Samuel Armor.

History of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present online

. (page 76 of 191)
Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 76 of 191)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


luma, in Sonoma County, and so it happened that they saw California in her forma-
tive days.

Mr. Harmon was born at Olean, N. Y., on October 8, 1841, the son of Luther N.
Harmon, who was born in Suffield, Conn., a member of the same family as the Hon.
Judson Harmon, ex-Governor of Ohio. Two Harmon brothers came from England
to America in 1645, and John was the progenitor of this family. While in Erie County,
New York, Luther Harmon married Miss Martha Hall; and he being a hatter, and she a
tailoress, they were able somewhat to work together in times that were hard. It is
no wonder that with a state of affairs when there was little or no money, the effect
of the discovery of gold in California was such as to induce the elder Harmon to
migrate to the Pacific Coast and to try his fortune here. He set out from Grand
Rapids, Mich., in 1850, mined for gold successfully, and had the good fortune to be
here early enough to vote upon the admission of the state. But he did not reach
that goal without adventures that might have cost him more than they did. On his
first trip across the plains in 1850, the Indians stole his horses, and he had to travel
300 miles afoot. Later, however, he went back to Michigan, and in 1852 brought his
family here.

Jonathan Harmon grew up in Petaluma, and early worked in the mines in the
northern part of the state, and at Petaluma, in 1870, he was married to Miss Martha
E. Warren, a native of Lorain County, Ohio, who came to California with her parents
in 1864. In Sonoma County Mr. Harmon cleared a farm of the stumps and improved
the place, and little by little set out orchards until he had one of the show places in
Sonoma County, with a large, beautiful residence and farm buildings. He had a variety
of fruit trees, and at the Sonoma County fair took the sweepstake premium for the
finest exhibit of fruit from one farm. However, wishing to locate in Southern Cali-
fornia, he came south to Santa Ana, in what was then Los Angeles County, in 1888,
at the height of the boom, and bought sixty acres of land; and to this he has added
from time to time by subsequent purchases, so that he is now owner of 140 acres of the
most desirable land. He has sunk wells and equipped a pumping plant not only suffi-
cient to irrigate his own ranch, but furnishes water for irrigation to several of his
neighbors. His ranch is equipped with cement pipe lines, this complete irrigating sys-
tem making it one of the most valuable ranches in the district.

He is a member of the First Methodist Episcopal Church of Santa Ana. as was
Mrs. Harmon, who died in 1918, at the fine old age of seventy-two years. Two children
blessed their fortunate union: Edward W., a successful dairyman on a part of the
Harmon ranch, and John W., an orchardist at Nuevo, in Riverside County.

As a Republican, Mr. Harmon voted for Abraham Lincoln — the first vote he ever
cast — an incident of which not so very many men living can boast; but he is really
nonpartisan, especially in his attitude toward local men and measures, and always
endeavors to satisfy his conscience, and to base his action on principle. In recent
years he has favored Prohibition.




eJ}Uttcud. %



-OAyyT^cn/iy



HISTORY OF cmAXGE COUNTY 639

YARD W. HANNUM.— A well-trained and thoroughly efficient public official
is \"ard W. Hannum. the city electrician and superintendent of the Municipal Power
House at Anaheim. He was born in Hart. Oceana County. Mich., on June 28, 1883, and
reared and educated there, duly graduating from the local high school. Then he went
to New York City and took the excellent courses at the New York Electrical School,
and from 1910 he was employed in the electrical department of the Union Carbide
Company at Sault Sainte Marie. Mich., after which he was a year wth the .A.lgoma
Steel Company on the Canadian side.

In the fall of 1911 Mr. Hannum came to California and entered the service of the
Pacific Electric Railroad Company. Los Angeles, giving them a year in their electrical
department, in installation work at the substation. On August 12, 1912. he came to
Anaheim and commenced to work for the mimicipality. He began in a somewhat
subordinate capacity, as one of the engineers, then as foreman, and gradually and
properly worked his way up to his present responsible post, to which he was appointed
m February, 1917.

Mr. Hannum has charge of the operation of the power plant, and is also re-
sponsible for electrical inspection of the city, so that, with the necessity of keeping
thoroughly apace with the last word of science and mechanics, and the actual labor
of installing, repairing and renewing parts of the system, it will be seen that he is a
very busy man. Fortunately for the city of Anaheim, he had years of most valuable
experience before he came, to which his day and night labors are constantly adding,
and he is fond of hard work, and both mentally and physically able to bear the strain.

