again, and went to school, besides; and while again engaged in teaching, took the
next important step of his life.

When he was twenty-four, at Brookfield, Madison County, N. Y.. he was married
to Miss Jane E. Silliman, of that place; after which he taught for another year. Then
he removed to Rooks County. Kans., where he farmed for eighteen years. The results
were, all in all, very satisfactory until the fifth year when a disastrous hail storm and
cyclone destroyed all the crops; and he had to return to teaching, to keep from
starving. He taught for four years, and in the meantime his wife died, leaving him
with four children. Two of these went to his own school and were taught by him
in Kansas. In 1891-92 he had a large wheat crop but only received thirty-five cents
a bushel for it.

Mr. Wells sold out in 1897 and came to California, stopping for a while at Los
Angeles, where he worked at whatever he could best find to do. Then he came to
Artesia and rented a ranch of ten acres. About that time he heard of the peat-land
district at Smeltzer. in Orange County, and going there, he bought and sold fruit and
vegetables for a couple of seasons. After that, he came to Talbert.

Getting acquainted with W. T. Newland, he rented sixty acres from him for three
vears. He cleared the land, but during the first two years made nothing; the third
year he had the land in such shape that he put twenty acres into sugar beets and the
balance in corn and cabbage, and cleared about $1,000 above expenses. He then
bought forty acres, his present place — a fortunate purchase — and two years ago, bought
another forty acres, so that he now owns two ranches of forty acres each, excellent
land, both in the Talbert district. He resides upon one of these, and one of his sons
lives upon the other, the last purchased, which is at Talbert Station. He also owns
five houses in Huntington Beach, and also six lots there. He raises two crops a year



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 73 of 191)