Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 75 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 75 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Electric Railroad. The father entered the dairy business here, and made this home
until his death, in February, 1899. Mrs. Cole still resides there, in her ninety-fifth year.

Walter J. Cole was married on October 1, 1891, to Miss Emma Schneider, the
daughter of Jacob Schneider of Anaheim, who was one of the original members of
San Francisco Company. They have become the parents of six children: Delos is
married and has one daughter, Dorothy; Ethel; Bernice, Mrs. Frank Schacht; X'era.
Mrs. .\lbert Sparks, has two children, Bernice and Maxine; Margaret, the wife of
John Sulli\-an; and Donald. When this locality began to settle up and the necessity
of a local school was seen, Mr. Cole donated an acre of land and helped locate and
establish the Savanna School district, and has served for many years as a trustee.
He was one of those who worked hard to establish Orange as a separate county. As
one of the pioneers of this section, Mr. Cole is held in high esteem in the community
which has been his home for so many years. Comfortably endowed with worldly
goods, the result of honest and diligent labor, he can now enjoy the fruits of his toil.
WILLIAM PANNIER. — A far-seeing, enterprising, effectual builder of Anaheim,
whose success in his own affairs has been due, primarily, to his tenacity of purpose
which led him to stick to his guns when so many settlers, easily discouraged, were
glad to sell out and move away, is William Pannier, who has seen the fellow-rancher
come and go. and, in many cases, bitterly repent when it was too late, the going.
He was born in Prussia in September, 1859, and when six years of age came to Illinois
and settled with his folks, sturdy farmer folk, near Belleville, in June, 1866. There were
four girls and two boys in the family and Mr. and Mrs. Frederick Pannier; and the third
in the order of birth, he is the only one now living, as he was the only one who came
to California.



646 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

He was reared on a farm in the Whiteside Township of St. Clair County, 111., and
attended public school there, while he assisted in the farm work and was initiated
into an industry he followed thereafter. On January 12, 1887, in the midst of the great
"boom," he came to California and Santa Ana, and for a few months was employed
by Mr. Yoch. The next spring he went to Oregon and sought employment in a
logging camp in Clatsop County, after which he worked at harvesting until the rains.
These proved too much for his liking and he came south again to Santa Ana.

For four years he teamed for Mr. Smiley, and when the boom burst he bought
two teams and some implements, and for a year farmed to grain on the San Joaquin
ranch. He next sold his outfit and for a year worked in a lumber yard. After that he
bought forty acres of raw land in the East Anaheim precinct, where he located, built a
home and began improvements, clearing away the cactus and the brush, and at that
time he was the only settler there outside of the city limits. He sank a well and got
good water.

At Anaheim Mr. Pannier was married to Miss Sarah Hasheider, who in 1883 had
come to California with her parents, early settlers of Anaheim, and then he built, a new
home and made still more extensive improvements. He continued to buy land until
he had seventy-six acres, all of which he cleared and leveled. He set out nine acres of
walnuts, forty-five feet apart, from which the owner, in 1919, received $8,400. He also
cleared away twenty acres for the Bissells, and forty acres for the Boeges; and having
sold some, he now owns thirty-five acres in a body on Southeast Street.

For six years Mr. Pannier did general farming, and then he began to set out
oranges. Now he has sixteen acres of Valencia oranges, twelve acres of budded
walnuts, and five acres in lemons. At first he had a gasoline pumping plant; now he
pumps by electrical power. He belongs to the Mutual Orange Distributors Association
of Anaheim, and to the California Walnut Growers Association of Orange.

Six children blessed the union of Mr. and Mrs. Pannier: Milton, who assisted his
father as only a wide-awake, interested son can, was in the World War and served
overseas for seven months; Alice and Ruth are at home, and Howard, Donald and
Charles are in the Anaheim High School, about to graduate. Alice also attended the
University of Southern California and during the World War volunteered her services
in one of the departments in Washington until the armistice, and Ruth took a thorough
course at a leading business college. Mr. Pannier belongs to the Fraternal Union and
the Evangelical Association of Anaheim, where he has been a trustee for fifteen years,
and long a chairman of important committees. In national politics he is a Republican.

DAVID E. COZAD. — A man who has met with a large measure of success in
life. David E. Cozad now enjoys the reward attending sagacious and painstaking effort,
and the adversities he has encountered in toiling along life's pathway have but
served to develop the qualities of frugality, thrift and industry that are inherent traits
received from a long line of American ancestors who have played no unimportant
part in making the nation what it is today.

