Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 74 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 74 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


on his land — a crop of barley and a crop of corn. His ranch is very productive and
raised pumpkins of monster size, in fact, so large a man alone could not lift one; also
raised a sweet potato weighing eighteen and three-quarter pounds, and it, with the
monster pumpkin, was sent to the Louisiana Purchase Exposition at St. Louis and
placed with the Orange County exhibit. For many years lie raised celery and was very
successful; in one year his two-thirds shares from nine acres realized him $1,860; how-
ever, of late he raises sugar beets and lima beans. Many years ago he also set out an
orchard of apples, peaches, pears and plums which he finds very profitable, and his
hard, intelligent labor has brought him success. He donates two and a half acres of
his ranch for a government experiment station. Since oil was struck at Huntington
Beach, he has leased for oil.

Mr. Wells was married a second time, in 1910 in Orange County, to Mrs. Maude
(Shanklin) Perry, a native of Kentucky, who had married Harvey Perry. She had two
children by him — Lorina, who married Berry Slice, the butcher at Santa Ana, and
Eugene, who is in the U. S. Navy on the battleship New Mexico; and her union with
Mr. Wells has been blessed with two other children — Lavaughn and L. T. Wells, Jr.



HISTORY OF ORAXC.E COUXTY 637

Mr. Wells' children by his first wife are: Lena, who is the wife of George Gilbert.
a rancher in Kansas, is the mother of two children; .\rthur, another rancher in
Kansas, who is married and has five children, and owns 320 acres of land; Seabury.
who married Helen Huffman of Kansas, and resides with her and his two children on
one of Mr. Wells' ranches; and Gertrude, the wife of Clyde Gilbert, the rancher at
Talbert, who has five children. Mr. Wells is a member of the Knights of Pythias at
Huntington Beach, and also of the Odd Fellows there.

REUBEN A. ADAMS, M. D.— The passing of a physician of such high rank in
the history of American medicine as the late Dr. Reuben A. Adams, and an influential
leader in the Grand Army of the Republic, deserves more than ordinary mention; for
such men, in more senses than one. have become both pillars and founders of the
Union. He came of a noted New England family, and was l)orn at Marion, N. ¥., on
April 3, 1841, where he spent his boyhood, attended the local public schools and
graduated from the Marion Collegiate Institute. From boyhood he was intensely
patriotic; and when the Civil War threatened to destroy the Federal Government, he
enlisted, in August, 1862, in Company D, One Hundred Sixtieth Regiment New York
Volunteers, and went to New Orleans with General Banks' e.xpedition, serving under
him throughout the Louisiana campaign. He was present at the siege of Port Hudson,
and later fought under General Sheridan in his engagements in the Shenandoah Valley,
participating actively, all in all, in fourteen battles. He was twice wounded — the first
time at Fort Bisland, in Louisiana, and the second time at Cedar Creek, Va., and
carried the scars the remainder of his life. When he was mustered out of service at
the close of the war. Dr. Adams received the exceptional honor of a letter of com-
mendation signed by every surviving officer of his regiment. This he prized even
far more than the rare and costly presents and thanks from the imperial household
of Japan, for service to a prince and officer of the Japanese army and navy, whom he
came to know when the foreigner was in distress.

On returning from his arduous service in the Civil War, Mr. Adams took up his
studies at the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania, and was graduated from
the Hahnemann College of Philadelphia on March 4, 1868. In July of that year he lost
no time to establish himself at Churchville, N. Y., where he successfully practiced
medicine until May, 1873. Then, ambitious for a field with greater possibilities, h^
removed to Rochester, N. Y., where he soon took rank with the most prominent physi-
cians of the day. His ability as Ijoth a physician and a surgeon was recognized in his
appointment, in 1874, as the city medical officer, and in assuming that responsibility he
liecame one of the first homeopathic physicians to occupy that position.

Dr. Adams also served as president of the Monroe County Homeopathic Medical
Society, vice-president of the Rochester Hahnemann Society, and also vice-president
of the New York State Homeopathic Medical Society. He was a member of the New
York Homeopathic Medical Society, and of the .American Institute of Homeopathy,
and was consulting physician on the staff of the Rochester Homeopathic Hospital from
its incorporation in 1887.