In December, 1912, Mr. Hannum was married to Miss Bessie L. Palmiter of
Hart, Mich., a charming lady, capable at all times of creating for herself a desirable
circle of devoted friends, and herself devoted to others, and ready for any good work.
Mr. Hannum belongs to the Wigton Lodge No. 251, F. & A. M., at Hart, Mich, and
to Anaheim Lodge No. 1345 of the Elks.

WILLIAM H. PHILLIPS.— A veteran citrus grower who may well take pride
in his accomplishment, including the rebudding on an entire grove with his own
hands, is William H. Phillips, a splendid old man of nearly eighty years, living on
Fairhaven Avenue near Prospect in Orange. He was born near Munfordville. Ky.,
on June 7, 1842. the son of William Newton and Mary (Moss) Phillips, old settlers
of that state. He grew up on his father's farm of 400 acres located on the Green
River, and enjoyed a good grammar school education and the comforts of a good
home. At twenty-one he left home to seek his own fortune. He purchased seventy-
five acres across the Green River from his old home, and started to farm. He also
married, in October, 1871, Miss Emma Hodges, who was born in the vicinity of
Munfordville, and received a .good education at Georgetown College. She made
her home with her parents until she was married, and for seven years after they took
up their residence on the farm she enjoyed life there, when she passed away.

In 1878 Mr. Phillips sold out his holdings, and with four motherless children
started for California, arriving in Santa Ana on March 17. 1878. Porter, the eldest
of the family, died in California at the age of twenty. William Albert is living at
Orange, and is in the real estate business. Cora Hanson is married to Edward Gray,
and is living with Mr. Phillips in Fairhaven. Mary K. is married to L. Hutchins
of Alhambra. In 1880 Mr. Phillips was married to Mary Ella Crozier, a widowed
mother of two children — Payne and Nancy, and this union was blessed with two
children — Robert Ethel and Ernest C. Robert Ethel is a graduate of the Cumnock
School of Expression, and is now teaching at that institution, and Ernest C. Phillips,
also a graduate of the above school, traveled a season with Madame Modjeska and her
company, and is now teaching expression in the Santa .\na high school.

After arriving in California, Mr. Phillips purchased twenty acres on Tustin and
Fairhaven thoroughfares, land now owned by Henry Rohrs, which was devoted to
general farming. He raised two crops of potatoes each year for nineteen consecutive
years, and also raised some corn, broom corn and popcorn. He lived there for eleven
years, and there the children grew up. In 1889 he removed to Tustin. to his wife's
ranch, where the next nineteen years were spent.

In 1908 Mr. Phillips purchased his present home site of ten acres on Fairhaven.
Avenue. It is devoted to birdded Yalencias, and he has one of the finest orchards in
all Orange County. The grove is under the Santa Ana Valley Irrigation Company.
Here he built for himself a beautiful home and large garage, and made many other
improvements. He is a live citizen, and aims to support the right candidate, rather
than any party. He is a member of the McPherson Heights Citrus .Association and
is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. He is now one among the
oldest settlers in these parts, and has aided materially in its upbuilding.



660 HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

JOSEPH H. MEFFORD.— Among the ablest drillers of water wells in Orange
County — an industry, by the way, of greatest importance to the ranchers of this section,
and one requiring, more and more, men of highest expert training — is J. H. Meflford.
who has resided in Santa Ana for twelve years, and in Orange County ever since its
organization. He was here, in fact, "before the creation," for he was born in San
Diego County, on February 17, 1869, and as a boy roamed over the picturesque area
now dotted with towns and thousands of homes. He came to the Westminster country
in Los Angeles, now Orange, County when a lad, and grew up on a farm there. He
also attended the public schools; and if they were not of the best or their sessions of
the longest, he got out of the instruction imparted what he could.

When old enough to do so, Mr. Meflford began to work in the water fields. He
sought and secured a position with Joe Caldwell of Westminster, than whom, perhaps,
no better master mechanic could be found engaged in that occupation; with the result,
that when he had hnished his apprenticeship, he and Joe were about evenly mated,
the one scoring some points of advantage over the other.