David E. Cozad was born at Roseville, Warren County, 111., April 27, 1857. His
father, Henry, was a native of New Jersey, and his mother, Mary (Tuttle) Cozad, was
born in Pennsylvania, in which state his parents were married. From Pennsylvania
they journeyed overland in a wagon to Illinois, where the father farmed in Warren
County and worked at carpentering and as a painter. They removed to Iowa when
David was between eight and nine years of age, in 1866, and their life was spent on
the frontier, keeping in advance of the railway building west through Iowa and
Missouri to Nebraska. They lived in many different places and moved often, and
when they located at Long Island, Kans., they were thirty miles in advance of the
railway. David E. is the fourth child in order of birth in the family of nine children,
consisting of one girl and eight boys. The daughter, Elizabeth Hillyard, is a widow and
resides at Santa Ana. Stevenson, of Lincoln, Nebr.; James is a rancher in Buaro
Precinct: William J. is a storekeeper at Westminster; Charles C. is a carpenter and
builder at Santa Ana; Simeon I. clerks in a store at Westminster; Harry W. resides at
Santa Ana, and Arthur, the youngest, is a rancher at Hemet.

Mr. Cozad's educational advantages were limited, owing to their frontier life. His
marriage occurred in 1880, near Seward, Nebr., and united him with Miss Nancy J.
Howard, a native of Lincoln, Nebr., who was educated in the common schools. Her
father, Amos M. Howard, was born in Indiana, and her mother, who was Zerelda Ray
in maidenhood, was born in Missouri, where her parents were married. She and her
brother Titus were the children of her father's first marriage, and they were made
half orphans when Mrs. Cozad was seventeen months old, by the death of her mother.
F'ive children resulted from her father's second marriage, four of whom are living.
Mrs. Cozad's brother, Titus, is a lawyer at Greeley, Nebr., is county attorney, a Repub-




HP HP*





'oAjey



HISTORY OF ORAXGE COUNTY 649

lican of the Forty-ninth District, and still retains his seat in the Nebraska Legislature
to which he was elected. Her father was among the early California gold seekers
and made his first trip to California in 1849.

Mr. and Mrs. Cozad are the parents of seven children, all of whom were born at
Long Island, Kans., except Henry A., the eldest, who was born at Seward, Nebr. He
is one of the employees of the Fresno Building Association and married Miss Montana
Gibson of Los Angeles, and they have two children. Mary Z. is the wife of F'red
Hoffmann of Redondo, an employe of the Standard Oil Company at El Segundo. and
they have one child. Charles T. died in Kansas City at the age of seven. David J. was
accidentally killed in 1905, when nineteen years old, by an electric shock while working
as a lineman at Redondo. Leslie E. died when five days old. Florence is the wife of
Richard Criddle, a rancher at Gridley, Cal., and they have two children. Arthur W.
is a rancher and owns ten acres in Buaro Precinct; he married Ola Oliphant of Kansas,
and they are the parents of one child.

After his marriage Mr. Cozad followed the trade of house painter and decorator
for one year at Seward, Nebr., and in 1882 moved to Kansas, where he homesteadcd 160
acres at Long Island, proved up on it. sold it, and purchased 160 acres of school land
at Long Island. He was principally engaged in farming and raising cattle and swine
before he came to California in the spring of 1901. He lived at Redondo in 1902-3.
where he was employed as a car builder, and came to Buaro Precinct in 1903. where
he purchased forty acres of land, planted twenty acres of it to walnuts and Valencia
oranges and gave twenty acres of it to four of his children. Mr. Cozad has the
American knack of being able to handle tools of almost every kind, and can do
cement work as well as house painting. He and his excellent wife' are kindly and
hospitable, and Mrs. Cozad is a woman of rare good sense and motherly qualities, a
humanitarian in her views and wide-awake to all that is of benefit to the community.
Fraternally Mr. Cozad is a member of the Santa Ana lodge of I. O. O. F., and in his
political views is a consistent Republican, and both he and his wife are members of the
Rebekahs.

EDWARD G. WARE. — A pioneer who deserves the esteem of posterity as well
as his contemporaries was the late Edward G. Ware, the planter and grower of the
first ^'alencia oranges in the Garden Grove section. He was born at South Deerfield,
Mass., in 1846, the son of Samuel and Mary (Chandler) Ware. The former came to
Illinois with his parents when he was twelve years old, and in that state grew to
maturity. Mrs. Samuel Ware was born at South Hadley, Mass., and graduated from
Mt. Holyoke Seminary. She died at Garden Grove in 1908, aged eighty-seven j-ears.