His voluntary and strenuous participation in the War for the Union naturally Ud
Dr. Adams to cherish fondly all the associations of that awful coiillict, and as a mcmlier
of the George H. Thomas Post, G. A. R., he was proud to have taken part in the
original presentation of a United States flag to each of the thirty-five schools of
Rochester, thus starting a patriotic movement that has extended pretty generally
throughout the United States. He was fond of fraternal life, was a thirty-second
degree Mason and a Shriner.

Besides working long, aggressively and conscientiously for the advancement of
homeopathy, Dr. Adams was twice unanimously elected medical director of the De-
partment of New York, of the Grand Army of the Republic, and at the forty-ninth
annual encampment, held in Washington, in Septemlier, 1915, he was unanimously
elected surgeon general of the Grand .Army. He also found time to direct the general
management of a large grain farm in North Dakota, and orange groves and English
walnut orchards in Southern California. He first came to Orange in the late eighties,
at the height of the great realty "boom"; and while others could not see beyond their
face and therefore failed, he looked deeper and further into the future, and invested in
both country and city property, even developing the same at an initiatory loss. He
left two sons, John Adams, of Orange. Cal.. and Sidney I. Adams of Rochester. N. Y.;
two brothers. Dr. Myron H. Adams and Seth Adams; and two sisters, Mrs. Louise
Snyder and Mrs. Helen Gilbert of Marion, and a grand-daughter, Elizabeth Fiske
Adams, of Rochester. When he died, in his seventy-seventh year, he breathed his last
at his Rochester home, at No. 3 Upton Park, on December 9. 1918.



638 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

JOHN ADAMS. — An enterprising, successful and influential citizen of Orange
County, who is greatly interested in the development of this favored section of
Southern California and has, therefore, become one of the effective "boosters" of the
region, is John Adams, a native of Rochester, N. Y., and the son of Dr. Reuben A.
Adams, who is mentioned on a preceding page of this work. John was educated in the
grammar and high schools of Rochester, and later commenced the study of medicine
at the medical college; but other matters having absorbed his main attention, he did
not graduate. In 1908, on the contrary, he located at Orange to take active charge
of the management of his father's property, and since then he has continued the im-
portant work of developing the holdings.

The home ranch and also his residence is located on Batavia Street, where he
grows Valencia oranges; while the large ranch is at the corner of North Main Street
and the Santa Fe track, and there he has fifty acres of Valencias and fifty acres of
walnuts. Besides teams he uses two tractors in the operation of the farm; and in all
the departments he applies the most modern methods and the most up-to-date ma-
chinery. He is a member of the Santiago Orange Growers Association, and also a
member, vice-president and director of the Richland Walnut Association.

While at Rochester, Mr. Adams married Miss Dora A. Hooker, a native of New
York, and an accomplished lady who has shared his ambition, his toil and his rewards.
In the same city he was made a Mason, in Genesee Falls Lodge No. 507.

Orange bid high, from the beginning of her history as a county, for just such
go-ahead settlers as John Adams, the w'orthy bearer of a long-honored name; nor did
either the city or the county of Orange bid in vain. The result has been a degree of
prosperity, reflecting the high intelligence of their citizens, highly creditable to the
state called Golden.

CARL G. JORN. — A young man who has been in close touch with the city of
Orange since he first came to California at the age of fifteen and who has materially
aided as well as shared in the prosperity of the fast-developing town, is Carl G. Jorn,
the well-known insurance man. He was born at Chicago. 111., in 1880. the son of
Charles Jorn, who had a real estate, insurance and loan business at the corner of
Twenty-sixth and Wells streets and spent several winters in the Golden State. He
died in Chicago in 1913. He had married Marie Moehlenbrink, who died when Carl
Jorn was four and a half years old. Of this union he is now the only child living.
However, he has a half-brother. John F. Jorn, who is continuing his father's business
in Chicago under the old firm name. Charles Jorn & Company, and his half-sister,
Mrs. Lydia Jaeger, who also resides in Chicago.

Having attended the local parochial school. Carl Jorn was sent to Concordia
College in Milwaukee for a couple of years, but on account of failing health he came
west to California in 189S, and for fourteen months remained at Orange, where he
attended the Orange County Business College at Santa .Ana, the proprietor then being
R. L. Bisby. Then he returned to Chicago and entered the employ of the J. K. .Armsby
Company, having a good position in their main office. That fall his health failed again
and he came West once more, .settling again in Orange, and resumed his studies at
the business college, and during this time was secretary to R. L. Bisby of that college.
On the completion of the course he spent three months as a stenographer in Los
Angeles, when he again returned East with his father and for six years was with him
in business in his oflice until again the lure of California drew him to the West.