In October, 1917, at Riverside, Mr. Meflford was married to Mrs. J. H. Roberts,
whose maiden name was Laura J. Clatworthy, a native of England who came to
and settled in America, and finally very wisely chose California for her home, where
she has lived for twenty-five years. With her domestic experience, she was able to
accord home comforts to our subject, and thus to help lighten the arduous work in
which he was daily engaged, and by which he was to build up that enviable reputation
of having drilled good wells all over the county.

Mr. Meflford started in business for himself at Santa Ana twenty years ago. and
since then he has contributed much to the great work of developing water in Southern
California. He understands the difificult technical processes involved, and he also
has special gifts in divining the sources of good water. His years of hard labor
have enabled him to boast of hundreds of satisfied customers, and among other places
of note owing half of their success, in the matter of natural resources, to his skill
in commanding an adequate water supply, may l)e mentioned the famous Irvine Ranch.
Mr. and Mrs. Meflford live at 1004 West Fourth Street. Santa Ana, where they dispense
a whole-hearted hospitality to their friends.

Mr. Meflford enlisted for service in the Spanish-American War in Company L,
Seventh Regiment, United States Volunteers, and was encamped in San Francisco.
For twenty years he was a member of the Orange County baseball nines, and in that
wholesome sport he is favorably known by many.

MRS. MARY N. TONEY.— A well-traveled resident of Santa Ana. who has
chosen Southern California for her home, and has come to be favorably known as
one of the successful orange growers contributing to the wealth of the Golden State,
is Mrs. Mary E. Toney, widow of the late S. Toliver Toney, of 826 North Raker
Street. She was born near Little Rock, Ark., on March 30, 1854, the daughter of
Benjamin and Sobrina (Stover) Large. Her father was a blacksmith by trade, and
he also became a landowner in Arkansas. When three years old, she was brought
by her parents to California and given a home in Shasta County, where Mr. Large
followed his trade at the mining centers. After a while he purchased some Shasta
County acreage and engaged in cattle raising.

In 1859 Mr. Large sold out and removed to Hydesville, Humboldt County,
where he followed his usual occupation, and from there he went to Trinity County,
where he had a shop and ran a hotel at Hayfork, near Weaverville, for a short time.
Then he went up into Shasta County on the old overland stage trail between Red
Bluff and Yreka. and opened the Loomis House, which he conducted for several
years, becoming well-known to all the early travelers. He returned to Hay Fork,
bought a hotel, and ran it till he moved to Miendocino County. He made several
moves, and finally passed away at Hayfork. The old hotel is owned by his daughter
and conducted as the Kellogg Hotel by his grandson. Mr. Large was a Democrat in
politics and a Mason.

It was in Mendocino County that Miss Mary Large met and married, at Willits,
on November 8, 1870, S. Toliver Toney, a native of Fayette County, Texas, where
he was born on November- 17, 1846. His parents were Seth and Mary Adaline (Cox)
■Toney, natives of Mississippi and Georgia, respectively. When S. Toliver was eight
years of age the family came overland to California from Texas, during which time
the Indians were very troublesome, but the wagon train, of which Seth Toney was
captain, managed to get through all right, due, perhaps, to the fact that the captain
understood Indians, having fought as a volunteer from Texas in the Mexican War.
.'Arriving in California, the Toney family stopped for a time at El Monte, then moved
on to Mendocino County and built up a fine home place near Willits. The reason of
the Toney immigration to California was that Mrs. Seth Toney's father, the Rev.



HISTORY OF ORAXGE COUNTY ' 663

John Toliver Cox, and family had preceded them, having come by the Isthmus of
Panama in the early SO's, settling first at San Bernardino. Reverend Cox was a
Methodist preacher, and was well known all over the state of California. He finally
settled near Santa Rosa, and when he died, about 1866, he had accomplished much
for humanity during his span of life. He is buried at Mark West in Sonoma County,
tie was a member of the Masonic fraternity.

S. Toliver Toney was extensively engaged in the raising of sheep in Mendocino
County, and Mrs. Toney lived for eleven years near Willitts. Then Mr. Toney sold
out, and the industrious couple, feeling the need of rest, spent some time in travel.
P'inally, in 1884, he settled in New Mexico, where Mr. Toney purchased land near
Lordsburg and Silver City and again engaged in cattle raising. In 1909, however,
he removed to Douglas, Ariz., where he met with his best success in the cattle industry.