When Mr. Ware came to Garden Grove, it was a grain field. He tried different
kinds of farming, and became much interested in advancing the farming interests here.
He took an active interest in farmers' institutes, and was accurate and well posted, and
often gave talks and prepared dissertations for his fellows. Later, he took up horti-
culture, and devoted his attention to both Navel and \'alencia oranges, and walnuts.
On the ranch at Garden Grove now occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Arthur C. Stanley there
still stands the original "Eureka" walnut tree from which all the "Eureka" nut trees in
Southern California have originated; also the "Prolific" nut. and the Earhart. All
three were propagated and budded here by the late D. C. Dusher, who conducted a
nursery and experimental work that later have proved of so much value to the walnut
growers of the state. The last named was called after Mr. Earhart because of the
fact that he developed the nut that has been such a success for withstanding disease.
Such were Mr. Ware's powers of observation and deduction, that the professor of
horticulture at the State LIniversity called him the best authority on walnuts in
the state of California.

As a grower of X'alencia oranges Mr. Ware was the pioneer in the Garden Grove
section, and enjoyed an enviable local fame. He had prophetic vision, and once said to
the pioneer, Albert J. Chaffee, "My daughter will yet live to see the choicest of \'alencia
oranges in the United States grown here at Garden Grove." In his later years he be-
came interested in poultry, raised white Minorcas, and took the prize at the San Fran-
cisco poultry exhibit at the Pacific Panama Exposition.

He married October 14, 1875, at Batavia. 111.. Mary Johnson, and she passed away
in 1914. She had been interested particularly in temperance work, and served, with
the exception of one year, as secretary of the Garden Grove W. C. T. U. from its
organization until she died. They had one child, Lillian Agnes, now Mrs. Arthur C.
Stanley, a native of Garden Grove and a graduate of the Santa Ana high school. Class
of '97, and Los Angeles Normal School, Class of 1900. She formerly belonged to the
M. E. Church, and is now a member of the Friends' Church, in the Alamitos School
district, and is active in all church and Sunday School work.



650 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

Samuel Ware, the great-grandfather, was a minister in the Congregational Church
and was born at Norwich. Mass., on September S. 1781. He died on August 29, 1866,
in Massachusetts. Henry Ward Beecher boarded with him at Amherst while he was a
theological student. The progenitor of this family was Robert Ware, who was born
in England and came to the Massachusetts Bay Colony some time before the autumn
of 1642. When Edward Ware came to Garden Grove in 1876, from San Erancisco where
he had lived for several years, he purchased his place of forty acres; and at his home,
one mile north of Garden Grove, he died on December 17, 1917, and was buried at
Santa Ana. He had a wide circle of friends, who appreciated him at his real value
and who honored him in death, as they had in life.

HARVEY V. NEWSOM'.— A resident of Garden Grove since 1890, Harvey V.
Newsom has by his industrious and diligent efforts developed a well-kept citrus
,£>Tove of ten acres northeast of Garden Grove, and is also the owner of a ten-acre
grove of young lemons east of his home place. Mr. Newsom was born near Azalia,
Bartholomew County. Ind.. October 18, 1866, and is the son of Alfred J. Newsom,
who died on August 9, 1920, at Garden Grove, being in his seventy-eighth year; the
mother passed away here in 1904. Mr. and Mrs. Alfred 1. Newsom were the parents
of ten children, eight of whom are living, all residents of California: Harvey V., the
su!)ject of this sketch; Benjamin W. is connected with the shipyards at Long Beach;
Luther R. is a rancher near Stanton; Joseph A. is at home; Maggie is the wife of
Orson Moody, a dairyman at Bishop; William C. is a rancher at Rivera; Annis is
the wife of Henry West, an oil man at Fullerton: Willis is a teacher and a rancher, and
resides on his ranch near Garden Grove.

The parents moved from Indiana to Iowa in 1869, remaining there for three
years, and returning to Indiana: from there they went to Kansas, where they resided
for twelve years, coming to California in 1887. They settled at El Modena, and also
lived at Pasadena and Burbank before coming to Garden Grove in 1890. and here
the family home has since been established.