In the spring of 1906, Mr. Jorn journeyed back to Orange, where he started an
insurance business. He also became the agent of the Oliver Typewriter Company, and
■ such was his success and years of service that he became the dean of agents in Southern
California. In 1913 he returned to the East for the summer on account of the illness
of his father, which terminated in his death, but he did not give up his association with
the Pacific commonwealth, in whose bright future he has such unbounded faith. .\s
early as 1909 Mr. Jorn bought the northwest corner of Chapman Avenue and the Plaza,
and with his father erected the original Jorn Building, which he has since materially
enlarged. He carries on an important real estate and insurance business and was once
secretary of the Orange Chamber of Commerce, in which he is still a member. It is
but natural for one so optimistic for the future of the citrus industry and land values
that Mr. Jorn is also interested in horticulture and owns an orange and lemon grove
in the Peralta Hills above Olive. He was also the first secretary of the Associated
Chambers of Commerce of Orange County. He belongs to the Merchants and Manu-
facturers Association, in which he is untiring in his efforts to develop the commercial
interests of the town and county, and as a Republican he is no less tireless in helping
to elevate civic standards.



: ^^












^^^^^^^^^^^^Hb~ -^^K^:' Jlf


ak>- ^^1


.^^^^Kk^^


r^aH^^^^^^^^^^B




^^»^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 641

At Orange, on July 13, 1909, Mr. Jorn was married to Miss Bertha Loescher, a
native of Iowa; she came to California with her father, who located at Orange, and is
now making his home with Mr. and Mrs. Jorn. One child has blessed this union, a
daughter, Mary Louise. Mr. and Mrs. Jorn are active members of the Lutheran Church
of Orange, in which they are both very inHuential. Mr. Jorn is the leader of Circuit B,
District Three, California and Nevada District of the Lutheran Laymen's League, and
in that capacity is in close touch with the different congregations of the circuit from
Santa Barbara to San Diego and from the Coast to the Colorado River. f-Ie also be-
longs to the Lutheran's Men's Club and the Orange Men's Club. Both husband and
wife are intensely interested in the various movements for sociological uplift for the
community and Mr. Jorn is rendering valuable service as a member and clerk of the
library board of the Orange Public Library; in fact, there is no movement for the
building up of Orange and the enhancing of its commercial importance that does not
receive his hearty support.

ALEXIS EVERETT FRYE, A.M., LL.B.— Among the regular summer visitors
at Newport Bay is Alexis Everett Frye, author of the most widely-used text-books in
the world. His winter home is the beautiful "\'illa Cuba," at Kedlands, on the pic-
turesque ridge joining Prospect Park with Smiley Heights. His summer home is the
stately villa known as "Miramar," meaning "Seaview," fronting on the smiling bay at
Newport. As one of his own poems expresses it:

"And for his home the cunning hand

That chisels peak and headland bold.
With chips of sand forms arm of land

'Twixt smiling bay and ocean cold.

"Then bloom of snow-white foam he brings.

To beautify the sculptured rim.
Like brazen sea the Scripture sings.

With flowers of lilies round the brim."

Enthusiastic about our bay, he has personally made the largest collection of
shells ever taken from its waters, and has found several not known to exist here. He
now has ready for the press a little volume of poems, from which the above lines
are taken, revealing the hidden beauty of the sea birds, the dune plants, the sea shells,
the sunsets, the great stone face over the tidal river, and the water sprites, and, of
course, the "mermaids" —

— "the teeming mermaids fair.
That dip and dive, or ride the sea.

With shapely form and streaming hair,
Like Nereids in motion free."

.\nother proof of his abiding interest in the bay is his purchase of the commodious
Engstrom house, the most beautiful on the bay. It is a center of summer life and
activity, especially for children.