In 1914 Mr. Toney settled up his afiairs in Arizona, came to Santa Ana, and
purchased a half acre of oranges and a home on East Seventeenth Street, and there,
on July 20, 1916, he passed away and was buried at Redlands. He had a wide circle
of admiring friends. Mrs. Toney lived at the Seventeenth Street home until February
18, 1920, when the place was sold, and a week later her present home at 826 North
Baker Street was purchased. This is a three-acre grove, one-third of which is set
out to oranges, and two-thirds to walnuts and apricots.

Mrs. Toney is a member of the Spurgeon Memorial Methodist Church of Santa
Ana, and continues to take a live interest in public affairs, as did her lamented hus-
band, who was a school director in both Arizona and New Mexico. She has had
six children, and three are still granted her. Mrs. Sarah C. Harper is the widow of
the late Francis M. Harper of Deming, New Mexico. William Toliver is a cattleman
of Superior, Ariz. Mrs. Maude E. Cox is the widow of Thomas M. Cox. and lives at
home with her mother. She was born in Alhambra, N. M., attended the district
schools of Silver City, in that state, and on March 7, 1906, was tnarried to Thomas
M. Cox. Mrs. Toney has fifteen grandchildren and eleven great-grandchildren living.

DALLISON SMITH LINEBARGER.— Prominent both in civic affairs and in
the horticultural development of Orange County, Dallison Smith Linebarger is a native
of Oregon, born near Albany, .\ugust 1, 1862. When he was a small child the family
uioved to California, and he was reared in Ventura County, where he later followed
stock raising and ranching. As early as 1899 he located in Fullerton, and bought the
livery stable of Thomas Jennings, and with two partners established the business under
the firm name of Davis, Drown and Linebarger. They also owned a branch stable at
Olinda and besides doing a large livery business they did teaming to the oil fields,
hauling derricks and machinery. Mr. Linebarger was general manager of the concern,
which was conducted on an unusually large scale, using fifty head of horses, a large bus.
and all the necessary equipment for the success of such an establishment.

During this time Mr. Linebarger followed ranching as a side issue, raising stock
and grain in Los Angeles and Orange counties, also owning an orange grove near
Yorba. which he later sold. In 1910, he sold out his interest in the livery business and
that year he began the development of some land which later was increased to about
seventy acres, lying between Fullerton and Brea. and this he has devloped into one of
the finest orange and lemon orchards in the county; forty-two acres are in lemons,
and the balance in Navel and Valencia oranges. It has taken large sums of money
and hard work to bring the property into its present state of cultivation, but the right
man was at the helm, and it is now in full bearing, with three wells and pumping plants
installed and cement pipe lines for irrigating purposes; one of the show places of
Orange County.

As further evidence of his devotion to the advancement of his section, Mr. Line-
barger has served ten years as supervisor of Orange County, lieing elected to the
oftice three times on the Democratic ticket in a strong Republican district, the Third.
During his term of oftice the good roads movement was started, and many of the
beautiful lioulevards which have made Orange County famous were begun by the sale
of bonds.

The marriage of Mr. Linebarger. which occurred in Ventura County in 1882,
united him with Ellen Stone, and six children were born to them, five of whom are
living: Cephas A.. William L., Archie A.. Mrs. Clara McWilliams, and Clema D. The
sons are all ranching for themselves and meeting with the success warranted by the
sons of such a father. It is to such men as Dallison Smith Linebarger that Orange
County owes its rapid rise to prosperity, and they and their families make up the
representative citizenry of this wonderful county, which stands apart even in a state
full of wonders. Mr. Linebarger is a member of the Fullerton Lodge of Odd Fellows.



664 ■ HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY

GEORGE L. WRIGHT. — A wide-awake caterer to the public, who has come to
establish one of the most prosperous enterprises in Santa Ana, is George L. Wright,
proprietor of Wright's Transfer, now an indispensable organization in local life. He
was born near Osage, in Mitchell County, Iowa, on July 23, 1860, the son of John A.
Wright, a farmer. His mother before her marriage was Miss Mary Fay. The family
came West and the father died in California four years later, or in 1913. The good
mother also passed away. There were seven children in the family, and George was
the third child.

He attended the schools of Iowa as a boy, and then helped his father at farm
work. Then he wandered to South Dakota for a couple of years, and on December 19,
1885. arrived in Santa Ana. For a year he busied himself with real estate, and then
he worked as a carpenter until he went into the transfer business. On July 3, 1887,
he started his venture with one horse, and now, as the oldest transfer proprietor in
the city, and the one operating most extensively, he has three auto trucks, and cares
for most of the Santa Ana transfer trade.