In 1898 Harvey V. Newsom bought his ranch, then consisting of twenty acres,
and began its development, selling ten acres of it in 1906. In 1900 he was united
in marriage with Miss Mina A. Robinson, daughter of the pioneer, Richard Robinson,
whose biography appears elsewhere in this volume. They are the parents of one
daughter, Vesta Marie, a graduate of the Anaheim high school, and now attending
Junior College at Santa Ana. and a son, Stanley O., who died in February, 1911. Mr.
Newsom located on his place before the building of the Pacific Electric Railway. By
dint of hard, painstaking work he has made of his acreage a valuable property and
has erected a fine, new bungalow. He is a member of the Orange Growers Associa-
tion and the Lima Bean Growers Association of Garden Grove, and the Garden
Grove Farm Center. A stanch believer in temperance, he has been an adherent of
the Prohibition party for many years. Mr. and Mrs. Newsom are members of the
Methodist Episcopal Church at Garden Grove, and are highly respected citizens of
the community.

JASPER N. DE VAUL. — A pioneer couple representing, in their historic Ameri-
can ancestry, some of the best of American brain and brawn, are Mr. and Mrs. Jasper
N. De Vaul, who live three-quarters of a mile northeast of Garden Grove. He was
born in Grundy County, near Trenton, Mo., on January 31, 1845. the son of James
R. De Vaul. and the grandson of Daniel P. De Vaul, a veteran of the War of 1812.
The De Vauls were among the first whites to settle at Trenton, having come over-
land from Kentucky to Missouri, and James De Vaul served as a soldier in the
Black Hawk War. Daniel De Vaul joined the Argonauts of '49 and came to Cali-
fornia, where he mined at Placerville; and shifting to San Benito County, then Mon-
terey County, he died there, aged seventy-six. James De Vaul continued in Missouri
and married Miss Sarah Howel; and in 1880 he moved to Oregon, and settled at
Myrtle Point. After lives, respectively, of ninety-three and seventy-eight years, Mr.
and Mrs. De Vaul passed away in their northern home. They had twelve children,
eight boys and four girls, among whom Jasper N. was the fourth in the order of birth.

He attended the little log schoolhouse of his native district, and in 1863, during
the Civil War, served for five months in the state militia. In 1864 he crossed the
plains with an ox-team train, driving a four-mule team, and taking five months for
the iourney. He stopped at Woodbrid.ge, eighteen miles north of Stockton, and there
worked on a ranch. He was married in San Jose to Miss Wary Meadows, and by
her had three children — Nettie, Emma and William. He was married a second time,
in 1880. to Miss Marv Holt, a native of Nova Scotia, and the daughter of J. W. and
Nancy (Peel) Holt. Nova Scotians of English blood. The father went to sea until
he was twenty-five, when he married and took up farming; and in 1868 they came





-777. /3 ^i.<J<^



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUXTY 653

to California with their family, and making the neighborhood of Hollister their head-
<]uarters, they moved around considerably. The father died, at the age of eighty-eight.

Mr. and Mrs. De Vaiil lived for eight years at Lompoc, and their next move
was to Garden Grove, coming there in 1890. They have had five children; Eugene is
field manager for the Anaheim Sugar Company, and married Miss Jessie Hickman of
Bolsa; they have one son, and reside at Santa Ana; Ira is a rancher near Garden
Grove; he married Lulu Chase of Alhambra, and they have one daughter; Oscar died
at Lompoc, seven months old; Eva is the wife of W. F. Winters of Garden Grove,
and they have two children, and lola married Earl Crane, an apiarist, and has one
daughter. Mr. Crane was in England during the war, and had his right arm badly
wounded, and is now a student in the Agricultural College at Davis, Cal. Both Mr.
and Mrs. De Vaul are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Garden Grove,
and are Republicans, and in every loyal way participated in war activities.

Having become the owner of some sixty acres, Mr. De Vaul has farmed the same;
■while Mrs. De Vaul, having inherited twenty-five acres, retains fifteen for farming.
Ten acres are set out to walnuts and two to oranges. They maintain a home that is
a model for comfort and attractiveness, and they dispense, in modest but sincere
fashion, an old-time, warming hospitalit)'.