Mr. Frye was born at North Haven, Maine, on November 2, 1859, the son of
Captain E. S. Frye, forty-four years a mariner, who sailed from Boston and other
Atlantic ports. Captain Frye is now eighty-eight years old. strong and vigorous, a type
of the hardy men who "go down to the sea in ships." He is one of the oldest stock
of "Fryes of Maine," his forebears having lived there continuously since 1661, when
Adrian Frye settled in Kittery. He is a giant in strength. When going aboard ship
one day, he saw two of his sailors sweating over an anchor they were trying to lift
and carry from the wharf to the deck. One end would go up, and the other down,
then vice versa. Telling one sailor to sit on the crown and the other on the stock,
Captain Frye picked up the outfit, anchor and men, and carried all aboard, placing them
on the deck as lightly as a basket of eggs. He is a lineal descendant of Edward Doten,
who came over in the Mayflower in 1620.

Captain Frye married Jane King, a descendant of six of the Mayflower passengers,
including the famous Brewster and Hopkins. Edward Doten came as an "apprentice"
to the same Stephen Hopkins. He is the Doten who fought the first duel in the
Plymouth colony; and he and his rival, Edward Lester, had to pass a day in the
"stocks," to be jeered at by the shocked Pilgrims. Jane King Frye died in Highlands,
in this state, April 2. 1912. aged seventy-eight years. Four sons and one daughter
were born to the family. One son died in infancy, but the others are living.

While still a boy. .\lexis E. Frye removed with his parents to Quincy. Mass.. and
there completed the grammar school course, and attended Adams .\cademy. During



642 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

a large part of 1875 he was at sea "before the mast" with his father. In 1878 he grad-
uated from the English high school of Boston, receiving one of the medals given for
scholarship from the fund of Benjamin Franklin. Mr. Frye was the first young man
to graduate from the Training School of the famous educator, Francis W. Parker, at
Quincy, Mass. He became greatly attached to Colonel Parker, taught with him in
Quincy, worked with him when supervisor of the schools of Boston, and went with
him to reorganize the Cook County Normal School, now the Chicago Normal School.
He was pleased to be known as Colonel Parker's faithful "Man Frye-day." Mr. Fry-C-
was principal of the model school, and teacher of methods in the normal school. In
recognition of his work he was made an honorary graduate of the western school.
Here he worked from 1883 to 1886.

Returning East Mr. Frye took the law course at Harvard University, adding to his
honors the degree of LL.B., and was admitted to the practice of law in Boston, but he
never availed himself of the privilege, preferring to remain in the educational field
and become a lecturer before teachers' institutes and conventions. He has delivered
upwards of 2.000 lectures upon methods of teaching. This work led to extensive travel
and gave wide acquaintance with the needs of schools in this country. He also found
time to roam widely in Europe, Asia and Africa. Both the lecturing and the travel
proved a natural introduction to his next great undertaking — the writing of the well
known series of geographies which bears his name. It is probably true that his text-
books have outsold every other book in the world, save the Bible. The word "millions"
means little, but if one end of the paper used in printing his books could be tacked
to the Capitol in Washington, and then unroll with a width of the common book page,
the strip would go down to the equator, round the earth, off to the moon (243,000
miles), round the moon, back to earth, again round the equator, and back to the Capitol,
with a remnant of sufficient length to wind round the state of California many times.

For more than a quarter of a century Mr. Frye has written all the text-books on
geography issued by the great firm of Ginn and Company. His first book was on meth-
ods of teaching geography by sand modeling and was called "Child and Nature." This
was in 1888. Three years later came "Brooks and Brook Basins." In 1892 he issued a
work on psychology, which was well received. In 1894 was printed his Primary Geog-
raphy, which proved a record breaker. Then came his large complete geography,
which set a new pace. Mr. Frye's plan was to embody as much of his ideal as the
schools would take, and then write another book as soon as the schools were ready
to move forward with him. This plan gave him the field.

Now came a long series of books. In 1898 the Elements of Geography, and a
Home and School Atlas. The next year the Spanish Geografia Elemental, adopted for
the federal schools of Mexico, as well as Cuba and Porto Rico. In 1902 one of his
text-books was translated into Chinese, and is largely used in mission schools of the
"Flowery Kingdom," now a republic. One of his books was adapted by authority for
use in the schools of Canada. Another was adapted for use in England, by an Oxford
professor. Still another was used as the basis for a book for Norway. There is not
a nation of the civilized globe that has not been influenced in its school work by the
text-books of Mr. Frye. Among the more active of his books at the present time are
the Grammar School Geography, a New Geography (1917), and a Home Geography
Mr. Frye also wrote the first text-book of geography widely used in the Philippines.