But Mr. Wright has not only made a success in private business enterprises, he
has also participated, as a man full of civic pride, in public life. His national political
bias makes him a Republican, and his known fitness for the responsibility of a city
father led to his being elected councilman for four years. He held office during the
term when the city hall was erected, and he was also charged with the duty of
providing an addition to the waterworks and of extending the city's paving. One of
the pioneers of Santa .\na, he has seen the city grow from a mere village.

Mr. Wright has resided here long enough to recount the building-up of the entire
city of Santa Ana, and in fact the development of Orange County, for he tells of
when there were but few business blocks — and they were of pioneer construction —
and the streets were unpaved. Nor were there any oranges or walnuts growing here-
abouts; the principal industry was the growing of grapes for raisins but the soil was
not adapted for their successful culture and the business was later abandoned. He
remembers the time when but ten carloads of oranges were shipped from the state
and when 110 cars of raisins were sent out from Orange alone. The old pioneers are
passing away and to hear such men as Mr. Wright tell again the story of the local
conditions is an interesting" circumstance. He has always put his shoulder to the wheel
and given every project the necessary "boost" to bring Orange County before the eyes
of the world at large.

In 1887 Mr. Wright married Emma Moore, and their union was blessed with the
birth of four children. Fay Linton has been both a private soldier and instructor in the
United States Aviation service and he married Miss Avis Winkle, born in Orange
County the daughter of a pioneer family; while Mary has become Mrs. E. T. Brennan.
Burton is at Berkeley, attending the State University. Vera died when she was ten and
a half years of age. The family are Unitarians and Mr. Wright belongs to the Odd
Fellows, the Woodmen of the World, and the Fraternal Brotherhood.

ALBERT C. WILLIAMS. — .\ financier and a vigorous promoter of everything
calculated to steady the financial resources of both Tustin and Orange County, .Albert
C. Williams is a native son of California, born near Healdsburg, Sonoma County,
October IS, 18S8, the only son of Washington Williams, who was born in Missouri
and came to California, across the plains, in 1853. Here he had married Elizabeth
Martin, a native of Tennessee, and a member of a family well-known in Georgia,
whence they originated. They came to California in 1856 by the overland route, in
an ox-team train, and located in Sonoma County, and so they also became pioneers
of the Golden State. Mrs. Williams failed to enjoy the best of health in the North,
and she and her husband came south to Tustin in 1874, arriving here on September
23, after twenty-two days of hardship, crossing the mountains with teams. Washington
Williams died in 1911, and his devoted wife followed him three years later.

After completing this arduous journey with all their supplies. Mr. Williams and
his family located on twenty acres on what is now known as Williams Street — a
thoroughfare bearing their name — and McFadden Street, in Tustin, and Albert C.
Williams, in 1874, helped his father to erect the temporary dwelling that two years
later was supplanted by a better home. The son also worked upon the farm, while
he attended the grammar school at Tustin. His father acquired twenty-four acres
at Delhi, which was also farmed to grain and stock. He was an agriculturist and an
horticulturist, and he owned several threshing outfits. Associated with his father,
A. C. Williams withstood the disastrous effects of the several dry years, and by
"sticking it out" reaped the benefits. In 1880 he took a trip north to Oregon, driving
four horses hitched to a big covered wagon, going via Siskiyou and Jacksonville,
returning' to Crescent City, Cal., and there he remained for a winter, coming back
to Tustin in May, 1881. When he was twenty-two years old he worked a vineyard,



HISTORY OF ORANGE COUNTY 667

at Villa Park, raising grapes, apricots and apples. He set the land later to walnuts,
receiving as his share sixteen acres of the thirty-six acres. At the present time he
owns nine acres — four and a half on each side of Williams Street — and his last crop
of walnuts was nine tons. He markets through the Santa Ana ^^alnut Association,
and is a member of the Santa Ana Valley Irrigation Company. In 1888 he went north
to Fresno County, purchased eighty acres there, and set the same out as a vineyard.
He also has financial interests in oil and mining stocks.

On November 6, 1889, Mr. Williams was married to Caroline Fatima England,
a native of Calaveras County, Cal., and three children have made still happier their
union: Ralph E. married Miss Lorina Burd of Santa Ana, and they have one son,



Online LibrarySamuel ArmorHistory of Orange County, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its earliest growth and development from the early days to the present → online text (page 76 of 191)