JOSEPH M. BACKS, JR.— Orange County points with pride to the rank and
file of its public servants, nor need one be surprised in view of the record of such
men as Joseph M. Backs, Jr., the efficient and popular county clerk. A native son,
fortunate in starting life in intimate touch with the great commonwealth whose des-
tinies he has been called upon to shape, he was born at Anaheim on April 17, 1876.
His parents were Joseph and Catherine (Heyermann) Backs, the father being one
of .'Vnaheim's pioneers and prominent in the mercantile life of that city for many
years; the birthplace of the mother was in Mexico, and she later removed to San
Francisco with her father. Dr. .\. F. Heyermann, who was at one time connected with
the German Hospital, and also for many years engaged in the drug business in that city.

Coming to Los Angeles in December, 1869, then a straggling village, bearing Jittle
resemblance to its present metropolitan proportions, Joseph Backs, Sr., for a time
worked at his trade of carpenter and cabinetmaker, and then, with his brother Ferdi-
nand, embarked in the furniture business, conducting the same for a year, when it
was sold. In 1871 the brothers came to Anaheim, where they assisted in furnishing
and equipping the two hotels there, after which they started a business of their own,
under the firm name of F. & J. Backs, this partnership continuing until 1890, when
the business was divided, Joseph Backs continuing in business for himself. He was
a pioneer furniture dealer and the first undertaker and embalmer in Anaheim, and in
this capacity, as well as in a general business way, he was widely known, not only in
Orange County, but in neighboring environs. He continued actively in business until
1914, when he sold out, and now he is living retired at his Anaheim home, his beloved
wife having departed this world in 1918. Mr. and Mrs. Backs were the parents of
seven children: Joseph M., Sophia, Katie M., Frieda, Adolph, Clementina and Edward.
All are living and are residents of Orange County.

The eldest of the family, Joseph M. Backs, Jr., attended the public schools, and
also the Woodbury Business College in Los .Angeles, where he received an excellent
preparation for some of the work he has since been called upon to do. From boyhood
he assisted his father in the business mornings and evenings and during his vacations,
later working for two and a half years for H. .A. Dickel in the general merchandise
business. ,\nother profitable year of good training was spent in the main post office
at Los .Angeles, when it was located at Eighth and Spring streets. Returning to
.Anaheim he entered the employ of the Union Telephone and Telegraph Company,
first as manager for the northern half of Orange County, becoming district manager in
1909, having under his supervision all of Orange County, and maintaining his head-
quarters at Santa Ana. Continuing in this position until 1912, he resigned to become
deputy county clerk under W. B. Williams. At the August Primary in 1918 he was
elected to the office of county clerk for a four-year term, hence, there was no opposing
candidate at the November election, and this office he is now occupying to the greatest
satisfaction of all his constituents.

At Anaheim, April 15, 1903. occurred the marriage of Joseph M. Backs. Jr.. wh^n
he was united with Miss Ella Warner, a native of Minnesota, who came w-ith her
parents to Anaheim in her girlhood, and there it was she received her education and
was one of the popular belles of the place. One child has blessed this union, a
daughter named Edna Inez. Fraternally, Mr. Backs is a member of the Elks, and in
national politics is a Republican. About the time he reached his majority Joseph
Backs. Jr., served as a member of Company E, Seventh Regiment, California National



654 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

Guard, and being fortunate in the inheritance of a strong interest in and love for Cali-
fornia and Orange County transmitted from parents, who are among the most
highly esteemed pioneers of the section, it is little wonder that he loyally responded
and served acceptably as a member of the registration board during the recent war
and was active in all the bond and war drives, and as such sought to do his civic
duty in the highest degree possible.

A splendid type of man, Mr. Backs is faithfully serving the citizens of the
county, and through his affable manner and his readiness to assist anyone deserving
information regarding the office or their affairs in connection with the county, as well
as other investigations they may be making, has so endeared him to the people
that he has become one of the most popular officials. His mind and heart have been
engrossed in the well being of the county, and such has been his success in the solution
of problems that his fellow-citizens more and more have reposed confidence in him.
Liberal and kind hearted, his pleasing personality has attracted hosts of friends, who
appreciate and esteem him for his nobleness of mind and heart. Thus, still in the
prime of life, with apparently many years of usefulness before him, Mr. Backs already
enjoys a prestige and confidence accorded to but few.

JONATHAN HARMON. — Honored among the interesting pioneers of California,
and destined long to be held in grateful remembrance for his part in developing the
Golden State, is Jonathan Harmon, who crossed the great plains with his father's
family in 1852, a well-to-do rancher and prominent old settler of the vicinity of
Santa Ana. They traveled with mule teams, and spent five years as placer miners in
the gold regions of Sierra and Plumas counties. In 1857 the family moved to Peta-



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 75 of 191)