In 1899 President McKinley, through Mr. Root, his secretary of war, sent Mr.
Frye to organize and equip the new public school system of Cuba. He wrote the
national school law and the course of study for the island. In 1900 he brought about
1.300 Cuban teachers to Harvard University for study, and then led them on a tour of
the East, landing all safely at home. Mr. Root placed him in charge of five steamships
for the expedition. For this work, and for other work done for the little nation.
Mr. Frye received the Medal of the Legion of Honor of Cuba, and in 1904 and 1906
was made president of the National Teachers' Association of Cuba, perhaps the only
instance of a foreigner being made president of such an association. Besides the
Franklin medal, and the medal of honor mentioned, Mr. Frye was awarded a silver
medal, upon recommendation of William Howard Taft. for his text-book for the Philip-
pines. He also holds the silver cup for the wrestling championship of Harvard Uni-
versity, a gold medal from the teachers of the Province of Santiago, Cuba, and others.
In 'connection with the work in Culja it is of interest to note that Secretary Root,
writing to President Eliot of Harvard, said of the voyage of the Cuban teachers:
"This body of teachers going back to every municipality of Cuba will carry back more
of saving grace for Cuba than the whole power of the (American) government could
accomplish in any other way." .^nd it did.

In 1897 Mr. Frye earned the degree of A.M. from tinie-hnnored Harvard Univer-
sity. During the Spanish War he helped to organize, and at one time was in com-



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 645

mand of, the battalion at Harvard, and captained the graduates' company. In 1898-99 he
was lieutenant of Battery K, the "Boston Tigers," of the First Heavy Artillery, thus
keeping up his connection with military affairs. He has been captain of five
companies, including Company E. California National Guard, .^s head of the school
department in Cuba. Mr. Frye was associated with Generals John R. Brooke, Leonard
Wood, Adna R. Chaffee, Hugh L. Scott, Tasker Bliss, and the late Surgeon-General
Gorgas,,all of whom are among the world's great men.

Mr. Frye has been elected a life member of various societies, including the
.\merican Geographical Society, National Geographic Society, the Harvard Union, the
Society of Mayflower Descendants, and the New England Historic Genealogical
Society. It is needless to say that he is an enthusiastic member of the Newport Yacht
Club. In the early nineties Mr. Frye became a resident of California. He has im-
proved and owned upwards of 300 acres of orange groves, but has sold his groves to
be free to continue his literary work.

WALTER J. COLE. — A rancher who owns a prosperous forty-acre ranch on
Park Avenue between Hansen and the county road, Walter T. Cole is one of the first
settlers in this section of the county. He located here when the ranch was a part of
a 40,000-acre sheep range, with only a very few settlers anywhere near him. The
Spanish heirs claimed to own an interest in the land, which interfered with a clear
title, and consequently stopped the sale of the land for several years. In the course
of time, however, clear titles were given, and the property was bought and sold. Mr.
Cole, as stated above, bought his present acreage in the early days, and began at once
to develop it as he was able. He has from the first conducted a general farming and
dairy ranch, which he has continued up to the present time, l)ut he is now contem-
plating a change to the production of citrus fruit.

Mr. Cole was born in Batavia, New York, in 1859, his parents being Walter and
Sophronia (Blanchard) Cole. Here he spent his youthful days, receiving an educa-
tion in the public schools of his vicinity. When he had reached the age of twenty-
five, he decided to try his fortune in the West, so in 1884 he came to California with
Capt. Arthur J. Hutchinson, who was then a partner of "Lucky" Baldwin, and who
shipped a herd of Devons to this state, paying $600 per car for shipment. Mr. Cole
was with Captain Hutchinson for three years, and through this experience became
well versed in judging and handling cattle on the great Baldwin ranch in Los Angeles
County, which consisted of several thousand acres.

Immediately after settling on his own land, in 1887, Mr. Cole took up the dairy
business, which he has since followed. He was the owner of a fine herd of registered
Jerseys, some of which he occasionally sold for a fancy price. He is a firm believer
in the necessity of raising pure bred stock, and has always been a strong advocate
of that belief. Mr. Cole's parents came to California in 1885, one year after their
son's arrival, and settled on the Baldwin ranch, where they lived for three years, when
they purchased a thirty-acre ranch near what is now Hansen Station on the Pacific



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 74 of 191)